Answers in Genesis Ad

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Answers in Genesis Ad

ADAPT AGAINST THIS YOU DOUCHEWAD ATHEISTS!!!!

Seriously, this is fucked-up. This ad is telling kids to fucking shoot people who don't believe in God in the face. There is no alternative interpretation.

And this coming right fucking after Tony of YouTube fame blows away a schoolmate with a shotgun.

EDIT: Props, once again, go to Mr804 for the link

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

- Leon Trotsky, Last Will & Testament
February 27, 1940

mr804
Special AgentSuperfan
mr804's picture
User is offlineOffline
Shady's back?!

Shady's back?!

Renee Obsidianwords
High Level DonorModeratorRRS local affiliate
Renee Obsidianwords's picture
User is offlineOffline
What kind of fucked up

What kind of fucked up douchebag would make such a video? And to say  :  " If you don't matter to god..."  I thought we were all gods children?

Although he is apparently a  spiteful, vengeful , jealous god so I guess that makes sense.

Slowly building a blog at ~

http://obsidianwords.wordpress.com/

Renee Obsidianwords
High Level DonorModeratorRRS local affiliate
Renee Obsidianwords's picture
User is offlineOffline
OH and one more thing.

OH and one more thing. Someone needs to remake this video with a young kid from Iraq with a gun...see how that fucking makes people feel.

Slowly building a blog at ~

http://obsidianwords.wordpress.com/

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
mr804 wrote:Shady's

mr804 wrote:

Shady's back?!

Back again.

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
What. The fuck. Was that?I

What. The fuck. Was that?

I just laughed at how insane that was. These people are nuts!

wkirby
User is offlineOffline
Wow. That's... wow.Mr.

Wow. That's... wow.

Mr. Answersingenesis, explain to me again the concept of 'turn the other cheek'. How about do unto others?

That's right, I remember now, in the 10 commandments it clearly states, though shalt not kill - unless you're hunting atheists.

Why can't people accept that Atheism is by definition no faith? I don't believe in Atheism, I simply am Atheist.

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
WTF? The person that made

WTF? The person that made this ad must be a complete idiot. I don't think this will improve their image. 

HisWillness wrote:

mr804 wrote:

Shady's back?!

Back again.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

scole665
User is offlineOffline
I guess I didn't get it

Was the kid the person who DIDN'T believe in god... as in if you don't matter to god you'll kill willy nilly? Or was the kid the god lover and shooting ME, the atheist? The whole thing just didn't compute in my head.  I may have taken too much cold medicine!

god -- I tried you on for size.... you were a little long in the crotch, loose in the waist, short in the length and you made my butt look extra flat. I had to take you back for an exchange.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hmm. This is a level of

Hmm. This is a level of stupidity I cannot sink to in order to effectively combat. I'll just have to kill the assholes if I see them. Slowly.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

spike.barnett
Superfan
spike.barnett's picture
User is offlineOffline
WTF!? In what world is this

WTF!? In what world is this anything less than hate speech? Don't we have laws for that shit?

mrjonno
User is offlineOffline
In my 31 years taking the

In my 31 years taking the piss out of religion (I'm 36 and I reckon I started around 5) that realy has to be the strangest video I've ever seen.

Is it saying the god squad will kill all atheists?

or

If you are an atheist then you like guns and shooting people?

or

It's good that kids have guns?

It's bad that kids have guns?

America has too relaxed/strict gun laws?

It's just one bad acid trip that advert

wkirby
User is offlineOffline
mrjonno wrote:In my 31 years

mrjonno wrote:

In my 31 years taking the piss out of religion (I'm 36 and I reckon I started around 5) that realy has to be the strangest video I've ever seen.

Is it saying the god squad will kill all atheists?

or

If you are an atheist then you like guns and shooting people?

or

It's good that kids have guns?

It's bad that kids have guns?

America has too relaxed/strict gun laws?

It's just one bad acid trip that advert

The ambiguity of this vision is exactly why it's so dangerous. It can easily be interpreted as "Atheists are "not worthy of God" and therefore it's OK to shoot them". It could also be easily interpreted as a call to arms for fundamentalist youth. This in itself is an interesting parallel with Islamic Fundamentalists and their desire for the introduction of Sharia law.

My more paranoid side says that the vagueness is very well thought out and very deliberate. If some nut job (or in fact many nut jobs) do see it as a call to arms and start wandering around with a six-shooter giving those dang Atheists their just deserts, the Genesis people can easily pull out the ceremonial water bowl (Pontious Pilot style) and was their hands clean.

This vision is without doubt the most inflammatory and abhorrent I have ever seen because of it's subtlety.

Why can't people accept that Atheism is by definition no faith? I don't believe in Atheism, I simply am Atheist.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
It just occurred to me that

It just occurred to me that this video is about as ambiguous as the bible itself. Coincidence?

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Looks to me like they're

Looks to me like they're saying that without God, children will go around killing everybody they see.

I wonder why that doesn't happen in Japan... they have like ten murders a year in the whole damn country, and their religion has no God.

It doesn't look to me like it's telling children to shoot people who don't believe in God, but then, I'm not deranged, so I can't tell what a deranged person might think.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

wkirby
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote:It doesn't

Hambydammit wrote:

It doesn't look to me like it's telling children to shoot people who don't believe in God, but then, I'm not deranged, so I can't tell what a deranged person might think.

Hmmm, seems you've just confirmed I'm deranged. Oh well.

Incidentally, Japan has some of the world's strictest gun laws - coincidence?

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Quote:Hmmm, seems you've

Quote:
Hmmm, seems you've just confirmed I'm deranged. Oh well.

Heh... well, that wasn't my intent.  I didn't mean to say that only a deranged person could think that.  I was just saying that I have no frame of reference to guess what a deranged person might think.  Presumably, we're only worried about the people who might actually do something like kill atheists, right?  That would be a deranged person.

Quote:

Certainly not.  I'm not talking about just gun violence, though.  They don't have many knifings in Japan, either.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

wkirby
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit

Hambydammit wrote:

Quote:

Certainly not.  I'm not talking about just gun violence, though.  They don't have many knifings in Japan, either.

Oh they have plenty of knifings - it's just that not all of them are fatal. How many Yakuza have you seen with all of their fingers?

You may also be interested in this ranking http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cri_mur-crime-murders. It would be interesting to cross reference that with population and also % of population claiming religious allegiance... I'll see if i can work it out and get back to you Smiling

wkirby
User is offlineOffline
This is probably the wrong

This is probably the wrong place to do this, maybe it should be a new thread but...

Highest Murder rates per capita and their religious tendencies

Colombia - Roman Catholic 90%, other 10% 
Sth. Africa - Zion Christian 11.1%, Pentecostal/Charismatic 8.2%, Catholic 7.1%, Methodist 6.8%, Dutch Reformed 6.7%, Anglican 3.8%, Muslim 1.5%, other Christian 36%, other 2.3%, unspecified 1.4%, none 15.1% (2001 census)
Jamaica - Protestant 62.5% (Seventh-Day Adventist 10.8%, Pentecostal 9.5%, Other Church of God 8.3%, Baptist 7.2%, New Testament Church of God 6.3%, Church of God in Jamaica 4.8%, Church of God of Prophecy 4.3%, Anglican 3.6%, other Christian 7.7%), Roman Catholic 2.6%, other or unspecified 14.2%, none 20.9%, (2001 census)
Venezuela - nominally Roman Catholic 96%, Protestant 2%, other 2%
Russia - Russian Orthodox 15-20%, Muslim 10-15%, other Christian 2% (2006 est.) note: estimates are of practicing worshipers; Russia has large populations of non-practicing believers and non-believers, a legacy of over seven decades of Soviet rule

Lowest 5 per capita

Greece - Greek Orthodox 98%, Muslim 1.3%, other 0.7%
Hong Kong - eclectic mixture of local religions 90%, Christian 10%
Japan - observe both Shinto and Buddhist 84%, other 16% (including Christian 0.7%)
Saudi Arabia - Muslim 100%
Qatar - Muslim 77.5%, Christian 8.5%, other 14% (2004 census)

Based on these numbers, it seems no parallels can be drawn between the number of the faithful and the number of murders. Nor it seems rates of literacy or quality of education. There is perhaps a slight bias for poorer nations to rank higher.

(sources - http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cri_mur_percap-crime-murders-per-capita for ranking, https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/fields/2122.html for religious bias)

Not_Your_Therapist
atheist
Not_Your_Therapist's picture
User is offlineOffline
I think they are trying to

I think they are trying to say that if you don't matter to god (I.E. if you think there is no god) then your life does not have meaning and it does not really matter if a kid comes along and shoots you.

Or does it mean that if you don't believe in god, you might decide that other people don't matter?

Your resident OTD/S, Christina
A good scientist will always change her mind if new evidence is presented which gives her sufficient reason to change it.
www.ziztur.com

lokipro
lokipro's picture
User is offlineOffline
I wonder if Answers in

I wonder if Answers in Genesis wrote this or someone else, because I find it HILARIOUS:

"Answers in Genesis is an apologetics (i.e., Christianity-defending) ministry, dedicated to enabling Christians to defend their faith and to proclaim the gospel of Jesus Christ effectively"

Italics mine.

DamnDirtyApe
Silver Member
DamnDirtyApe's picture
User is offlineOffline
Not_Your_Therapist wrote:I

Not_Your_Therapist wrote:

I think they are trying to say that if you don't matter to god (I.E. if you think there is no god) then your life does not have meaning and it does not really matter if a kid comes along and shoots you.

Or does it mean that if you don't believe in god, you might decide that other people don't matter?

It's definitely the latter.  I guess it was a couple weeks ago I was trying to get that concept across and kept having brain farts trying to put it succinctly, so I just gave up.  Excusing the impropriety of the pun, AiG would never (intentionally) give us the ammunition that the first interpretation implies.  

"The whole conception of God is a conception derived from ancient Oriental despotisms. It is a conception quite unworthy of free men."
--Bertrand Russell