And in the Discussion, I Fit Where?

smartypants
Superfan
smartypants's picture
User is offlineOffline
And in the Discussion, I Fit Where?

Hey all,

So I consider myself a Deist in that I believe there is a higher power. For me, that higher power is the massive, near-infinite, incomprehensible (ultimately, by any life-form in this reality) mathematical formula that guides the physical laws of this universe. It's not a granddaddy in the sky, but a force that guides the way this universe has composed itself. My belief system also allows for the supernatural, in that I've had experiences that cannot be explained away by current science, though I feel, if they weren't stigmatized and were analyzed, they could be explained by science. I have also had minimal experience with things like telepathy and telekinesis, which I believe can also be explained by (potentially testable) electro-magnetic phenomena and the powers of the human mind, but which i fear contribute to the illusion of a "God." I won't go on and on.

Problem is, I have a hard time knowing where I fit into this discussion. Should I stay out of the forums that say "No Theists?" I find myself unable to address questions posed to theists because the questions often assume premises to which I don't hold.

Honestly asking...feedback encouraged.

Ryan

Nordmann
atheist
Nordmann's picture
User is offlineOffline
smartypants wrote:LOL This

smartypants wrote:

LOL This article is supposed to prove that stress isn't a contributing factor to people developing ulcers? Totally irrelevant.

No. It's an old news article from when the research in question was universally acknowledged through the awarding of a Nobel Prize for its importance in advancing understanding of ulcers beyond previously vague attributions to physiological reasons (which you still seemingly believe outweigh the research) and, more to the point, advanced tremendously our understanding of the pathophysiological capabilities of helicobacter pylori.

But wasn't it obvious it was a news article? After all, it had BBC News written over all it.

More importantly - does this tendency to ignore (and laughingly dismiss) opportunities to assimilate important and relevant data in order to persevere with disproven beliefs permeate your perception of reality? If it does then you're a model religionist in the true meaning of the term. The compunction to feel bound to outdated doctrine makes for a very religious person, but a lousy scientist.

Congratualtions, so, on having found your vocation in life, even if its of not the slightest benefit to anyone around you.

Oh - and please don't ever become a doctor, not mine at least.    

I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
smartypants wrote:That

smartypants wrote:
That "objective, reliable organization" is exactly what I consider to be the "higher power" in the universe--as much as that phrasing has caused problems here.

If your "higher power" is the reality that physical laws are observed to be coherent and universal, then it's simply semantics. Considering this point, why do you even label it a "higher power?" How is it significant? After all, adherents to virtually every ideology accept that physical laws are observed to be uniform.

Or, perhaps, what you meant was that this observation is evidence for a higher power, like a fine-tuning argument?

smartypants wrote:
What I'm saying is that the person with the broken leg--if they were, in fact, afflicted--might believe they were healed for a very specific and explainable reason.

Yes, Yahweh wanted her leg to be healed. Thus, the Lord spoke, and it was so. Voila! Alternatively, she could have been a part of the con-job/miracle. 

smartypants wrote:
The human brain might have a lot more power than we recognize, and "belief" might be the catalyst for those powers. Again, I think what the human brain can do might be testable, but I don't have the credible research to back it up, unfortunately, so I'm just theorizing.

Well, basically, you are free to roam the market of ideas, but if you don't have objective evidence, then you shouldn't expect neuroscientists to discard our current knowledge in favor of such things.

smartypants wrote:
Yes you would have written it. Thinking of yourself as some kind of scientific expert gives you a boner. That's cool.

Excuse me? How do you know that?

smartypants wrote:
I read your post, but it was more or less meaningless to me because you lack the ability to communicate with the people you're addressing. Only people with true intelligence can assess the audience they're addressing and create the appropriate rhetoric, so don't feel bad. Having studied Linguistics steadily for the past decade and a half, I can assure you that your communication skills are seriously lacking. I'm sure in your limited little circle of academic friends find you very eloquent.

Okay, now you're being an ass. 

I understood most of DG's post, and my training in linguistics extends as far as a high school AP class. Therefore, if you have been studying linguistics steadily for the past 15 years, then your inability to comprehend DG's post must be due to a lack of scientific training, not because his "communication skills are seriously lacking." Do you know what scalars and vectors are? Do you know what the variables in "F=ma" represent? But, heck, I'm probably just chipping at the tip of the iceberg. I highly doubt that you've even studied linguistics for five years, for your posts resemble those of an intelligent high school grad, just like mine, not a linguist. Aside from that, if you didn't understand DG's post, why aren't you asking him to clarify the parts you didn't understand? Why aren't you even responding to it? When you entered this thread, it appeared like your goal was to communicate with us and understand our perspective. Right now though, it feels like your goal is to conquer the dogmatic atheists with the traditional debate tactic of ignoring rebuttals and hurling insults.

Lower the walls and communicate, damn it.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

Magus
High Level DonorModerator
Magus's picture
User is offlineOffline
smartypants wrote:Yes you

smartypants wrote:

Yes you would have written it. Thinking of yourself as some kind of scientific expert gives you a boner. That's cool. I read your post, but it was more or less meaningless to me because you lack the ability to communicate with the people you're addressing. Only people with true intelligence can assess the audience they're addressing and create the appropriate rhetoric, so don't feel bad. Having studied Linguistics steadily for the past decade and a half, I can assure you that your communication skills are seriously lacking. I'm sure in your limited little circle of academic friends find you very eloquent.

Oh the irony...

So when every single person here is asking you for clarification of your points and you ignore or respond in a non productive manner you are "assessing the audience"?  For someone who clearly studied Linguistics steadily for the past decade, I don't understand how you missed this..

Its OK to speculate, but its not OK to base any beliefs on said speculation.

Sounds made up...
Agnostic Atheist
No, I am not angry at your imaginary friends or enemies.

Thomathy
Superfan
Thomathy's picture
User is offlineOffline
smartypants wrote:Having

smartypants wrote:
Having studied Linguistics steadily for the past decade and a half, I can assure you that your communication skills are seriously lacking.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  - Wait, did I get all the 'H's and 'A's in the right spot?  Does that constitute a run-on sentence?  Is it a sentence at all?  Maybe there are too many points of exclamation?  Well, if that's so it's just that I find it that funny.  So funny that I needed a run-on laugh and too much punctuation to express it.  'Hope you understand how rich this is.  It's not too veiled, it is?

BigUniverse wrote,

"Well the things that happen less often are more likely to be the result of the supper natural. A thing like loosing my keys in the morning is not likely supper natural, but finding a thousand dollars or meeting a celebrity might be."

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
Thomathy wrote:smartypants

Thomathy wrote:

smartypants wrote:
Having studied Linguistics steadily for the past decade and a half, I can assure you that your communication skills are seriously lacking.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  - Wait, did I get all the 'H's and 'A's in the right spot?  Does that constitute a run-on sentence?  Is it a sentence at all?  Maybe there are too many points of exclamation?  Well, if that's so it's just that I find it that funny.  So funny that I needed a run-on laugh and too much punctuation to express it.  'Hope you understand how rich this is.  It's not too veiled, it is?

Ugh, what took you so long? I was dying, waiting for you to come in once he mentioned linguistics (sorry, Linguistics) and communication skills all in one sentence.

Is there such a thing as a run-on onomatopoeia? Naw. Oh, but you used a hyphen instead of an em dash there. Tisk.

(snicker)

Saint Will: no gyration without funkstification.
fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

Thomathy
Superfan
Thomathy's picture
User is offlineOffline
Well I had stopped following

Well I had stopped following this thread after the first page but, because I like to click on everything recent in the super tracker to keep things neat I came back to it.  I had an urge to look at the last page of this thread in case something interesting had happened.  Whoa-boy!  Did it ever!

Anyhow, yes, you can have a run-on onomatopoeia: any break for air would constitute a form of punctuation, so a person dieing after a good, long laugh is a good indication that a run-on onomatopoeia has happened.  Any good editor would take time then to correct the error ...  Incidentally, I'm still alive.

(Don't bust my ass over the hyphen, this text editor really is teh sux.)

BigUniverse wrote,

"Well the things that happen less often are more likely to be the result of the supper natural. A thing like loosing my keys in the morning is not likely supper natural, but finding a thousand dollars or meeting a celebrity might be."

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Thomathy wrote:smartypants

Thomathy wrote:

smartypants wrote:

I think he was refering to spelling/grammar Mr. Smartypants

c wat i did thar?

Luminon
SuperfanTheist
Luminon's picture
User is offlineOffline
Topher wrote:Luminon

Topher wrote:

Luminon wrote:
Do you know anything about rays, sub-rays, permanent atoms, atman, buddhi, manas, chohans, devas, monads, nadis, embodiment, overshadowing, occult laws, axioms, and so on?

Can you define each of these terms.

Some of these terms are briefly described here, in the glossary.
But a serious study would require to read an introductory book like Ageless Wisdom Teaching, which is freely available online here. There are manye books recommended as a further reading, but the short introductory book should be more than enough for you, for now. Feel free to believe only of that which you know or feel that is true, the author also emphasizes that audience's rule on his lectures. The purpose is to make this known to interested people, whether they believe it or not. You can take it as a fiction, if you want.

HisWillness wrote:
Okay, sorry ... I just get a little rage, because ... see, when you've seen how science works to avoid these kinds of "controversies" by putting the empirical data first, and communicating as specifically and clearly as possible, it's all so clear. It's not "narrow" to ask for details about observation. It's being specific, and through being specific, we can actually know stuff ... which is good.
Yes, I know how the science is supposed to work, the problem is, that the scientists (at least some of the local ones) think that they can just ignore people, that they can judge them publically without even trying to get known with their work. For example, the man I mentioned some time ago, who deciphered the WOW signal, contacted all local authorities he could. It's almost unbelievable, how Doctors,  Professors, Docents and Engineers (often working at the star observatories) reacted. Mildly said, with closed-mindedness, ridiculing, ignoring, pride, and so on, they treated that man like a piece of junk. And so they act in media, with their condescending tone. So it is in this rotten republic, this is my everyday reality. I hope that in other states the situation is better. But obviously, one doesn't have to be a decent person, to be a scientist.

HisWillness wrote:
How exactly does one measure "bioenergy"?
By being aware of it. Otherwise, there is Egely wheel Vitality meter, but I have no testimony on how well it works. It's cheaper to make a simple psi-wheel.
But the sensitivity can be taught or inborn (my case) and then trained. It is a sensitivity of etheric body, which underlies the nervous and endocrine system. This happens sooner or later if the person does Transmission Meditation. The energies are then perceived (for example) as a streams and pressure flowing and pulsating through head, spine, forehead, top of the head, and so on. It is distinct from heartbeat and blood flow. This is not an illusion of mind, it is possible to get hurt or exhaust yourself if you handle the energies incorrectly. The feeling may be then like something between a ganja bad trip and hangover, lasting for a day or several hours at least. It has a direct effect on the nerve and endocrine system. Breathing exercises are also very powerful way to invoke the bioenergy. It may be a normal, slow breathing, (not inducing hyperoxia or hypoxia) but combined with a focused mind it's powerful and potentially dangerous, if done ignorantly.

Beings who deserve worship don't demand it. Beings who demand worship don't deserve it.

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
Luminon wrote:HisWillness

Luminon wrote:
HisWillness wrote:
By being aware of it.

I'm aware that you're delusional. Do you think that's enough to make the statement "Luminon is delusional" true?

fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
pauljohntheskeptic's picture
User is offlineOffline
Luminon wrote:HisWillness

Luminon wrote:

HisWillness wrote:
By being aware of it. Otherwise, there is Egely wheel Vitality meter, but I have no testimony on how well it works. It's cheaper to make a simple psi-wheel.

Is there some device I can design for you that will make me huge profits to measure this bioenergy? I have about 30 years of analog electronics design experience including high voltage AC power sources.  I think I could design a strange contrapation that would appear to measure something, though it might only be the air pressure. Or we could use high voltage in an array that would create a field. We could attach a fancy display and a button you hold down to measure the field energy emitted, admittedly by local EMI sources but your suckers wouldn't know that and you could sell several of them. You could sell this to all the believers at a huge markup from what you purchase from me. Interested?

"God is omnipotent, omniscient, omnibenevolent, - it says so right here on the label. If you have a mind capable of believing all three of these divine attributes simultaneously, I have a wonderful bargain for you. No checks please. Cash and in small bills." - Robert A Heinlein.

Luminon
SuperfanTheist
Luminon's picture
User is offlineOffline
pauljohntheskeptic wrote:Is

pauljohntheskeptic wrote:

Is there some device I can design for you that will make me huge profits to measure this bioenergy? I have about 30 years of analog electronics design experience including high voltage AC power sources.  I think I could design a strange contrapation that would appear to measure something, though it might only be the air pressure. Or we could use high voltage in an array that would create a field. We could attach a fancy display and a button you hold down to measure the field energy emitted, admittedly by local EMI sources but your suckers wouldn't know that and you could sell several of them. You could sell this to all the believers at a huge markup from what you purchase from me. Interested?

I'm more interested in knowledge of that area, than in money made by a scam. Anyway, "we suckers" would recognize that very easily. We're not believers, we're practitioners. Well, if you would do that, I'd try on it everything I know and can do with bioenergy, and if the device wouldn't react accordingly, I'd suggest you try something else.
You misunderstood how the Egely wheel works. All the electronics there measures only a speed of the rotating wheel, thus it has a simple construction to show people that there's no engine moving the wheel. The wheel itself is specially mounted with minimal friction and isolated against heat or similar things which might cause it to rotate. And yet it rotates. It's just a better version of a paper cylinder on a needle. Of course, every user of such a thing must verify that it is not affected by heat, breath, vibrations of table, and so on.

But it would be useful to make a camera with adjustable wavelength of light it can record. According to an information which I don't quite understand, there are "octaves" of light. I guess that the octave is an equivalent of our visible spectrum, just shifted plus or minus into ultraviolet or infrared. I would need something which can go four or five octaves into the ultraviolet light, whatever it means. In this area of spectrum, there should be recorded a someone's moment of death. What will it record? It's diffcult to tell in advance, but...
It was proven, that a body in the moment of death loses an exactly the same weight. There were many legends and stories about it, but the [url=http://lilt.ilstu.edu/kfmachin/FOI/Weight%20of%20human%20soul.htm]information

from German scientists at the Technical University in Berlin sounds reasonably. Of course, this is not a soul, nor an evidence for it. According to my information it's not like that the soul resides inside a body and then leaves it. The lost weight were actually a fine-material gas-like substances, providing a connection of consciousness to the nerve system.

Beings who deserve worship don't demand it. Beings who demand worship don't deserve it.

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
pauljohntheskeptic wrote:Is

Is there some device I can design for you that will make me huge profits to measure this bioenergy?

Wow, did L. Ron Hubbard ever beat you to that one.

pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
User is offlineOffline
Luminon wrote: You

Luminon wrote:

You misunderstood how the Egely wheel works. All the electronics there measures only a speed of the rotating wheel, thus it has a simple construction to show people that there's no engine moving the wheel. The wheel itself is specially mounted with minimal friction and isolated against heat or similar things which might cause it to rotate. And yet it rotates. It's just a better version of a paper cylinder on a needle. Of course, every user of such a thing must verify that it is not affected by heat, breath, vibrations of table, and so on.

No, I don't misunderstand at all. As an American capitalist pig in the world's second oldest profession I completely I understand and was looking for a way to cash in as well.

The following is from August 8,2003 newsletter from James Randi at  http://www.randi.org/jr/080803.html

Quote:
Well, I know "Dr." George Egely from past experience. All of Hungary knows him, from his pompous declarations of magical devices and super-science. Just read this excerpt from his description of the "Wheel Vitality Meter" that he peddles for $159.95:

You can use this small, handy instrument just for fun or to obtain objective measurements of your own life energy. Without even touching it, you can measure for yourself how your personal environment, your activities and your lifestyle influence your day to day vitality level. . . . The key component is a 70 mm wheel that rotates on a delicate pivot fueled by your life energy. Simply remove the plastic cover and cup one of your hands around the vitality meter, surrounding it as completely as possible with your fingers and palm. The wheel will rotate as you concentrate.

Folks, this is a very old stunt, used by carnival hucksters for generations to convince gullible victims that "energies" are being demonstrated. That little wheel will spin around under any influence, but not if it's carefully shielded from outside drafts or the user's breath. This is just so typical of such quackery, and it's gobbled up eagerly by the faithful.

Luminon wrote:

But it would be useful to make a camera with adjustable wavelength of light it can record. According to an information which I don't quite understand, there are "octaves" of light. I guess that the octave is an equivalent of our visible spectrum, just shifted plus or minus into ultraviolet or infrared. I would need something which can go four or five octaves into the ultraviolet light, whatever it means. In this area of spectrum, there should be recorded a someone's moment of death. What will it record? It's diffcult to tell in advance, but...
It was proven, that a body in the moment of death loses an exactly the same weight. There were many legends and stories about it, but the [url=http://lilt.ilstu.edu/kfmachin/FOI/Weight%20of%20human%20soul.htm]information

from German scientists at the Technical University in Berlin sounds reasonably. Of course, this is not a soul, nor an evidence for it. According to my information it's not like that the soul resides inside a body and then leaves it. The lost weight were actually a fine-material gas-like substances, providing a connection of consciousness to the nerve system.

Probably one can record EMI from the defibrillator and other electronic equipment in use, good luck filtering it all out. The only way you can do any meaningful tests is to do so in a completely shielded EMI screen test room, think the movie Enemy of the State. The room would have to be completely cut off and shielded with grounded copper.As part of my previous employment I was extensively involved in EMI and EMC testing. All of your tests are skewed by outside effects from everything from TV signals to your cell phones. Even quartz electric watches will transmit. So when this kind of testing has been done extensively come back with some real scientific data. By the way, be prepared to pay $5,000 a day minimum for use of a certified EMI screen room.

See this link to learn more about EMI.

http://www.ece.cmu.edu/~koopman/des_s99/environment/

"God is omnipotent, omniscient, omnibenevolent, - it says so right here on the label. If you have a mind capable of believing all three of these divine attributes simultaneously, I have a wonderful bargain for you. No checks please. Cash and in small bills." - Robert A Heinlein.

Tapey
atheist
Tapey's picture
User is offlineOffline
smartypants wrote:Tapey

smartypants wrote:

Tapey wrote:

1)How do you know it exists?

2)How are these people chosen, is it genetic?

3)Why hasn't one of these people won the 1 million dollar prize from the amazing Randy?

4)Why hasn't this energy cured any diseases?

Just a few basic things that would be easy to answer if it was real. I'm sure scientists would be thrilled if it were real, think of the possiblities for them.

Common answers answers

1) I have seen it ( you have been most likely tricked)

2)I don't know 

3) Doesn't need the money ( then why over charge)

4) It has but science doesn't regconise it. (If something cured cancer,  a not to uncommon claim, do you really think it would go unrecognised?)

1) I've experienced it countless times, which is not that different from your common answer.

2) Everyone has it, but western culture has favored the suppression of it in recent generations.

3) See #2. Plus a good deal of the people who have tapped into it probably realize there are more important things to worry about then the almighty dollar.

4) It may not be a cure-all solution, but it's been well documented that attitude affects health. Ulcers caused by stress is the perfect example.

R

So these people don't know a good charity they could donate it to? If I didn't want the money i would still claim and donate it to AIDs research or something of that like. I don't need the money just doesn't cut it. If they don't need the money why charge a  fortune for all this fuzzy mind body connection stuff? And about health, its a placebo effect. I would think sugar pills would do the trick just as well.

Whatever goes upon two legs is an enemy.
Whatever goes upon four legs, or has wings, is a friend.
No animal shall wear clothes.
No animal shall sleep in a bed.
No animal shall drink alcohol.
No animal shall kill any other animal.
All animals are equal.

deludedgod
Rational VIP!ScientistDeluded God
deludedgod's picture
User is offlineOffline
The underlying problem with

The underlying problem with postulating some vague "vital energies" or something similar as a purported explanation for consciousness or biological life in general is that it completely lacks explanatory power. Fundamentally, the error lies in the fact that such gullible people are postulating something simple and fundamental like a supposed "vital essence" as the solution to a very complicated problem. As an illustration, the problem of how biology relates the chemistry has now been completed cracked. But prior to its cracking there were many simpletons (indeed, perhaps there still are) who subscribed to the notion that biology had an "animus" or a "life essence". Now compare that supposed "explanation" to the real one, which is outlined by me in the link below, took over 35,000 words (and still is not detailed enough), and is the product of 30 years of endless toil by a generation of biologists:

The Third Revolution

At the root, therefore, I suspect this problem arises from the penchant of morons for simplistic and easy to understand explanations where in fact cutting edge research detailing highly complex phenomena are necessary. To invoke some vague substance as a fix-all solution to a vast problem like how biology relates to chemistry (or how consciousness works) is indicative of vast stupidity. For, as I have detailed exhaustingly above, we are not discussing phenomena that can be explained away by invoking magical substances with magical properties, but vast systems of complex interactions between well-detailed and well-studied objects in empirical reality. It is absolutely no coincidence that all research in science ever which ever gave us useful results proceeds from this understanding. Just read my signature.

It is no coincidence that all fruitful research into consciousness and the human brain comes from serious neuroscientists who understand that the process they are trying to assemble is a consequence entirely of the brain that they study, nor is it a coincidence that the greatest revolution in the history of biology (the one detailed above in the link) was forged because the vast number of researchers who contributed and still contribute to it understand that biology is purely a consequence of chemistry, and that there is no "bioenergy" or "life essence".

"Physical reality” isn’t some arbitrary demarcation. It is defined in terms of what we can systematically investigate, directly or not, by means of our senses. It is preposterous to assert that the process of systematic scientific reasoning arbitrarily excludes “non-physical explanations” because the very notion of “non-physical explanation” is contradictory.

-Me

Books about atheism

Luminon
SuperfanTheist
Luminon's picture
User is offlineOffline
deludedgod wrote:The Third

deludedgod wrote:

The Third Revolution

Fascinating, and exhausting. No, I don't argue with that. This is how the physical body works. I only say that the body (for example, mine) can also react on stimuli which are not yet scientifically described.

deludedgod wrote:
At the root, therefore, I suspect this problem arises from the penchant of morons for simplistic and easy to understand explanations where in fact cutting edge research detailing highly complex phenomena are necessary. To invoke some vague substance as a fix-all solution to a vast problem like how biology relates to chemistry (or how consciousness works) is indicative of vast stupidity. For, as I have detailed exhaustingly above, we are not discussing phenomena that can be explained away by invoking magical substances with magical properties, but vast systems of complex interactions between well-detailed and well-studied objects in empirical reality. It is absolutely no coincidence that all research in science ever which ever gave us useful results proceeds from this understanding. Just read my signature.
I hope that nobody claims that metaphorical invoking a vague substance has an explanatory power. But if we in fact literally 'invoke' that substance (which I do just out of boredom in most of my waking time) and we know it very vaguely, then we want to know what it is and how it is related to the biologic life as you just defined. There is a difference between knowing that something exists, and knowing what it is in scientific terms. These notions can both exist independently.

deludedgod wrote:
  It is no coincidence that all fruitful research into consciousness and the human brain comes from serious neuroscientists who understand that the process they are trying to assemble is a consequence entirely of the brain that they study, nor is it a coincidence that the greatest revolution in the history of biology (the one detailed above in the link) was forged because the vast number of researchers who contributed and still contribute to it understand that biology is purely a consequence of chemistry, and that there is no "bioenergy" or "life essence".
Well, again, the question arises how this so well understood biology (and neuroscience in particular) can find an explanation for the "bioenergy", which is a part of my everyday conscious experience. I perceive it in many ways and qualities, and I'm not the only one. By explanation, I mean something that will give something to build on, for example, how to awaken this kind of perception in more of other people. So far, the manipulation with "bioenergy" (which is in "", because it's also commonly present outside of me as a biologic organism) allows me to affect my blood flow, consciousness, brain activity, and have a vast number of very interesting observations of how it behaves under various circumstances. Obviously, you didn't study that phenomenon because you didn't have an opportunity. This is why I use the esoteric teachings to gain more insight in it, and it works, but it's not the same kind of explanation as in scientific terms. This would need to get my head into a brain scanner (like fMRI) and see which areas are active and how, while I perform a various, distinct procedures with "bioenergy".

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
Luminon wrote:Well, again,

Luminon wrote:
Well, again, the question arises how this so well understood biology (and neuroscience in particular) can find an explanation for the "bioenergy", which is a part of my everyday conscious experience. I perceive it in many ways and qualities, and I'm not the only one. By explanation, I mean something that will give something to build on, for example, how to awaken this kind of perception in more of other people.

The main problem is that you have consistently failed to show it actually exists. If you could do that, there might be something to study. Just because you believe it to be part of your everyday conscious experience doesn't mean it's real.

Luminon wrote:
So far, the manipulation with "bioenergy" (which is in "", because it's also commonly present outside of me as a biologic organism) allows me to affect my blood flow, consciousness, brain activity, and have a vast number of very interesting observations of how it behaves under various circumstances.

Those things are all possible with biofeedback training. That doesn't leave the realm of neuroscience, nor does it involve "bio-energy", which it is safe to say does not exist.

Luminon wrote:
Obviously, you didn't study that phenomenon because you didn't have an opportunity. This is why I use the esoteric teachings ...

It's just not fair to compare "esoteric teaching" with a real epistemology like the biological sciences. I don't mind if you call it mysticism, but saying that bio-energy (or whatever you want to call it) is a measurable quantity that we just haven't measured yet is silly. It's more likely that you're experiencing something that doesn't require bio-energy in the explanation.

Nordmann
atheist
Nordmann's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:It's more likely that

Quote:

It's more likely that you're experiencing something that doesn't require bio-energy in the explanation.

Or even an explanation, at least based on the parameters defining the phenomenon so far described by the protagonist.

Luminon has yet to propose anything beyond subjective perceptions of subjective experience to back up any of the grandiose claims he frequently makes on behalf of physical behaviour which disproves physical laws, and even then these "experiences" serve only to explain why he might ask a question, never why he chooses the answer he does.

I could extrapolate from this that Luminon is intellectually incapable of divorcing perception from reality, or that he is uneducated in the area of identifying the intellectual tools required to divorce them. And I would be right.

But I am more inclined to extrapolate from his copious, if inane, input that Luminon is a reasonably academically proficient person who is handicapped by his social isolation, his immaturity, his requirement to express himself in a second language (which infers often bombasticity where none was intended), and above all his miseducation by people for whom he holds a high regard in what constitutes an "open" mind.

His rantings perpetually remind me of Dawkins' axiom "I am all for an open mind, but not one so open that the brain falls out".

I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
Nordmann wrote:I could

Nordmann wrote:

I could extrapolate from this that Luminon is intellectually incapable of divorcing perception from reality, or that he is uneducated in the area of identifying the intellectual tools required to divorce them. And I would be right.

Oh man that was funny to read. I had my mouth full of salad, casually reading this paragraph—"right, mm-hmm"—and the punch line nearly made me choke on vinaigrette.

peppermint
Superfan
peppermint's picture
User is offlineOffline
HisWillness

HisWillness wrote:

smartypants wrote:
Yes you would have written it. Thinking of yourself as some kind of scientific expert gives you a boner.

DG's a scientist, and you're the dick.

smartypants wrote:
Only people with true intelligence can assess the audience they're addressing and create the appropriate rhetoric, so don't feel bad.

I suppose you'd be the judge of "true intelligence", having been able to not answer my question twice.

*Our world is far more complex than the rigid structure we want to assign to it, and we will probably never fully understand it.*

"Those believers who are sophisticated enough to understand the paradox have found exciting ways to bend logic into pretzel shapes in order to defend the indefensible." - Hamby

Topher
Topher's picture
User is offlineOffline
Topher wrote:Luminon

Topher wrote:

Luminon wrote:
Do you know anything about rays, sub-rays, permanent atoms, atman, buddhi, manas, chohans, devas, monads, nadis, embodiment, overshadowing, occult laws, axioms, and so on?

Well???

"It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring" -- Carl Sagan

pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
User is offlineOffline
 Luminon, please read this

Luminon, please read this again.

deludedgod wrote:

Luminon wrote:

Well, again, the question arises how this so well understood biology (and neuroscience in particular) can find an explanation for the "bioenergy", which is a part of my everyday conscious experience. I perceive it in many ways and qualities, and I'm not the only one.

Luminon, DG just told you above there is no bioenergy.

You seem to grasp that one should be skeptical of god beliefs yet you grasp at strange occurances and make conclusions that are illogical to outside observers. In your belief of bioenergy you are no different than a theist propagating delusion as real. My point to you was most if not all of those selling gadgets and gizmos to measure PSI, bioenergy, and life essence are con-men and hucksters, read as frauds. Don't spend too much money chasing the wind as the people are mostly interested in making cash from others. You seem like a nice guy, beware of scams; which from some of your posts you seem to have already succumbed to cons. Egely wheels are a con!  My post originally to you was a April Fools joke, but you took it seriously. 

Luminon
SuperfanTheist
Luminon's picture
User is offlineOffline
Topher wrote: Topher

Topher wrote:
Topher wrote:
Luminon wrote:

Well???
You can look at the post #108 or use a searching function of your web browser.

Luminon, DG just told you above there is no bioenergy.

You seem to grasp that one should be skeptical of god beliefs yet you grasp at strange occurances and make conclusions that are illogical to outside observers. In your belief of bioenergy you are no different than a theist propagating delusion as real. My point to you was most if not all of those selling gadgets and gizmos to measure PSI, bioenergy, and life essence are con-men and hucksters, read as frauds. Don't spend too much money chasing the wind as the people are mostly interested in making cash from others. You seem like a nice guy, beware of scams; which from some of your posts you seem to have already succumbed to cons. Egely wheels are a con!  My post originally to you was a April Fools joke, but you took it seriously. 

What I see, are mainly a statements of ignorance, from people who are not aware of their chakras, etheric body and the energy which they exchange with environment, whatever it is. My awareness of these features of physical body is not a result of belief. It is not a result of anything I'd know of, it's inborn and it's a physical feeling. I had seen people with lesser or greater degree of the same kind of perception as I have, and many years of happy living with that. There is a whole sub-culture of people interested in such a things, this is why it's common for me to meet them on our cultural events. And this is why it's logical in my place to assume that it is a real phenomenon, until there is an evidence for the opposite.
I don't think it's wise to assume that such a people have a belief. There can be no belief about something I can touch any time I want. It's a physical sensation, just like any other. It's an undisputable reality for me, it sounds ridiculously when people consider it any less real than that. But what can be discussed, is actually the origin and scientific basis of that physical sensation, the mechanism of how it arises. This is why I'd like to get my brain scanned. I believe it might give some scientifically interesting results, distinct from a common brain activity.

As for the psi-wheel, about a year ago I made some experiments with that. The psi-wheel rotated in what direction I wanted, and when. Doing it was tiresome and it rotated slowly, so I didn't do it since then, but it worked. I don't know how, or if the Egely wheel works as well, I have only that one memory. The important thing is, that I checked the claim by myself and made an opinion based on it. Btw, I wouldn't spend money on Egely wheel or such a thing, I am a thrifty man from a thrifty country and from my experience, valuable things are either for free or for an appropriate price and expensive things tends to be scams or overpriced.

HisWillness wrote:
The main problem is that you have consistently failed to show it actually exists. If you could do that, there might be something to study. Just because you believe it to be part of your everyday conscious experience doesn't mean it's real.
You're like on the other side of this planet and you expect me to show you anything? Well, that's curious. But it may be evident under some kind of a brain scanning technique. It is real for my brain and my tactile nerve endings, so it has a very real effect on me, and that effect can be measured.

HisWillness wrote:
Those things are all possible with biofeedback training. That doesn't leave the realm of neuroscience, nor does it involve "bio-energy", which it is safe to say does not exist.
Yes, biofeedback training might be an answer, except of that I initially never did a biofeedback training. I already grew up like that. What I can do now (a stimulation of chakras, etc) is a stronger version of what I could do in like 4 years, or so.
It is indeed it is safe to say, that it doesn't exist, because it is what majority of people says, not necessarily because it is true. To say that it does exist is much less safe, as for the numbers of people looking at me with the WTF? look. Fortunately, the means of internet allows me to try this safely.

HisWillness wrote:
It's just not fair to compare "esoteric teaching" with a real epistemology like the biological sciences. I don't mind if you call it mysticism, but saying that bio-energy (or whatever you want to call it) is a measurable quantity that we just haven't measured yet is silly. It's more likely that you're experiencing something that doesn't require bio-energy in the explanation.
There is a big difference between mysticism and esotericism. They're both about the same thing, but esotericism has an exact, even scientific approach. It is a body of knowledge related to a development of consciousness. For example, it describes what social, physical, emotional, mental and intuitive phenomena and obstacles expects a person on a particular point in development (and why), how to recognize them, cope with them, and evolve the consciousness further. It may be a bit unusual that esotericism has a different tradition than other sciences and philosophies, but there is nothing wrong about that, as long as it is consistent with itself and the world. The sciences are not the world itself, they only refer to the world. It is thus possible to refer to the world in a different way, but still validly.
By pure coincidence there is an explanation in esoteric terms for "bioenergy", (actually, many kinds of energies) but I am also interested in explanation in terms of neuroscience.

Nordmann wrote:
Luminon has yet to propose anything beyond subjective perceptions of subjective experience to back up any of the grandiose claims he frequently makes on behalf of physical behaviour which disproves physical laws, and even then these "experiences" serve only to explain why he might ask a question, never why he chooses the answer he does.
I know the answers in esotericism, because in neuroscience there is still no such answer I'd know of. This is why I ask, does the science also know why people have feeling or vision of spinning vortexes and flowing streams of energy in their body? I usually get an answer like "hallucination", "mental disease" without any further details, but in that case, dozens of healthy people (often with an university degree) I know would have to be sick or stupid, which they obviously aren't. More likely it's a normal, healthy thing. I feel tired of getting such a banal "answers", insulting one's intelligence. I wait for a real interest in what's exactly going on. The esotericism might be useful during that process, because there are some references as for activity of endocrine glands in the brain, which might offer some clues.

Nordmann wrote:
I could extrapolate a question from that. Are there any perceptions of yours, which you personally have to divorce from reality, in order to have a normal life?

Nordmann wrote:
But I am more inclined to extrapolate from his copious, if inane, input that Luminon is a reasonably academically proficient person who is handicapped by his social isolation, his immaturity, his requirement to express himself in a second language (which infers often bombasticity where none was intended), and above all his miseducation by people for whom he holds a high regard in what constitutes an "open" mind.
Thanks, I guess... I just dare to insist that the most fundamental reason for my behavior is the extraordinary activity of my and other people's brain, which I seek to understand. This is so unusual, that it somewhat affects your evaluation of me. You seem assume that a holder of a too much different opinion must have something wrong with him. In a normal life I'm quite a different person about whom many positive things could be said, only anonymity of the internet allows me to discuss a things I otherwise couldn't.

Nordmann wrote:
  His rantings perpetually remind me of Dawkins' axiom "I am all for an open mind, but not one so open that the brain falls out".
That's an insiders' joke, not from a very open society.

Topher
Topher's picture
User is offlineOffline
Luminon wrote:Topher wrote:

Luminon wrote:
Topher wrote:
Topher wrote:
Luminon wrote:

Well???
You can look at the post #108 or use a searching function of your web browser.

Sorry I missed your reply amongst the rest of the posts.

Luminon wrote:
Topher wrote:
Luminon wrote:

Some of these terms are briefly described here, in the glossary.
But a serious study would require to read an introductory book like Ageless Wisdom Teaching, which is freely available online here. There are manye books recommended as a further reading, but the short introductory book should be more than enough for you, for now. Feel free to believe only of that which you know or feel that is true, the author also emphasizes that audience's rule on his lectures. The purpose is to make this known to interested people, whether they believe it or not. You can take it as a fiction, if you want.

Thanks. To be honest most of these esoteric terms are totally devoid of any meaning. Really. They sound deep and academic, and use sciencey sounding worlds, but are actually without any actual science. You may question what science has to do with this, but since these terms purport to explain aspects of reality, they must be backed up with actual empirical evidence, otherwise it's nothing more than poetry and (rather useless) philosophy.

Some of these terms use refer to...

Rays ― The seven streams of universal divine energy (What is universal divine energy? Why not six or eight?), each the expression of a great Life, whose interaction at every conceivable frequency (What frequency mean here? It is detectable? can something interacts on "every conceivable frequency"?) creates the solar systems, galaxies and universes. Movement of these energies, in spiralling cycles (How do we know this?), draws all Being into and out of manifestation (What does this mean), coloring and saturating (what?)it with specific qualities and attributes. (What quantities and attributes? How can we tell?)

Permanent atoms ― The three atoms of matter (What three atoms?)― physical, astral and mental (What what and what?) ― around which the bodies for a new incarnation are formed (And we know this how exactly?). They retain the vibratory rate of the individual (What's a vibratory rate?)at the moment of death, guaranteeing that the energetic evolutionary status ("Energetic evolutionary status" means what exactly?)thus far achieved will be carried over into successive lives (What successive lives?)

Buddhi ― The universal soul or mind; higher reason; loving understanding; love-wisdom. (Sounds poetic, but nothing more.) The energy of love as the Masters experience it (Who are these masters?).

Manas ― Higher mind. (What is this?)

Deva ― Angel or celestial being belonging to a kingdom in nature (In nature... meaning we can detect it, right?)evolving parallel to humanity (???), and ranging from sub-human elementals to super-human beings (Sounds like Scientology!)on a level with a planetary Logos. (What is 'planetary Logos'?)They are the 'active builders,' working intelligently (How do we know 'it' is intelligent?)with substance to create all the forms we see, including the mental, emotional and physical bodies of humanity (Meaning they are material, and therefore detectable).

Monad/Self ― Pure Spirit reflecting the triplicity of deity: (1) divine Will or Power (the Father); (2) Love-Wisdom (the Son); (3) active Intelligence (the Holy Spirit) (How very Christian). The spark of God resident in every human being (And we know this how?).

Overshadowing ― A voluntary cooperative process in which a Master's consciousness (Who are the masters?)temporarily enters and works through the physical, emotional and mental bodies of a disciple. (As before, how do we know this?)

Occult ― Hidden. (Great, so how to we even know it exists?)The hidden science of energy (see Esotericism).

Given you do not have 'theist' under your name, I presume you're not a theist, much less a Christian. Exactly what is your belief? (e.g. do you believe in a god?) Perhaps there is a post/thread you can direct me to. I always find I amusing when someone eschews belief in god and/or religious doctrine only to buy into the new age nonsense.

EDIT... The bold is a bit mental. Only my comments in brackets are supposed to be in bold.

"It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring" -- Carl Sagan

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
I think we scared him away. 

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

Luminon
SuperfanTheist
Luminon's picture
User is offlineOffline
Topher, that was a glossary

Topher, that was a glossary with a brief description. But these terms then have dozens of thick books explaining everything about them. Most of your questions would be answered there.
I see you are puzzled by a total lack of the scientific terms as you know them. This is, because it's not from an academic tradition with latin terms, it's a different tradition with sanskrit terms. It's also about a different thing than any science -the evolution of concsiousness. It's a whole new look on the world, a different cosmology, psychology, and so on.
As for how do we know that, well, basically by revelation to a few people, this is why everyone can accept it only if their experiences confirms it to be true, otherwise not. The authors emphasizes that often.  It is esoteric, thus "hidden", (not comprehensible for everyone) and it becomes exoteric (provable and comprehensible for everyone) by explaining all this gradually through the academic science, opening new realms of knowledge in the process.

You seem to have some misconception about the word 'natural', you have mistaken it for "detectable by scientific machines of the today". That is only partially true. According to the theory, there are many kinds of matter, dense and finer, and obviously, machines and beings composed of dense matter have a hard time detecting a things made of a finer matter. Witout a special technology, the only detecting tool is the human being, who is composed of many kinds of matter at the same time, and thus is potentially able to perceive on these levels. However, this requires to have a consciousness embracing these levels, which vast majority of people have yet undeveloped. We need scientists to discover these parts of nature, when it becomes reality for them, it will become reality for everyone, not only for those who spent many years researching it.

As for me, my parents spent last 25 years by researching this area of knowledge, and I was there most of the time to watch. From their and my own research, we and our friends managed to prove for ourselves a large part of esotericism. It is a systematic, logical paradigm, explaining how the work is being done. I've been there and seen enough.

Topher wrote:
Given you do not have 'theist' under your name, I presume you're not a theist, much less a Christian. Exactly what is your belief? (e.g. do you believe in a god?) Perhaps there is a post/thread you can direct me to. I always find I amusing when someone eschews belief in god and/or religious doctrine only to buy into the new age nonsense.
As for God, there is no difference between God, humanity and nature. God is not an old man spying on us from the upstairs, it's a sum of all energy of the universe and a sum of the laws governing that energy. So I would believe in humanity and nature, but these are obviously real, so I don't have to believe in them. I don't think that a belief is a reliable thing. I have to act as a conscious part of God-nature-humanity, this is why I send money to the charity, I vote carefully during elections and I spare the environment when I can. Humanity is one big family, we must behave like that. We don't have to like each other, but we must share vital resources and stop poisoning each other through the environment. It's the only way how to survive.
As for what I am, I am what I.A.G.A.Y. was. (or is, who knows) I could agree with him on pretty much everything, even if his rantings were incomprehensible to most of people, to me they were esoterically correct and I had objections.

Topher wrote:
  Monad/Self ― Pure Spirit reflecting the triplicity of deity: (1) divine Will or Power (the Father); (2) Love-Wisdom (the Son); (3) active Intelligence (the Holy Spirit) (How very Christian). The spark of God resident in every human being (And we know this how?).
Also how very Hinduistic, an equivalent of Shiva, Vishnu and Brahma. These are only various terms for one reality, partially, unprecisely preserved in major religions. It is one of basic esoteric axioms, that all greater religions (some dead now) originates from the same background tradition, they only were accustomed to local cultures and later burdened with man-made dogma.

Topher
Topher's picture
User is offlineOffline
Luminon wrote:Topher, that

Luminon wrote:
Topher, that was a glossary with a brief description.

Right, and a glossary is a list of terms with explanations of what they mean. Unfortunately the explanations create far more questions that they even answer.

Luminon wrote:
But these terms then have dozens of thick books explaining everything about them. Most of your questions would be answered there.

The problem is not the length of the explanation; it is that the terms give the impression of actually meaning anything. You can give me an entire book just defining the "seven streams of universal divine energy" and still not get anywhere. Either the term denotes something material/natural, in which case just give me that (material/natural entity) as the description, or it is referring to something non-material/non-natural, in which case it is ontologically useless and epistemologically bankrupt.

Luminon wrote:
I see you are puzzled by a total lack of the scientific terms as you know them.

They are puzzling because they do not actually mean anything.

Luminon wrote:
This is, because it's not from an academic tradition with latin terms, it's a different tradition with sanskrit terms.

The etymology is irrelevant. The only relevant thing is this: are you talking about something material/natural or not? If you are then some established branch of science should be able to detect and study it. If not then you've either discovered something which will go down in history, or you've not discovered nothing at all.

If our scientific/empirical methods of inquiry cannot detect and study this (e.g. the "seven streams of universal divine energy," etc) then how can you, and anyone else, say ANYTHING about it, including that there are seven?!

Luminon wrote:
It's also about a different thing than any science -the evolution of concsiousness. It's a whole new look on the world, a different cosmology, psychology, and so on.

Whether it is current science or some radical new 'science', the same question remains paramount: what is the methodology; how do you, or anyone else, claim to now anything about it?

When you say "different cosmology, psychology, and so on" are you suggesting that is rejects the evidence of current cosmology/psychology/etc? If so, then this is more ridiculous then I first thought (it's bad enough to argue against one branch of science, let alone multiple/all!) If not, then at the end of the day, how are you proposing anything different than established science? 

Either way, regardless of what you're proposing here, you must be able to epistemologically justify/demonstrate your claims in order to be taken seriously. (And please do not just refer us to books. A sign of understanding something entails the ability to summarise and communicate it to others.)

Luminon wrote:
As for how do we know that, well, basically by revelation to a few people,

What does this 'revelation' entail?

Luminon wrote:
this is why everyone can accept it only if their experiences confirms it to be true, otherwise not. The authors emphasizes that often.

Personal experience cannot really confirm anything to be true. It can only suggest, and give reason to investigate further.

If these authors think personal experience is all you need then I'm beginning to doubt them.

Luminon wrote:
It is esoteric, thus "hidden", (not comprehensible for everyone)

Why can some comprehend it while others can't? Does the reason lie with the 'object' (what they are 'examining') or the 'subject' (the individual)? Exactly what is it about the object or subject that leads to this?

Luminon wrote:
and it becomes exoteric (provable and comprehensible for everyone) by explaining all this gradually through the academic science,

How does it become exoteric? Why can the academic sciences not just deal with it to begin with?

Luminon wrote:
opening new realms of knowledge in the process.

What new realms of knowledge? What is this 'other way' of knowing?

Luminon wrote:
You seem to have some misconception about the word 'natural', you have mistaken it for "detectable by scientific machines of the today". That is only partially true. According to the theory, there are many kinds of matter, dense and finer, and obviously, machines and beings composed of dense matter have a hard time detecting a things made of a finer matter. Witout a special technology, the only detecting tool is the human being, who is composed of many kinds of matter at the same time, and thus is potentially able to perceive on these levels.

It doesn't change the fact that it is still material and it can be detected, even if by machines.

Luminon wrote:
However, this requires to have a consciousness embracing these levels, which vast majority of people have yet undeveloped.

Here we are with the flimsy terms again. What does it mean to say "a consciousness embracing these levels"? How is this consciousness different? What are these 'levels'?

Luminon wrote:
We need scientists to discover these parts of nature, when it becomes reality for them, it will become reality for everyone, not only for those who spent many years researching it.

How can these 'researches' know about it but not scientists? How do they know about it?

Luminon wrote:
As for God, there is no difference between God, humanity and nature.

Errr, yes, there is. The only way to remove the difference is to conflate them to meant the same thing, and thus remove any need for three separate terms to begin with!

Luminon wrote:
God is not an old man spying on us from the upstairs, it's a sum of all energy of the universe and a sum of the laws governing that energy.

How do you know this?

Luminon
SuperfanTheist
Luminon's picture
User is offlineOffline
Topher wrote: Right, and a

Topher wrote:
Right, and a glossary is a list of terms with explanations of what they mean. Unfortunately the explanations create far more questions that they even answer.
I hope you're not trying to understand in one day what must be studied and practised for years. But this is a very interesting, though diffcult problem of communication, one that should be solved.

Topher wrote:
The problem is not the length of the explanation; it is that the terms give the impression of actually meaning anything. You can give me an entire book just defining the "seven streams of universal divine energy" and still not get anywhere. Either the term denotes something material/natural, in which case just give me that (material/natural entity) as the description, or it is referring to something non-material/non-natural, in which case it is ontologically useless and epistemologically bankrupt.
Of course I mean natural things, but they're unlike anything you've ever seen or thought of. The key here to an unspeakable things is an experience, which builds a bridge of understanding. For the sake of initial learning, it is necessary first to take some premises as given, to understand the point later and verify it in practice personally. We can see some parts of the teachings in practice, some not, for purely technical reasons. For example, you believe scientists the discoveries they made at LHC, but you can't go there and see it for yourself. Even if yes, you wouldn't understand much from the readings on computers there.

As for the seven rays, that's a pretty high stuff, not easy one to verify without a lot of studying and effort. Basically, each of the rays has certain effects. They usually come in two forms, perfectly expressed and imperfectly expressed, shortly said, virtues and vices. If all things consists of the three rays (the three are main, the four are sub-rays of the third one) then they express the "virtues and vices" and they express them cyclically. By observation of the objects like a state, a person, a historical period, we can see a dominant qualities of rays coming in and out of manifestation cyclically. Knowing one's rays thus gives a lot of insight into our natural tendences, virtues, vices and virtues-to-be-achieved, even on a national level. This is getting very complex... I'd only add a technical detail for curiosity, the second of the three main rays is callded Love-Wisdom, and is esoterically equated with all things attractive, not only love, but also gravity and cohesive forces of atoms.

Topher wrote:
  The etymology is irrelevant. The only relevant thing is this: are you talking about something material/natural or not? If you are then some established branch of science should be able to detect and study it. If not then you've either discovered something which will go down in history, or you've not discovered nothing at all.
Yes, I'm talking about natural things, but as for the material, you have to understand, that there are degrees of materiality, a different qualities of materiality. The estabilished branch of science knows well only the most dense three of them and rather recently made a first steps to what will eventually be a discovery of another, finer forms of matter. But the development is still in very early stage and the study you expect would be possible no earlier than in a few decades.

Topher wrote:
  If our scientific/empirical methods of inquiry cannot detect and study this (e.g. the "seven streams of universal divine energy," etc) then how can you, and anyone else, say ANYTHING about it, including that there are seven?!
It is something that becomes a part of consciousness naturally, when a person evolves past a certain point in development. Such a people then gave this information to their less developed co-workers who published a books and made lectures.  Raders of these books then had tried this information in practice as rationally they could, and if it worked, they recommended it, otherwise not. Of course they didn't detect the rays as such, for them it is just an intellectual idea, a model of something, which is verifiable only to a degree at a time. I have heard from a travelling friend about shamans in the Altai mountains who understands the world only in terms of the rays, but don't ask me how they do it.

Topher wrote:
 Whether it is current science or some radical new 'science', the same question remains paramount: what is the methodology; how do you, or anyone else, claim to now anything about it?
The methodology is similar to the scientific one, but the tools are mainly our own body, mind, intuition and consciousness. They perform the experiments, they verify and store the results, they passes the results to other people for a peer-review. It may be surprising, but people are not chaotically different, in esoteric terms it is possible to define one's personality and point in evolution, so that we may, for example, elect a right person for the right task, where someone else would fail. By gradual perfecting of ourselves, the human becomes a precise and powerful tool in service of greatest good for maximum of people.

Topher wrote:
When you say "different cosmology, psychology, and so on" are you suggesting that is rejects the evidence of current cosmology/psychology/etc? If so, then this is more ridiculous then I first thought (it's bad enough to argue against one branch of science, let alone multiple/all!) If not, then at the end of the day, how are you proposing anything different than established science?
I wouldn't say it rejects the evidence. Rather, it transcends it, it fills the gaps. Where the science ends, esoterics begins. For example, the relatively recent discoveries of quantum mechanics are similar to ancient notions of world illusion, called maya. David Bohm and his friend Jiddu Krishnamurti could tell you a lot about that. The estabilished science knows now only a tiny part of what the esoterics promises to be discovered, and it also offers a hints of where to search.

Topher wrote:
Either way, regardless of what you're proposing here, you must be able to epistemologically justify/demonstrate your claims in order to be taken seriously. (And please do not just refer us to books. A sign of understanding something entails the ability to summarise and communicate it to others.)
Wait a little. We're talking here about the science/philosophy concerned with the greatest mysteries of the universe, with many of them being unspeakable, overreaching our little neural speech centres by many orders. Mere putting of something in words makes it unprecise at best, a lie at worst. By the development, the words are being replaced by experience.

Topher wrote:
What does this 'revelation' entail?
It means to cooperate with more evolved human beings. It means having them dictate a tenths of books for tenths of years, and also it means arguing with them about putting an appropriate english word here and there.

Topher wrote:
Personal experience cannot really confirm anything to be true. It can only suggest, and give reason to investigate further.

If these authors think personal experience is all you need then I'm beginning to doubt them.

Yes, but in the end, everything you have is a personal experience. Even the investigation itself becomes a personal experience. This means, don't underestimate the personal experience, and don't overestimate your objectivity, it may be not so objective as you think.

Topher wrote:
Why can some comprehend it while others can't? Does the reason lie with the 'object' (what they are 'examining') or the 'subject' (the individual)? Exactly what is it about the object or subject that leads to this?
Experience is the key. You can read about something as an intellectual idea, but unless you experience it personally, you may never comprehend it. Just words won't allow you to put something in your pocket, as Buddhists says, the finger pointing at the Moon is not the Moon.

Topher wrote:
How does it become exoteric? Why can the academic sciences not just deal with it to begin with?
That's a technical question. Our sciences are very young and there were not appropriate influences for that, that changed only recently.

Topher wrote:
What new realms of knowledge? What is this 'other way' of knowing?
A knowledge of matter, energy, life, time and space, mind-bogglingly deeper than we have now.

Topher wrote:
It doesn't change the fact that it is still material and it can be detected, even if by machines.
Not even by machines, for now, and except of some basic readings. The newest I know of is the unknown space radiation, discovered by an orbital device, six times stronger than expected.

Topher wrote:
Here we are with the flimsy terms again. What does it mean to say "a consciousness embracing these levels"? How is this consciousness different? What are these 'levels'?
These are technical questions. As I mentioned, the finer-than-material forms of matter are arranged in such a way that they form a spectrum, with such a "levels". We, humans live on several such a levels simultaneously, but if we are unevolved, we are not aware of it.

Topher wrote:
How can these 'researches' know about it but not scientists? How do they know about it?
They know because they know because they know. Such is a nature of intuition. And then, ocassionally, they verify it in practice, so they see that it works.

Topher wrote:
Errr, yes, there is. The only way to remove the difference is to conflate them to meant the same thing, and thus remove any need for three separate terms to begin with!
Here I would recommend you to study a set theory. There are sets, sub-sets, and so on. One set can contain a several of items... etc.

Topher wrote:

Luminon wrote:
God is not an old man spying on us from the upstairs, it's a sum of all energy of the universe and a sum of the laws governing that energy.

How do you know this?

It's a quote from one esotericist and my intuition confirms it. Now good night, I'm ready to drop and I'll be even more when I'll have to get up.

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Not to be a smarty pants

Not to be a smarty pants here, but the sum of all energy in the universe is most likely zero.

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple wrote:Not to

Cpt_pineapple wrote:
Not to be a smarty pants here, but the sum of all energy in the universe is most likely zero.

Ha ha.

Don't encourage those ignorant of vector calculus. They'll start telling you that the universe doesn't exist.

(Point nicely made, though -- I'll give you that.)

peppermint
Superfan
peppermint's picture
User is offlineOffline

pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
User is offlineOffline
peppermint wrote:For the

I tried to tell him, but . . .

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
Luminon wrote:Topher

Luminon wrote:

Topher wrote:

Luminon wrote:

How do you know this?

It's a quote from one esotericist and my intuition confirms it.

I don't know why you keep thinking that qualifies as a real answer.

I read that you're a zebra, and my intuition confirms it.

smartypants
Superfan
smartypants's picture
User is offlineOffline
butterbattle wrote:I think

butterbattle wrote:

LOL No, I'm here. I just had a horrendous week at work and had to ignore this for a few days.

R

smartypants
Superfan
smartypants's picture
User is offlineOffline
HisWillness

HisWillness wrote:

smartypants wrote:
Are you even aware of what I'm saying? There were two different subjects being broached here. Your quote of me answers your question.

Let's recap:

me wrote:
If thinking we know anything is hubris, are you suggesting an alternative, nihilistic epistemology?

smartypants wrote:
Everything has meaning, because it's impossible to remove ourselves from the grand design of the universe. If we do or if we don't, it's all guided by the monstrous mathematical formula of the reality in which we exist.

Who's the bad communicator, here? Your assertion that we don't have the right to say we know anything based purely on ignorance of the subject matter is helpful how?

It's helpful to progress, actually. There's no need for any further study of subjects we believe we already understand fully.

smartypants
Superfan
smartypants's picture
User is offlineOffline
Balkoth wrote:I understood

Balkoth wrote:

I understood it, and learned some things as I haven't studied physics much.

Smartypants, although you said

Quote:
See, you're the type of person I like arguing with. You call out questionable issues, but without all the venom.

I'm beginning to wonder if you realize how hypocritical you're being.  DG wrote a explanatory post to try to help you and the first response you gave was a rude and venomous comment.

DG has written a fair amount here, look around and find some of his posts.  You'll notice they're usually scientific and aimed at helping other people understand science.  Check out a specific essay he recently wrote called "The Third Revolution."  He's giving up his time to write things to try to help other people, and the response you give is "LMAO Wow. You really like to hear yourself talk, don't you?"

That's not a venom-free comment.  That's not a neutral comment.  That's not even a critical comment.  It appears to be nothing but a vemonous and insulting statement with absolutely no value.

I realize you probably didn't expect people to question your beliefs and ask you to justify yourself so soon.  That does not excuse some of the comments you've made, however.

Maybe this was just a bad start.  I hope so.  At this point, you can act maturely in a manner that seems more in-line with your original post...or you can continue to spout things like "LMAO Wow. You really like to hear yourself talk, don't you?"

It's up to you, and I dearly hope it's the former.  Buck up, answer the tough questions, and be ready to consider that you might be wrong.  Sure, we might be wrong too.  We admit it, and are willing to try to find the truth.  Are you?

No, I wasn't expecting arguments so soon, because that's not what my OP was about. I was merely introducing myself and trying to determine where I would fit into these forums so I wouldn't be posting or commenting where I shouldn't be. Had I known this would be the result, I definitely would have waited to describe my beliefs until a later time and probably piece by piece.

smartypants
Superfan
smartypants's picture
User is offlineOffline
butterbattle

butterbattle wrote:

smartypants wrote:
That "objective, reliable organization" is exactly what I consider to be the "higher power" in the universe--as much as that phrasing has caused problems here.

If your "higher power" is the reality that physical laws are observed to be coherent and universal, then it's simply semantics. Considering this point, why do you even label it a "higher power?" How is it significant? After all, adherents to virtually every ideology accept that physical laws are observed to be uniform.

Or, perhaps, what you meant was that this observation is evidence for a higher power, like a fine-tuning argument?

smartypants wrote:
What I'm saying is that the person with the broken leg--if they were, in fact, afflicted--might believe they were healed for a very specific and explainable reason.

Yes, Yahweh wanted her leg to be healed. Thus, the Lord spoke, and it was so. Voila! Alternatively, she could have been a part of the con-job/miracle. 

smartypants wrote:
The human brain might have a lot more power than we recognize, and "belief" might be the catalyst for those powers. Again, I think what the human brain can do might be testable, but I don't have the credible research to back it up, unfortunately, so I'm just theorizing.

Well, basically, you are free to roam the market of ideas, but if you don't have objective evidence, then you shouldn't expect neuroscientists to discard our current knowledge in favor of such things.

smartypants wrote:
Yes you would have written it. Thinking of yourself as some kind of scientific expert gives you a boner. That's cool.

Excuse me? How do you know that?

smartypants wrote:
I read your post, but it was more or less meaningless to me because you lack the ability to communicate with the people you're addressing. Only people with true intelligence can assess the audience they're addressing and create the appropriate rhetoric, so don't feel bad. Having studied Linguistics steadily for the past decade and a half, I can assure you that your communication skills are seriously lacking. I'm sure in your limited little circle of academic friends find you very eloquent.

Okay, now you're being an ass. 

I understood most of DG's post, and my training in linguistics extends as far as a high school AP class. Therefore, if you have been studying linguistics steadily for the past 15 years, then your inability to comprehend DG's post must be due to a lack of scientific training, not because his "communication skills are seriously lacking." Do you know what scalars and vectors are? Do you know what the variables in "F=ma" represent? But, heck, I'm probably just chipping at the tip of the iceberg. I highly doubt that you've even studied linguistics for five years, for your posts resemble those of an intelligent high school grad, just like mine, not a linguist. Aside from that, if you didn't understand DG's post, why aren't you asking him to clarify the parts you didn't understand? Why aren't you even responding to it? When you entered this thread, it appeared like your goal was to communicate with us and understand our perspective. Right now though, it feels like your goal is to conquer the dogmatic atheists with the traditional debate tactic of ignoring rebuttals and hurling insults.

Lower the walls and communicate, damn it.

This is probably the wrong place to have introduced that "higher power" concept, but the reason I use it is because I think the reasons people are able to believe that there is a granddaddy in the sky is explainable by much more complex phenomena than just mass delusion.

I also don't necessarily believe that some mystical entity consciously designed our universe this way, no. I suppose that's possible, but for reasons stated above, I think it's useless to bother with such a question that can never be definitively answered.

I'd use the same sarcasm to describe the faith healing that you did. What I'm proposing, though, is the possibility that even if there is no god, the belief in one might be able to explain medical "miracles" (people defying all probability to recover fully from cancer for instance) by some other means altogether, unrelated to religion or theism. Whatever those other processes are, they contribute to theists being able to reject other conflicting evidence. I have great respect for neuroscience; I don't think this concept is in conflict with that field.

I'm not going to go into my whole background with Linguistics here. I was just feeling defensive, getting the impression I was being dubbed an idiot since, although I'm very familiar with scientific method, my area of study has been in communications, not physics. 

Irregardless =) my OP was not fully fleshed out, because I wasn't expecting to get into a debate about it. It was intended as merely an introduction. That was my ignorance.

R

smartypants
Superfan
smartypants's picture
User is offlineOffline
Tapey wrote:smartypants

Tapey wrote:

smartypants wrote:

Tapey wrote:

1)How do you know it exists?

2)How are these people chosen, is it genetic?

3)Why hasn't one of these people won the 1 million dollar prize from the amazing Randy?

4)Why hasn't this energy cured any diseases?

Just a few basic things that would be easy to answer if it was real. I'm sure scientists would be thrilled if it were real, think of the possiblities for them.

Common answers answers

1) I have seen it ( you have been most likely tricked)

2)I don't know 

3) Doesn't need the money ( then why over charge)

4) It has but science doesn't regconise it. (If something cured cancer,  a not to uncommon claim, do you really think it would go unrecognised?)

1) I've experienced it countless times, which is not that different from your common answer.

2) Everyone has it, but western culture has favored the suppression of it in recent generations.

3) See #2. Plus a good deal of the people who have tapped into it probably realize there are more important things to worry about then the almighty dollar.

4) It may not be a cure-all solution, but it's been well documented that attitude affects health. Ulcers caused by stress is the perfect example.

R

So these people don't know a good charity they could donate it to? If I didn't want the money i would still claim and donate it to AIDs research or something of that like. I don't need the money just doesn't cut it. If they don't need the money why charge a  fortune for all this fuzzy mind body connection stuff? And about health, its a placebo effect. I would think sugar pills would do the trick just as well.

I'm not sure. But I don't think it works that way. I know some people who have a hard time controlling what kind of information they do and don't receive. Being able to look at a lottery ticket and just "see" the winning numbers is such a high level of sophistication with it that anyone who could do that I'm sure would have more important things on their mind. 

Placebo effect is a great analogy. It's exactly like that.

smartypants
Superfan
smartypants's picture
User is offlineOffline
deludedgod wrote:The

deludedgod wrote:

The underlying problem with postulating some vague "vital energies" or something similar as a purported explanation for consciousness or biological life in general is that it completely lacks explanatory power. Fundamentally, the error lies in the fact that such gullible people are postulating something simple and fundamental like a supposed "vital essence" as the solution to a very complicated problem. As an illustration, the problem of how biology relates the chemistry has now been completed cracked. But prior to its cracking there were many simpletons (indeed, perhaps there still are) who subscribed to the notion that biology had an "animus" or a "life essence". Now compare that supposed "explanation" to the real one, which is outlined by me in the link below, took over 35,000 words (and still is not detailed enough), and is the product of 30 years of endless toil by a generation of biologists:

The Third Revolution

Well, I have an honest question for you where this is concerned.

Imagine a computer as smart or smarter than the human brain, that's self-aware and can communicate and generate original ideas, attached to a robot that can move independently and sense and respond to its surroundings audibly, visually, and every other way--would it be "alive?" If not, why not? And on the other hand, if the human body is not much more than a complex biological machine, why is it impossible to reanimate corpses? Do you think eventually we'll have the knowledge to do that?

deludedgod
Rational VIP!ScientistDeluded God
deludedgod's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Imagine a computer as

Quote:

Imagine a computer as smart or smarter than the human brain, that's self-aware

If it was indeed self-aware then it would no longer be a computer. It would be AI. So, yes.

Quote:

why is it impossible to reanimate corpses?

For the same reason it is not possible to unshatter glass or unbreak eggs: Entropy. All biological processes are necessarily guided by the highly directional chemical processes that invariably tend toward net macrostates corresponding to a greater number of microstates. Once an organism has died, the coupled chemical reactions that make the internal cells more ordered at the thermodynamic expense of the surroundings stop. Effectively all cells are in races against time, for they must maintain constant and increasing order within an ever disordering universe. Once the coupling mechanics break down that keep an organism alive stop, the irreversible processes of tending to disorder will tend the organism to a higher entropy state, it is no more possible to reassemble a dead biological organism into a low entropy state that constitutes being alive than it is to force heat to spontaneously move up gradients of temperatures. The great Erwin Schrodinger wrote in "What is Life"? That death was essentially the loss of negentropy. Schrodinger used the term negative entropy to refer to the export of entropy into the surrounings by coupled chemical reactions. Once an organism dies it is not possible to export the net entropy that has disordered out of the organism.

"Physical reality” isn’t some arbitrary demarcation. It is defined in terms of what we can systematically investigate, directly or not, by means of our senses. It is preposterous to assert that the process of systematic scientific reasoning arbitrarily excludes “non-physical explanations” because the very notion of “non-physical explanation” is contradictory.

-Me

Books about atheism

smartypants
Superfan
smartypants's picture
User is offlineOffline
deludedgod

deludedgod wrote:

Quote:

If it was indeed self-aware then it would no longer be a computer. It would be AI. So, yes.

Quote:

why is it impossible to reanimate corpses?

For the same reason it is not possible to unshatter glass or unbreak eggs: Entropy. All biological processes are necessarily guided by the highly directional chemical processes that invariably tend toward net macrostates corresponding to a greater number of microstates. Once an organism has died, the coupled chemical reactions that make the internal cells more ordered at the thermodynamic expense of the surroundings stop. Effectively all cells are in races against time, for they must maintain constant and increasing order within an ever disordering universe. Once the coupling mechanics break down that keep an organism alive stop, the irreversible processes of tending to disorder will tend the organism to a higher entropy state, it is no more possible to reassemble a dead biological organism into a low entropy state that constitutes being alive than it is to force heat to spontaneously move up gradients of temperatures. The great Erwin Schrodinger wrote in "What is Life"? That death was essentially the loss of negentropy. Schrodinger used the term negative entropy to refer to the export of entropy into the surrounings by coupled chemical reactions. Once an organism dies it is not possible to export the net entropy that has disordered out of the organism.

Okay, so what would you say it is that makes AI "alive" and a computer not?

peppermint
Superfan
peppermint's picture
User is offlineOffline
HisWillness wrote:Luminon

HisWillness wrote:

Luminon wrote:

Topher wrote:

Luminon wrote:

How do you know this?

It's a quote from one esotericist and my intuition confirms it.

I don't know why you keep thinking that qualifies as a real answer.

I read that you're a zebra, and my intuition confirms it.

Devil zebra!

*Our world is far more complex than the rigid structure we want to assign to it, and we will probably never fully understand it.*

"Those believers who are sophisticated enough to understand the paradox have found exciting ways to bend logic into pretzel shapes in order to defend the indefensible." - Hamby

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
smartypants wrote:It's

smartypants wrote:
It's helpful to progress, actually. There's no need for any further study of subjects we believe we already understand fully.

But nobody said we understand anything "fully". We understand some things better than others, but the things we know are known, and within a very tight and well defined margin of error. That claim is completely reasonable, and you earlier called it hubris. That was my objection. 

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
deludedgod

deludedgod wrote:

Quote:

Just to save you the trouble of a confusing counter-argument: I thought we only considered things that were self-replicating to be alive. Is that not the case? I've never heard of something that is alive, that can't replicate itself in some form or another.

In fact, would it not be more likely that we could make a living piece of AI out of the process of self-replication much easier than waiting for the development of some kind of self-awareness?

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
peppermint wrote:Devil

peppermint wrote:

Devil zebra!

Demon llama!

smartypants
Superfan
smartypants's picture
User is offlineOffline
HisWillness wrote:deludedgod

HisWillness wrote:

deludedgod wrote:

Quote:

Just to save you the trouble of a confusing counter-argument: I thought we only considered things that were self-replicating to be alive. Is that not the case? I've never heard of something that is alive, that can't replicate itself in some form or another.

In fact, would it not be more likely that we could make a living piece of AI out of the process of self-replication much easier than waiting for the development of some kind of self-awareness?

But then we need to determine what actually constitutes reproduction. Is an artificially intelligent robot building a replica of itself of its own volition "reproducing?" What about nanobots designed to replicate themselves?

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
smartypants wrote:But then

smartypants wrote:
But then we need to determine what actually constitutes reproduction.

Any self-replication will do. If you're going to go with the idea that abiogenesis is legit, then anything that exercises a negative entropy (as deludedgod pointed out) and is self-replicating is alive.

smartypants wrote:
Is an artificially intelligent robot building a replica of itself of its own volition "reproducing?" What about nanobots designed to replicate themselves?

Sure, but neither of those things actually exist, so let's talk about self-replicating software instead. The only thing about self-replicating software that makes it once-removed from life is its inability to survive outside of a computer environment. However, the argument could be made that we would have a pretty hard time living in a outer space, so a limitation on environment might not be a good way to think about it.

The other thing we associate with life is a "volition" to persist. I don't think you need to get as complicated as "volition" if you again consider abiogenesis. The action of chemistry encourages persistence of certain forms, and those happen to replicate. So all you would need to do is make a program that, through "natural" processes in a computing environment, persisted long enough and replicated.

You may be thinking "virus" if you're not a computer person, but that's not what I'm suggesting. I'm suggesting "bacteria".

I doubt you would find many programmers willing to go beyond simple genetic algorithms and produce something like that, because that program would find a way to capitalize on the resources of the world's computing systems in order to continue its replication (just like we push the boundaries of the earth's ability to carry us). Or it would produce more complicated structures that "wanted to live". Either way, that would be taking up a lot of computing power with a living piece of software.

Luminon
SuperfanTheist
Luminon's picture
User is offlineOffline

I tried to tell him, but . . .

...but I've watched this first: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5NwRfMJgOQ

And I did the experiment myself, remember? You can't explain by air currents why the wheel can turn in the direction we want,  at the time we want. 

Anyway, I don't like the silence, trivial objections or ridiculing every time I get close to having the skeptics admit something. Generally, it seems that the skeptics consider other people with a different opinion mentally retarded whether they deserve it or not. And fellow skeptics seems to have a free pass. Really, an outsider may get such an impression, I'd suggest this is another example of people overly idealizing their own group. I don't write this just to be mean to you, this is what we outside of the skeptical community have to cope with, regularly. That observation may be very true, because it's one of easiest things in the world to see the others' mistakes.

peppermint
Superfan
peppermint's picture
User is offlineOffline
Luminon wrote: Anyway, I

Luminon wrote:

Anyway, I don't like the silence, trivial objections or ridiculing every time I get close to having the skeptics admit something. Generally, it seems that the skeptics consider other people with a different opinion mentally retarded whether they deserve it or not.

Really, I wasn't trying to ridicule you. I was just showing an example of something you mentioned that's been debunked.

Luminon
SuperfanTheist
Luminon's picture
User is offlineOffline
peppermint wrote:Luminon

peppermint wrote:

Luminon wrote:

Anyway, I don't like the silence, trivial objections or ridiculing every time I get close to having the skeptics admit something. Generally, it seems that the skeptics consider other people with a different opinion mentally retarded whether they deserve it or not.

Really, I wasn't trying to ridicule you. I was just showing an example of something you mentioned that's been debunked.

In my opinion, this 'debunking' is so trivial, that it is already taken into account when the experiment is performed. I am surprised when skeptics think that I wouldn't think of these banal influences by myself... But that's generalized, it also applies to cases like when people think that I would mistake Venus or Jupiter for UFO, etc. I mean, it's not THAT bad with me. Maybe with some other people it is, but not all of them can be thrown into the same sack.
See the video I linked above. The psi-wheel is very well isolated, but it obeys the author's will precisely and on a good distance. With things like air currents the rotation should be completely random, uncontrollable and rather monotonous, right? So it isn't debunked yet.