Why so much hate?

Brion
Brion's picture
Posts: 86
Joined: 2007-05-13
User is offlineOffline
Why so much hate?

It's been here forever, and I don't understand why people hate each other for miniscule things.  It seems like no matter where I go, there's something happening in the world because of hate.

 

I did a speech on Hate Crimes in my speech class, victims were all gay men, or black men, or Jewish.

 

Whenever I play Call of Duty on xbox, people are always insulting one another, calling them gay faggots (happy sticks?) or saying they were going to kill them.  I do it too, but I don't say it to them, I say it to my cousin who has to hear me rant on about it.  I just left a game today because I was getting frustrated and I'm trying to cut down on my temper, so I left.  I was the host of the game, so the game ended.  Immediately right as it ended someone said "Who the fuck is the fucking host?"

On another game, we lost pretty badly and of course the other teams response is always "wow you guys got raped!" Or someone on the losing team will say "you guys fucking suck" because somehow HE is the best player in the world and must judge his team because they lost the game, not him.

There's hate while driving.  I can't tell you the number of times i've yelled at someone in my truck for somone making a stupid turn or not having their blinker on or something minor.  My uncle's car was totaled because somone pissed him off while driving and he decided to race him and got knocked off the road.

There's hate in the religious community, between countries, between the same races... the list goes on and on and on.

 

So where did we get the notion that it's part of the norm to hate one another?

"Give a man a fish, and he'll eat for a day. Give a man a religion, and he'll starve to death praying for fish." - Anonymous
"If God doesn't like the way I live, let him tell me, not you." -Anonymous


Cpt_pineapple
atheist
Cpt_pineapple's picture
Posts: 5492
Joined: 2007-04-12
User is offlineOffline
I think the examples you

I think the examples you cited fall Frustration-aggresion theory. The other people are preventing you from obtaining your goals. [winning the game or getting to where ever you are without dealing with stupid drivers]

 

As for broader hate such as between different groups, there's Realtive Deprivation i.e that your group deserves more and te other groups are taking it.

 

Also creating an in group and out group can lead to aggresion, that is your more likely to help people your group and show aggression to those of the out group since you may percieve them as competing with you.

 

Aggression towards others is an unfortunate baggage left from evolutionary heratige.

 

 

 

 


Jormungander
atheistScience Freak
Jormungander's picture
Posts: 938
Joined: 2008-07-15
User is offlineOffline
Brion wrote:So where did we

Brion wrote:

So where did we get the notion that it's part of the norm to hate one another?

Since when hasn't hating others been the norm? The oldest human skeleton found in North America (not including those four ones recently found in an underwater cave in Mexico) is a skeleton of a man with a spear head lodged in his pelvis. Be glad we mostly say verbally hateful things these days rather than stab at one another with weapons.

"You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their necks and we hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours."
British General Charles Napier while in India


DamnDirtyApe
Silver Member
DamnDirtyApe's picture
Posts: 666
Joined: 2008-02-15
User is offlineOffline
Dude, I'm guessing you were

Dude, I'm guessing you were blasting pixellated humans away in a first person shooter game when the hate just became too much to bear.  And I'm also guessing that you were doing that because on a good day, that's a really fun thing for you to do.  And that's totally cool,  but maybe you should consider what other things you appreciate every day were produced by that horrible hateful impulse that burns within us all.

"The whole conception of God is a conception derived from ancient Oriental despotisms. It is a conception quite unworthy of free men."
--Bertrand Russell


mrjonno
Posts: 726
Joined: 2007-02-26
User is offlineOffline
Computer games ,sport and

Computer games ,sport and even capitalism are just more civilized versions of war and that is extremely unlikely to change


Brion
Brion's picture
Posts: 86
Joined: 2007-05-13
User is offlineOffline
Jormungander wrote:Brion

Jormungander wrote:

Brion wrote:

So where did we get the notion that it's part of the norm to hate one another?

Since when hasn't hating others been the norm? The oldest human skeleton found in North America (not including those four ones recently found in an underwater cave in Mexico) is a skeleton of a man with a spear head lodged in his pelvis. Be glad we mostly say verbally hateful things these days rather than stab at one another with weapons.

 

We don't stab each other with weapons because we've upgraded our weaponry.  Now we are able to shoot them for not agreeing with us, or blow them up, or torture them.

I agree that it is mostly verbal hate now, but doesn't verbal hate usually go to physical harm shortly after?

"Give a man a fish, and he'll eat for a day. Give a man a religion, and he'll starve to death praying for fish." - Anonymous
"If God doesn't like the way I live, let him tell me, not you." -Anonymous


EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
Posts: 3917
Joined: 2008-01-17
User is offlineOffline
Brion wrote:So where did we

Brion wrote:

So where did we get the notion that it's part of the norm to hate one another?

Because it worked(evolutionary success). Racism, selfishness, belligerence, hording, gay bashing, bullying, etc... must have had some advantages throughout the development of our species and social order. Otherwise we wouldn't be stuck with it.

It is also a product of our overpopulation. We have competition for resources, with competition where the steaks are life or death comes hatred.

Taxation is the price we pay for failing to build a civilized society. The higher the tax level, the greater the failure. A centrally planned totalitarian state represents a complete defeat for the civilized world, while a totally voluntary society represents its ultimate success. --Mark Skousen


Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
Posts: 13210
Joined: 2006-12-25
User is offlineOffline
Re: OP;I think you are

Re: OP;

I think you are exaggerating anger and lack of manners into hate. I can be pretty vicious with people that I don't actually have hate towards on a temporary basis, as can many people I've known throughout the years.

Actually, I'm not sure I've ever felt hate in the first place. Certainly not as it is generally defined.

Proud Canadian, Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.


Boon Docks
Posts: 415
Joined: 2007-03-04
User is offlineOffline
Why?

 

 

    Why so much hate?  Maybe because we are good at it.   We as a society accept poor behavior,  Much of this poor behavior beginning with "the customer is always right" policy in retail.  Man I hate that phrase.  Manners are thrown out the proverbial window and rude, nasty behavior is allowed to take over.


Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 15738
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is onlineOnline
Quote:I did a speech on Hate

Quote:
I did a speech on Hate Crimes in my speech class, victims were all gay men, or black men, or Jewish.

If I had been in that same class, I would have done a speech on the dangers of political correctness.

Mind you, I am with you on minimizing and marginalizing bigotry. But I do get a severe lip twitch when I hear BIG BROTHER thought crime words such as "HATE CRIMES"

You do realize that Christians can use that phrase(hate crimes)against atheists for merely calling Jesus fiction. Do you really want our government having that kind of power of censorship?

COMMON LAW already says that you cannot, for any reason, physically harm, or advocate the physical harm of someone else.

There is no such thing as "Jealousy Crime" laws where a spouse beats his wife for talking to another man. There are laws against assaulting anyone for any reason.

In the interest of ending bigotry, we must not kill free speech and we must protect dissent, even the words that might offend us.

"HATE CRIME" smacks of 1984 double speak, and as well intended as that kind of language might be, government protectionism is a bad tactic to use and will back fire in the long term putting government in the position of playing thought police. And as an atheist, and a minority, I am not going to give my government that kind of power, when common law already protects me.

 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


The Doomed Soul
atheist
The Doomed Soul's picture
Posts: 2148
Joined: 2007-08-31
User is offlineOffline
mrjonno wrote:Computer games

mrjonno wrote:

Computer games ,sport and even capitalism are just more civilized versions of war and that is extremely unlikely to change

i've been in combat.. and i used to own an xbox... suffice to say

Real war is far more civilized >.>

What Would Kharn Do?


Jormungander
atheistScience Freak
Jormungander's picture
Posts: 938
Joined: 2008-07-15
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:Quote:I did a

Brian37 wrote:

Quote:
I did a speech on Hate Crimes in my speech class, victims were all gay men, or black men, or Jewish.

If I had been in that same class, I would have done a speech on the dangers of political correctness.

And if that class was run by the clowns who run my university's writing and gender studies classes, you would have failed. In those classes you either play along and pretend to buy into their bullshit or you fail. I won't bore anyone here with anedotes about how blinded by dogma the TAs who ran those classes were; but let's just say that would understand in those classes that standing up and clearly explaining what was wrong with what was being said is a bad idea.

"You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their necks and we hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours."
British General Charles Napier while in India


HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
Posts: 4100
Joined: 2008-02-21
User is offlineOffline
The Doomed Soul wrote:i've

The Doomed Soul wrote:

i've been in combat.. and i used to own an xbox... 

and now you're a florist. Right? Am I right?

Aw, c'mon, lie to me.

Saint Will: no gyration without funkstification.
fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence


ragdish
atheist
ragdish's picture
Posts: 461
Joined: 2007-12-31
User is offlineOffline
The right to offend

Do the following images promote hate?

 

There are many Asian Indians who are offended by Peter Sellers portrayal of of an Indian in The Party and Walt Disney's The Jungle Book written by Rudyard Kipling. His stories stirs up British colonialism and "White Man's Burden."

I want to state categorically that as an Indian I love both The Party and The Jungle Book and I couldn't give a fuck if there are folks whose feelings get hurt by these images. That is, in a free society, citizens have the inalienable right to offend. Hate only flourishes when speech is restricted and censored. I dread the day when atheism is regarded as hate speech towards religion.