Hope for the future -- Why Lacey Cares About Religion

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hope for the future -- Why Lacey Cares About Religion

If you don't know about Lacey, you should.  For one thing, she's got a huge myspace and youtube following.  For another, she's young, intelligent, and extremely well spoken.  For another, she's an outspoken atheist activist who is encouraging everyone to stand up and stand out against religion and religious oppression.

Watch this video.  I don't think I could have said it any better.

Yeah, I know she's hot, you lecherous old bastards.  Anyway, she's Gogreen18.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
I think we should make hot

I think we should make hot atheist women goddesses.

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote:Yeah, I

Hambydammit wrote:

Yeah, I know she's hot

Eh, well, she's kind of........................weird. I can't find a better word for it.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
User is offlineOffline
butterbattle

butterbattle wrote:

Hambydammit wrote:

Yeah, I know she's hot

Eh, well, she's kind of........................weird. I can't find a better word for it.

I have to agree with butterbattle, there is something about her that.....yeah she's seems kinda hyper maybe? I guess she's hot till she starts talking, I mean I agree with her on the topics, but she kinda came off annoying I guess for me. However again I agree with everything she said.

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
She missed all of the dead

She missed all of the dead from World War II.

Also: It's fucking magic.

Holy shit. Doesn't it ever run through a theist's mind that they may as well be collecting and rubbing lamps in hopes of some day finding a genie?

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

- Leon Trotsky, Last Will & Testament
February 27, 1940

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
(No subject)

Edit: Nevermind.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

shelley
ModeratorRRS local affiliate
shelley's picture
User is offlineOffline
I remember when she had a

I remember when she had a big bump after being mentioned  on PZ's blog... she cute  but the videos aren't anything I'd make a point to watch.

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
The 'I'm Going to Hell'

The 'I'm Going to Hell' series is pretty good so far.

And, yeah.

The cuteness.

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 To Shelley, et al, I know

To Shelley, et al, I know that you wouldn't necessarily go out of your way to watch her, but we're talking about 14-22 year olds here.  That's the demographic that really matters, and well... she's got that little niche wrapped up.  Look at how many myspace friends she has.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

Books about atheism

Fanas
User is offlineOffline
latincanuck

latincanuck wrote:

butterbattle wrote:

Hambydammit wrote:

Yeah, I know she's hot

I have to agree with butterbattle, there is something about her that.....yeah she's seems kinda hyper maybe? I guess she's hot till she starts talking, I mean I agree with her on the topics, but she kinda came off annoying I guess for me. However again I agree with everything she said.

Yeah, she's sometimes annoying, but I still subscribed to her channel. After all she's hot, that's good for our image. People don't need to think that only the ugly ones are thinking. Smiling

pablotar
pablotar's picture
User is offlineOffline
I think Zomgitscriss is

I think  Zomgitscriss is hotter, although a bit annoying too.

http://www.youtube.com/user/ZOMGitsCriss

Eden had a 25% murder rate and incest was rampant.

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
pablotar wrote:I think 

pablotar wrote:

Lol, is this a contest now?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OruQy-X32O0

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Quote:I think 

Quote:

I don't get what's annoying about these girls.  Anyway, I like this one...

Books about atheism

shelley
shelley's picture
User is offlineOffline
the blonde isn't too

the blonde isn't too bad.

lacigreen is a little, uh, high school-ish.  she may be 19 and a junior in college but i would never guess that if it wasn't on her profile.

like you said hamby, she's got that 14-22 market.

i guess i'm getting old.

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Hehe... that's what I'm

Hehe... that's what I'm saying... she is high schoolish.  That's... good, right?  Cause we want kids to see that cool, attractive people can also be smart and atheist.  That's... good, right?

Books about atheism

crazymonkie
Silver Member
crazymonkie's picture
User is offlineOffline
shelleymtjoy wrote:the

shelleymtjoy wrote:

the blonde isn't too bad.

lacigreen is a little, uh, high school-ish.  she may be 19 and a junior in college but i would never guess that if it wasn't on her profile.

like you said hamby, she's got that 14-22 market.

i guess i'm getting old.

I know what you mean. I watched these videos and I thought "Huh, cute kids." That's about it. Not so much as a rise outta me. Of course, I've had the attitude of 'Hey, you damn kids, get off my lawn' since I was 23 (28 now) so it's not like this is some new information to me.

OrdinaryClay wrote:
If you don't believe your non-belief then you don't believe and you must not be an atheist.

shelley
shelley's picture
User is offlineOffline
hamby wrote: Hehe... that's

hamby wrote:

Hehe... that's what I'm saying... she is high schoolish.  That's... good, right?  Cause we want kids to see that cool, attractive people can also be smart and atheist.  That's... good, right?

I have mixed feelings about this.  If her videos are causing them to think then fine... idk how she has to appear to get her message heard.

FYI - She also has a youtube channel that is not about atheism which makes me wonder what is actually attracting her following.  I haven't read all her comments myself but the word on the street is that 99% of them could not be considered intellectual.

I also wonder if Lacey/Laci is involved on activism outside of the videos - for instance on campus.

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 I can't answer either of

I can't answer either of those questions for you Shelley.  I guess it doesn't matter too much to me if she's devoting her life to atheism.  If she's taken the time to share her atheism with her tens of thousands of followers, I'm inclined to say she's doing a good thing.

Supposing that her other videos are not particularly intellectual, so what?  If her fans think for a moment and do a google search for atheist websites, guess what they're likely to find.... us.  I'm a big believer in promoting atheism from all sides.  It takes in-your-face activism, hot atheist girls, stodgy professors, youtube geeks, facebook networks, real life meet-ups, blog networks, bus slogans, and anything else that simply puts atheism out there and makes people want to know more.

Books about atheism

pablotar
pablotar's picture
User is offlineOffline
butterbattle wrote:pablotar

butterbattle wrote:

pablotar wrote:

Lol, is this a contest now?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OruQy-X32O0

You win.

Eden had a 25% murder rate and incest was rampant.

shelley
shelley's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote:Supposing

Hambydammit wrote:

Supposing that her other videos are not particularly intellectual, so what?   

Actually what I was saying was not that her other videos weren't intellectual (I was taking about the comments from viewers) - she does participate in the youtube memes but she also did some on birth control another one on making muffins or something on that other channel.

What I was questioning is where her fan base is coming from.  Now the other channel hasn't been up as long but I did some quick math and when taking in to consideration how long they've been up, the other videos are about 4 times more popular.  So, are her fans looking for freethought or just advice on getting rid of razor burn?  Or maybe I'm just looking at this too early in the morning...

IDK - I'd probably have to spend way more time than I have right now looking at the numbers.  Let's just say that for now I'm skeptical as to the extent of her reach as it relates to atheism.

I'm not saying some people (particularly the younger crowd) don't like her and I'm not saying different approaches aren't needed.  I'm also not saying she doesn't have a fan base, clearly she does and even if someone is there for something else they are likely to stumble on an atheist video.  that's great.

I'm just skeptical about claims on her reach based on a number of myspace fans or whatever.

shelley
shelley's picture
User is offlineOffline
Christina (the blonde girl

Christina (the blonde girl from Romania) has made it on to the homepage of atheistnexus.