The use of swords

julio
atheist
Posts: 290
Joined: 2008-12-27
User is offlineOffline
The use of swords

The reason why Jesus said
“I come from heaven not to bring peace but a sword"
[Matthew 10:34] was that DYNAMITE was not yet discovered!
Did you know about that?
Of course, if Jesus came from heaven today he would say:
“I come not to bring peace but a machine gun!”
Yes, because swords are no longer useful in war!

No gods with indirect messages to me.


Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
Posts: 2376
Joined: 2008-03-25
User is offlineOffline
julio wrote:The reason why

julio wrote:
The reason why Jesus said “I come from heaven not to bring peace but a sword" [Matthew 10:34] was that DYNAMITE was not yet discovered! Did you know about that? Of course, if Jesus came from heaven today he would say: “I come not to bring peace but a machine gun!” Yes, because swords are no longer useful in war!

 

    

        Remember this was the Prince of Peace;  what else could he do.

 

        Read a little further. I found Matthew 10:38 down right absurd. Read carefully "And he that taketh not his cross, and followeth after me, is not worthy of me."  Jesus is saying this before his crucifixtion which makes it nonsense. J.C. is useing  a veriation of the saying "we each have our own cross to bare".

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?


RespectfulButBe...
Posts: 48
Joined: 2009-02-22
User is offlineOffline
julio wrote:The reason why

julio wrote:
The reason why Jesus said “I come from heaven not to bring peace but a sword" [Matthew 10:34] was that DYNAMITE was not yet discovered! Did you know about that? Of course, if Jesus came from heaven today he would say: “I come not to bring peace but a machine gun!” Yes, because swords are no longer useful in war!
Jesus was perhaps of a more poetic bent than you are.  No believer reads this verse as Jesus saying that His mission on Earth was just to deliver a single sword.

Jeffrick wrote:
Read a little further.
Excellent suggestion.  For it or against it, I think everyone should read as much of the Bible as they can.

Quote:
I found Matthew 10:38 down right absurd. Read carefully "And he that taketh not his cross, and followeth after me, is not worthy of me."  Jesus is saying this before his crucifixtion which makes it nonsense. J.C. is useing  a veriation of the saying "we each have our own cross to bare".
It was hardly nonsense; I find it one of the most beautiful sentiments in the Bible.  Jesus knew exactly where He was going, and, after the crucifixion, this phrase must have been quite poignant for the disciples who heard it.  The words also carried an important message:  Christians should expect to be persecuted for their religion, and should nevertheless not lose faith.  Our reward comes in the hereafter, if not in our time on this Earth.

Once an athiest, now a believer, and always ready to debate issues respectfully.


Vastet
atheistBloggerHigh Level ModeratorSuperfan
Vastet's picture
Posts: 10546
Joined: 2006-12-25
User is offlineOffline
Absurd claims? Check.Proof?

Absurd claims? Check.

Proof? No check.

Hypocricy? Check.

Emotional argument? Check.

Shred of Logic? No check.

Auto-fail.

Proud Canadian, Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.


julio
atheist
Posts: 290
Joined: 2008-12-27
User is offlineOffline
A christ that tells his

A christ that tells his constricted conscripts that they will be persecuted is mentally deranged in need of URGENT psychiatric treatment.
Why would people offer themselves to persecution to promote a Jew christ, for Christ’s sake?!!…
His idea of happiness was to be perforated in the stomach by a sword, the idiot!!!
Martyrdom was the reward for utter delusion.
Jesus lived through a lot of HASHISH.

No gods with indirect messages to me.