Sam Harris

Ken G.
User is offlineOffline
Sam Harris

What's up with Sam Harris,check out his new blog on EDGE:The Reality Club  www.edge.org/3rd_culture/coyne09/coyne09_index.html#harriss

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
It's satire. Sam Harris

It's satire.

Sam Harris wrote:
Derman reminds us, with extraordinary patience, that scientists have no authority outside the narrow focus of the scientific worldview. Can a biologist harbor any educated doubts about the Virgin birth of Jesus? No—because human parthenogenesis has nothing whatsoever to do with biology.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

Ken G.
User is offlineOffline
Satire

Do you really think that it's satire,or is Harris having second thoughts about Atheism.

Signature ? How ?

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ken G. wrote:  Do you

Ken G. wrote:

Do you really think that it's satire,or is Harris having second thoughts about Atheism. 

What? You can't be serious. Of course it's satire. Did you read it? 

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

Ken G.
User is offlineOffline
Harris

Yeah and he dishes Dawkins for being to rational . Maybe he's having a crisis ?

deludedgod
Rational VIP!ScientistDeluded God
deludedgod's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Do you really think

Quote:

You're joking, right? Have you read the entire thing? Didn't the part where he stated "human parthenogenesis has nothing to do with biology" clue you in?

"Physical reality” isn’t some arbitrary demarcation. It is defined in terms of what we can systematically investigate, directly or not, by means of our senses. It is preposterous to assert that the process of systematic scientific reasoning arbitrarily excludes “non-physical explanations” because the very notion of “non-physical explanation” is contradictory.

-Me

Books about atheism

Ken G.
User is offlineOffline
Reread

But why put it up on Edge:The Reality Club

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ken G. wrote:But why put it

Ken G. wrote:

Why not?

BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
I like this bit, which

I like this bit, which strikes me as making it pretty clear it is a parody:

Quote:

As to why science has been the greatest agent for the mitigation of religious belief the world has ever seen, and has been viewed as a threat by religious people in almost every context, this is a final mystery that defies human analysis. I have often thought that if God had wanted us to understand the difference between having good reasons for what one believes, and having bad ones, He would have made this difference intelligible to everyone.

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
BobSpence1 wrote:I like this

BobSpence1 wrote:

I like this bit, which strikes me as making it pretty clear it is a parody:

Quote:

As to why science has been the greatest agent for the mitigation of religious belief the world has ever seen, and has been viewed as a threat by religious people in almost every context, this is a final mystery that defies human analysis. I have often thought that if God had wanted us to understand the difference between having good reasons for what one believes, and having bad ones, He would have made this difference intelligible to everyone.

That is similure to Jefferson's quote, "Question with boldness even the existance of God, for if there be one, surely he would pay more homage to reason than to that of blindfolded fear".

You can certainly think you have good reasons for holding a position, but the only way to know that, is to put them to the test of scientific scrutiny. Fans of deities don't want the curtain pulled back to reveal man as the creator of gods, because that would mean they would have to face reality. Placebo thinking is intoxicating but deadly to intelect, and being as such, is the source of bloody lemmings littering human history with violence and death.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline

Ken G. wrote:

Maybe you're not used to reading satire, because that's about as blatant as it gets. It wouldn't matter if it was on "Truth: The Truthiest Club".

I thought the piece was hilarious.

Saint Will: no gyration without funkstification.
fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

aiia
Superfan
aiia's picture
User is offlineOffline
I might have satireaphasia,

I might have satireaphasia, because I couldn't see it at first or maybe I was blinded by the initial shock

People who think there is something they refer to as god don't ask enough questions.

Zymotic
Superfan
Zymotic's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hasn't this been posted

Hasn't this been posted before? I still don't get how this article is too subtle for some people. The parthenogenesis line made me laugh out loud.

My Brand New Blog - Jesu Ad Nauseum.
God of the Gaps: As knowledge approaches infinity, God approaches zero. It's introductory calculus.

Bulldog
Superfan
Bulldog's picture
User is offlineOffline

Ken G. wrote:

What? Freethinkers, atheists and other rational people can't have a sense of humor? Harris has a dry wit which is sometimes difficult to grasp by some people.  Satire can be subtle or it can be easily picked up on by all but a complete idiot.  In your favor, Harris' writing was on the subtle side.  There were, however, some very obvious clues througout the writing.  I loved it.

Since Edge is made up of people who are capable of critical thought it's their choice how to present their writings.  I can't think of a single reason why satire could not be posted on that web-site.

"Erecting the 'wall of separation between church and state,' therefore, is absolutely essential in a free society." Thomas Jefferson
www.myspace.com/kenhill5150

spike.barnett
Superfan
spike.barnett's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ken G. wrote: What's up

Ken G. wrote:

What's up with Sam Harris,check out his new blog on EDGE:The Reality Club  www.edge.org/3rd_culture/coyne09/coyne09_index.html#harriss

For the love of Jake! Not Sam!

I wonder what my life would be like if I actually didn't understand things...

After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him.

The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.
MySpace