Does atheism need better marketing?

RatDog
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Does atheism need better marketing?

While studying for a midterm in my marketing class I came across this.

Quote:

Marketing Ideas

You can see people. You can stand in a city. So how do you market something you cant see, smell, or feel? Idea marketing is about gaining market share for a concept, philosophy, belief, or issue. Even religious organizations market ideas about faith and desirable behavior by adopting secular marketing techniques to attract young people. Some evangelists use the power of television to convey their messages. So- called megachurches are huge steel and glass structures, with acres of parking and slickly produced services complete with live bands and professional dancers to draw huge audiences. Some even offer aerobics, bowling alleys, and multimedia Bible classes inspired by MTV to attract customers turned off by traditional approaches to religion.

Marketing: Real People, Real Choices, Fifth Edition
by Michael R. Solomon

Religion has much better marketing then atheism.  Do you think that atheism needs better marketing, or do you think that atheism should be able to stand on its on merits without it?

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
Where's the money? It's

Where's the money?

It's like how do you market being a teetotaler or a non-smoker? Being non-delusional is free.

Taxation is the price we pay for failing to build a civilized society. The higher the tax level, the greater the failure. A centrally planned totalitarian state represents a complete defeat for the civilized world, while a totally voluntary society represents its ultimate success. --Mark Skousen

Wonderist
atheist
Wonderist's picture
User is offlineOffline
I think science,

I think science, rationality, and critical thinking need better marketing. Atheism is merely a by-product of those.

One thing I will agree is that there needs to be better marketing of atheists, due to the negative stereotyping of atheists by theists of all stripes. A kind of counter-marketing, I suppose. Things like the atheist bus campaign are a good example.

Wonderist on Facebook — Support the idea of wonderism by 'liking' the Wonderism page — or join the open Wonderism group to take part in the discussion!

Gnu Atheism Facebook group — All gnu-friendly RRS members welcome (including Luminon!) — Try something gnu!

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Well, there are a couple

Well, there are a couple of things you could market, but I'm not sure atheism itself is a very marketable commodity, primarily because it really doesn't do anything.  Science, on the other hand, is very marketable, and we've already got lots of people on our side.  Mythbusters is a great show, and it has really gone a long way towards selling the idea that not only is science fun, but useful to everyday people.

Personally, I think the "science of people" is the best thing we have to sell.  We know so much more now than we did even twenty five years ago that we really can say with some authority that not only is a lot of people's religious baggage wrong, it's harmful.  On the other hand, we can sell happiness through science -- This is the way people really are.  If you believe what the scientists tell you, you will be happier than if you don't.  That hits people right where they live.

Basically, I think the problem with atheism in the eyes of the public is that people think they will lose something if they become atheist.  The trick, I think, is to sell them on what they will gain.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

RatDog
atheist
User is offlineOffline
natural wrote:I think

natural wrote:

I think science, rationality, and critical thinking need better marketing. Atheism is merely a by-product of those.

One thing I will agree is that there needs to be better marketing of atheists, due to the negative stereotyping of atheists by theists of all stripes. A kind of counter-marketing, I suppose. Things like the atheist bus campaign are a good example.

I agree we need to market atheists as not being evil.  The more we do this the more we draw attention to atheism as a whole in a positive manner.  The big plus side to this strategy is that if anyone complains they come of as being complete jerks.   Most theists have some atheist friends or family whom they generally like and appreciate so they probably aren't willing to just right all of us of as evil.  Our best strategy is to target the real fundamentalists, and when they attack us unreasonable it will make the more moderate believers more sympathetic to our message. 

RatDog
atheist
User is offlineOffline
 Hambydammit

Hambydammit wrote:

Well, there are a couple of things you could market, but I'm not sure atheism itself is a very marketable commodity, primarily because it really doesn't do anything.  

You can market almost anything with enough effort.  You just need the right approach, and the really understand the demographic you are selling to.  That said it is probably allot easier to sell a positive then a negative.  If we can sell something that people view as better then theism and doesn't conflict with the ideals of rationality that we are trying to preserve it would probable be more effective.  

Hambydammit wrote:

Science, on the other hand, is very marketable, and we've already got lots of people on our side.  Mythbusters is a great show, and it has really gone a long way towards selling the idea that not only is science fun, but useful to everyday people.

Science definably needs better marketing.  Especially in our modern time were people almost seem to feel that science is out to get them somehow.  I think that there needs to be some kind of intermediary between the general public and the scientific community.  Someone who can take scientific knowledge and phrase it in a way that makes sense to people who have almost no understanding of science.  Ideally it would be better if everyone would improve their understanding of science, but I don't think that is going to happen.  I think that their needs to me some source of information that people feel that they can trust.  Some kind of organization that people feel really provides an unbiased opinion.  The way things are today it seems that everyone feels that everyone is lying to them.  It seems like you can't trust anyone, or anything.  I think that trust needs to be restored some how.  People need to feel that there is something that they can believe in, at least to some extent.  I seem to be ranting, but the point I am trying to make is that it is very difficult to know who or what to believe in anymore.  Science and reason need to be promoted, or we may forget what it is that has brought us to where we are today.  We also need to remember were we were so we know why the way are today is so much better.  We need to appreciate what we have.  The world may never be perfect what ever perfect is, but if we can't even appreciate all the progress we have made then what is the point of even trying.  

Hambydammit wrote:

Personally, I think the "science of people" is the best thing we have to sell.  We know so much more now than we did even twenty five years ago that we really can say with some authority that not only is a lot of people's religious baggage wrong, it's harmful.  On the other hand, we can sell happiness through science -- This is the way people really are.  If you believe what the scientists tell you, you will be happier than if you don't.  That hits people right where they live.

Much of the "science of people" is not ready available to people.  Sure people can find the studies, but it takes a lot more effort to really understand what is being said.  There need to be some way the regular people can gain access to information that science provides.  This information needs to be unbiased.  That is a huge problem.  How can you make things both unbiased and understandable?  To translate technical knowledge requires expertise, and people with the expertise have biases.  How do you separate the biases from the information?  How do you convince people who don't really don't want to learn a whole lot of new technical information that you are honestly telling them what that research implies?  How do you make people believe in what you are saying when they just want to go on with their regular lives and not deal with a bunch of new ideas.  Frankly no on can know everything, and most of us don't want to know to much more that we really need to.  How do we know who we can trust?  Everyone has bias; can everyone really take the time to conform everything they come across as either untrue or true?  Can everyone reconfirm all the knowledge of humanity?  You must have faith in some of the things that some people say, but the really question is which people can you trust.  There need to be some one or something that people can trust.  If there is more than one source of information then people must choose sides.  That seems to be what is happening today.  People chose sides and the whole world seems to becoming polarized.  How long can the fight between conflicting ideals continue?  Can we live in world were the basic ideals threw which people live their lives conflict.  Obviously we can, but at some point without a point of connection how can we really stick together as a nation, or as a world.  I'm rating again.  I'm a little drunk so I hope you forgive me, but I'm still concerned.  Their needs to be trust.  Trust seems to be the basic issue.  There needs to be some way that the people of this world can all come together with a single source of reality.  We can not have a reality for each person in this world nor can we make each person in this world agree to a single reality.  So how can we make the people of this world agree to certain precepts that can forge us into a whole?  If there was even a single source of information that all people felt that they could trust then this wouldn't be a problem.  There isn't because people pick what they feel they can believe in and reject all else even if what they are rejecting is superior then to what they believe.  Well in the end I suppose there is no perfection.  We must all deal with what we have.  

Hambydammit wrote:

Basically, I think the problem with atheism in the eyes of the public is that people think they will lose something if they become atheist.  The trick, I think, is to sell them on what they will gain.

That is true.  Atheism is associated with a negative value.  People feel that by embracing atheism they are loosing theism.  What they aren't realizing is that theism really isn't anything, and that they have nothing to loose.  I thing that the best strategy is to enforce the idea that atheism is nothing less then theism, and that they really have nothing to loose.

Wonderist
atheist
Wonderist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hi RatDog,First I want to

Hi RatDog,

First I want to say that your post touches on a large number of issues which prompted me to start developing my own philosophy, so I'm glad you got into a drunken ranting mode. Smiling

RatDog wrote:

You can market almost anything with enough effort.  You just need the right approach, and the really understand the demographic you are selling to.  That said it is probably allot easier to sell a positive then a negative.  If we can sell something that people view as better then theism and doesn't conflict with the ideals of rationality that we are trying to preserve it would probable be more effective. 

This is exactly the reasoning that brought me to the conclusion that I need a positive name that defines an actual philosophy, rather than the mere label of 'atheism'. It is not atheism per se that I want to promote. Rather, it's a certain way of thinking and perceiving the world, using certain cognitive tools, such as the obvious example of the scientific method. Taking many cues from people like Carl Sagan, I came up with the root concept of 'wonder'. Hence, wonderism.

Quote:
Science definably needs better marketing.  Especially in our modern time were people almost seem to feel that science is out to get them somehow.

It is that, but it is not *just* that. People see science as inhuman, machine-like, cold, empty, and nihilistic. They think rational people 'think too much'. There is a meme going around that you cannot be happy or enjoy life without mystery and unanswerable questions. This is the meme of the mysterians. They don't *want* to know the answers to certain questions, because they feel that by knowing, or by merely contemplating, they will lose something important. They will lose their sense of mystery and awe. The 'religious' sense.

This is why it is important to me to focus on the concept of wonder. The mysterian argument is the last refuge of religion. There is this idea that there is something that religion/mystical thought has that 'science' cannot have. This is why people argue "Well, sure it may be nonsense, but people *need* religion/mysticism."

Wonderism directly argues against this fallacy, known as the Argument from Wonder, or the Argument from Personal Religious Experience. What wonderism argues is that "Hey, wait a minute! I have a sense of the wonder of the universe too! You don't have a monopoly on that. In fact, my understanding of the universe is so much greater, due to my study of science and reason, that I actually experience a greater sense of wonder than those shallow religious stories and that self-deception-masked-as-mystery you get from mysticism."

So, we swipe the whole argument away from them. We knock out that last column holding up religion/mysticism. If you want real wonder, the place to get it is in a science lab, looking through a telescope, or a microscope, or reading some science news, or investigating history with a critical thinking mindset, or whatever.

This is where I get my ideas about The Unknown and 'questions' from. The mysterian looks at a question, gets this sense of awe from not knowing the answer, the awe of The Unknown, and stops there, afraid to go further. The wonderist looks at the same question, and instead of fearing the answer, seeks out the answer. What the wonderist finds is that, when you answer an unknown, you don't lose that sense of awe, because The Unknown does not disappear. Instead, you end up with some little nugget of truth, some 'known', plus a whole bunch of *new* questions, new unknowns. So in fact your sense of awe (or wonder) grows as you seek and answer questions.

Quote:
I think that there needs to be some kind of intermediary between the general public and the scientific community.  Someone who can take scientific knowledge and phrase it in a way that makes sense to people who have almost no understanding of science.

I have been thinking on this problem for years. Part of my work here at RRS has been to come up with more intuitive ways of explaining complex technical topics. Most people do not think rationally most of the time. Most of the time, they think intuitively.

It is the relationship between intuition and rationality that has given me the most insight about how to promote science and critical thinking. We need to present an intuitive defense of rationality, for those who think intuitively. And, we need to present a rational defense of intuition, for those who think rationally.

The way to do this may be through an organization, but only if there is a solid foundational philosophy that underlies it. That's why I've spent the last few years puzzling through my philosophy. You see, the core problem is that people look to authorities to give them the truth. So, they pick one authority or another, as you mention later. They choose sides. But that's not where *actual* truth comes from. *Actual* truth can only be assessed by evidence outside of our own biased minds.

And how do we assess evidence? I've come up with only one answer that makes sense and is totally reliable: Prediction. This is why I say that truth is like an arrow. If you fire an arrow and it strikes its target, the arrow is 'true'. If not, then it is not true. This is an intuitive arguement for the idea that truth is determined by 'what makes the best predictions'.

So, the intermediary between the general public and the scientific community should be a community that promotes intuitive understanding of a philosophy of truth based on prediction. That's what wonderists do. Carl Sagan being the best example.

Examples of how to do this kind of promotion: Use the same media that the general public uses (TV, radio, books, movies, internet, theatre, art) to portray understanding of the universe (science) in an intuitive and interesting way.

My personal media of choice is science fiction. I am not published, but I'm currently working on several stories which I hope will promote both science and wonderism.

I think the RRS is largely in support of the general ideas I'm talking about, if not necessarily in the name I give it. That's why I continue to actively post and participate here.

I also have ideas to start websites which would collect these kinds of ideas, such as a wiki of wonderism, but I'm not currently in the position to start such a project, as I'm currently busy with work and other commitments.

Quote:
  Ideally it would be better if everyone would improve their understanding of science, but I don't think that is going to happen. 

Another idea I had was to start an Academy of some sort, a private school or something, which would provide a supplemental educational curriculum for kids. I don't see any reason why a 7 or 8 year-old can't be learning the basics of symbolic logic at the same age they are learning the basics of mathematics. I think it's a no-brainer to start teaching the concepts of evolution (mutation, selection, inheritance) as young as 8 years old. Computer science as young as 8 or 9.

Not just particular facts, but also instilling a sense of wonder and a desire to learn, which today's schools tend to *kill* in children. I personally despised school. It was too rigid, too institutional, too competitive. I far more enjoy learning on my own than in a school setting. Why not have an academy that teaches kids at their own pace, but presents learning as something fun and to be pursued for the sake of learning itself?

Quote:
I think that their needs to me some source of information that people feel that they can trust.  Some kind of organization that people feel really provides an unbiased opinion.  The way things are today it seems that everyone feels that everyone is lying to them.  It seems like you can't trust anyone, or anything.  I think that trust needs to be restored some how.  People need to feel that there is something that they can believe in, at least to some extent.

Again, people are accustomed to getting their answers from an authority. They don't know *why* they should trust a particular authority. Instead, we should promote the idea that knowledge is possible independent of any particular authority, through the ability to make accurate predictions about the universe. Whichever authority makes the best predictions is the one that can be reliably trusted. Science being the best example of this.

Part of the problem is to combat the relativistic and post-modernistic philosophies that dominate the general public. I have met so many people that think that it is *not possible* to know anything. Everything is just opinion, and one person's opinion is no better than any other person's. They have no concept that there is one reality that we all share. They say things like, "Perception *is* reality" (their emphasis), "That's just *your* reality", and "You can't argue with someone else's reality."

Wonderism argues directly against this, with its emphasis on pragmatic epistemology. We *do* know some things, even if absolute knowledge is not possible. We know things because we can make accurate predictions, and we know these predictions are real because we all share one reality and therefore we can share and agree upon the same evidences. For example, the sun is real, and we know this because we can all point to the sun, and we are all pointing in the same direction, and we can predict things about the sun, such as where it will be in the sky at a particular time, how its light affects us, etc.

Quote:
Science and reason need to be promoted, or we may forget what it is that has brought us to where we are today.  We also need to remember were we were so we know why the way are today is so much better.  We need to appreciate what we have.  The world may never be perfect what ever perfect is, but if we can't even appreciate all the progress we have made then what is the point of even trying. 

This is the theme of most of my science fiction stories. I suggest that essays and stories are the way to promote this idea.

Quote:
Much of the "science of people" is not ready available to people.  Sure people can find the studies, but it takes a lot more effort to really understand what is being said.  There need to be some way the regular people can gain access to information that science provides.  This information needs to be unbiased.  That is a huge problem.  How can you make things both unbiased and understandable?

This requires an understanding of intuition. Intuition is our brain's natural ability to make pretty good guesses. It is the foundation of our ability to make predictions about the world around us.

Most people think intuitively, which means that they use their raw intuition, without refinement from corrective methodologies such as rationality and the scientific method.

The problem is that intuition is not perfect, and in fact has numerous systematic flaws, which, when expressed, are known as inuitive fallacies.

However, at the foundation, everything we understand at a deep level must be understood intuitively. When you first learn logic, you must follow the logical principles by rote, or you will make mistakes. But after a while, you start to 'think' logically. Your intuition has absorbed the rules of logic, and you no longer have to follow memorized rules, you can just 'see' or 'feel' that some argument is illogical. (Again, this intuition will remain flawed and make mistakes, but it is better than untrained raw intuition.)

So, the 'science of people' topic can be addressed in two ways: First, to have rational people understand the nature (and the power) of intuition and intuitive modes of thinking. Second, for rational people to *use* intuitive modes of expression to express ideas about rationality.

As Carl Sagan has shown, it is possible to express complex scientific ideas in intuitive ways. Richard Dawkins and Daniel Dennett are also pretty good at doing this. Neil de Grasse Tyson and Michio Kaku are also good examples. For that matter, the Infidel Guy, Brian Sapient, and Hambydammit are also good examples. Deludedgod tends to super-saturated his stuff with enormous numbers of facts, which can be overwhelming, but nevertheless is also pretty good at bringing complex ideas into more-intuitive formats.

As far as who to trust? Again, it comes down to who makes the best predictions. At some level, you have to assess this for yourself. But if you use predictive power as a guide, you will be steered right far more than you'll be steered wrong.

Quote:
How do you convince people who don't really don't want to learn a whole lot of new technical information that you are honestly telling them what that research implies?

I suppose the only way is to provide links to trusted references and to have a peer-review process that can act as a proxy for individual authority.

Quote:
  How do you make people believe in what you are saying when they just want to go on with their regular lives and not deal with a bunch of new ideas.  Frankly no on can know everything, and most of us don't want to know to much more that we really need to.

The way to do this is to present it intuitively and in an interesting/entertaining fashion.

Show them the wonder of the truth, not just the truth itself. The fact that we are descended from apes is not particularly wonderous. But the implication that this means we are cousins to all life on Earth, and that a chimpanzee's life is just as rich and interesting as a human's life, can be an inspiring and wonderful thing to contemplate.

It all depends on how you present it, and what intuitive connections you can draw which connect the person you are talking to with the ideas you are presenting. The idea that the elements of the Periodic Table are generated in stars is not particularly interesting except to physicists and chemists. But the implication that this means *we* are made of 'star stuff' (as Sagan called it), and that we are intimately connected to the rest of the universe through this intuitive relationship, is something that can bring tears to people's eyes.

Same fact, different effect.

Quote:
You must have faith in some of the things that some people say, but the really question is which people can you trust.  There need to be some one or something that people can trust.  If there is more than one source of information then people must choose sides.  That seems to be what is happening today.  People chose sides and the whole world seems to becoming polarized.  How long can the fight between conflicting ideals continue?  Can we live in world were the basic ideals threw which people live their lives conflict.

The idea of faith, trust, and conflict. This was one of my first realizations after seriously adopting wonderism. The answer is 'evidence'. When we look at the conflicts of ideals in the world, what do we see? When two people disagree, the more 'faith' you put into the scenario, the *more* the people will disagree, vehemently, and often leading to violence. But when we add more 'evidence' to the scenario, the more people will *agree* and come to a consensus.

So, faith leads to conflict, and evidence leads to agreement. This is where my insistence on prediction came from. The reason we trust evidence is because of the predictions they create and confirm.

When Neil Shubin and his colleague decided to look for fossils of the link between fish and tetrapod, they used evolutionary theory and geological theory to predict that a certain kind of fossilization environment (river delta sedimentation) at a certain age (about 375 milliion years ago, between the ages of lobe-finned fish ancestors and amphibian descendants) would hold the fossils they were looking for.

They looked in one formation in the US and didn't find them, but then they discovered that there's another formation in the cold Canadian arctic which could also hold the fossils. They invested time and money in an expedition and lo and behold, they discovered Tiktaalik, at exactly the right depth they predicted.

That is how evidence works. You make a prediction, you find evidence to confirm the prediction, and this evidence lends credence to the theory that allowed the initial prediction. This works just the same in our everyday lives. We listen to people and we hear what they say. When we later discover they were telling the truth, or lying, we adjust our estimation of their reliability as witnesses.

Faith, on the other hand, eschews evidence altogether. You believe because you already believe, and fear being wrong. Evidence directly conflicts with faith. Faith is intuition gone awry. It is one of the systematic flaws in intuition that I mentioned earlier, which needs to be corrected by reliable methodologies like rationality and science.

The core argument boils down to this: If you are trying to reach agreement with someone, you must rely on evidence, not faith. Otherwise, your disagreement will get worse, not better. Evidence is the foundation of discourse.

Quote:
Their needs to be trust.  Trust seems to be the basic issue.  There needs to be some way that the people of this world can all come together with a single source of reality.  We can not have a reality for each person in this world nor can we make each person in this world agree to a single reality.  So how can we make the people of this world agree to certain precepts that can forge us into a whole? 

Actually, there is a second philosophy which I'm working on which addresses this exact issue you bring up. Notice above I used the word 'foundation' to say that evidence is the basis of discourse.

My use of the word 'foundation' was not accidental, but deliberate. Wonderism will not be for everyone. It will be for people who pretty much agree with me that science and rationality and logic and reason should be promoted with intuitive arguments such as the argument from wonder.

However, even if someone disagrees with me, we can still have a conversation without resorting to violence or some other unconstructive stand-off. All we have to do is agree on a few basic principles.

This is what I call foundationism. Foundationism is the idea that, whatever our disagreements, we *can* reach some basic agreement about reality. There *is* a foundation of understanding that we can all share.

The stuff I was talking about above about evidence is actually an argument about foundationism, not strictly wonderism.

Imagine a tree. The trunk of the tree is what we agree on. Every branch in the tree is where some people have a disagreement. So, you and I might agree that we need to promote science, but we may disagree with the specifics of how to do that. This, we share the trunk of 'promoting science', but we sit on different branches of that tree.

However, even if you and I are on the same tree, doesn't mean that we cannot have a conversation with someone who is not even on the same tree we are. Foundationism is not the tree, but the ground that the tree is planted in. This common ground can support any number of various trees, various philosophies.

The idea of foundationism is twofold: First, find the minimal concepts which we can all agree on. Second, raise that minimum up as high as possible.

Thus, we find a common ground that we can agree on, and then we try to negotiate as much common ground as possible, to try to learn as much as possible from each other, to come to as much true knowledge as possible.

Imgaine a skyscraper. It starts by digging out the ground and finding a firm supporting ground. Then we build a solid foundation on which we will build our building. But we don't stop at the foundation. We move to step two, which is to build as much on the foundation as possible. Each storey of the skyscraper becomes the 'foundation' for the next level, and so on.

It is a philosophy of discourse and understanding, but also of progressive learning and cooperation. Wonderism is built on top of foundationism, but anybody can build their own philosophy based on the minimal principles of foundationism. For example, I'm sure that even theists such as Eloise, possibly Cpt Pineapple, and others, could agree with the principles of foundationism. If they couldn't, then as a foundationist, I would try to find an even more-minimal set of principles that we could agree on, and then try to build up our common understanding from there.

Imagine two people on top of different mountains. One yells to the other, "My mountain is better than yours, it is solid beneath my feet." The other yells, "My mountain is better than yours. It is much higher than yours and I can see farther."

These two could go on arguing forever, each feeling justified and self-righteous. The idea of foundationism is for one of them to realize that of course they share a common ground between them, and to go 'down' to that common ground, walk over to the other mountain bringing a rope. Once he gets to the top of the other mountain (understands the other's position), he ties the rope to a rock on the other guy's mountain, and then uses this connection to 'build a bridge' from the top of one mountain to the other.

Essentially, you try to find a common ground, understand the other's beliefs/worldview, and then 'build a bridge' of understanding between your worldview and theirs. This requires explaining your concepts in terms of their language, and explaining their concepts in terms of your language. I call this a language bridge. It takes some effort, but understanding intuition can help a lot here.

For example, to explain wonderism to a Christian, I might study Christianity from their perspective, listen to their personal experiences with Christianity, and then explain their experiences with my terminology. For example, I might say, "Well, you know that religious experience you had? I have the same kind of experience when I experience wonder at contemplating the universe." Etc.

Quote:
That is true.  Atheism is associated with a negative value.  People feel that by embracing atheism they are loosing theism.  What they aren't realizing is that theism really isn't anything, and that they have nothing to loose.  I thing that the best strategy is to enforce the idea that atheism is nothing less then theism, and that they really have nothing to loose.

My tactic is to explain that everything religion can do, I can do without the dogma. I can have the same or better 'religious' experiences, which I call my sense of wonder. I can have community (although this is a current weak point). I can have mental health. I can be good and moral. Etc.

Wonderist on Facebook — Support the idea of wonderism by 'liking' the Wonderism page — or join the open Wonderism group to take part in the discussion!

Gnu Atheism Facebook group — All gnu-friendly RRS members welcome (including Luminon!) — Try something gnu!

Tapey
atheist
Tapey's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Atheism doesn't need

Atheism doesn't need better marketing, it just seems silly to market the lack of something. Sure you can market atheism as rational thinking or whatever. But that would just be lieing. I don't see myself as rational in any way shape or form. I rarely think carfully about anything. The same way religion lies by marketing itself as happy gogo fun land. I really don't see the need to market ideas.  

Whatever goes upon two legs is an enemy.
Whatever goes upon four legs, or has wings, is a friend.
No animal shall wear clothes.
No animal shall sleep in a bed.
No animal shall drink alcohol.
No animal shall kill any other animal.
All animals are equal.

deludedgod
Rational VIP!ScientistDeluded God
deludedgod's picture
User is offlineOffline
I was bored so I went

I was bored so I went through some old topics.

Quote:

But the implication that this means *we* are made of 'star stuff' (as Sagan called it), and that we are intimately connected to the rest of the universe through this intuitive relationship, is something that can bring tears to people's eyes.

To be more precise, we all come from the same star. Not just us, but all the terrestrial planets in our solar system. A star which undergoes a supernovae (i.e all stars in which the Chandrasekhar limit is exceeded) is large enough to provide sufficient material for a solar system.

"Physical reality” isn’t some arbitrary demarcation. It is defined in terms of what we can systematically investigate, directly or not, by means of our senses. It is preposterous to assert that the process of systematic scientific reasoning arbitrarily excludes “non-physical explanations” because the very notion of “non-physical explanation” is contradictory.

-Me

Books about atheism

TonyZXT
atheist
TonyZXT's picture
User is offlineOffline
Things under the umbrella of

Things under the umbrella of Atheism need marketed.  Richard Dawkins, the Rational Response Squad, and the FFRF etc could go farther if they had a marketing firm behind them. 

Also things related to Atheism, like science need marketing badly.  Science needs philanthropists to improve the attitude towards science and math education in this country, and get news of scientific progress into the mainstream.  They could really do a lot with TV if they got great minds and marketers together with top TV producers. 

Atheism as a whole could use an image overhaul, but marketing atheism itself wouldn't be effective in this climate IMO.  If the major Atheist orgs could get together to hire a PR. firm with a proven track record of making unpopular companies, and organizations palatable again, then we would make progress.  Movies, and TV shows with a secular message or plot could help immensely if done right.  The christians have their own marketing machine running like no body's business.  They are successful at getting language into popular speech by communicating ideas throughout their community.  Here's an example:  The word "blessed" was not used that much even 5 years ago.  Today I hear "have a blessed day" and people saying "I'm blessed to have xyz"  all of the time.  The latter use I've noticed more and more barely religious moderates using it, even if they never bring up religion in any other way.  The word has slipped into the consciousness of America.  The network of communication the christians have is awesome at that, even when spreading lies as we all know.  Until we can heard enough cats, and get ourselves organized to even a fraction of the level that they have, we are in trouble.

"They always say the same thing; 'But evolution is only a theory!!' Which is true, I guess, and it's good they say that I think, it gives you hope that they feel the same about the theory of Gravity and they might just float the f**k away."