OnLive. This winter.

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
OnLive. This winter.

Check that shit out.

Props to Renee for digging that up!

If this thing actually works, dude, I'm all over it.

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

- Leon Trotsky, Last Will & Testament
February 27, 1940

mr804
Special AgentSuperfan
mr804's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Reminds me of the phantom.

Reminds me of the phantom. for some reason. 

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Reminds me of the

Quote:
Reminds me of the phantom. for some reason.

DON'T JINX IT LIKE THAT!!!

Sticking out tongue

(But yeah, now that you mention it - it does sound a lot like the Phantom)

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

February 27, 1940

mr804
Special AgentSuperfan
mr804's picture
User is offlineOffline

http://www.onlive.com/beta_program.html

ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
User is offlineOffline
Thats nice and all, but

Thats nice and all, but imagine how much a little bit of lag will kill the games for you.

Let alone standard latency issues from how far you are from the servers. I just..don't see it working for anything but turn based games.

Theism is why we can't have nice things.

neptewn
neptewn's picture
User is offlineOffline
Trying to back haul real

Trying to back haul real time dependent content over best-effort networks is not a good strategy. As technologies transition from broadcast video and analog signaling to a digital format the bandwidth this type of solution competes with is not only increasing it is getting prioritized, with typical data being set to the bottom. What they are saying is nothing new, both digital voice and video solutions have been operating in the latency dependent arena for a very long-time, that's why they require priority or committed bandwidth in order to operate cleanly. The actual server component only accounts for a fraction of the latency applied to a communication, so assuming fancy servers will solve the problem is falling short of the solution.

Short of colocating these "servers" as close to the edge as possible, being one hop from the end-user or at a minimum becoming a portal partner with the major ISPs allowing their traffic priority and exclusion from any monthly bandwidth limits, I would be hesitant to believe they can deliver a viable solution.

These ISPs have bandwidth they are trying to sell, they like content providers. The better the content the more bandwidth they can sell.

Your mind will answer most questions if you learn to relax and wait for the answer. - William S. Burroughs

ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
User is offlineOffline
I have 6 meg per second

I have 6 meg per second internet, and it lags in games at times still online.

I couldn't imagine trying to play a SINGLE PLAYER game with lag happening at an inopportune moment. I'd probably be breaking things in my home in frustration.

neptewn
neptewn's picture
User is offlineOffline
ClockCat wrote:I have 6 meg

ClockCat wrote:

I have 6 meg per second internet, and it lags in games at times still online.

That's because it's all best-effort.

"Best effort delivery describes a network service in which the network does not provide any guarantees that data is delivered or that a user is given a guaranteed quality of service level or a certain priority. In a best effort network all users obtain best effort service, meaning that they obtain unspecified variable bit rate and delivery time, depending on the current traffic load. By removing features such as recovery of lost or corrupted data and preallocation of resources, the network operates more efficiently, and the network nodes are inexpensive."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Best_effort_delivery

Since you are not guaranteed 6 mbit or any amount actually, how can they design a product that relies upon that to operate efficiently, they can't.

Your mind will answer most questions if you learn to relax and wait for the answer. - William S. Burroughs

ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yeah. Without a guarantee of

Yeah. Without a guarantee of some standard of performance, it just wouldn't be viable for me.

I'll sign up to beta it. But I don't expect a lot really.

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'd sign-up for the beta,

I'd sign-up for the beta, but it's for US residents only (I imagine due to the data centers being located strictly within the US, and thus being limited by - if nothing else - the speed of photons through cable / fiber).

Let me know how the beta goes, cat.

Quote:

February 27, 1940

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Trying to back haul

Quote:

Trying to back haul real time dependent content over best-effort networks is not a good strategy. As technologies transition from broadcast video and analog signaling to a digital format the bandwidth this type of solution competes with is not only increasing it is getting prioritized, with typical data being set to the bottom. What they are saying is nothing new, both digital voice and video solutions have been operating in the latency dependent arena for a very long-time, that's why they require priority or committed bandwidth in order to operate cleanly. The actual server component only accounts for a fraction of the latency applied to a communication, so assuming fancy servers will solve the problem is falling short of the solution.

Short of colocating these "servers" as close to the edge as possible, being one hop from the end-user or at a minimum becoming a portal partner with the major ISPs allowing their traffic priority and exclusion from any monthly bandwidth limits, I would be hesitant to believe they can deliver a viable solution.

These ISPs have bandwidth they are trying to sell, they like content providers. The better the content the more bandwidth they can sell.

This doesn't introduce a 'new' problem that would be distinct to OnLive, though. Any multiplayer gaming service has to rely on best-effort ISP networks; Xbox Live is still fun, regardless of the data prioritizing done by ISPs and occassional spats of lag.

EDIT: Besides that, becoming a portal partner with an ISP wouldn't be a real challenge, so long as they offer said ISP a large enough slice of their pie.

Quote:

February 27, 1940

neptewn
neptewn's picture
User is offlineOffline
Kevin R Brown wrote:This

Kevin R Brown wrote:

This doesn't introduce a 'new' problem that would be distinct to OnLive, though. Any multiplayer gaming service has to rely on best-effort ISP networks; Xbox Live is still fun, regardless of the data prioritizing done by ISPs and occassional spats of lag.

They are trying to make console games obsolete by removing lag and PC requirements. Single player and LAN multiplayer are now also going to demonstrate lag, not just the WAN multiplayer. Plus XBOX has a console and stores the game locally, it loads the game into memory, reads and writes off it's own drive. XBOX Live takes advantage of this and is simply sending updates remotely, nowhere near 1.5 to 5 meg. Last time I clocked a multiplayer game it was peaking roughly at 64K in updates.

OnLive’s algorithms are designed to minimize lag and since all of the computing is done on the server, virtually any computer can experience high-end graphics and gameplay. Simply by hitting a button you can utilize the broadband internet connection. The video compression, he boasts, is faster than human perception- you won’t notice the millisecond lag.

I'm not saying it won't be fun or won't work. I'm just saying they are making some pretty big boast that seem unlikely that they could solve server side.

Quote:
EDIT: Besides that, becoming a portal partner with an ISP wouldn't be a real challenge, so long as they offer said ISP a large enough slice of their pie.

I work for a very large ISP, they are always looking for content providers such as this. Which is why I thought they should take advantage of such a relationship.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm going to go ahead and

I'm going to go ahead and predict Fail. Not Epic Fail, but Fail. I may be wrong, but I have yet to make a prediction that doesn't come true in the gaming industry. And yes, my ego in this area grows every time I make one and see it come true.

Both Sony and Microsoft have made and continue to make too many advancements in online networks for a new player to come in and win the day unless they accomplish something truly radical in the process. I'm not seeing any indication of such being offered. Whereas the installed and extreme competition between these two companies effectively acts like a dynamo of innovation and advancement.

Even PC games have been splattered by the most recent generation of consoles. The networking offered just blasts current PC capabilities out of the water. There is too much convenience in having a friend list that works laterally through every game on a system. Not to mention the chat options, trophies/achievement awards, online stores, patches, etc.

And, of course, the next generation is coming fairly soon. Hopefully MS will change their self defeating Sega strategy and actually wait more than 3-4 years between consoles this time. Sony has the right idea with a 10 year window. Nintendo has made such a cheap and invasive console that they're probably the only ones who could release a new box in the next 2 years without fucking themselves. And they might need to. It depends on how well the Wii will continue to stand once the uber games are launching in the next couple of years (more GTA, FF, GOW, MGS, Halo, etc). Games the Wii simply doesn't have the power to run.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

neptewn
neptewn's picture
User is offlineOffline
Vastet

You made me think about another point, I hadn't considered.

People are buying these things to not only game but as a blu-ray player. They are becoming entertainment consoles not just gaming systems.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Definately. Ever since the

Definately. Ever since the original PlayStation, Sony has been putting a lot of effort into merging standalone media devices with gaming consoles. Sega was technically the first big company to do it, but Sega was the first to do a lot of things, and it didn't get them anywhere. Microsoft and Nintendo have seen just how successful a strategy that has been, and have both made their own moves in the same direction. MS has completely self owned in this particular category, but Nintendo has made some good moves. Mostly by staying as far away from it as they possibly can, and redefining their entire console strategy from the ground up.

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:I'm not seeing any

Quote:
I'm not seeing any indication of such being offered.

...You see 'nothing radical' about a proposed console that never becomes obsolete and renders computer upgrading a thing of the past?

Vastet, seriously - you're talking out of your ass. You've 'yet to make a prediction tha hasn't come true in the gaming industry'? Give me a break. Even Warren Buffet makes mistakes here or there.

I really, really doubt that you've ever had much of anything at all to do with the gaming industry (...you didn't even know off-hand who Derek Smart was).

Now, I'm not saying OnLive will work, but arguing that the first ever effort to put cloud computing to work on this scale for this particular application is just 'meh' is retarded. The proposed system is a publisher's dream (particularly an independent publisher's).

Quote:
Even PC games have been splattered by the most recent generation of consoles.

lolwut

Vastet, dude, do you know what you can't do with a console game? Add user-created content to it. While I agree that the networking systems for the latest gen consoles are incredible, it pales in comparison to the types of community-building that can be (and have been/are) forged around tinkering with what's under the hood. I mean, No Mutants Allowed? Relic News? The Civilization forums? All of the various community portals for Flight Simulator Mods? The Oblivion mod wiki? Etc

'Splattered'? Man, that just kills me. Laughing out loud

Console games are popular for a year or so and are, essentially, for casual players; you fire it up, get the achievements, put it away and move on to the latest and greatest thing. PC Games live on for decades upon decades, never requiring any kind of gimmicky 'achievement' system and steadily changing over time.

Quote:

February 27, 1940

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Kevin R Brown

Kevin R Brown wrote:

Quote:

...You see 'nothing radical' about a proposed console that never becomes obsolete and renders computer upgrading a thing of the past?

Vastet, seriously - you're talking out of your ass. You've 'yet to make a prediction tha hasn't come true in the gaming industry'? Give me a break. Even Warren Buffet makes mistakes here or there.

I really, really doubt that you've ever had much of anything at all to do with the gaming industry (...you didn't even know off-hand who Derek Smart was).

Now, I'm not saying OnLive will work, but arguing that the first ever effort to put cloud computing to work on this scale for this particular application is just 'meh' is retarded. The proposed system is a publisher's dream (particularly an independent publisher's).

Quote:

lolwut

Vastet, dude, do you know what you can't do with a console game? Add user-created content to it. While I agree that the networking systems for the latest gen consoles are incredible, it pales in comparison to the types of community-building that can be (and have been/are) forged around tinkering with what's under the hood. I mean, No Mutants Allowed? Relic News? The Civilization forums? All of the various community portals for Flight Simulator Mods? The Oblivion mod wiki? Etc

'Splattered'? Man, that just kills me. Laughing out loud

Console games are popular for a year or so and are, essentially, for casual players; you fire it up, get the achievements, put it away and move on to the latest and greatest thing. PC Games live on for decades upon decades, never requiring any kind of gimmicky 'achievement' system and steadily changing over time.

ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
User is offlineOffline
There is no way the majority

There is no way the majority of Americans can command that kind of uninterrupted bandwith at consistant low latency.

It just isn't going to happen. Streaming the entire game, video, audio, etc, in ADDITION to all input commands...no.

I don't see it happening. On top of the fact, how would you expect multiple people to use the same connection?

The biggest innovation for gaming lately has been how much Steam has taken off, YEARS after it was first started. A download service that saves games onto your account, that acts as a local network, messanger, etc. Essentially it makes PCs have a network as broad and capable as consoles.

And that doesn't require such demanding things dependant on latency, just prefers a broadband connection to download games and updates in a reasonable timeframe.

I'm in for the beta signup, I'll wait and try it, but I don't expect a lot. Lag happens, and when the entire game relies on having none...even in single player...well, I don't see that being much but frustration.

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Yeah, I can imagine that

Yeah, I can imagine that since a lot of people will buy this, then the lag will become a factor, and I guess it would depend on your internet connection too.

I'm no computer expert, but if all the calculations are done by the server and lots of people play them....

Then there's probably going to be subscribtion fees [like x-box live] and so forth.

ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
User is offlineOffline
Where Steam has no fee.

Where Steam has no fee. Laughing out loud

AND has all the latest games, purchasable and downloaded whenever you want!

And it has a large following.  Over 20 million users?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steam_(content_delivery)

Edit: http://tinyurl.com/mh33w clickable version.

check out the wiki page :3 Searching users and games is easy too..it's all very intuitive. I honestly don't think this thing will be able to compete with a freely downloadable program that offers largescale network services and games downloadable at will that you have purchased at any time through them, without paying subscription fees.

That also doesn't require huge bandwith for normal play. Or single player use. And plays well with others. :3

This is what they are competing with...xbox live and psnetworks are both hovering around only 14 million users. Steam is increasing faster than everything else, because of the sheer versitility and security of knowing you do not need to store disks, only logon and play. From any computer, anywhere. And it took years for it to get where it is, with Valve pushing it.

What they are making claims at, has already been done..short of the streaming content 24/7. If it is something like an interactive youtube-gaming experience, I'm going to be saddened. If it actually PROVIDES everything they say, I doubt I will still buy it because I'm using steam, and steam never needs a console upgrade.

Well, never needs one as long as your PC can play games. Which is fairly easy if you only buy a cheap PC every 3 years or so, which most people do.

Honestly, the hardcore FPSers will know that even a split second of latency difference will make or break games. I don't see them giving up their mega gaming rigs that get 100+ FPS in the latest games, just for that slight edge. It has too much of a culture now, even if something could (which I doubt) perform at the same rate.

Besides, what about games like MMOs? They eat up all the bandwith available just showing all the other users. That effectively makes them unavailable on this type of product.

And I'm in an apartment that shares 4 PCs. Bandwith is tight enough as it is. I still hope though :3 It'd be nice to beta test some amazing mythical magic technology that gives perfect performance in games thats comparable to me playing on my laptop at 1920x1200 at 70FPS Laughing out loud

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:hat they are making

Quote:
hat they are making claims at, has already been done..short of the streaming content 24/7.

Um. No.

No, it has not.

This is a concept called 'cloud computing', and it has never been tried in an application like this before (of course, this is also why it may very well flop. We'll have to see).

Quote:
If it is something like an interactive youtube-gaming experience, I'm going to be saddened. If it actually PROVIDES everything they say, I doubt I will still buy it because I'm using steam, and steam never needs a console upgrade.

Uh. Steam is just a community portal and online store.

This is, effectively, a virtual console. You purchase the service via a web browser (yes, I imagine it will be subscription-based), and then enjoy never having to upgrade any of your hardware ever again because the software is being run off of their hardware.

It's nothing like Steam at all. If it was, I wouldn't have gotten very excited. Sticking out tongue

Quote:
Honestly, the hardcore FPSers will know that even a split second of latency difference will make or break games. I don't see them giving up their mega gaming rigs that get 100+ FPS in the latest games, just for that slight edge. It has too much of a culture now, even if something could (which I doubt) perform at the same rate.

The 'hardcore FPSers' number in the, at best, low hundreds. It's a pretty niche scene.

The vast majority of gamers (like, uh, myself) quite readily welcome any breaks we can get on having to constantly upgrade our hardware (as much as I adore dropping $500.00 every year on a new card, and then well over $1000.00 every second year for an upgrade of my processor, ram and motherboard).

If the product works, it'll explode, and it'll spawn a whole new cloud computing scene.

Quote:
Besides, what about games like MMOs? They eat up all the bandwith available just showing all the other users. That effectively makes them unavailable on this type of product.

...I don't think you understand: the only thing being fed to your computer is a video stream. All of the software processing is done remotely. So, yes, they could run an MMO just as well as they could run anything.

There's nothing 'magic' about it (and that's why best effort service was brought-up earlier): you're recieving a video stream of the game, which is being run on a remote server. That's all. It's as mystical as watching a live news broadcast.

The only question is this: can they stream that sucker to you while maintaining the perception of the game being run locally? If they can set-up a portal partner with a service provider, I'd actually bet that yes, they can.

We'll see, though. Have fun with the beta.

Quote:

February 27, 1940

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
I did have an actual

I did have an actual response typed up above. Damn errors. Oh well.

Kevin R Brown wrote:

Quote:

Not when there isn't enough bandwidth in the known universe to allow for even 1/10th of the gaming population on Earth to use that console, let alone half of it said population. Radical my left AND right testical. It's a network that depends entirely on near 100% signal strength and stability that will get slower with each and every user on the network and each and every piece of software its running. And having a centralized system like that means you need insane amounts of memory and security to protect it. It's going to have 100 save files for FFX and another 30 for GTAIII and another 10 for COD? Bullshit. It'll remember one save state for each game, your link says as much. That's 10 steps BACKWARDS for gamers. We haven't had to worry about saving games since batteries went out the window. This system brings it all right back again. No thanks.

Kevin R Brown wrote:

Sucks to be him. I've never been wrong. Of course, I don't often make predictions either. I don't have an audience and advertisers to please, so I don't have to talk out my ass every day about something new.

Kevin R Brown wrote:

Yeah, cause I remember the names of each and every single person in the entire gaming and software industries at any given moment. I'm sure you do too. I'm sure everyone does. I'm such an idiot.

Kevin R Brown wrote:

I'm not saying it won't work either. But if you think for a fraction of a second that it will replace or challenge the current competitors in Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft any time soon, then you're a brainless twat waffle.

Kevin R Brown wrote:
Quote:

lolwut

Vastet, dude, do you know what you can't do with a console game?

Yep. There isn't a lot left. Fiddling with a few settings, for the most part.

Kevin R Brown wrote:
 Add user-created content to it.

You know how many people give a rats ass about user created content? Less than 1% of the gaming population. And it is so overated. 90% of user generated content sucks balls. The rest you have to dig through the crap to find. And all it really accomplishes is requiring you to save 20 GB worth of crap on your PC so you can play online whenever you want.

Oh, and by the way, user generated content is available on the PS3. I'm pretty sure it is on the 360 too.

You know how many big developers care about user generated content? 0. That's right, 0. How much money do they make on a map a user created? None. How many people are going to buy a game because of a map a gamer made? None. How many gamers are going to be sitting there playing the same game for ten years while everyone else supports the industry by buying new games? Not many.

Kevin R Brown wrote:

While I agree that the networking systems for the latest gen consoles are incredible, it pales in comparison to the types of community-building that can be (and have been/are) forged around tinkering with what's under the hood. I mean, No Mutants Allowed? Relic News? The Civilization forums? All of the various community portals for Flight Simulator Mods? The Oblivion mod wiki? Etc

'Splattered'? Man, that just kills me. :D

Ridiculous. Everything you just mentioned is a single game or series. Whereas both Sony and Microsoft have linked thousands of titles with profiles and options that can only expand as time goes on. There is no comparison. PC = Epic Fail.

Kevin R Brown wrote:

That's the whole point smart ass. Developers and console makers don't want gamers spending all their time on one fucking game. They don't make money when that happens. No money, no innovation, no new games, no industry. You seem to want the industry to die. Fuck you.

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Sucks to be him. I've

Quote:
Sucks to be him. I've never been wrong.

lolwut

Yeah, sucks to be one of the wealthiest people on the planet. And you're shown to be incorrect all of the time, dude.

Quote:
You know how many people give a rats ass about user created content? Less than 1% of the gaming population.

Quote:
You know how many big developers care about user generated content? 0. That's right, 0. How much money do they make on a map a user created? None. How many people are going to buy a game because of a map a gamer made? None. How many gamers are going to be sitting there playing the same game for ten years while everyone else supports the industry by buying new games? Not many.

One word:

DotA

Quote:

February 27, 1940

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Ridiculous. Everything

Quote:
Ridiculous. Everything you just mentioned is a single game or series. Whereas both Sony and Microsoft have linked thousands of titles with profiles and options that can only expand as time goes on. There is no comparison. PC = Epic Fail.

Note the word 'Etc'.

Just about every PC title worth installing on your rig has a community surrounding it. If you were actually as involved in the gaming industry as you claim, you'd have already known that.

I mean, WoW is PC exlcusive. Is that an 'Epic Fail'? Starcraft III will be PC exlcusive. You predict Epic Fail for that one?

It might also be worth mentioning why the Starcraft and Warcraft series have such a large fanbase (essentially creating a futures market for any product Blizzard releases): the unparalleled (at the time of their releases) content editors Blizzard packaged with them.

You're just flat-out incorrect; user created content is huge, and grows a company's fanbase so that they can reap big $$$ on their next release. Valve was mentioned earlier, so why not take a look at them as yet another great example:

Team Fortress began as a user-created mod. Are you going to argue that Valve has made no money on it?

Quote:

February 27, 1940

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Kevin R Brown

Kevin R Brown wrote:

Quote:
Sucks to be him. I've never been wrong.

lolwut

Yeah, you keep making an idiot of yourself.

Kevin R Brown wrote:

Yeah, sucks to be one of the wealthiest people on the planet. And you're shown to be incorrect all of the time, dude.

Look who's talking. Getting yourself owned left right and centre.  

Kevin R Brown wrote:

Quote:
You know how many people give a rats ass about user created content? Less than 1% of the gaming population.

Quote:

One word:

DotA

One word: WOW.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Kevin R Brown

Kevin R Brown wrote:

Quote:

Note the word 'Etc'.

Note the words "can only expand as time goes on". Also note the words "linked thousands of titles". Emphasis on the thousands.

Kevin R Brown wrote:

Just about every PC title worth installing on your rig has a community surrounding it. If you were actually as involved in the gaming industry as you claim, you'd have already known that.

I do know that moron. All of those communities are single game based. None of them incorporate all PC titles like MS and Sony have accomplished with their systems. The only thing that compares is Steam. And it requires you to do all sorts of shit people don't want to do. Like allow information to be transmitted without your knowledge. And its social aspect is pathetic compared to either Sony or Microsofts. You fail repeatedly.

Kevin R Brown wrote:

I mean, WoW is PC exlcusive. Is that an 'Epic Fail'?

I was wondering why you had in your infinite stupidity left MMO's out of the last argument. The one and only bragging point the PC still has. Kind of. But then there's Home. Which is free. MS has something similar. Both are going to be superior to anything found on PC today.

Kevin R Brown wrote:
 Starcraft III will be PC exlcusive. You predict Epic Fail for that one?

You mean Starcraft II I think, oh brilliantly moronic one.

And no, I don't predict failure for Starcraft at all. I personally can't wait for it. But one game only flies a system for 6 months to a year. You think Starcraft can compare to Final Fantasy XIII and GTAIV2?

Kevin R Brown wrote:

It might also be worth mentioning why the Starcraft and Warcraft series have such a large fanbase (essentially creating a futures market for any product Blizzard releases): the unparalleled (at the time of their releases) content editors Blizzard packaged with them.

No shit sherlock. How many people have bought either of those games in the last year? 10? 50 people?

Kevin R Brown wrote:

You're just flat-out incorrect; user created content is huge,

You're lying through your teeth. User generated content is something only the hardest core gamers who have the cash to keep a gaming PC are into. That is the barest fraction of people who play games.

Kevin R Brown wrote:
 and grows a company's fanbase so that they can reap big $$$ on their next release.

Bullshit. It translates to money LOST on their next release, because people are still playing the last game. This gimmick only works in reverse if you're a new company, like Blizzard was when Warcraft and Starcraft came out in the first place.

Kevin R Brown wrote:
 Valve was mentioned earlier, so why not take a look at them as yet another great example:

Team Fortress began as a user-created mod. Are you going to argue that Valve has made no money on it?

Show me all this money Valve made off it.

Edited one line for error of omission.

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Yeah, you keep making

Quote:

Quote:
Look who's talking. Getting yourself owned left right and centre.

Alright, just so we're clear, according to you:

- Zero big developers care about user-generated content

- Less than 1% of all gamers give a rat's ass about user-generated content.

...Right?

So, in '96, three guys named John Cook, Robin Walker and Ian Caughley built a mod for id Software's Quake which they called 'Team Fortress'. This user created content, which apparently nobody gave two shits about, took-off like a weasel chugging Red Bull; Team Fortress spin-offs appeared in nearly every multiplayer FPS at the time, including Unreal Tournament and - more importantly - Half-Life.

The Half-Life variant of the mod became so popular (even surpassing that of the original QWTF) that in '99 Valve decided to develop their own version, 'Team Fortress Classic' (with the assistance of John Cook and Robin Walker), which they bundled with the vanilla game and and used to generate new sales volume from an (awesome) aging title.

For almost all of Team Fortress Classic's history, it was the most played online game next to Counter-Strike, period.

Finally, in 2007, Valve drops the Orange Box -  packaged with Team Fortress 2, Half-Life 2, Half-Life 2: Episode 1, Half-Life 2: Episode 2 and Portal. Portal deserves mention as a game inspired by user-created content for Half-Life 2 (...and also deserves mention because, well, it fucking rocks). Team Fortress 2, while no longer simply a user-made mod, obviously drew inspiration from it's predecessor and drew plenty of it's dough from the existing fanbase.

So, it looks like just maybe Valve Corporation cares about user-created content (and hey, why not? It's made a killing for them).

We're not done, though. In 2003 a Warcraft III map creator only known by his alias, Eul, created a custom scenario for the game (using strictly the game's in-box map editor) called 'Defense of the Ancients'. While Eul's first incarnation of the map became popular enough to lead a cult following, it was not until Steve Feak took-on the concept and developed 'Defense of the Ancients: AllStars' that it really took off.

DotA is now played more often han the vanilla game is. Is has spawned an entire new generation of real-time strategy games; Dawn of War and Company of Heroes from Relic Entertainment both owe tremendous inspiration to DotA, and Gas Powered Games (brainchild of Total Annihiltion developer Chris Taylor) is currently developing Demigod in concert with Stardock Corporation - a game that, from the ground up, is built to play like DotA.

The major league gaming tournaments (ESWC, M/SWCG, and WCGA) all include DotA by popular demand and it is played in most asian countries right now by more players than play Counter-Strike.

Now, Blizzard hasn't been able to make any direct sales from DotA, but they have been able to hugely expand their client base - as well as learn about what players like to see - because of it. Starcraft II would've been a smash hit anyway, but DotA compounds this. Blizzard is just going to slay the stats when their next title hits the shelves.

So, it looks like... uh, well, Electronic Arts, GPG, Stardock, Blizzard and most of asia, at the very least, care about user-generated content.

Am I done now?

Well, not quite.

Falcon 4.0 was released in '98 by MicroProse. It was one of the most horrendous debaucheries ever to be put in a box and sold to a consumer - and, at the same time, one of the most ambitious and realistic flight simulators ever to have been released. Thankfully, MicroProse built the game to be modular and, thereby, edit-friendly. A dedicated following of armchair aces not only squashed many of the game's worst bugs and made it stable, but over the years have added jaw-dropping eye-candy to it.

These days, the RedViper and FreeFalcon tinker around with the game so much that it remains one of the most modern-looking and playable sims on the markt.

MicroProse is no longer with us, but they heavily reaped the benefits of a dedicated modder base while they were around. Falcon 4.0 did not flop, despite it's atrocious launch, because it was so hastily and thoroughly patched-up into pristine condition and many buyers knew in advance that they could count on a reliable and gorgeous product so long as they had an internet connection to D/L user-created content.

Or how about Ultima Online? Arguably the first successful subscription-based MMORPG, Ultima Online was released by Origin in '97. It paved the way for the MMORPG genre as we know it today, and one of it's primary premises was/is - you guessed it - user-created content. You make your character, you craft weapons and other items for both personal use and marketing to other players, you can build a house, form a guild... does all of this sound a bit familiar?

It's the foundational trope for every contemporary MMORPG!

An entire genre of games and a very generous portion of the gaming market revolves around user-generated content. It's not even an 'optional' thing in an MMORPG - it's the whole point of playing the game.

And if we back-out from specific games and glance over at consoles for a moment... what's that on your console dashboard? You've got an avatar, you've got a list of songs you can play in favor of the game soundtrack, you've got wallpaper you picked-out... man, it's almost like the console developers have seen that users enjoy blending some personal content in with their gaming experience.

Quote:

February 27, 1940

The Doomed Soul
atheist
The Doomed Soul's picture
User is offlineOffline
After some thorough

After some thorough skimming, im siding with Kevin on the gaming banter, i dont really think Vaset knows what he's talking about here.

What Would Kharn Do?

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Kevin R Brown

Kevin R Brown wrote:

Quote:

Quote:
Look who's talking. Getting yourself owned left right and centre.

Alright, just so we're clear, according to you:

- Zero big developers care about user-generated content

- Less than 1% of all gamers give a rat's ass about user-generated content.

...Right?

Mostly. Blizzard being an exception to the rule.

Kevin R Brown wrote:

So, in '96, three guys named John Cook, Robin Walker and Ian Caughley built a mod for id Software's Quake which they called 'Team Fortress'. This user created content, which apparently nobody gave two shits about,

Stop you right there with your putting words in my mouth. I never said that NOBODY gave two shits about anything. I said the vast majority of gamers don't care about user generated content. On the order of less than 1%. Less than 1% of a million people is still close to 10,000. Taking an estimation of a billion gamers on Earth would make that 1% about a million people. More than enough to make some money, but nowhere near enough to make a killing.

Kevin R Brown wrote:
took-off like a weasel chugging Red Bull; Team Fortress spin-offs appeared in nearly every multiplayer FPS at the time, including Unreal Tournament and - more importantly - Half-Life.

The Half-Life variant of the mod became so popular (even surpassing that of the original QWTF) that in '99 Valve decided to develop their own version, 'Team Fortress Classic' (with the assistance of John Cook and Robin Walker), which they bundled with the vanilla game and and used to generate new sales volume from an (awesome) aging title.

For almost all of Team Fortress Classic's history, it was the most played online game next to Counter-Strike, period.

It's not user generated when the people work for your company. It's company generated. And it wasn't their version that was released, it was Valve's own version. Self owned twice in three paragraphs.

Kevin R Brown wrote:

Finally, in 2007, Valve drops the Orange Box -  packaged with Team Fortress 2, Half-Life 2, Half-Life 2: Episode 1, Half-Life 2: Episode 2 and Portal. Portal deserves mention as a game inspired by user-created content for Half-Life 2 (...and also deserves mention because, well, it fucking rocks). Team Fortress 2, while no longer simply a user-made mod, obviously drew inspiration from it's predecessor and drew plenty of it's dough from the existing fanbase.

So, it looks like just maybe Valve Corporation cares about user-created content (and hey, why not? It's made a killing for them).

Inspired by user generated content does not equal user generated content. I asked you to show me the riches companies have made because of user generated content. So far you've got nothing but an indirect influence.

Kevin R Brown wrote:

We're not done, though. In 2003 a Warcraft III map creator only known by his alias, Eul, created a custom scenario for the game (using strictly the game's in-box map editor) called 'Defense of the Ancients'. While Eul's first incarnation of the map became popular enough to lead a cult following, it was not until Steve Feak took-on the concept and developed 'Defense of the Ancients: AllStars' that it really took off.

DotA is now played more often han the vanilla game is. Is has spawned an entire new generation of real-time strategy games; Dawn of War and Company of Heroes from Relic Entertainment both owe tremendous inspiration to DotA, and Gas Powered Games (brainchild of Total Annihiltion developer Chris Taylor) is currently developing Demigod in concert with Stardock Corporation - a game that, from the ground up, is built to play like DotA.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ still mia.....

Kevin R Brown wrote:
The major league gaming tournaments (ESWC, M/SWCG, and WCGA) all include DotA by popular demand and it is played in most asian countries right now by more players than play Counter-Strike.

Not making the developer a lick of $$$$$$$$

Kevin R Brown wrote:

Now, Blizzard hasn't been able to make any direct sales from DotA,

Aha, finally. There is no $$. Big surprise. Oh wait...

But that's Blizzard. This started with Valve, so the invitation is still open.

Kevin R Brown wrote:
but they have been able to hugely expand their client base - as well as learn about what players like to see - because of it. Starcraft II would've been a smash hit anyway, but DotA compounds this. Blizzard is just going to slay the stats when their next title hits the shelves.

Bullshit. Starcraft will sell on its own merits and Blizzards standards. DotA will have insignificant impact.

Kevin R Brown wrote:

So, it looks like... uh, well, Electronic Arts, GPG, Stardock, Blizzard and most of asia, at the very least, care about user-generated content.

EA cares about user-generated content? Rofl. Idiot. Where's all the user generated maps and cars in Burnout? All the arena's in their sports games? Should I go on? 99% of EA's games (and they have a lot of games) have very little or absolutely NO user generated content. Yeah, they sure care. Lots and lots.

Blizzard I'll give you, though only because they've established it as part of the way they do business. Removing a component of something you've offered since your inception never goes down well. Though on the other hand, theres no evidence that people would abandon them en masse if they dropped it either.

GPG and Stardock don't qualify as "big".

Asia isn't a company, let alone a big one.

So again, you fail.

Kevin R Brown wrote:

Am I done now?

Well, not quite.

Oh goody, more of your stupidity.

Kevin R Brown wrote:

Falcon 4.0 was released in '98 by MicroProse. It was one of the most horrendous debaucheries ever to be put in a box and sold to a consumer - and, at the same time, one of the most ambitious and realistic flight simulators ever to have been released. Thankfully, MicroProse built the game to be modular and, thereby, edit-friendly. A dedicated following of armchair aces not only squashed many of the game's worst bugs and made it stable, but over the years have added jaw-dropping eye-candy to it.

These days, the RedViper and FreeFalcon tinker around with the game so much that it remains one of the most modern-looking and playable sims on the markt.

MicroProse is no longer with us, but they heavily reaped the benefits of a dedicated modder base while they were around. Falcon 4.0 did not flop, despite it's atrocious launch, because it was so hastily and thoroughly patched-up into pristine condition and many buyers knew in advance that they could count on a reliable and gorgeous product so long as they had an internet connection to D/L user-created content.

So now you're trying to justify the shameful practice of releasing games before they're done in the guise of users fixing a companies broken idea so the company can make money for doing nothing? This is getting truly sad.

Kevin R Brown wrote:

Or how about Ultima Online? Arguably the first successful subscription-based MMORPG, Ultima Online was released by Origin in '97. It paved the way for the MMORPG genre as we know it today, and one of it's primary premises was/is - you guessed it - user-created content. You make your character, you craft weapons and other items for both personal use and marketing to other players, you can build a house, form a guild... does all of this sound a bit familiar?

That's not user generated content moron. That's been around since the first paper RPG's. Since the first RP of any kind. It's the whole point of putting RP in the fucking acronym. Epic fail.

Kevin R Brown wrote:
It's the foundational trope for every contemporary MMORPG!

Bullshit. ROLEPLAYING is the foundation for EVERY MMORPG. User generated content doesn't exist in them. Not in Runescape, not in Ultima Online, not in World of Warcraft, not in Final Fantasy XI. None of them.

Picking a hairstyle and picture from a list does not equal user generated content. It equals picking a hairstyle and picture from a list.

Kevin R Brown wrote:

An entire genre of games and a very generous portion of the gaming market revolves around user-generated content. It's not even an 'optional' thing in an MMORPG - it's the whole point of playing the game.

And your argument was self owned as it was being typed. Convenience at its finest. The only portions of the gaming industry that even notices user generated content on a day to day basis is RTS, FPS, and Simulation. The rest ignores it en masse. 

Kevin R Brown wrote:

And if we back-out from specific games and glance over at consoles for a moment... what's that on your console dashboard? You've got an avatar, you've got a list of songs you can play in favor of the game soundtrack, you've got wallpaper you picked-out... man, it's almost like the console developers have seen that users enjoy blending some personal content in with their gaming experience.

Oh yeah, that's user generated all right. Picking an avatar off a list is user generated. Downloading songs onto your system is user generated. Picking a picture is user generated.

/sarcasm

Thomathy
Superfan
Thomathy's picture
User is offlineOffline
Someone please pass the

Someone please pass the popcorn ... and the lube!

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
   No lube

No lube though.

The Doomed Soul
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Gonna toss out a few

Gonna toss out a few snippits

Vastet wrote:

It's not user generated when the people work for your company. It's company generated. And it wasn't their version that was released, it was Valve's own version. Self owned twice in three paragraphs.----blurb--- I asked you to show me the riches companies have made because of user generated content. So far you've got nothing but an indirect influence

Company didnt generate it, they bought out its creators to the production right, both sides made ALOT of money.

Along with Counter-Strike, How many people bought Half-Life JUST to play Counter-Strike? i sure as fuck did (3 times actually... >.> CD's kept going MIA  )

To 3-4 years? before the crew behind C.S were bought out, couple months after, a stand alone product was released and sold in stores, THE EXACT same version that was FREE on the internet (by legal means, of course )

Vastet wrote:

EA cares about user-generated content? Rofl. Idiot. Where's all the user generated maps and cars in Burnout? All the arena's in their sports games? Should I go on? 99% of EA's games (and they have a lot of games) have very little or absolutely NO user generated content. Yeah, they sure care. Lots and lots.

Oh they care alright... but not in a good way... its EA after all >.>  EA does everything in its power to stop its "Fanbase" from tinkering under the hood of its crap-tacular games. "Hard-coded" became a 4 letter word to the boy's at Project Reality. EA tried to sue them once, but then realised how much money they could make off them, before "embacing" them >.<

http://www.realitymod.com/

So yes, EA cares... in their own... fucked up way, they care

What Would Kharn Do?

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
The Doomed Soul

The Doomed Soul wrote:
Company didnt generate it, they bought out its creators to the production right, both sides made ALOT of money.

Along with Counter-Strike, How many people bought Half-Life JUST to play Counter-Strike? i sure as fuck did (3 times actually... >.> CD's kept going MIA  )

To 3-4 years? before the crew behind C.S were bought out, couple months after, a stand alone product was released and sold in stores, THE EXACT same version that was FREE on the internet (by legal means, of course )

All the material I've seen regarding this particular focus of the conversation suggested or straight out claimed that it was mostly or entirely new. Could you perhaps give me a source, since Kevin is unable or unwilling to?

The Doomed Soul wrote:

Oh they care alright... but not in a good way... its EA after all >.>  EA does everything in its power to stop its "Fanbase" from tinkering under the hood of its crap-tacular games. "Hard-coded" became a 4 letter word to the boy's at Project Reality. EA tried to sue them once, but then realised how much money they could make off them, before "embacing" them >.<

http://www.realitymod.com/

So yes, EA cares... in their own... fucked up way, they care

I'll give you that EA is willing to leech off of anyone and everyone by any means necessary, though I don't think that means they have an actual interest in user generated content. More reminds me of Nintendo trying to sue people way back when for putting out games for the NES without a license.

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
*Sigh*'User generated' just

*Sigh*

'User generated' just means inserting your own content into the game (whether from an external source or using an internal editor that the developer included). 99% of EA Games don't have internal editors? Are you sure you want to make that claim, Vastet?

Bear in mind that the vast majority of EA's contemporary titles are sports games (hockey, football, baseball, glf, racing, etc)... and, last I checked, I'm pretty sure that most of these games include editors for making your own teams, tuning your own car, sculpting yur own golfer, etc.

If that 'doesn't count' for some reason in your own mind, well, fine.

Just FYI, though, for the guy you're apparently feeding the ownage to, I'm not the one being ridiculed and laughed at in Skype right now. Sticking out tongue

Quote:

February 27, 1940

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Kevin R Brown

Kevin R Brown wrote:

*Sigh*

'User generated' just means inserting your own content into the game (whether from an external source or using an internal editor that the developer included). 99% of EA Games don't have internal editors? Are you sure you want to make that claim, Vastet?

An internal editor means that content is internal. By definition, it is not user generated.

Kevin R Brown wrote:

Bear in mind that the vast majority of EA's contemporary titles are sports games (hockey, football, baseball, glf, racing, etc)... and, last I checked, I'm pretty sure that most of these games include editors for making your own teams, tuning your own car, sculpting yur own golfer, etc.

Internal editors are not providers of user generated content.

Kevin R Brown wrote:

If that 'doesn't count' for some reason in your own mind, well, fine.

Just because you think picking a few options is user generated content does not make it so.

Kevin R Brown wrote:

Just FYI, though, for the guy you're apparently feeding the ownage to, I'm not the one being ridiculed and laughed at in Skype right now. Sticking out tongue

Since you want to bring outside observers into the conversation; my coworkers and colleagues have had a fun time laughing at your continued stupidity. Not one person has agreed with your ridiculous positions. And I could care less what people are saying on Skype. Smiling

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:An internal editor

Quote:
An internal editor means that content is internal. By definition, it is not user generated.

Okay; how does the action of creating content using an internal editor make the content 'not user generated' by definition?

This seems rather non-sequitor.

EDIT: I mean, by this definition, Spore's content - all of it - must be considered hard-coded, then. And every map ever made in a map editor. And every mod ever made for Company of Heroes or Dawn of War, since they're all made using mod tools released by Relic.

...What does count as user-generated content, under this definition? And what's the important difference between user-generated content and hard-coded content?

Quote:

February 27, 1940

Renee Obsidianwords
High Level DonorModeratorRRS local affiliate
Renee Obsidianwords's picture
User is offlineOffline
Kevin R Brown wrote:Check

Kevin R Brown wrote:

Check that shit out.

Props to Renee for digging that up!

If this thing actually works, dude, I'm all over it.

No problem. Glad it helped create some healthy conversation  Smiling

Slowly building a blog at ~

http://obsidianwords.wordpress.com/

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Kevin R Brown wrote:Quote:An

Kevin R Brown wrote:

Quote:

Okay; how does the action of creating content using an internal editor make the content 'not user generated' by definition?

To flip this right back at you: How does using one of two available facial structures qualify as being user generated? Which is exactly the foundation of your argument. It doesn't matter if there's two or two billion choices, it's still a choice on a list that the designers came up with, not the users.

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:To flip this right

Quote:
To flip this right back at you: How does using one of two available facial structures qualify as being user generated? Which is exactly the foundation of your argument. It doesn't matter if there's two or two billion choices, it's still a choice on a list that the designers came up with, not the users.

Well, okay.

I think the first thing to do would be to recognize that all content is going to rest on a spectrum, from things that I have much more creative influence over to things that I have very little or no creative influence over. We might then also want to recognize that 'modding' & editing in gaming is hardly exclusive to video gaming.

Warhammer 40K is actually an excellent showcase for the spectrum I'm talking about. On the extreme end of the user-generated content, there are conversions; models that have been either dramatically altered or entirely built from scratch by a player (typically still using different resin pieces released by Games Workshop):

...Then, as you start approaching the other end of the spectrum, you get into the more basic elements of user-made content: painting schemes, army lists, etc. Games Workshop sells you the tools to make an army (paint, resin sprues, glue, etc); actually making models and putting together an army is up to the user.

At the opposite end of the spectrum, away from the creative side, you get into the game's rules architecture and thematic flavor. If you're playing 40K, you'll be playing by the same rules as any other player - regardless of what their army looks like. You're also playing within the 40K universe that Games Workshop created.

We talked about Magic: the Gathering in another thread, and I think it makes another good example. Wizards of the Coast just prints the cards and sells them to you; making a deck is up to you (they also sell pre-constructed thematic decks, but that's an optional element). Again, the user takes the tools and builds something unique with them - their own personal deck.

D&D (and most roleplaying games... but we'll stick with D&D for now, given it's notoriety and one other special thing I'll bring-up in a moment) is yet another good example; players take the basic rules and generate their own unique character, within given guidelines. I think an important thing to note was that it wasn't always this way at all; the first incarnations of pen & paper roleplaying games involved completely pre-generated characters that players had very little creative influence over their characters - as the game evolved it allowed players greater and greater creative influence over their characters as players demanded it.

More interestingly, D20 - the rules architecture D&D uses - has been used as a tool to create all kinds of other content!

Now, Wizards published a few of the D20 products themselves (most notably, above, D20 Modern and Star Wars), but the tools can and are being used by anyone with the desire to make their own homebrew game without having to go through the trouble of building their own rules architecture from scratch (and, as an added bonus, their new game uses an already established rules standard, so it will already have an automatic appeal to players who like D20).

So, approach video gaming with the same standard. On the really extreme end of the creative spectrum there are mods like, say, Team Fortress classic; the players create their own models using software like 3DSMax, Milkshape or Blender and import them into the game's architecture (typically doing so by using modding tools released by the developer - though in some cases the game's architecture is so open-ended out of the box that tools aren't necessary. Hi, Total Annihilation!) and play around with the stats in the game to get the desired result (though the overall rules architecture hasn't changed, and things like the game's engine obviously remain the same).

As we approach the other end of the spectrum we get things like DotA and other customized maps, which still play significantly differently from the regular game but do not use any external tools; only those which the developer has provided. I am effectively making my own units in Warcraft III when I change their stats around, even if I'm not importing my own sprites.

Further along still, there's custom maps, customizable characters and inventory, etc. There's arguably even 'custom' ways of playing a game (think of tropes like 'Zergling rushing' or 'PeeWee spamming' or 'Lurker Dropping'); I haven't made the maptiles, but I have used them to make the map. I haven't made the hair, eyes, nose, etc, but I definately did use them to make a unique face.

I mean, Lego Corporation makes the Lego blocks. Does that mean it's accurate to characterize every Lego creation as something Lego Corporation made? Or does the user deserve a fair portion of the credit?

Even Electronic Arts agrees with this definition.

But, whatever. It's not like you're going to admit that you're wrong anyway.

Continue WTF PWNIGN!@!!!! me if yo want. I think I'm finished with this topic until OnLive actually launches.

Quote:

February 27, 1940

The Doomed Soul
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:All the

Vastet wrote:

All the material I've seen regarding this particular focus of the conversation suggested or straight out claimed that it was mostly or entirely new. Could you perhaps give me a source, since Kevin is unable or unwilling to?

What is "mostly or entirely new"?

Team Fortress?

Counter-Strike?

When they were created, or sold? What, when, where, and how they were designed?

I could find a source if i understood what i was being asked to find, but my reading comprehension is failing me atm.

What Would Kharn Do?

ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
User is offlineOffline
The only reason I bought

The only reason I bought warcraft 3 was because of user-generated content. The game itself sucked. I hated the "hero" things, it made 100x more micromanagement over one unit and less tactical organization.

I only ever played it online with "use map settings" and things that other people made.  I expected there to be as much support as in starcraft, and I wasn't dissapointed.

neptewn
neptewn's picture
User is offlineOffline
Kevin R Brown

Kevin R Brown wrote:

Quote:
hat they are making claims at, has already been done..short of the streaming content 24/7.

Um. No.

No, it has not.

This is a concept called 'cloud computing', and it has never been tried in an application like this before (of course, this is also why it may very well flop. We'll have to see).

The telecommunication companies have been operating in a cloud environment for years, that's where the cloud term came from, and with the deployment of the softswitch solutions, it truly is server based up into the application layer.

Heck we just deployed this last year over our video network. We have a small client embeded in our set top box firmware that allows our interactive guide to remotely access a server that is hosting games. Previous versions of our guide required the game to be downloaded onto the Set Top Box but the recent solution offers both, some downloadable and some remote option games. Keep in mind we host these servers internally and allocate 30 Megs of bandwidth for video delivery per user, so latency and over subscription are not an issue.

Go to any hotel, they are already doing this.. They host remote servers in a basement or closet  somewhere, that offer interactive "Console" gaming. The only difference is the distance of the connection were talking here and these guys have a client on a PC rather than a set top box.

I'm just highly suspect of this latency free environment. If they can do that, it simply begs the question. Why make a game? Cisco, Juniper Networks, Qualcomm, Alcatel-Lucent, Nortel, Motorola, Redback, etc have been trying to deliver a latency free environment since the get go. These guys just fixed the internet...

http://ipnetwork.bgtmo.ip.att.net/pws/network_delay.html

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Kevin R Brown wrote: EDIT:

Kevin R Brown wrote:

EDIT: I mean, by this definition, Spore's content - all of it - must be considered hard-coded, then. And every map ever made in a map editor. And every mod ever made for Company of Heroes or Dawn of War, since they're all made using mod tools released by Relic.

...What does count as user-generated content, under this definition? And what's the important difference between user-generated content and hard-coded content?

I don't know enough about Spore to make a comment on it, and I don't feel like looking into it at the moment.

Maps however are the perfect example of user generated content. You aren't just picking an item out of a list, you're choosing where and how it is applied. You are changing the focus of strategy and tactics, which are the biggest focus of the game. You are manipulating the values of participants and the terrain. You can even add objects that didn't exist in the original game, if you happen to know what you're doing. You can even create your own story to go with the maps.

The Doomed Soul wrote:

Vastet wrote:

What is "mostly or entirely new"?

Team Fortress?

Counter-Strike?

When they were created, or sold? What, when, where, and how they were designed?

I could find a source if i understood what i was being asked to find, but my reading comprehension is failing me atm.

Sorry, I wasn't clear enough. I'll try again. From what I can determine:

Team Fortress was released.

Valve hires people who released Team Fortress.

Team Fortress is modified and released as a new product easily distinguishable from the original.

True or false? Preferrably with a link.

Kevin R Brown wrote:

a long and well written post, finally.

I see a significant dividing line between simply fiddling with appearences(like making a character look like someone specific), and actually altering the gameplay and mechanics of a game(by generating the very field the game is played on). Anything after that line qualifies as User Generated or Created Content. Anything before it qualifies as User Defined or Selected Content.

Edit to add something that I shouldn't have left out.

User defined/selected content has become a staple of the industry. It has a significant impact on sales. People like to make a hockey player or a wrestler that looks like them. Not having the option will mean you get slammed by critics and gamers everywhere.

User generated/created content is an entirely different situation. The vast majority of gamers are casual. These people play a game anywhere between once or twice a day to once or twice a year. They have neither the time nor the inclination to create their own shit to play around with. It takes way too long and the results can depend on a number of different things; from capability to determination. Having this option will increase your likelyhood of gaining a hardcore audience, but the casuals won't even notice, let alone care.

ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
User is offlineOffline
:3

http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=859&type=expert&pid=1

Someone that reviewed the current ongoing beta.