Do creationists believe in cancer, the immune system or even bacterial resistance?

ragdish
atheist
ragdish's picture
User is offlineOffline
Do creationists believe in cancer, the immune system or even bacterial resistance?

It is not surprising that the overwhelming majority of American physicians accept evolution. For if they did not, I would be seriously worried that they are quacks.

When cancer cells multiply, spontaneous random mutations occur within the genome. The cell that has the right mutation that confers resistance to a chemotherapy drug will survive and that clone will multiply.

When a foreign antigen invades the body, the immune system triggers the production of lymphocytes with different genotypes. The specific lymphocyte clone that has the right antibody to fend off the invading antigen will proliferate.

When bacteria encounter an antibiotic such as Penicillin, a few will develop the right mutation that de-activates the drug (eg. Beta-Lactamase). To save the patient's life, a good clinician would have to be well versed in the science of bacterial resistance and then prescribe a more potent antibiotic.

There are countless other similar examples in biology. All demonstrate a form of Darwinian evolution ie. random mutation followed by natural selection. And I bet you, when it suits them (ie. in life or death situations particularly when personal health is at stake), creationists will eat crow and accept evolution.

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
 I would recommend to

I would recommend to creationists that they not accept evolution where their own lives and health are concerned. If they feel that artificially selecting themselves out of the population demonstrates their holy goodness, then more power to them.

Saint Will: no gyration without funkstification.
fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

spike.barnett
Superfan
spike.barnett's picture
User is offlineOffline
HisWillness wrote: I would

HisWillness wrote:

I would recommend to creationists that they not accept evolution where their own lives and health are concerned. If they feel that artificially selecting themselves out of the population demonstrates their holy goodness, then more power to them.

But they don't... They have 14 kids...

After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him.

The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.
MySpace

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
That's microevolution.

That's microevolution.

Edit: It's still a bacteria.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare