Can We Trust Him?

Thomathy
Superfan
Thomathy's picture
User is offlineOffline
Can We Trust Him?

The Harper Government has appointed Doug Cryer and Evangelical, to a position on the Immigration and Refugee Board.  He'll be hearing cases to determine whether a given individual should be allowed entry into Canada as a refugee.  The board hears on the grounds for reguee status claimed by hmosexuals who fear mistreatment or worse in their home countries.

Following in a not too surprising string of appointments, we're seeing Harper's Conservatives appoint high profile religious people to positions wherein their beliefs automatically make their appointments conflicts of interest.

From The Toronto Sun linky.

BigUniverse wrote,

"Well the things that happen less often are more likely to be the result of the supper natural. A thing like loosing my keys in the morning is not likely supper natural, but finding a thousand dollars or meeting a celebrity might be."

The Doomed Soul
atheist
The Doomed Soul's picture
User is offlineOffline
Thomathy wrote:Can we trust

Thomathy wrote:

Can we trust him? -- The Harper Government

I think you answered you own question

What Would Kharn Do?

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
User is offlineOffline
Well, as a

Well, as a non-Canadian, I may not be the best person to weigh in on the specifics. Generally though, there is a maxim in American politics: “We can fix that in four years”.

Correct me if I am wrong on this one but my understanding is that unlike our mandatory election cycle, yours is really one of voting when it is traditional to do so but there is not compelling reason that elections have to happen at any specific time. Indeed, from what I gather, you guys sometimes vote earlier because the government gets it's act fucked up faster. Is that about right?

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=

The Doomed Soul
atheist
The Doomed Soul's picture
User is offlineOffline
Answers in Gene Simmons

Answers in Gene Simmons wrote:

Correct me if I am wrong on this one but my understanding is that unlike our mandatory election cycle, yours is really one of voting when it is traditional to do so but there is not compelling reason that elections have to happen at any specific time. Indeed, from what I gather, you guys sometimes vote earlier because the government gets it's act fucked up faster. Is that about right?

Yes for the most part, if a large enough section of parliment feels that the ruling government doesnt have the support of the people, they can force a vote, among other things... so basically, (i'll use amurikan terms here) If the democrats felt like a large swath of the countries population did not approve of the governments recent action, they hold a "Non-confidence vote" in preperation to oust the Republicans and Bush from power (something that does not work well in a 2 party system... )

edit; of course the ruling government also gets to choose its time table when non-forced votes are made... so usually it'll hold as many votes as often as it can... when its in favor ^_^

What Would Kharn Do?

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Perhaps ironically, Harper

Perhaps ironically, Harper himself tried to change that to reflect the American system of every 4 years. And then he hypocritically called an election right after it. I don't know what the hell is wrong with the idiots who voted for him, but they'd better smarten up fast. Harper is a slimey fuck. And unlike Bush, he actually has some brains.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.