North Carolina

spike.barnett
Superfan
spike.barnett's picture
User is offlineOffline
North Carolina

I got an offer from my biological father to move to North Carolina (from Michigan). He's offered my cousin and I a place to stay while we find jobs and lodging. I was wondering if any one lived there and what it's like. Any information would be helpful. I am leaning towards the move as I just found out I am not eligible for education grants. According to my cousin jobs are easy to come by down there.

After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him.

The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.
MySpace

DamnDirtyApe
Silver Member
DamnDirtyApe's picture
User is offlineOffline
 I don't know about the

I don't know about the jobs, but it all depends about where you go.  It's actually a really big state with 9 million+ people.  I've never held a residence there, but I've got relatives there and friends who work summers on the coasts occasionally.  I don't doubt you'd be able to find something in the Raleigh Durham area (they call it "The Triangle&quotEye-wink, given that's it's becoming somewhat metropolitan, and Charlotte, Wilmington and Greensboro are also relatively civilized.  In the summers it will be uncomfortably hot and humid, but you're young, so don't act like a pussy about it and it's likely no one will bother you.  The people are drawn to the thumping of a Bible, which is what you'd expect.  And they parrot back the message from the pulpit in cricket-like fashion (lots of fucking crickets, too).  In short, you'd have to put a gun to my head to move there, but you're in a different situation.  There are better places to make a go of it, there are also worse places.

"The whole conception of God is a conception derived from ancient Oriental despotisms. It is a conception quite unworthy of free men."
--Bertrand Russell

spike.barnett
Superfan
spike.barnett's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'll have to get the

I'll have to get the specifics. I do know that I am really starting to hate Michigan though. At least the part of Michigan I live in.

After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him.

MySpace

spike.barnett
Superfan
spike.barnett's picture
User is offlineOffline
Longwood is the city they

Longwood is the city they live in. Based on satalite imagagry I think I'll stick with Michigan... It appears to be very rural. Not really my thing. But then again... if I'm above average here... I'd be a fucking wizard down there!

It seems to be fairly developed near the coast as one would expect, and Longwood is only a half hour from the sea. Well within driving distance. I'll have to put a lot of thought into it. Know anything about the area?

MySpace

DamnDirtyApe
Silver Member
DamnDirtyApe's picture
User is offlineOffline
 The proximity to the coast

The proximity to the coast would be nice, though it turns out I have spent some time in that general area.  Had a "Children of the Corn" experience.

"The whole conception of God is a conception derived from ancient Oriental despotisms. It is a conception quite unworthy of free men."
--Bertrand Russell

geirj
geirj's picture
User is offlineOffline
My sister-in-law and her

My sister-in-law and her husband live in the Raleigh area. They really like it (and they're both liberal Colorado natives, so I guess that's something).

It's hotter than hell there in the summer. But the Carolina coast is really quite beautiful, especially in the winter season when all the tourists have gone.

Given that Michigan is in the shitter economically, you could do worse than North Carolina.

I can probably get them to hook me up with more information for you if you're still interested.

Nobody I know was brainwashed into being an atheist.

Why Believe?

spike.barnett
Superfan
spike.barnett's picture
User is offlineOffline
geirj wrote:I can probably

geirj wrote:
I can probably get them to hook me up with more information for you if you're still interested.

Please do. I'd really like a secular viewpoint if possible.

MySpace

geirj
geirj's picture
User is offlineOffline
spike.barnett wrote:Please

spike.barnett wrote:

Please do. I'd really like a secular viewpoint if possible.

I'll get the ball rolling.

Nobody I know was brainwashed into being an atheist.

Why Believe?

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
Depending on WHERE on NC,

Depending on WHERE on NC, most of it is cheaper to live . I live on the coast, that is definately more expensive because of the beaches. Most of the state is rural.

Greenville is a dump. I don't know much about Raliegh or Charlotte. Winston Salem is near Duke and Chapel Hill is where NC is.  But on average it is cheaper living.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog