An Offer: Access to Papers

MichaelMcF
Science Freak
MichaelMcF's picture
Posts: 525
Joined: 2008-01-22
User is offlineOffline
An Offer: Access to Papers

Hi folks,

This comes from something I've done a couple of times and I'd like to make it general rather than specific.

I assume that many of the people that are interested in scientific studies have some sort of access to scientific journals etc. but I know that might not be true and some people might just be relying on scientific journalism.  I have a good deal of access because I work in the Chemistry department of a University so I'd like to offer a service:  If anyone reads a study which references a paper they'd like to read, but they can't get access to, I'd be happy to try and get a hold of it for free.

Like I said it might not be something that's required but I'm happy to help Smiling  Plus, I don't know how much longer I'm going to have this access at the moment so I'm making the best of it...

 

M

 

Forget Jesus, the stars died so that you could be here
- Lawrence Krauss


Psychosavant
Psychosavant's picture
Posts: 77
Joined: 2009-02-04
User is offlineOffline
Which university?

Which university?


MichaelMcF
Science Freak
MichaelMcF's picture
Posts: 525
Joined: 2008-01-22
User is offlineOffline
I have access through the

I have access through the Universities of Glasgow and Strathclyde in Scotland.

 

M


Stosis
Posts: 327
Joined: 2008-10-21
User is offlineOffline
Not to say that this isn't a

Not to say that this isn't a good idea but isn't this illegal?


MichaelMcF
Science Freak
MichaelMcF's picture
Posts: 525
Joined: 2008-01-22
User is offlineOffline
Stosis wrote:Not to say that

Stosis wrote:

Not to say that this isn't a good idea but isn't this illegal?

 

You say illegal, I say helping other like-minded researchers in an official capacity... Smiling

Forget Jesus, the stars died so that you could be here
- Lawrence Krauss


Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
Posts: 4214
Joined: 2008-11-11
User is offlineOffline
OK, we have been discussing

OK, we have been discussing the genetic root of human sexuality recently.  Would you see what you can did up that relates to studies of sexuality and the length of people's fingers?

 

The reason why I ask for that is because we have a single link to a very informal study of a somewhat small sample group (a bit over 700 individuals) and from a potentially biased sample (people who attend street fairs in San Fransisco).  If similar work has been done at a dozen sites and on a more varied population, that would potentially lend strength to the one link that we do have.

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=


MichaelMcF
Science Freak
MichaelMcF's picture
Posts: 525
Joined: 2008-01-22
User is offlineOffline
Answers in Gene Simmons

Answers in Gene Simmons wrote:

OK, we have been discussing the genetic root of human sexuality recently.  Would you see what you can did up that relates to studies of sexuality and the length of people's fingers?

 

The reason why I ask for that is because we have a single link to a very informal study of a somewhat small sample group (a bit over 700 individuals) and from a potentially biased sample (people who attend street fairs in San Fransisco).  If similar work has been done at a dozen sites and on a more varied population, that would potentially lend strength to the one link that we do have.

 

I actually have a couple of papers that might be of interest to you that a psychologist friend gave me.  One is more generally related to the neurological development of sexuality, the other relates to 2D:4D digit ratios of 255,000+ people based on a simple internet survey conducted by the BBC.

 

As the PM system doesn't work anymore just mail me at mcfarlane_michael@hotmail.com and I can send you the pdfs

 

M

Forget Jesus, the stars died so that you could be here
- Lawrence Krauss


Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
Posts: 4214
Joined: 2008-11-11
User is offlineOffline
Sent.  Keep an eye out for

Sent.  Keep an eye out for this subject line:  Request for research info

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=


Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
Posts: 3142
Joined: 2007-06-24
User is offlineOffline
Mike: Would it be possible

Mike: Would it be possible for you to look-up papers from a fellow named Raymond Tallis (his dissertation in particular, if he has one, would be most helpful)?

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

- Leon Trotsky, Last Will & Testament
February 27, 1940


MichaelMcF
Science Freak
MichaelMcF's picture
Posts: 525
Joined: 2008-01-22
User is offlineOffline
Hey Kev, I've not had any

Hey Kev,

 

I've not had any luck tracking down Tallis' stuff.  I've got a friend looking around but he's said "Don't hold your breath".

 

M

Forget Jesus, the stars died so that you could be here
- Lawrence Krauss