If you add a word: 7 plagues upon you!

julio
atheist
julio's picture
User is offlineOffline
If you add a word: 7 plagues upon you!

Add to or take away something from the book of Revelation

and the seven plagues would fall on your head!

Revelation 22:18.

The sixth plague was to dry up the Euphrates!

Revelation 16:12.

[The book of Revelation: the most weird and violent of the Bible!]

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Define: "Add a word to the

Define: "Add a word to the book of revelations".

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

RespectfulButBe...
User is offlineOffline
julio wrote:Add to or take

julio wrote:

Add to or take away something from the book of Revelation

and the seven plagues would fall on your head!

Revelation 22:18.

The sixth plague was to dry up the Euphrates!

Revelation 16:12.

[The book of Revelation: the most weird and violent of the Bible!]

There is a very simple and rational explanation for this, but, since I am a Christian, I cannot add words to the Book of Revelation, so, unfortunately, I can't explain this to you.

Once an athiest, now a believer, and always ready to debate issues respectfully.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
So one must not be a

So one must not be a christian to add a word to this book? I qualify. C'mon people, what the fuck do I do? Where is the book?

pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
pauljohntheskeptic's picture
User is offlineOffline
 It's too late as there are

It's too late as there are many translations of this book and the words are different. For example just the threat in Revelation 22:18:

KJV - For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book.

NIV - I warn everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this book: If anyone adds anything to them, God will add to him the plagues described in this book.

NASB - I testify to everyone who hears A</a>)">(A)the words of the prophecy of this book: if anyone B</a>)">(B)adds to them, God will add to him C</a>)">(C)the plagues which are written in D</a>)">(D)this book;

The Message - I give fair warning to all who hear the words of the prophecy of this book: If you add to the words of this prophecy, God will add to your life the disasters written in this book;

Amplified Bible - I [personally solemnly] warn everyone who listens to the statements of the prophecy [the a</a>]">[a]predictions and the consolations and admonitions pertaining to them] in this book: If anyone shall add anything to them, God will add and lay upon him the plagues (the afflictions and the calamities) that are recorded and described in this book.

Contemporay English Version - Here is my warning for everyone who hears the prophecies in this book:   If you add anything to them, God will make you suffer all the terrible troubles written in this book.  

Young's Literal Translation - `For I testify to every one hearing the words of the prophecy of this scroll, if any one may add unto these, God shall add to him the plagues that have been written in this scroll,

Holman Christian Standard Bible - I testify to everyone who hears the prophetic words of this book: If anyone adds to them, God will add to him the plagues that are written in this book.

Wycliffe New Testament - And I witness to each man hearing the words of prophecy of this book, if any man shall put to these things, God shall put on him the vengeances written in this book [God shall put upon him the plagues written in this book].

Douay-Rheims - For I testify to every one that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book: If any man shall add to these things, God shall add unto him the plagues written in this book.

There are more versions but consider this sample of 10. 

If we literally interpret this then to add or subtract one brings the plaques upon the person who did it. But which version should I as an English speaker consider to be the base for comparison. I'll arbitrarily use KJV because it's at the top of this list and for no other reason.

Only the Douay-Rheims comes close to having the same words as KJV but it uses every one not  every man. 

If we just go by intent then is a warning and testifying the same? What about fair warning does that mean testify? Are books the same as scrolls? Are prophetic words the same as the prophecy of this book? Are terrible troubles the same as plagues? 

It also may be the only restriction is changing words we hear not words we read. Apparently it must be OK to change them if we read them as no restriction appears to apply for that. In that case reading the changed words is allowed but possibly hearing words that aren't the original isn't or is it hearing them and then repeating but incorrectly not allowed.

I have no clue.

"God is omnipotent, omniscient, omnibenevolent, - it says so right here on the label. If you have a mind capable of believing all three of these divine attributes simultaneously, I have a wonderful bargain for you. No checks please. Cash and in small bills." - Robert A Heinlein.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Well that's no fun.

Well that's no fun.

julio
atheist
julio's picture
User is offlineOffline
I firmly believe that the

I firmly believe that the Revelation that came upon this “John” guy was due to the abuse of HASHISH.
In those days the drug was the best remedy for arthritis and muscle pains.
ALL the apostles made use of it, including Jesus, who said that in the so-called “Temptation” was POSSESSED by the devil FOUR TIMES!!!
He was taken to the top of the Temple’s wall and to a very high mountain and twice back to the hut in the desert! See?
Hashish, my friends, was very, very popular in those days, and one of the side effects was “Apocalypses” galore! See, again?!…

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
I dunno. THC has grown

I dunno. THC has grown incrementally more powerful as each decade goes by. 2000 years ago, it would have done nothing for the average weed smoker today(unless they smoked a pound or more of it). I don't think hash can be the cause of this particular scenario. A variant on mushrooms or lsd maybe. Or opiates.

ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:I dunno. THC

Vastet wrote:

I dunno. THC has grown incrementally more powerful as each decade goes by. 2000 years ago, it would have done nothing for the average weed smoker today(unless they smoked a pound or more of it). I don't think hash can be the cause of this particular scenario. A variant on mushrooms or lsd maybe. Or opiates.

HI I'M ROCKSO THE CLOWN AND I DO C-C-COCAINE!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WM3XJI_HUEk

And that is what "the holy spirit" means.

Theism is why we can't have nice things.