Internet Addiction

Ken G.
User is offlineOffline
Internet Addiction

There's a good show on PBS tonight 9:00 pm  Frontline/World, a segment about Internet Addiction,if you miss it tonight,it'll be on Tuesday and Wednesday.

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
Can't see it. Every night is

Can't see it. Every night is already set aside to be online.

Ken G.
User is offlineOffline
Watch it online

I'm not sure, but I think that it can be seen on Frontline/World.org . The most wired place in the world/South Korea

Signature ? How ?

JillSwift
Superfan
JillSwift's picture
User is offlineOffline
I am not addicted. I can

I am not addicted. I can quit any time I want. In fact, I quit no less than four times yesterday alone.

"Anyone can repress a woman, but you need 'dictated' scriptures to feel you're really right in repressing her. In the same way, homophobes thrive everywhere. But you must feel you've got scripture on your side to come up with the tedious 'Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve' style arguments instead of just recognising that some people are different." - Douglas Murray

The Doomed Soul
atheist
The Doomed Soul's picture
User is offlineOffline
Im so addicted, i gave up

Im so addicted, i gave up other addictions just to feed this one! >.<

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
...Is being an internet

...Is being an internet addict at all similar to being an Androidaholic? Sticking out tongue

Seriously, there is no such thing as 'internet addiction'. Your body cannot become chemically dependent on typing on your keyboard and clicking your mouse. 'Addiction' is increasingly becoming another one of those nasty-sounding words used to demonize an activity or demographic without having to present a valid argument.

Y'know what every human being on Earth is chemically addicted to? Water. Yet I don't see this made a huge issue of.

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

- Leon Trotsky, Last Will & Testament
February 27, 1940

Ken G.
User is offlineOffline
JillSwift wrote that

she or he's not addicted,good for you ,keep telling yourself that and maybe it will come true. LOL

Signature ? How ?

JillSwift
Superfan
JillSwift's picture
User is offlineOffline
Kevin R Brown wrote:...Is

Kevin R Brown wrote:

...Is being an internet addict at all similar to being an Androidaholic? Sticking out tongue

Seriously, there is no such thing as 'internet addiction'. Your body cannot become chemically dependent on typing on your keyboard and clicking your mouse. 'Addiction' is increasingly becoming another one of those nasty-sounding words used to demonize an activity or demographic without having to present a valid argument.

Y'know what every human being on Earth is chemically addicted to? Water. Yet I don't see this made a huge issue of.

There is also habituated (sometimes called emotional) addiction, Kev. It's often linked with clinical depression in humans.

In the end, an addiction is a behavior that isn't (or is not easily) able to be changed by the subject, often because the behavior brings significant reward in the eyes of the subject so that there is no interest in changing that behavior. See: Rats electrically stimulating their pleasure centers by pressing a little lever while slowly starving to death. In those studies, the rats, once habituated, will stomp those levers even when they no longer get the stimulation.

"Anyone can repress a woman, but you need 'dictated' scriptures to feel you're really right in repressing her. In the same way, homophobes thrive everywhere. But you must feel you've got scripture on your side to come up with the tedious 'Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve' style arguments instead of just recognising that some people are different." - Douglas Murray

Ken G.
User is offlineOffline
I Disagree Kev,

on the show it clearly shows you exactly just what being addicted to the keyboards has done to teens in South Korea,these kids are up all night neglecting their school work,and their family's. Neglecting ones self or one's family is what an addiction does,it distracts you from the important thing's in life. 

Signature ? How ?

Ken G.
User is offlineOffline
Good point Jill

the Rat test is a great example. 

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
I'll wait until it's on

I'll wait until it's on Youtube

The Doomed Soul
atheist
The Doomed Soul's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ken G. wrote:Neglecting ones

Ken G. wrote:

Neglecting ones self or one's family is what an addiction does,it distracts you from the important thing's in life. 

Assuming ones self and family is what one considers important in life >.>

What Would Kharn Do?

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:on the show it clearly

Quote:
on the show it clearly shows you exactly just what being addicted to the keyboards has done to teens in South Korea,these kids are up all night neglecting their school work,and their family's. Neglecting ones self or one's family is what an addiction does,it distracts you from the important thing's in life.

...I suppose the consideration that perhaps an era of instant communication between people might mean something new for the concept of 'family' is a moot point, somehow?

You'll have to forgive me if I find the complaints that people 'waste so much time on their computers these days' is absurd. Life is about wasting time. That's what we do. We waste time, as much of it as we possibly can, before our time is up.

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

February 27, 1940

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:In the end, an

Quote:
In the end, an addiction is a behavior that isn't (or is not easily) able to be changed by the subject, often because the behavior brings significant reward in the eyes of the subject so that there is no interest in changing that behavior.

Right. So, water is addictive: I cannot stop drinking water, as the reward (remaining alive) is significant enough that I do not wish to modify my behavior. Sticking out tongue

I know that's a tad flippant, but seriously - demonstrating addiction alone isn't particularly noteworthy. You'd have to demonstrate that the addiction causes problems before I'd be terribly concerned.

Quote:

February 27, 1940

Ken G.
User is offlineOffline
The Doomed Soul wrote that if you assume. Well,I do

assume one's self very important in life,cause if you don't take care of yourself,you can't take care of whatever else is important to you,whether its your family or a pet that you LOVE  

Signature ? How ?

JillSwift
Superfan
JillSwift's picture
User is offlineOffline
Kevin R Brown wrote:Right.

Kevin R Brown wrote:
Right. So, water is addictive: I cannot stop drinking water, as the reward (remaining alive) is significant enough that I do not wish to modify my behavior. :P
I know you're just being flip, but for those not in the know: That example falls, as an addiction must also be a behavior not directly related to survival.

Kevin R Brown wrote:
I know that's a tad flippant, but seriously - demonstrating addiction alone isn't particularly noteworthy. You'd have to demonstrate that the addiction causes problems before I'd be terribly concerned.
No argument here.

Which will no doubt (ok, there's some doubt) be covered in the program - as it is covered in the various papers on this subject. No addiction is worth worry unless it brings repercussions that reduce the ability of the subject to live a fulfilling life.

Addiction != problem.

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:I know you're just

Quote:
I know you're just being flip, but for those not in the know: That example falls, as an addiction must also be a behavior not directly related to survival.

Oh, I actually didn't know that.

Thanks, Jill.

Quote:

February 27, 1940

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
(No subject)

Ken G.
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple-that was funny

I really dig "The Onion News" they do excellent parodies of the real news,and we all know how much of a downer the news can be. PS. I have never even played a computer game,I can hardly even use the computer,or know all the lingo that I see on the boards.

Signature ? How ?

Fanas
User is offlineOffline
My life would be a waste of

My life would be a waste of time if not for the internet, it's the greatest invention in the history of humankind. Only if I could hook up my brains to the computer, that would be great. I need some kind of device to make interactions with computer even easier. Smiling

I don't see anything bad with being constantly online Smiling Constant flow of information via the means of internet is critical for my survival Smiling

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
The Doomed Soul wrote:Im so

The Doomed Soul wrote:

Im so addicted, i gave up other addictions just to feed this one! >.<

ROTF

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

That was awesome. Laughing out loud

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.