What do you think of when you buy your 'organic' food?

Tapey
atheist
Tapey's picture
User is offlineOffline

Just because i've seen many people say they buy 'organic' food here. (nothing wrong with that)

Do you know what you are really buying? Here is a lovely articale I read about a week ago (I hope it is the right one)

http://www.wesjones.com/pollan2.htm

(it really is interesting but to long for me to spew out here)

I'm sure most of you think of a beautifull countryside where there is no monoculture, small family farms and things like that, Not many people realise that most 'organic' farms are owned by the the heavy weights in the monoculture game. So when you buy your lovely 'natural' 'organic' food where does your money go? Why it goes to to the people you were trying to avoid buying from. Now im not saying there are no true 'organic farmers'. But most of the organic food people eat is actually what is being called industrial-organic. Nothing wrong with it as such, but all the additives are there, intensive transport is still there etc. Just thought it would be nice to know if you diddn't already.

http://www.relocalize.net/organic_food_industrial_vs_classic

Who owns the organic food industry?

http://www.certifiedorganic.bc.ca/rcbtoa/services/corporate-ownership.html

btw organic TV dinners...WTF, its such a cool idea.

That is all.

Whatever goes upon two legs is an enemy.
Whatever goes upon four legs, or has wings, is a friend.
No animal shall wear clothes.
No animal shall sleep in a bed.
No animal shall drink alcohol.
No animal shall kill any other animal.
All animals are equal.

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 To the FDA, "organic" is a

To the FDA, "organic" is a meaningless term, so far as I know.  The best bet if you really want straight from the ground unadulterated food is to find local growers at a local farmers market.  But be warned -- even local distributors of local foods routinely supplement their local produce with whatever they need to fill out their orders.  Don't fool yourself into thinking that restaurants and markets can always have everything on hand just from local suppliers.  

Let me make this absolutely clear.  If we were to completely eschew corporate farming, we would lose the entire restaurant and supermarket industry as we know it.  You would eat what you could get, and your choices would be severely limited.  Restaurants would have menus that changed daily or weekly, and would probably only have a few items each day, as opposed to twenty or thirty.  The quality of your food would vary wildly.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

mrjonno
User is offlineOffline
I don't touch organic food

I don't touch organic food on environmental grounds.

Organic food means more space used to grow food which means less food and more dead African babies.

Far more importantly it costs more

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Meh.  Pick your poison.If

Meh.  Pick your poison.

If lots of babies don't die, we'll all die eventually.  By we, I mean humans, not this generation.  I've wondered sometimes if the sustainable human population limit is determined by the limit of "organic" growing capacity.  I have no idea.  It's just a thought that's occurred to me.

If "organic" farming becomes really popular, it'll cause problems.  If it doesn't, corporate farming will cause a different set of problems.

In the end, it all boils down to this:  There are too many fucking people.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

Books about atheism

Tapey
atheist
Tapey's picture
User is offlineOffline
  Hambydammit wrote: Let

Hambydammit wrote:

Let me make this absolutely clear.  If we were to completely eschew corporate farming, we would lose the entire restaurant and supermarket industry as we know it.  You would eat what you could get, and your choices would be severely limited.  Restaurants would have menus that changed daily or weekly, and would probably only have a few items each day, as opposed to twenty or thirty.  The quality of your food would vary wildly.

Exactly why I wouldn't advicate it, all the same people should know what they get may not be exctly what they think they are getting. lol Mrjonno

All animals are equal.

Tapey
atheist
Tapey's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote: In the

Hambydammit wrote:

In the end, it all boils down to this:  There are too many people fucking.

Fixed your mistake 

All animals are equal.

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 In a hypothetical perfect

In a hypothetical perfect world, I'd happily give up the food business in exchange for a world with a third as many people in it and 0% population growth.  In this world, I buy from Sysco, which is the equivalent of Walmart for food suppliers, and gets virtually all of their food from corporate farms.  It's a lot cheaper, and the only way to stay in business.

Books about atheism

mr804
Special AgentSuperfan
mr804's picture
User is offlineOffline
What do I think? I think

What do I think? I think "GOD DAMN, 6 DOLLAR MOTHER FUCKER CARROTS?!"

Funny thing happened here at our local farm fresh. They destroyed the organic section and put up "booze city" in it's place. Now you can get every 5 dollar bottle of wine on the planet. 

ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
User is offlineOffline
:3

I eat pretty much only organic. I read the labels on the foods that I buy that are prepackaged.

My reasons? To minimalize intake of pesticides and untested GM foods.

Some vegetables and fruits do not "absorb" the pesticides used on them as well as others. And some, like tomatoes, absorb a lot.

For beef, I generally try and get free-ranged cattle that are grass fed, because grass fed cows have significantly more nutritional value than corn fed ones.

I could care less if it helps or hurts other people. I'm just doing it for my own personal gain. I consider it an investment for my health.

Also, I try to avoid pre-made foods and make them fresh myself as much as possible. Even organic prepackaged meals I try and avoid.

It tastes better, and I enjoy cooking.

Yes, people say it offers more sustainability in the areas that it is done. I don't really care that much, I just prefer the best for myself.

Theism is why we can't have nice things.

ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
User is offlineOffline
:3

mr804 wrote:

What do I think? I think "GOD DAMN, 6 DOLLAR MOTHER FUCKER CARROTS?!"

Funny thing happened here at our local farm fresh. They destroyed the organic section and put up "booze city" in it's place. Now you can get every 5 dollar bottle of wine on the planet. 

Wine isn't bad for you.

I have a good selection of organic wines here in fact.

Theism is why we can't have nice things.

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
mrjonno wrote:I don't touch

mrjonno wrote:

I don't touch organic food on environmental grounds.

Organic food means more space used to grow food which means less food and more dead African babies.

Far more importantly it costs more

The only solution is suicide, otherwise you are giving millions of African babies a death sentence.

Hitler, Stalin, Pol Pot and the leaders of the Rwandan genocide should be viewed as humanitarians for lowering the population through genocide and reducing the number of dead babies.

Taxation is the price we pay for failing to build a civilized society. The higher the tax level, the greater the failure. A centrally planned totalitarian state represents a complete defeat for the civilized world, while a totally voluntary society represents its ultimate success. --Mark Skousen

geirj
geirj's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote: In this

Hambydammit wrote:

In this world, I buy from Sysco,

AKA Satanco.

Local is better any day, in my book. I'd rather buy something that was grown with 100 miles of my house. If something is grown organixally in California and then shipped 1,000 miles to me, the CO2 emissions pretty much negate any benefit of the organic nature of the food.

Nobody I know was brainwashed into being an atheist.

Why Believe?

Tapey
atheist
Tapey's picture
User is offlineOffline
geirj wrote:Hambydammit

geirj wrote:

Hambydammit wrote:

In this world, I buy from Sysco,

AKA Satanco.

Local is better any day, in my book. I'd rather buy something that was grown with 100 miles of my house. If something is grown organixally in California and then shipped 1,000 miles to me, the CO2 emissions pretty much negate any benefit of the organic nature of the food.

That is what is called industial-Organic. 'supermarket' food that was grown organicly. I really don't have  problem with any of the choices, each come with there own set of problems, but I do think it is kinda controdictory the whole industrial organic thing. To me it just sounds like a feel good thing so people can say 'I eat organic' with just an added price when it still harms. But maybe that is just me....

Just be aware of what you are buying then make your decision is all i say

All animals are equal.

spike.barnett
Superfan
spike.barnett's picture
User is offlineOffline
Tapey wrote:What do you

Tapey wrote:

I don't buy organic. but if I did I would probably think:

"Did I just pay that much because something had an 'organic' label on it? I must be out of my monkey fighting mind!"

After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him.

The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.
MySpace