Why an atheist based morality is inferior

OrdinaryClay
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Why an atheist based morality is inferior

Let's set up a simple game. We'll call it Moral. It is a two person non-zero sum game.

Suppose you have the following conditions for the game:
1) A moral choice that each player agrees exists. Each player has two available strategies: one, make the moral choice (do the right thing), and two, not make the moral choice (cheat).
2) Defined individually preferred payoffs based on adherence to this moral choice, where the payoff is greater for either player if that player can silently cheat the system.

The game does not rely on what the exact details of the moral choice is only that the players agree what it is. As it exists both players when acting with rational self interest will choose to cheat.

Suppose we add a third condition:
3) A third party judge that both players believe exists and is omniscient and fair. Both players also agree that this judge can punish cheating by reducing payoffs to zero.

The game does not rely on the judge actually existing only that the players believe he exists. The judge adds the component of complete knowledge. If the omniscient judge does not exist and there is no notion of complete knowledge the players are more prone to cheat the system.

SSBBJunky
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
butterbattle

butterbattle wrote:

BostonRedSox wrote:

In biblical times, people willingly became slaves in order to pay off debt.  The practice of kidnapping people and turning them into slaves was condemned by the bible.

Oh, really? What about these?

Both thy bondmen, and thy bondmaids, which thou shalt have, shall be of the heathen that are round about you; of them shall ye buy bondmen and bondmaids. Moreover of the children of the strangers that do sojourn among you, of them shall ye buy, and of their families that are with you, which they begat in your land: and they shall be your possession. And ye shall take them as an inheritance for your children after you, to inherit them for a possession; they shall be your bondmen forever. Leviticus 25:44-46

"Have you allowed all the women to live?" he asked them. They were the ones who followed Balaam's advice and were the means of turning the Israelites away from the Lord in what happened at Peor, so that a plague struck the Lord's people. Now kill all the boys. And kill every woman who has slept with a man, but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man. Numbers 31:15-18

Quote:
Plus, the word of God will inevitably be interpreted through a community at a particular period in time.  Of course slavery is going to be mentioned in the bible if God revealed himself to the world in that particular century.  

This is irrelevant. The question is whether God condones slavery. If slavery is mentioned at all, it should be God trying to end it, instead of:

"Then the Lord said to Moses..." Exodus 20:22

"If a man sells his daughter as a servant, she is not to go free as menservants do." Exodus 21:7

"If a man beats his male or female slave with a rod and slave dies as a result, he must be punished, but he is not to be punished if the slave gets up after a day or two, since the slave is his property." Exodus 21:20-21

So BRS, which is it?

Did God change his mind? Or is the slavery in the bible still 'right' today?

''Black Holes result from God dividing the universe by zero.''

BostonRedSox
Troll
User is offlineOffline
SSBBJunky wrote:So BRS,

SSBBJunky wrote:

So BRS, which is it?

The question is flawed.  It is not a dichotomy between God changing his mind and slavery being moral.  Slavery is an act without any inherent moral implications.  It simply refers to using a human as personal property.  There are instances where that can be moral and instances where that can be immoral.  If someone in a particular time period offers himself as a slave to pay a debt, then that is not immoral.  In the modern age, it is not necessary because we have developed more advanced mediums of exchange.  The race-related slavery of the Confederacy was nothing like the slavery of the biblical era. Africans were being kidnapped and enslaved without consent.  

So no, God never changed his mind.

Jormungander
atheistScience Freak
Jormungander's picture
User is offlineOffline
If we are going to use game

If we are going to use game theory, then let's do it right. Specify the points given to each person on each outcome. This half-assed use of game theory is just an attempt to hide the weakness of the author's point behind vague language. Be very specific about the outcomes of the game and I'll take it as a serious analogy.

So just fill this in for me:

Situation                                                                         Points awarded to A               Points awarded to B

Players A and B select moral choice

Player A selects moral choice, player B cheats

Player B selects moral choice, player A cheats

Fill out the points awarded for each senario and we'll really be using game theory. Until that happens, we are just using a strained and inaccurate analogy.

"You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their necks and we hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours."
British General Charles Napier while in India

Jormungander
atheistScience Freak
Jormungander's picture
User is offlineOffline
BostonRedSox wrote:The

BostonRedSox wrote:

The race-related slavery of the Confederacy was nothing like the slavery of the biblical era. Africans were being kidnapped and enslaved without consent.  

Nothing like slavery-defending apologetics to reveal intellectual bankruptcy. What's that you say? God advocated kidnapping foreigners to be used as slaves? Just like kidnapping Africans I suppose.

Starting from Lev. 25:44:

"You may have male and female slaves, but buy them from the nations around you. You may also buy them from the foreigners living among you and from their families born in your country. They will be your property. You may acquire them for yourselves and for your descendants as permanent property. You may work them as slaves."

Sounds like chattel slavery to me. Permanent life-long human property taken from foreign nations that will be the property of your children after you die. Keep in mind that an Isrealite owning another Isrealite is following a system of temporary indentured servatude. An Isrealite owning a foreigner was life-long chattel slavery.

And how did these moral, freindly Isrealite slave-masters treat their chattel slaves?:

Exodus 21:

20"If a man strikes his male or female slave with a rod and he dies at his hand, he shall be punished.

21"If, however, he survives a day or two, no vengeance shall be taken; for he is his property

Hmm, so beating a slave so severly that the slave needs 24-48 hours to recover as A-OK. Just don't kill the slave. Severe beatings are fine, but killing is crossing the line. And this is the morality-neutral slavery as justified by the Bible? Or perhaps should we condem all forms of slavery, even those that weren't practiced by certain US states historically? I think that I'll condem all slavery, even the Biblical kind, as amoral and undefendable.

But please, enlighten us as to how slavery is morality neutral. Explain how robbing someone of their freedom so that you can work them (and I suppose senslessely beat them as Exodus 21 condones) and own them as property is morality neutral.

"You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their necks and we hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours."

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Jormungander wrote:If we are

Jormungander wrote:

If we are going to use game theory, then let's do it right. Specify the points given to each person on each outcome. This half-assed use of game theory is just an attempt to hide the weakness of the author's point behind vague language. Be very specific about the outcomes of the game and I'll take it as a serious analogy.

Situation                                                                         Points awarded to A               Points awarded to B

Fill out the points awarded for each senario and we'll really be using game theory. Until that happens, we are just using a strained and inaccurate analogy.

I think option 4 should be "Players A and B cheat"

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin

crazymonkie
Silver Member
crazymonkie's picture
User is offlineOffline
Jormungander wrote:Slavery

Jormungander wrote:
Slavery stuff....

You forgot the passage about how, if an indentured servant's time was over, and he/she wanted to stay, the owner was supposed to nail the servant's ear to a post or door and then keep the servant for the rest of his/her life. Yah. Real defensible.

OrdinaryClay wrote:
If you don't believe your non-belief then you don't believe and you must not be an atheist.

Jormungander
atheistScience Freak
Jormungander's picture
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly wrote:I think

jcgadfly wrote:

I think option 4 should be "Players A and B cheat"

Damn, I used ctrl+c, ctrl+v from the first situation to make the last. I forgot to alter it. But yeah, them both cheating is the fourth situation. And for that matter, situations 2 and 3 are virtually the same. The only difference between them is that the point values awarded to A and B are switched due to their choices being switched.

crazymonkie: Supposedly that ear stuff was nothing more than a peircing. Christians and Jews imagine it as being no worse than what a modern woman has done to her ear so that she can wear ear rings. I remember reading a raptureready.com post in which the poster was horrified that modern women wear ear rings, since that marks them as life-long slaves according the old testament.

Eloise
TheistBronze Member
Eloise's picture
User is offlineOffline
Jormungander wrote:If we are

Jormungander wrote:

From the OP I imagined a unit table along these lines.

Player2 - Moral Player2 - Not Moral
Player1 - Moral 1,1 2,1
Player1 - Not Moral 1,2 2,2

So reflecting the premise that Not Moral has a higher payoff than Moral.

Then, OrdinaryClay adds an end-game arbiter who can reduce all the 2's to zero.

Basically it is like the prisoners dilemma and concludes that rational self-interest drives the players towards the riskiest category, in this case the risk is, essentially, Pascal's Wager. However we're not asked to analyse the risk, the suggestion is to compare the behaviour of players under this condition to the behaviour of players not under the condition.

To draw this conclusion we're, further, asked to take the Moral action as being agreed upon by the players. Presumably the Judge also agrees, as Nigel pointed out, or we would be unable to conclude which categories are at risk of being nullified. So... assuming that everyone agrees what is Moral.... then only payoffs gained by pre-defined not-moral action are at risk AND when someone gets a not-moral payoff every party agrees it has happened.

So we have:

a. knowledge of which payoffs will be reduced to zero (by extension we have defined what players under the condition know will happen to their payoffs at the end game)

b. a definition of moral as agreed by all parties (not particularly realitisic but it's there) implying that we would also agree.

From that he concludes that actions every party agrees are Moral have been given a boost in numbers by the presence of the judge and says that the judge ensures the players choose morality over rational self-interest.

Theist badge qualifier : Gnostic/Philosophical Panentheist

www.mathematicianspictures.com

SSBBJunky
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
BostonRedSox wrote:SSBBJunky

BostonRedSox wrote:

SSBBJunky wrote:

So BRS, which is it?

The question is flawed.  It is not a dichotomy between God changing his mind and slavery being moral.  Slavery is an act without any inherent moral implications.  It simply refers to using a human as personal property.  There are instances where that can be moral and instances where that can be immoral.  If someone in a particular time period offers himself as a slave to pay a debt, then that is not immoral.  In the modern age, it is not necessary because we have developed more advanced mediums of exchange.  The race-related slavery of the Confederacy was nothing like the slavery of the biblical era. Africans were being kidnapped and enslaved without consent.  

I fail to see how it has no moral implications, but besides that....

That's not the only slavery that the bible condoned. Or is it also moral to beat your ''permanent property'' so hard that it takes him 1 or 2 days to recover?

Or what about this:

''When a man sells his daughter as a slave, she will not be freed at the end of six years as the men are.  If she does not please the man who bought her, he may allow her to be bought back again.  But he is not allowed to sell her to foreigners, since he is the one who broke the contract with her.  And if the slave girl's owner arranges for her to marry his son, he may no longer treat her as a slave girl, but he must treat her as his daughter.  If he himself marries her and then takes another wife, he may not reduce her food or clothing or fail to sleep with her as his wife.  If he fails in any of these three ways, she may leave as a free woman without making any payment.'' (Exodus 21:7-11)

So a man can buy as many sex slaves as he wants as long as he feeds them, clothes them, and fucks them!

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
BostonRedSox wrote:Slavery

BostonRedSox wrote:

Slavery is an act without any inherent moral implications.  It simply refers to using a human as personal property.  There are instances where that can be moral and instances where that can be immoral.  If someone in a particular time period offers himself as a slave to pay a debt, then that is not immoral.  In the modern age, it is not necessary because we have developed more advanced mediums of exchange.  The race-related slavery of the Confederacy was nothing like the slavery of the biblical era. Africans were being kidnapped and enslaved without consent.  

Jeez, how stupid do you think we are? We're not just saying that if the term slavery is used, then whatever was done was immoral. The passages we cited are very descriptive and specific about what was done.

For example, look at the 4 verses below:

"Have you allowed all the women to live?" he asked them. They were the ones who followed Balaam's advice and were the means of turning the Israelites away from the Lord in what happened at Peor, so that a plague struck the Lord's people. Now kill all the boys. And kill every woman who has slept with a man, but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man." Numbers 31:15-18

This is really one of my favorite excerpts from the Bible. It demonstrates just how pathetic the Bible is as a source of morality. Do you realize that's Moses talking and that this procedure was supported by God? Do you realize what he's saying? Apparently, you don't, so I'll explain it to you. Moses is telling the Israelites to kill all of their prisoners of war, but to keep all the virgins as slaves.

"The plunder remaining from the spoils that the soldiers took was 675,000 sheep, 72,000 cattle, 61,000 donkeys and 32,000 women who had never slept with a man." Numbers 31:32-35

Earlier, you said....

Quote:
In biblical times, people willingly became slaves in order to pay off debt.

Clearly, these girls did not willingly become slaves in order to pay off debt. Their entire families were massacred, and they were taken by the opposing army as booty (pun intended).

You also said....

Quote:
The practice of kidnapping people and turning them into slaves was condemned by the bible.

Yeah, have fun reconciling the passages I cited with this statement.

Don't forget this one.

Both thy bondmen, and thy bondmaids, which thou shalt have, shall be of the heathen that are round about you; of them shall ye buy bondmen and bondmaids. Moreover of the children of the strangers that do sojourn among you, of them shall ye buy, and of their families that are with you, which they begat in your land: and they shall be your possession. And ye shall take them as an inheritance for your children after you, to inherit them for a possession; they shall be your bondmen forever. Leviticus 25:44-46

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

BostonRedSox
Troll
User is offlineOffline
Jormungander wrote:Starting

Jormungander wrote:

Starting from Lev. 25:44:

"You may have male and female slaves, but buy them from the nations around you. You may also buy them from the foreigners living among you and from their families born in your country. They will be your property. You may acquire them for yourselves and for your descendants as permanent property. You may work them as slaves."

Sounds like chattel slavery to me. Permanent life-long human property taken from foreign nations that will be the property of your children after you die. Keep in mind that an Isrealite owning another Isrealite is following a system of temporary indentured servatude. An Isrealite owning a foreigner was life-long chattel slavery.

Eh, it does not say "taken from foreign nations."  It says "buy them from the foreigners living among you."  Slaves, by definition, were personal property.  Personal property was bought and sold in a fair exchange and the slaves themselves consented to the practice. Once again, God does not explicitly condemn slavery because the act itself has no inherent moral implications.  God did forbade specific kinds of slavery. 

In the same passage (Exodus 21:16), it states "Anyone who kidnaps another and either sells him or still has him when he is caught must be put to death."

It is also important to remember that the bible itself was not written by God.  It was written by men interpreting God's word.  In the Old Testament, God had not revealed himself in a human form and therefore did not communicate in human language, though the bible is forced to be written in such terms in order to be concomitant with human understanding.  By contrast, Jesus could actually talk to us and the word becomes more clear.  That is why the New Testament is the fulfillment of the old covenant.  

So it is inevitable that the Old Testament is imperfect.  If natural science is allowed to evolve, then why can't the word of God evolve?  Imagine if I cited Aristotle as proof that natural science is a load of horse shit.  

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
BostonRedSox wrote:So it is

BostonRedSox wrote:

So it is inevitable that the Old Testament is imperfect.

Oh, well, if you don't claim that the OT is infallible, then I have no more problems with it.   

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

BostonRedSox
Troll
User is offlineOffline
butterbattle wrote:Oh, well,

butterbattle wrote:

Oh, well, if you don't claim that the OT is infallible, then I have no more problems with it.  

Think of it this way:

Masturbation is not inherently immoral.  It is merely the physical act of sexually stimulating one's self.  The reason that God does not care for it is that it is practically impossible for a human to do it without lusting.  

Likewise, it is practically impossible to own a slave without compromising your humanity. It is practically impossible for personal property to be treated in a humane way.  

And if, in fact, slaves are personal property, then they have no right to take vengeance on a master who beats them.  That is not to say, however, that it is okay for a master to beat his slave.  

Jormungander
atheistScience Freak
Jormungander's picture
User is offlineOffline
BostonRedSox wrote:Eh, it

BostonRedSox wrote:

Eh, it does not say "taken from foreign nations."  It says "buy them from the foreigners living among you."

"You may have male and female slaves, but buy them from the nations around you. You may also buy them from the foreigners living among you and from their families born in your country. They will be your property. You may acquire them for yourselves and for your descendants as permanent property. You may work them as slaves."

Yeah, you can buy foreigners living among you or foreigners living in other nations. That is not different from buying slaves from Africa (whites purchased Africans that other Africans already enslaved, just like Israelites purchasing enslaved foreigners). Purchasing foreigners for life-long slavery is condoned and that is my problem here.

So how did the Israelites not practice chattel slavery again? Buying foreigners that live among you or foreigners that actually live in foreign lands isn't morally different. You are still buying and selling people for the purpose of life-long chattel slavery. I really don't understand attempts at justifying this. I would have thought that apologists would simply denounce all slavery and try to distance modern theologically inspired moral views from the backwards genocidal/chattel slave owning Israelites.

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
BostonRedSox wrote:That is

BostonRedSox wrote:

That is not to say, however, that it is okay for a master to beat his slave.  

But, the Bible does say it is okay.

"If a man beats his male or female slave with a rod and slave dies as a result, he must be punished, but he is not to be punished if the slave gets up after a day or two, since the slave is his property." Exodus 21:20-21

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
BostonRedSox wrote:I've

BostonRedSox wrote:
I've never actually stated that atheist morality is inferior.  That is the original poster's wording.

My mistake: I mixed you up with the original poster.

BostonRedSox wrote:
Your interpretation of the theist worldview is demonstrably false.  The means of revelation has nothing to do with the justification of principles.

If my interpretation of the theist's point of view is "false" (do you mean "inaccurate" or "imprecise" or ... ? ) then let me know which road you want to go down for this conversation: means of revelation or justification. I've definitely mixed you up with OrdinaryClay, and I apologize, because you're probably confused at my replies. If you'd like to compare and contrast atheistic morality vs theistic morality, I have no problem as long as we can stay fairly specific. 

BostonRedSox wrote:
Once again, you are consistently hung up on the genesis of moral knowledge that you conveniently dodge the actual question:  Why is what you believe to be moral true?  I continually hammer the point home that atheists can be moral.  That does not mean that they can provide a rational account for it.

I'm not sure that question ("Why is what you believe to be moral true?" ) the right question. If it's about true and false, that's different than "moral", so the question itself makes no sense. We also can't provide a completely rational account for many of our behaviours. Why do people like to swim? Not swim to catch food, just swim. It seems to come from no rational place, and yet, it's one of our behaviours. Morality is also one of our behaviours. I don't know if finding out why we are moral is pertinent to the conversation, any more than figuring out why some of us like to swim. 

BostonRedSox wrote:
Under the theist worldview, moral principles are concepts which are inherent in the nature of a divine intellect, which is itself inexorable and has a necessary existence.

So neoplatonism. Neoplatonic though comes up a lot on these boards. If you're not familiar with the works of Plotinus, you should check it out. Your use of the word "worldview" gives me the impression that you learned your philosophy from William Lane Craig and friends, who are the only people who use that word with any frequency.

BostonRedSox wrote:
Moral principles have an ontological dependence on a mind.  Therefore, in order for any moral principle to be absolute, the mind that thinks it must also be absolute.

Agreed.

BostonRedSox wrote:
Morals are thereby justified through their nature as necessary principles.

I can see that morals are justified by their nature (it's convoluted, but I can take it as true for the purposes of continuing) but I don't see how that follows from your last two statements.

BostonRedSox wrote:
They are ends in themselves, which is to say that morality constitutes the highest good, whereas under the secular atheist worldview, morality is typically seen as the means to societal affluence and stability.  Thus, right and wrong ends up being defined by the arbitrary needs of society at some random point in time.

I suppose turn-about is fair play if I've misrepresented your idea of morality. Truth be told, I don't think I really understand theistic morality, so you'll have to help me out. As far as secular or naturalistic morality, your characterization is mostly wrong. Not totally wrong, of course, because the naturalistic morality is partially mutable, but not completely.

Here's the problem: there are many points of morality, like murder and torture, where all the societies of the world seem to be in agreement, despite different religious systems or values. But there are differences. From the naturalistic point of view, these are behaviours. Some seem universal, and others seem mutable. 

BostonRedSox wrote:
This is pretty implicit in your view, since you are comparing "objective morality" to "subjective morality" as if our values are competing for some reward, whereas my position would be that morality is a reward in itself.

It's possible, but that's tangential to our discussion. Maybe another thread?

BostonRedSox wrote:
There are different flavors of moral relativism.  They usually look like this:

(1) Different societies and cultures have different moral principles.

(2) Therefore, the different moral principles held by different societies and cultures are all true.

OR

(1) Different societies and cultures have different moral principles.

(2) Therefore, there are no moral principles that are universally true.

(3) Therefore, one ought not to judge the morality of other societies.

Both arguments are non-sequiturs.

You're right, they're both non-sequiturs. I don't know of anyone who would present either of those arguments. The first is the "pomo" argument (from academic shorthand for "postmodernism" ). Postmodernism, in my never humble opinion, is a total waste of time. That type of universal relativism is removed from reality in a special way.

The second argument ignores my point above, which is shown to be untrue by the very existence of treaties. When we can have a United Nations, and people from the entire world can agree on general principles of the UN, then we know that the second argument is bunk.

So what are we left with? A kind of semi-relative morality. That is, there are principles we can agree on, and there are those we cannot. I don't think that should be a surprise. The only real identifying marker for a naturalistic morality would be the lack of black-and-white principles in the first place.

BostonRedSox wrote:
Regarding science, you are making this more difficult than it has to be.   The bottom line is, if everything is physical, then every event is a physical event.  Therefore, what happened could not have been otherwise given the circumstances.  You can equivocate on "determinism" all you'd like, it is still determinism.

But you're still setting up a straw man. Probabilistic inference does not give us "what happened could not have been otherwise given the circumstances". Instead, it's "what happened could have been otherwise to varying degrees of probability", and that's a big difference. Pure Cartesian determinism just doesn't work in reality.

Saint Will: no gyration without funkstification.
fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
Eloise wrote:  

Eloise wrote:

Player1 - Moral 1,1 2,1

... which is why it's ridiculous, and why I said earlier that the statement itself is sneaky and invalid. We go from the Prisoner's Dilemma to an inverted Prisoner's Dilemma:

Player2 - MoralPlayer2 - Not Moral
Player1 - Moral1,11,0
Player1 - Not Moral0,10,0

Not difficult to analyze that one, is it? That's why I said the game was stacked to prove the original post arbitrarily, and why it seems most of us are having the obvious problem with this spurious argument's use of game theory.

Edit: I suppose I should be more precise. Eloise rightly points out that her breakdown is only kind-of like the Prisoner's Dilemma, which is true. The problem is that the OP is too vague to specifically assign values, so one of the games that would result from that is the Prisoner's Dilemma, but it's possible to come up with others.

fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

OrdinaryClay
Theist
User is offlineOffline
JillSwift wrote:OrdinaryClay

JillSwift wrote:

OrdinaryClay wrote:
I'm not sure how you concluded that from what I said. Atheists have beliefs (not believing is a belief). These beliefs constitute a viewpoint.
Not believing is a belief? Not collecting stamps is a hobby. Bald is a hair color.

If you don't believe your non-belief then you don't believe and you must not be an atheist.

OrdinaryClay
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Magus wrote:OrdinaryClay

Magus wrote:

OrdinaryClay wrote:

Magus wrote:

OrdinaryClay wrote:

You had a good argument going there, but now you have resorted to word mincing. Perception can act as payoff as you speculated when you said "and the accomplishment is diminished because it isn't really their own accomplishment".

What I will admit is that the first case/example I gave was not sufficient to make my point.

My second example was added because it didn't contain "perceived gain", but actual gain that is why I used it.  The quote you are using is only available in the first case.  If I didn't think there was some problem with the first case I gave then I wouldn't have used a second one. 

Ok, I can not read your mind. The bottom line is that perceived gain matters.

What is the perceived gain in the second example, and how does it matter?

Confidence in the correctness of a cheated answer. It is gain.

Quote:

[Edit:]

I cannot read your mind either, your subject says nothing about the "system" but that the morality is inferior.  Are you moving the goal post? 

[End edit]

Ah, I see. I thought the game description made this clear, but maybe the title needs s/morality/moral system/

OrdinaryClay
Theist
User is offlineOffline
BobSpence1 wrote:The

BobSpence1 wrote:

The scenarios in the OP are valid but not actually relevant to morality, rather to the fairly obvious but unremarkable 'insight' that imposing disincentives for a particular set of behaviors will tend to reduce the frequency of those behaviors, but only to the extent that 'rational self-interest' is actually applied to decisions whether or not to indulge in the behavior.

Your admission that it is self evident shows its relevancy.

OrdinaryClay
Theist
User is offlineOffline
spotty wrote:The originator

spotty wrote:

The originator seems to have started more than 1 thread relating to the assorted "Trappings" of theism. Another for example, attempting to illustrate that faith is not bad because Atheists do it too. I just felt that one should be cautious about being drawn into such arguments when ultimately they are irrelevant in proving or disproving God.

No offence intended, but don't be paranoid. Reason either stands on its own or it doesn't. I'm not conniving.

OrdinaryClay
Theist
User is offlineOffline
butterbattle wrote:P1 is a

butterbattle wrote:

P1 is a naked assertion. People help each other all the time. Most people, when raised in the right environment, also don't murder, steal, etc. Self-interest isn't necessarily bad either, as long as you don't trespass on the rights of others.

This is because we have constraints on our behavior, which is the whole point of the thread. It is not because of some naive notion that we don't act out of self interest.

Quote:

P4. Naked assertion.

It follows from the very definition of moral choices. They automatically imply that a choice preference exists and is agreed to by the adherents of the morality.

OrdinaryClay
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Eloise wrote:From the OP I

Eloise wrote:

From the OP I imagined a unit table along these lines.

Nice summary, your normal form representation of the game is correct. Eloise, I'm sure we don't agree on everything but your posts in this thread have been very refreshing.

It is really only like the prisoners dilemma in that it is a non zero sum game. In this way it is like an infinite number of games. There is an important difference, though. In the prisoners dilemma the prisoners can punish each other to obtain gain. This adds a very important change to the dynamic. In a sense the prisoners dilemma has a zero sum component in that a punishment of the other player can provide increased gain to you. I'm sure you could come up with some kind of moral choices that add this twist just as you can add a multitude of other twists.

You can change the payoffs to expected values, i.e. less then the integral values you provided, by adding uncertainty in getting caught or in the judgement of the judge (a human referee for example). You can then bias the uncertainty to the point that a cheating payoff may be less then a non cheating payoff.

SSBBJunky
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
BostonRedSox

BostonRedSox wrote:

butterbattle wrote:

Think of it this way:

Masturbation is not inherently immoral.  It is merely the physical act of sexually stimulating one's self.  The reason that God does not care for it is that it is practically impossible for a human to do it without lusting.  

And lusting isn't ''inherently immoral'' either.

BostonRedSox wrote:

Likewise, it is practically impossible to own a slave without compromising your humanity. It is practically impossible for personal property to be treated in a humane way.  

And if, in fact, slaves are personal property, then they have no right to take vengeance on a master who beats them.  That is not to say, however, that it is okay for a master to beat his slave.  

But the bible does say it's ok.

So how can you trust anything in the OT? or do you just trust what is socially acceptable?(assuming you trust any of it)

theotherguy
theotherguy's picture
User is offlineOffline
OrdinaryClay wrote:If you

OrdinaryClay wrote:

Huh?

JillSwift
Superfan
JillSwift's picture
User is offlineOffline

OrdinaryClay wrote:
Holy crap, what a brain-pretzel!

Please stop playing these stupid semantics games. Your pitiful argument requires a totally different definition for "atheist", and no one is buying it. Just face that you're wrong and be done with it.

"Anyone can repress a woman, but you need 'dictated' scriptures to feel you're really right in repressing her. In the same way, homophobes thrive everywhere. But you must feel you've got scripture on your side to come up with the tedious 'Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve' style arguments instead of just recognising that some people are different." - Douglas Murray

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline

OrdinaryClay wrote:

Edit: Actually, let's see if I can work my way through this.

"If you don't believe your non-belief."

No, no, no, you don't believe or disbelieve non-belief; you simply don't believe. Your semantic farce of trying to label a "lack of" position as a positive claim is just pathetic. Not believing in non-believing is a double negative, and it works the same way in philosophy as it does in mathematics. They cancel each other out and the result is that you believe. If you believe in non-belief, then you simply don't believe, but, of course, you don't actually believe in non-belief; that would be absurd. Screwing around with semantics doesn't make it any more of a positive claim.

"Then you don't believe."

If I don't believe in God, then I'm an atheist.  

"and you must not be an atheist."

What the fuck?

Atheism means not believing in a God. Got that? If I don't believe in God, then I'm an atheist. It's not that complicated.

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
SSBBJunky wrote:And lusting

SSBBJunky wrote:

God told him it is.

SSBBJunky
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
butterbattle wrote:SSBBJunky

butterbattle wrote:

SSBBJunky wrote:

God told him it is.

God's such a partypooper!

Gauche
atheist
Gauche's picture
User is offlineOffline
This thread went from bad to

This thread went from bad to worse. What about a person who never heard of god before? They're an atheist and they don't have a belief.

There are twists of time and space, of vision and reality, which only a dreamer can divine
H.P. Lovecraft

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
OrdinaryClay wrote:It is not

OrdinaryClay wrote:

It is not because of some naive notion that we don't act out of self interest.

Why is it naive? Evolutionary psychology tells us that people are moral to a certain extent, and this is a constraint on our behavior.

Why do you think some atheists do community service? Because they're delusional retards?

Quote:

It follows from the very definition of moral choices. They automatically imply that a choice preference exists and is agreed to by the adherents of the morality.

Alright, I concede this point. I was trying to say that an ethics system based on fear is inferior to one where people have the freedom to choose. If people refrain from certain acts simply due to the consequences, then they're still acting out of self-interest and not actually moral.   

BostonRedSox
Troll
User is offlineOffline
butterbattle wrote:SSBBJunky

butterbattle wrote:

SSBBJunky wrote:

God told him it is.

God told me that you're a 19 year old gook who has never kissed a girl.

Eye-wink

BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
OrdinaryClay

OrdinaryClay wrote:

butterbattle wrote:

P1 is a naked assertion. People help each other all the time. Most people, when raised in the right environment, also don't murder, steal, etc. Self-interest isn't necessarily bad either, as long as you don't trespass on the rights of others.

This is because we have constraints on our behavior, which is the whole point of the thread. It is not because of some naive notion that we don't act out of self interest.

But we do not invariably act out  of self interest, rational or otherwise. That is a naive notion of human psychology and behavior.

We certainly do not make decisions on precisely calculated rational determined 'self-interest' under any but very special circumstances. In many cases our actions are based on habit, impulsive or reflexive reaction to some other event or observation, instinctive urges, etc. Even when we specifically make an effort to apply rational thought, we typically have nowhere near enough information to know what action will be in our immediate, let alone our ultimate self-interest. And even then, our reasoning is typically way too informal to be considered strictly 'rational'.

It would be more accurate to say that our choices are based on our current perception of what will be most likely to maximise our positive feelings and minimize the negative, with varying weighting to our estimates of the immediate and long term consequences, all often heavily biased by our current emotional state, our current situation, recent events that made a strong emotional impact on us, etc, with varying amounts of 'rational' reasoning applied.

'Rational self-interest' is a totally unrealistic, and naive notion as an explanation for how actual people make decisions.

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology

BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
OrdinaryClay

OrdinaryClay wrote:

BobSpence1 wrote:

The scenarios in the OP are valid but not actually relevant to morality, rather to the fairly obvious but unremarkable 'insight' that imposing disincentives for a particular set of behaviors will tend to reduce the frequency of those behaviors, but only to the extent that 'rational self-interest' is actually applied to decisions whether or not to indulge in the behavior.

Only to your authoritarian concept of morality, which I see as virtually an oxymoron.

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology

Magus
High Level DonorModerator
Magus's picture
User is offlineOffline
OrdinaryClay

OrdinaryClay wrote:

Confidence in the correctness of a cheated answer. It is gain.

... So what you are saying is that the confidence the cheater is always greater than the one who knows how to do the math?  Being able to solve the problem is far more useful and thus a greater gain, than the cheaters solution. 

Sounds made up...
Agnostic Atheist
No, I am not angry at your imaginary friends or enemies.

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
BostonRedSox

BostonRedSox wrote:

butterbattle wrote:

SSBBJunky wrote:

God told him it is.

Eye-wink

Dude, gooks are Filipino or Vietnamese commies. Butter would be a "chink". If you're going to be a dick, at least get it right.

Edit: Just in case I wasn't clear, I don't mind a bit of internet banter, but "gook" is pretty tacky. It lowers the register of discourse without any real sense of humour.

SSBBJunky
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
HisWillness

HisWillness wrote:

BostonRedSox wrote:

butterbattle wrote:

SSBBJunky wrote:

God told him it is.

Eye-wink

Dude, gooks are Filipino or Vietnamese commies. Butter would be a "chink". If you're going to be a dick, at least get it right.

Edit: Just in case I wasn't clear, I don't mind a bit of internet banter, but "gook" is pretty tacky. It lowers the register of discourse without any real sense of humour.

I guess God isn't omniscient after all.  

Strafio
Strafio's picture
User is offlineOffline
OrdinaryClay wrote:Let's set

OrdinaryClay wrote:

Let's set up a simple game. We'll call it Moral. It is a two person non-zero sum game.

Suppose you have the following conditions for the game:
1) A moral choice that each player agrees exists. Each player has two available strategies: one, make the moral choice (do the right thing), and two, not make the moral choice (cheat).
2) Defined individually preferred payoffs based on adherence to this moral choice, where the payoff is greater for either player if that player can silently cheat the system.

The game does not rely on what the exact details of the moral choice is only that the players agree what it is. As it exists both players when acting with rational self interest will choose to cheat.

Suppose we add a third condition:
3) A third party judge that both players believe exists and is omniscient and fair. Both players also agree that this judge can punish cheating by reducing payoffs to zero.

The game does not rely on the judge actually existing only that the players believe he exists. The judge adds the component of complete knowledge. If the omniscient judge does not exist and there is no notion of complete knowledge the players are more prone to cheat the system.

You're right that the belief in the judge would give the player an incentive never to cheat.
So that would be a moral advantage for theistic beliefs.
That said, I think that there's a flaw you're overlooking.

If belief in this being isn't rational, then the believer holding is clearly able to hold irrational beliefs.
If they are able to hold irrational beliefs then this might extend to their moral beliefs too.
This makes them more likely to have errors in their moral beliefs, and cause them too do wrong when they're trying so hard to do right.
So both ways seem to have an advantage and a disadvantage.

In reality, people have found plenty of alternatives to motivate them not to cheat.
One example is making a rational decision to be less selfish and do what's best for the community, i.e. think in terms of "us" instead of "me"
They rationally work out that cheating the system will be bad for them overall so the "rationally selfish" decision would be to promote the interests of community.
Theistic belief isn't so successful. People struggle to have faith.
They can flitter between moments of belief and non-belief, meaning they'll lack belief long enough to cheat, but will just regret it later when they go into belief again.

Not to mention that the majority of the world's problems are caused by ignorance rather than bad intentions.
The atheist might lose the incentive of not angering the omnipotent judge, but I think it's the lesser of two evils.

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
SSBBJunky wrote:I guess

SSBBJunky wrote:

I guess God's American, too. Weird, since he was born in the middle east.

SSBBJunky
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
HisWillness wrote:SSBBJunky

HisWillness wrote:

SSBBJunky wrote:

Just a thought, is God infinite years old? or infinite + 2,000? Does each passing year count as 2, one for god and one for jesus? either way that's one big fucking cake to fit all those candles......

I like cake.

crazymonkie
Silver Member
crazymonkie's picture
User is offlineOffline
HisWillness wrote:SSBBJunky

HisWillness wrote:

SSBBJunky wrote:

USA!!

USA!!

USA!!

OrdinaryClay wrote:

Eloise
TheistBronze Member
Eloise's picture
User is offlineOffline
HisWillness wrote:Eloise

HisWillness wrote:

Eloise wrote:

Player1 - Moral 1,1 2,1

... which is why it's ridiculous, and why I said earlier that the statement itself is sneaky and invalid. We go from the Prisoner's Dilemma to an inverted Prisoner's Dilemma:

Player2 - MoralPlayer2 - Not Moral
Player1 - Moral1,11,0
Player1 - Not Moral0,10,0

Not difficult to analyze that one, is it? That's why I said the game was stacked to prove the original post arbitrarily,

Yes, as I indicated, on this you took the words right out of my mouth. The original game is really a premise to the Judge argument and is seemingly stacked to affirm the consequent with an imported bi-conditional symmetry. 

That the arbitrator successfully flips the values says a lot about how they were originally stacked so it can be trivially true while begging the question of whether that is all it is saying.

HisWillness wrote:

and why it seems most of us are having the obvious problem with this spurious argument's use of game theory.

Yeah, we don't need to follow the game because we're not asked to analyse the conclusions of the game, were being asked to assume them as given. Plus as you said both conclusions are really quite elementary (and this is due to the games being stacked towards those conclusion)

However, since neither game is even the actual argument it seems more appropriate to just state outright  -

Pm1. Assume A. not acting morally has a higher pay-off and B. rational self interested people - such that - not acting morally is a dominant strategy.

Pm2. Since we prefer people to act morally...

Conclude: Moral dilemma

Clay then proposes:

1. If X exists such that moral behaviour is the dominant strategy then the dilemma is solved.

2. A system of belief in which moral behaviour is the dominant strategy is superior. (from Pm2)

So

Let God be X for theists.

Q.E.D.

Theist badge qualifier : Gnostic/Philosophical Panentheist

www.mathematicianspictures.com

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
BostonRedSox wrote:Personal

BostonRedSox wrote:
Personal property was bought and sold in a fair exchange and the slaves themselves consented to the practice.

...Oh yeah? Is that what they teach kids in the Jesus Probably Rode Dinosaurs! coloring book these days?

That's so insane it's hilarious.

No, dude, slaves did not 'consent' to be slaves. Nobody back in the good 'ol days woke up one morning and said, 'Jeez, man, I think I want to go work under the lash with no compensation!'

So what if the exchange was 'fair' to the seller? Contract killers sell their services in fair exchanges. Gun runners sell weapons to Somalian warlords in fair exchanges. What has that got to do with how ethical the practice is?

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

- Leon Trotsky, Last Will & Testament
February 27, 1940

ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
User is offlineOffline
OrdinaryClay wrote:JillSwift

OrdinaryClay wrote:

JillSwift wrote:

OrdinaryClay wrote:
I'm not sure how you concluded that from what I said. Atheists have beliefs (not believing is a belief). These beliefs constitute a viewpoint.
Not believing is a belief? Not collecting stamps is a hobby. Bald is a hair color.

Quoted for stupidity.

Theism is why we can't have nice things.

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
BostonRedSox wrote:God told

BostonRedSox wrote:

Eye-wink

And there it is. The 'superior moral fibre' of theism at work.

Mmm... just the way I like my irony.

Shape-up, pal. Racial slurs aren't cool on these boards.

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

- Leon Trotsky, Last Will & Testament
February 27, 1940

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
BostonRedSox wrote:God told

BostonRedSox wrote:

Hahahahahaha, not bad actually. Pat yourself on the spiritual back, you got 1/4th of that right. 

"God told me"

No, God didn't tell you anything. You were talking to yourself again.  

"that you're a 19 year old"

Applause! Woohoo! Winner! Winner! Winner!

"gook"

Awww! Nope, wrong ethnicity. Try again.

"who has never kissed a girl."

Nope, sorry, even your grand finale was incorrect.

Although, I do need a girlfriend.......

Edit: Apparently, he couldn't handle our criticism of his precious book anymore and lashed out at me.

crazymonkie
Silver Member
crazymonkie's picture
User is offlineOffline
ClockCat wrote:OrdinaryClay

ClockCat wrote:

OrdinaryClay wrote:

JillSwift wrote:

OrdinaryClay wrote:

Quoted for stupidity.

And sigged as well.

OrdinaryClay wrote:

OrdinaryClay
Theist
User is offlineOffline
BobSpence1

BobSpence1 wrote:

OrdinaryClay wrote:

butterbattle wrote:

But we do not invariably act out  of self interest, rational or otherwise. That is a naive notion of human psychology and behavior.

We certainly do not make decisions on precisely calculated rational determined 'self-interest' under any but very special circumstances. In many cases our actions are based on habit, impulsive or reflexive reaction to some other event or observation, instinctive urges, etc. Even when we specifically make an effort to apply rational thought, we typically have nowhere near enough information to know what action will be in our immediate, let alone our ultimate self-interest. And even then, our reasoning is typically way too informal to be considered strictly 'rational'.

Where did "invariably" come from. No one is saying we are automatons. Human society has structure because individuals act out of self interest more often then not. We form groups and alliances because of self interest. We then try and cheat the very groups we form because of self interest. You can pretend all you want that we don't, but the gross evidence is everywhere. We have thousands of years of history that show it. We have everyday life that screams it.

I've never denied that we exhibit acts of true non self interest, but as I pointed out the set of such cases does not obviate the larger set of cases where we do.

OrdinaryClay
Theist
User is offlineOffline
BobSpence1

BobSpence1 wrote:

OrdinaryClay wrote:

BobSpence1 wrote:

Only to your authoritarian concept of morality, which I see as virtually an oxymoron.

Huh?? You're grasping or something. Reread my quote of yours.

OrdinaryClay
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Strafio wrote:You're right

Strafio wrote:

You're right that the belief in the judge would give the player an incentive never to cheat.
So that would be a moral advantage for theistic beliefs.
That said, I think that there's a flaw you're overlooking.

The gist of your "flaws" are that in either case (judged or not) the player is not certain they will be judged or they will be caught. (note: risk of being caught in the non judged game is equivalent from a strategy standpoint to having a conscience, it adds uncertainty to cheating or not cheating). The game as presented is not meant to represent exact reality, as I've said multiple times. It is an abstraction that highlights the consequences of an aspect of our behavior. Given who we are and what we are we need judges - plain and simple. The more confidence we have the judge will catch us the more likely we are not to cheat. Pointing out exceptions does not change that fact.