Judge rules against "Bible Trailer"

nncarroll
nncarroll's picture
User is offlineOffline
Judge rules against "Bible Trailer"

From the local TV stations website:

http://www.wane.com/dpp/news/local_wane_fort_wayne_bible_study_halted_on_school_grounds_200903201647_rev1

FORT WAYNE, Ind. - A federal judge has ruled a local bible-study program stop taking place on school grounds.

We're talking about the "By the Book" traveling program at Huntington County Community Schools, Horace Mann Elementary. 

A parent filed suit against the school corporation for allowing the Associated Church program to take place on school property in unmarked trailers.

Attorneys for the parent requested the instruction stop immediatley, until court proceedings end.

On Thursday, United States District Court Judge James T. Moody granted that request, while also denying the school corporation's request to have the lawsuit dismissed.

The By the Book program has been taking place at Huntington County Community Schools for more than 50 years.

---------

Huntington, Indiana is my home-town, and I attended the Elementary school that is mentioned in the blurb.  And, unfortunately, I went to the "Bible Trailer", as it was called, once a week throughout each school-year during my youth.  Because I was young and raised Christian, I didn't really think too much of it.  My only inkling that the "Bible Trailer" was not a positive presence was the fact that one girl in my class was Jewish.  It was kind of a big deal that she didn't come to the trailer, and she had to explain why she was different.  While the rest of the class was in the trailer, she would sit alone back in the classroom inside the school.  I didn't think that it was fair that we left her out.  I remember thinking about how awful she must feel being left out like that.

As you can imagine, the law-suit created quite a controversy in the little town (and in my family).  The fact that the judge ruled in favor of the parent's motion to have the activities of the "Bible Trailer" stopped until the trial ends is a small victory and is hopefully a good sign of things to come.

I will post more once the court provides a decision on the actual lawsuit itself.  I expect it to be a while before that happens.

Cheers!

If god does indeed exist, then he is very much a fool, because I, too, exist.

nncarroll
nncarroll's picture
User is offlineOffline
For interested parties, I am

For interested parties, I am attaching a couple more sources.  I don't have the time to write much, but these sources do a good job.

A better article here:

http://www.journalgazette.net/article/20090321/LOCAL03/303219987/0/FRONTPAGE

A blogger following the lawsuit:

http://scienceblogs.com/dispatches/2009/03/injunction_issued_in_indiana_r.php 

If god does indeed exist, then he is very much a fool, because I, too, exist.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Awesome find!*Commences

Awesome find!

Laughing out loud

*Commences reading*

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.