Outside of the internet: where are you an open atheist? and when do you hide it?

Adroit
atheist
Adroit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Outside of the internet: where are you an open atheist? and when do you hide it?

I'm just curious about how everyone here handles themselves outside of the internet.

-Work or school environment
-To social friends
-To personal friends
-distant relatives
-close family
-Dating
-(anything unique to you)

Are you passive or agressive about your atheism in these environments and what are your reasons for it?

Anyway you can answer those if you want because i really am curious... I don't know how i am going to handle myself in the college environment.

This is my responses but they arent that interesting i don't think

-Work or School environment:
I am a High School senior and I am an open atheist at school. I wear a shirt that says "Smile there in no hell" when i feel up for it. I do this because my high school life is almost over and I want to make up for wearing christian shirts my freshman and sophomore year... I also don't care if it isolates me because I'm leaving the environment soon

-Social friends:
I am somewhat passive to my social friends because i have a lot of fun with them and I don't know them too personally, Since I don't feel the need to understand them better or to be better understood I would rather stay quiet then to burn a bridge. While i may be wearing my shirt at school my friends dont usually comment on it, i think if a friend disagreed he wouldnt see it as worthwhile having a conversation about it

-Personal friends:
Absolutely, all of my close friends know i'm an atheist. I find it hard to connect to anyone who can't accept me as an atheist, and i don't know until they know. I have plenty of good friends who are christians, and I have lost plenty of friends that i thought were good friends when I let them know i was an atheist. And I'm glad of it, I learned who my true friends were.

-relatives:
Nope, maybe my parents tell them but i see no reason to cause drama because i normally only see them on those religious holidays to begin with. I dont think anything good could come of mentioning it during christmas or thanksgiving to really any of my distant relatives.

-Family:
Absolutely, Telling my family i didn't believe in God was tough because they are religious, and because i have the natural love for them I didn't want to disappoint them... I knew before i mentioned it that living with disagreement would be tough, but it didn't nearly compare with living in a lie. It took me a few months but i eventually was straightforward about it and let them know. Oh and also i get sunday mornings to do what i want!

-Dating:
I am maybe too aggressive about this, mainly because i want to make sure it isn't a problem before anything really takes off.

For example:
I talked to an old middle school friend a week ago who moved away in middle school and recently moved back. We got talking for hours and eventually she mentioned something about a valentine she got without a name... I completely forgot that i gave it to her back then (I was a shy dork) and it turns out we both had crushes on eachother hahahaha... We laughed for awhile about that and how stupidly shy we both were, and how we should have known we liked eachother. We were then talking about how we definitely needed to hang out more. She seemed really excited to see me... Then i realized how much i changed since then and slowly turned the conversation towards how things have changed a lot... I mentioned how I'm a lot different and eventually i mentioned that i didn't believe in God anymore. She hesitated for awhile and said "Thats ok i have a lot of atheist friends" (in a wierd tone) I said 'ok cool' or something and the conversation got wierd and we stopped shortly after, never ended up hanging out, and she hasn't said anything since.

I am very glad I mentioned that... I would have hated to figure out that about her later on.

SSBBJunky
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
-School:Most of the people

-School:

Most of the people in my class at least infer that I am an atheist, i think. Id love to be able to wear cool shirts like that to school.. like, ''too stupid to understand science, try religion'' xD, but I have to wear the school uniform.

-Friends:

My  friends know I'm an atheist and they have no problem with it as far as I know, at least my best friends anyway.

-Relatives:

Same. Only see them on christmas, birthdays, etc. No point in even mentioning it.

-Family:

My 2 brothers and I are all atheist but we havent felt the need to tell our parents(if they havent assumed it already). We dont go to church anyway.

-Dating:

Ill let you know.

''Black Holes result from God dividing the universe by zero.''

Rich Woods
Rational VIP!
Rich Woods's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Open about it

Open about it always...hide it never...unapologetic and unrepentant.

The benefits of being 45 years old, and not giving a shit who i offend.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
All my co workers know, they

All my co workers know, they find me anoying, but not because of my atheism, but because I tell bad corny silly jokes, and stress out when we are busy.

There really are only two situations where I wont talk about it. During wedings and funerals. Other than that, if you want to be my friend, and you talk about your god to me, do not expect me to mince words. I don't hate all people who make claims I find absurd, but I will if they insist on my silence to placate their insecurities.

I must clarify work though, I do talk about it, but when it is busy time, it is busy time and I focus on work. If the customer asks specifically, then I will talk to them, but I do not advertise it to them. Business comes first.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
User is offlineOffline
Well personally, I

Well personally, I don't wear atheism on my sleeve. My spiritual life is my own and I keep my own counsel. OK it is really my complete and total lack of a spiritual life but the last sentence is not helped by the extra adjectives. If theists choose to do the same, then all is well in the world.

However, when theists do not keep to themselves, then my spines will come out. One of my favorites is to ask fundies questions about the council of Nicea. Most fundies seem to not be aware of the history of the church past a dozen or so years ago. If you run into one, try asking them about the vote over whether god jr. was all man/all god. Those were the only two choices offered and the whole duality thing was a compromise because there were a few delegates who just would not go with what the rest of them wanted.

As far as your list goes:

Work: It has never come up but if it did, I would probably be honest about it.

Close friends: Some know, some don't. Again, it matters most if someone asks.

Close family: That is limited to my brother at this point. I think that he suspects but he has never asked.

Dating: I did once try dating a hot babe who claimed to be a Christian. I lied about the matter but it went nowhere. One night she was drunk enough to fuck but as drunk as I was, I knew that it would be wrong. Give me a drunk atheist chick and we can get some good drunken sex on but in her case, the answer had to be no.

Personal to me: Well, at my monthly local republican party meetings, I would keep to myself for the most part. I would not be adverse to steering the conversation in the direction that I wanted it to go.

For example, if abortion came up, I would observe that it is here and the best question is not how to make it go away but “What do we need to do now?” I would be a big fan of providing counseling to young women about adoption and how they could give a baby to a couple who really want one but cannot on their own.

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=

darth_josh
High Level DonorHigh Level ModeratorGold Member
darth_josh's picture
User is offlineOffline
I am open everywhere. In

I am open everywhere. In fact, it can be both a conversation starter and ender. lol.

I shy away from the subject only when I am in the company of very nice people who are also christian.

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server, which houses Celebrity Atheists.

Awelton85
Superfan
Awelton85's picture
User is offlineOffline
A good neighbor friend of

A good neighbor friend of mine was moving here recently, and I was talking to him in his front yard. For 2 years or so he would go around to all the families in the community and pray with them and try to get them saved and such. He never pushed his religion on me, tried to save my soul or anything like that. When I asked him why he was moving, he told me he was going to a nearby city to be a member of a large church. The conversation quickly turned to religion, and I politely listened to him state his belief for about 45 min. I never told him I was an atheist, because I was certian that I would have to follow that with an explaination of why. While I could have readily defended my position, I knew I was not going to change his mind on the matter, so I let it be.

I see telling someone your religious preference as a judgement call. He never asked, and I didn't feel it necessary to tell him. He was literally 5 min away from me never seeing him again, so I didn't feel compelled to start what would ultimately be a four hour conversation. Call me lazy.

Everyone at work knows, all my friends know, my family knows, and nobody seems to mind. I work hard, pay my bills, take care of my family and help my friends when they need it. That is what I think I am judged by, not my lack of belief in an imaginary being.

"So far as I can remember, there is not one word in the Gospels in praise of intelligence." - Bertrand Russell

Stewie: Yay and God said to Abraham, "you will kill your son, Issak", and Abraham said, I can't hear you, you'll have to speak into the microphone." "Oh I'm sorry, Is this better? Check, check, check... Jerry, pull the high end out, I'm still getting some hiss back here."

Renee Obsidianwords
High Level DonorModeratorRRS local affiliate
Renee Obsidianwords's picture
User is offlineOffline
-Work or school environmentI

I rarely speak of it at work. I will plant a few seeds here and there trying to gauge a persons 'godliness' ; I never assume one way or the other!
A few times I was able to get some to open up that they were atheist --> that is fun Smiling

-To social friends

It isn't a conversation starter but if someone asks, I will tell. If someone proselytizes, I will tell.

-To personal friends

Everyone knows.

-distant relatives

Some know (again, it isn't a conversation starter, but if pushed will be known)

-Close family

Everyone knows.

I never start a conversation regarding atheism it is always me questioning a persons stance with ' why - how - what - who -when '  and it goes from there.

Slowly building a blog at ~

http://obsidianwords.wordpress.com/

Luminon
SuperfanTheist
Luminon's picture
User is offlineOffline
- School: While I was there,

- School: While I was there, nobody ever asked. In first or second grade I attended religious class as a small kid, but it was mostly about having fun, telling stories, singing, etc, no Hell or Bible thumping. Many years later, on middle school, I was on a "camp" at a hotel in mountains. It was meant to learn English with a group of Americans. They were all Christians. (they get here much more often than nontheist Americans thanks to church organizations) By this way, I also learned how many people on my school were Christians. Not otherwise, it's not like people here wears it on their sleeve. We've got all atheistic education.

- Work: Majority of guys in our locker room aren't very intellectual. (with some exceptions) I've got a few people there who considers a God belief as a part of a common sense and good manners, so they feel a bit uneasy having a nonbeliever around. I don't waste time about mentioning them a great depths and subtleties of esoteric worlview, so I usually say that the thick books I read are about psychology and politics, which they indeed are.
Anyway, any serious discussion usually gets deranged by some silly joke, so it gets extinguished by a lack of IQ in the air.

- Friends: Most of them never cared about the great questions of life. All of them were naturally atheistic and anti-churchianistic. However, I had one who was also somewhat succesful in esoterics, so we had more in common.
Besides that, if I have any Christianic friends, I don't keep my unbelief very hidden. I usually mention the Constantinopolis Council in 533, and that their Christianity is not original. The real Christianity would contain reincarnation, as it was before 533.

- Family: We were mildly religional when we kids were young, but that was more of a disguise from neighbours, who are all Christians. Later we got independent on their opinion and stopped any participation in local youth Christian groups. Now we irritate them by organizing a weekly meditation gathering at our home, as a part of the civil association we founded.
My two brothers are atheistic as well, but have no interest in the great questions of life. They're entirely submerged in their lives with friends, classmates, school, partying, sports, and so on. I haven't ever seen them to read anything beyond some pieces of imaginative literature.
We let grandma in her belief, she's not a Bible thumper. She doesn't talk about Hell, fire or brimstone, she takes God, faith and prayer rather as a protective, helping factor. This is logical, as she survived the local WW2 and had seen her share of Hell from Nazi and Russian warfare. "The Lord allows [suffering] to happen, but won't forsake," that's her motto.

- Dating: My long-termed situation is hostile towards dating, this place sucks. Even in ideal case, I'd have to choose from among two groups: Christian girls and Tavernist girls. This area is infested with Tavernism, the religion of pub worshipping. People from both groups are repelled by my insatiable intelligence and vast knowledge. (relatively to them) Even if I keep my mouth shut, I'm not entertained at all by their enthusiastic descriptions of pub pilgrimages and party sermons. I don't mind a beer or three, but if this is everything they can talk about, it's just weird.

Beings who deserve worship don't demand it. Beings who demand worship don't deserve it.

pablotar
pablotar's picture
User is offlineOffline
The only people who I don't

The only people who I don't tell that too are the very old and religious folks around my neighborhood.

I just don't think they can handle it for some reason.

Eden had a 25% murder rate and incest was rampant.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Adroit wrote:I'm just

Adroit wrote:

I'm just curious about how everyone here handles themselves outside of the internet.

At work I keep things on the down low. If someone asks, I'll not lie to them, but I don't go around encouraging discussions either. Work is simply not the place for it. I'm being paid to work, not screw with the working environment.

At school I am completely open and adversarial. These are kids for the most part, and such notions should be wiped from their minds before it's too late. People trying to teach them crap like religion should be opposed as quickly as possible.

Adroit wrote:

-To social friends

-To personal friends

Same as school. I don't want friends who may turn on me when they find out I'm an atheist.

Adroit wrote:

-distant relatives

I rarely speak with them, but if the subject arose I'd lay it out for them.

Adroit wrote:

-close family

All my family which I care about and converse with on any kind of regular basis have been informed in one way or another over the years.

Adroit wrote:

-Dating

Most definately has to come out.

Adroit wrote:

Are you passive or agressive about your atheism in these environments and what are your reasons for it?

Usually passive, though when encountering aggression or if I'm under the influence of alcohol my aggression increases substantially.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 -Work or school

-Work or school environment - Well, I own the work environment, so I'm required by law to be neutral so as not to create a discriminatory atmosphere for anyone.  However, it goes both ways.  We don't have any Jesus during Christmas or Easter, and anytime we mention anything religious, it's in neutral terms.

-Social friends: Well, I don't have a lot of social Christian friends.  The ones I do have should almost be labeled "spiritual but not religious" or "quasi-Christian" as they're not the burn in hell types.  I don't really talk about religion socially unless it shoves itself in my face.  I do like to talk about science, and evolution, so I tend to run off the stupid theists.  I'm ok with that.  (Actually, about half of my social friends are scientists of one sort or another.)

-Personal friends: They're all atheists, so it really isn't an issue.  We don't really talk about atheism either.  As I mentioned in another thread recently, I don't think of myself as an atheist.  I think of myself as a rationalist materialist, and the atheism part just follows naturally.  It's not something I have to work at or talk about.  

-relatives:  I only have a few surviving relatives, and they're not ok with me being atheist.  It's a pity, and I guess I'm lucky in a sense that I only have to deal with a couple of relatives.  I really feel bad for people who have lots of family drama about it.

-Family: Well, I just answered that.  I should also add, though, that I live about 700 miles from my nearest relative.

-Dating: I only date atheists or agnostics.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

Nordmann
atheist
Nordmann's picture
User is offlineOffline
People who are offended by

People who are offended by my admission to being rational fall into two categories - people I like and care about so will then attempt to help get over that particular psychosis, and people I couldn't give a shit about. I never lie about it. Ever.

Having said that, I now live in a society where there are so many like-minded people that the subject just doesn't come up in normal day-to-day stuff. In fact the only person I can think of in the recent past who registered offence was a total stranger who came up to me in the street and asked me "Can I interest you in Jesus?". My reply "No, but I can interest you in a kick in the arse - it's real" resulted in a lot of verbiage hurled at me from a fast retreating christian.

I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy

Psychosavant
Psychosavant's picture
User is offlineOffline
Work - Religious

Work - Religious conversaion came up a few times. The nature of my work doesn't typically attract religious mindsets so rarely do I interract with devoutly religious people. However, just recently my boss walked up behind me while I was watching a YouTube vid about "Christian Leeches" and it turned out he was very religious. That was a bit awkard (I didn't know he was religious until this happened). After he was finished talking to me about work related stuff, he then began to ask me about my religious viewpoints since he saw me watching that video. He didn't pressure me or anything, he was just curious as to how I felt. It wasn't an intense converstaion and we easily respect each other, even if we disagree about religion.

Family - I haven't figured out how to come out to my family yet. My family is extaordinarily religious, and I have to admit a personal cowardice when it comes to approaching my family about it. As far as they know, I'm on the same page with them. I know... I know... I need to grow a pair.

Friends - Many of my friends are very religious. I debate with them all the time, but it's never an intense debate. Just a friendly exchange of ideas.

Nordmann wrote:

"Can I interest you in Jesus?". My reply "No, but I can interest you in a kick in the arse - it's real" resulted in a lot of verbiage hurled at me from a fast retreating christian.

Lol?

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Psychosavant wrote:Nordmann

Psychosavant wrote:

Nordmann wrote:

"Can I interest you in Jesus?". My reply "No, but I can interest you in a kick in the arse - it's real" resulted in a lot of verbiage hurled at me from a fast retreating christian.

Lol?

I'm guessing here, but if you didn't understand it, that's just an English Professor's way of saying:

A christian asked if I were interested in Jesus. I responded with a threat to kick him in the ass, since both my foot and his ass are real, while jesus is not. The christian then ran away, yelling threats and other useless comments, as he was unable to respond.

Sticking out tongue

Psychosavant
Psychosavant's picture
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:I'm guessing

Vastet wrote:

I'm guessing here, but if you didn't understand it, that's just an English Professor's way of saying:

A christian asked if I were interested in Jesus. I responded with a threat to kick him in the ass, since both my foot and his ass are real, while jesus is not. The christian then ran away, yelling threats and other useless comments, as he was unable to respond.

Sticking out tongue

Oh no no no sir, I was saying "Lol?" because on one hand his return  statement was very amusing. On the other hand I think he scared the poor guy.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ah. Glad I had the

Ah. Glad I had the disclaimer, "I'm guessing here". Usually when I see "lol?" it's a question as to the content of a previous post or comment. Apologies for inserting myself unnecessarily. Smiling

Psychosavant
Psychosavant's picture
User is offlineOffline
No apology necessary.

No apology necessary. Presumptions are perfectly acceptible with a pre-emptive disclaimer. Heck, it was probably my fault for being so vague.

Not_Your_Therapist
atheist
Not_Your_Therapist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Work: Technically I am an

Work: Technically I am an RA, I have a student job, so this is also "school". I am in graduate school (occupational therapy) and I am open about it. I have a shirt that says, "Have you hugged an atheist today?" and whenever I wear it, friends and faculty hug me. I am, however, a little less aggressive about it.

-To social friends

I actually don't have many social friends outside of school, I don't see the point. Regardless, I am open about it.

-To personal friends

Aggressively open about it - I am approaching evangelical atheist.
-distant relatives

I've had some serious conversations with a few of them, and the rest know.
-close family

They know of course. My siblings are both atheists. My mother, father and I have a silly relationship, we turn everything into a joke so usually we joke about it, I.E. my parents joking that I don't deserve birthday presents because I am a godless heathen, but then they pull out a b-day gift anyway. We've had a few serious conversations, and I am pretty sure my dad's an atheist too.
-Dating

I became single for while and decided to try only dating other atheists. That worked out great - Apparently hot atheist women are a rare commodity, and I had men worshiping the ground I walk on. Now I am monogamous, dating a guy who is as aggressive as I am. We both run a blog (www.ziztur.com)

Well damn, thanks for asking this question, I hadn't thought about just exactly how open I was, especially compared with some other people on here.

Your resident OTD/S, Christina
A good scientist will always change her mind if new evidence is presented which gives her sufficient reason to change it.
www.ziztur.com

marcusfish
Superfan
marcusfish's picture
User is offlineOffline
Carefully

I've really upset some of my close friends in the past with my agressive nature regarding religion. Since, I have been much more careful about those I care about.

At work, it is not a topic of conversation. If someone tries to make it a conversation I back out of it quickly. I have to keep my job, I can't afford to let some religious nut job cause trouble for me.

Outside of work, if the conversation comes up I will always be honest. I will be gentle with those that are not being agressive, and for those who want to fight I have been pretty rough in the past. I try not to do it, but if they want to have a go at me I'll dance with them for a little while. I become a real asshole real quick about religion, I try to keep the conversation in "safe" areas like here.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: Well, at my monthly

Quote:
Well, at my monthly local republican party meetings, I would keep to myself for the most part.

For someone with an avatar depicting a musician who made his living drumming up controversy and now lives in a mansion, you certainly don't seem to want to help your party expand.

Mind you, just because Rush Limpdick and Gene Simmons live in mansions, does not mean that all rich people are "let them eat cake" pricks. I am merely saying, out of all the posts I have read from you, and how ballsy of a minority amongst minorities you are, I am surprised that you don't take on your own party like you take on your fellow liberal commie atheists?

Your party will not expand and grow unless you assert yourself. They wont get cooties if you agree with their economic policies and are open about not believing in their superstition.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

peppermint
Superfan
peppermint's picture
User is offlineOffline
To be honest, I don't like

To be honest, I don't like making my beliefs (or lack thereof) follow some kind of agenda. They're personal, and I don't typically share them with people I don't trust on some level. It just leads to unnessecary bullshit with people that'll never listen. Though I do love to argue people I respect and can have a good conversation with, and I'm never ashamed to say I don't believe in god.

I would join an atheist club or union if we had one here. Like I said, I don't walk around advertising that I'm an atheist. When people act religious around me, I tend to just nod and ignore it. When the annoying asshole on my campus tries to shove his brochures in my face or the Jehovas Witnesses start giving me the 3rd degree, I simply walk away....fast. Fuck THAT.

-To social friends

If I trust someone/like someone enough, I'll let them know when the time is right. If someone asks me, I'm honest. It DOES get tough since I'm "culturally" Jewish, and people always assume that I'm religiously Jewish. (My last name is pretty Jewish) It puts me in a pretty awkward position. "OH ARE YOU JEWISH! DO YOU GO TO HILLEL?" .....cripes

-To personal friends

Definitely share it with them once we're close enough or if it comes up in conversation. I have religious friends that I don't bring it up with, though.

-distant relatives

Ugh...don't get me started. My parents are pretty much atheists, but my father's side is mostly reform/conservative Jewish. I had a bat mitzvah and everything, and everytime I spend time with these relatives they eventually start talking about Judaism. Of course they assume I'm Jewish without even asking me and say things like "WELL ITS GOOD SINCE THAT COLLEGE HAS A GREAT HILLEL PROGRAM". .....if only they knew

-close family

I talk to my mom all the time about how bullshit religion is. She's awesome about it, and my dad is chill too. He attempted to "raise" us Jewish because he was, but we sort of scrapped that as a family when we realized that it was kinda pointless since none of us really believe in it. I think we liked the traditions/food, and my dad has considerable unspoken pressure from his family to keep the Judaism alive. My grandfather (mom's dad) was  the COOLEST guy, always ranting about the bullshit of priests and religious nutcases. My mom's side is pretty much nothing.

-Dating

This is very important to me. I don't mind dating a guy as long as his religion is low-key enough and he's accepting. I love to argue religious guys, but if I get married one day, it'll definitely be with an atheist/agnostic. I can't deal with religion once I settle down. No way.

*Our world is far more complex than the rigid structure we want to assign to it, and we will probably never fully understand it.*

"Those believers who are sophisticated enough to understand the paradox have found exciting ways to bend logic into pretzel shapes in order to defend the indefensible." - Hamby

Carpe_Omnis
Carpe_Omnis's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hmmmm...

In my philosophy class, I often speak on topics concerning religion, ethics, and morals- and my stance is usually blatantly atheist. I've never out and out said I was an atheist. However, my teacher has twice asked everyone who believes in God to raise their hands; I'm always the odd man out. He has also referred to me as an atheist during lectures... though he is yet to have asked me whether or not I actually am. I guess it was obvious.

-To social friends

I keep kind of quiet, because I don't enjoy discussing religion often... but of course, if asked, or if relevant, I'll honestly express my atheism. I think I get a kick out of saying it to people, sometimes. The truth is that I haven't identified as an atheist for very long... beforehand, I knew that I was incapable of believing in religious concepts but was not sure if atheism was the correct term to use for myself... so not long ago, I would either answer a question of religion with some good ol' non sequitar fun ("Your mother! " ) or call myself an agnostic.

-To personal friends

I'm honest with everyone except one person: an old friend of mine who is very religious. She's the perfect case study of Christian irrationality. I love her, though. Though she is very close to me, she is actually a friend through a friend; I use this fact as an excuse for not being honest with her. Instead, I just remain quiet. She knows I have much different beliefs than her, but for all she knows I'm still a Jew (I tried converting about 3 years ago with a boyfriend who was Jewish. it was a joke).

-distant relatives

These barely exist in my life. Most are dead or out of contact. ...But I guess I just keep my mouth shut. There's no reason to discuss it. Most of them are not religious at all. In fact, I can't even think of one that attends church or regularly speaks of religion, much less one who has openly identified themselves as a Christian around me. But we all still live in west Texas, and since my distant family is kind of... white trash... I'm sure there's some kind of in-grown belief in God there. I'd rather not cause an arguement over something so trivial.

-close family

There's not much of that left either... due to both death and emotional detachment. Anyway, I'm completely honest in this area. 

-Dating

Again, not much of this either. I'm probably going to be single for quite a while, and I'm not particularly interested in changing that. If I had to think about it, though, I'd say it did not matter much. In fact, I sometimes find that when someone is less intelligent than me, it is attractive... almost endearing (lolz).

WBFL
User is offlineOffline
 Open: EverywhereHide it:

Open: Everywhere

Hide it: NEVER

radnomad
User is offlineOffline
 If the topic comes up, I

If the topic comes up, I am quite clear about my firm belief in reality.

Well, Sometimes if the topic is not brought up.

Well, Sometimes when I should really keep my mouth shut.

Okay, all the time.

Cali_Athiest2
Cali_Athiest2's picture
User is offlineOffline
Not really sure if there's

Not really sure if there's ever been a time where I've hidden my lack of belief. For a long time I considered myself an agnostic, but everyone that knows me is fully aware of my atheism. I'm sure it has cost me dates over the last year or so, but I wouldn't want to date someone who is afraid of dating an atheist anyways. There are probably a lot of people I haven't told, but I don't hide it, it's just not come up in conversation yet is all.

"Always seek out the truth, but avoid at all costs those that claim to have found it" ANONYMOUS

Zymotic
Superfan
Zymotic's picture
User is offlineOffline
Work or school environment:

Work or school environment: I am very open about my atheism at school. So much so, that any time anything is slightly antagonistic towards atheism is said, all eyes are on me. The only time I am not up for these types of arguments are when it's a class distraction or there is no point but to make myself feel better. I have argued with some people at school for the purpose of making a point to the audience.

To social friends: They all know. Most of my friends, no matter how close they are to me, are atheist. No reason to hide it from them.

To personal friends: My personal friends are all as strong in their convictions as I am. We don't have many christian friends among even our outer circles.

Distant relatives: I'm not sure if its ever come up at all. But I wouldn't deny it.

Close family: They all know. My mom is an atheist, too.

Dating: There is no way I would pursue further with a person if they weren't aware of my convictions.

My Brand New Blog - Jesu Ad Nauseum.
God of the Gaps: As knowledge approaches infinity, God approaches zero. It's introductory calculus.

A_Nony_Mouse
atheist
A_Nony_Mouse's picture
User is offlineOffline

Religion or lack thereof are no longer social issues. It rarely comes up and as I have said, usually over a beer. Only when people insist upon making religion a topic of discussion do I get an interest. I consider it impolite social behavior. So when it comes up I draw upon my experience with those out to convert me/us and deal with them.

I do not denounce them. It do not accuse them. I simply bring up the unanswered questions nearest to they version of "bearing witness" or whatever they think they are doing by raising the subject in polite company. This usually means I bring up the most compelling/confusing conundrum related to their line of attack and I do view it as an attack.

While this has been rare I have half a century of experience at it more or less. The response I try find I can get is the person withdrawing into silence while mumbling something like "I never thought of that" or "you raise a good point."

The least successful of these was a USAF LtCol expounding upon why he could not believe in hell because of "benevolent god would not ..." We were all government types, military and civilian, so I simply observed "you can't argue with policy." He did sort of an almost fall out of your chair, said "There's that" and continued much less forcefully than he started. You didn't get to our level and not be able to carry on after being thrown off message so he did continue but not with his opening confidence.
My comment raised the conflict between the loving god and the god with rules which he thought he had resolved but for which there is no possible resolution. Government policy is always seen as arbitrary and capricious by those on the inside because we know it is. At times we help formulate it. We know the beast.

The point being we have so many religions here, US presumed, that anyone bringing up one version of one of them is breaking the social rules in any and every context. Technically religion and politics are banned in bars so over a beer is also the wrong place.

Preaching is for street corners and antique soap boxes worth hundreds if not stood on to many times. It is not for polite company.

But if someone brings it up treat them as impolite and hit them where it hurts, in their silly faith.

Jews stole the land. The owners want it back. That is all anyone needs to know about Israel. That is all there is to know about Israel.

www.ussliberty.org

www.giwersworld.org/made-in-alexandria/index.html

www.giwersworld.org/00_files/zion-hit-points.phtml

joewhyit
User is offlineOffline
Re: Outside the internet...

Work: I don't bring it up. It's none of their damn business.

Social friends: If they notice the tattoo on my wrist, I explain it concisely, and leave it at that. If they decide to judge me negatively over it, then fuck 'em.

Personal friends: They already know. They don't look down on me for it. Some even respect my courage (or whatever) for not being ashamed of my views.

Distant relatives: I don't speak to them anyhow.

Close family: They already know. My father respects my right to believe (or not) as I see fit. My (hardcore Christian) mother has learned, over the course of many heated discussions on the matter, never to bring it up.

Dating: I handle it the same way as with "social friends". If they hold it against me, then fuck 'em; it probably wouldn't have worked out between us anyway.

BebekCucuk
User is offlineOffline
 I never bring it up. My

I never bring it up. My associates all know where I stand, and I don't try to argue or deconvert people. If it comes up, however, I am open about it. There is never any doubt where I stand on religion In all situations.

ZuS
atheist
ZuS's picture
User is offlineOffline
I live in Denmark, so it's a

I live in Denmark, so it's a rare occasion to meet someone actually religious. I grew up as an atheist in an atheistic country, so it's a totally rare thing for me in general to talk to religious people.

I meet a lot of wannabe-religious people who can explain to me why this or that breaking of a divine rule is ok in some circumstances, or that "God really meant it in a different way", but those guys are atheists using a concept for their own purposes. I think you can count most of the US crowd into those, our filthy atheistic brethren Smiling

I think we need more real theists.

Logic is a systematic method of coming to the wrong conclusion with confidence.

djneibarger
Superfan
djneibarger's picture
User is offlineOffline
-Work or school

A: open

-To social friends

A: open

-To personal friends

A: open, they've known for years

-distant relatives

A: open, even though their christian

-close family

A: open, they've known since i was a teen

-Dating

A: married to an atheist

-Are you passive or agressive about your atheism in these environments and what are your reasons for it?

A: i don't find any need to be aggressive about my atheism unless i'm being confronted in a hostile or fanatical manner. otherwise it's a casual thing, i'm an atheist and i don't need to justify it with an explanation or a defense.

www.derekneibarger.com http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=djneibarger "all postures of submission and surrender should be part of our prehistory." -christopher hitchens

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:Quote: Well,

Brian37 wrote:

Quote:
Well, at my monthly local republican party meetings, I would keep to myself for the most part.

For someone with an avatar depicting a musician who made his living drumming up controversy and now lives in a mansion, you certainly don't seem to want to help your party expand.

Mind you, just because Rush Limpdick and Gene Simmons live in mansions, does not mean that all rich people are "let them eat cake" pricks. I am merely saying, out of all the posts I have read from you, and how ballsy of a minority amongst minorities you are, I am surprised that you don't take on your own party like you take on your fellow liberal commie atheists?

Your party will not expand and grow unless you assert yourself. They wont get cooties if you agree with their economic policies and are open about not believing in their superstition.

Dude, who the fuck do you think you are?

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=

ZuS
atheist
ZuS's picture
User is offlineOffline
Answers in Gene Simmons

Answers in Gene Simmons wrote:

Dude, who the fuck do you think you are?

He is brian37, dude.

ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm an atheist. I'm open

I'm an atheist. I'm open about it as well. If anyone bothers me or harasses me with anything religious, I have no qualms about shutting them down with a nice debilitating insult towards them or their religion.

It is amazing how many people feel they need to come up and WITNESS to you, when they can't even argue for it, just repeat what they were told. I had someone yelling at me to help support a clinic that isn't a clinic at all, but a building that gets people together to parade around abortion clinics with pictures, posters, etc and hassle people that try to go in.

So I asked him if he wanted to make abortion illegal, he said yes because it's murder. So I asked him what the punishment should be, and I only got fish eyes back. A CRIME has to be PUNISHED. He informed me that "That is too far ahead, I haven't thought about it yet."

Too far ahead...by being the direct result of getting what you are telling people to do. Yeah. With that kind of foresight, I'm sure everything will be fine.

I can't help but to SAY something to these people when they broadcast their stupidity like this. It is one thing for someone to hold values to themself, but when they try to cram it down my throat, I have a problem. I live in WV, at the cusp of the bible belt unfortunately so this happens more than I would like.

Theism is why we can't have nice things.

spike.barnett
Superfan
spike.barnett's picture
User is offlineOffline

-Work or school environment - Open Aggressive
-To social friends - Open Aggressive
-To personal friends - Open Aggressive
-distant relatives - They live in a different state and we don't talk.
-close family - Open Aggressive
-Dating - Open Aggressive

What it really boils down to for me is if they can't handle it I don't want them around anyway.

After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him.

The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.
MySpace

Kavis
atheist
Kavis's picture
User is offlineOffline
My social network is a

My social network is a pretty odd mix with regards to my atheist-closet status.  My friends know, and my girlfriend was the one who finally deconverted me (I was in milkwater agnostiland for a long time). My mom knows, my dad doesn't. I think it would be amusing if my extended family knew, but I see them so rarely it just doesn't come up.

I work in retail/sales, so I don't often discuss religion and philosophy at work.  Along with politics, those are good subjects to kill business.  On the other hand, I typically pick a pretty public spot to sit down for my lunch breaks, with some incendiary atheist tome or other in tow.

Mostly it just comes down to who brings the subject of religion up with me. I'll argue with people, but I won't attack them from nowhere.

Religion is a virus.
Fight the infection.

Damon Fillman
User is offlineOffline
I never hide my beliefs. 

I never hide my beliefs.  In fact, I expose it in places where society would say "nono!  What are you crazy?" which includes the workplace.  I can't hide who I am, nor can I act like someone I am not in places where Atheism is "inappropriate." 

But, I get in trouble a lot by people are supposed to superior to me.  I also express pro-union views to all of my anti-union co-workers because our managerial types like to spit out anti-union rhetoric whenever they feel threatened (like now, for instance, with the Employee Free Choice Act approaching congress). 

I don't think it is right for us to EVER hide who we are.  I hate when people critisize the tattoos I have.  "Why would you get a tattoo on your neck!  Do you ever want a professional job?"

My take is, if they won't hire me because I have tattoos, fuck it....i don't want to work for them anyway.