JREF YouTube Account Suspended

Laughing_Man_d8D
Gold Member
Laughing_Man_d8D's picture
User is offlineOffline
JREF YouTube Account Suspended

Yup, that's right YouTube has suspended the James Randi Educational Foundation channel. Since sometime in January James Randi had been posting videos on thsi channel as well as old clips of HIMSELF on various apperances, on TV and lectures, he had done over his life. I'm posting this just about an hour after hearing about the channel being taken down, which is in the wake of many small "free thought" channels being attacked by votebots 1 staring videos. Here's a link to a video on how to help James get his channel re-instated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7Cn_gjevik

The link is to dprjones' original video who made it.

kryters
kryters's picture
User is offlineOffline
This is ridiculous. The JREF

This is ridiculous. The JREF channel is one of my favourites - it is filled with rational resources. I wonder why the channel was taken down. I know Youtube aren't so hot on explaining their actions.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
This angers me.

This angers me.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
The only thing I can think

The only thing I can think of is if he posted his interviews from other TV shows, then those companies that owned the shows filed a copy-right claim.

In fact, that video will probably have the audio disabled, due to the song use.

Laudanum
Laudanum's picture
User is offlineOffline
I saw in a post elsewhere

I saw in a post elsewhere that some other accounts are having problems too, they mentioned AtheistMedia and Rational Response (I haven't checked on those, my computer is being temperamental) so I thought I'd swing by to see if you guys had any more info on this.

Cafeeine
Cafeeine's picture
User is offlineOffline
I don't know if there's

I don't know if there's another thread for this, but I also noticed that the RationalResponse channel is also suspended.

There seems to be a pattern growing.

Coffee... I worship at thy altar every morning

kryters
kryters's picture
User is offlineOffline
I found an update on

I found an update on ShaneDK's YouTube Channel:

UPDATE: Update - Received word from JREF about suspension:

"Sean: there were a few complaints about Oprah material and some from Dean Radin, as well. YouTube shut us down pending our resolution of these problems. I expect we'll be back up very soon...

James Randi."

It's as simple as that. Let's hope the channel's back up soon.

Laughing_Man_d8D
Gold Member
Laughing_Man_d8D's picture
User is offlineOffline
It sucks that YouTube uses a

It sucks that YouTube uses a ban first then later tells you why they banned you.

Laudanum
Laudanum's picture
User is offlineOffline
Good to know an explanation

Good to know an explanation has surfaced re: the JREF channel.  I know this is kind of unrelated but there seems to be a controversial YouTube user who has been suspended for supposed TOU infringement where there was none (that I could see, anyway).  I guess my point in mentioning it is that if this guy really has been taken down by bogus flagging just because some people don't like him...well, who's next?

I swam about in YouTube a bit today and there also seems to be a votebotting campaign currently underway, mostly targeting freethinkers.  Again, that's kind of unrelated but it's something to be aware of, and if you can help out by rating some of their vids back up, I'm sure they'd appreciate it.

Anime_Otaku
User is offlineOffline
I noticed Rationalresponders

I noticed Rationalresponders had gone too. I may just add all those people that have been attacked by the votebots to my friends and takes some time to help with the rebuilding. I also look forward to Thunderf00t's responce to the latest attack.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Laughing_Man_d8D wrote:It

Laughing_Man_d8D wrote:

It sucks that YouTube uses a ban first then later tells you why they banned you.

For that, you can thank hollywood and the music industry. lol.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
(No subject)