Why are their Black Christians?

Cory_The_Ration...
Posts: 50
Joined: 2009-02-12
User is offlineOffline
Why are their Black Christians?

Are blacks Christians just because whites forced them to believe in Christianity when we brought them here?

I know they had three different religions back then (Ibo, Ashanti, and Yoruba) before we forced our beliefs upon them.

Please enlighten me on this peeps.

 

 

 

 


Cory_The_Ration...
Posts: 50
Joined: 2009-02-12
User is offlineOffline
There*

There*


Awelton85
Superfan
Awelton85's picture
Posts: 143
Joined: 2009-01-03
User is offlineOffline
The same reason there are

The same reason there are Christian Indians and Mexicans. They were "converted" long ago and it has been passed on from generation to generation. I don't think it has anything to do with race, that is how religion spreads no matter what color you are.

"So far as I can remember, there is not one word in the Gospels in praise of intelligence." - Bertrand Russell

Stewie: Yay and God said to Abraham, "you will kill your son, Issak", and Abraham said, I can't hear you, you'll have to speak into the microphone." "Oh I'm sorry, Is this better? Check, check, check... Jerry, pull the high end out, I'm still getting some hiss back here."


mr804
Special AgentSuperfan
mr804's picture
Posts: 158
Joined: 2007-11-04
User is offlineOffline
(No subject)


Nikolaj
Superfan
Nikolaj's picture
Posts: 503
Joined: 2008-04-27
User is offlineOffline
Cory_The_Rational_Dude

Cory_The_Rational_Dude wrote:

Are blacks Christians just because whites forced them to believe in Christianity when we brought them here?

I know they had three different religions back then (Ibo, Ashanti, and Yoruba) before we forced our beliefs upon them.

Please enlighten me on this peeps.

 

 

 

 

I'm pretty sure there are considerably more than three religions in Africa. And Ibo isn't a religion, it's a tribe.

Black people are religious for the same reason other people are. Most African Americans are christians because the slaves were converted, but there are many different Christians in Africa as well, and they have been converted through missionary work.

There is hardly a uniform group of people that one can call "blacks" and say, "Why are they Christian?" There are many many Muslim blacks, for one, and there are buddhist, scientology and atheist blacks too.

Well I was born an original sinner
I was spawned from original sin
And if I had a dollar bill for all the things I've done
There'd be a mountain of money piled up to my chin


mrjonno
Posts: 726
Joined: 2007-02-26
User is offlineOffline
Black people are every bit

Black people are every bit as gullible stupid and ignorant as whites, and every other member of our species?


Fishpasteplay (not verified)
Posts: 4294964979
Joined: 1969-12-31
User is offlineOffline
Why are there black

Why are there black democrats?


Psychosavant
Psychosavant's picture
Posts: 77
Joined: 2009-02-04
User is offlineOffline
Cory_The_Rational_Dude

Cory_The_Rational_Dude wrote:

I know they had three different religions back then (Ibo, Ashanti, and Yoruba) before we forced our beliefs upon them.

When you say "back then" do you mean back when they were African and not African American?

My response to this is that however a Black person wants to claim they are African American in race, they are not in culture. How many African Americans have you ever known that have even seen Africa? They're American. It doesn't matter if Americans are black, white, yellow, purple, or green; Christianity is the dominant delusion in America.

Technically, I'm Korean American (50/50). But I can't speak Korean, and I've only been to Korea for about 2 weeks. So when someone asks me, I'm just American. So being a part of the culture that I am, I'm exposed to the exact same religious delusions that every other American is.


Nikolaj
Superfan
Nikolaj's picture
Posts: 503
Joined: 2008-04-27
User is offlineOffline
Psychosavant

Psychosavant wrote:

Cory_The_Rational_Dude wrote:

I know they had three different religions back then (Ibo, Ashanti, and Yoruba) before we forced our beliefs upon them.

When you say "back then" do you mean back when they were African and not African American?

My response to this is that however a Black person wants to claim they are African American in race, they are not in culture. How many African Americans have you ever known that have even seen Africa? They're American. It doesn't matter if Americans are black, white, yellow, purple, or green; Christianity is the dominant delusion in America.

Technically, I'm Korean American (50/50). But I can't speak Korean, and I've only been to Korea for about 2 weeks. So when someone asks me, I'm just American. So being a part of the culture that I am, I'm exposed to the exact same religious delusions that every other American is.

Exactly. Americans are Americans. The OP question is clearly refering to African Americans, even though that is not explicitly made clear, and if you want to know about the history of Religion among slaves brought to America from Africa read up on it.

But like Psychosavant says, it's fairly easy to understand why most black people in America are Christians: because most people in America are Christians.

Well I was born an original sinner
I was spawned from original sin
And if I had a dollar bill for all the things I've done
There'd be a mountain of money piled up to my chin


Vastet
atheistBloggerHigh Level ModeratorSuperfan
Vastet's picture
Posts: 10687
Joined: 2006-12-25
User is offlineOffline
Thanks to asshole/psycho

Thanks to asshole/psycho missionaries, most people in North America and South America are christian. "Race" has nothing to do with it.

Proud Canadian, Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.


Psychosavant
Psychosavant's picture
Posts: 77
Joined: 2009-02-04
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:Thanks to

Vastet wrote:

Thanks to asshole/psycho missionaries, most people in North America and South America are christian. "Race" has nothing to do with it.

What's wrong with psychos?


butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
Posts: 3716
Joined: 2008-09-12
User is offlineOffline
Fishpasteplay wrote:Why are

Fishpasteplay wrote:

Why are there black democrats?

Ditto, the Republican and Democratic parties that existed during the Civil War aren't the same as the ones that exist today, even though they've kept their names. If you have any knowledge of history, you'll remember that the south was primarily Democrat while the south is now primarily Republican.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare


Vastet
atheistBloggerHigh Level ModeratorSuperfan
Vastet's picture
Posts: 10687
Joined: 2006-12-25
User is offlineOffline
Psychosavant wrote:Vastet

Psychosavant wrote:

Vastet wrote:

Thanks to asshole/psycho missionaries, most people in North America and South America are christian. "Race" has nothing to do with it.

What's wrong with psychos?

Nothing. As long as they aren't also assholes and missionaries. Sticking out tongue

Proud Canadian, Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.


spike.barnett
Superfan
spike.barnett's picture
Posts: 1018
Joined: 2008-10-24
User is offlineOffline
Nikolaj wrote:I'm pretty

Nikolaj wrote:

I'm pretty sure there are considerably more than three religions in Africa. And Ibo isn't a religion, it's a tribe.

Black people are religious for the same reason other people are. Most African Americans are christians because the slaves were converted, but there are many different Christians in Africa as well, and they have been converted through missionary work.

There is hardly a uniform group of people that one can call "blacks" and say, "Why are they Christian?" There are many many Muslim blacks, for one, and there are buddhist, scientology and atheist blacks too.

No label is going to effectively sum up any people. The term African American implies that all black people in America are from Africa as opposed to other places like Haiti. It also implies that there aren't any white people in Africa. Both of which are completely false. The term African American should be used only for people who have moved from Africa to America. While we're on the subject, we need a better term than American. An American could be from anywhere in the western continents and the term would be used correctly as defined.

Don't think I wrote this for you Nikolaj. Based on your post it is obvious you understand the futility of labels.

After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him.

The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.
MySpace


Sleestack
Sleestack's picture
Posts: 172
Joined: 2008-07-07
User is offlineOffline
spike.barnett wrote: It

spike.barnett wrote:

 

It also implies that there aren't any white people in Africa. Both of which are completely false. The term African American should be used only for people who have moved from Africa to America.

So very true. We are friends of a family from Africa (born and grew up there) who are now US citizens and they are white.

 

 


Tapey
atheist
Tapey's picture
Posts: 1474
Joined: 2009-01-23
User is offlineOffline
 Just out of curiosity why

 Just out of curiosity why even the label African American, why not just American. I certainly don't classify myself as a Britsh South African, im just South African. I have never lived in Britain I was born here in South Africa just the same as most black people in America have never lived nor were born in Africa. It just seems like a silly thing to do, to classify someone or even yourself to a place you have never lived or really only have the smallest possible connection to. You white Americans don't call your selves British Americans (or where ever your line goes back to) Your 'people' (sorry lack of a better word) didn't origanate in America yet to my knowledge you are just Americans. It has always confused me.

Whatever goes upon two legs is an enemy.
Whatever goes upon four legs, or has wings, is a friend.
No animal shall wear clothes.
No animal shall sleep in a bed.
No animal shall drink alcohol.
No animal shall kill any other animal.
All animals are equal.


Todd
Posts: 8
Joined: 2008-05-05
User is offlineOffline
I remember a story from a

I remember a story from a number of years ago. A goup of christian missionarys making contact with an african tribe explained the bible in detail and the Elders said "we like the old testament but not the new testement". The missionarys said "You can't do that, that would make you jews". So the elders said "okay we'll be jews" and the started practicing as jews. The news story was that after many years the tribe was finally recognized by some jewish organization or another (I can't remember any more details and it would be too hard to look up). 


Melkor
Melkor's picture
Posts: 6
Joined: 2009-03-11
User is offlineOffline
The same reason that anyone

The same reason that anyone is. :/