Any other musicians here?

Zymotic
Superfan
Zymotic's picture
User is offlineOffline
Any other musicians here?

I know there are some, because it came up in thread about music in schools, but I am interested to see who all plays what and such. Links to band pages and stuff would be cool.

I've been playing guitar for 3.5 years, piano for much longer but not very seriously, and french horn for a couple of years, but I'm terrible.

I'm am also the lonely-starving-artist behing http://myspace.com/zymotic , which is my experimental dance/idm project. I just posted a new song called "The World Is Unhappy."

My Brand New Blog - Jesu Ad Nauseum.
God of the Gaps: As knowledge approaches infinity, God approaches zero. It's introductory calculus.

peppermint
Superfan
peppermint's picture
User is offlineOffline
I WISH I had a band, but I

I WISH I had a band, but I sing, play guitar and write music. I used to play viola in school and a little piano.

*Our world is far more complex than the rigid structure we want to assign to it, and we will probably never fully understand it.*

"Those believers who are sophisticated enough to understand the paradox have found exciting ways to bend logic into pretzel shapes in order to defend the indefensible." - Hamby

Nikolaj
Superfan
Nikolaj's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hey Zym.As I've mentioned

Hey Zym.

As I've mentioned before I am a musician (of sorts). I'm the kind of person who, no matter what I might be doing at any point in my life, I consider myself a musician who just happens to work at other jobs to get by.

I sing, and have done so my whole life. I now also play guitar and piano and harmonica (that is, mouthharp), but only very basic, not very good at any of those.

I sang in a rock coverband way back when, in High School (well, Gymnasium, which is the Danish equivalent, but to call it High School is close enough for jazz), and also performed in amatour musicals during those years (1997-2000). Since I moved to Copenhagen I've been looking for a band that suits me, but haven't had any of them work out to my liking. So I've only had myself to play with (yearh I know, there's a double entendre there) for a long time.

That is, until recently...

Because (drumroll please) :

The bands back together! Huzzah!

My old drummer and guitarist has recently moved to Copenhagen, and we've reformed our old band here at the beginning of 2009.

We've rented a room to practice in, and will begin playing together next week. A bass-player has been found.

As we get a set together (still cover by the way. We like it that way for now) we are sure to get some gigs around Copenhagen, and we'll have a homepage up and running by then, with live recordings, to showcase ourselves for more gigs.

You'll probably have to wait until late summer before there's anything like that to enjoy, but you can rest assured I'll be posting links here by then, because this is the best thing to have happened to me in a long time, and I am so fucking full of myself at the moment, and I definately want the world to know Smiling

Well I was born an original sinner
I was spawned from original sin
And if I had a dollar bill for all the things I've done
There'd be a mountain of money piled up to my chin

Renee Obsidianwords
High Level DonorModeratorRRS local affiliate
Renee Obsidianwords's picture
User is offlineOffline
I am an average singer and I

I am an average singer and I play the violin.  Smiling

Never in a band though.

Slowly building a blog at ~

http://obsidianwords.wordpress.com/

Cali_Athiest2
Cali_Athiest2's picture
User is offlineOffline
I play guitar and sometimes

I play guitar and sometimes drums with some friends but not in a band per se. We get together and jam a couple times a month. I've been playing about 24 years now mostly metal and some classic rock (pink floyd, led zeppelin) stuff.

"Always seek out the truth, but avoid at all costs those that claim to have found it" ANONYMOUS

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Drummer. But I can play

Drummer. But I can play the piano pretty well, the guitar passably, some bass ... y'know, whatever's around.

Hamby did his degree in music, I think.

While we're sharing, I recorded myself (times 7) singing the creepiest verses of Jacob's Ladder in civil war choir style. Enjoy:

http://langstroth.org/music/Jacob.mp3

Saint Will: no gyration without funkstification.
fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Having listened to "The

Having listened to "The World Is Unhappy", I present a response built with the comedy that only GarageBand can bring. Prepare yourself for dance music meets clown:

http://langstroth.org/music/Happier.mp3

fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

spike.barnett
Superfan
spike.barnett's picture
User is offlineOffline
I play electric guitar. It

I play electric guitar. It sat around for about 2 years. I picked it up a couple months back and now I play it at least an hour a day. I just learned "Killing in the Name" minus the solo... I want to get a warlock but I can't see buying a new guitar when there's nothing wrong with the one I have now.

After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him.

The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.
MySpace

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
FWIW, I have an

FWIW, I have an undergraduate degree in piano performance with a minor in guitar performance, as well as a graduate degree in piano with an emphasis on 19th century music theory.  I won a couple of national competitions, as well as about a dozen state and locals.  I toured with a band for a couple of years, and have experience in engineering, producing, orchestration, and general composition.  I'm a little weak on post-1950s composition, but if it's between 1750 and 1950, I can probably answer any questions you have.  I taught music for 15 years, with an emphasis on jazz and composition.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

dead_again
Special AgentWebsite Admin
dead_again's picture
User is offlineOffline
I am always asked to do

I am always asked to do karoke at family/friend gatherings because I am told I have a powerful voice similar to that of Trent Reznor, but not exactly the same (it definitely needs work). I am working on learning the bass guitar (getting both hands to work independently of each other will take some time )

What I enjoy most though is the recording/production end of music. I am in need of some of the hardware to make this a reality, but I've got a pretty solid studio software setup (thanks to ubuntu studio: http://ubuntustudio.org )

Your god's silence speaks loud and clear

thatonedude
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Self taught guitarist. I

Self taught guitarist. I dabble in percussion(who doesn't?). My musical tastes vary widely. I played more before college, work and family. I'm slowly piecing together a mini home studio to record some of the ideas I have.

All that is necessary for the triumph of good is that evil men do nothing.

dassercha
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
I come from a family of

I come from a family of singer/musicians and have played quite a few instruments, played in bands, toured etc., which, compounded with a once burgeoning writing career, has led to a fun case of ye olde carpal's/RSI in my forearm and wrist.

Thanks Jesus! Eye-wink 

EDUCATION! EDUCATION! EDUCATION!

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
I played the violin for a

I played the violin for a number of years. I can sing pretty good.....I think. I wish I could play the guitar.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

Archeopteryx
Superfan
Archeopteryx's picture
User is offlineOffline
I've been playing guitar and

I've been playing guitar and bass for a little over a decade. I played in three different bands, although only two of them ever actually played any gigs anywhere. Nothing major, of course. Coffee houses and parties. My favorite band I was ever in actually won a (albeit small) battle of the bands competition once. We called ourselves 1.21 Gigawatts

+10 cool points to everyone who appreciates the reference.

A place common to all will be maintained by none. A religion common to all is perhaps not much different.

Renee Obsidianwords
High Level DonorModeratorRRS local affiliate
Renee Obsidianwords's picture
User is offlineOffline
butterbattle wrote:I played

butterbattle wrote:

I played the violin for a number of years. I can sing pretty good.....I think. I wish I could play the guitar.

I need a partner to bring back the joy of playing this piece  Smiling

BACH double violin concerto

...except better then the 2 in the video play 

Slowly building a blog at ~

http://obsidianwords.wordpress.com/

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Of course not - I'm a

Of course not - I'm a drummer. Smiling

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly wrote:Of course not

jcgadfly wrote:

Okay, but are you a Neil Peart/Dave Weckl drummer or a Steve Gadd/John Bonham drummer?

spike.barnett
Superfan
spike.barnett's picture
User is offlineOffline
Archeopteryx wrote:+10 cool

Archeopteryx wrote:

+10 cool points to everyone who appreciates the reference.

1.21 gigawatts? 1.21 gigawatts? Great Scott!

After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him.

The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.
MySpace

peterweal
peterweal's picture
User is offlineOffline
I played piano, guitar and

I played piano, guitar and trumpet when I was younger but these days its just guitar. Been in bands since the late 80's.

My current band does originals under 'Severed Reign' and we sometimes do an Iron Maiden tribute under the name '2 Minutes To Maiden'.

There are some vids on Youtube. Some good....some not so.

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
HisWillness wrote:jcgadfly

HisWillness wrote:

jcgadfly wrote:

Okay, but are you a Neil Peart/Dave Weckl drummer or a Steve Gadd/John Bonham drummer?

More of a Ringo Starr type with some Peter Erskine thrown in.

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly wrote:HisWillness

jcgadfly wrote:

HisWillness wrote:

Okay. Whew! I thought we were going to have to have the awkward, "you know Neil Peart is indistinguishable from a drum machine, right?" discussion. I have trouble with drummers who believe wanking is more important than groove.

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline

HisWillness wrote:

jcgadfly wrote:

HisWillness wrote:

Okay. Whew! I thought we were going to have to have the awkward, "you know Neil Peart is indistinguishable from a drum machine, right?" discussion. I have trouble with drummers who believe wanking is more important than groove.

Chops don't mean all that much if you can't help the band.

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly wrote:Chops don't

jcgadfly wrote:

Amen.

And you said you weren't a musician. Pff.

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
Renee Obsidianwords wrote:I

Renee Obsidianwords wrote:

I need a partner to bring back the joy of playing this piece  Smiling

BACH double violin concerto

...except better then the 2 in the video play 

Ugh, I hate to break it to you, but I doubt I could play it better than the guy in the video (even though his posture was grotestue, and he crashed on all the difficult parts). Sorry.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
User is offlineOffline
HisWillness wrote:Okay.

HisWillness wrote:
Okay. Whew! I thought we were going to have to have the awkward, "you know Neil Peart is indistinguishable from a drum machine, right?" discussion.

Will, I find people who try that to just be annoying. Also, rather uninformed on the equipment that Rush uses. Really, what do you expect when Geddy Lee uses sequencers, especially on the older material and half of Peart's rig is electronic?

Rick Allen, on the other hand...

As for me, I play Bass and Keyboards. I had a band for a few years but I finally decided that I want to just work on my own at home for the time being after dealing with all of the bullshit that one has to deal with. Not the least of which was a guitarist from hell who I ended up replacing with another one who was just as bad but in different ways and a drug addicted drummer.

I suppose that it is possible that I could do a band again one day but I would do so only going in with my eyes open for the hell that I have been through.

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
Answers in Gene Simmons

Answers in Gene Simmons wrote:
Will, I find people who try that to just be annoying. Also, rather uninformed on the equipment that Rush uses. Really, what do you expect when Geddy Lee uses sequencers, especially on the older material and half of Peart's rig is electronic?

I expect Neil Peart to suck as he has always sucked, with the monumental suckage that is his sucky legacy. It is not merely wanking, a la Dave Weckl, but achieves a kind of robotic wankery completely devoid of groove.

See, someone like Tom Brechtline is a fairly unknown, but amazing drummer who has both chops and groove. These guys are all over LA and Nashville, but who do you hear most hailed as a "good drummer"? Fucking Neil Peart, who sucks compared to those session guys. It's like listening to guitarists go on about Yngwie Malmsteen. Yes, he's very fast ... also boring ... and now I have a headache. Thanks.

Answers in Gene Simmons wrote:
As for me, I play Bass and Keyboards. I had a band for a few years but I finally decided that I want to just work on my own at home for the time being after dealing with all of the bullshit that one has to deal with. Not the least of which was a guitarist from hell who I ended up replacing with another one who was just as bad but in different ways and a drug addicted drummer.

OMG, you're Sting!

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline

HisWillness wrote:

jcgadfly wrote:

Amen.

And you said you weren't a musician. Pff.

As a drummer, I feel entitled to make drummer jokes Smiling

— George Carlin

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly wrote:As a drummer,

jcgadfly wrote:

What do you call a jazz drummer without a girlfriend?

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline

HisWillness wrote:

jcgadfly wrote:

What I damn near was before I got married - Homeless.

— George Carlin

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Q: What's the difference

Q: What's the difference between a large pizza and a drummer?

A: A large pizza can feed a family of four.

Q: What did the drummer get on his SATs?

A: Drool.

Q: What can you do to make a drummer's car more aerodynamic?

A: Take the Dominoes sign off the roof.

Of course... at band practice, I used to enjoy saying this just loud enough for the drummer to hear when he came in late for the fifth practice in a row...  "Ok... the musicians are all here.  Where's the drummer?"

Q: How do you get a guitarist to turn down his amp?

A: Put sheet music in front of him.

Q: What do you call a French Horn player with a business card?

A: An optimist.

Q: How many sopranos does it take to change a light bulb?

A: One.  She just holds on and the world revolves around her.

Q: Why is a bassoon better than an oboe?

A: A bassoon burns longer.

Since we're all musicians here...

Q: What do you call two flutes playing in unison?

A: A half step.

Alternatively...

Q: What do you call two flutes playing in unison?

A: The world may never know...

Q: What's the difference between a government bond and a guitar player?

A: The bond eventually matures and earns money.

Q: How do you make a trombone sound like a french horn?

A: Stick your fist in the end and play a bunch of wrong notes.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

pablotar
pablotar's picture
User is offlineOffline
HisWillness wrote: Okay, but

HisWillness wrote:

All of the above here.

I hate to admit it but Dave Weckl is the reason I started playing drums; I went to a Chick Corea show in the late eighties (I was a guitar player then) and I thought "I want to do that!".

Ahh, I feel better now, my dark secret's out.

Then I really got into Billy Cobham,  Bill Bruford, Trilok Gurtu, Terry Bozzio,Jack De Johnette and

Steve Gadd and I actually studied Peter Erskine's video tape for a while(I still have that somewhere).

These days in my old age(39) I think I've settled down a bit and I think understand the drummers job although I still overindulge and  try to do the Early Stewart Copeland thing even though I probably sound nothing like that.

I also play bass, guitar and a little keys. I am mostly self taught although I took a couple of semesters of music theory in college.

I've played in several bands over the last 20 years(Drums, Guitar, keys and and instrument I call the Pablotar) and done countless bar gigs.

I have a soundproof trailer I call the Trailer o' Doom where my imaginary band (me)plays.

I like the sound of guitar feedback. I think it's always appropriate. I'm not kidding

I can't sing to save my life.

I'll try to post some rough mixes of my new stuff soon.

Enough about me.

Willness, smooth vocals you got going on there! Is that you playing the piano?

P.

Eden had a 25% murder rate and incest was rampant.

pablotar
pablotar's picture
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly wrote:HisWillness

jcgadfly wrote:

HisWillness wrote:

jcgadfly wrote:

What I damn near was before I got married - Homeless.

That joke hits a little too close to home as my wife is the one with the real job.

Eden had a 25% murder rate and incest was rampant.

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
pablotar wrote:Is that you

pablotar wrote:
Is that you playing the piano?

It took me a second to figure out what you meant. The GarageBand track was something I threw together out of mis-matched GarageBand samples. I find that the best use of GarageBand is for comedy. So no, that wasn't me playing the piano, they were just yanked from the list of samples.

But thanks about the vocals. It's actually cheating to layer them like that, because with enough layers, it sounds smoother than the individual vocal tracks actually are.

And of course, when I say "vocal track", I mean "recording on an iMac speaker"

Awelton85
Superfan
Awelton85's picture
User is offlineOffline
I have played bass for half

I have played bass for half of my life, guitar for a few years and banjo just for the hell of it. If I learned to play drums and had 10 times more talent, I could be Bela Fleck AND the Flecktones...

"So far as I can remember, there is not one word in the Gospels in praise of intelligence." - Bertrand Russell

Stewie: Yay and God said to Abraham, "you will kill your son, Issak", and Abraham said, I can't hear you, you'll have to speak into the microphone." "Oh I'm sorry, Is this better? Check, check, check... Jerry, pull the high end out, I'm still getting some hiss back here."

MichaelMcF
Science Freak
MichaelMcF's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm a singer and I used to

I'm a singer and I used to play the trumpet, but haven't picked it up in a few years... although now I feel I should.  I'm actually singing at the moment with the City of Glasgow Chorus Smiling  My friends take great delight in pointing out my "hypocrisy" of being an atheist and enjoying singing sacred pieces.. like the Messiah we just performed at the weekend.

M

Forget Jesus, the stars died so that you could be here
- Lawrence Krauss

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote:   Q:

Hambydammit wrote:

Q: Why is a bassoon better than an oboe?

A: A bassoon burns longer.

What is a burning oboe good for?
Setting a bassoon on fire.

What kind of microphone works best for an oboe in a live band?
A cordless with a dead battery.

How many contrabass clarinetists can you fit into a phone both?
Both of them.

How do you get a guitarist to play slower?
Put music in front of him.

What do you throw a drowning guitar player?
His amp.

What do you get when you play New Age music backwards?
New Age music.

Why are harps like elderly parents?
Both are unforgiving and hard to get into and out of cars.

Why do sax players prefer the alto sax to the soprano sax?
The soprano sax doesn't have a place to put your beer?

What is brown and black and looks good on a music critic?
A Doberman!

How do you get a music critic out of a tree?
Cut the rope.

What's the difference between a fiddle and a violin?
A fiddle has beer stains.

What's the difference between the violin section and the viola section of an orchestra?
About half a measure.

Who makes the best Viola mutes?
Smith & Wesson.

What's the difference between God and a conductor?
God knows He's not a conductor.

Did you hear about the time the bass player locked his keys in the car?
It took two hours to get the drummer out.

What sentence do drummers use the least?
"Hey guys, why don't we try one of my songs?

What's the first thing drummers do in the morning?
Walk home.

The PLO has taken 90 accordion players hostage.
If their demands aren't met, they'll release one every hour.

Musicians and light bulbs:

How many clarinetists does it take to change a light bulb?
Only one, but he'll go through a whole box of bulbs before he finds just the right one.

How many altos does it take to change a light bulb?
None, because they cannot reach it.

How many lead guitarists does it take to change a light bulb?
None, they just steal somebody else's light.

How many blue grass musicians does it take to change a light bulb?
Three, one to change the bulb and two to complain that it's electric.

How many folk musicians does it take to change a light bulb?
Four, one to put in the new bulb and three to sing about how good the old one was.

How many drummers does it take to change a light bulb?
"What? Oh, wow! Is it like dark, man?"

How many sound techs does it take to change a light bulb?
"Hey, I just do sound."

How many union stagehands does it take to change a light bulb?
Thirty five. "YOU GOTTA PROBLEM WITH THAT?"

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
AGS, I like your style

AGS, I like your style

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
My favorite drum joke:Two

My favorite drum joke:

Two salesmen are in a bar. One says to the other, "I bet you I can relate to anyone in this bar, I'm such a good salesman." The other replies, "You think so, huh? Well, sure. But I pick the guys." "Ok," says the first, "you're on."

The other grabs the guy sitting at the table next to them and tells the first salesman, "Here, this one." This first subject is dressed in a three-piece suit and is carrying Wall Street Week. The salesman asks him, "What's your IQ?" "190." So they chat for a while about the stock market, particle physics, and Non-Euclidean geometry.

"Ok," says the other salesman, "That was pretty good, but you still have two to go." He looks around and grabs a guy dressed in jeans, a tee-shirt, and a baseball cap worn backwards. The salesman asks him "What's you're IQ?" "About 100." So THEY chat for a while about baseball, cars, and the various women in the bar.

"Fine," says the other salesman, "But there's still one to go." He goes to the back of the bar and grabs a really scummy looking guy in a muscle shirt and shorts. The salesman asks him "What's your IQ?"

"About 60."

"What kind of sticks do you use?"

— George Carlin

Screwhead
User is offlineOffline
 I played guitar and bass

I played guitar and bass for a while.. Always tried to get a band going but nothing ever worked out, so I started trying to fill in for a band by learning to make music with the computer (way back in 96 using Impulse Tracker).. All the drum samples I could find though were for electronic music, and didn't sound right trying to get the sound I wanted (Marilyn Manson/NIN/Korn/Type O Negative influenced metal), so I started converting all my guitar riffs to synths in an attempt to get something that worked..

7 years ago I started going to raves and stopped playing guitar, and then two years later I got turntables and started DJing.. Now I've got a good computer and have come back full circle and have started playing guitar again in hopes that now I can finally put that industrial-metal album together..

I've got a ton of mixes up online.. I'm mostly into Drum and Bass, but I've also been playing a lot of Dubstep these days, and like a whole bunch of other stuff from hard acid to bigbeats to hiphop and hardcore.. I love remixes and mashups of stuff that you just wouldn't expect to go together..

http://www.myspace.com/screwhead for anyone interested in giving my mixes a listen!