Why Atheist are disliked...

Anonymous
User is offlineOffline
Why Atheist are disliked...

Without citing the stats that have been done so on numerous occasions, we understand that surveys show that Atheist are one of the least liked people around (in America at least). But the reason for this is not because Atheist do not believe in God, but because the impression that popular atheist give off, the only one that most people in the US come in contact with, is not likable. Imagine if I came over for dinner and said that atheist are dipshits, if i was shown the door, or punched in the face it wouldn't be because I was a theist. 

When Christianity first appeared on the scene the hostility directed towards it wasn't so much because of it being the new religion, but rather because of it's exclusiveness, a belief in the exclusivity of truth, that their religion and god are true, while all other religions and Gods are false. Popular atheism, such as that which is promoted by this site, present an atheistic belief in exclusivity as well, the "we know the truth, and those that don't also accept our truth are just bat shit crazy". The term atheist comes accompanied with the stench of anti-theism. 

For most religious people who rarely ever come in contact with atheist, when asked a survey about what they think of them, can only draw their impressions from the Sapients, Dawkins, Harris, Hitchens of the world. So when asked a question of if one would mind having an atheist president, the question for the individual being surveyed becomes would you mind having someone like Christopher Hitchens as president. 

Imagine if someone asked you what you think of theist, and if your encounters and impressions of theist were only the Jerry Falwell type, that impression probably wouldn't be good, and would rather be quite negative. If someone asked you if you would mind having a theist as president, with only the Jerry Falwell image as the impression, you'd be shaking in your boots too. Fears of theocracy and the teaching of creationism in schools would abound.

Questions about if you would vote a theist, or an atheist as president are questions that have us probing what the role of that person's belief would be in our everyday life. Would they preach on the stage that we need to rid the world of religion, that theism is a mental disorder, remove children, such as myself, from my loving but fundamentalist christian parents for raising me up as a Christian. The more viable these fears become, by the misanthropy and anti-theistic views that abound amongst vocal atheist, those in the limelight, the less inclined individuals are going to be to view the hypothetical atheist, the hypothetical presidential candidate in a favorable light. 

Speaking from experience, I've been a disbeliever for much of my adult life, and it wasn't something I tried to conceal and hide all that much either. I hid it from my religious mother, not because I feared she would disown me or love me any less, but because it would mean that in her already tough life, she'd have something else to worry about. And also because I knew in her circumstance that it was only her religious belief, in a faith in God of purpose and meaning, could she find any hope in this life of hers. Her religion was a source of tremendous comfort for her, even I myself viewed it as a delusion, a fantasy at the time. 

Though I was an atheist, I didn't hold resentment towards the religion I was raised in. My impression of Christians wasn't tarnished by a few bad images of them. My childhood was filled with fond memories of the church where we used to burn toilet paper in the bathroom stalls, and play hang man in the pews. 

My friends had long known that I was a disbeliever, in fact my sister, and many of them often think that I'm still an atheist, and I smile at the accusations, rather than being offended by it. I used to blog about my disbelief all the time, the circumstances, and the questions that led me there. Not once did someone turn to me with derision, or attempted to spit in my face for being a disbeliever. Friends and strangers who knew, welcomed me all the same. My disbelief was a personal choice, a product of sincere reflection, not one that I felt compelled to be evangelical about. Often time questions and doubts about their own faith were brought to me even before they'd seek out their religious leaders.

If someone such as myself, at the time were to run for president I'm sure I'd get their votes as well. Their impressions of this atheist wouldn't be based on the popular images of them, such as the atheists that run sites such as this, and engage in evangelical campaigns, but rather personal knowledge of one that doesn't fit that misanthropic mold. 

If we didn't have a rich history of theistic presidents, most of you would be just as skeptical about a hypothetical future one as president as many American Christians are. It's only because we know by our history that not all theistic presidents are George Bush, we have our Clintons, and our Obamas as well. 

To quote Hitchens: "People say they wouldn't vote for an atheist. How do they know they wouldn't? They haven't had an offer from a decent atheist yet. I don't think thats a real question for an opinion poll to be asking. [...] If republicans had been asked in the 1970's: would they vote for a divorced, ex-movie actor, they probably would have said no." 

Most people don't dislike atheist just because they don't believe in God. Most of this dislike stems from what they believe the opinion of the atheists views on their religion are. If you believe someone doesn't like you, thinks of you as an idiot, as delusional, or what not, you're probably not going to like them that much either. Trust me, I know, i often call the beliefs of some atheist here on this forum as idiotic and delusional, and let's just say I haven't made many friends here. 

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
OrdinaryClay wrote:Any

OrdinaryClay wrote:

Any atheist that denies their own actions as part of the reason they are individually disliked is - well in denial.

Well of course, but that applies to any person.

OrdinaryClay wrote:
It is very clear when visiting any atheist forum that there is a majority dislike, even hatred, by many atheists for Christians. I have been the target of absurd caricatures many times.

I'm sure you already do, but you can pretty much ignore that kind of treatment out of hand. Those are people who want to be right about something, and it doesn't seem to matter what it is. You seem reasonable, so I can't imagine you'll take too much in the way of insult, here.

Saint Will: no gyration without funkstification.
fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

thatonedude
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
OrdinaryClay wrote:Any

OrdinaryClay wrote:

Any atheist that denies their own actions as part of the reason they are individually disliked is - well in denial. It is very clear when visiting any atheist forum that there is a majority dislike, even hatred, by many atheists for Christians. I have been the target of absurd caricatures many times. 

I dislike religion in general. I dispute Christianity because it is the dominant religious group in my part of the world(the USA), and I had been a member of that group for the majority of my adult life, so I know firsthand the myopic foolishness that comes from that particular faith. I get to watch the irrational foundation laid by Christianity infect every other facet of peoples' lives. I have watched minor theological disputes tear families and friends apart, and I know as well that while they may be at each other's throat, should I interject from an atheist point, I would be the target of all of it.

I try to deal with Christians fairly, but I will not grant legitimacy to your ideas until you can back them up with proof. My own mother had tears in her eyes when we last discussed religion. I felt bad for her, but emotions have nothing to do with it. If rejecting irrational beliefs, however cherished, makes me a bad person in your eyes, so be it. I'm used to being called a pervert and a monster by people who have never met me and know nothing about me aside from the fact that I don't believe in their particular fiction.

All that is necessary for the triumph of good is that evil men do nothing.

OrdinaryClay
Theist
User is offlineOffline
JillSwift wrote:OrdinaryClay

JillSwift wrote:

OrdinaryClay wrote:

Any atheist that denies their own actions as part of the reason they are individually disliked is - well in denial. It is very clear when visiting any atheist forum that there is a majority dislike, even hatred, by many atheists for Christians. I have been the target of absurd caricatures many times. 

You seem to be carrying a very broad brush.

A point of my post was that responsibility can not always be shifted. Implying I have the brush ignores who has the paint. 

Now to your point (which I understand) about generalizing, I may not have evidence gathered in a controlled fashion for my claim, but then again my claim is not a strong claim that every atheist hates Christians. Simply that the majority dislike Christians, with clearly some fomenting into hatred. There are two pieces of observational evidence that can be seen when visiting any atheist site: 1) a large percentage(disproportionate in fact) of loud and vocal expressions of dislike, 2) a clear lack of any support from other atheists when the rabid among them let loose.

OrdinaryClay
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Anonymouse

Anonymouse wrote:

OrdinaryClay wrote:

Any atheist that denies their own actions as part of the reason they are individually disliked is - well in denial. It is very clear when visiting any atheist forum that there is a majority dislike, even hatred, by many atheists for Christians.

And any theist that denies their own actions as part of the reason they are individually disliked is, well, in denial too ?

If you are saying that actions influence if other people dislike or like us, yes. I think you know I was saying more then that. If not, then, I was saying more then that. 

This is very measurable. It would be tedious for sure, but doable. We can look nearby for some small contribution in evidence, do atheists really need a special heavily moderated forum with monster bold red letters visually slapping them in the face in order to prevent them from verbally abusing Christians? I don't know but someone on this site seems to think so.

Anonymouse wrote:

OrdinaryClay wrote:
I have been the target of absurd caricatures many times. 

Same here.

I'm sure it would be very informative comparing exepriences. 

OrdinaryClay
Theist
User is offlineOffline
HisWillness

HisWillness wrote:

OrdinaryClay wrote:

Surveys have to be taken individually. To dismiss them entirely would be a waste of available data. There are tools to reduce the concerns you have.

It's just not a reliable method to discover anything.

Sure it is. No offense but this sounds like it is leading to a conspiracy theory or something.

HisWillness wrote:

You're right that I would have to take each individually, but that's kind of the problem.

Ah, sorry, I was not clear. I mean each survey needs to be considered for soundness individually.  

HisWillness wrote:

The tools to reduce my concerns would be things like reading the questions as they are posed, which could vary especially in the case of phone polls, or polls taken on the street.

Well, yes, but I meant proper sampling and statistical techniques.

JillSwift
Superfan
JillSwift's picture
User is offlineOffline
OrdinaryClay wrote:JillSwift

OrdinaryClay wrote:

JillSwift wrote:

OrdinaryClay wrote:

A point of my post was that responsibility can not always be shifted. Implying I have the brush ignores who has the paint. 

Now to your point (which I understand) about generalizing, I may not have evidence gathered in a controlled fashion for my claim, but then again my claim is not a strong claim that every atheist hates Christians. Simply that the majority dislike Christians, with clearly some fomenting into hatred. There are two pieces of observational evidence that can be seen when visiting any atheist site: 1) a large percentage(disproportionate in fact) of loud and vocal expressions of dislike, 2) a clear lack of any support from other atheists when the rabid among them let loose.

You don't have any evidence to back your claim, even poor quality evidence. What you have is a feeling.

Humans remember strong emotions over lesser. Someone who says things that hurt, frighten or offend will be remembered over someone who says things that make little difference.  Just as someone who says things that praise, thrill or support will be remembered over someone who says things that make little difference. This makes general observation next to useless as it biases opinion according to emotional response. This is why it's best to compile samples and classify them later for a count of opinion/argument types so that you can get a more objective view.

If you were to compile a solid sample of posts you would likely find that there is a majority of vocal atheists who dislike Christianity - as well as other religions. It is far less likely that you will find even a significant minority who dislike Christians.

Which brings me to another problem: Humans are also "tribal". We tend to view things as in-group versus out-group. This not only further biases observation, but it also means a certain percentage of folks making opinions will fail to differentiate between the ideas being argued and the people holding those ideas. This is often why "atheists" are disliked by "theists" in someone's opinion when the "theist"really only dislikes the "atheism". It works equally the other way around, of course.

"Anyone can repress a woman, but you need 'dictated' scriptures to feel you're really right in repressing her. In the same way, homophobes thrive everywhere. But you must feel you've got scripture on your side to come up with the tedious 'Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve' style arguments instead of just recognising that some people are different." - Douglas Murray

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
User is offlineOffline
  I'm a former

I'm a former fundamentalist Christian ( who supports the view of weak atheism ) and while I consider all religions as a form of false but comforting beliefs there are personally no Christians that come to mind that I feel strong animosity against.  I still hold my former pastor in high esteem based upon his moral character and his kind heart.  I like him because he's a likeable guy.

I am reluctant though to publicly share my views because I seriously do not anticipate a charitable response from the average Bible-believing Christian.  I don't fear being attacked of course but being ostracised or made to be a pariah isn't my idea of a good time.

If you feel like it, here's a link you can check out that demonstrates that my perception is not simply a persecution complex but is actually grounded in legal code.  

http://freethoughtpedia.com/wiki/Laws_and_ other_rules_against_atheists_and_agnostics

(edit:  I can't link to this article for some reason.  I typed the address correctly.... sorry. )

OrdinaryClay
Theist
User is offlineOffline

JillSwift wrote:

OrdinaryClay wrote:

JillSwift wrote:

OrdinaryClay wrote:

You don't have any evidence to back your claim, even poor quality evidence. What you have is a feeling.

If you were to compile a solid sample of posts you would likely find that there is a majority of vocal atheists who dislike Christianity - as well as other religions. It is far less likely that you will find even a significant minority who dislike Christians.

This is often why "atheists" are disliked by "theists" in someone's opinion when the "theist"really only dislikes the "atheism". It works equally the other way around, of course.

And why is it your feelings are any more evidence then my feelings?

OrdinaryClay
Theist
User is offlineOffline
ProzacDeathWish wrote:I

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

I still hold my former pastor in high esteem based upon his moral character and his kind heart.

I'm glad to hear this. btw - Why do you have Luke 19:27 in your signature?

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

I am reluctant though to publicly share my views because I seriously do not anticipate a charitable response from the average Bible-believing Christian.  I don't fear being attacked of course but being ostracised or made to be a pariah isn't my idea of a good time.

If you feel like it, here's a link you can check out that demonstrates that my perception is not simply a persecution complex but is actually grounded in legal code.  

http://freethoughtpedia.com/wiki/Laws_and_ other_rules_against_atheists_and_agnostics

"All laws against atheists holding office were ruled unconstitutional and unenforceable by the 1961 [US] Supreme Court case Torcaso v. Watkins on a first amendment basis."

I think your perception in the Christian west is not grounded in legal code. 

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
JillSwift wrote:If you were

JillSwift wrote:

If you were to compile a solid sample of posts you would likely find that there is a majority of vocal atheists who dislike Christianity - as well as other religions. It is far less likely that you will find even a significant minority who dislike Christian

Actually if you asked me, I would say that those atheists who dislike Christians are in a majority, given my time on other boards, and my experiences with atheists IRL.

Of course this is ancedotal, but that's kinda the point.

JillSwift
Superfan
JillSwift's picture
User is offlineOffline
OrdinaryClay wrote:And why

OrdinaryClay wrote:
When did I make that claim?

"Anyone can repress a woman, but you need 'dictated' scriptures to feel you're really right in repressing her. In the same way, homophobes thrive everywhere. But you must feel you've got scripture on your side to come up with the tedious 'Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve' style arguments instead of just recognising that some people are different." - Douglas Murray

JillSwift
Superfan
JillSwift's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

JillSwift wrote:

If you were to compile a solid sample of posts you would likely find that there is a majority of vocal atheists who dislike Christianity - as well as other religions. It is far less likely that you will find even a significant minority who dislike Christian

Actually if you asked me, I would say that those atheists who dislike Christians are in a majority, given my time on other boards, and my experiences with atheists IRL.

Of course this is ancedotal, but that's kinda the point.

More than kinda Sticking out tongue

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
User is offlineOffline
OrdinaryClay

OrdinaryClay wrote:

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

I still hold my former pastor in high esteem based upon his moral character and his kind heart.

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

"All laws against atheists holding office were ruled unconstitutional and unenforceable by the 1961 [US] Supreme Court case Torcaso v. Watkins on a first amendment basis."

Perhaps the statutes that singled out "infidels"  have since been discarded. If so, then I consider that a sign of progress.  ( 1961 wasn't that long ago, btw )   Oh well, I wasn't planning on running for office anyway, heh heh.

Those now defunct examples that I attempted to cite ( failed link ) do illustrate a prejudicial mindset and were intended to exclude non-religious individuals from participating in the political process. 

I wish that I could understand exactly why these legislators felt the need to enact those statutes in the first place.  That would be interesting to know.

Oh, the passage from Luke was just an interesting verse to examine, it's as if Jesus were channeling the personality of Al Capone or Pablo Escobar.  It sounds very, uh....punitive ?

OrdinaryClay
Theist
User is offlineOffline
thatonedude wrote:... I get

thatonedude wrote:

... I get to watch the irrational foundation laid by Christianity infect every other facet of peoples' lives.

For example?

thatonedude wrote:

I have watched minor theological disputes tear families and friends apart, and I know as well that while they may be at each other's throat, should I interject from an atheist point, I would be the target of all of it.
So you think these families would have been happy and healthy had it not been for Christianity? Or do you think maybe there were underlying pathologies that would have surfaced anyway?  I've seen Christianity build relationships and heal families. I've seen communities come together to contribute to unbelievable missions giving. I have seen young families go half way around the world to give of their  very life to help less fortunate who had nothing to give in return. This can be multiplied by the 100s of thousands. I've also seen families torn apart, but never by theology or Christianity. It has always been by bad choices they themselves have made in their life. By unrealistic and selfish expectations about what life "owes" them.  

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
OrdinaryClay

OrdinaryClay wrote:
HisWillness wrote:
It's just not a reliable method to discover anything.

Sure it is. No offense but this sounds like it is leading to a conspiracy theory or something.

Haha! Oh no, I'm not one for conspiracy theories. I suppose I should qualify my point, though: I'm saying that there are many things working against surveys in terms of reliable data. People lie, the questions are often asked poorly, the surveys themselves can be written poorly (and often are), things like that.

You're quite right in pointing out that I was extreme in my objection to surveys outright. I just think that it's difficult not to take survey data without a grain of salt.

OrdinaryClay wrote:
Ah, sorry, I was not clear. I mean each survey needs to be considered for soundness individually.

Yeah, that's what I meant, too. In a situation where several surveys would make a case, having to go through each is quite the pain. But I'm sounding like an advocacy for laziness, aren't I? That's not the case, actually. People dealing with survey data simply have an uphill climb to make their case; it's certainly not impossible, and neither is it without value. 

OrdinaryClay wrote:
Well, yes, but I meant proper sampling and statistical techniques.

I have no objection along those lines (other than the occasional dubious use of meta-analysis). My objections are only with the possibility of getting misleading data, so I suppose the short version is "grain of salt", not "conspiracy theory" (which really did make me laugh).

fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

OrdinaryClay
Theist
User is offlineOffline

JillSwift wrote:

OrdinaryClay wrote:

I assumed since you were making statements you meant them. This is not the case? 

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:I have been the target

Quote:

Yeah, and this isn't realy hatred. It's calling out your absurd beliefs for what they are.

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

- Leon Trotsky, Last Will & Testament
February 27, 1940

OrdinaryClay
Theist
User is offlineOffline
ProzacDeathWish

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

OrdinaryClay wrote:

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

Perhaps the statutes that singled out "infidels"  have since been discarded. If so, then I consider that a sign of progress.  ( 1961 wasn't that long ago, btw )   Oh well, I wasn't planning on running for office anyway, heh heh.

I did not see any infidel stuff in the link(it worked for me), but I'm sure Islam has plenty of laws on the books. I need no link to know this.

I have no doubt such mindsets exist, but this does not mean you are persecuted against. Those laws fell as they should have, and they fell while I'm sure atheism was not a majority voting block.

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

Oh, the passage from Luke was just an interesting verse to examine, it's as if Jesus were channeling the personality of Al Capone or Pablo Escobar.  It sounds very, uh....punitive ?

Divine punishment is no secret. What should he have said?

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
OrdinaryClay

OrdinaryClay wrote:

That's the parable of the ten minas/talents, right? I have to admit, I think the punchline to the story could have been better. "Okay, now that I've rewarded my slaves, uh, let's see ... what else is on the agenda ... oh, right! The slaughter of mine enemies! Let's get cracking, people!"

It's a really abrupt ending to the story, and it's a bit confusing.

OrdinaryClay
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Kevin R Brown wrote:Quote:I

Kevin R Brown wrote:

Quote:

Yeah, and this isn't realy hatred. It's calling out your absurd beliefs for what they are.

Actually, you don't know that. I agree caricatures can be made for many reasons, but a very common reason is as a target of hate. I have had people openly say they hated me, others just go into this endless sophomoric verbal tirade. Others have just calmly debated the issue - of course with the obligatory condescension.

Why exactly do atheists seem to irresistibly ridicule Christianity and the believer? Let's suppose you went to Africa and you were a visitor in a tribal village and they had some ceremony which included supernatural elements. Would you ridicule them for it? 

JillSwift
Superfan
JillSwift's picture
User is offlineOffline
OrdinaryClay wrote:JillSwift

OrdinaryClay wrote:

JillSwift wrote:

OrdinaryClay wrote:

I assumed since you were making statements you meant them. This is not the case? 

Don't dodge. When did I make the claim my feelings were evidence?

FreeHugMachine
FreeHugMachine's picture
User is offlineOffline
>.<

Atheists in general find it irrational to believe in god(s).  If you aren't being rational you are perceived to be 'stupid' by many of them.  Dealing with stupid (and stubborn) people is frustrating.  When frustrated enough from personal experiences with stupid people, and given a stupidity flag by a newly met person, one might act with general dislike towards a person without knowing them.  This is definitely rash and not called for by the atheist.

Still Christians are perceived to have a general hatred and dislike of atheists.

I could care less if I'm liked by my belief or lack thereof, it's actions that I wish to be judged by (and judge others upon).

pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
pauljohntheskeptic's picture
User is offlineOffline
manofmanynames wrote:When

manofmanynames wrote:

When Christianity first appeared on the scene the hostility directed towards it wasn't so much because of it being the new religion, but rather because of it's exclusiveness, a belief in the exclusivity of truth, that their religion and god are true, while all other religions and Gods are false.

They were also considered atheists for denying the pagan gods.

manofmanynames wrote:

Popular atheism, such as that which is promoted by this site, present an atheistic belief in exclusivity as well, the "we know the truth, and those that don't also accept our truth are just bat shit crazy". The term atheist comes accompanied with the stench of anti-theism.

The real point is the beliefs are held to be 'bat shit crazy', as the believers seem rational generally in most other areas.

manofmanynames wrote:

For most religious people who rarely ever come in contact with atheist, when asked a survey about what they think of them, can only draw their impressions from the Sapients, Dawkins, Harris, Hitchens of the world. So when asked a question of if one would mind having an atheist president, the question for the individual being surveyed becomes would you mind having someone like Christopher Hitchens as president.

This is true for many other groups of people. Those who have never been in the South may think wierd things about us or might.

In Florida and Orlando, no we don't go to the beach everyday or to Disney. Though mouse ears are worn at Disney by tourists we don't wear them to work.

manofmanynames wrote:

Imagine if someone asked you what you think of theist, and if your encounters and impressions of theist were only the Jerry Falwell type, that impression probably wouldn't be good, and would rather be quite negative. If someone asked you if you would mind having a theist as president, with only the Jerry Falwell image as the impression, you'd be shaking in your boots too. Fears of theocracy and the teaching of creationism in schools would abound.

As an ex-believer I'm aware of both the fanatics, yeah Tammy Fae was scary up close, and the run of the mill believer.

manofmanynames wrote:

Questions about if you would vote a theist, or an atheist as president are questions that have us probing what the role of that person's belief would be in our everyday life. Would they preach on the stage that we need to rid the world of religion, that theism is a mental disorder, remove children, such as myself, from my loving but fundamentalist christian parents for raising me up as a Christian. The more viable these fears become, by the misanthropy and anti-theistic views that abound amongst vocal atheist, those in the limelight, the less inclined individuals are going to be to view the hypothetical atheist, the hypothetical presidential candidate in a favorable light.

Hopefully they keep their beliefs to themselves and allow others to think or believe that which they choose. Though I may consider your belief to be Sci-Fi fantasy our Constitution gurantees you and Scientology both such right as well as those of us that believe in no god. Hopefully you heard Obama's Inaugural Speech where he said exactly that.

manofmanynames wrote:

Though I was an atheist, I didn't hold resentment towards the religion I was raised in. My impression of Christians wasn't tarnished by a few bad images of them. My childhood was filled with fond memories of the church where we used to burn toilet paper in the bathroom stalls, and play hang man in the pews.

I resent the time wasted that could have been used productively doing something else. Snow skiing, fishing, anything else at all.

So I was an altar boy and we used to smoke outside the back door right before services.

manofmanynames wrote:

If we didn't have a rich history of theistic presidents, most of you would be just as skeptical about a hypothetical future one as president as many American Christians are. It's only because we know by our history that not all theistic presidents are George Bush, we have our Clintons, and our Obamas as well.

George Bush scared the shit out of many of us and caused Barry Goldwater to turn over in his grave. As far as I am concerned anyone that carries around the big red button needs to be well grounded in this world. I was never worried about Clinton as he liked sex to much to push the button. Bush on the other hand was just as likely to push it and take y'all to Jesus and blow the reat of us up.

manofmanynames wrote:

Most people don't dislike atheist just because they don't believe in God. Most of this dislike stems from what they believe the opinion of the atheists views on their religion are. If you believe someone doesn't like you, thinks of you as an idiot, as delusional, or what not, you're probably not going to like them that much either. Trust me, I know, i often call the beliefs of some atheist here on this forum as idiotic and delusional, and let's just say I haven't made many friends here.

Please!

I have a sister that is a Fundie, an ex-girlfriend that is a Fundie (we still are friends), I know personally a nationally known Evangelical singer and a wannabe Gospel singer with CDs out. I get along with all of them.

Just how many friends do you think you can make on an Internet Forum in a week?

"God is omnipotent, omniscient, omnibenevolent, - it says so right here on the label. If you have a mind capable of believing all three of these divine attributes simultaneously, I have a wonderful bargain for you. No checks please. Cash and in small bills." - Robert A Heinlein.

pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
pauljohntheskeptic's picture
User is offlineOffline
OrdinaryClay wrote:All laws

OrdinaryClay wrote:

All laws against atheists holding office were ruled unconstitutional and unenforceable by the 1961 [US] Supreme Court case Torcaso v. Watkins on a first amendment basis.

1961 isn't all that long ago, just ask the NAACP.

Discrimination whether by skin color or by belief is wrong. Laws have been changed and so have perceptions. We'll see how the Right handles the demands by the gays for equal rights. If they stand up for the rights of everyone to be free as the US Constitution gurantees, real progress will be made in all areas. I'm surprised at some of the comments recently by Republicans, though right wing evangelicals don't seem to be suddenly supporting the rights of others for equality.

"God is omnipotent, omniscient, omnibenevolent, - it says so right here on the label. If you have a mind capable of believing all three of these divine attributes simultaneously, I have a wonderful bargain for you. No checks please. Cash and in small bills." - Robert A Heinlein.

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
User is offlineOffline
OrdinaryClay

OrdinaryClay wrote:

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

OrdinaryClay wrote:

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

I did not see any infidel stuff in the link(it worked for me), but I'm sure Islam has plenty of laws on the books. I need no link to know this.

I have no doubt such mindsets exist, but this does not mean you are persecuted against. Those laws fell as they should have, and they fell while I'm sure atheism was not a majority voting block.

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

Oh, the  use of "infidel" was just an unsuccessful attempt at humor on my part.  Sorry. It was meant to make light of the us and them aspects that all three Abrahamic religions seem to embrace regarding outsiders.

Actually, I wasn't attempting to project any victim status in refernce to any existing laws.  ( Anyway, now that I am no longer religious being a martyr doesn't have the same appeal to me as it once did. )  Thankfully those laws are now irrelevent.  I was simply trying to illustrate the remarkable lengths that some religious minded legislators were willing to go to in order to prevent political access.  That's all. 

At any rate my personal observations were in reference to experiencing a sort of ingrained cultural prejudice against persons with no religious beliefs and that this sometime manifests itself in relationships with my peers.  Even so, I make no effort to play it up as an issue.  It is what it is and humans will always disagree with each other.  As long as no one tries to burn me at the stake or otherwise abuse me I don't see the need to make a stand if you know what I mean.

Regarding divine punishment and what Jesus said; lol, well of course, ....those kinds of vengeful pronouncements are perfectly consistent with the scriptural image of Jesus.  In fact I find no contradiction at all.  Ultimately that's what it's all about; worship and obey me or I'll burn you alive.  Nothing complicated about it.

OrdinaryClay
Theist
User is offlineOffline

JillSwift wrote:

OrdinaryClay wrote:

JillSwift wrote:

OrdinaryClay wrote:

Don't dodge. When did I make the claim my feelings were evidence?

I'm not dodging. Are you dodgin? You made statements. Read your post. Statements are usually made to say something. 

thatonedude
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
OrdinaryClay wrote:For

OrdinaryClay wrote:

For example?

In my experience, it has been strongly positively correlated with a rejection of empirical evidence and rational thought(you know, science). This is most evident in the many people I interact with who reject basic biology because they have a preconceived notion that they wish to protect(creationism). As my mother put it, "evolution leaves no room for God." She refused to review evidence because she was afraid it would undermine her faith. I have theists passing me links to perpetual motion machines(they've relabeled them "overunity" machines, now). I have theists passing me conspiracy theories. I have theists telling me about crystal power, reincarnation, astrology, dowsing rods, magic fuel boosting devices, weeping icons and statues, glowing crosses and more. And that list is without even considering anyone outside of my FAMILY. And, I might add, 100% of the people who believe the above also claim to be Christian.

Just today, I received a call from a woman who claimed that God spoke to her and told her to witness on Myspace. When she caught the attention of some Muslim apologists, they started sending her links explaining their beliefs. She became scared that they were breaking into her computer. And, after this, her autistic grandson's computer started crashing. It didn't matter how many times I told her that it was an impending hard drive crash. Those Muslims had broken in and taken over her grandson's computer. She is incapable of hearing rational explanations anymore. Imagine if she knew that that nice man who fixes her computers for so cheap was a dirty atheist?

Quote:

So you think these families would have been happy and healthy had it not been for Christianity? Or do you think maybe there were underlying pathologies that would have surfaced anyway? 
From my vantage point, no. The strife simply did not exist until they accepted different brands of Christianity, and began trying to convert each other. It is a powerful motivator, thinking that your beloved family members will burn in hell for believing the wrong things. And these are people who, for the most part, couldn't tell you anything about the history of Christianity between 30AD and the Reformation. I remember seeing the glazed look when I was explaining Arianism to one crowd. Not one person had a clue what I was talking about. They were just parrots, repeating whatever shallow nonsense they had heard from their pastor. 
Quote:
 I've seen Christianity build relationships and heal families. I've seen communities come together to contribute to unbelievable missions giving. I have seen young families go half way around the world to give of their  very life to help less fortunate who had nothing to give in return. This can be multiplied by the 100s of thousands. I've also seen families torn apart, but never by theology or Christianity. It has always been by bad choices they themselves have made in their life. By unrealistic and selfish expectations about what life "owes" them.  
Then you have lived a sheltered life. I have seen years of pain caused by Christians bickering amongst themselves. I even had the chance to watch a Baptist church split because of a problem some of them had with the Methodists! That was amusing! I have no doubt that Christians can come together for good works. That is a human instinct, and not at all unique to Christians. It is found in all sorts of theists and, yes, even in horrible atheists like me. I find it to be a sad irony that when homeless people need help in my small town, the churches call ME. Because they know I'll help, and they can wash their hands of the matter. I am the one who gives of my time and money, because they are too busy or too poor to help. I am the one who pays for motel rooms, and buys dinner, and helps them however I can. I am the one who let homeless people live with me when I barely had room for myself. I would say that if someone were not privy to my private thoughts and my whereabouts on Sundays that they would think me a devoted Christian. They couldn't be more wrong. I despise any figure who would reduce humans to a flock of sheep who mill around with nary a rational thought rattling around upstairs. Shepherds only keep sheep for fleecing and food. Which one are you?

geirj
geirj's picture
User is offlineOffline
OrdinaryClay wrote:I may not

OrdinaryClay wrote:

I may not have evidence gathered in a controlled fashion for my claim, but then again my claim is not a strong claim that every atheist hates Christians. Simply that the majority dislike Christians, with clearly some fomenting into hatred. There are two pieces of observational evidence that can be seen when visiting any atheist site: 1) a large percentage(disproportionate in fact) of loud and vocal expressions of dislike, 2) a clear lack of any support from other atheists when the rabid among them let loose.

I think you misunderstand. You know the old saying - "Hate the sin, love the sinner" (or something like that)? Most atheists don't hate Christians (or Muslims), we "hate" what you believe...and I think "hate" is too strong a word - to be precise, we find your God-belief to be incredibly frustrating because it makes no logical or scientific sense and it often causes you to do things that are irrational and conterproductive. That frustration often results in some vitriolic responses, to be sure. But we don't hate you. It's what results from your beliefs that we have a problem with.

Nobody I know was brainwashed into being an atheist.

Why Believe?

spike.barnett
Superfan
spike.barnett's picture
User is offlineOffline
OrdinaryClay wrote:

OrdinaryClay wrote:

thatonedude wrote:

... I get to watch the irrational foundation laid by Christianity infect every other facet of peoples' lives.

For example?

After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him.

The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.
MySpace

JillSwift
Superfan
JillSwift's picture
User is offlineOffline
OrdinaryClay wrote:I'm not

OrdinaryClay wrote:
I'm not dodging. Are you dodgin? You made statements. Read your post. Statements are usually made to say something. 
I never made the claim that my feelings were evidence of anything. I have no idea what you're on about.

If you can't point out where I made that claim then I've no idea why you're claiming that I did.

My post attempted to explain errors of perception and how to get around those errors of perception. I presented nothing that can not be verified by a quick search via Google as current psychology or by actually compiling a sample yourself.

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Why exactly do

Quote:
Why exactly do atheists seem to irresistibly ridicule Christianity and the believer? Let's suppose you went to Africa and you were a visitor in a tribal village and they had some ceremony which included supernatural elements. Would you ridicule them for it?

Answer to 1st question: Because it's irresistibly ridiculous, and even more flabbergasting, somehow widely accepted. A magic man in space just poofed shit into existence. Really? Fucking REALLY??? Nothing to back-up that assertion at all has ever been presented, yet people just eat it up because it makes them feel 'special'.

If that's not worthy of being made fun of, nothing is.

Answer to 2nd question: Yes. I haven't traveled to Africa, but best you believe I've already made fun of the ridiculous native american rituals that happen in my backyard.

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

- Leon Trotsky, Last Will & Testament
February 27, 1940

manofmanynames (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
thatonedude wrote:That it

thatonedude wrote:

That it is ok to allow others to suffer in your place? That sentient beings can be owned like cattle? That it can be just to punish finite beings infinitely?

And yet, nailing a god(who cannot REALLY die) to a piece of wood to cleanse you of your sinful condition(a condition that said god, being infinitely wise and benevolent, created you in) and therefore becoming an utterly subservient thrall to that god is somehow meaningful?

I'm assuming you're expounding on the idea of penal substitution, as if Jesus died on the cross so I wouldn't have to. Which to me is an odd belief, when we take into account what Jesus himself says of the cross: "Take up your cross, and follow me". The cross is not a idea of having others suffer for us, it's an idea of us suffering for the sake of others. It's an assertion of ones dignity and compassion in midst of even depravity, to turn even the darkest corners of human nature on its head, to redeem it. 

Quote:
I would take this opportunity to question what it is in your psychological makeup that creates such a need. I know, in my case, that it was largely driven out of a fear of death and a desire to further bond with my father. 

Well, none of these are a reason for my belief, I never really had a fear of death, and I've been held at gunpoint and shot at on more than one occasion. Nor would any of the strong and meaningful relationships I've developed over the years of my life be fractured if I no longer believed. 

The life I've been given, and witness often leaves me cold, and indifferent. There's a sense of hardening particularly towards others. My poor friends refer to this situation we live in as "the struggle", and this struggle often produces even in them a callous regard for human life, the tendency to act violent just for they sheer joy of acting violently, concerned only with the welfare of a few close friends, but totally unconcerned for the well being of others. Though I'm not at such an extreme, I do share with them a fractured sense of compassion. There have been times that I've had to fake empathy so that I wouldn't appear heartless. 

It's not that I desire to be so indifferent, in fact I desire to be far more compassionate, it's just that my exposure to life has hardened me this way. What's lacking is a conviction, to anchor in my self-conscious desire as an instinctual will. This is the psychological makeup that creates such a need. 

When I found the Gospels in my adult hood, and accepted the meaning and depiction of Jesus Christ, I found the only thing I've ever known that convicts me to love. It grants me a frame of viewing the world, and my actions from the perspective of the cross, that the end result of our indifference and cruelty is Christ crucified, and this image of the one who asserted his dignity and love even to those who inflicted their cruelty on him, leaves the image of the cross as forever haunting, and yet redeeming. 

The cross is affective in that it presents human indifference at it's extreme, and deeply moving in that expresses love at it's extreme as well, as transformative even of the ugly. 

Nordmann
atheist
Nordmann's picture
User is offlineOffline
manofmany etc wrote:Well,

manofmany etc wrote:

Well, perhaps you can teach me on how my perspective has been damaged by my religion. 

No - reckon you've been preached enough to in life. Learn it yourself.

I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy

User is offlineOffline
Nordmann wrote:Learn it

Nordmann wrote:

Learn it yourself.

Oh I have nordey, oh I have. 

And I'll tell you Nordey, that it's not me who needs to go out and learn something, but you. 

That's fine, accept what ever silly beliefs you need to hold your atheistic perspective on life as far superior to any religious perspective. 

But responses like your previous one, seem only to showcase the shallowness of your ideas rather than the veracity of them.

Nordmann
atheist
Nordmann's picture
User is offlineOffline
Why did you ask for a lesson

Why did you ask for a lesson if you know it all already? And if you're willing and capable of learning things for yourself why do you object to being advised to do just that?

Honestly - some people!

But thanks for nailing your intellectual colours to the mast in your last post. It saves a lot of time to know that one is talking to a person who dismisses reason and logic as "silly beliefs". Boy have you spared my fingers and keyboard there! I'd been taking you seriously up to then.

MichaelMcF
Science Freak
MichaelMcF's picture
User is offlineOffline
manofmanynames wrote:"Take

manofmanynames wrote:

"Take up your cross, and follow me". The cross is not a idea of having others suffer for us, it's an idea of us suffering for the sake of others. It's an assertion of ones dignity and compassion in midst of even depravity, to turn even the darkest corners of human nature on its head, to redeem it. 

Unless of course you believe, as the Gnostics did, that the act of taking up a cross was a metaphor for the giving up of selfish needs in pursuit of the Logos and acheiving a higher understanding of the universe - much as Plato did.

Forget Jesus, the stars died so that you could be here
- Lawrence Krauss

User is offlineOffline
Nordmann wrote:It saves a

Nordmann wrote:

It saves a lot of time to know that one is talking to a person who dismisses reason and logic as "silly beliefs". 

Smiling

So, let's see you claimed, that my perspective has been damaged by my religion. When I asked you how so, you replied, I'm not telling you, nanana boo boo. 

You requested that I go and learn, and I replied I have learned. I've learned enough to say that the claim that my religion has damaged my perspective is silly, not based on reason and logic, but fairy tale, things you tell yourself to preserve your belief in the superiority of you belief system over others. 

I'm not the one who did a hit run, by having the audacity of accusing my perspective of being damaged by my religion, and then not having the balls to defend and support the claim. When you're ready to actually bring something to the table, something other than baseless allegations let me know. 

Nordmann
atheist
Nordmann's picture
User is offlineOffline
Religion skews perspective

Religion skews perspective because it places an irrational bias against all data the religionist assimilates. The effect varies from religionist to religionist and from datum to datum, but it's unavoidable. How afflicted you are with it is something you really have to work out for yourself as a) I couldn't be bothered guessing from the small bit of stuff I know about you and b) it's the kind of thing one really has to do for oneself anyway - a bit like the alcoholic who cannot begin to be helped until he himself has admitted the problem.

Nordmann
atheist
Nordmann's picture
User is offlineOffline
Whoops - nearly

Whoops - nearly forgot;

Nanana boo boo (I know it only helps to validate your complex but hey, it's your trip man)

User is offlineOffline
Nordmann wrote:Religion

Nordmann wrote:

Religion skews perspective because it places an irrational bias against all data the religionist assimilates.

It's not religion that creates irrational biases, anything that we have an emotional attachment is what creates irrational biases. One's own atheism can be source of his irrationality, if he has an emotional commitment to it. It's why in a court of law we don't permit a judge or a person in jury to be a close friend or relative of the accused, or of the victim of the accused, because we understand that our endearment to such persons, or to ideas, and beliefs leaves it quite difficult to be objective. 

You seem to be speaking of some supposed sort of supremacy of reason, that's been tainted by outside forces such as religion, rather than understanding that what taints reason is the other side of our dichotomy of creatures of self-awareness, and that is our instinctual nature. It's far more easier to believe in the guiltiness of a stranger, than it is in the guiltiness of our own son. It's far easier to evaluate the beliefs of others, than it is our very own. It's much easier to note the irrationality in other human beings, but far more difficult to perceive our own.

In this forum alone, I could find all sorts of instances of irrational biases, in a number of atheist here. Committed Jesus Mythicist generally provide an abundance of such instances, even the more touted ones like Rook Hawkins, who believes, and supports the conclusion that Jesus eating meat on the passover of all days, and Odysseus eating meat on a ship with fellow crewmen, is similarity revealing that the Gospels writers used Odysseus as the model for Jesus, but not only does he believe this but he also claims that all (not even some, or most, but all) critical scholars accept this conclusion as well. To me, such beliefs are the epitome of stupidity

Why does he believe such nonsense? It's not out of astute reasoning, but rather the irrationality that springs from a commitment and loyalty to the Mythicisist position, a position that he devotes his whole life around. 

If you believe the irrationality found among the religious is distinct from what I have just argued is the source, that knows no distinction between religious, non-religious, political, and all sorts of beliefs, I would love to here it, the why you feel this sort of irrationality is to be spoken of as strictly belonging to the religious. I would love to see how you distinguish between the irrationality of atheist such as Rook Hawkins, and the irrationality of lets say a creationist, as distinct and separate psychological phenomena. 

Quote:
The effect varies from religionist to religionist and from datum to datum, but it's unavoidable. How afflicted you are with it is something you really have to work out for yourself as.

Smiling

I have a hunch that this is a sort of committed belief of yours, that you have an emotional interest in believing it as true for whatever reasons that my be. It seems to be the reason why you use terms such as "unavoidable". I mean, how else am I suppose to understand that you accuse my perspective of being damaged because of my religion, based solely on the fact that I said I'm religious. You can't even showcase one example where my perspective has been damaged, but yet you hold to that belief, almost as if it were a blind faith.

Just face the facts Nordman, you may try to dress this up all you like, but the truth is, you have no bases to accuse my perspective of being damaged, you inability to even attempt to back up your claim reveals that. This belief of yours is there only out of faith in your own hypothesis, that creates for you a false belief that I and all other religious individuals have to fit into it. I'd wager that plenty of people on this forum, theist and atheist alike at this point can see this. 

Quote:
It's the kind of thing one really has to do for oneself anyway - a bit like the alcoholic who cannot begin to be helped until he himself has admitted the problem.

It's actually more like a guy who comes in to the local pub and sits at the bar and accuses the stranger who sits next to him of being an alcoholic solely based on the fact that he a had drink in his hand. And when the stranger ask him why he thinks that, the guy tells him, that it's the stranger's job to figure that out on his own. And then claims," that if you drink, it's unavoidable that you're an alcoholic", and storms out the bar in a superman cape. 

User is offlineOffline
Nordmann wrote:Whoops -

Nordmann wrote:

Whoops - nearly forgot;

Nanana boo boo (I know it only helps to validate your complex but hey, it's your trip man)

haha, i guess you do have a sense of humor after all. 

Nordmann
atheist
Nordmann's picture
User is offlineOffline
It does not surprise me that

It does not surprise me that you think your reasoning ability is unaffected by being religious. This is part of the delusion and is therefore a common mistake - so common in fact that it has become something of an elephant in the room, to use an awful analogy which seems to be "in" at the moment.

But you get my drift. Give me two scientific dissertations on the property of matter, one by an atheist and one by someone who has no problem in believing that some guy once nonchalantly turned water into wine before strolling across the waves to greet his pals. Now, which one will I adjudge to be sounder? Well, you know which one. Of course, if I hold the same beliefs as the second scientist I must use different criteria to judge the works in question. See what I mean? Two different approaches, and one in my view damaged by an obligation to suspend reason.

That is not to say that the first guy will necessarily have produced the better work. It could be flawed in other ways. Nor does it mean that the second guy necessarily allowed his silly beliefs to get in the way of his sounder reasoning. Nor is it even to say that my initial judgement as an atheist was entirely sound either. But my judgement as a religionist would be bound to be flawed, and if the flaw mightn't necessarily have too adverse an effect on my well-being there and then, the same flaw could well wreak havoc on it in another situation.

That is the tightrope you have elected to walk. Which is fine by me - as long as you don't try to persuade me that it beats keeping both feet on the ground. Whatever you're into - but it's not my cup of tea (to use even another cliched analogy).

thatonedude
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
manofmanynames wrote:I'm

manofmanynames wrote:

I'm assuming you're expounding on the idea of penal substitution, as if Jesus died on the cross so I wouldn't have to. Which to me is an odd belief, when we take into account what Jesus himself says of the cross: "Take up your cross, and follow me". The cross is not a idea of having others suffer for us, it's an idea of us suffering for the sake of others. It's an assertion of ones dignity and compassion in midst of even depravity, to turn even the darkest corners of human nature on its head, to redeem it.

Your ideas are at odds with your divine book. You are aware of the significance of the "lamb of god" title, right? Do I need to go through the Old Testament with you and show you the system of blood sacrifice set up therein?

And it is abundantly clear in your New Testament that this understanding was preserved:

Mark 10:25 wrote:

For even the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many

1 John 2:2 wrote:

He is the atoning sacrifice for our sins, and not only for ours but also for the sins of the whole world.

Romans 3:25 wrote:

God presented him as a sacrifice of atonement...

Should I go on? There are a lot more quotes I could pull out. Should I start presenting the writings of the church fathers? How about the various councils and their documents? If you are familiar with your scripture, and with the history of Christian thought, then you should be well aware of the fact that the cross is viewed as a sacrificial altar upon which your "lamb of god" was offered as atonement. You are disagreeing with the vast majority of Christians, living and dead, if you are suggesting otherwise. Should I expect a "no true Scotsman" out of you?

Quote:

Well, none of these are a reason for my belief, I never really had a fear of death, and I've been held at gunpoint and shot at on more than one occasion. Nor would any of the strong and meaningful relationships I've developed over the years of my life be fractured if I no longer believed. 

The life I've been given, and witness often leaves me cold, and indifferent. There's a sense of hardening particularly towards others. My poor friends refer to this situation we live in as "the struggle", and this struggle often produces even in them a callous regard for human life, the tendency to act violent just for they sheer joy of acting violently, concerned only with the welfare of a few close friends, but totally unconcerned for the well being of others. Though I'm not at such an extreme, I do share with them a fractured sense of compassion. There have been times that I've had to fake empathy so that I wouldn't appear heartless.

Welcome to reality. People are social animals, but are still driven by a desire for self preservation. This dichotomy will exist as long as wants and needs are not met. Subscribing to the belief in a supernatural reality will do nothing to change it.

Quote:

It's not that I desire to be so indifferent, in fact I desire to be far more compassionate, it's just that my exposure to life has hardened me this way. What's lacking is a conviction, to anchor in my self-conscious desire as an instinctual will. This is the psychological makeup that creates such a need. 

When I found the Gospels in my adult hood, and accepted the meaning and depiction of Jesus Christ, I found the only thing I've ever known that convicts me to love. It grants me a frame of viewing the world, and my actions from the perspective of the cross, that the end result of our indifference and cruelty is Christ crucified, and this image of the one who asserted his dignity and love even to those who inflicted their cruelty on him, leaves the image of the cross as forever haunting, and yet redeeming. 

The cross is affective in that it presents human indifference at it's extreme, and deeply moving in that expresses love at it's extreme as well, as transformative even of the ugly. 

Do you see what you left out there? There is no words like proof, evidence, reason or logic. You instead used words like desire, moving, accepted and convict. Your entire post can be summed up by saying that you were drawn into Christianity for emotional reasons. Yet, somehow, you expect other people to respect your emotions and treat them as if they were logical or empirical proofs.

I find the cross to be vile. I find the subservience demanded by your god to be disgusting. I find the bible to be a worthless pack of lies. See, those are all emotional findings. They carry just as much weight as the fact that you find the cross deeply moving.

thatonedude
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Quote:If you believe the

manofmanynames wrote:

If you believe the irrationality found among the religious is distinct from what I have just argued is the source, that knows no distinction between religious, non-religious, political, and all sorts of beliefs, I would love to here it, the why you feel this sort of irrationality is to be spoken of as strictly belonging to the religious. I would love to see how you distinguish between the irrationality of atheist such as Rook Hawkins, and the irrationality of lets say a creationist, as distinct and separate psychological phenomena.

Irrationality is irrationality. You have supplied nothing but emotions as evidence for your belief. While I don't think there is sufficient evidence to claim that Jesus was entirely myth, the mythicists certainly bring up some good points, and I think that the truth is that there was an individual upon whom this cult was built, and that his followers added elements of existing legends to his story to make it match what they wanted him to be.

manofmanynames wrote:

It's actually more like a guy who comes in to the local pub and sits at the bar and accuses the stranger who sits next to him of being an alcoholic solely based on the fact that he a had drink in his hand. And when the stranger ask him why he thinks that, the guy tells him, that it's the stranger's job to figure that out on his own. And then claims," that if you drink, it's unavoidable that you're an alcoholic", and storms out the bar in a superman cape.

The fact that you offer no empirical evidence for your conversion argues that your ability to reason is flawed at some fundamental level. "It makes me feel good" is a perfectly irrational reason to believe in anything, and any claims past that which are not independently verifiable are immediately suspect. I have noted the correlation of Christian belief to irrationality in an earlier post. Sometimes it's subtle(an acceptance of absurd saint stories with no evidence), sometimes not so subtle(Westboro Baptist church, anyone?).  But I have not found a religion yet, let alone some denomination of Christianity, that doesn't make absurd claims and expect it's followers to simply believe them. 

User is offlineOffline
Nordmann wrote:It does not

Nordmann wrote:

It does not surprise me that you think your reasoning ability is unaffected by being religious. This is part of the delusion and is therefore a common mistake - so common in fact that it has become something of an elephant in the room, to use an awful analogy which seems to be "in" at the moment.

No, I don't find myself to be above human nature, I'm sure I have my biases, that I'd have a bias in evaluating the guilt of person I love, over the guilt of stranger. But for me, a very keen sense of self-awareness often leaves such biases at bay, that keeps me constantly doubting and skeptical even of positions i hold dearly. I have the tendency to shake when i find my self treading on thin ice. Even as a theist, I'm quite aware that there's very real and persuasive case for disbelief, far more compelling than what the God delusion lets on. I may not find it persuasive enough for me to be an atheist, but i don't rule out the fact that in can be more persuasive in the future. 

But I sincerely enjoy it when people point out my biases, and often times when they present it, I find that they were actually correct, and that I must have missed it before. But your blind assertions of bias don't really get too far with me. They just leave me and others evaluating your post puzzled. If you believe I have a bias based solely on being religious, I suggest you attempt to probe and find it, or else just admit that you're not too sure if i have one or not. A sense of intellectual honesty demands that much.

Quote:
But you get my drift. Give me two scientific dissertations on the property of matter, one by an atheist and one by someone who has no problem in believing that some guy once nonchalantly turned water into wine before strolling across the waves to greet his pals. Now, which one will I adjudge to be sounder? Well, you know which one. Of course, if I hold the same beliefs as the second scientist I must use different criteria to judge the works in question. See what I mean? Two different approaches, and one in my view damaged by an obligation to suspend reason.

What you present here is confirmation bias. As Tolstoy would put it: 

"I know that most men, including those at ease with problems of the greatest complexity, can seldom accept the simplest and most obvious truth if it be such as would oblige them to admit the falsity of conclusions which they have proudly taught to others, and which they have woven, thread by thread, into the fabrics of their life".

And i still don't get why you continue to speak of such psychological  phenomena as exclusively religious? The example can just as well be replaced with a Jesus Mythicist, and an nonbeliever such as Bart Ehrman analyzing history. Or a 9/11 truther and the engineers who built the twin tower analyzing what happened. Atheist are no less prone to hold such deeply woven beliefs, as theist are, this forum alone speaks volumes for that.

And you still have yet to make a case for why you believe this sort of phenomenon to be distinctly a religious one? Or why you treat a common psychological phenomena as immune to atheist, or even any less commonly found in them than theist. 

And more importantly I'm curious as to why your believe that I suffer from this same dilemma, though you don't even have a single instance in anything I've claimed to showcase this, no single trace of data in support of this belief, and yet you hold it, almost fervently. Why do you find it so difficult to accept that perhaps I don't have such irrationalities, at least no more than you? Is this a possible example of confirmation bias in you? 

Nordmann
atheist
Nordmann's picture
User is offlineOffline
Nowt wrong wi' a little

Nowt wrong wi' a little confirmation bias, as they say in Yorkshire. But yes, you're right. Of course I am biased in citing confirmation for my assertion that your reasoning is prone to a flaw. I do not mean to impute that I am free of flaws either, but in my defence I will point out that I am employing the bias to emphasise a flawed facet of your rationality which the flaw itself leaves you blind to, even though - as your Tolstoy quote shows - you are fully aware of both its presence and its effect. You just don't associate it with religion and your own reasoning. In fact you flatly deny that it has any.

And nor (I hope) did I ever mean to infer that atheism produces completely clear thinkers devoid of bias or even stupidity in their views. That itself would be rather stupid, not to say as biased a comment as to label its speaker devoid of recognising fact at all.

Where religion counts however is in that it guarantees to introduce the flaw, and as long as one adheres to the absurd beliefs in which it shrouds its (sometimes admittedly laudable) philosophies then it will impede rather than enhance one's ability to think logically. It is a testament to the mental agility of people that many succeed admirably in restricting the damage, but I can't help but feel that the world, and humanity, would be a lot better off if such intellect and agility were employed to more productive ends.

thatonedude
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
manofmanynames wrote:No, I

manofmanynames wrote:

No, I don't find myself to be above human nature, I'm sure I have my biases, that I'd have a bias in evaluating the guilt of person I love, over the guilt of stranger. But for me, a very keen sense of self-awareness often leaves such biases at bay, that keeps me constantly doubting and skeptical even of positions i hold dearly. I have the tendency to shake when i find my self treading on thin ice. Even as a theist, I'm quite aware that there's very real and persuasive case for disbelief, far more compelling than what the God delusion lets on. I may not find it persuasive enough for me to be an atheist, but i don't rule out the fact that in can be more persuasive in the future. 

That is a laudable, and rare, position for a theist to take, and I applaud you for it. Sincerely.

Quote:

But I sincerely enjoy it when people point out my biases, and often times when they present it, I find that they were actually correct, and that I must have missed it before. But your blind assertions of bias don't really get too far with me. They just leave me and others evaluating your post puzzled. If you believe I have a bias based solely on being religious, I suggest you attempt to probe and find it, or else just admit that you're not too sure if i have one or not. A sense of intellectual honesty demands that much.

I would characterize it as less of a bias and more of a blind spot. The moment you accept one piece of evidence on faith, you have set a precedent for everything else. Once it acceptable in one realm of thought, it becomes an option elsewhere.

Quote:

What you present here is confirmation bias. As Tolstoy would put it: 

"I know that most men, including those at ease with problems of the greatest complexity, can seldom accept the simplest and most obvious truth if it be such as would oblige them to admit the falsity of conclusions which they have proudly taught to others, and which they have woven, thread by thread, into the fabrics of their life".

And i still don't get why you continue to speak of such psychological  phenomena as exclusively religious? The example can just as well be replaced with a Jesus Mythicist, and an nonbeliever such as Bart Ehrman analyzing history. Or a 9/11 truther and the engineers who built the twin tower analyzing what happened. Atheist are no less prone to hold such deeply woven beliefs, as theist are, this forum alone speaks volumes for that.

Indeed. And you will see those ideas attacked. We have oddball people here who claim not to believe in a god, yet hold some wacky ideas about new age concepts. We have liberals, conservatives and radicals. This forum is largely a free for all. There is no guiding principal in terms of belief, aside from a rejection of theism. Some have good reasons for that, some are reacting emotionally to trauma stemming from theism, some are just here on a lark to tweak people.

Quote:

And you still have yet to make a case for why you believe this sort of phenomenon to be distinctly a religious one? Or why you treat a common psychological phenomena as immune to atheist, or even any less commonly found in them than theist. 

It is not, and we are not.

Quote:

And more importantly I'm curious as to why your believe that I suffer from this same dilemma, though you don't even have a single instance in anything I've claimed to showcase this, no single trace of data in support of this belief, and yet you hold it, almost fervently. Why do you find it so difficult to accept that perhaps I don't have such irrationalities, at least no more than you? Is this a possible example of confirmation bias in you? 

You have stated that you are a Christian. By that admission, you are piling yourself up with a lot of irrational baggage. It's simply part of the religion. If you wish to distinguish your beliefs from those of the general Christian population, feel free to start by grounding your conversion and beliefs in something other than emotional appeals.

User is offlineOffline
thatonedude wrote:Your ideas

thatonedude wrote:

Your ideas are at odds with your divine book. You are aware of the significance of the "lamb of god" title, right? Do I need to go through the Old Testament with you and show you the system of blood sacrifice set up therein?

And if you read Isaiah the most vital old testament text for the Gospels, where blood only has a symbolic quality, where the prophet shuns those who practice animal sacrifices believing there's a sort of power and significance in the act itself:

"What care I for the number of your sacrifices? says the LORD. I have had enough of whole-burnt rams and fat of fatlings; In the blood of calves, lambs and goats I find no pleasure.[...]

and then Isaiah goes on to explain exactly what God wants to cleanse sins: "Wash yourselves clean! Put away your misdeeds from before my eyes; cease doing evil; learn to do good. Make justice your aim: redress the wronged, hear the orphan's plea, defend the widow. Come now, let us set things right, says the LORD: Though your sins be like scarlet, they may become white as snow; Though they be crimson red, they may become white as wool (Isaiah 1)."

(notice what Isaiah claims sets thing right, and forgives sin)

You find this view quite central in the teachings of Jesus, who arrives on the scene in one of the gospels reading from the Isaiah text. He scolds the Pharisees for the relevance and exacting demands they afford the rituals act, what people eat, if they wash their hands, work on the sabbath, rather than what really matters, the renewal of one's heart. I mean it would take a stretch to assume that the God who rebukes the traditions of the Pharisees, the dedication and demands of abiding by literal practices of ritual, to portray his own death as no more than a mere act of ritual itself, as if the God who finds no pleasure in blood, all of a sudden finds it. 

Quote:
And it is abundantly clear in your New Testament that this understanding was preserved.

It's abundantly clear that it isn't, but you can decide whose exegesis is more faithful and sound to the text, yours or mine. 

Mark 10:25 wrote:

For even the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many

He is the atoning sacrifice for our sins, and not only for ours but also for the sins of the whole world.

God presented him as a sacrifice of atonement...

Well, I whole heartily believe that death of Jesus Christ was an atoning act, what I don't believe, is the penal substitution view that the act of atoning is solely reserved for Jesus Christ, but rather that it is also reserved for all those that follow him, that are his image bearers. The idea that we are also the light of this world, made evident by our love.  Jesus atoning action is not by possessing  some sort of magic blood, but rather by his commitment to love, even unto his own death. Only love renews the heart. 

Penal substitution is not the view of Gospels, or the Epistles, their own views are more consistently and accurately aligned with "The Moral Influence View of Atonement", a notion that dates back to the early church fathers, such as Augustine, and Clement. 

In the Epistles, Paul constantly emphasizes the power of atonement in believers, to follow in the foot steps of Christ, to the cross. The writers and the gospels treat the cross as an act believers are to repeat, not with a different sort of affect than Christ's own sacrifice, but rather as image bearers of that, atoning no differently. 

"Consider your own calling, brothers. Not many of you were wise by human standards, not many were powerful, not many were of noble birth.
Rather, God chose the foolish of the world to shame the wise, and God chose the weak of the world to shame the strong, and God chose the lowly and despised of the world, those who count for nothing, to reduce to nothing those who are something."

This is what Christ himself done, and is the calling for all those who are to follow him. Paul affords to believers the ability to bring sin to its knees, to commit themselves to the atoning act of Christ. 

Quote:
Should I go on?

Should I expect a "no true Scotsman" out of you?

No, all you can expect from me is to present a far more accurate and faithful hermeneutic of the new testament text. If you believe I fail to do so, and still accept the penal substitution view as more accurate, you let me know. 

Quote:

Do you see what you left out there? There is no words like proof, evidence, reason or logic. You instead used words like desire, moving, accepted and convict. Your entire post can be summed up by saying that you were drawn into Christianity for emotional reasons. Yet, somehow, you expect other people to respect your emotions and treat them as if they were logical or empirical proofs.

Well, I think atheist have a tendency to downplay a fundamental component of human nature, our instinctual drives, though we have the capability to reason, our emotions can run without it. Often times what many atheist, particularly  those who praise secular humanism, and hold a faith in pure reasoning, is that they hold a belief, that modern findings in science reject.  We behave morally and immorally out of instinctual desire to do so, and we may try to justify these acts by using reason to explain them, but in this process what happens is that people tend to confuse what's subservient to whom. Secular worldview often tend to convey far more power to self-awareness that it actually has.

Two people can have a discussion of what they feel to be moral and immoral, and collaborate and write a list of rules for moral living, putting the power of reason to use. But when facing actual moral dilemmas and conflict, all that that shit goes out the window, because without conviction we can't behave as morally as our self aware state may desire to. 

This is the area of my life, most important and vital to me, to feel convicted, to love over my indifference. And I have already expressed why I find Jesus Christ to be the ultimate source of conviction for me. And I can only use, reason, science and etc.. to analyze and articulate why I feel this way. I find something deeply moving and profound in this expression, a treasure one would give his whole life for, led to it by Jesus Christ. Who at least in my life, is the Way, the Truth, and the Life. The Gospels writers and the early followers of Jesus called him God because of this, and so do I.

Quote:
Yet, somehow, you expect other people to respect your emotions and treat them as if they were logical or empirical proofs.

Well, I'm sorry to offend you, I really don't care if some person on the RRS forum respects me, I don't really pursue the popularity contest. Yet in life I find myself being greatly respected, more so than I could ever ask, by people of all walks of life. But I suggest that people don't assume, that what I have to say, is to win yours or anyone else's respect or validation. 

Secondly in no way shape of form, have I made even the slightest effort to win you or anyone else over to a God belief. Or asked anyone to treat the reasons for why I believe as empirical proof for God's existence. Someone had asked why I believe, and I explained exactly why, which I feel I've done with a great deal of precision, and reflection void of logical hiccups. 

Some people here believe that I need to have empirical proof to hold a God belief, but if I had it, I wouldn't even know what to do with it. I wouldn't be sure what sort of relevance this "proof" is to have. The empowering nature of Jesus Christ, and endearment of the gospel vision is more than enough of a reason for me to believe. 

Quote:
I find the cross to be vile.

I'm sure I would to, if I believed it to be an expression of penal substitution. And I sure don't find the modern day expressions of it, such as the heart of the civil rights movement, to be vile at all. 

Quote:
I find the subservience demanded by your god to be disgusting.

Well, judging that servitude to God, is in application, servitude to others, a dedication to poor and disenfranchised. In one of the parables, God claims he does not know those who didn't tend to the least, that the act of not tending to them, was the act of not tending to him. And then claims that only in tending to the least, do they tend to him. 

Quote:
I find the bible to be a worthless pack of lies.

Well, good for you. 

Quote:
See, those are all emotional findings. They carry just as much weight as the fact that you find the cross deeply moving.

Well, even these sort of emotional findings aren't worthless, we can trace all sorts of things from em, such as the underpinning of the hostility towards the text, if it's based on the text itself, or as a reaction to the offensive behavior you find in some believers.  Or if these emotional finding are based on an accurate interpretation or misconceptions of the text.

I'd wager that your hostility and my fondness of the text are based on two diverging interpretations of the material, and if I did share your view I might just as well be hostile too. And the question that matters here is which of our interpretations is more accurate, and faithful to the time, situation and psychology of the people. 

OrdinaryClay
Theist
User is offlineOffline
pauljohntheskeptic

pauljohntheskeptic wrote:

OrdinaryClay wrote:

All laws against atheists holding office were ruled unconstitutional and unenforceable by the 1961 [US] Supreme Court case Torcaso v. Watkins on a first amendment basis.

Discrimination whether by skin color or by belief is wrong. 

So there is no belief system you would discriminate against. That is absurd.

OrdinaryClay
Theist
User is offlineOffline
ProzacDeathWish

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

Actually, I wasn't attempting to project any victim status in refernce to any existing laws.  ( Anyway, now that I am no longer religious being a martyr doesn't have the same appeal to me as it once did. )  Thankfully those laws are now irrelevent.  I was simply trying to illustrate the remarkable lengths that some religious minded legislators were willing to go to in order to prevent political access.  That's all.

Secular minded folks go to great lengths to prevent political access.

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

At any rate my personal observations were in reference to experiencing a sort of ingrained cultural prejudice against persons with no religious beliefs and that this sometime manifests itself in relationships with my peers.  Even so, I make no effort to play it up as an issue.  It is what it is and humans will always disagree with each other.  As long as no one tries to burn me at the stake or otherwise abuse me I don't see the need to make a stand if you know what I mean.

There is an ingrained prejudice against Christians amongst many atheists.

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

Regarding divine punishment and what Jesus said; lol, well of course, ....those kinds of vengeful pronouncements are perfectly consistent with the scriptural image of Jesus.  In fact I find no contradiction at all.  Ultimately that's what it's all about; worship and obey me or I'll burn you alive.  Nothing complicated about it.

If you were a Christian you know there is more to it then that. You know the Gospels teach a much deeper Christ then this.