We Shall Remain

Ken G.
User is offlineOffline
We Shall Remain

Has anyone been following the series on PBS (The American Experience) about the Native Americans plight.    

ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
User is offlineOffline
:o

No, but I thought it was ironic that Bush was getting Native Americans evicted of their land, and relocating them...again....

..to build a fence through their land along the Mexican border that is designed to keep out foreigners.

Theism is why we can't have nice things.

treat2 (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
Yup. It's one thing that

Yup.

It's one thing that reminded me of a topic that inspired my thread about Atheists and Ethnic / Traditions.

I take it that if you've seen the thread that you've an idea of exactly what I had in mind.

At the same time, the Native Americans in the series spoke as if they were devoted to their ethnic origins, their tribe, their religion, and their traditions.

I thought it would be interesting to not simply juxtaposes what answers I expected from Atheists, but for some Atheists to understand that which the personally identify themselves with beyond such mundane stuff as "humanity", etc.

It's been an interesting series... I've seen the episodes about Geronimo, and Wounded Knee, thus far.

Ken G.
User is offlineOffline
ClockCat wrote: Bush took native land for border fence.

Leave it to Bush    That is really f<>ked up,its a wonder that I've never heard of this atrocity. I did however hear about T Boone Pickens scheme to buy up land in the South West ,not for wind turbines ,but for water rights.Maybe some of this land belonged to Native Americans ?  

Signature ? How ?

crazymonkie
Silver Member
crazymonkie's picture
User is offlineOffline
Nope. There wasn't enough

Nope. There wasn't enough water close to the surface for native settlements- even semi- or fully nomadic ones- to grow and thrive. Around here, you've got to DIG for the water- and it comes out tasting horribly. But, water is water- we all need it, and we use a lot of it. T. Boone's land grab under the flag of 'reformed Republican creepiness' isn't anything more than a land grab. Err.... a water rights grab. He's also been trying to sell the water on his own land to cities about a hundred miles away. And he thinks he can do it because they're downhill from him, and their backup water supply is uphill (though much closer.)

OrdinaryClay wrote:
If you don't believe your non-belief then you don't believe and you must not be an atheist.

Ken G.
User is offlineOffline
crazymonkie wrote:Nope there wasn't enough water etc...

Since when did the government ever care where they relocated a Native tribe ?