Mars Talk

BebekCucuk
User is offlineOffline
Mars Talk

Hello everyone. 

It has come to my attention that there are quite a few individuals that post here that have some seriously big brains. I intend to take advantage of that. This is my first installment.

The intended purpose of this post is rather unassuming. I am asking for those who know or, failing that, have more time than I do to post the most recent state of research on Mars. For example:

Has liquid H²O really been detected on the planet?

What was the final skinny on that bit of Mars picked up in Antarctica?

I have a question about Martian magnetic fields. Like, are there any analogous to those around Earth?

Is Mars 'geologically' active, as far as we know? If not, why not?

Those are  pretty much the unanswered questions that intrigue me off the top of my head. Thanks for any serious responses. I am back to studying.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Has liquid H²O really been

Has liquid H²O really been detected on the planet?

Not that I'm aware of. Plenty of ice. Plenty of evidence of the previous existance of water too, but no surface water on the planet today that I'm aware of.

What was the final skinny on that bit of Mars picked up in Antarctica?

I'm not sure what you're talking about. A rock that was from Mars found in Antarctica?

I have a question about Martian magnetic fields. Like, are there any analogous to those around Earth?

Mars Global Surveyor magnetic fields investigation wrote:

Mission

The Mars Global Surveyor magnetic fields investigation provided fast vector measurements of the Martian magnetic field over a wide dynamic range. The fundamental objectives of this investigation were

1. to establish the nature of the magnetic field of Mars,
    2. to develop appropriate models for its representation, which take into account the internal sources of magnetism and the effects of the interaction of the solar wind, and
    3. to map the Martian crustal remanent field to a resolution consistent with the Mars Global Surveyor orbit altitude and ground track separation.

Results

• Mars does not presently have a global magnetic field but had one early in its life, similar to that of Earth. However, Mars does have very strong crustal magnetic fields, more than 30 times stronger than those of Earth.
  • Developed a detailed map of the magnetic fields of crustal sources.
  • The absence of magnetization in large impact basins allowed for the first time to establish the time of cessation of the Martian dynamo, more than 3.5 billion years ago.
  • The absence of a global magnetic field for billions of years has contributed to the erosion of Mars atmosphere by the solar wind and the loss of water.
  • Established a correlation of the horizontal component of the magnetic field with upstream solar wind dynamic pressure.

More to do

• Studying the interaction of Mars with the solar wind provides information on how the atmosphere has been stripped away over the age of the solar system.
  • Improving the magnetic field map of crustal sources for dating the age of the crust and correlating with geology.
  • Provide magnetic field measurements to supplement data from Mars Express (MEX) and Mars Odyssey.
  • Correlate solar wind "proxy" data with data from the WIND and ACE spacecraft.
  • http://mgs-mager.gsfc.nasa.gov/
  •  

Is Mars 'geologically' active, as far as we know? If not, why not?

Yes, in a sense. There's wind, which is considered a geological activity. Volcanism has not been confirmed, but it is possible, to my knowledge.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

BebekCucuk
    User is offlineOffline
    Hey, thanks for the response

Hey, thanks for the response Vastet. Particularly for the MGS mag field investigation study.

Like 10 years ago, a meteorite was supposedly found in Antarctica that upon investigation revealed micro-tubules. There was some controversy over it. Just curious what the final outcome of that was.

Any way, what kind of gaming do you do? The only game I play anymore is Galactic Civ II (TotA). For maybe < 2 hrs./wk.

Vastet
    atheistBloggerSuperfan
    Vastet's picture
    User is offlineOffline
    No problem. I do vaguely

No problem. Smiling

I do vaguely remember at least one or two rocks that came from Mars that were found on Earth, but I can't remember if I saw any end results on the matter.

I'm into pretty well everything in gaming, I just don't have the money or the time to truly keep up with it. Actually, I'm not sure anyone could, they could just do better than I can. Obviously I like some things more than others, and there are some games that literally suck for various reasons, but for a brief list of some of the video games/series I pay more attention to on average than others:

Final Fantasy, Mortal Kombat, Street Fighter, Grand Theft Auto, Burnout, Star Wars, Star Craft, Twisted Metal, Doom, Quake.

But video games are only one type of gaming. Sticking out tongue

Go from cards to board games to full fledged RPG's like Dungeons & Dragons and Star Wars. I pretty well like it all. Smiling

The Doomed Soul
    atheist
    The Doomed Soul's picture
    User is offlineOffline
    Vastet wrote:Final Fantasy,

Vastet wrote:

Final Fantasy, Mortal Kombat, Street Fighter, Grand Theft Auto, Burnout, Star Wars, Star Craft, Twisted Metal, Doom, Quake.

yay derail!

Only the classics eh?

What Would Kharn Do?

Jeffrick
    High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
    Jeffrick's picture
    User is offlineOffline
    Mars rock samples.

I typed in Mars rock samples on google and came up with this:

http://www.space.com/news/meteorite_auction_000824.html   

It's amazing what you can find on the web.

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?

Vastet
    atheistBloggerSuperfan
    Vastet's picture
    User is offlineOffline
    The Doomed Soul wrote:Vastet

The Doomed Soul wrote:

Vastet wrote:

yay derail!

Only the classics eh?

Haven't had a lot of opportunity lately to get into newer games. Just as I was wrapping up GTAIV my roomates PS3 stopped reading blu-ray. His 360 completely died a year ago or so. Wii I just have little interest in. Not enough power, too much dancing. Maybe if I had extra cash and the other systems still worked properly, but I don't and they don't.

And with a sudden possible move coming, I'm hoarding my money. lol

Answers in Gene...
    High Level Donor
    Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
    User is offlineOffline
    Well, I am reasonably

Well, I am reasonably sure that the OP is asking about AH84001. It appears to be of Martian origin and was found in Antarctica back in the early 80's. There are actually 30+ known Martian meteorites scattered around but this one was found under electron microscopy to have some tiny structures that could possibly have been fossilized bacteria. As far as it goes, there is no consensus on whether the meteorite was contaminated by earthly life or not.

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
    Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=

BebekCucuk
    User is offlineOffline
    That's it.

Answers in Gene Simmons wrote:

Well, I am reasonably sure that the OP is asking about AH84001. It appears to be of Martian origin and was found in Antarctica back in the early 80's. There are actually 30+ known Martian meteorites scattered around but this one was found under electron microscopy to have some tiny structures that could possibly have been fossilized bacteria. As far as it goes, there is no consensus on whether the meteorite was contaminated by earthly life or not.

That's the one. Thanks.