The Onion goes Poe

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
The Onion goes Poe

It's kind of old, but I just found it, so sorry if this has already been passed around.  In light of the recent decision by the church in Brazil to excommunicate doctors for saving a nine year old girl's life, it's kind of difficult to recognize this article as humor anymore.  It's kind of a reverse Poe.  Even when atheists make fun of Christians, it becomes difficult to tell when they're trying to be funny and when they're being serious.

The Onion wrote:
SÃO PAULO, BRAZIL—During a visit to the teeming slums of São Paulo Monday, Cardinal Anthony Bevilacqua warned the city's starving masses against the evils of contraception, urging them to "be fruitful and multiply" and do "everything in [their] power" to resist the mortal sin of birth control.

Cardinal

Cardinal Bevilacqua

"In Genesis, God commands us to be fruitful and multiply, to fill the Earth and subdue it, and have dominion over the fish and birds and every other living thing," said Bevilacqua, speaking before more than 200,000 malnourished São Paulo slum dwellers. "It is not for man to decide whether the world should have more babies than it can reasonably support. God will decide whose seed shall find purchase and when."

The gathering, which took place on a muddy hillside crowded with tin-and-tarpaper shacks, was one of many to take place around the world Monday—a day Pope John Paul II declared World Childbirth Day.

"No wonder we are plagued by disease and high infant mortality," said São Paulo father of eight Oranjinho Cruz, speaking from his dilapidated one-room home, which lacks electricity or potable water. "God has been punishing us for trying to prevent the miraculous gift of conception."

shelley
ModeratorRRS local affiliate
shelley's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hamby, I went to fix the

Hamby, I went to fix the quote function for you and noticed you posted it correctly despite the display. wonder what's going on... i've seen this 2 or 3 times in the past week.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
There've been a few times in

There've been a few times in the last couple of weeks that after posting I realized the formatting had screwed up somehow. Usually with text size, but a couple of times I have found it quite impossible to resolve quote function errors, and had to resort to copying text from wordpad 3 or 4 times before it worked.

Not sure if it'll help or not, but offered all the same.

As for the topic, I remember reading that one. I begin to wonder if there's any theists around who actually argue for that gravity is just a theory article they have there.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 It looks fine to me.

It looks fine to me.  What's wrong with it?

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

aiia
Superfan
aiia's picture
User is offlineOffline
To fix it you need to open

To fix it you need to open the source

and then it gets time consuming

Whats happening is that the tags are over lapping

But back  to the OP yes Onion has done Poe many times

People who think there is something they refer to as god don't ask enough questions.