Are PC Liberals writing death sentence for scientific inquiries?

HolisticWisdom
User is offlineOffline
Are PC Liberals writing death sentence for scientific inquiries?

Death of Science

Everything has to be politically correct these days.
To please the masses (or minority) if we have to say day as night or night as day, so be it.
What if a scientific discovery tells us something that is so abhorrently offensive to the masses should we still make it a public knowledge? Should we allow it to be published or censor it?

What do you think about Mr. Watson's findings?

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article2677098.ece

mrjonno
User is offlineOffline
Old story that, what

Old story that, what qualifcations/experience does Dr Watson have to discuss intelligence?

Any peer reviewed papers published by him on it?

As far as I know there is no such thing genetically as a black or even an African person.

It makes about as much sense as Richard Dawkins postulating a new version of superstring theory as a biologist would be very silly

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Those are some odd

Those are some odd comments by Dr. Watson.  He's promoting the idea that maybe in ten years, we'll find a gene that proves his hunch right?  Ok, fine.  In ten years, we'll examine it.  Why are we making news with an unsupported speculation?

Look, science has found some things about humans that are not particularly pretty.  Mostly, these findings are widely accepted by scientists, but they hardly ever make it out of science journals.  Take for instance the well established fact that evolutionarily speaking, humans are not designed to be truly monogamous.  Rather, we are best designed for a kind of serial monogamy interspersed with mild polygamy, though we are adaptable all the way to full blown polygamy.  Furthermore, there doesn't seem to be any evolutionary evidence that we are built to marry for life.  Do these findings cause any kind of stir?  No.  Yet, they are pretty much as well established as any other primate mating behavior.

It's not scientists that are withholding findings because of PC concerns.  It's the religious, the conservatives, and the traditionalists who simply ignore or remain ignorant of what scientists have said.  This has always been so... long before the PC movement was ever invented.  

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
User is offlineOffline
I don't see how this has

I don't see how this has anything to do with liberalism.

It seems more like you are trying to project something irrationally onto an ideology you dislike?

Theism is why we can't have nice things.

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
User is offlineOffline
OK, let me start off

OK, let me start off with one of the dirty little secrets of IQ testing:

Yes, it is true that certain groups test out lower on average than other groups.

Now let's ask ourselves what this might actually mean. Does the cumulative IQ score of a community serve as a valid predictor of future success for any individual member of that community? Well, the answer really ought to be obvious. One simply cannot use the IQ scores of a person's neighbors as an indicator of how that person will proceed with their life.

Now with that out of the way, is there a statistical difference in IQ across racial lines? It could be viewed as uncomfortable but yes, that can be teased out of the data sets on IQ. However, there is a problem here. We have huge data sets on IQ testing and it is possible to track lots of different factors that might affect the scores of different groups of people. As it happens, many of the known factors that track poorly against IQ also track disproportionately across racial lines.

People who were malnourished as infants, people who were born addicted to crack, people who were born already infected with HIV. There are other factors as well but those few should be enough to make my point. We know that these factors are important variables in IQ testing and they play a much larger role that a person's race does.

However, because these factors do not cut evenly across racial lines, if you compile statistics to show how minorities do on tests insensitively to these and other factors, it really is not all that hard to get graphs that show how minorities seem to test out poorly as groups.

Let me restate one important fact: While it is trivial to get statistics to say lots of things, only by exercising a high level of caution can we be sure that what any given statistic is even viable. As relates to IQ, the IQ of one group vs another group does not say anything about individuals in those groups.

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
There is a problem both with

There is a problem both with the religious and the PC crowd of drawing conclusions when there is not enough evidence or through examination to draw any conclusion.

But one thing we do know is that dark skinned people are a bit of a fish out of water in temporal climates, especially winter. Vitamin D deficiency can lead to people being dumb:

http://scienceblogs.com/gnxp/2008/04/vitamin_d_deficiency_makes_you.php

But then us white folks don't do so well in the hot tropical sun. The locals would think we were weak and lazy for avoiding work in the hot sun.

So maybe the only conclusion is that blacks should take vitamin D supplements in the winter and whites should use protection in the tropical sun.

Taxation is the price we pay for failing to build a civilized society. The higher the tax level, the greater the failure. A centrally planned totalitarian state represents a complete defeat for the civilized world, while a totally voluntary society represents its ultimate success. --Mark Skousen

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Quote:So maybe the only

Quote:
So maybe the only conclusion is that blacks should take vitamin D supplements in the winter and whites should use protection in the tropical sun.

That's pretty much it.

Also, it's a bad idea for Near-Easterners and Blacks to take Primaquine if they get malaria.  Asians are not as good as Caucasians at digesting milk.  Ginger children should carry an umbrella in the sun.

There are lots of slight genetic variations in different human populations, but as we've discussed in detail before, "race" is kind of a nonsense term.  

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
Answers in Gene Simmons

Answers in Gene Simmons wrote:

Let me restate one important fact: While it is trivial to get statistics to say lots of things, only by exercising a high level of caution can we be sure that what any given statistic is even viable. As relates to IQ, the IQ of one group vs another group does not say anything about individuals in those groups.

That's exactly it.

I'm not sure why Dr. Watson decided to venture off his beaten path into the world of the study of intelligence, but his statement that all people should have equal intelligence, but that “people who have to deal with black employees find this not true” is probably the most telling (and actually the funniest). His experience with black people is in subordinate positions, and in all honesty, he's probably complaining about a waiter in a restaurant this one time. It's a crotchety old man making baseless statements, and the only reason anyone's listening to this crap is because he won an award in a completely unrelated field.

Saint Will: no gyration without funkstification.
fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence