Linus Torvalds surprises me.

JillSwift
Superfan
JillSwift's picture
User is offlineOffline
Linus Torvalds surprises me.

Normally Linus (We're on a first name basis, I call him Linus, he doesn't know I exist) blogs either about his experiences maintaining the Linux kernel, or a bit about his home life, or just to repeat a joke.

While this blog post is ostensibly about more family life, it reveals a skeptical side I'd not seen before:

http://torvalds-family.blogspot.com/2009/05/peeve-of-day.html

"Anyone can repress a woman, but you need 'dictated' scriptures to feel you're really right in repressing her. In the same way, homophobes thrive everywhere. But you must feel you've got scripture on your side to come up with the tedious 'Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve' style arguments instead of just recognising that some people are different." - Douglas Murray

thatonedude
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
JillSwift wrote:Normally

JillSwift wrote:

Normally Linus (We're on a first name bvasis, I call him Linus, he donesn't know I exist) blogs either about his experiences maintaining the Linux kernel, or a bit about his home life, or just to repeat a joke.

While this blog post is ostensibly about more family life, it reveals a sceptical side I'd not seen before:

http://torvalds-family.blogspot.com/2009/05/peeve-of-day.html

I do like reading Linus' work. He cuts through bullshit with a knife. He's also identified himself as agnostic and atheist in interviews.

All that is necessary for the triumph of good is that evil men do nothing.

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
IIRC the perscribtion

IIRC the perscribtion solutions are also saline. I looked at my brother's eyedrops from a pharmacy and it wasn't homeopathic and it was saline.

thatonedude
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple wrote:IIRC the

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

IIRC the perscribtion solutions are also saline. I looked at my brother's eyedrops from a pharmacy and it wasn't homeopathic and it was saline.

Yup. No need to market it as woo woo crap. Saline works fine as it is.

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
thatonedude wrote:Yup. No

thatonedude wrote:

The article never really says that the doctor specifically says that they are homeopathic. All it says is that the doctor says they don't contain any harsh medication.

And I re-checked the eye-drops [there were three kinds] and also found sulphate and something else that I can't pronounce. I don't know if they are required, or are merely additives.

JillSwift
Superfan
JillSwift's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple wrote:The

Cpt_pineapple wrote:
The article never really says that the doctor specifically says that they are homeopathic. All it says is that the doctor says they don't contain any harsh medication.
Eh?

Linus Torvalds wrote:
But what I do find surprising is the kind of eye-drops they have. This is a doctor's office, you'd expect them to be professional. But their eye-drops are homeopathic, and the doctor talks them up as not having any harsh medication in them. Well, duh! They're saline solution.
Does he really need to say "The doctor called these homeopathic" outright?

Cpt_pineapple wrote:
And I re-checked the eye-drops [there were three kinds] and also found sulphate and something else that I can't pronounce. I don't know if they are required, or are merely additives.
Yes, there are all manner of real medicines out there, including three main sorts of eye drops (the additives are usually soothing or antibacterial). Not sure why this is relevant, though.

He notes that homeopathy is bullshit.

He then notes that saline solution itself brings relief from eye irritation.

Then he says he can't understand why selling saline solution as saline solution isn't enough, since it works.

What part of that are you being contrarian about?

"Anyone can repress a woman, but you need 'dictated' scriptures to feel you're really right in repressing her. In the same way, homophobes thrive everywhere. But you must feel you've got scripture on your side to come up with the tedious 'Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve' style arguments instead of just recognising that some people are different." - Douglas Murray

thatonedude
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple wrote: The

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

Linus made it clear that he was upset about how it was marketed, not by what the doctor said explicitly:

Linus wrote:

But this piece-of-crap saline solution talked about the magical homeopathic "active ingredients" (non-existent and bogus), and while it did list the "inactive ingredients" (ie water and sodium chloride - aka "saline solution" ), it was basically a huge advert for teaching people bad science and paying extra for it.

And I agree with him. It's a saline solution. No need to market it as woo woo. If one of my doctors marketed something like this to me, I would lose trust in them. Especially if they were selling homeopathic solutions at a premium compared to "regular" saline solutions. At that point, you know that the doctor is either foolish enough to accept this tripe as legitimate, or is unscrupulous enough to make an extra buck on ignorance. Either one is worrisome enough to consider leaving for another provider.

BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

thatonedude wrote:

Just curious, how did you know which particular brand of eye-drops were being referred to, to be able check them? I saw no reference to any specific brand or supplier in the article.

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Perhaps I mis-read Linus

Perhaps I mis-read

Linus wrote:

And there's also no question that plain saline solution isn't a fine thing to use when your eyes are itchy.

Shouldn't that be "is"? As in saline IS a fine solution when eyes are itchy?

Maybe this double negative that got me to thinking that he's saying the saline solution doesn't cure itchy eyes.

[edit]

Hence my first post

Quote:

[/edit]

thatonedude
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple wrote:Perhaps

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

Perhaps I mis-read

Linus wrote:

And there's also no question that plain saline solution isn't a fine thing to use when your eyes are itchy.

Shouldn't that be "is"? As in saline IS a fine solution when eyes are itchy?

Maybe this double negative that got me to thinking that he's saying the saline solution doesn't cure itchy eyes.

Yes, I think he did meant 'is' there. English is his second language, so the occasional typo is expected. For the record, while he is from Finland, his primary language was Swedish.

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Plain saline solution is for

Plain saline solution is for chumps.

My favored brand of contact lense solution is Polyhexanide HCI 0.0001% w/v

I have no idea what the fuck that means, but it's definitely better than standard sodium chloride water solution (yes, even as eye drops)

EDIT: Oh, and I think Linus should really think about switching eye doctors. I just couldn't possibly support taking medical advice from someone who pawns off homeopathic 'medication'.

EDIT 2: ...Oh, Hell yeah!

Wikipedia wrote:
It has a unique method of action: the polymer strands are incorporated into the bacterial cell wall, which disrupts the membrane and reduces its permeability, which has a lethal effect to bacteria. It is also known to bind to bacterial DNA, alter its transcription, and cause lethal DNA damage.[1] It has very low toxicity to higher organisms such as human cells, which have more complex and protective membranes. PAPB is a mixture of molecules of various sizes; different-sized molecules have a synergistic effect.

That's right, you pansy-ass little microbes! You're my bitch, now. Imma disrupt your membrane! Imma alter your transcription! Imma do you some lethal DNA damage! Imma...

Quote:
Some organisms such as Pseudomonas aeruginosa are able to develop resistance to this disinfectant.[2]

Oh. Fuck.

Don't hurt me!!!

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

- Leon Trotsky, Last Will & Testament
February 27, 1940