Comic Book Movies

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Comic Book Movies

SPOILER ALERT!!!!  If you have not seen The Dark Knight, and want to see it, don't read this unless you are prepared to see plot details. 

I just saw The Dark Knight over the weekend, and I really dug it.  I am not a huge fan of comic book movies, partly because I've never been a big fan of comic books, but I liked The Dark Knight for several reasons:

1) Heath Ledger.  I take back everything nasty I've ever said about him as just another pretty boy actor.  Jack Nicholson hasn't got shit.  Ledger had me with the pencil.

2) The bad guys were really fucking bad.  I absolutely loved the play on the Trolley Experiment in the plot line.  "So, who gets to die?"  I love the mental agony the Joker imposed on Batman, and the psychological games he played.  I was really, really compelled by the bad guys.

3) The girl dies.  I get tired of cliche's, and it was refreshing to see a hero movie where the girl dies.

4) The cinematography was great.

5) The acting was great, across the board.  Even Morgan Freeman.  I'm so glad the girl was Maggie Gyllenhaal, or however you spell it, instead of Katie Holmes.  Fuck Katie Holmes.  Ok... actually, I probably would, if given the chance, but it would be an angry revenge fuck for the time I've wasted watching her try to act....  Anyway, I seem to have gotten slightly off topic...

So, I liked the movie.  But that's not really what I want to talk about.  My friend and I got into a discussion about various comic book/sci fi movies and characters, and we both agreed that Batman is a much more durable movie hero than Superman.  The thing is, Superman is kind of restricted to a certain time period, and he's much more like a Greek God than a superhero.  I mean, it's really fucking difficult to find a new plot that works for a movie when the only thing you can do is use kryptonite against him.  "Gee... what a surprise!  The bad guy used kryptonite, and now he's going to try to kill Superman!"

But what about a nuclear explosion?  Would Superman live through that?  If he would, then kryptonite's not the only thing that will kill him... so... what about non-nuclear big fucking explosions?  How can he fly through the vacuum of space?  If he can't, can we kill him on earth by putting him in a vacuum chamber?  The big problem with superman is that you have to really fuck with the original idea to make it compelling, and even then, there isn't a whole lot of interest in a fist-fight between superman and pretty much any other mortal.

Batman, on the other hand, molds easily into any time period.  Whatever the current state of technology, just assume Batman has the state of the art, and that he's in really good physical shape, and punches really hard.  He's a little better than the average human, but he's also very vulnerable.  He needs his technology.

So anyway, these are my thoughts on the two characters.  Am I getting something wrong about Superman, or is he really kind of a broken concept?  Like I said, I never got into comics, so I don't know if my concept of superman is true to the original, or if it's changed significantly, or even if the whole Kryptonite being his only weakness thing is still a going concern.  Have you seen the latest Superman movie?  I have heard it kind of sucked and suffered from a plot problem or ten.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

mr804
Special AgentSuperfan
mr804's picture
User is offlineOffline
The superman reboot could

The superman reboot could have been a lot better. They should have moved it inline with some of the stuff that happened, oh i don't know, in the last 10 years. Have Lex be presedent of the US like he was in the comics for a while. Bring in some real villians like brainiac and dooms day. Lex AGAIN and a realestate scheme? blah.

oh well. At least it wasn't xmen 3. xmen 3 makes baby jesus cry. and spiderman 3. ugh.

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Spiderman 3 is very high

Spiderman 3 is very high on my list of "Worst Movies Ever Made."

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

Books about atheism

The Doomed Soul
atheist
The Doomed Soul's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote:1) Heath

Hambydammit wrote:

1) Heath Ledger.  I take back everything nasty I've ever said about him as just another pretty boy actor.  Jack Nicholson hasn't got shit.  Ledger had me with the pencil.

Aye... after Dark Knight, i'll never make another brokeback mountain joke again...

Hambydammit wrote:

2) The bad guys were really fucking bad.  I absolutely loved the play on the Trolley Experiment in the plot line.  "So, who gets to die?"  I love the mental agony the Joker imposed on Batman, and the psychological games he played.  I was really, really compelled by the bad guys.

Better the bad guys, better the movie... heros are as flat as cardboard, "Grr... i r batman"

Hambydammit wrote:

So, I liked the movie.  But that's not really what I want to talk about.  My friend and I got into a discussion about various comic book/sci fi movies and characters, and we both agreed that Batman is a much more durable movie hero than Superman.  The thing is, Superman is kind of restricted to a certain time period, and he's much more like a Greek God than a superhero.  I mean, it's really fucking difficult to find a new plot that works for a movie when the only thing you can do is use kryptonite against him.  "Gee... what a surprise!  The bad guy used kryptonite, and now he's going to try to kill Superman!"

But what about a nuclear explosion?  Would Superman live through that?  If he would, then kryptonite's not the only thing that will kill him... so... what about non-nuclear big fucking explosions?  How can he fly through the vacuum of space?  If he can't, can we kill him on earth by putting him in a vacuum chamber?  The big problem with superman is that you have to really fuck with the original idea to make it compelling, and even then, there isn't a whole lot of interest in a fist-fight between superman and pretty much any other mortal.

Superman... where to begin... its not that he is a "broken concept" its just that he seems... unfinished in his design, even with all the iterations, he still feels like the culmonation of every poorly thought out Uber-power one could ask for. If we take his most prominent itterations his, well, just look...

Earths sun, Sol, is where Supermans powers come from... destroy the Sun, destroy superman! Great, no villian on earth "should" do that...  (although, case in point from the other thread, that is a likely scenario on how a DBZ character would win )

Kryptonite? hard to obtain alien crystal that only seems to effect superman at what... 100yards? at most? Even then, its just supposed to make him human.

Several itterations have superman NOT being able to survive extended periods in a vaccuum environment, yet the 1980s (or was it 90s )  movies he "could" for a while.

Superman is not as fast, or faster than light, i dont care what Vaset says... and quite frankly, something that can go from 0 to Lightspeed on the surface of a planet SHOULD technically set in motion events that would kill all life (or at the very least, most human life )

Is Superman immune to "insert name" disease? or nanites? fuck... who knows?

Is he immune to posession or psyonics? No o_O?

Isnt there supposed to some polar opposite characters in the DC universe to superman? ... Darkside? i think... the one thats a rip off of Marvels; Apocalypse

He's trumphed up to be this "Greek God" as you put it, but i could rattle off a good 100 other characters that are not only more powerful, but even more well constructed and well written.

Its all 1960 golden age of comic book crap, when upstanding pretty boy, by the books, heros were "cool" , its really quite pathetic looking back on it all...

i hate superman, ok? >.<

The whole "Dark Knight" thing is FINALLY a step in the right direction for Hollywood, thumbs up from Doomy.

...even though good won out >.>

edit; Hmm... appears half my post just poofed into nothingness... fuck it, im not retyping any of it!

What Would Kharn Do?

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Quote:He's trumphed up to

Quote:
He's trumphed up to be this "Greek God" as you put it, but i could rattle off a good 100 other characters that are not only more powerful, but even more well constructed and well written.

o.O

You mean like... I can eat a galaxy for breakfast powerful?  Cause, um, I grant you that making a super-big god creature, yeah... that's more powerful than superman, but are there human-like characters that are more powerful than "Immune to everything and stronger and faster than everyone, and supersenses, and super lasers shooting from his eyes, and x-ray vision"?

Oh.. yeah, there's the lead thing with the x-ray vision... so kryptonite and lead are his only two weaknesses.

Books about atheism

The Doomed Soul
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit

Hambydammit wrote:

Quote:

o.O

You mean like... I can eat a galaxy for breakfast powerful?  Cause, um, I grant you that making a super-big god creature, yeah... that's more powerful than superman, but are there human-like characters that are more powerful than "Immune to everything and stronger and faster than everyone, and supersenses, and super lasers shooting from his eyes, and x-ray vision"?

Oh.. yeah, there's the lead thing with the x-ray vision... so kryptonite and lead are his only two weaknesses.

Yes, if i could delve into several other fiction universes i could easily pull out 100

Not just giant god creatures either, humanesque beings

but Superman isnt immune to everything either... he's just immune to most everything on earth (superman has been killed several times after all )

What Would Kharn Do?

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Like 804 said, they just

Like 804 said, they just needed to do a Superman movie circa the last decade or so. Watch the Justice League cartoon; I mean, Supes is still definitely The Man of Steel, but he's been toned down so challenges can be thrown his way.

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

- Leon Trotsky, Last Will & Testament
February 27, 1940

AmericanIdle
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote:SPOILER

Hambydammit wrote:

SPOILER ALERT!!!!   

So anyway, these are my thoughts on the two characters.  Am I getting something wrong about Superman, or is he really kind of a broken concept?  Like I said, I never got into comics, so I don't know if my concept of superman is true to the original, or if it's changed significantly, or even if the whole Kryptonite being his only weakness thing is still a going concern.  Have you seen the latest Superman movie?  I have heard it kind of sucked and suffered from a plot problem or ten.

The latest Superman movie was pretty bad in spite of the director's (Singer) success w/ the first two X-men movies. 

Superman to me has never seemed more than a 1-dimensional character and I don't have much interest in that.

The only thing interesting I've seen on Superman mythology as of late came from Kill Bill 2.

"Now, a staple of the superhero mythology is, there's the superhero and there's the alter ego. Batman is actually Bruce Wayne, Spider-Man is actually Peter Parker. When that character wakes up in the morning, he's Peter Parker. He has to put on a costume to become Spider-Man. And it is in that characteristic Superman stands alone. Superman didn't become Superman. Superman was born Superman. When Superman wakes up in the morning, he's Superman. His alter ego is Clark Kent. His outfit with the big red "S", that's the blanket he was wrapped in as a baby when the Kents found him. Those are his clothes. What Kent wears - the glasses, the business suit - that's the costume. That's the costume Superman wears to blend in with us. Clark Kent is how Superman views us. And what are the characteristics of Clark Kent. He's weak... he's unsure of himself... he's a coward. Clark Kent is Superman's critique on the whole human race."

I love Tarantino.

The Dark Knight is a great movie.  Incidentally, I finally got around to watching Brokeback Mountain...4 yrs late or something.  Ledger's performance in that is also amazing.  He definitely had talent.

I do hear the latest comics movie "Wolverine" is great.  

"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."
George Orwell

Jormungander
atheistScience Freak
Jormungander's picture
User is offlineOffline
The thing about Superman is

The thing about Superman is that no one can relate to him. In the last Superman movie a bank robber held a gun up to Superman's eye and pulled the trigger. The bullet hit Superman's eye and reflected off; leaving him unharmed. That 1 to 2 seconds of film is the perfect example of why I don't care about Superman in the movies. He is a god among ants on our world. There can be no struggle for him against anything that humans throw at him. Except of course, unless Lex Luthor finds yet another sample of Kryptonite. Also, that movie was mostly wasted on boring and irrelevant story lines involving his bastard son and Lane's huspand.

"You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their necks and we hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours."
British General Charles Napier while in India

spike.barnett
Superfan
spike.barnett's picture
User is offlineOffline
AmericanIdle wrote: "Now, a

AmericanIdle wrote:

"Now, a staple of the superhero mythology is, there's the superhero and there's the alter ego. Batman is actually Bruce Wayne, Spider-Man is actually Peter Parker. When that character wakes up in the morning, he's Peter Parker. He has to put on a costume to become Spider-Man. And it is in that characteristic Superman stands alone. Superman didn't become Superman. Superman was born Superman. When Superman wakes up in the morning, he's Superman. His alter ego is Clark Kent. His outfit with the big red "S", that's the blanket he was wrapped in as a baby when the Kents found him. Those are his clothes. What Kent wears - the glasses, the business suit - that's the costume. That's the costume Superman wears to blend in with us. Clark Kent is how Superman views us. And what are the characteristics of Clark Kent. He's weak... he's unsure of himself... he's a coward. Clark Kent is Superman's critique on the whole human race."

I love Tarantino.

I like some of the dialog, but I hate every movie he's had any part of. This is a shining example. The dialog above is excellent, but the movie was awful.

Jormungander wrote:

The thing about Superman is that no one can relate to him. In the last Superman movie a bank robber held a gun up to Superman's eye and pulled the trigger. The bullet hit Superman's eye and reflected off; leaving him unharmed. That 1 to 2 seconds of film is the perfect example of why I don't care about Superman in the movies.

I like this quote. It sums it up perfectly.

"Superman isn't brave. HeHe. You don't understand. He's smart, handsome, even decent. But he's not brave. No, listen to me. Superman is indestructible, and you can't be brave if you're indestructible. It's people like you and your mother. People who are different, and can be crushed and know it. Yet they keep on going out there every time."

After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him.

The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.
MySpace

The Doomed Soul
atheist
User is offlineOffline
AmericanIdle wrote:I do hear

AmericanIdle wrote:

I do hear the latest comics movie "Wolverine" is great.  

What... this one?

http://www.free-tv-video-online.info/movies/2009/x-men_origins_wolverine.html

Enjoy!

What Would Kharn Do?

mr804
Special AgentSuperfan
mr804's picture
User is offlineOffline
AmericanIdle wrote: The

AmericanIdle wrote:

The only thing interesting I've seen on Superman mythology as of late came from Kill Bill 2.

I love Tarantino.

In the Superman/Batman on-going series Batman doesn 't pull punches when he talks to Superman. In one conversation he says "The last time you inspired anyone was when you died." Good series.

MichaelMcF
Science Freak
MichaelMcF's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm pretty sure that, for

I'm pretty sure that, for some reason, Superman isn't invulnerable to Magic or some such thing.  I can't find a definite reference on that though.

The real problem with "Big S" is that he's the Messiah.  He was sent by his father from "heaven" to the earth, walked among us as a man and, when he came of age, took upon himself the burden of saving humanity.  The writers have struggled for years to contain him but everytime the get his ability on a leash somone comes along and takes it off again.  The only stories about Supes which are interesting are those designed to show the conflict of being an alien in a foreign land, the "what if?" scenarios like Red Son which give us alternate spins on how a perfect man would develop, or the ones that are used to make other people (primarily Batman) look cool.

M

Forget Jesus, the stars died so that you could be here
- Lawrence Krauss

DamnDirtyApe
Silver Member
DamnDirtyApe's picture
User is offlineOffline
MichaelMcF wrote: The real

MichaelMcF wrote:

The real problem with "Big S" is that he's the Messiah.  He was sent by his father from "heaven" to the earth, walked among us as a man and, when he came of age, took upon himself the burden of saving humanity.  The writers have struggled for years to contain him but everytime the get his ability on a leash somone comes along and takes it off again.  The only stories about Supes which are interesting are those designed to show the conflict of being an alien in a foreign land, the "what if?" scenarios like Red Son which give us alternate spins on how a perfect man would develop, or the ones that are used to make other people (primarily Batman) look cool.

M

Well, of course you're right.  I've always thought that Superman was at least in part a reaction to anti-semitism by his creators Siegel and Shuster, perhaps showing that a "real" Messiah would work toward a just world instead of proposing one to his followers.  Many fundamentalist Christians do consider Supes to be a mockery of Christ, so if that's what they were trying for, it looks like they succeeded.

"The whole conception of God is a conception derived from ancient Oriental despotisms. It is a conception quite unworthy of free men."
--Bertrand Russell

MichaelMcF
Science Freak
MichaelMcF's picture
User is offlineOffline
DamnDirtyApe wrote:Well, of

DamnDirtyApe wrote:

Well, of course you're right.  I've always thought that Superman was at least in part a reaction to anti-semitism by his creators Siegel and Shuster, perhaps showing that a "real" Messiah would work toward a just world instead of proposing one to his followers.  Many fundamentalist Christians do consider Supes to be a mockery of Christ, so if that's what they were trying for, it looks like they succeeded.

I wouldn't have said a mockery, more a modern day re-telling of that story.

Essentially, for me, it boils down to what Superman represents.  He's not a man who's struggle symbolises hope.  He's not a man who fears the world and hopes that he can do some good in it.  He is Hope.  He is Good.  It's a nightmare for any writer to challenge those things.  If you kill Superman what hope does anyone else have?  If you corrupt him then everyone's corruptible.  They tried killing him as a gimmick and had others step in to take up his charge (Superboy, Steel... whoever else) but at the end of the day all that remained in the back of anyones head was "Superman is dead".

Marvel on the other hand had Captain America.  While he started out as naked patriotism the character evolved much more to mirror the 'blue eyed boy scout" that Superman represents to the world of DC.  The difference with Cap is that he's a man; a man who believed in an idea so much that he was willing to put his life on the line time and time again in its defense.  He wasn't the idea, just its champion.  This is someone you can test.  This is someone you can kill.  And they finally got the balls to do it.  In this case we don't get the "If Cap is killed then there's no hope".  Instead we have "He died doing the right thing, others can learn by his example".  Bucky takes up the shield and Captain America moves on.

Batman is the next idealogical step along from this.  He's damaged goods.  Enough wealth and power to make Solomon blush but haunted by the demons of his past.  Irrevocably insane.  But he drives on and he does his best.  Every night.  In Batman we have a man fighting himself and winning.  Who doesn't want to be that man?  Who doesn't want to be the man who can hold his head high despite his own flaws?

Plus, he's got the batmobile.

M

Forget Jesus, the stars died so that you could be here
- Lawrence Krauss

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote:SPOILER

Hambydammit wrote:

SPOILER ALERT!!!!  If you have not seen The Dark Knight, and want to see it, don't read this unless you are prepared to see plot details. 

I just saw The Dark Knight over the weekend, and I really dug it.  I am not a huge fan of comic book movies, partly because I've never been a big fan of comic books, but I liked The Dark Knight for several reasons:

3) The girl dies.  I get tired of cliche's, and it was refreshing to see a hero movie where the girl dies.

4) The cinematography was great.

5) The acting was great, across the board.  Even Morgan Freeman.  I'm so glad the girl was Maggie Gyllenhaal, or however you spell it, instead of Katie Holmes.  Fuck Katie Holmes.  Ok... actually, I probably would, if given the chance, but it would be an angry revenge fuck for the time I've wasted watching her try to act....  Anyway, I seem to have gotten slightly off topic...

Batman, on the other hand, molds easily into any time period.  Whatever the current state of technology, just assume Batman has the state of the art, and that he's in really good physical shape, and punches really hard.  He's a little better than the average human, but he's also very vulnerable.  He needs his technology.

I pretty much agree with this. I don't think Superman is a broken concept, per say, but he doesn't have the staying power by any stretch. That's the problem with horrendously overpowered creatures in any universe. Every time they win, the next battle has to be even more impossibly huge to redraw the audience. Superman has pretty well covered every corner he could. Batman, not so much. And while I don't think Nicholson pales in comparison to Ledger(in fact, I think Ledger drew on Nicholsons' performance a bit in creating his own Joker), Ledger did have the edge. But I blame that on Burton to an extent. Who knows what Jack could have done if there was an actual director with skill behind the cameras? Burton raped Batman and everything to do with Batman, then shit on the remains.

mr804 wrote:
oh well. At least it wasn't xmen 3. xmen 3 makes baby jesus cry. and spiderman 3. ugh.

X-Men 3 was the only one of the series that came close to the reality of the X-Men. 1 and 2 blew so much. Too bad they then fucked up 3 horribly as well by killing off or depowering 80% of the mutants.

Hambydammit wrote:

Spiderman 3 is very high on my list of "Worst Movies Ever Made."

I think Spiderman 3 was awesome, as long as Venom is still alive. If he's dead, then yeah. They just wiped out all of my interest.

The Doomed Soul wrote:
Kryptonite? hard to obtain alien crystal that only seems to effect superman at what... 100yards? at most? Even then, its just supposed to make him human.

As I recall, there are numerous versions of kryptonite. Yellow, red, and green at least. One removes his powers, one poisons him, one kills him, etc. I don't remember the exact details though.

As to its substance, it's just a remnant of Krypton. You don't actually need a crystalized fragment. A rock does well enough.

The Doomed Soul wrote:

Superman is not as fast, or faster than light, i dont care what Vaset says... and quite frankly, something that can go from 0 to Lightspeed on the surface of a planet SHOULD technically set in motion events that would kill all life (or at the very least, most human life )

This is a comic series, not reality. And comics don't care what you say anymore than you care what I say:

"Superman's strength was increased to the point where he could move entire planets and he was able to fly at speeds faster than light."

So ends the discussion. Superman's powers have changed through time, like most superhero's and villains who've been around longer than 10 years, so it's generally impossible to lock onto his current actual powers unless you're going to start referring to specific timelines. None of us are geeky enough to pull that off.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
User is offlineOffline
http://www.youtube.com/watch?

The Doomed Soul
atheist
User is offlineOffline
pure... disturbing... gold

pure... disturbing... gold

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Quote:And while I don't

Quote:
And while I don't think Nicholson pales in comparison to Ledger(in fact, I think Ledger drew on Nicholsons' performance a bit in creating his own Joker), Ledger did have the edge. But I blame that on Burton to an extent. 

I was recently told a story about a spat between Kevin Smith and Tim Burton.  I don't want to look it up because I trust my source.  Anyway, apparently, Smith took some kind of shot at Burton (a relatively good natured shot) over this or that thing in one of his movies, and Tim Burton rather arrogantly replied something like, "You've got to be kidding.  *I* don't read comic books."  Smith replied, "I know.  I've seen your movie.  {Batman}"

Quote:
Who knows what Jack could have done if there was an actual director with skill behind the cameras? Burton raped Batman and everything to do with Batman, then shit on the remains.

I felt bad for Jack.  I really did. 

Quote:
I think Spiderman 3 was awesome, as long as Venom is still alive.

You mean... you watched the whole scene where Peter was dancing and playing the "bad boy" and singing in night clubs and... and... you didn't vomit?

I haven't seen X-men 3 yet.  I'm kind of scared to.  Please bear in mind, I don't read comics and never have.  When I see a comic book movie, I'm watching a movie about a superhero.  I have no idea what is or is not in the comic book, so I never get offended that something is not "true to the original."  I just want to see a good movie.

I've been told that The Dark Knight contained a lot of easter eggs for comic book junkies to prove that the entire cast and crew were trying to make a "comic book" movie, not just a Batman movie.  I don't know what they are, and wouldn't recognize them if I saw them, but I'm glad they were able to pull it off.  In the end, I want to see a good movie, though, and I don't really care about whether it matches the book.

I know I'm not the main target audience, and I'm not saying I think they ought to make the movies differently because I don't read comics.  I'm just giving my perspective as a non-comic reader who's marginally interested in superhero movies.

Oh, and back to SM3, the characters were too wooden for me.  "Hi, I'm the remorseful bad guy with lots of rage!"  "Hi, I'm the PURE EVIL from another galaxy that will flood your brain with endorphins and make you sexy."  "YOU KILLED MY FATHER!  PREPARE TO DIE!  Oh... yeah... wait... my father was a douche... Oh... no he wasn't!  Ok... he was a douche.  I love you man!"

The Batman had real problems to deal with.  Spiderman had a petulant poser best friend with ego problems and a whiny girlfriend who wants to know why she can't be an actress since she's such a princess.  By contrast, The Joker was a brilliant, manipulative, self-serving sonofabitch with a chip on his shoulder and apparently limitless political pull.  That big sand monster was just a thug, and who gives a shit about alien goo?

So says hambydammit.  So shall it be.

Quote:
As I recall, there are numerous versions of kryptonite. Yellow, red, and green at least. One removes his powers, one poisons him, one kills him, etc. I don't remember the exact details though.

As to its substance, it's just a remnant of Krypton. You don't actually need a crystalized fragment. A rock does well enough.

Oh yeah... I remember the different colors of kryptonite now...  Kind of hokey, but yeah, they had that on The Superfriends on Saturday morning back in the 70s.

Quote:
So ends the discussion. Superman's powers have changed through time, like most superhero's and villains who've been around longer than 10 years, so it's generally impossible to lock onto his current actual powers unless you're going to start referring to specific timelines. None of us are geeky enough to pull that off.

In a way, this whole thought process was already kick started by my little rant about D&D v.3.  Heroes cause escalation problems.  (This is also why I don't have to go to the theater to know that Fast and Furious is the worst movie ever made on any planet.)  Escalation is a real sonofabitch when you're trying to do any kind of serial.

Books about atheism

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote:Quote:I

Hambydammit wrote:

Quote:
I think Spiderman 3 was awesome, as long as Venom is still alive.

You mean... you watched the whole scene where Peter was dancing and playing the "bad boy" and singing in night clubs and... and... you didn't vomit?

I seem to have an awesome capability to ignore stupid things. For example, and this will be a shocker, Jar Jar Binks doesn't really annoy me that much.

I agree though, that was just painful, and so wrong. Since when is emo rebellious and dark? ugh.

Hambydammit wrote:

I haven't seen X-men 3 yet.  I'm kind of scared to.  Please bear in mind, I don't read comics and never have.  When I see a comic book movie, I'm watching a movie about a superhero.  I have no idea what is or is not in the comic book, so I never get offended that something is not "true to the original."  I just want to see a good movie.

I really don't know whether to recommend it to you or not. I do get very pissed when something isn't true to the original, and the X-Men fucked up the original beyond repair. And with fucking Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellen!!!!! HOW THE HELL!!?!!

If you saw the first two, then you can be slightly reassured that Singer didn't come back for the last one. In his commentary on part two, the fuckup had the insanity to suggest that 3 was going to be a musical. I don't know if he was joking or not, but if he wasn't, he earned my hatred of his work for all time.

Nah, he already did that with the first movie. Never mind.

Ugh. My favourite Marvel group of superheros....and it got obliterated. 3 times. Sad

Hambydammit wrote:

I've been told that The Dark Knight contained a lot of easter eggs for comic book junkies to prove that the entire cast and crew were trying to make a "comic book" movie, not just a Batman movie.  I don't know what they are, and wouldn't recognize them if I saw them, but I'm glad they were able to pull it off.  In the end, I want to see a good movie, though, and I don't really care about whether it matches the book.

I know I'm not the main target audience, and I'm not saying I think they ought to make the movies differently because I don't read comics.  I'm just giving my perspective as a non-comic reader who's marginally interested in superhero movies.

I do agree with you completely. No superhero movie can depend upon its fanbase for ticket sales. You need the average joe. Which means you have to make allowances. Unfortunately, in the case of the XMen, they went down a horrible road, and didn't end up making the movie any more approachable for the audience.

Hambydammit wrote:

Oh, and back to SM3, the characters were too wooden for me.  "Hi, I'm the remorseful bad guy with lots of rage!"  "Hi, I'm the PURE EVIL from another galaxy that will flood your brain with endorphins and make you sexy."  "YOU KILLED MY FATHER!  PREPARE TO DIE!  Oh... yeah... wait... my father was a douche... Oh... no he wasn't!  Ok... he was a douche.  I love you man!"

Lol. Sandman was good, I thought. A guy who wanted to be good, but kept making the wrong choice or getting into the wrong place at the wrong time. Kind of the opposite of Spiderman, who often wants to let go of the responsibility and just be himself.

I found the real problem with Spiderman 3 was timing. They went way too far way too fast. 3 should have been 3 movies, not one. It ruined the whole Venom presentation. First movie with the suit should have ended with Peter getting it off, and Eddie coming into contact with it. Instead they hypered it, and Venom was actually a character already.

They also hypered poor Harry. He went through quite a lot for such a large cast. Would've been better to end that in its own movie.

Hambydammit wrote:

The Batman had real problems to deal with.  Spiderman had a petulant poser best friend with ego problems and a whiny girlfriend who wants to know why she can't be an actress since she's such a princess.  By contrast, The Joker was a brilliant, manipulative, self-serving sonofabitch with a chip on his shoulder and apparently limitless political pull.  That big sand monster was just a thug, and who gives a shit about alien goo?

So says hambydammit.  So shall it be.

Heh. Pretty well everyone ever interested in Spiderman cares about that alien goo. As I recall, Venom is by far the most popular bad guy in fiction after Darth Vader. Smiling

Though again, you make a great point with the adversity Batman had to deal with compared to what Peter did. Although, if you compare the first Spiderman to the first Batman I think you find a better medium. Peter had a few more problems in the first movie.

Hambydammit wrote:
Quote:

Oh yeah... I remember the different colors of kryptonite now...  Kind of hokey, but yeah, they had that on The Superfriends on Saturday morning back in the 70s.

Quote:

In a way, this whole thought process was already kick started by my little rant about D&D v.3.  Heroes cause escalation problems.  (This is also why I don't have to go to the theater to know that Fast and Furious is the worst movie ever made on any planet.)  Escalation is a real sonofabitch when you're trying to do any kind of serial.

Indeed. I've tried to keep that in mind as I write my own work. Real limits are needed for anything that will have a future beyond your immediate plans in anything one writes. I've seen many different series' auto-fail after an attempt to address an issue which should have been addressed during the original writing.

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Quote:Lol. Sandman was

Quote:
Lol. Sandman was good, I thought. A guy who wanted to be good, but kept making the wrong choice or getting into the wrong place at the wrong time. Kind of the opposite of Spiderman, who often wants to let go of the responsibility and just be himself.

I just thought Sandman was stupid.  I have no sympathy for stupid.

Quote:
I found the real problem with Spiderman 3 was timing. They went way too far way too fast. 3 should have been 3 movies, not one. It ruined the whole Venom presentation. First movie with the suit should have ended with Peter getting it off, and Eddie coming into contact with it. Instead they hypered it, and Venom was actually a character already.

You're exactly right.  It was sort of like watching a horse race.  "Coming up on the left, we have a huge lump of sand smashing everything in sight... but... look out!  Mary Jane wants to be an actress.  Making a stab through the middle, here comes Harry... what a tortured soul.  FLASHBACK!!  Back to the nasty alien goo!  Peter's a bad boy!!!  Naughty Naughty!!  Alien GOOO!!!!!  Sandman!!!!  BOOOOM!!!   CRASH!!!!!

That'll be $9.50 please.

The whole damn thing was too cliche.  Maybe it's just a problem with Spiderman.  I understand wholesome vs. evil, but on the big screen, you have to make your characters human.  These characters were all cardboard cutouts.  No soul.  (FSM forgive me.)

Quote:
Heh. Pretty well everyone ever interested in Spiderman cares about that alien goo. As I recall, Venom is by far the most popular bad guy in fiction after Darth Vader. Smiling

No kidding?  I'd have never guessed that.  Alien goo makes people act bad?  I prefer Invasion of the Body Snatchers.

Quote:
Though again, you make a great point with the adversity Batman had to deal with compared to what Peter did. Although, if you compare the first Spiderman to the first Batman I think you find a better medium. Peter had a few more problems in the first movie.

Yeah, Peter had a lot of potential as a character, but whether it was from trying to be "like a comic" or just bad writing/directing, he just ended up looking like a damn naive fool.  Like I said, I have no sympathy for stupid.

Quote:
Indeed. I've tried to keep that in mind as I write my own work. Real limits are needed for anything that will have a future beyond your immediate plans in anything one writes.

Might as well take this thing full circle.  This is why life has more meaning when there isn't an all powerful being making sure everything works out just the way he likes it.  Limits make life interesting.

Actually, I've seen a lot of work indicating that limits might be damn near necessary for the creative process.  If I tell you, "You've got ten minutes to outline a compelling story," a lot of people will freeze up simply because they have no idea where to start.  On the other hand, if I tell you to outline a compelling story about a teenager alienated from his father who narrowly avoids jail and has a life changing epiphany, yeah, you're restricted severely, but you also have something to work with... and the more restrictions you have, the more creative you have to get to come up with something interesting.  Limits inspire creativity.

Quote:
 I've seen many different series' auto-fail after an attempt to address an issue which should have been addressed during the original writing.

Funny you mention that.  The friend I mentioned earlier said something that I thought was really interesting.  Any half-decent Star Wars geek knows that there are problems in the SW plot that make reconciling the Egyptian Exodus with archaeological records look like childsplay.  Han can't skip across a couple of parsecs to drop off some money, but Luke can complete years of training while Han skips across a couple of parsecs to visit his old buddy Lando.  Put that in your pipe and smoke it.

The thing is, Lucas didn't know he was making a six part movie series.  He was blowing his wad on something he thought was fun and interesting.  Unfortunately, he took the Bill Clinton route when his mistakes were discovered.  He could have stepped up to the mic and said, "Folks, I was just making a space cowboy movie.  I didn't plan ahead for six movies.  A few things aren't going to work out perfectly because that's the way it works in the movie business.  Just use your imagination.  It's not the infallible word of god.  It's a movie."  Instead, he's constantly gone back and insisted that there are plausible explanations that make all six movies flow seamlessly together.  What a crock.

Fix the problems.  Move on.

Incidentally, how about this for an alternate ending to episode IV?  Han swoops in, saves the day, flies off into the sunset, Western style.  In the final scene, everybody gets their medals, and Luke is downhearted, wishing Han were there.  Leia whispers, "I don't know... I don't think we've seen the last of Han Solo."

Enter Episode V:  Han has returned from an encounter with Jabba the Hutt, who (being an evil son-of-a-bitch) was no longer happy with just the promised price, and demanded ten times as much, and put a price on Han's head after he narrowly escaped capture.  Seeking refuge with the rebels, Han is once again unwittingly made part of the rebel alliance's struggle, all the while being pursued by evil Jabba and the bounty hunters.

Books about atheism

The Doomed Soul
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit

Hambydammit wrote:

Quote:
Heh. Pretty well everyone ever interested in Spiderman cares about that alien goo. As I recall, Venom is by far the most popular bad guy in fiction after Darth Vader. Smiling

No kidding?  I'd have never guessed that.  Alien goo makes people act bad?  I prefer Invasion of the Body Snatchers.

ya... thats just how butchered Spidey3 actually was... one of marvels more "entertaining" and loved villians being nothing more than "naughty goo"

What Would Kharn Do?

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 DERAIL (I can do it since

DERAIL (I can do it since it's my thread.)

Sometimes, directors make good decisions about staying true to the book.  If Tom Bombadil had been in LoTR, I would have thrown up in my mouth a little.  He was a terrible character in the book, and as far as I can tell, was just a nice plot device to help Tolkien get himself out of a jam because he wasn't creative enough to figure out anything interesting.

Yes.  I just totally shat on Tolkien.  The books weren't as good as everybody makes them out to be.  All the fantasy shit that came from them?  Some of it's pretty cool.  Some of it's not.  It's like Star Wars.  The legend is better than the facts.

Back to Spidey, though, I guess perhaps contrasting me and Vastet is an interesting experiment.  I don't know or care about the comics, and I thought Venom was a totally boring piece of shit-like alien goo.  Vastet has all these memories of how cool Venom has been in the past, and was disappointed, but probably still rode a lot of nostalgia to get him through an otherwise terrible movie while still feeling pretty good about the experience.

What do you think, Vastet?  Nostalgia bias made the movie seem better to you than it seems to a neophyte like me?

Books about atheism

DamnDirtyApe
Silver Member
DamnDirtyApe's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit

Hambydammit wrote:

Incidentally, how about this for an alternate ending to episode IV?  Han swoops in, saves the day, flies off into the sunset, Western style.  In the final scene, everybody gets their medals, and Luke is downhearted, wishing Han were there.  Leia whispers, "I don't know... I don't think we've seen the last of Han Solo."

Enter Episode V:  Han has returned from an encounter with Jabba the Hutt, who (being an evil son-of-a-bitch) was no longer happy with just the promised price, and demanded ten times as much, and put a price on Han's head after he narrowly escaped capture.  Seeking refuge with the rebels, Han is once again unwittingly made part of the rebel alliance's struggle, all the while being pursued by evil Jabba and the bounty hunters.

It's embarrassing to admit to knowing this, but in my misspent youth, I passed time with a bunch of bad Star Wars novels.  Pretty much exactly what you said happened.  Obviously that isn't canon because it wasn't depicted on screen, but it is canon that three years passed between IV and V and therefore, those events certainly could fit into canon. . .

I am so glad I discovered pussy.

As a side point, what's all this about Venom being as well known as Darth Vader?  Nobody outside of Marvel comics readers knew who Venom was until Spidey 3.  I can name 10 comic book villains of the top of my head that the average Joe will recognize more quickly than Venom.

"The whole conception of God is a conception derived from ancient Oriental despotisms. It is a conception quite unworthy of free men."
--Bertrand Russell

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Quote:It's embarrassing to

Quote:
It's embarrassing to admit to knowing this, but in my misspent youth, I passed time with a bunch of bad Star Wars novels.  Pretty much exactly what you said happened.  Obviously that isn't canon because it wasn't depicted on screen, but it is canon that three years passed between IV and V and therefore, those events certainly could fit into canon. . .

See... that's all Lucas had to say.  "Hey guys... I kind of fucked up by not planning well enough for a sequal, and I had to make do with what made it to the screen.  It's a movie.  Read the books, and you'll see how it all works out."

But nooooooooo!  The movies are seamless.  Right.

Quote:
I am so glad I discovered pussy.

There are two kinds of people in this world.  Those who will ditch Star Wars in a heartbeat for some pussy, and those who don't get enough pussy.

Quote:
As a side point, what's all this about Venom being as well known as Darth Vader?  Nobody outside of Marvel comics readers knew who Venom was until Spidey 3.  I can name 10 comic book villains of the top of my head that the average Joe will recognize more quickly than Venom.

Dr. Doom

Lex Luthor

(I admit, I'm having to think a little now... )

Oh, duh... The Joker.

The Penguin

umm.. was the Silver Surfer a bad guy or a good guy?

(I told you guys I don't know shit about comics.)

Magneto...

this is getting really difficult.  Who was that big fucker that ate planets and dressed in purple, or something...

That's all I can think of.

Books about atheism

DamnDirtyApe
Silver Member
DamnDirtyApe's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote: That's

Hambydammit wrote:

Wasn't really asking that of you, as I'm well aware you're not a comic book geek.  But I'm pretty sure that anybody who does consider himself a comic book geek wouldn't have too much trouble.

--Bertrand Russell

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit

Hambydammit wrote:

Quote:

I just thought Sandman was stupid.  I have no sympathy for stupid.

lol. Fair enough. And true enough.

Hambydammit wrote:

Quote:

You're exactly right.  It was sort of like watching a horse race.  "Coming up on the left, we have a huge lump of sand smashing everything in sight... but... look out!  Mary Jane wants to be an actress.  Making a stab through the middle, here comes Harry... what a tortured soul.  FLASHBACK!!  Back to the nasty alien goo!  Peter's a bad boy!!!  Naughty Naughty!!  Alien GOOO!!!!!  Sandman!!!!  BOOOOM!!!   CRASH!!!!!

That'll be $9.50 please.

The whole damn thing was too cliche.  Maybe it's just a problem with Spiderman.  I understand wholesome vs. evil, but on the big screen, you have to make your characters human.  These characters were all cardboard cutouts.  No soul.  (FSM forgive me.)

I really can't disagree at all.

Hambydammit wrote:
Quote:

This particular goo does. It is sentient in and of itself. Sadly, they didn't get into that very much in the movie. Most of what they did get into, it was a backdrop to Peter's whole emo thing, and he wasn't paying much attention. By rote, neither did we. Dr. Connor's voice was literally over-ridden by Peter and the girl next door.

On the bright side, they didn't rush it to the extent that Carnage was also involved. Carnage being the offspring of the original symbiote, who ended up fusing with a clinically insane criminal. My fear is that they'll hyper this by simply having a remnant of the suit survive S3, and find this guy, as opposed to Eddie and Venom still existing, and Carnage being the offspring and a seperate individual. At least half of the fun of the characters came from Carnage and Venom fighting each other to have the right to destroy Spiderman.

Hambydammit wrote:

Quote:

Yeah, Peter had a lot of potential as a character, but whether it was from trying to be "like a comic" or just bad writing/directing, he just ended up looking like a damn naive fool.  Like I said, I have no sympathy for stupid.

It's a good point. There were a few things in S3 that Peter had already overcome, only to be saddled with them all over again. Which ends up making him an idiot.

Hambydammit wrote:

Quote:
Indeed. I've tried to keep that in mind as I write my own work. Real limits are needed for anything that will have a future beyond your immediate plans in anything one writes.

Might as well take this thing full circle.  This is why life has more meaning when there isn't an all powerful being making sure everything works out just the way he likes it.  Limits make life interesting.

In the interest of not spoiling anything I'm not going to respond to this comment. Smiling

Hambydammit wrote:

Actually, I've seen a lot of work indicating that limits might be damn near necessary for the creative process.  If I tell you, "You've got ten minutes to outline a compelling story," a lot of people will freeze up simply because they have no idea where to start.  On the other hand, if I tell you to outline a compelling story about a teenager alienated from his father who narrowly avoids jail and has a life changing epiphany, yeah, you're restricted severely, but you also have something to work with... and the more restrictions you have, the more creative you have to get to come up with something interesting.  Limits inspire creativity.

Oh very much so. When I first started writing, all I had to work with were a few disconnected ideas floating around in my head. I immediately set to work on defining certain gameplay aspects, as the desired end result of my writing would be a game format (Vid, or RPG, or both). Then, when I had properly defined some things that needed to be defined, I sat down to start the story itself, and did absolutely nothing. I didn't have anything to work with. Or, more specifically, I had too much to work with. So I went and started defining a few more things, creating an outline for the series in the process. That made writing the story infinitely easier. I wrote two chapters in two days. Then I got stumped again, because I was doing a character/scene change and I hadn't properly created the setting for the new character. What other characters will interact with her? Where? How? How many are available to interact with her? What about the societal functions? So I went back to my outline again and started some more work.

Of course, I look back on my defining of the gameplay aspects now, and see they need to be completely reworked as well. lol.

Hambydammit wrote:

Quote:
 I've seen many different series' auto-fail after an attempt to address an issue which should have been addressed during the original writing.

Funny you mention that.  The friend I mentioned earlier said something that I thought was really interesting.  Any half-decent Star Wars geek knows that there are problems in the SW plot that make reconciling the Egyptian Exodus with archaeological records look like childsplay.  Han can't skip across a couple of parsecs to drop off some money, but Luke can complete years of training while Han skips across a couple of parsecs to visit his old buddy Lando.  Put that in your pipe and smoke it.

The novels clear that up. After Han came back to save Luke from Vader, and allow Luke to nuke the Death Star in the process, Han was given a command within the Rebel Alliance. His duties in the fledgling alliance were insurmountable, as the alliance was sorely lacking in skilled labour and administration. Han was one of the people the Alliance tapped heavily for this, which made it so he never got around to paying Jabba off. There's even a mention of it in Episode V, where Han mentions running into a bounty hunter on Ord Mantell, though obviously the movies themselves didn't address this to most peoples satisfaction.

Oh, and regarding Luke training while Han is taking his time getting to Lando, well the Millenium Falcon's hyperdrive was down. They were moving at sublight speeds to get to Lando. Hence, Luke had plenty of time to train. But I think it was weeks or months. It couldn't have been many years, if it was any. Return of the Jedi occurred 4 years after A New Hope, and only about a year after The Empire Strikes Back.  

Hambydammit wrote:

The thing is, Lucas didn't know he was making a six part movie series.  He was blowing his wad on something he thought was fun and interesting.  Unfortunately, he took the Bill Clinton route when his mistakes were discovered.  He could have stepped up to the mic and said, "Folks, I was just making a space cowboy movie.  I didn't plan ahead for six movies.  A few things aren't going to work out perfectly because that's the way it works in the movie business.  Just use your imagination.  It's not the infallible word of god.  It's a movie."  Instead, he's constantly gone back and insisted that there are plausible explanations that make all six movies flow seamlessly together.  What a crock.

There are a few errors in the Star Wars chronology, but to be honest, I have yet to see a universe with so few of them. The movies themselves only have one or two issues. The novels add another two or three. I would be greatly surprised if anyone could come up with a list of 10 insurmountable inconsistancies.

And actually, Lucas did have an idea that he was looking at a six part series. They wouldn't let him call the first movie Episode IV until it had already been successful, but it was his intention to call it that from the beginning. The reason he started at 4 instead of 1 is simply technology. He had a hard enough time coming up with the effects for Episode 4, let alone the mass cityscape of Coruscant in 1, 2, and 3.

However, from everything I've seen Lucas say on the matter, he only had a vague impression of where he was wanting to go. He certainly didn't have scripts or even outlines written up for Episodes 1 through 3, but he did have the idea that he was going to make them.

Hambydammit wrote:

Well maybe it would help if you knew why Jabba had a price on Han in the first place. It is stickier than the movies let on. On Kessel, where all Glitterstim Spice (THE premium drug on the market) is mined, you have a prison planet run by the Empire (at the time of the movie in question at least). This planet isn't large enough or stable enough to have much of an atmosphere. And even if it was, it would probably be stripped away by the Black Hole cluster nearby. This cluster is why the "Kessel run" is so difficult. In order to complete it faster, you have to skim closer to the black holes. Which is obviously somewhat suicidal.

On Kessel, an administrative flunky for the Empire named Moruth Doole was running his own little scam. He'd import miners who wanted some cheap spice, gave them some maps, and arranged to distribute the spice for them, at a cost of course(thanks to an arrangement he had with Jabba). When these miners had emptied the caverns they were mining, or the Empire was getting close to discovering them, Doole would traditionally turn them in to the Empire to preserve his business and gain favour with the Empire.

Han was not one of these miners, but he was indirectly attached to one group by happening to be the guy running the spice when Doole decided to betray them, which put him afoul of an Imperial task force. Jabba knew this well, and had an assassin pay Doole a visit, as well as trying to capture Han.

Han also suspected Doole's involvement, and that made him a bit less eager to return to the field he'd been working all those years (Jabba's assassin failed to kill Doole). Which made the Rebel Alliance seem like a much better destination for him.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote:Quote:As a

Hambydammit wrote:

Quote:

Ugh. I said popular, not well known.

Dr. Doom =  Nope. The Fantastic Four never scratched the surface of Spiderman popularity.

Lex Luthor = Maybe more well known, but certainly not more popular.

Oh, duh... The Joker. = same as Lex.

The Penguin = same as Lex.

umm.. was the Silver Surfer a bad guy or a good guy? = both, but he was never all that popular.

Magneto = The only one I might have to agree with, thanks to his Jewish background during WWII.

this is getting really difficult.  Who was that big fucker that ate planets and dressed in purple, or something... = Galactus? Or something. The guy who created the Silver Surfer is what's coming to mind. I may be off though.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote: DERAIL

Hambydammit wrote:

DERAIL (I can do it since it's my thread.)

Sometimes, directors make good decisions about staying true to the book.  If Tom Bombadil had been in LoTR, I would have thrown up in my mouth a little.  He was a terrible character in the book, and as far as I can tell, was just a nice plot device to help Tolkien get himself out of a jam because he wasn't creative enough to figure out anything interesting.

Yes.  I just totally shat on Tolkien.  The books weren't as good as everybody makes them out to be.  All the fantasy shit that came from them?  Some of it's pretty cool.  Some of it's not.  It's like Star Wars.  The legend is better than the facts.

Back to Spidey, though, I guess perhaps contrasting me and Vastet is an interesting experiment.  I don't know or care about the comics, and I thought Venom was a totally boring piece of shit-like alien goo.  Vastet has all these memories of how cool Venom has been in the past, and was disappointed, but probably still rode a lot of nostalgia to get him through an otherwise terrible movie while still feeling pretty good about the experience.

What do you think, Vastet?  Nostalgia bias made the movie seem better to you than it seems to a neophyte like me?

I have absolutely no doubt in my mind that bias allows me to enjoy S3. I also have no doubt in my mind that if they take one more wrong step in the series that I'll wash my hands of it.

The Doomed Soul
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote: Quote:As

Hambydammit wrote:

Quote:

Dr. Doom

Lex Luthor

(I admit, I'm having to think a little now... )

Oh, duh... The Joker.

The Penguin

umm.. was the Silver Surfer a bad guy or a good guy?

(I told you guys I don't know shit about comics.)

Magneto...

this is getting really difficult.  Who was that big fucker that ate planets and dressed in purple, or something...

You know whats really depressing?... Hamby cant name 10 villians that an average joe might recognise, yet i can name 100 non-god entities that could destroy superman... why the fuck does my brain record this shit?

GIT OUTA MAH HEAD!

What Would Kharn Do?

Rich Woods
Rational VIP!
Rich Woods's picture
User is offlineOffline
As a life long Marvel comics

As a life long Marvel comics (and Spiderman in particular) fan...and Hater of almost all of what DC comics tries to pass off... The X men movies, the Spiderman Movies...Daredevil, Electra and the first Hulk movie all ranged from awful to unwatchable...the commonality they all shared was that Marvel liscensed out their rights to Sony Pictures, who bastardized the product...

*However*...with the advent of Marvel Studios...Iron Man, and the 2nd Hulk were terrific...Sony is doing the upcoming Wolverine movie, which looks to be another insipid, dummied down. story line altered product, designed to attract kids (who will hate it for the same reasons that adults do).

I am about to shuck my hog in anticipation of the Thor, Capt America, Iron Man 2, and Avengers movies...Christ I am sad.

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Since Tim Burton was

Since Tim Burton was brought-up:

If you'd have asked me about 5 years ago, I'd have probably said Tim Burton was my all-time favorite director and that Edward Scissorhands was my all time favorite movie.

Then last year I bought a copy a copy of Edward Scissorhands to relive my fond memories of it... and nearly spit-up bile over it. What an awful movie.

It's true. Tim Burton really is only the best ever while you're 18 and angsty.

Quote:
There are two kinds of people in this world.  Those who will ditch Star Wars in a heartbeat for some pussy, and those who don't get enough pussy.

*Shakes fist!*

I don't need you!

I don't need ANYBODY!!!

*Runs off to his den to write Harry Potter slash fiction that reeks of being composed by someone who knows sex only via the slides they show in 12th grade Health class*

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

- Leon Trotsky, Last Will & Testament
February 27, 1940

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Quote:It's true. Tim

Quote:
It's true. Tim Burton really is only the best ever while you're 18 and angsty.

Damn.  I was trying to think of something witty to say about this, and all I kept coming back to was... damn... you're right!  I'd never thought about it this way.

Quote:
*Shakes fist!*

I don't need you!

I don't need ANYBODY!!!

*Runs off to his den to write Harry Potter slash fiction that reeks of being composed by someone who knows sex only via the slides they show in 12th grade Health class*

Ah, angsty pubescent slasher fiction... nothing screams "I WAN'T PUSSY!" like it.  It's the teen version of punching girls on the playground.  Isn't human nature fun?

Books about atheism

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Is it strange that I never

Is it strange that I never liked Burton or anything he ever did? I'm really serious here. I remember when his nightmare before christmas or whatever the hell it was called was hailed as a masterpiece, and I puked. I watched Batman and Batman 2, and I puked. I watched Edward Scissorhands, and I puked. I looked at Burton, and I puked.

I can't think of a single thing he was ever a part of that I enjoyed in the slightest.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Oh yeah, there was a comment

Oh yeah, there was a comment Hamby made earlier that I meant to comment on, and never did now that I'm looking back.

You shat on Tolkein. Personally, I do too. I tried reading the Hobbit once. I don't think I made it through the first chapter. That was my one and only Tolkein encounter. I have not seen the LOTR movies. I have not read the books. I haven't had anything to do with him since my failed attempt to read the Hobbit. Everywhere I turn my favourite authors champion him. Meh.

DamnDirtyApe
Silver Member
DamnDirtyApe's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ed Wood is a nice little

Ed Wood is a nice little film, and I enjoyed Sweeney Todd to a certain extent as well, but I would say that the rest of Burton's work leaves me cold.

As for good old John Ronald Reuel, I think we do him a disservice when we consider his work anything but children's and young adult fiction.  There's very little moral ambiguity and there's no mention of sex.  As that, his stuff works up to a point, though as pointed out previously, he manages to bore kids and adults alike with Tom Bombadil.  I still admire the Silmarillion, though primarily because he ditched the hobbits and gave us lots of violence and betrayal instead.  I stay out of slash fiction entirely, but I've always wanted to see a story in which Turin Turambar kills everybody at Hogwarts and rapes the Hat of Sorting as revenge for a perceived slight at his family's honor.  Is there something like the Postmodernism Generator for geeky slashfic?  Or is each one a delicately crafted and balanced slurry of literary seepage?

--Bertrand Russell