Contrarian positions on gay/lesbian

A_Nony_Mouse
atheist
A_Nony_Mouse's picture
User is offlineOffline
Contrarian positions on gay/lesbian

I observe men are more likely to condemn homosexuality than women.

The male/female birth ratio is such that in the teens there are an equal number of each which is perhaps the best indicator of at least multi-year monogamy being the norm for our species.

Be that as it may the ratio of gay men to lesbian woman is on the order of 6:1. Studies vary and all are questionable because they rarely properly define the subject or permit bisexual as a third alternative. Be that as it may.

There are significantly more gay men than lesbian women. Straight men want to get laid and straight women want partners.

If straight men encouraged gay men to come out and marry other men then there would be fewer partners for women and their chances of getting laid (done?) would increase. If women would discourage men from being gay they would have more opportunities to find partners.

Notice the common positions of men and women are contrary to the interests of men and women.

If we compare the real behavior to the rational self-interest behavior we would conclude women want polygamy and men want monogamy.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
A_Nony_Mouse wrote:I observe

A_Nony_Mouse wrote:

Unless you're talking about female homosexuality, in which case even the most stringent homophobe tends to have his jaw drop in awe. There are exceptions to the rule, but those people are self hating homosexuals, and should really just accept the fact that they like the same sex. Smiling

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

peppermint
Superfan
peppermint's picture
User is offlineOffline

A_Nony_Mouse wrote:

I've always attributed that to our culture's unwritten social standards that men should be tough, masculine and "strong". Homosexuality is a "direct threat" to that belief.

*Our world is far more complex than the rigid structure we want to assign to it, and we will probably never fully understand it.*

"Those believers who are sophisticated enough to understand the paradox have found exciting ways to bend logic into pretzel shapes in order to defend the indefensible." - Hamby

marcusfish
Superfan
marcusfish's picture
User is offlineOffline

A_Nony_Mouse wrote:

I observe men are more likely to condemn homosexuality than women. If we compare the real behavior to the

I don't see how the rest of your post supports this assertion. Is this just a reflection of the men that *you* know? I have seen just as many women get freaked out about homosexuality as men... more, actually, now that I think about it. But that isn't support for anyting but a statement about the people I am exposed to.

Quote:
rational self-interest behavior we would conclude women want polygamy and men want monogamy.

Again, I don't see that the information you provided (while interesting enough) defends the assertions you have made. Hambydammit has written fairly extensively on this subject. He came to a different conclusion entirely, maybe you should take a look at how he defends his position.

Balkoth
User is offlineOffline
Huh?  I could have sworn

Huh?  I could have sworn our dear Rambo kitty said it was men who wanted monogamy, as otherwise those men without power aren't going to get any, more or less.  And women would rather split a rich man than marry a poor one, on average.

A_Nony_Mouse
atheist
A_Nony_Mouse's picture
User is offlineOffline

peppermint wrote:
A_Nony_Mouse wrote:

I've always attributed that to our culture's unwritten social standards that men should be tough, masculine and "strong". Homosexuality is a "direct threat" to that belief.

Again contrary to self interest. Male dominance is more easily achieved over weak men. It is perhaps what we are culturally supposed to say rather than what we would prefer.

The other side of the coin is saying women should be meek and compliant. And then we see popular shows like Xena, Buffy/Angel/Firefly/Dollhouse and even Charmed in addition to the heroines in video games and movies such as the Alien series.

Jews stole the land. The owners want it back. That is all anyone needs to know about Israel. That is all there is to know about Israel.

www.ussliberty.org

www.giwersworld.org/made-in-alexandria/index.html

www.giwersworld.org/00_files/zion-hit-points.phtml

ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
User is offlineOffline
Homophobia really isn't an

Homophobia really isn't an issue in more diverse environments.

As for your comment about males, that is only generally in christian subcultures, usually in rather regressive areas.

In Japan for example, male homosexuality is more accepted and embraced than female. But in more diverse areas usually just about anything is accepted, because people are not groupthinking as often and can't really be defensive against everyone that has a different viewpoint.

Theism is why we can't have nice things.

A_Nony_Mouse
atheist
A_Nony_Mouse's picture
User is offlineOffline

marcusfish wrote:

A_Nony_Mouse wrote:

I observe men are more likely to condemn homosexuality than women. If we compare the real behavior to the

I don't see how the rest of your post supports this assertion. Is this just a reflection of the men that *you* know?

What does anyone have other than the people they know?

Jews stole the land. The owners want it back. That is all anyone needs to know about Israel. That is all there is to know about Israel.

www.ussliberty.org

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:What does anyone have

Quote:

Uh.

Books?

The Internet?

wkirby
User is offlineOffline

A_Nony_Mouse wrote:

The male/female birth ratio is such that in the teens there are an equal number of each which is perhaps the best indicator of at least multi-year monogamy being the norm for our species.

I don't understand the logic or Math of this statement. That there are equal number of male/female in the population indicates only that there are an equal number male and female births. One man can impregnate multiple women in a very short space of time. One woman can have multiple births to different fathers. Either way, monogamy or polygamy has nothing to do with the ratio of males to females.

A_Nony_Mouse wrote:

Be that as it may the ratio of gay men to lesbian woman is on the order of 6:1. Studies vary and all are questionable because they rarely properly define the subject or permit bisexual as a third alternative. Be that as it may.

There are significantly more gay men than lesbian women. Straight men want to get laid and straight women want partners.

If straight men encouraged gay men to come out and marry other men then there would be fewer partners for women and their chances of getting laid (done?) would increase. If women would discourage men from being gay they would have more opportunities to find partners.

Still trying to work out where you're going here but you seem to be making the presumption that a) straight men give a shit what gay men do, at odds with your observation that men are more likely to condemn homosexuality; b) male to male marriage has an effect on whether gay men would consider partnering with a woman and; c) anyone discouraging a man from being gay equates to actually changing sexual preference.

From the gay friends I have and those I've met, encouraging them to not be gay would be about as successful as encouraging them to grow wings and fly. My observation is you are or are not gay, encouraging someone to deny who and what they are is counter-productive at best, severely psychologically damaging at worst.

A_Nony_Mouse wrote:

Notice the common positions of men and women are contrary to the interests of men and women.

If we compare the real behavior to the rational self-interest behavior we would conclude women want polygamy and men want monogamy.

Again I'm not sure how you arrived at this conclusion. 'Real behaviour' can also be equated to a female desire to reproduce and a male desire provide or protect. Perhaps it could be that male humans are so damned irresistable the whole species wants a piece of the action - certainly that would go a long way to explaining masturbation!

Maybe it doesn't explain anything. Maybe humans are direct descendants of bonobo monkeys.

Anyway, I'm genuinely curious as to what this post is about, can you please shed some more light on what you're thinking here A_Nony_Mouse?

Why can't people accept that Atheism is by definition no faith? I don't believe in Atheism, I simply am Atheist.

pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
pauljohntheskeptic's picture
User is offlineOffline
A_Nony_Mouse wrote:If

A_Nony_Mouse wrote:

Since gay men aren't prospects or partners for women whether or not they come out it has a net effect of zero on the chance for a straight man to get laid.

Women can have no effect on discouraging homosexual men to increase their odds of getting a partner. Homosexuality doesn't work that way. They have no real interest in being with women.

I don't recall ever losing out to a gay man in my pursuit of sex with women, though perhaps your experience is different. Are you saying women would rather be with a gay man than with those who you know that you surveyed?

A_Nony_Mouse wrote:

All of my guy friends seem to want polygamy not monogamy as do many of my female friends though it could be a biased survey.

"God is omnipotent, omniscient, omnibenevolent, - it says so right here on the label. If you have a mind capable of believing all three of these divine attributes simultaneously, I have a wonderful bargain for you. No checks please. Cash and in small bills." - Robert A Heinlein.

ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
User is offlineOffline
:D

polygamy is pretty much becoming a viable alternative standard I think. A whole generation abandoned marriage, and their children are about now as adults.

I've been involved in a few relationships that involved three people. I don't know if I could personally take more than that, but everyone is their own person so I see no problems with this

There are also a lot of swingers out there. To each their own

A_Nony_Mouse
atheist
A_Nony_Mouse's picture
User is offlineOffline

Kevin R Brown wrote:

Quote:

Uh.

Books?

The Internet?

The internet is just a few more people. Books are popularizations for an intended audience.

If you wish to discuss sociological surveys in professional publications then there is a modest chance of having data independent of personal knowledge. I say modest chance in that sociology is one of the softest of the soft sciences.

www.ussliberty.org

A_Nony_Mouse
atheist
A_Nony_Mouse's picture
User is offlineOffline

pauljohntheskeptic wrote:
A_Nony_Mouse wrote:

Since gay men aren't prospects or partners for women whether or not they come out it has a net effect of zero on the chance for a straight man to get laid.

To the contrary all through history men whom we would consider very openly gay did in fact marry and have families. Some Roman emperor's not only openly had male lovers but one (forget which) deified his when he happened to drown in the Nile. Granted the Christian culture has caused it to be kept hidden but what little we can glean from biographies of historical figures indicates gays were married.

Keep in mind marriage was a family duty having nothing to do with love. But this brings me back to the real problem in any characterization of gay/straight, BIsexuals are left out of consideration in the west. The second problem is the West is split on what makes for gay. In the US and maybe Canada is it the inner "feelings" that are taken to establish being gay. In Europe it is only the act that makes one gay.

The issue of marriage only presents an issue when one ignores the bisexual and jumps on the gay/straight dichotomy of present day politics.

Women can have no effect on discouraging homosexual men to increase their odds of getting a partner. Homosexuality doesn't work that way. They have no real interest in being with women.

I don't recall ever losing out to a gay man in my pursuit of sex with women, though perhaps your experience is different. Are you saying women would rather be with a gay man than with those who you know that you surveyed?

Preference? No idea. Simply the more men completely out of circulation the more women become spinsters. Given the same sex adoption issues being raised it appears the desire for a family is independent of sex preference. I know of at least one couple who really don't much like each other but who can tolerate each other who married just to have a family. The kids pulled them together. I presume the same thing can happen if one of the partners is gay.

I forget the clever way of saying it but it is not who you are screwing it is who you are thinking about when you are screwing.

A_Nony_Mouse wrote:

All of my guy friends seem to want polygamy not monogamy as do many of my female friends though it could be a biased survey.

I presume if the man is rich enough women would have no problem with polygamy but in the real world one wife is expensive enough. Rather than asking after the sex ask after having a family.

www.ussliberty.org

Rich Woods
Rational VIP!
Rich Woods's picture
User is offlineOffline
 For the life of me I can't

For the life of me I can't understand why anyone would condemn the private practices of consenting adults...and why anyone would be either offended, or consider gays a threat to anything... other than being self-righteous, indignatious, bigots, and having a burning desire to impose their will on others. Perhaps...just as science has discovered genological traits for homosexuality and promiscuity...they will one day discover the DNA strand that contains the propensity towards becoming mypoic self indulgent assholes.

They want to preserve the sancitiy of marriage?...could their be a more ridiculous assertion considering the state of heterosexual (allegedly) monogamous marriage in this country?...Yeah, those sanctimonious Vanillas are sure ding a bang-up job preserving family values...a divorce rate of over 50%, infedelity run amok and rampant out of wedlock childbirth...good job, you pious jizzbags...

This appears to me that this is just another cause that hate filled, easily led, bigoted simpletons can use the bible for to make themselves feel like their miserable little lives are not the living nightmares that they are.

Fags rule...To my recolection I can't think of one instance where a group of out of control sissy mary's went berserk and acted out in violence... all these people do is contribute to society...not to mention how they have contributed to the awesomness of my wardobe...

(I shouldn't post before my second pot of coffee)

pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
pauljohntheskeptic's picture
User is offlineOffline
A_Nony_Mouse

A_Nony_Mouse wrote:

To the contrary all through history men whom we would consider very openly gay did in fact marry and have families. Some Roman emperor's not only openly had male lovers but one (forget which) deified his when he happened to drown in the Nile. Granted the Christian culture has caused it to be kept hidden but what little we can glean from biographies of historical figures indicates gays were married.

Keep in mind marriage was a family duty having nothing to do with love. But this brings me back to the real problem in any characterization of gay/straight, BIsexuals are left out of consideration in the west. The second problem is the West is split on what makes for gay. In the US and maybe Canada is it the inner "feelings" that are taken to establish being gay. In Europe it is only the act that makes one gay.

The issue of marriage only presents an issue when one ignores the bisexual and jumps on the gay/straight dichotomy of present day politics.

In ancient times homosexual sex was not considered as today. Even James I had kids, ordered a bad Bible translation, and was homosexual as well.

One of my friends discovered she was married to a gay man about 6 months into the marriage. He did what you claim, married to appear normal. It ended shortly thereafter.

A_Nony_Mouse wrote:

Simply the more men completely out of circulation the more women become spinsters. Given the same sex adoption issues being raised it appears the desire for a family is independent of sex preference. I know of at least one couple who really don't much like each other but who can tolerate each other who married just to have a family. The kids pulled them together. I presume the same thing can happen if one of the partners is gay.

Except there is little else holding the marriage together so they usually disintegrate. I have seen this occur many times when the family stayed together for the kids. Several women I know left for other women as well. Others left because they got caught cheating.

A_Nony_Mouse wrote:

I forget the clever way of saying it but it is not who you are screwing it is who you are thinking about when you are screwing.

That works until the paper bag falls off their head.

"God is omnipotent, omniscient, omnibenevolent, - it says so right here on the label. If you have a mind capable of believing all three of these divine attributes simultaneously, I have a wonderful bargain for you. No checks please. Cash and in small bills." - Robert A Heinlein.

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 I've never seen more

I've never seen more bizarre and unrelated rubbish used to reach a marginally true conclusion.  Wow.

If we are working out the male and female mating strategies from the ground up, it is true that women are more genetically motivated to prefer monogamy than men in species where parental investment is high.

You don't need anything about gays or lesbians to work this out.  Occam suggests we should ignore everything you proposed.  I agree with Occam.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

marcusfish
Superfan
marcusfish's picture
User is offlineOffline
Rich Woods wrote:Fags

Rich Woods wrote:
Fags rule...To my recolection I can't think of one instance where a group of out of control sissy mary's went berserk and acted out in violence... all these people do is contribute to society...not to mention how they have contributed to the awesomness of my wardobe...

My new all time favorite post.

Hamby wrote:
I've never seen more bizarre and unrelated rubbish used to reach a marginally true conclusion.  Wow.

My bad Hamby, I totally misrepresented what you said. I need to go back and read that thread about male/female mating habits... and pay closer attention Sticking out tongue

marcusfish
Superfan
marcusfish's picture
User is offlineOffline
A_Nony_Mouse

A_Nony_Mouse wrote:

marcusfish wrote:

A_Nony_Mouse wrote:

I don't see how the rest of your post supports this assertion. Is this just a reflection of the men that *you* know?

Well, when someone presents a case and then attempts to back it up... often they will present evidence such as statistics or scientific evidence.

If you're just expressing a passing opinion then that's cool. You had just presented your viewpoint as if it had some validity other than your own 2am ramblings. If it doesn't, all good.

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Whoops, marcus... I

Whoops, marcus... 

I pushed that out in such a hurry, I was unclear...

Let me make it more clear:

Females, in a best case scenario, would like to have one male who is completely monogamous.  This way, she'd get all of his spare resources, and have the best possible chance of raising her young successfully.

Males, in a best case scenario, would like to have as many females as possible.

This is as far as I went with the OP, because the OP is silly.  In humans, we don't have best case scenarios because males and females are essentially competing strategies.  (Yes, I meant to say humans are strategies.  For the purpose of game theory, it helps to think of it this way.)  Men are not equal.  Some men are much, much better than others, either genetically or in terms of available resources.  If the gap between the best and worst males is large enough, the math works out where a female would do better to have half of a very good man than all of a very poor man.  So, as variation increases, polygamy becomes more attractive to females.

By the same token, things are not perfect for males either.  In a best case scenario, they could fuck and run, and theoretically, they could have as many offspring as they could find mates.  In reality, though, each male has very limited resources, and females demand resources to grant mating privileges.  So, a male who has only one female doesn't have to spread his resources thin, and can compete with other males who are investing everything in one female's offspring.

So, it sounds contradictory, but it's not.  We start with the baseline of males wanting polygamy and females wanting monogamy, but the competition severely tempers these genetic desires and creates a tenuous balance somewhere in between.

Does that make more sense?

(Oh, and none of this has anything to do with gay/lesbian anything.)

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote: Whoops,

Hambydammit wrote:

Whoops, marcus... 

I pushed that out in such a hurry, I was unclear...

Let me make it more clear:

Females, in a best case scenario, would like to have one male who is completely monogamous.  This way, she'd get all of his spare resources, and have the best possible chance of raising her young successfully.

My observation is that it's no so much monogamy that women want, but rather dependable and responsible behavior in men. They may view a commitment monogamy as a means to this end, but I think women can get just as bored as men with a relationship with the same person.

Women file for divorce more than men do. Also, look at the number of women in LTRs that read romance novels and fantasize for something more exciting than the life of a housewife.

The mistake I see a lot of women make is marriage to a man who they think will be monogamous instead of a man that is responsible. A reason why Christianity appeals more to women is because they think it means their husband will be faithful no matter what. It's better if they just accept the findings of science and look for men that are responsible about work and raising children, rather than men loaded up with the fear of hell if they commit adultery.

Taxation is the price we pay for failing to build a civilized society. The higher the tax level, the greater the failure. A centrally planned totalitarian state represents a complete defeat for the civilized world, while a totally voluntary society represents its ultimate success. --Mark Skousen

Rich Woods
Rational VIP!
Rich Woods's picture
User is offlineOffline
 hmmm...it's interesting

hmmm...it's interesting how the subject of this thread has drifted over from public perception about same sex relationships to the differences inherent in the sexes...  

We need to be careful when we engage the Mars/Venus paradigm with such cavalier generalizations... When we say things like "Men want", and "women need" in regard to relationships and monogamy we need to acknowledge the premise from which these stadards operate, and the institutions that support them.

I will maintain that much of the supression of our libidos and sexual subjugation of women that America suffers from is  religion based...and that sex-o-phobic cultural dynamic has been brilliantly capitolized on by the self serving snake oil salesmen in the self-help industry... The Mars/Venus archetype serves *their* interest...not ours. Religion and self-help are reliant on the sexes being at odds...our discontent keeps them in business...

Not to get overly Fruedian here...but relationships are tough enough to negotiate without having to deny our impulses in favor ofthe same  marital plan we had when Woodrow Wilson was president (that stands about the same chance of lasting as a beer in my fridge)...Given the opportunity to unlearn (yes, a blatent self promotion for my own brand name) the drivel we have been conditioned to believe is the singular truth about marriage and monogamy...and allowing women the liberty to make their own choices about the nature, the manner and the frequency that they conjugate without fearing a "moralistic" double standard... which endures because most of our heritage stems from patriarchal societies...Many have come to accept this as conventional wisdom without much question. 

It is our collective inability to recognize the Matrix that keeps us bound to it.

Enough rambling...I'll say this much: Monogamy extends beyond physicality... and without outdated faith based axioms, women would be able to exhibit thier sexuality much more openly than they do now...and when we experience this, much of the Mars/Venus stereotype becomes laughable. 

wkirby
User is offlineOffline
Rich Woods wrote:Fags

Rich Woods wrote:

(I shouldn't post before my second pot of coffee)

While I agree with your sentiment - and hate to bust your bubble but... ever heard of Alexander the Great? In fact, homosexual relationships were common  thoughout ancient cultures in Europe and Arabia. Having said that, I don't think I would be inclined to call someone like Alexander a "sissy Mary" Sticking out tongue

Why can't people accept that Atheism is by definition no faith? I don't believe in Atheism, I simply am Atheist.

ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
User is offlineOffline
:3

Gays fill positions in every type of job and are every kind of person.

I mean, look at the Republican party and Evangelical leaders! Gays come out there every few months, outed by the media. Then they publicly express sorrow at their "moments of weakness" and continue to try and bash gays and put up legal restrictions.

At least the support for them is going down faster than Ted Haggard in a hotel.

SSBBJunky
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
ClockCat wrote:At least the

ClockCat wrote:

At least the support for them is going down faster than Ted Haggard in a hotel.

''Black Holes result from God dividing the universe by zero.''

A_Nony_Mouse
atheist
A_Nony_Mouse's picture
User is offlineOffline

Rich Woods wrote:

For the life of me I can't understand why anyone would condemn the private practices of consenting adults...

It's a Jewish thing. Their god punished all of them for any individual violation even in private. A bacon cheeseburger on the Sabboth meant a plague was on the way. Islam corrected this. In the middle east they debate whether a balcony is part of the sanctity of the home when it comes to drinking alcohol. It is. A few years ago in Saudi the envelop was pushed when a man was charged with public drunkenness after falling off his balconey. I never did come across the resolution of the case.

Anyway Christians not only picked up the condemnation of gays but also the public nature of the home when it comes to the sin police.

www.ussliberty.org

A_Nony_Mouse
atheist
A_Nony_Mouse's picture
User is offlineOffline

A_Nony_Mouse wrote:

In ancient times homosexual sex was not considered as today. Even James I had kids, ordered a bad Bible translation, and was homosexual as well.

So far as I can determine the western problems with gays started when the Christians did a wholesale adoption of the OT as the foundation for what that Jesus guy changed. It beat the argument that if it were important he would have mentioned it.

www.ussliberty.org

A_Nony_Mouse
atheist
A_Nony_Mouse's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote: I've

Hambydammit wrote:

If we are working out the male and female mating strategies from the ground up, it is true that women are more genetically motivated to prefer monogamy than men in species where parental investment is high.

You don't need anything about gays or lesbians to work this out.  Occam suggests we should ignore everything you proposed.  I agree with Occam.

In more practical terms both men and women are motivated to remain in love for 4 to 5 years which is about the length of time to get a single child gathering on its own.

While I have no problem with leaving gays and lesbians out of it we still have the unaddressed larger category of bisexuals. Then of course we can address the European/American split between act or desire making any of the three.

If the issue is to be discussed at all I see no reason to limit it to the present day US political rhetoric where there are no bisexuals and desire makes for the fact independent of actions. Of course someone could demonstrate that bisexuals do not exist and that the Europeans are full of shit instead.

The European idea is like sin. One may have the desire to sin but as long as one does not one is not a sinner. That sounds very strange to the American viewpoint when it comes to gays. In fact it sounds down right silly. But we do not execute people because they have the desire to murder but do not. If you don't like sin, consider the European view legalistic.

www.ussliberty.org

A_Nony_Mouse
atheist
A_Nony_Mouse's picture
User is offlineOffline

marcusfish wrote:

A_Nony_Mouse wrote:

marcusfish wrote:

A_Nony_Mouse wrote:

Well, when someone presents a case and then attempts to back it up... often they will present evidence such as statistics or scientific evidence.

If you're just expressing a passing opinion then that's cool. You had just presented your viewpoint as if it had some validity other than your own 2am ramblings. If it doesn't, all good.

They are not all at 2am.

The difference in mating behavior between men and women may be crude but in the basic sense I use it it is quite well established. I do not see any cause to support it. And if there are any questions about it googling should answer any questions from sources eminently more quoteable than I.

As to statistics again there is the problem that US studies do not consider the bisexual category these days. The last time I saw it considered was in the late 90s in an AIDS study where the 12:1 transmission difference of men to women vice woment to men was established -- which is likely what has kept it from becoming a major epidemic. In that study exclusively gay or lesbian relationships were found a minority.

Common behavior is order of frequency is hetero only, bi, gay, lesbian.

I know of no way to have a discussion on this subject by pretending bi does not exist when it is the second largest.

www.ussliberty.org

Thomathy
Superfan
Thomathy's picture
User is offlineOffline
A_Nony_Mouse wrote:It's a

A_Nony_Mouse wrote:
It's a Jewish thing.
This is like a Godwin.  Can we have a name for invoking Jews in conversations, please?  Like G-dwin?  haha.

BigUniverse wrote,

"Well the things that happen less often are more likely to be the result of the supper natural. A thing like loosing my keys in the morning is not likely supper natural, but finding a thousand dollars or meeting a celebrity might be."

A_Nony_Mouse
atheist
A_Nony_Mouse's picture
User is offlineOffline

Thomathy wrote:

A_Nony_Mouse wrote:
It's a Jewish thing.
This is like a Godwin.  Can we have a name for invoking Jews in conversations, please?  Like G-dwin?  haha.

It is essentially impossible to do that as the usage of the word Jew is impossibly confounded. I recently posted on this in soc.history.ancient to address the explict and implict confounding of the word.

JTEM wrote:
> Matt Giwer <[email protected]> wrote:
>> The OT is total bullshit. The idea of a jewish "people" was
>> invented about a century ago as it does not appear before
>> then any place in history. Jews are only those who follow
>> Judaism which is a primitive genital mutilating religion.
> It's vastly more complicated than that.
I address a specific issue. Taking away the magic and god parts does not
leave you with a secular history. That is what the Zionists try to claim
because it supports their invention of a "jewish people," an idea which does
not appear in history until they invent it.
As you will see in the following the "complicated" parts are due to
translations guided by what the translator "knows" had to be true even if
the plain words say otherwise. I have pointed this out many times on the
issue of a presumed monotheism when there clearly was no such thing. Here I
go into the confusion of a Judea and Judeans as an administrative district
and the natives of it respectively and the use of Jew and Judaism today
which have no geographic DEnotation. Thus Judeans is translated Jews which
implies they were all worshipers of Yahweh and only Yahweh. There were no
such concepts in ancient times.
> On the one hand, recalling learning about Petra and the
> Nabateans, some Nanateans were Jews. So, yes, one
> could be "Jewish" in ancient times and not claim
> membership to a specific ethnicity.
All we know at the moment is the common translation used today.
> On the other hand,
> Herod the Great certainly felt it politically necessary to
> convert to Judaism.
There is almost no way to get an understanding of any ancient source on this
subject without examining the original. The free use of Jew to translate
Judean implies a member of the Yahweh cult. I do not see a problem with a
Nabatean from Judea. Nor do I see a problem with better half the Judeans
worshiping the goddess Ashara. Nor do I have a problem with Judeans
worshiping other gods. The religious police would only have a problem with
those who inherited the worship of Yahweh worshiping another male deity.
Why would anyone have a problem? Why would anyone assume such things were
not the case? The obvious answer is today we make an assumption of
monotheism and that they were all one "people" because of the OT conquest
story. And if we strip out the gods and the magic we are left with a tale of
civil conquest. But we know from real history and real archaeology that even
the stripped down version of the OT cannot be force fit into the region.
If that is the extent of your objection you have no need to read further.
If however you are basing this upon the description of the kingdom by
Josephus it is rather hopeless as the existence of any kind of kingdom of
that shape was not viable. As a hereditary group of clans with a loose
amalgamation several small kingdoms are possible. But he does put the south
end of their "kingdom" at the Dead Sea and starting at the Euphrates. If
that region was also called Judea again we have no problem.
Problem with Josephus is the earliest mention of them has their kingdom from
Yemen to the north end of the Dead Sea. This gives more territory to overlap
Judea. And of course the Jordan was not the eastern boundary but a river
that ran through Judea.
So whomever you prefer there is no conflict with a Judean also being a
Nabatean. Considering Josephus wrote to many strange things I'll go with
Diodorus. I am unaware of any description of exactly what Trajan conquered
from which the extent or nature of this kingdom can be derived.
Now if you want to run with Petra we find their chief god was a mountain
god. Then we have the Samarians with their own mountain for Sinai and a
Yahweh worshiped on it. We also have the Jerusalem Yahweh cult whose
mountain in Sinai far away and a god who lived on it. This god was
associated generally with Zeus and specifically with Dionysus and the
worship ceremony in Maccabes is very like a worship ceremony for Dionysus.
You don't get any further with their goddess which is associated with
Aphrodite and thus Astarte, Ashara and Ishtar.
No matter how we look at the Nabateans we don't find them that much
different from the Samarians, Judeans and Galileans. If a clan of the
Judeans were part of a league called the Nabateans we would need a scorecard
to tell them apart. It may also address who Josephus got it so wrong but
that would be stretching things in his favor and he deserves no slack.
> Wait. That's wrong.
> Herod the Great not only felt it necessary to convert to
> Judaism, but he actively promoted the idea that he was
> a Jew, when he wasn't. Don't some sources even state
> that he wasn't circumcised until much later in life?
So what did this "conversion" mean? That he became a legal resident of
Judea? It is unclear how one could become a Judean or a legal resident in
those days of if the concept even existed. The only way I can see it from
what I know of those times is to be adopted by a real Judean or if there
were some analogous body to the Roman senate which could declare a person a
Judean citizen. I have not heard even a hint of the latter however imitating
the Romans is far from unlikely.
Or does it mean he joined the Yahweh cult? If he was circumcised late in
life then he joined the cult which we commonly call Judaism and its members
Jews. Was anything beyond circumcision required for conversion at that time?
In fact what was the meaning of conversion in those days when there were no
religions and no membership requirements? Convert from what? This leads me
to ask what was the original word translated as convert?
Did his wife or wives join the Ashara cult and did they become Judeans by
marriage? Ever notice the OT god is referred to as the "god of your fathers"
not the god of your mothers or of your parents? Anyway it is not the
translation but the original words used that have to be considered.
What were the original words? Is there a convention for translation of Judea
and Judean? Do all translators follow that convention? I expect there is no
convention and translators use the usage of Jew common at the time of their
translation. From most all I have read there appears to be almost a
deliberate effort to confound the meaning of Yahwist and Judean with a
single word Jew. The only basis for that convention is the OT and it fables
with or without the magic. As even the secular parts are imaginary there is
no point in making that assumption.
There are several places in the gospels where Judean is conspicuous by its
absence. We find places where Jesus is specifically described as a Galilean
where it should be expressed as being different from a Judean. He was a
Galilean not a Judean but was a Yahwist or so the story goes. There is no
sense to it if it says he was a Galilean Judean. Both parts of the bible are
a record of only one "religion" and describes it as being the only one for
everyone in the region.
Which leaves us with the Samaritans to explain even though the OT claims all
of Samaria for the Yahweh cult. It is wise for Zionists to completely ignore
the NT when they claim the West Bank as being Judea and Samaria. For us the
NT reports a disliked people without a reason given. If they were like the
Samaritans today they had a minor variation on the Yahweh cult with its own
Sinai, temple and priest system but not the grandiose history invented by
the Judeans. A bit like the Latin/Greek split in Catholicism.
The NT also gives us the most obvious incorrect translations, the accusation
of claiming to be King of the Jews. That makes absolutely no sense in terms
of king of a religion but it makes perfect sense in terms of King of the
Judeans. (Cue the singing Herod.)
The OT does not present these confusions but they are often muddled with NT
confusions. The OT shows the name changes from Hebrews to Israelites to the
splitting off of the Judeans and some other names. As it is only about the
rich and powerful the "people" barely get a mention so the opportunities for
religiously "guided" translations are not as numerous when it comes to
confusing worship with other things.
> Anyhow, you're allowing your overt anti-semitism to
> color your perception of reality. What may have been
> true 2,300 years ago certainly wasn't true before the
> 1st century.
Excuse me but I am talking about real history here. I believe I have
established beyond question that whatever the Judeans were like back then
and whatever the Yahweh cult was like there was no monotheism in and of it.
Therefore there is really no connection between whatever was going on back
then and what we think of Jews and Judaism today. Our idea of Jews is
completely divorced from the administrative district from which the name
Jews derives whereas back then it was describing a geographic area.
And of course there was the popular use of the term which did not
distinguish between a Judean and Yahwist in the same way we popularly
speaking of Romans when the people may or may not have been actual citizens
of Rome. We also muddle the name when the people may or may not be residents
of the city of Rome. Thus we find mention of Judeans in Alexandria when
there is no reason that only Judeans and not Galileans were there.
No matter how we look at it there had to have been distinct names for
denoting geographic origin and for their cult membership.
It is also clear the use of the Iodumea or whatever could only mean people
from that district as there were no "religions" in any sense we have today
at that time. Back then there were worship practices, rituals and taboos.
That was it. There was no concept of a required belief which is today
essential to our idea of a religion. Clearly there was nothing like our idea
of Judaism unless one wants to consider modern Judaism to be no more than a
set of rituals and taboos which is about all it is for the real Orthodox.
Also consider us readers are part of the problem in imposing our assumptions
upon the translator and even doing the biblical thing by pulling short
passages out of context. Even in modern times these people are colloquially
called Jews but until recently were formally referred to as people of the
Mosaic confession and at times the children of Abraham even though that
would include those through Ishmael. For obvious reasons the use of children
of Abraham is deprecated by the Zionists.
Feel free to put this all together in a different way if you find the time.
I am certain you can find one or two things which are clearly in error so go
for correcting and re-explaining all of it in light of the corrections.
--
Anti-semitic acts in Europe are no where near the anti-goyim
acts in Israel and are not government inspired.
-- The Iron Webmaster, 4126
http://www.giwersworld.org/holo/nizgas3.html a4
Sat May 2 00:14:55 EDT 2009

www.ussliberty.org

ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm getting highly sick of

I'm getting highly sick of all the talk about jews.

That is all I have seen on this forum for almost two weeks now. It doesn't seem to matter the topic of the discussion, it always gets dragged into something about jews.

Yes, abrahamic religions stem from that belief system. It is a stretch though to have to bring the topic of jews into EVERY DISCUSSION. There are only a few people here that seem to want to work it into every conversation, but please..really.....

I could care less about jews. I was interested in the original topic here.

A_Nony_Mouse
atheist
A_Nony_Mouse's picture
User is offlineOffline

ClockCat wrote:

I'm getting highly sick of all the talk about jews.

That is all I have seen on this forum for almost two weeks now. It doesn't seem to matter the topic of the discussion, it always gets dragged into something about jews.

And Christians are always getting dragged into discussions about Christianity. Seems like there is no way to avoid it.

ClockCat wrote:
Yes, abrahamic religions stem from that belief system. It is a stretch though to have to bring the topic of jews into EVERY DISCUSSION. There are only a few people here that seem to want to work it into every conversation, but please..really.....

I could care less about jews. I was interested in the original topic here.

It appears you are referring to a comment of mine as an answer to why there would be a public interest in what people do in the privacy of their own homes.

I assume the proper response would be to suggest another origin for it. One could always ask where this abhorrence of gays came from. One answer would be the Christians but that only leads to where they got it from. Again the answer is the jews.

As the majority here are from western countries and the largest religion in these countries is Christianity. There are many things which originated in Christianity and which can not be traced back any farther than Christianity. There are also many things in Christianity which can be traced back to the Roman governmental system but no further.

It is not inappropriate to cite the proper origins of Christian things even if it does come from the Jews.

www.ussliberty.org