Who needs anime?

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Who needs anime?

I don't get anime.  I admit it.  I watch it, and I try to get it, and I don't get it.  This, however, is really entertaining, and is more visually entertaining (to me) as well.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
(No subject)

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Dragonball and Dragonball Z

Dragonball and Dragonball Z were awesome shows. Ninja Scroll was a sweet movie. Beyond that, I have almost no experience with Anime. Probably a couple things I can't remember about.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

Archeopteryx
Superfan
Archeopteryx's picture
User is offlineOffline
 I'm not much of an anime

I'm not much of an anime watcher myself, but I have many friends who are absolute nerds over it, and so I have been dragged along to anime conventions and fan clubs on several occasions. But the one thing I learned from them is that anime doesn't necessarily mean bizarre shit like Dragonball Z, Sailor Moon, Akira, etc etc with the flying, glowing people who have power levels over 9000 and so on.

Anything animated that comes out of Japan is technically anime, which also includes animated features that don't have the stereotypical anime elements. For example, I was shown at least two films that surprised me. One was a children's movie called Spirited Away, and it was more like the Japanese equivalent of a classic Disney animated film. It was actually picked up, translated, and distributed in America by Disney/Pixar. I mean, it was still really different because all of the names, environments, mythologies, etc are Japanese. But there just isn't any of that crazy shit. No huge eyes. No giant robots. No high school students who are secretly saving the world. No mid-air battles that unfold in a "I'm stronger", "Well then I'm twice as strong", "Well then I'm three times as strong as that", "Well now I'm seven times stronger than I was before", etc sort of fashion. It's just a kid's story. Goes down easy.

The MOST surprising one was an animated film for adults called Grave of the Fireflies, which is a WWII story about a brother and sister, orphaned by an air raid, trying to live in a country where they (and thousands of other children like them) have been completely disowned and abandoned. It's a true story based on a novel written by the brother. It is one of the most depressing war films since Schindler's List. It just happens to be animated.

I guess what I'm saying is that there is better material to be found in the anime aisle than tentacle rape and spikey blue hair. The latter varieties are just vastly more prolific.

I should probably shut up before I start sounding like one of those creepy otaku kids. *shiver*

A place common to all will be maintained by none. A religion common to all is perhaps not much different.

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
Archeopteryx wrote:No

Archeopteryx wrote:

No mid-air battles that unfold in a "I'm stronger", "Well then I'm twice as strong", "Well then I'm three times as strong as that", "Well now I'm seven times stronger than I was before", etc sort of fashion.

Lmao, that was a very good description.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Quote:Inigo Montoya: You

Quote:
Inigo Montoya: You are wonderful. 
Man in Black: Thank you; I've worked hard to become so. 
Inigo Montoya: I admit it, you are better than I am. 
Man in Black: Then why are you smiling? 
Inigo Montoya: Because I know something you don't know. 
Man in Black: And what is that? 
Inigo Montoya: I... am not left-handed. 
[Moves his sword to his right hand and gains an advantage
Man in Black: You are amazing. 
Inigo Montoya: I ought to be, after 20 years. 
Man in Black: Oh, there's something I ought to tell you. 
Inigo Montoya: Tell me. 
Man in Black
: I'm not left-handed either. 

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:with the flying,

Quote:
with the flying, glowing people who have power levels over 9000 and so on.

OVER NINE THOUSAND?????

Sticking out tongue

I try to recommend Full Metal Alchemist to people. It's a fun show.

Generally, though, I can't imagine you'll like much of any anime if you just aren't into animated shows.

Oh: And what ARE those tentacled animals!? Those things are kickass!

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

- Leon Trotsky, Last Will & Testament
February 27, 1940

Awelton85
Superfan
Awelton85's picture
User is offlineOffline
Anime= less time for aqua

Anime= less time for aqua teen & robot chicken on adult swim, therefore I must dislike it. I have tried to watch some, can't get over the big eyes and underage thongs. Boondocks is the closest thing to anime I can stand, just because of Samuel L Jackson.

"So far as I can remember, there is not one word in the Gospels in praise of intelligence." - Bertrand Russell

Stewie: Yay and God said to Abraham, "you will kill your son, Issak", and Abraham said, I can't hear you, you'll have to speak into the microphone." "Oh I'm sorry, Is this better? Check, check, check... Jerry, pull the high end out, I'm still getting some hiss back here."

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
User is offlineOffline
(No subject)

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=

Todd
User is offlineOffline
I have watched every episode

I have watched every episode of Dragonball, Dragonball Z, Dragonball GT, (over 600 episodes) but I have a hard time explaining why I like it.

I agree Spirited Away is very good, you should also try Studio Ghibli's other films, like My Neighbor Totoro which is possibly better

Teslacrashed
User is offlineOffline
Anime has it's place in the

Anime has it's place in the entertainment world, I feel.

I've never been a fan of the horror genre. I pretty much despise it. I don't get why it's so loved, it's just alien to me. You know what's going to happen, unnecessary amounts of blood. Just not my cup of tea.

Meanwhile, I love me some action anime. Especially military kind, like Full Metal Panic. Or Great Teacher Onizuka (GTO). That show has a lot of great moral messages about standing up for yourself and being a better person hidden in it.

I also like how a lot of anime actually tries to tack on various social issues, like relationships (and not just romantic, but friendships, family).

Different strokes for different folks I guess.

The Doomed Soul
atheist
The Doomed Soul's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote: I don't

Hambydammit wrote:

I don't get anime.  I admit it.  I watch it, and I try to get it, and I don't get it.  

I think the problem your running into is, you dont know what there is, whats out there, or what you want

Gimme a few clues and i'll try to point you in a suitable direction

Action?

Drama?

Horror?

something Intellectual?

Whats your prefference, Fantasy, Sci-fi, Modern?

What Would Kharn Do?

Anonymouse
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Try "Cowboy Bebop".   

Try "Cowboy Bebop".

Archeopteryx
Superfan
Archeopteryx's picture
User is offlineOffline
Teslacrashed

Teslacrashed wrote:

Meanwhile, I love me some action anime. Especially military kind, like Full Metal Panic. Or Great Teacher Onizuka (GTO). That show has a lot of great moral messages about standing up for yourself and being a better person hidden in it.

I kinda have a crush on FMP. o_O

Out of all the anime I've been force fed, it's the only standard variety of anime that has stuck. (Bleach came close. It started off interesting, but soon ruined itself.)

FMP has the laughable stereotypes, so I wouldn't dream of pitching it to the average person. It has all that stuff: The giant robots. The blue hair. The big eyes. The high school students saving the world. Characters with a secret powers they don't realize they have until the exact moment it's needed. Etc. I could care less about that stuff. It's not the interesting part. The redeeming element here is the character of Sosuke Sagara. He's like the comedy version of Leon from The Professional. Also, less depressing.

That's probably why I thought Fumoffu was even better.

*shame*

I sound like one of them....

anonymouse wrote:

Try "Cowboy Bebop".

Meh.

Hamby wrote:

Man in Black

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A place common to all will be maintained by none. A religion common to all is perhaps not much different.

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
User is offlineOffline
The Doomed Soul

The Doomed Soul wrote:
Gimme a few clues and i'll try to point you in a suitable direction

Action?

Drama?

Horror?

something Intellectual?

Whats your prefference, Fantasy, Sci-fi, Modern?

OK, I have never really found stuff that I like. But I recently found “death note” ant that is really good. What I like is a good story line with well thought out characters. If I must pick then I am thinking:

Drama/Horror/sci-fi.

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=

The Doomed Soul
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Answers in Gene Simmons

Answers in Gene Simmons wrote:

OK, I have never really found stuff that I like. But I recently found “death note” ant that is really good. What I like is a good story line with well thought out characters. If I must pick then I am thinking:

Drama/Horror/sci-fi.

Disclaimer; Every link i put out is entirely legal, and is in no way "Childish" material

Well, pure "Drama" obviously isnt my thing so i cant really recommend anything. ill do some searching though

Horror is a hard one to come by for free

(after some poking i managed to drag up a cgi Resident Evil... but thats probably not the horror type your looking for.

Part 1 http://www.zshare.net/video/52209197b7a7917c/

Part 2 http://www.zshare.net/video/52209340a5696427/

Sci-fi is by far and above... easy and broad >.>

Care to narrow it down a bit?

but if nothing else, this should by good enough for now

Movie 1 http://www.veoh.com/browse/videos/category/animation/watch/v641349pFcQtdZN#

Movie 2 http://www.veoh.com/collection/gits2ndgig/watch/v469416yyn9nmsj#

( VEOH, requires you to have an account to watch anything thats over 1 hour, accounts free, and if you want, download their Vid player as well... it allows you to download and video on their website and use it as you will... but its not needed.  )

What Would Kharn Do?

The Doomed Soul
atheist
User is offlineOffline
List of some of the Better

List of some of the Better Anime, that comes to mind.

(None of that kiddie garbage, like Naruto/Bleach/Tri-gun )

Black Lagoon (16+)

Modern/Action/Shooter

Summary; Japanese coporate employee, ubducted by armed pirates durring a business trip, eventually to join them, lots of bullets and explosions. Simplistic series, good shoot'em up entertainment.

http://www.youtube.com/user/dumas666

(Youtube account has only the series on it)

Ghost in the Shell (16+, Mature concepts)

Sci-Fi/Action/Intellectual

Summary; Far future, where humanity now has the capability to replace any peice of organic material with an equivalent mechanised version (ie. Cybornetics). Series follows Section 9, Japans Anti-Cybor Terrorism unit. Series is as follows,

Ghost in the Shell (Movie)

-Orients you with the GitS universe, and its ideals, sets up second movie and the series

http://www.veoh.com/browse/videos/category/animation/watch/v641349pfcqtdzn#

Ghost in the Shell; Innocence (Movie)

http://www.veoh.com/collection/gits2ndgig/watch/v469416yyn9nmsj#

-With the departure of the former main character, rest of Section9 deals with a related incident to movie 1

Ghost in the Shell; S.A.C The Laughing Man (series)

-Long TV series, Main story line follows "Laughing Man Incident" while the "Fillers" are more for universe orientation.

(Still looking for links)

Ghost in the Shell; S.A.C 2 (series)

-Similar to season 1 in setup, main story involves a "revolution"

(Still looking for links)

Ghost in the Shell; Solid State Society (Movie)

-Final part in the whole series, does not "end" the series diffinatively. Story line summed up by the Old/the Dead/the die'ing, stealing the bodies of children.

(Still looking for link)

Berserk (HIGHLY Mature)

Fantasy/Action/Horror

Summary; What can i say about Beserk... For a while, it follows the life of a young boy, whos conscripted into a band of mercenaries, medevial setting, lots of swords and LOTS of bloodspray. Anime series base off the Manga (comic book), the series takes a rather abrupt turn (intentional) from medieval fantasy armed conflict, to something i can only describe as "Horror". Series is mature... includes rape (only 2 tentacle rapes in the entire series, i swear >.< , pillaging, torture, betrayals, blood, guts... Anime series ends (unoffically) at about... volume 9 of the manga (total of 31 volumes... well over 500 chapters). Ending will leave you wanting to read the manga and find out what the fuck happens next.

Manga is as follows;

http://www.thespectrum.net/manga_scans/berserk/

(Still hunting for the videos)

Death Note (Mature concepts)

Modern/Intellectual/Psychological

Summary; Student finds a "Death Note", a book which has the power to kill any one, whos name gets written down. Main character uncovers the "Death God" who dropped the book, with some slight prodding, Yagami begins to purge the world of criminals... eventually attempting to take control of the world, and become a New World God. The best minds in the world come together in an attempt to stop him. Lots... and Lots of people die.

(Im sure Youtube has it some where, its by enlarge the easiest series to find)

Heavy Metal F.A.K.K (2?) (Mature)

Action/Sci-fi

Summary; Late 80's or early 90's movie, Fleeing colony ship crashlands on alien planet, story revolves around "gaining eternal life", lots of titilation, lots of gore... C+ story line... but hard music, hot chicks with guns and sword... >.> cant really complain.

(Hard to become by... looking... )

Gun Grave (16+)

Modern/Action

Summary; First half of the story revolves around the main characters induction into an organised crime syndicate, and his rise through the ranks to become a "Cleaner" (ie. Hitman). Story turns when an Underboss of the Mob begins to exploit some blackmailed companies, one which happens to be a genetic modification company. After an accident which turns a few mob members into monstrosities, the Underboss takes control of the whole show, leaving the main character with nothing but revenge.

(Last i recall... Youtube >.>   )

What Would Kharn Do?

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
I have to recommend

I have to recommend www.imeem.com. It generally has exceptional quality and often has the entire series of an anime posted.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ninja Scroll was sweet.

Ninja Scroll was sweet. Violence, nudity, action, suspence, and it's 18+. Pretty sweet ending too.

Thomathy
Superfan
Thomathy's picture
User is offlineOffline
A quick list of the Anime I

A quick list of the Anime I like best:

Twelve Kingdoms

Naruto and Naruto Shippuden

Bleach

Kyo Kara Maoh

Full Metal Alchemist

Samurai Deeper Kyo

Basilisk (the Anime adaptation of the manga based on the novel The Kouga Ninja Scrolls, not to be confused with the film version of the same novel titled Shinobi: Heart Under Blade.)

Junjo Romantica; Pure Romance

Witch Hunter Robin

... I'm certain I'm forgetting some of my favourites.  I'm following quite a few shows presently and it's easy to forget which ones when it takes a few weeks between episodes and translations.  One thing I love about the internet is that I don't have to wait for a North American edition (which can sometimes never come).

BigUniverse wrote,

"Well the things that happen less often are more likely to be the result of the supper natural. A thing like loosing my keys in the morning is not likely supper natural, but finding a thousand dollars or meeting a celebrity might be."

The Doomed Soul
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Thomathy wrote:A quick list

Thomathy wrote:

A quick list of the Anime I like best:

blah

Junjo Romantica; Pure Romance

blah

Just admit it...

Junjo Romantica; Mass Tentical Rape

(how can you watch, such... garbage?

What Would Kharn Do?

Balkoth
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit

Hambydammit wrote:

Quote:
Man in Black

Except that book and movie are both good Sticking out tongue

Archeopteryx
Superfan
Archeopteryx's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Well since we've entered

Well since we've entered this downward spiral, I'll recommend an anime that makes fun of people who are obsessed with anime. It takes a while to get rolling, and it's probably only funny if you're familiar with these people and their weird.... disturbing... anime... lust.... thing....

Genshiken. Full streaming episodes: http://www.anime-sub.com/2008/01/genshiken.html

WARNING: The intro to episode 1 is very misleading. Just wait.

Shaitian
User is offlineOffline
Here's a list of some of my

Here's a list of some of my favorites:
Bleach
Chobits
Devil May Cry
Final Fantasy Unlimited
Digimon
Deathnote
Noein
Big O
Dennou Coil
.hack/signs  etc.
Cowboy Bebop
Gundam 00

When i want to watch some new anime i go to: http://www.kumby.com/anime-list/

My only problem with that site is that they use mega-upload for some of their series and mega-upload has a limit on the amount you can watch... Watched .hack series recently on there and found they kept switching between 4 different video players and that wasnt too bad.

Also Gungrave complete series can be found here: http://www.kumby.com/category/gungrave-episodes

Thomathy
Superfan
Thomathy's picture
User is offlineOffline
The Doomed Soul wrote:Just

The Doomed Soul wrote:

Just admit it...

Junjo Romantica; Mass Tentical Rape

(how can you watch, such... garbage?

It's not garbage and there is no mass tentacle rape, or any other kind of tentacle rape.  I like the cute boys and silly relationship problems and emotional constipation.  It is nearly perfect in its interpretation of the boy's love formula and includes all the necessary symbolism and metaphor .  It's only too bad that it appears the last season was the very last!

Genshiken - I knew there was more!

BigUniverse wrote,

"Well the things that happen less often are more likely to be the result of the supper natural. A thing like loosing my keys in the morning is not likely supper natural, but finding a thousand dollars or meeting a celebrity might be."

The Doomed Soul
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Thomathy wrote:It's not

Thomathy wrote:

It's not garbage and there is no mass tentacle rape, or any other kind of tentacle rape.  I like the cute boys and silly relationship problems and emotional constipation.  It is nearly perfect in its interpretation of the boy's love formula and includes all the necessary symbolism and metaphor .  It's only too bad that it appears the last season was the very last!

See? complete garbage, thank you for proving me right

What Would Kharn Do?

Thomathy
Superfan
Thomathy's picture
User is offlineOffline
(No subject)

Sticking out tongue

Demiscus
User is offlineOffline
Hey, new to the site. I was

Hey, new to the site. I was just doing some forum lurking, but my geekiness compels me to chime in.

Hambydammit wrote:

I don't get anime.  I admit it.  I watch it, and I try to get it, and I don't get it.

To each his own. I know entertainment value is subjective, but if you ever decide to watch anime again, there are some that deserve recommendations. Not just as an anime geek, but as a TV, movie, and all around animation geek. They're quite good for their respective genres, have good production values, and are (mostly) free of anime cliches.

Hellsing Ultimate OVA's - Action. Lots of blood, gore, ghouls, Nazi vampires, ass kicking priests, and a psychotic anti-hero complete with maniacal laughter.

Black Lagoon - Action. Like a Hollywood action film in animated form, but with good writing.

Monster - Mystery, suspense. Sort of similar to The Fugitive, and has a lot of good plot twists.

Mononoke- Mystery, supernatural. Deals with a traveling excorsist slaying spirits. Good stories, but a big part of this one is the super unique art style.

These are just a few that I would recommend. They're also easy to get into, with the exception of maybe the last one. Monster and Black Lagoon could very easily be western live action shows.

As for that animal in the video, it looks like it was cooked up by HP Lovecraft. Creepy.

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote: I don't

Hambydammit wrote:

Yeah, I gotta say I'm not a fan of watching Japanese people illustrate their deepest, saddest insecurities. Or lame-ass rape fantasies.

Maybe it's the voice-over actors who feel compelled to grunt and squeal, or the constant use of action lines and primary colours to hyper-sensate the most limp-dicked plots ever to be conceived. Maybe because I'd rather see a subtler character range than two polar opposites: total wus and domineering asshole. Maybe it's because I find Asia's version of Western posturing culture even more annoying than the original.

No, I'm pretty sure it's the lack of humanity in the characters, who seem to be experiencing all the emotional range of a romantic comedy.

And tentacle rape. Seriously. Once? Funny idea. Twice? Old. More than that, and someone has a bit of a problem.

Saint Will: no gyration without funkstification.
fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
(No subject)

The Doomed Soul
atheist
User is offlineOffline
pff... no contest...

pff... no contest... goku's gonna gank supaman!

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
The Doomed Soul wrote:pff...

The Doomed Soul wrote:

I have no idea who goku is, but he's about to get his vagina handed to him. He seems proud of the glowing thing he's holding. I figure that's one more thing for Superman to break.

Then, he'll fly so fast he'll reverse time and kick his ass again.

fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
(No subject)

spike.barnett
Superfan
spike.barnett's picture
User is offlineOffline
HisWillness wrote:The Doomed

HisWillness wrote:

The Doomed Soul wrote:

I have no idea who goku is, but he's about to get his vagina handed to him. He seems proud of the glowing thing he's holding. I figure that's one more thing for Superman to break.

In this battle of imaginary beings Goku would win without question. And If he somehow couldn't win, he and Vegeta would just fuse into an even more ridiculously over powered character...

After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him.

The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.
MySpace

The Doomed Soul
atheist
User is offlineOffline
spike.barnett

spike.barnett wrote:

HisWillness wrote:

The Doomed Soul wrote:

In this battle of imaginary beings Goku would win without question. And If he somehow couldn't win, he and Vegeta would just fuse into an even more ridiculously over powered character...

Indeed...

In the imaginary world of fucked up shit thats unbeleivably over-powered it goes like this

Looney Toons > DragonBall Z (Goku goes here) > Warhammer 40k > Everything else... (Supaman is somewhere in here)

What Would Kharn Do?

spike.barnett
Superfan
spike.barnett's picture
User is offlineOffline
The Doomed Soul

The Doomed Soul wrote:

Indeed...

In the imaginary world of fucked up shit thats unbeleivably over-powered it goes like this

Looney Toons > DragonBall Z (Goku goes here) > Warhammer 40k > Everything else... (Supaman is somewhere in here)

I was trying to figure out why Looney Toons were top of the food chain for a while... and then it hit me. You just can't kill the fuckers... ever...

After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him.

MySpace

The Doomed Soul
atheist
User is offlineOffline
spike.barnett wrote:I was

spike.barnett wrote:

I was trying to figure out why Looney Toons were top of the food chain for a while... and then it hit me. You just can't kill the fuckers... ever...

Exactly... well... that and the whole Space/Time manipulation and breaking almost all laws of physics at a whim

What Would Kharn Do?

spike.barnett
Superfan
spike.barnett's picture
User is offlineOffline
The Doomed Soul

The Doomed Soul wrote:

spike.barnett wrote:

Exactly... well... that and the whole Space/Time manipulation and breaking almost all laws of physics at a whim

True, but I've never seen them alter anything in such a way that would actually harm a DBZ/GT character. For example:

Bugs Bunny paints a tunnel on the face of a mountain and then walks through to the other side. Goku, unknowingly, sees the tunnel while flying by and decides for what ever reason to fly through. He smacks his head on the mountain side but proceeds flying through, leaving a pile of ruble behind. Goku emerges from the other side of the mountain without a scratch.

Does that accurately depict a mixture of the two?

MySpace

The Doomed Soul
atheist
User is offlineOffline
spike.barnett wrote:Does

spike.barnett wrote:

Does that accurately depict a mixture of the two?

For all intents and purposes yes, but if it were an actual fight to the death where the 2 sides WANTED to kill each other, one could assume that Bugg'es Portal would still be open for Goku, but it would lead straight to the sun, where Bugg's would be sipping a lemonade on a lawnchair, on the surface of the sun, while Goku burst to cinders. Looney Toons limit is their imagination.

(Wow, what a fucked up hypothetical discussion i appear to have created o_O  )

What Would Kharn Do?

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
spike.barnett

spike.barnett wrote:

HisWillness wrote:

The Doomed Soul wrote:

Lol.

I'd interject here that Goku would not beat the stuffing out of Superman. He might have a strength advantage, but he is neither invulnerable nor as fast as light (unless he's teleporting, but one can't fight while they're a beam of light travelling through the cosmos, Superman can).

Unless of course Goku knew about Kryptonite. Then poor Mr. S. would get totally pwned.

I agree that the toons' tend to have the upper hand in flagrantly ignoring logic and physics. How does one destroy something that swallowed a nuke and burped?

After them would come Star Trek(Q), followed by Star Wars(The Force), followed by everything else mentioned.

Q is god, literally, in the species. Only an anti-god like toon's can beat god. Laughing out loud

Vader could crush Goku's neck from half a galaxy away. The Force > DBZ. Eye-wink

ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
User is offlineOffline
You know all those shots

You know all those shots that Goku fired that missed their target and went flying off into space?

...That's what happened to Krypton.

Theism is why we can't have nice things.

peppermint
Superfan
peppermint's picture
User is offlineOffline
I find a lot of it

I find a lot of it incredibly creepy, and some of it repulses me. I guess it's the visual style with all the sharp lines...I don't know.

Japan's produced some wacky shit, like animated movies where someone rips the skin off of people to make puppets. And don't forget tentacle sex! The fact that someone sat down and DREW THIS LINE BY LINE while stoicly creating a storyboard is just...odd in itself. Could have something to do with the repression in  the culture. You hold it in long enough, it'll find it's way out...

*Our world is far more complex than the rigid structure we want to assign to it, and we will probably never fully understand it.*

"Those believers who are sophisticated enough to understand the paradox have found exciting ways to bend logic into pretzel shapes in order to defend the indefensible." - Hamby

The Doomed Soul
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:I'd interject

Vastet wrote:

I'd interject here that Goku would not beat the stuffing out of Superman. He might have a strength advantage, but he is neither invulnerable nor as fast as light (unless he's teleporting, but one can't fight while they're a beam of light travelling through the cosmos, Superman can).

Can Superman destroy a planet on a whim? how about 1/4 of a universe? Goku has, and routinely beats others who do... into bloody mucus

(i hate goku anyways, >.> more of a Vegeta fan myself, he's probably the only one in the whole DBZ universe that has a realistic personality)

And doesnt Superman need Oxygen... to, uh... breath? cause apperantly a Saiyan doesnt o_O?

Vastet wrote:

I agree that the toons' tend to have the upper hand in flagrantly ignoring logic and physics. How does one destroy something that swallowed a nuke and burped?

I know, right? Over-powered or what >.< aha

Vastet wrote:

After them would come Star Trek(Q), followed by Star Wars(The Force), followed by everything else mentioned

Q is god, literally, in the species. Only an anti-god like toon's can beat god. Laughing out loud

Vader could crush Goku's neck from half a galaxy away. The Force > DBZ. Eye-wink

Oh ya... Q... the god who was a god, who wasnt a god, who was a god, who had his powers taken away, then given back, then taken away... and defeated by mere mortal Picard... how many times? Q is nothing compaired to some fiction gods.

Vader needs Line of Sight ;-p Goku just yells really loudly and tosses planet destroying energy blobs across the galaxy, good luck mr.Vader

... i feel like such a twelve year old right now >.>

What Would Kharn Do?

spike.barnett
Superfan
spike.barnett's picture
User is offlineOffline
The Doomed Soul wrote:Vader

The Doomed Soul wrote:

Vader needs Line of Sight ;-p Goku just yells really loudly and tosses planet destroying energy blobs across the galaxy, good luck mr.Vader

Plus there's still the Vegeto option. He doesn't even have to yell when he's destroying planets... I really don't think a force choke could take Goku out anyway. He would, in response, casually launch a kamehameha so wide it couldn't be avoided (even by somebody who sees it coming a couple seconds in advance).

The Doomed Soul wrote:

Inorite?

MySpace

Sinphanius
Sinphanius's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Quote:How does one destroy

Quote:
How does one destroy something that swallowed a nuke and burped?

Old Country Western Music?

As for anime....
So I'll make you Compact!

When you say it like that you make it sound so Sinister...

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
The Doomed Soul wrote:Can

The Doomed Soul wrote:
Can Superman destroy a planet on a whim?

Yes.

The Doomed Soul wrote:
how about 1/4 of a universe?

Yes.

The Doomed Soul wrote:
Goku has

Really? What a dick this pansy boy is. This is the kind of guy that Superman would save the earth from. Maybe not by killing him, because apparently his hair is invincible, but probably by some other means involving brains.

The Doomed Soul wrote:
(i hate goku anyways, >.> more of a Vegeta fan myself

Let me guess, someone with even better hair? 

The Doomed Soul wrote:
And doesnt Superman need Oxygen... to, uh... breath?

No. 

The Doomed Soul wrote:

Vader needs line of sight? I thought he just "sensed" things in the force. Man, I'm not up on my nerdy characters as much as I thought I was. 

But stylistically, Superman is way better than these angry lightning-ball-throwing histrionic screamers.

Sigh. Now I'm actually going to have to watch one of these shows to see this glamour-rock showdown.

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Okay, I've watched about

Okay, I've watched about as much of that crap as I can handle. Am I to understand the focus of the show is magical karate? Why, pray tell, does everything involving magical karate need to be announced to one's opponent? Like, "special magic cannon!!!!!!111" and then more yelling, and then another 20 minutes later something happens. Are you telling me you guys have watched an entire show? I got bored waiting to care.

Oh yeah, I'm pretty sure Superman could take these guys. In fact, I'd say Batman. Any anime creature would take so long explaining who he was or telling Batman what he was going to do next, or reacting, that Batman could probably take a smoke break and come back to the fight with anti-alien spray in his belt. *squirt*

"Aaaaaahhhhh! My eeeeeeeyyyyyyys"

[hours later]

"AAAAAAAAaaaaaahhhhhh! I'm still in pain! I can't believe you used anti-alien spray! That was so dirty! You're a cheat!"

"Shut up while I saw your head off with a butter knife. It should take about a half an hour, so I figure I have time."

Sinphanius
Sinphanius's picture
User is offlineOffline
 I'm going to have to

I'm going to have to correct the hierarchy everyone, it should read;

Christopher Lloyd > Looney Toons > DragonBall Z > Warhammer 40k > Everything else

When you say it like that you make it sound so Sinister...

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
 I thought the internet

I thought the internet consensus was:

Chuck Norris > Christopher Lloyd > everything else

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
The Doomed Soul wrote:Vastet

The Doomed Soul wrote:

Vastet wrote:

Can Superman destroy a planet on a whim?

I would imagine so. Though I'm not familiar enough with DC rules to give a straight answer. I'd imagine his heat vision could accomplish it well enough. If he had to do it piece by piece...well he's as fast as light and can carry pretty well anything out of a gravity well, so I'd have to say yeah.

The Doomed Soul wrote:
 how about 1/4 of a universe? Goku has, and routinely beats others who do... into bloody mucus

Have you seen episodes I haven't? Or perhaps you're referring to a comic? Goku was responsible for the destruction of one planet to my recollection, and it wasn't even actually him who pulled the trigger. It was Cell. I don't recall anything else that comes close other than Frieza's destruction of Namek. Noone has actually done more than destroy a planet at a time in anything I've seen.

The Doomed Soul wrote:
(i hate goku anyways, >.> more of a Vegeta fan myself, he's probably the only one in the whole DBZ universe that has a realistic personality)

Agreed. Vegeta owns.

The Doomed Soul wrote:

And doesnt Superman need Oxygen... to, uh... breath? cause apperantly a Saiyan doesnt o_O?

Nope. I refer to all the Superman movies where Superman was flying through space without oxygen, specifically the one where he reversed time simply by spinning the Earth backwards. If only it were that easy.... 

And actually, Saiyans' are supposed to need oxygen (see Frieza saga when Namek's about to go up in smoke), but apparently don't when it causes a plot problem (Vegeta didn't seem to have a problem while he took the final steps in becoming a Super Saiyan on an asteroid).

The Doomed Soul wrote:

Oh ya... Q... the god who was a god, who wasnt a god, who was a god, who had his powers taken away, then given back, then taken away... and defeated by mere mortal Picard... how many times? Q is nothing compaired to some fiction gods.

Q the man may have demonstrated a remarkable capability to be a buffoon, but the rest of his species was the only thing that allowed Picard to beat him in any way. He demonstrated complete control of time and space, from the microscopic to the macroscopic.

The Doomed Soul wrote:

Vader needs line of sight for Telekinetic Kill, yes. But that can be accomplished with a real time image. Jedi Master Jorus C'Baoth demonstrated a capacity for this form of Telekinetic Kill by using it on then Commander Thrawn of the Chiss Empire.

Of course, not all attacks with the Force must be line of sight. Most of the mental aspects can be utilized anywhere as long as one has sufficient power and skill.

Worse for Goku, Vader had the ability of Absorb/Dissipate, which would have allowed him to eat each and every one of Goku's energy attacks and send them back to the source in the form of Force Lightning. Eye-wink

The Doomed Soul
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:I would

Vastet wrote:

I would imagine so. Though I'm not familiar enough with DC rules to give a straight answer. I'd imagine his heat vision could accomplish it well enough. If he had to do it piece by piece...well he's as fast as light and can carry pretty well anything out of a gravity well, so I'd have to say yeah.

Cant say im overly familar with DC universe either, but i know for a fact that laser beam eyes would NOT destroy a planet, I mean, how long would it take for this pewpew eye laser to reach the planet core? or it he going to attempt to cut the planet into bits? Good luck either way

Vastet wrote:

Have you seen episodes I haven't? Or perhaps you're referring to a comic? Goku was responsible for the destruction of one planet to my recollection, and it wasn't even actually him who pulled the trigger. It was Cell. I don't recall anything else that comes close other than Frieza's destruction of Namek. Noone has actually done more than destroy a planet at a time in anything I've seen.

Broly apperantly did it, in his first movie, he apperantly destroyed all of "South Universe" (so i just went with the assumption that it was 1/4 of the universe)

Vastet wrote:

Q the man may have demonstrated a remarkable capability to be a buffoon, but the rest of his species was the only thing that allowed Picard to beat him in any way. He demonstrated complete control of time and space, from the microscopic to the macroscopic.

Exactly, no Gods, but a species of immense power ;-p

Vastet wrote:

Vader needs line of sight for Telekinetic Kill, yes. But that can be accomplished with a real time image.

I know, i still count that as a Line of Sight (Vader killing an Admiral in one of the movies from a view screen is a good example)

Vastet wrote:

Worse for Goku, Vader had the ability of Absorb/Dissipate, which would have allowed him to eat each and every one of Goku's energy attacks and send them back to the source in the form of Force Lightning. Eye-wink    

I would pay to see that >.>

What Would Kharn Do?