Genetic Engineering

Tapey
atheist
Tapey's picture
User is offlineOffline
Genetic Engineering

Just out of curiosity what do you guys think of it? Good, Bad, indifferent? Any particular reasons?

If you don't know much about it here is a very nice beginer's guide on the subject

http://www.ifgene.org/beginner.htm

Here is a introduction to transgenic crops, also quite good

http://cls.casa.colostate.edu/TransgenicCrops/

Whatever goes upon two legs is an enemy.
Whatever goes upon four legs, or has wings, is a friend.
No animal shall wear clothes.
No animal shall sleep in a bed.
No animal shall drink alcohol.
No animal shall kill any other animal.
All animals are equal.

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
It could be good or

It could be good or bad.

Genetically altering wheat, so you can grow more on less land with less resources is good.

Creating a super army of giant crabs for world domination is bad.

JillSwift
Superfan
JillSwift's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple wrote:Creating

Cpt_pineapple wrote:
*shakes fist*

DON'T JUDGE ME!

"Anyone can repress a woman, but you need 'dictated' scriptures to feel you're really right in repressing her. In the same way, homophobes thrive everywhere. But you must feel you've got scripture on your side to come up with the tedious 'Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve' style arguments instead of just recognising that some people are different." - Douglas Murray

Stosis
User is offlineOffline
JillSwift

JillSwift wrote:

Cpt_pineapple wrote:
*shakes fist*

DON'T JUDGE ME!

Exactly, besides who ever said world domination by a gian army of super crabs would be a bad things?

On the topic of genetic modification, I am all for research. Food, I'm not so sure. Its almost impossible to find reliable information since there always seems to be someone who gives a health concern against it and not many knowledgeable people are taking the time to refute them.

Tapey
atheist
Tapey's picture
User is offlineOffline
Stosis wrote:JillSwift

Stosis wrote:

JillSwift wrote:

Cpt_pineapple wrote:
*shakes fist*

DON'T JUDGE ME!

Exactly, besides who ever said world domination by a gian army of super crabs would be a bad things?

On the topic of genetic modification, I am all for research. Food, I'm not so sure. Its almost impossible to find reliable information since there always seems to be someone who gives a health concern against it and not many knowledgeable people are taking the time to refute them.

Take a look at the links I posted, particularly the beginners guide, it is extremely unbiased. There is a table on all the pros and cons witch is very helpfull. To me all the cons can be worked around. 

Whatever goes upon two legs is an enemy.
Whatever goes upon four legs, or has wings, is a friend.
No animal shall wear clothes.
No animal shall sleep in a bed.
No animal shall drink alcohol.
No animal shall kill any other animal.
All animals are equal.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Tapey wrote: Just out of

Tapey wrote:

Just out of curiosity what do you guys think of it? Good, Bad, indifferent? Any particular reasons?

Only one word pops to mind: Inevitable.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

hazindu
Superfan
hazindu's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'd like to have a son with

I'd like to have a son with the IQ of Einstein and the physique of the Incredible Hulk only with purple instead of green skin.  Of course such a person would need a lot of food...

"I've yet to witness circumstance successfully manipulated through the babbling of ritualistic nonsense to an imaginary deity." -- me (josh)

If god can do anything, can he make a hot dog so big even he can't eat all of it?

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
Tapey wrote: Just out of

Tapey wrote:

I would say "not particularly helpful". Note that most seed companies are now owned by Monsanto or a subsidiary, and Monsanto is the only corporation I've ever called "evil", categorically. Terminator technology is easily the worst and most malicious idea ever to be devised by a human mind, and monoculture is both unstable and unsustainable. Nuclear weapons would be #2 on that list, seeing as they were simply an extension of attempting to build a bigger fire. That, I can rationalize. Interrupting the life cycle of an already ecologically-challenged monoculture is pure insanity.

Furthermore, genetic modification of plants hasn't produced the kinds of yields it was supposed to, and in certain cases, has actually decreased the viability of certain plants. The whole "we're making more food to feed the hungry" line is total crap. They have intellectual property that does stuff, and they make money off of it.

Saint Will: no gyration without funkstification.
fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Furthermore, genetic

Quote:
Furthermore, genetic modification of plants hasn't produced the kinds of yields it was supposed to, and in certain cases, has actually decreased the viability of certain plants. The whole "we're making more food to feed the hungry" line is total crap. They have intellectual property that does stuff, and they make money off of it.

well, in fairness, Bt Corn is slightly ahead of regular corn.

But, yeah. I agree on most other points.

Monoculture agriculture is the underlying culprit, though. It was a bad idea to begin with. Any future problems are just thegoober cherries atop the shit sunday, as it were.

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

- Leon Trotsky, Last Will & Testament
February 27, 1940