Brian37 vs manofmanynames

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 vs manofmanynames

manofmanynames,

You say you are unafraid of confrontation. GREAT! I wish more theists would take your attitude insted of falsely equating blasphemy and criticism to hate.

NOW, lets get on with it.

1. Define your god.

Then we will start from there.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Eight Foot Manchild
Eight Foot Manchild's picture
User is offlineOffline
manofmanynames wrote:Love...

manofmanynames wrote:
Love... is not jealous

"I am jealous" - Yahweh

Oops.

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
Eight Foot Manchild

Eight Foot Manchild wrote:

manofmanynames wrote:
Love... is not jealous

"I am jealous" - Yahweh

Oops.

Even better:

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 1 Corinthians 13:4-5
Beloved, let us LOVE one another: for love is of God; and every one who loves is born of God, and knows God. He who does not love does not know God, for God is LOVE. 1 John 4:7-8
Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the LORD thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me. And shewing mercy unto thousands of them that love me, and keep my commandments. Exodus 20:5-6
For all the earth shall be devoured with the fire of my jealousy. Zephaniah 3:8

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

AmericanIdle
User is offlineOffline
manofmanynames wrote:Quote:I

manofmanynames wrote:

Quote:
I just wanted to point out how remarkably un-self aware one appears when they use "tinfoil hat" references as humor while simultaneously touting an ideology that includes talking snakes and donkeys, hovering flaming swords, such mythological creatures as "dragons", "satyrs", "unicorns", creation and shockingly implausible flood accounts (which anyone versed in ancient history, could so clearly see were "ripped off" from earlier mythological lore), etc. etc. etc.

That tinfoil hat remark not only seems ridiculously unwarranted, it pretty much pales horribly in comparison to your own ideology.

haha.

Well, I'm sure if my ideology consisted of believing in literal talking snakes, that the world is only a few thousand years old, and etc., a tin-foil hat remark might have been warranted. I mean, if you're going to make a comparison of my silly beliefs to anothers, at least have something factual rather than pulled out your ass to go off of. It might save you a bit of embarrassment, when attributing beliefs to me that I clearly do not hold. 

I'm sorry that I can't provide any congratulations for throwing out the kernels of Trail Mix that you don't like and keeping the ones you do.

Before you go patting yourself on the back for the clever wit you delivered w/ that "pulled out of your ass" comment or the clever dodge of having to answer up for the "holy book", let's examine what we do know.

You believe in "jesus christ".  One of the few revelations you've provided so far. 

You, like most christians who come here cleverly avoid stating much of what you do believe in, knowing that your best shot at debate means not allowing yourself to be painted into a corner by having to answer for the many absurdities of christian ideology. 

It also entails complete avoidance of having to answer for the bible and all it stands for.  It's hard to win souls for jesus when you have to explain why the blessed scriptures advocate death for picking up sticks on the sabbath or the murder of dozens of children because they mocked a bald man of god or the absurdity of mythological animals or its archaelogical impossibilities or its defiance of scientific facts or its countless inconsistencies.

So instead you pick the parts of the bible that you choose to believe are literal and discount those that you know will hamper a logical debate (Sunday morning prayer meetings are far more forgiving of talking snakes and smiting the men, women and children of entire cites for god so you don't have to pretend to doubt such ridiculous logic while in that company).  But here in this forum you get to laugh at the bible (which is what you're really doing w/ this Trail Mix method) when its convenient for you and still remain passionate about those passages which define your own personal ideology as well as assist you in formulating an argument.  (I think we could all make a pretty good guess as to the likelihood of you mocking, or even questioning a talking snake or a few thousand yr old earth while sitting/standing on either side of a pulpit... uh yeah).

But there are a few problems with this method.  

1.) It's dishonest. 

2.) It's cowardly.   

And that my friend is what let's me know without a doubt, that you truly are..... a follower of jesus christ.

But dodging methods are transparent and they add nothing of value to your argument.

So at least have the bare bones courage to stand up for what you believe and say so w/ a workable definition...or get off the .....pot ! 

"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."
George Orwell

Christos
Theist
Christos's picture
User is offlineOffline
Jeffrick

Jeffrick wrote:

Jesus Christ,  or Joshua Bar Yuseph,  did not exist as a human being. Nazareth as a town did NOT exist when he was supposedly growing up there.  J.C. is nothing more then a conglomeration of several myths and a few real itinerate preachers that roamed the mid-east in the first century B.C.E.  Mithrea of the Zorastrian religion was the  main  source: he had 12 followers, he was born on Dec.25,  he died for our sins and rose again 3 days later, to repeat the process all over again,  Jesu Christo has yet to pull off the return engagement yet, in spite of his promiss to do it by 70 C.E.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSm7YPMQOSo

Blah, blah, blah. Standard mythicism horseshit. Tacitus, Paul, Arab copy of Josephus. Stop your nonsense

"A man can no more diminish God's glory by refusing to worship Him than a lunatic can put out the sun by scribbling the word, 'darkness' on the walls of his cell." (CS Lewis)

"A young man who wishes to remain a sound atheist cannot be too careful of his reading." (CS Lewis)

Christos
Theist
Christos's picture
User is offlineOffline
By the way manofmanynames,

By the way manofmanynames, you sound a lot like John Spong. Please tell me you don't subscribe to his ridiculous historical interpretations.

Also, not that I believe in the resurrection, but I think you're metaphorical interpretation of it is not necessarily honest to the sources. Paul in Galatians seems to clearly paint the picture of a resurrected Jesus appearing to many people (Peter, James, Paul, 500, etc.) I think it's hard to metaphorically interpret the resurrection if you're a Christian. It seems clear to me that Paul actually believed that a real resurrection took place.

"A man can no more diminish God's glory by refusing to worship Him than a lunatic can put out the sun by scribbling the word, 'darkness' on the walls of his cell." (CS Lewis)

"A young man who wishes to remain a sound atheist cannot be too careful of his reading." (CS Lewis)

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
manofmanynames wrote:Brian37

manofmanynames wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

It is not bizzar at all. I was responding to you. I was simply cutting through the bullshit and cutting to the chase.

More like trying to cut to the chase, and forgetting where the track is.

Quote:
You are not used to people seeing through long winded needless apologetics.

Well, Brian buddy I've been on such forums long enough to be used to all sorts of things, there's nothing expectational here little buddy, there's not much new under the sun. 

Quote:
"Paul said this" Moses said that" is irrelevant to the fantastic claims of the bible, not to mention the alleged so called "God" character itself.

"Paul" said this, so therefore invisible beings exist. THAT IS A GAP ANSWER!

Smiling

Actually, it's not. God of the Gaps, is when the role of God is confined in the gaps in scientific explanations for nature. An example would be "we don't know how the brain evolved, therefore God did it." My mother says that Santa Claus exists, therefore Santa clause exists is not a gap answer. 

But I'm not exactly sure why this has to do with anything I've said or claimed so far? The only time I mentioned something about "Paul said", was to counter a claim by gadfly proclaiming that Paul didn't reference a historical Jesus? Is this what you are referring to? If so, can you try and do a better job of articulating what your point is? 

Quote:
And even if I, for argument's sake only, ceded to Paul existing as a real human being. BUT, he most certainly  was NOT a contemporary of the alleged Jesus character, and it still wouldn't constitution beings with no neurons or brain matter floating around in the "heavens".

What the who? We were debating if Paul existed as a human being? 

Brian you responses have started to become utterly weird to me, as if you're like talking to yourself, inventing imaginary claims you try and associate with me, and then spend time at length arguing them. The responses are highly sporadic, and barely coherent. 

Are you okay?

And I don't mean to ask you this to be rude or demeaning, but do you suffer from any sort of mental illness? ADD or something along those lines?

I know where the "track" is and it leads to claims of a being with no body magically making the universe. I didn't miss a thing. I am simply not side tracked.

Quote:
And I don't mean to ask you this to be rude or demeaning, but do you suffer from any sort of mental illness?

No. But it is a typical tactic of the theist to try to make the atheist out as having psychological problem to avoid providing evidence for the god they claim.

So once again, instead of providing evidence for the god you claim, you use "Pay no attention to the myth behind the curtain" tactic.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Christos wrote:Jeffrick

Christos wrote:

Jeffrick wrote:

Jesus Christ,  or Joshua Bar Yuseph,  did not exist as a human being. Nazareth as a town did NOT exist when he was supposedly growing up there.  J.C. is nothing more then a conglomeration of several myths and a few real itinerate preachers that roamed the mid-east in the first century B.C.E.  Mithrea of the Zorastrian religion was the  main  source: he had 12 followers, he was born on Dec.25,  he died for our sins and rose again 3 days later, to repeat the process all over again,  Jesu Christo has yet to pull off the return engagement yet, in spite of his promiss to do it by 70 C.E.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSm7YPMQOSo

Blah, blah, blah. Standard mythicism horseshit. Tacitus, Paul, Arab copy of Josephus. Stop your nonsense

So your best response is placing your hands over your ears and screaming "He's not a myth! He's not! He's not! HE'S NOT!"

You and MoMN hae similar argument styles.

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin

manofmanynames (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
The poster asked me define

The poster asked me define my God, and I gave him an answer: Jesus Christ. Rather than questioning the answer, he ignored it and continued asking the same question over again, as if it were not a acceptable response.

I'm a theist, a Christian, who believes in the Christian God, the God who revealed himself in a "reviled and murdered political criminal". And as an Orthodox theist, this is not a claim that God revealed himself partially in Jesus Christ, but fully. If you asking for proof or evidence outside of Jesus Christ, you're asking for evidence that God revealed himself some other way, like God revealed himself in Jesus Christ and a petri dish, but that's not what I believe.

What makes Jesus God? an encounter with him, personal experience, to perceive him as the guiding light of ones life, as the Way the Truth, and the Life, as the Christ, as total sovereign, as the image of what true love is, whose meaning is the source of one's hope, and is the source of one's conviction. If he approached me like Peter, two thousand years ago, and asked me who do you say I am? I would say truly, you are the Son of God. 

If this is not a satisfactory answer, I don't know what to tell you. You're just pursuing a God that's not my own.

You may say you need more than that to believe, but that's not my problem right. 

The Pharisees sure wanted more as well, and Jesus sure didn't give it. 

User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly wrote:I'm not a

jcgadfly wrote:

I'm not a mythicist - the gospel writers probably had a rabbi that they built Jesus around. A Jesus probably existed 

None of what Paul states necessarily leads to a physical Jesus. That only comes when you add the backstory when the gospels built around Paul's work. The events surrounding the death of the Jesus character had to be sufficiently nasty and exciting or no one would read the story.

Ah, so this is a bit novel to me. So let's get this straight, Paul conceived of a crucified messiah first, and this is entirely Paul's idea. And the Gospel writers had a charismatic rabbi who they tacked on the death, and the belief he was the messiah to because of Paul? Is this belief based solely on that Paul's text was written first, before the Gospels?

I'm guessing you don't believe this rabbi was crucified? If not than what happened to him? I mean he said some pretty profound stuff that most religious tradition would love to own up to, I mean Dawkins even wrote an article titled Atheist for Jesus, trying to claim Jesus as atheist.  So why was he separated from Judaism? If he was simply your every rabbi that said some pretty profound stuff, all within the context of Judaism why was he "exiled" from Judaism? 

neptewn
neptewn's picture
User is offlineOffline
manofmanynames wrote:What

manofmanynames wrote:

What makes Jesus God? an encounter with him, personal experience, to perceive him as the guiding light of ones life, as the Way the Truth, and the Life, as the Christ, as total sovereign, as the image of what true love is, whose meaning is the source of one's hope, and is the source of one's conviction. If he approached me like Peter, two thousand years ago, and asked me who do you say I am? I would say truly, you are the Son of God. 

If this is not a satisfactory answer, I don't know what to tell you. You're just pursuing a God that's not my own.

This means faith.

Your mind will answer most questions if you learn to relax and wait for the answer. - William S. Burroughs

User is offlineOffline
neptewn wrote:This means

neptewn wrote:

This means faith.

So finding Jesus to be the light of one's life (meaning one's sort of inspiration) is faith? 

I should say that all that I afford Jesus, and a belief in God don't equal two. It's not to believe that and than jump to a sort of another belief, but rather to believe is just to believe that. 

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
manofmanynames

manofmanynames wrote:

jcgadfly wrote:

I'm not a mythicist - the gospel writers probably had a rabbi that they built Jesus around. A Jesus probably existed 

None of what Paul states necessarily leads to a physical Jesus. That only comes when you add the backstory when the gospels built around Paul's work. The events surrounding the death of the Jesus character had to be sufficiently nasty and exciting or no one would read the story.

Ah, so this is a bit novel to me. So let's get this straight, Paul conceived of a crucified messiah first, and this is entirely Paul's idea. And the Gospel writers had a charismatic rabbi who they tacked on the death, and the belief he was the messiah to because of Paul? Is this belief based solely on that Paul's text was written first, before the Gospels?

I'm guessing you don't believe this rabbi was crucified? If not than what happened to him? I mean he said some pretty profound stuff that most religious tradition would love to own up to, I mean Dawkins even wrote an article titled Atheist for Jesus, trying to claim Jesus as atheist.  So why was he separated from Judaism? If he was simply your every rabbi that said some pretty profound stuff, all within the context of Judaism why was he "exiled" from Judaism? 

No, not entirely Paul's idea. Not Paul's original idea at all.

Messiah existed before Paul. Crucifixions existed before Paul. Stories of the Gods dying and resurrecting were around before Paul was a gleam in his dad's eye.

Paul wrote a story that combined the messiah stories with his Gnosticism and created a character called the "anointed Deliverer" (Jesus Christ).

Paul wanted to make a religion around this character. Twenty years later, the gospel writers read Paul's stuff and made a backstory making the "anointed deliverer" a more human character. They probably used a rabbi they liked who may or may not have been crucified to build the character around. They made sure that this chracter fit Messianic prohpecies because they went through the OT looking fotr them and attributing those qualities to their character. They gave him Paul's title of his concept as his name.

What happened to the rabbi? He lived. He died. Perhaps peacefully, maybe not. Chances are he didn't say anything that the Gospel writers gave the Jesus character. They may have liked his look or how he lived.

I freely admit all of the above statements are conjecture. The conjecture is still far more plausible than what you claim as reality.

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin

User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly wrote:What happened

jcgadfly wrote:

What happened to the rabbi? He lived. He died. Perhaps peacefully, maybe not. Chances are he didn't say anything that the Gospel writers gave the Jesus character. They may have liked his look or how he lived.

Well, contrary to what you would like to believe there's a whole web of thought, that you need a better job at explaining away. Like who did the humorous and profound teachings of go the other mile, in reference to the Roman Angaria law; when sewed give your cloak also therefore reducing one's poor self to nakedness; turning the other cheek, requiring those who beat their inferiors to hit them with an open palm, as they would an equal, and such saying and parable that reveal the same unique blend of though belong to? There is in fact a distinctive "rabbi" or "character here, woven through out the various gospels. What happened to him? It's apparent that he must have said something blasphemous for Judaism to cut the cords, and something politically offense if he were to be crucified? 

So tell me, why your explanation of the facts, are the best one rather than what I and the consensus would say is the most probable, that "Jesus was a Jewish teacher from Galilee who was regarded as a healer, was baptized by John the Baptist. Was accused of sedition against the Roman Empire, and on the orders of the Roman Governor Pontius Pilate and was sentenced to death by crucifixion." And this is the historical figure that gospels based their narratives around.

All the evidence points to the fact that this Rabbi Jesus was always perceived as the messiah, there is not a single tradition that treated him otherwise, gnostic or not, not a shroud of evidence for single sect or group, or following who believed in this Jewish rabbi minus a belief that he was also the messiah or at least claimed to be. 

You want us to believe that the Messiah title  to this rabbi was Paul's invention, when all the evidence point to the fact that this rabbi was always perceived as the messiah. 

And rather than stating what should be the most obvious, that Paul devotes most of his letters to explaining the messiahship of this historal figure, the relationship of his Messiahship to God, and to humanity, you desire for us to take your position which based merely on a poor argument from silence, and the fact that the epistles were written before the Gospels? 

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
manofmanynames

manofmanynames wrote:

jcgadfly wrote:

Well, contrary to what you would like to believe there's a whole web of thought, that you need a better job at explaining away. Like who did the humorous and profound teachings of go the other mile, in reference to the Roman Angaria law; when sewed give your cloak also therefore reducing one's poor self to nakedness; turning the other cheek, requiring those who beat their inferiors to hit them with an open palm, as they would an equal, and such saying and parable that reveal the same unique blend of though belong to? There is in fact a distinctive "rabbi" or "character here, woven through out the various gospels. What happened to him? It's apparent that he must have said something blasphemous for Judaism to cut the cords, and something politically offense if he were to be crucified? 

So tell me, why your explanation of the facts, are the best one rather than what I and the consensus would say is the most probable, that "Jesus was a Jewish teacher from Galilee who was regarded as a healer, was baptized by John the Baptist. Was accused of sedition against the Roman Empire, and on the orders of the Roman Governor Pontius Pilate and was sentenced to death by crucifixion." And this is the historical figure that gospels based their narratives around.

All the evidence points to the fact that this Rabbi Jesus was always perceived as the messiah, there is not a single tradition that treated him otherwise, gnostic or not, not a shroud of evidence for single sect or group, or following who believed in this Jewish rabbi minus a belief that he was also the messiah or at least claimed to be. 

You want us to believe that the Messiah title  to this rabbi was Paul's invention, when all the evidence point to the fact that this rabbi was always perceived as the messiah. 

And rather than stating what should be the most obvious, that Paul devotes most of his letters to explaining the messiahship of this historal figure, the relationship of his Messiahship to God, and to humanity, you desire for us to take your position which based merely on a poor argument from silence, and the fact that the epistles were written before the Gospels? 

Someday I hope you'll get around to what I wrote instead of what you believe I wrote.

I never said that Paul gave Jesus the title of Messiah. What I have said is that the Gospel writers created a character that they made sure fit the messianic prophecies based at least in part on Paul's teachings. That he was made to fit other documents that the writers knew about is hardly surprising. They didn't need an actual rabbi to say the words - they put their words into the character's mouth. Writers do this all the time.

I would love to see the names of this consensus you speak of - I enjoy playing "count the apologists".

I also wish you'd offer proof of Jesus' historicity - right now your conjecture is as good as mine.

— George Carlin

Christos
Theist
Christos's picture
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly wrote:I also wish

jcgadfly wrote:

I also wish you'd offer proof of Jesus' historicity - right now your conjecture is as good as mine.

Oh jacgadfly, there is proof of Jesus' historicity. If you want non-Christian sources, you have Tacitus and the Arab copy of Josephus. I stated this in my last post, but you ignored it. I'm not saying that everything attributed to Jesus in the gospels is true, but the man certainly existed in some capacity.

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Christos wrote:jcgadfly

Christos wrote:

jcgadfly wrote:

Oh jacgadfly, there is proof of Jesus' historicity. If you want non-Christian sources, you have Tacitus and the Arab copy of Josephus. I stated this in my last post, but you ignored it. I'm not saying that everything attributed to Jesus in the gospels is true, but the man certainly existed in some capacity.

If only the Tacitus and Josephus quotes you cite weren't manipulations or forgeries...

— George Carlin

Christos
Theist
Christos's picture
User is offlineOffline
Nice speculation without

Nice speculation without evidence there JC. Both men were Roman historians (yes I know Josephus was a Jew, but after the Jewish Revolt he went to Rome with Vespasian and wrote his works as a Roman Citizen). All you have to do is read their accounts of Jesus. Especially Tacitus. Does that sound like a forgery to you? Now go.....search for the Arab Josephus account and Tacitus on wikipedia and come back with a poorly researched response.

User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly wrote:Someday I

jcgadfly wrote:

Someday I hope you'll get around to what I wrote instead of what you believe I wrote.

Well, judging that your ideas or so scant, you can't blame me much for having to read into them, and make assumptions about what you're implying. But sure, I'll occasionally make erroneous ones, and you can correct me of them.

Quote:
I never said that Paul gave Jesus the title of Messiah. What I have said is that the Gospel writers created a character that they made sure fit the messianic prophecies based at least in part on Paul's teachings.

Or they desired to fit a messiah claimant, or the rabbi they thought was the messiah who met his unexpected death on the cross, to fit into the messianic prophecies. Their devotion to him in life led them to be devoted to him as messiah even in his crucifixion. They then went ahead and looked through the Old Testament looking for whatever verses and scriptures they could find, that they could support their beliefs. 

It's sort of like how creationist after the fact, read back into the bible looking for verses to support the latest scientific finding, like a day is no longer a day. The Gospel writers were far more creative in their endeavor, but the dependency on Paul to make this happen is quite unnecessary and unlikely, when the OT scripture, Isaiah, the Psalms, and etc... provided more than enough material to read back to their hearts content.

If Paul's idea were used by the Gospel writers, than where's the role of Adam in any of the text? Where's the drawing from the Garden of Eden narrative? 

The only real similarity we find in the Epistles and the Gospels, is Jesus is the messiah (a claim you said they didn't need Paul for) and the Crucifixion as a means of atonement. I'm guessing what you're trying to draw from is the idea of "atonement". But what you seem to miss is the elephant in the room. What other way in the tradition of Judaism could you interpret the unexpected crucifixion of someone believed to be the messiah? If you're not conceding failure, in what possible way could you project the crucifixion as not the end of his Messianic ambition? There's really only one possible way, or at least one so obvious, and that is to interpret is as a sacrifice. And the purpose of sacrifices in the Jewish tradition, is for atonement.

Why did they perceive the messiahs role as one of atonement? Because he was crucified. 

If you desire to continue believing your barely thought out conclusion, you go on right ahead. If you still feel that you hold a better interpretation, a "more likely" explanation by all means, go ahead and present it. We could sure use the laugh. 

Quote:

Well, judging that history, nor science deals with "proofs", you might as well just ask mathematics for a banana.

neptewn
neptewn's picture
User is offlineOffline
manofmanynames wrote:neptewn

manofmanynames wrote:

neptewn wrote:

This means faith.

So finding Jesus to be the light of one's life (meaning one's sort of inspiration) is faith? 

I should say that all that I afford Jesus, and a belief in God don't equal two. It's not to believe that and than jump to a sort of another belief, but rather to believe is just to believe that. 

You have presented faith as an explanation. The amount you afford it matters little in the explanation of it's origin. If you assume there is something beyond faith at work,  so be it, but you have yet to explain that. Not that you are obligated too, I am simply pointing that out. Using vague terminolgy and concepts like 'True Love' does nothing to lend credit beyond anything but an explanation of faith. And in all honesty I'm not sure why the explanation of faith would be bad for a thiest. Care to elaborate?

Your mind will answer most questions if you learn to relax and wait for the answer. - William S. Burroughs

Christos
Theist
Christos's picture
User is offlineOffline
AmericanIdle wrote:It also

AmericanIdle wrote:

It also entails complete avoidance of having to answer for the bible and all it stands for.  It's hard to win souls for jesus when you have to explain why the blessed scriptures advocate death for picking up sticks on the sabbath or the murder of dozens of children because they mocked a bald man of god or the absurdity of mythological animals or its archaelogical impossibilities or its defiance of scientific facts or its countless inconsistencies.

So instead you pick the parts of the bible that you choose to believe are literal and discount those that you know will hamper a logical debate (Sunday morning prayer meetings are far more forgiving of talking snakes and smiting the men, women and children of entire cites for god so you don't have to pretend to doubt such ridiculous logic while in that company).  But here in this forum you get to laugh at the bible (which is what you're really doing w/ this Trail Mix method) when its convenient for you and still remain passionate about those passages which define your own personal ideology as well as assist you in formulating an argument.  (I think we could all make a pretty good guess as to the likelihood of you mocking, or even questioning a talking snake or a few thousand yr old earth while sitting/standing on either side of a pulpit... uh yeah).

I love it when Atheists decide to define what a Christian has to believe....

AmericanIdle, for you to be a true Atheist: you have to be certain that God doesn't exist, you have to be convinced without a doubt that Jesus never existed, you have to think agnosticism is irrational, and you have to believe firmly that all theists and deists suffer from a mind-disorder. You also have to think that curing theism is the most altruistic action a human being can make (Sapient actually told me that once.....honest to God). If you don't do all those things then you're dishonest and you should be shunned as an unbeliever of Atheism.

User is offlineOffline
neptewn wrote: And in all

neptewn wrote:

And in all honesty I'm not sure why the explanation of faith would be bad for a theist. Care to elaborate?

I'm not offended by it at all. In fact I agree that my belief in Jesus is based on "faith", if by faith you mean a sense of obedience, loyalty, and trust, but I had a feeling that's not what you meant by it, so i asked so that you could elaborate. 

Quote:
You have presented faith as an explanation. The amount you afford it matters little in the explanation of it's origin. If you assume there is something beyond faith at work,  so be it, but you have yet to explain that. Not that you are obligated too, I am simply pointing that out. Using vague terminology and concepts like 'True Love' does nothing to lend credit beyond anything but an explanation of faith.

Well, I don't find claiming Jesus as the exemplar of love to be vague, I mean you could have asked me to elaborate on what makes me confer such a title to him.

In fact we use some such references to love all the time, like the mother truly loved her kids, or you're abusive husband didn't love you. There may not be an objective empirical standard in which we can judge what love is in this sense, but their sure is a subjective standard that we all apply to love. In every day speech we ask questions like do you love your girl friend, do you feel your friends love you, beyond just merely liking you.

And if your dewey eyed 14 year old daughter says she loves a guy she's been dating for two weeks, you'd say, "you don't really love him, but that you just are carried away with your emotions even", though at a biological level the feeling of love would be fairly indistinguishable, from someone who we believe really does love her boyfriend. 

If I say my mother loves me, is that a vague belief of mine? When i say she loves me, it implies that i have standard in which I judge love to be, of what her character her treatment towards me should be like. Jesus defines the greatest form of love to be sacrificial love, and I agree, and my mothers love for me is surely sacrificial love for me, that if she had to lay her life on the line to save her son, she would, without even thinking about it. 

Why I say Jesus is the exemplar of perfect love, is that he lived a life of sacrificial love, to the greatest extent that I could ever conceive of it to be. He loved not only his close ones, but even those far from him, those that despised and hated him, and he loved them to the extent that he would die for them, all the same. And I know of no one, that I desire to love like, more than him. 

Perfect love is not vague, when i can coherently express what it that justifies this for me. 

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Christos wrote:Nice

Christos wrote:

Nice speculation without evidence there JC. Both men were Roman historians (yes I know Josephus was a Jew, but after the Jewish Revolt he went to Rome with Vespasian and wrote his works as a Roman Citizen). All you have to do is read their accounts of Jesus. Especially Tacitus. Does that sound like a forgery to you? Now go.....search for the Arab Josephus account and Tacitus on wikipedia and come back with a poorly researched response.

No, Tacistus wrote about the Chrestoi "the good ones" - someone came by later and changed it to Christoi.

Lots of good stuff in here re: Tacitus and Josephus.

http://www.rationalresponders.com/silence_screams_no_contemporary_historical_accounts_quotjesus

— George Carlin

neptewn
neptewn's picture
User is offlineOffline
Christos wrote:I love it

Christos wrote:

Am I on solid ground if I state all Christians have to believe in Jesus Christ?

Christos
Theist
Christos's picture
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly wrote:No, Tacistus

jcgadfly wrote:

No, Tacistus wrote about the Chrestoi "the good ones" - someone came by later and changed it to Christoi.

http://www.rationalresponders.com/silence_screams_no_contemporary_historical_accounts_quotjesus

That's Rook's speculation without support. The tacitus account talks about a movement started by a man who was crucified in Judea by Pontius Pilate. What other movement was started by someone named Christ, a crucified Jew in Judea by Pontius Pilate. If you can find one, then I'll be impressed.

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
manofmanynames

manofmanynames wrote:

jcgadfly wrote:

Well, judging that your ideas or so scant, you can't blame me much for having to read into them, and make assumptions about what you're implying. But sure, I'll occasionally make erroneous ones, and you can correct me of them.

Quote:
I never said that Paul gave Jesus the title of Messiah. What I have said is that the Gospel writers created a character that they made sure fit the messianic prophecies based at least in part on Paul's teachings.

Or they desired to fit a messiah claimant, or the rabbi they thought was the messiah who met his unexpected death on the cross, to fit into the messianic prophecies. Their devotion to him in life led them to be devoted to him as messiah even in his crucifixion. They then went ahead and looked through the Old Testament looking for whatever verses and scriptures they could find, that they could support their beliefs. 

It's sort of like how creationist after the fact, read back into the bible looking for verses to support the latest scientific finding, like a day is no longer a day. The Gospel writers were far more creative in their endeavor, but the dependency on Paul to make this happen is quite unnecessary and unlikely, when the OT scripture, Isaiah, the Psalms, and etc... provided more than enough material to read back to their hearts content.

If Paul's idea were used by the Gospel writers, than where's the role of Adam in any of the text? Where's the drawing from the Garden of Eden narrative? 

The only real similarity we find in the Epistles and the Gospels, is Jesus is the messiah (a claim you said they didn't need Paul for) and the Crucifixion as a means of atonement. I'm guessing what you're trying to draw from is the idea of "atonement". But what you seem to miss is the elephant in the room. What other way in the tradition of Judaism could you interpret the unexpected crucifixion of someone believed to be the messiah? If you're not conceding failure, in what possible way could you project the crucifixion as not the end of his Messianic ambition? There's really only one possible way, or at least one so obvious, and that is to interpret is as a sacrifice. And the purpose of sacrifices in the Jewish tradition, is for atonement.

Why did they perceive the messiahs role as one of atonement? Because he was crucified. 

If you desire to continue believing your barely thought out conclusion, you go on right ahead. If you still feel that you hold a better interpretation, a "more likely" explanation by all means, go ahead and present it. We could sure use the laugh. 

Quote:

Well, judging that history, nor science deals with "proofs", you might as well just ask mathematics for a banana.

Ok bring evidence for the historical Jesus then - you'll still have nothing.

Did I say they used all of Paul's work? No, they used what they liked. Much like modern Christianity.

You act as though you've never read literature - unexpected plot twists are used to get the reader's interest. Just like a hero's altruistic death.

Why percieve it as atonement? You can't sell a religion that has eternal punishment at the end without offering a way out, can you?

I'm glad your getting a laugh. I'm getting from watching you post what bsically comes down to "He's real! HE'S REAL! You can't say anything to change my mind! I've got my hands over my eyes so I can't read anyone's posts so I don't accidentally think! God doesn't like it when I think!"

— George Carlin

AmericanIdle
User is offlineOffline
Christos wrote:AmericanIdle

Christos wrote:

AmericanIdle wrote:

AmericanIdle, for you to be a true Atheist: you have to be certain that God doesn't exist, you have to be convinced without a doubt that Jesus never existed, you have to think agnosticism is irrational, and you have to believe firmly that all theists and deists suffer from a mind-disorder. You also have to think that curing theism is the most altruistic action a human being can make (Sapient actually told me that once.....honest to God). If you don't do all those things then you're dishonest and you should be shunned as an unbeliever of Atheism.

This should probably win an award for post with the least amount of thought.

1.) Just because you get that rush of emotion that accompanies most any supernatural belief, it really doesn't qualify you for any more particular insight into an ideology than someone who lacks the belief.  The doubter has access to the same reading/preaching material as you do.  The certainty that you somehow have a superior insight is something we call giving in to the ego.

2.) We haven't established any titles yet, so allow me... I am an Agnostic Atheist.  I am not certain that any god can be disproved, but neither do I think there is any necessity to do so.  What I do know is that all current theistic beliefs seem to be bullshit whose origins were likely stolen from prior civilizations and re-packaged for contemporary consumption.

3.) I don't have to question the rationale of agnosticism (what are you smoking?) and I don't have to doubt the existence of jesus christ.  For the record, I do in fact doubt he ever existed.  Attributing godlike characteristics to humans living and applying deity sperm to a human female was as common then as an Evangelist screwing members of his flock or priests buggering children are now.

Whether someone named "Jesus" (Or "Joshua", a name common as John at that time) existed is irrelevant.  The bible, which provides what meager evidence there is for his existence is full of all manner of hate, absurdity and contradiction and I could never allow myself to succumb to such ignorance. 

While it should be evident that the jesus character is so clearly ripped off from prior godlike characters from civilizations that preceded it, it is amazing to me that humans surrender their allegiance to supernatural bunk in the modern era.  If he existed, it's ludicrous to make him a god, or use the bible as evidence. 

4.)  For the kajillionth time.  Atheism is NOT a belief system, nor is Agnosticism.  Nor does the doubt of such belief systems require something from the supernatural realm.  

YOU believe in something supernatural.  YOU should be required to produce whatever credible evidence you might have for such existence.  Frustration at not being able to provide such evidence doesn't allow you to turn the tables and try to re-assign the burden of proof no matter how much you might like to.  

"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."
George Orwell

User is offlineOffline
AmericanIdle wrote:I'm sorry

AmericanIdle wrote:

I'm sorry that I can't provide any congratulations for throwing out the kernels of Trail Mix that you don't like and keeping the ones you do.

Well, this is just a naive assumption on your part. Are even fundamentalist who don't believe Jesus is a literal lamb that goes baaa, or comes back with a literal metallic sword protruding out of his mouth, throwing out kernels of trail mix they don't like? 

Even they have a standard in which they judge whats literal and what's not literal in the bible. It may not be the most intelligent one, but that's beside the point. Even as child when i heard the story of the tortoise and the hare, i knew that turtles didn't talk. You seem to shun me for the ability to tell the difference between narratives that attempt to teach a moral or philosophical truth, from accounts that attempt to convey something literal facts about the natural world. 

Sorry if I'm not as dumb as the village atheist, and can tell the difference. 

Quote:
It also entails complete avoidance of having to answer for the bible and all it stands for.  It's hard to win souls for Jesus when you have to explain why the blessed scriptures advocate death for picking up sticks on the sabbath or the murder of dozens of children because they mocked a bald man of god or the absurdity of mythological animals or its archaeological impossibilities or its defiance of scientific facts or its countless inconsistencies.

First off, I'm not here trying to win your soul, so i have no desire to sugar coat anything for you because of this. And I have no problem explaining why certain scriptures advocated death for picking up sticks on the sabbath, or the slaying of countless people, woman and children. And you won't find me sugar coating it one bit. But rather than making a total clown of yourself, presenting this caricature of what you assume would be my answers to such question, perhaps you should actually trying asking those question to me, to see what i really have to say.

Secondly, I would like to say that the bible does not make scientific facts, contrary to what the village atheist, and his buddy over their the fundamentalist believe, such a view is anachronistic, and totally bogus, that even modern anthropology rejects it. And its not that hard to understand why. Nobody gave a shit about the mechanics, about the hows of life, back then. No matter how much your faithful would like to believe, scientific curiosity is not an inherent biological quality, it developed with the rise of the scientific age, when we developed tools to actually explore such question. Even today such pondering, is reserved for people with a sense of privilege. If you travel to some poor village, with the uncertainties of war and famine, you're not going to find people musing about the composition of the stars. If I tried to teach my mother about how the rain is formed, she'd be like, "who gives a shit, just give me my damn umbrella.". 

The question for the those living in times of the uncertainty of miseries, of wars, famines, natural disasters, plagues, is not how, but why. What's the meaning of all of this, is there hope? 

Quote:
So instead you pick the parts of the bible that you choose to believe are literal and discount those that you know will hamper a logical debate (Sunday morning prayer meetings are far more forgiving of talking snakes and smiting the men, women and children of entire cites for god so you don't have to pretend to doubt such ridiculous logic while in that company).

Oh please, when you find some sort of substance to make such claims let me know. I attend evangelical, fundamentalist services all the time, a great many of my friends belong to this branch of Christianity, so does my mother, and the rest of my family. And they all know where I stand. 

Quote:
But here in this forum you get to laugh at the bible (which is what you're really doing w/ this Trail Mix method) when its convenient for you and still remain passionate about those passages which define your own personal ideology as well as assist you in formulating an argument.

i don't laugh at the bible. I take the Bible quite seriously, not just part of it, but all of it. I spend a great deal of time to learn the history, and the formulation of the thoughts that composed them, to understand what's going on within and outside the pages. Far more than you, Dawkins, and your average fundamentalist that's for sure. I laughed at the idiotic assumptions, that wouldn't be made if people weren't so deluded by their anti-theistic passions, not the bible, you idiot. 

Quote:
I think we could all make a pretty good guess as to the likelihood of you mocking, or even questioning a talking snake or a few thousand yr old earth while sitting/standing on either side of a pulpit... uh yeah).

Sure you can take a guess, and i'm sure you'd look a fool for doing it. 

Quote:
But there are a few problems with this method.  

1.) It's dishonest. 

2.) It's cowardly.  

Just quit while you're a head. You devoted a whole page to totally bogus and baseless assumptions about me. And then formulated this imagery conclusion, that I'm dishonest and cowardly. If anyone is a coward, and dishonest it's you. You want to take your gripes about being hurt when you were a small little theist out on anyone and anything that claims to be a theist, even if you have to imagine offenses. 

Do you really want more of this tongue lashing and shit? or do actually have something of substance to bring to the table. 

User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly wrote:Ok bring

jcgadfly wrote:

Judging that you assume history gives proof, I seriously doubt you even know what "evidence" is.

We have data, just like Darwin had in developing the ToE, and we create the best explanation to explain the data and phenomenon we're observing. In science and in history the best we can ever get, is the best explanation. 

We have the gospels, the rest of the new testament, the references to Jesus outside of them, even if they they weren't written within those three years of his ministry and death. We have a body of distinctive thought, found in the parables, the sayings, the teachings. And the question is how did they develop, what is the best explanation to explain it all? 

The best explanation is they developed on the basis of an actual historical person given the name Jesus, who was a jewish teacher, who was crucified under pontias pilate, and who was believed to be the messiah by his followers. 

When you feel you developed a better explanation you let me know.

Did I say they used all of Paul's work? No, they used what they liked. Much like modern Christianity.

You act as though you've never read literature - unexpected plot twists are used to get the reader's interest. Just like a hero's altruistic death.

Why perceive it as atonement? You can't sell a religion that has eternal punishment at the end without offering a way out, can you?

I'm glad your getting a laugh. I'm getting from watching you post what basically comes down to "He's real! HE'S REAL! You can't say anything to change my mind! I've got my hands over my eyes so I can't read anyone's posts so I don't accidentally think! God doesn't like it when I think!"

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
manofmanynames

manofmanynames wrote:

jcgadfly wrote:

Judging that you assume history gives proof, I seriously doubt you even know what "evidence" is.

We have data, just like Darwin had in developing the ToE, and we create the best explanation to explain the data and phenomenon we're observing. In science and in history the best we can ever get, is the best explanation. 

We have the gospels, the rest of the new testament, the references to Jesus outside of them, even if they they weren't written within those three years of his ministry and death. We have a body of distinctive thought, found in the parables, the sayings, the teachings. And the question is how did they develop, what is the best explanation to explain it all? 

The best explanation is they developed on the basis of an actual historical person given the name Jesus, who was a jewish teacher, who was crucified under pontias pilate, and who was believed to be the messiah by his followers. 

When you feel you developed a better explanation you let me know.

Why perceive it as atonement? You can't sell a religion that has eternal punishment at the end without offering a way out, can you?

I'm glad your getting a laugh. I'm getting from watching you post what basically comes down to "He's real! HE'S REAL! You can't say anything to change my mind! I've got my hands over my eyes so I can't read anyone's posts so I don't accidentally think! God doesn't like it when I think!"

So you've got nothing - that's all I needed to know. It's been nice talking to you.

— George Carlin

pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
pauljohntheskeptic's picture
User is offlineOffline
manofmanynames wrote:Or they

manofmanynames wrote:

They did take quite a while to do this, 30 to 70 years even by the time lines estimated by the Catholic Church as well as Evangelicals.

James Carroll in his book Constantine's Sword discussed this, as they went back through the scriptures after Jesus was executed in order to gain some understanding of what had occurred. In doing so they found verses and concepts that they concluded were, "see this is just like Jesus" He called it a healing circle. Whether any has any real meaning is another story.

manofmanynames wrote:

Good question as Jewish belief certainly did not have the Messiah being executed rather he was to lead them in establishing the Kingdom of God on Earth. As to how an executed man was to do that is why Jews didn't generally accept the story put forth. They did consider it for sometime as God did do things in mysterious ways, see Acts but eventually they concluded he was but one more wannabe claimant.

"God is omnipotent, omniscient, omnibenevolent, - it says so right here on the label. If you have a mind capable of believing all three of these divine attributes simultaneously, I have a wonderful bargain for you. No checks please. Cash and in small bills." - Robert A Heinlein.

User is offlineOffline
manofmanynames wrote:Did I

manofmanynames wrote:

So what part of Paul's works did they use? And why do you feel they needed Paul's work to begin with? 

Quote:

Well, unexpected plot twist don't work to well when you're trying to sell someone as the messiah. 

So the gospels writers wanting to make a case for their messiah, had him crucified on the cross humiliatingly, an affront to Jewish sensibilities "cursed be everyone who hangs from a tree", so they could make this already hard to sell messiah, even a harder sell? I mean early Christians would remove references to Jesus being a carpenter because they were embarrassed by it. 

A supposed messiah who dies on the cross is hardly something you make up. 

Sabbati Zevi converting to Islam was an unexpected plot twist, and the Turks sure got a laugh out of it. And all those once fervent Jews, caught up in the wave of Messianic ambitions, bowed their heads in shame. 

Quote:
Why perceive it as atonement?

No, because there really wasn't many other ways to perceive it. 

Quote:

wow, buddy some serous projection there. and you're beginning to sound like a creationist. 

User is offlineOffline
pauljohntheskeptic

pauljohntheskeptic wrote:

Good question.

Smiling

Sorry old chap, it was a rhetorical question, that I answered myself.

I know you were itching to belt out that response, but just thought I'd let you know that I wasn't looking for it. Not that I have an issue with you giving it

pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
User is offlineOffline
manofmanynames

manofmanynames wrote:

Good question.

Smiling

Sorry old chap, it was a rhetorical question, that I answered myself.

I know you were itching to belt out that response, but just thought I'd let you know that I wasn't looking for it. Not that I have an issue with you giving it

No problem. Your welcome to interpret Jewish tradition in any manner that y'all like to do. It explains exactly why you believe what you do. As an ex-believer I do understand.

"God is omnipotent, omniscient, omnibenevolent, - it says so right here on the label. If you have a mind capable of believing all three of these divine attributes simultaneously, I have a wonderful bargain for you. No checks please. Cash and in small bills." - Robert A Heinlein.

User is offlineOffline
pauljohntheskeptic wrote:No

No problem. Your welcome to interpret Jewish tradition in any manner that y'all like to do. It explains exactly why you believe what you do. As an ex-believer I do understand.

Well, I don't interpret Jewish tradition any ways i like, i interpret it for what it is. If you have an issue with that interpretation you let me know, rather than following in the popular trend of pulling out the theistic bias card when ever you feel like it.

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
manofmanynames

manofmanynames wrote:

manofmanynames wrote:

So what part of Paul's works did they use? And why do you feel they needed Paul's work to begin with? 

Quote:

Well, unexpected plot twist don't work to well when you're trying to sell someone as the messiah. 

So the gospels writers wanting to make a case for their messiah, had him crucified on the cross humiliatingly, an affront to Jewish sensibilities "cursed be everyone who hangs from a tree", so they could make this already hard to sell messiah, even a harder sell? I mean early Christians would remove references to Jesus being a carpenter because they were embarrassed by it. 

A supposed messiah who dies on the cross is hardly something you make up. 

Sabbati Zevi converting to Islam was an unexpected plot twist, and the Turks sure got a laugh out of it. And all those once fervent Jews, caught up in the wave of Messianic ambitions, bowed their heads in shame. 

Quote:
Why perceive it as atonement?

No, because there really wasn't many other ways to perceive it. 

Quote:

wow, buddy some serous projection there. and you're beginning to sound like a creationist. 

You've written the same thing the last few times without additional support and ignoring what is actually said and I'm sounding like a creationist.

Again, thanks for the laughs.

— George Carlin

WillieBop
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Gotta admit it's fun

Gotta admit it's fun watching manofmanynames taking you guys to the woodshed. Keep up the good work momn

pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
User is offlineOffline
manofmanynames

manofmanynames wrote:

Well, I don't interpret Jewish tradition any ways i like, i interpret it for what it is. If you have an issue with that interpretation you let me know, rather than following in the popular trend of pulling out the theistic bias card when ever you feel like it.

Apparently the Jews seem to have disagreement with your interpretations:

http://www.jewfaq.org/moshiach.htm

For even more views how Jews see your misinterpretations  go to:

http://jewsforjudaism.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=section&id=3&Itemid=211

How they see the suffering servant for example.

http://jewsforjudaism.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=121&Itemid=353

Not that I agree the Jewish god is anything other than a myth or legend but you certainly do not interpret scriptures for what it is as the originators of the scriptures seem to do.

pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
User is offlineOffline
WillieBop wrote:Gotta admit

WillieBop wrote:
Gotta admit it's fun watching manofmanynames taking you guys to the woodshed. Keep up the good work momn

You think his asserted claims of he's real constitutes a beating? All he has done is to show he has a belief in a possible failed moshiach that did not fulfill Jewish scripture or legend. Whether or not this messiah wannabe was a real historical figure or not does little to gain him basis in the original claims of the Jews from which Christians have derived their religion. As to Jewish myths they fail in so many ways to paraphrase John there aren't enough books to contain the failures.

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline

WillieBop wrote:

Love them christian glasses - see what you want when you want it. Smiling

I didn't know this was supposed to be an ass-kicking. Could've sworn it was a discussion.

The only difference between you, Momn and myself is that I don't claim that I'm right.

You guys insist you are based on your invisible friend's say so and evidence that is questionable at best.

— George Carlin

Abu Lahab
Superfan
Abu Lahab's picture
User is offlineOffline

WillieBop wrote:

Then you have the the observational skills of a myopic mouth breather. You're not an NFL ref by any chance, are you?

How can not believing in something that is backed up with no empirical evidence be less scientific than believing in something that not only has no empirical evidence but actually goes against the laws of the universe and in many cases actually contradicts itself? - Ricky Gervais

KSMB
Scientist
KSMB's picture
User is offlineOffline
Christos wrote:jcgadfly

Christos wrote:

jcgadfly wrote:

That's Rook's speculation without support. The tacitus account talks about a movement started by a man who was crucified in Judea by Pontius Pilate. What other movement was started by someone named Christ, a crucified Jew in Judea by Pontius Pilate. If you can find one, then I'll be impressed.

Why the hell can't you people get it through your heads that Tacitus' account at most references what some christians believed had happened. Thus, it establishes the existence of a christian sect, probably following some gospel tradition. The existence of such a christian sect at the time of Nero isn't controversial or strange or unexpected.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly wrote:WillieBop

jcgadfly wrote:

WillieBop wrote:

Love them christian glasses - see what you want when you want it. Smiling

I didn't know this was supposed to be an ass-kicking. Could've sworn it was a discussion.

The only difference between you, Momn and myself is that I don't claim that I'm right.

You guys insist you are based on your invisible friend's say so and evidence that is questionable at best.

It's not that it is questionable, it is laughable for their myth to be asserted as a naked assertion then passed off as fact.

The only thing being taken to the woodshed is their bad use of logic.

MOMN is frustrated because I wont meander the long path when the ultimate goal is to get us to believe that beings with no body or brains or neurons, much less DNA , exist.

"Paul said" is as stupid an argument as "Muhammed said" and does nothing to prove the existance of either god.

User is offlineOffline
pauljohntheskeptic wrote:Not

Not that I agree the Jewish god is anything other than a myth or legend but you certainly do not interpret scriptures for what it is as the originators of the scriptures seem to do.

The other day we were walking a tall drunk black fellow had walked up to one of my shorter friends and asked him to look up, and he started laughing. He was playing a joke on my friend, but we didn't all agree on what the interpretation of that joke was. Some of us assumed it was a short joke, believing that the tall black fellow was poking fun at the fact that my friend had to look up to see him. The others believed the black fellow was pulling the old "made you look card", and was asking him not to look up to him, but rather as if something was in the sky.

We discussed it for sometime, but decided to agree to disagree. And just because we disagreed about how to interpret what he said, that didn't mean that we believed that the other side didn't have a valid interpretation, in fact both parties had valid interpretations.

If someone wanted to argue why they feel that Jesus was not the messiah, they are more than welcome to have that debate with me, and in the end,  we may agree to disagree, but very few people are going to pull out the invalid card, or accuse my interpretation of being unreasonable. Provocative sure, unreasonable? i think not. 

I do know that Jesus is a hard sell, a messiah that defied expectations, the Jews expected Bar Kocheba type figures, not a poor carpenter, who hung out with the poor, and the publicans. They may have expected a king with a crown of gold, with an army that would make even the Chinese blush; they didn't expect one that scorned the use of violence, and preached love your enemies. They expected a messiah in rage towards their oppressors, that  would murder each and every one of them, as they themselves desired, not one to submit himself freely to the roman cross. 

So sure, Jesus Christ is one hell of a subversive messiah, and the kingdom, that one glimpses at a table where bread is broken with the poor, the whore, and the publican, is no less subversive than its King. But I find it glorious, and beautiful just as much. No other person would I ever raise as my king, lord, and God, no other kingdom could I ever desire than his. The Jews may still wait on their Bar Kocheba, but they'll be disappointed and eventually amazed. 

User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:MOMN is

Brian37 wrote:

MOMN is frustrated because I wont meander the long path when the ultimate goal is to get us to believe that beings with no body or brains or neurons, much less DNA , exist.

haha, no Brian, I'm far from frustrated.I have no idea as to why you think I would be?  I actually really been enjoying myself, and I've truly enjoyed a number of these exchanges.

I don't get why you assume my goal is to get you to believe in God? You and others wanted to come in here and fire away with questions, i just choose to come in here and respond. 

Judging that this all started in another thread where someone asked me why do I believe in God,  and from there you desired to run off with that, and decided to start a thread challenging my beliefs. If anything you were trying to get me to be an atheist, not the other way around there buddy. In fact I said countless times that I care little to convert anybody, or to convince them to believe in God. 

It's like if someone asked me why I loved my mother, and I explained to them why I do, and the person who asked goes off accusing me of trying to get him to love my mother as well. Not a really valid charge is it?

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
manofmanynames

manofmanynames wrote:

The other day we were walking a tall drunk black fellow had walked up to one of my shorter friends and asked him to look up, and he started laughing. He was playing a joke on my friend, but we didn't all agree on what the interpretation of that joke was. Some of us assumed it was a short joke, believing that the tall black fellow was poking fun at the fact that my friend had to look up to see him. The others believed the black fellow was pulling the old "made you look card", and was asking him not to look up to him, but rather as if something was in the sky.

We discussed it for sometime, but decided to agree to disagree. And just because we disagreed about how to interpret what he said, that didn't mean that we believed that the other side didn't have a valid interpretation, in fact both parties had valid interpretations.

If someone wanted to argue why they feel that Jesus was not the messiah, they are more than welcome to have that debate with me, and in the end,  we may agree to disagree, but very few people are going to pull out the invalid card, or accuse my interpretation of being unreasonable. Provocative sure, unreasonable? i think not. 

I do know that Jesus is a hard sell, a messiah that defied expectations, the Jews expected Bar Kocheba type figures, not a poor carpenter, who hung out with the poor, and the publicans. They may have expected a king with a crown of gold, with an army that would make even the Chinese blush; they didn't expect one that scorned the use of violence, and preached love your enemies. They expected a messiah in rage towards their oppressors, that  would murder each and every one of them, as they themselves desired, not one to submit himself freely to the roman cross. 

So sure, Jesus Christ is one hell of a subversive messiah, and the kingdom, that one glimpses at a table where bread is broken with the poor, the whore, and the publican, is no less subversive than its King. But I find it glorious, and beautiful just as much. No other person would I ever raise as my king, lord, and God, no other kingdom could I ever desire than his. The Jews may still wait on their Bar Kocheba, but they'll be disappointed and eventually amazed. 

Yet another post that attempts to pass off anecdotes as evidence of fact.

Saying that two Christians are right even though they don't agree on scripture is as stupid as saying two Muslims are right even though they don't agree with the interpretation of the Koran?

WTF does this have to do with credibly demonstrating that a being with no brain, DNA or body, exists?

I agree that there is no wrong way to interpret any holy book in human history, because the believer makes it up as they go along.

Naked assertions are the mother of fantasy fed by credulity and passed down by marketing.

User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:I agree that

Brian37 wrote:

I agree that there is no wrong way to interpret any holy book in human history.

There's plenty of wrong ways to interpret a holy book, just as there is plenty of wrong ways to interpret books in general. 

It's just that sometimes you can have more than one reasonable interpretation. If someone said he was Gay, and all we had to go off of was that, one reasonable interpretation is that fellow is happy today, another reasonable interpretation is that the fellow is a homosexual. An unreasonable interpretation would be that the fellow thinks he's a cat.

The more reasonable an interpretation, that better it takes things into account. Like a more reasonable interpretation of biblical text would be one that takes into account the historical setting, the culture, the mentally of people at the time, the traditions etc..., than an interpretation that was ignorant of these things. 

User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:WTF does this

Brian37 wrote:

WTF does this have to do with credibly demonstrating that a being with no brain, DNA or body, exists?

I think I see where the problem lies, you decided to start another thread, based on me saying that I believe in God, and I was led to believe thats what you wanted to discuss, why I believe.

But it seem the goal post have changed, and rather than discussing why I myself belief, you want me to convince you to believe in a God. I have not once said, or done anything to lead you to the assumption that I was going to demonstrate to you that God exists, to get you to believe by providing you a sample of god in petree dish. 

So I don't know what you want me to do for you there buddy, or why you feel I should be doing that for you? Did I say or do anything to lead you to assume i was?

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline

manofmanynames wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

There's plenty of wrong ways to interpret a holy book, just as there is plenty of wrong ways to interpret books in general. 

It's just that sometimes you can have more than one reasonable interpretation. If someone said he was Gay, and all we had to go off of was that, one reasonable interpretation is that fellow is happy today, another reasonable interpretation is that the fellow is a homosexual. An unreasonable interpretation would be that the fellow thinks he's a cat.

The more reasonable an interpretation, that better it takes things into account. Like a more reasonable interpretation of biblical text would be one that takes into account the historical setting, the culture, the mentally of people at the time, the traditions etc..., than an interpretation that was ignorant of these things. 

You have spent this entire thread dodging.

So if Scientology manages good marketing, and 5,000 years from now it becomes the most popular religion, despite the fact it was started by fans of L. Ron Hubbard, a science fiction writer, we must take into account the people who started it and the culture who buys that crap?

Ok, if something is valid merely because a culture has bought it for a period of time, then Christianity still has 1,000 years to go before it overtakes the belief in the Egyptian sun god. And by proxy of popular belief Galileo was rightfully put under house arrest for telling the truth.

My point is that a history of claims is not the same as a history of evidence based on prior data.

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline

manofmanynames wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

So the Bible stories and the God the describe being created by human beings is less plausible than there being a real invisible friend who knocked up a teenager so he could come into the world via a miracle working Jesus?

Interesting.

— George Carlin

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:I agree that

Brian37 wrote:

I agree that there is no wrong way to interpret any holy book in human history, because the believer makes it up as they go along.

I disagree. Most scriptures are horrendously vague in their terminology and their use of metaphors, but, certainly, there are always obviously wrong interpretations.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare