DanMullin
DanMullin's picture
User is offlineOffline
U.N. Wants to Make Blasphemy Illegal - Looking for U.S. Support

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
I disapprove of what you

I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it

~Voltaire

Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
Scary

Interesting and scary. If that passes one day all of us non-believers could face the death penalty for the thought-crime of not believing in any god.

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
And that's my cue to start

And that's my cue to start stockpiling....things.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

nigelTheBold
atheist
nigelTheBold's picture
User is offlineOffline
I doubt this will pass

I doubt this will pass without the US rubber-stamp. It's a scary thought that many nations are behind this, though.

"Yes, I seriously believe that consciousness is a product of a natural process. I find that the neuroscientists, psychologists, and philosophers who proceed from that premise are the ones who are actually making useful contributions to our understanding of the mind." - PZ Myers

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
User is offlineOffline
Well, don't forget the

Well, don't forget the five permanent member vetoes.

The USA basically cannot allow this to go through.

France has a huge social issue with Moslem rioters.

Russia has only recently emerged from many decades of religious suppression.

China loves to suppress Falun Gong.

The odd man out on this one might be England but it does not matter as even one of the other four can cock block the whole thing and has strong motivation to do so.

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Yeah, this is really,

Yeah, this is really, really, really scary

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

mrjonno
User is offlineOffline
Well France consitution is

Well France consitution is very specifically secular, you arent allowed by law to ask what someone religion  is in their public census's. They are not going to approve this.

UK has just abolished the blasphemy laws (basically because of Islam, it only ever applied to the C of E and couldnt be justiifed in a multi-cultural society)

Russia is however probably a potential for a theocracy, religion there is very very strong combined with nationalism and well you get err America (well maybe Obama will stop this)

It's basically the 3rd world well being 3rd world. The UN is fine just a shame some of its members are complete shits

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
But would this mean that the

But would this mean that the religion could no longer criticize atheists? Could a pastor say that non-believers are evil and destructive to the world. Would the be allowed to terrorize us with the threat of hell? Seems this statute would require all religions to drop the doctrine of hell from their rhetoric if atheism was considered a religion.

Taxation is the price we pay for failing to build a civilized society. The higher the tax level, the greater the failure. A centrally planned totalitarian state represents a complete defeat for the civilized world, while a totally voluntary society represents its ultimate success. --Mark Skousen

Jormungander
atheistScience Freak
Jormungander's picture
User is offlineOffline
Answers in Gene Simmons

Answers in Gene Simmons wrote:

Well, don't forget the five permanent member vetoes.

The USA basically cannot allow this to go through.

France has a huge social issue with Moslem rioters.

Russia has only recently emerged from many decades of religious suppression.

China loves to suppress Falun Gong.

The odd man out on this one might be England but it does not matter as even one of the other four can cock block the whole thing and has strong motivation to do so.

This is not a security counsel issue. We don't get veto power over matters such as this. If a simple majority of states supports it then it will pass. There are a lot of muslim states that love this, so I think it might pass.

"You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their necks and we hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours."
British General Charles Napier while in India

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
EXC wrote:But would this

EXC wrote:

But would this mean that the religion could no longer criticize atheists? Could a pastor say that non-believers are evil and destructive to the world. Would the be allowed to terrorize us with the threat of hell? Seems this statute would require all religions to drop the doctrine of hell from their rhetoric if atheism was considered a religion.

There's the trick though. We'd have to allow atheism to be a religion in order to blaspheme against it.

Jormungander wrote:

This is not a security counsel issue. We don't get veto power over matters such as this. If a simple majority of states supports it then it will pass. There are a lot of muslim states that love this, so I think it might pass.

Isn't it interesting how after Bush spent 6 odd years trying to remove the UN, it might destroy itself? I can't see any way that most 1st/2nd world countries can back this. Could the passing of this result in the dissolution of the UN?

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
These morons don't get it.

These morons don't get it. It wont make things better, it will make religious fighting worse and sectarian fighting within any given religion worse. These idiots do not understand that BITCHING is part of human nature as much as scratching each other's backs are.

If I believed in ghosts, which I dont, but if I did I would summons the ghost of Thomas Jefferson to go over their and BITCH SLAP these politically correct fuckwads!

If he were alive today he would be pulling his wig out!

The key to getting along is not "Don't offend me". The key to getting along is to agree not to physically harm or advocate the physical harm to others, THAT IS CALLED COMMON LAW.

FUCK THE U.N.! AND FUCK ANY CHRISTIAN, MUSLIM, JEW OR ATHEIST, who is going to try to silence ANYONE for merely being offensive or merely bitching.

FUCK YOU! Lick my nuts, sit and spin and stick it up your ass!

It is bullshit for anyone to think that you can force people to like you. It is bullshit to think that all of humanity will always say nice things about each other. The more realistic approach is not to prevent bitching or blasphemy, but to agree that no matter what is said, we all agree not to harm each other.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Renee Obsidianwords
High Level DonorModeratorRRS local affiliate
Renee Obsidianwords's picture
User is offlineOffline
Found this newly updated

Slowly building a blog at ~

http://obsidianwords.wordpress.com/

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Nice to see our government

Nice to see our government isn't caving into protectionism crap.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

aiia
Superfan
aiia's picture
User is offlineOffline
Who voted yes:Y AFGHANISTANY

Who voted yes: http://www.eyeontheun.org/assets/attachments/documents/DR_VR.pdf

Y AFGHANISTAN
Y ALGERIA
Y ANTIGUA_BARBUDA
Y AZERBAIJAN
Y BAHAMAS
Y BAHRAIN
Y BANGLADESH
Y BARBADOS
Y BELARUS
Y BHUTAN
Y BOLIVIA
Y BOSNIA/HSNZNE
Y BRUNEI DAR-SALAM
Y CAMBODIA
Y CHAD
Y CHINA
Y COMOROS
Y CONGO
Y COTE DIIVOIRE
Y Cuba
Y DEM PR OF KOREA
Y DJIBOUTI
Y DOMINICA
Y EGYPT
Y EL SALVADOR
Y ERITREA
Y ETHI OPIA
Y FIJI
Y GUINEA
Y GUINEA_BI S SAU
Y GUYANA
Y HONDURAS
Y INDONES IA
Y IRAN (ISLAMIC R)
Y IRAQ
Y JAMACA
Y JORDAN
Y KAZAKHSTAN
Y KUWAIT
Y KYRGYZSTAN
Y LAO PDR
Y LIBYAN AJ
Y MALAYSIA
Y MALDIVES
Y MALI
Y MAURITANIA
Y MAURITIUS
Y MOROCCO
Y MOZAYIBIQUE
Y MYANMAR
Y NICARAGUA
Y NIGER
Y NIGERIA
Y OMAN
Y PAKISTAN
Y PHILIPPINES
Y QATAR
Y RUSSIAN FED [this doesnt make any sense to me]
Y SAUDI ARABIA
Y SENEGAL
Y SIERRA LEONE
Y SINGAPORE
Y SOUTH AFRICA
Y SRI LANKA
Y ST VINCENT-GREN
Y SUDAN
Y SURINAME
Y SWAZILAND
Y SYRIAN AR
Y TAJIKISTAN
Y THAILAND
Y TOGO
Y TUNISIA
Y TURKEY
Y TURKMENISTAN
Y U A EMIRATES
Y UGANDA
Y UZBEKISTAN
Y VENEZUELA
Y VIET NAM
Y YEMEN
Y ZIMBABWE
Y LI BERIA
Y LESOTHO
Y LEBANON

People who think there is something they refer to as god don't ask enough questions.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
I never thought I'd be happy

I never thought I'd be happy to see Canada on the same side as Israel and the U.S.

pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
pauljohntheskeptic's picture
User is offlineOffline
 What fun would there be if

What fun would there be if we weren't allowed blasphemy. 

Good thing the US considers it free speech or it might be time to change my name and go underground.

"God is omnipotent, omniscient, omnibenevolent, - it says so right here on the label. If you have a mind capable of believing all three of these divine attributes simultaneously, I have a wonderful bargain for you. No checks please. Cash and in small bills." - Robert A Heinlein.

Nikolaj
Superfan
Nikolaj's picture
User is offlineOffline
Lou Dobbs you stupid git,

Lou Dobbs you stupid git, you ARE the United Nations! And so am I.

I'm not saying the UN is the greatest invention of mankind, but for fuck's sake, we are (almost) all members, and we all get a say. And as has been pointed out some Nations get a bigger say than others.

Lou Dobbs clearly invisions the UN as some foreign nation trying to impose it's will on the poor defenceless United States, when in fact the U.S gains as much, and probably more, power over the rest of the world through the UN, than the rest of the world gains over the U.S through the UN.

And notice in the short interview with the woman at first how he basically proclaims Pakistan is not a democracy.

I'm sorry Lou Dobbs, but Pakistan IS a democracy. It's just inhabited by voters who don't think the way you do. Well I'm sorry, but that the whole reason for democracy! That all people don't agree. And it's the reason for the UN as well.

Now, I'd hate to see this resolution passed as much as Lou Dobbs, but unlike him I don't pretend that Democracy is going to save us all. Lou Dobbs apparantly only like the kinds of Democracies where people vote the way HE wants them to.

It just so happens that I do the same, because if a majority in the UN voted for this resolution, I'd be pissed, but at least I'd acknowlegde that it happened by democratic means.

Lou Dobbs throws around the word Democracy in this piece as though it is some kind of RELIGIOUS dogma, and yet the very thing he's rilling against is Democracy in action.

MAN I hate hypocracy!

Anyway, if this resolution ever did get passed (which I cannot imagine it ever doing) I'd just start my own religion, with some dogma that other religions just wouldn't be able to keep silent about.

Like for example that you HAVE to have sex with someone before you marry them. That is something that I truly believe is a moral virtue, or at least a wiser, healthier choice, and it would fly in the face of both Islam and conservative Christianity, and if they'd effectively silenced themselves with this resolution I'd like to see how they liked it then.

Well I was born an original sinner
I was spawned from original sin
And if I had a dollar bill for all the things I've done
There'd be a mountain of money piled up to my chin

Tapey
atheist
Tapey's picture
User is offlineOffline
aiia wrote:Who voted yes:

God Dammit im embarresed, although not at all suprised. 

Renee Obsidianwords wrote:

Found this newly updated article today

'The statement said the U.S. would be willing to re-engage if an acceptable document becomes the basis for deliberations. 

Israel and Canada announced several months ago that they will boycott the Geneva conference, which was intended to carry forward the work of a contentious U.N. conference on racism and intolerance held in 2001 in Durban, South Africa. Israel and the United States walked out of the Durban conference in protest against delegates' attempts to brand Israel as an apartheid state guilty of racism. 

Some U.S. officials say they feel the final document for the upcoming Geneva conference is "unsalvageable" as presently drafted. American representatives took part in early working sessions in Geneva, but they are expected to boycott any further meetings on the text of the final report.  

Some accounts say the U.S. might reconsider its position if the U.N. draft is stripped of provisions that are seen as unfair condemnation of Israel, as well as a call to restrict any defamation of religions - a stance the American side sees as interference with the fundamental right of free speech. '

Why am I not suprised? I'm glad we met our race card quota for that day though. I was begininng to think the polititions were struggiling to find things to call rasisit, glad I was wrong.

Whatever goes upon two legs is an enemy.
Whatever goes upon four legs, or has wings, is a friend.
No animal shall wear clothes.
No animal shall sleep in a bed.
No animal shall drink alcohol.
No animal shall kill any other animal.
All animals are equal.

Tapey
atheist
Tapey's picture
User is offlineOffline
Nikolaj wrote:Anyway, if

Nikolaj wrote:

Anyway, if this resolution ever did get passed (which I cannot imagine it ever doing) I'd just start my own religion, with some dogma that other religions just wouldn't be able to keep silent about.

Like for example that you HAVE to have sex with someone before you marry them. That is something that I truly believe is a moral virtue, or at least a wiser, healthier choice, and it would fly in the face of both Islam and conservative Christianity, and if they'd effectively silenced themselves with this resolution I'd like to see how they liked it then.

I like that idea I would add that it is your religous duty to critise all other religions. Perhaps praying to anything besides'(insert random thing that annoys the religous e.g. premarital sex) is considered blasphemy.

Whatever goes upon two legs is an enemy.
Whatever goes upon four legs, or has wings, is a friend.
No animal shall wear clothes.
No animal shall sleep in a bed.
No animal shall drink alcohol.
No animal shall kill any other animal.
All animals are equal.

Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
Nitpicking

The way I understand it;  to speak well of another religion within hearing of a muslim is blasphemy against islam and an insult to the true believer.

Christians would have to get rid of Crosses and statues because these graven images are blasphemy; and say goodbye to the fine art of stain glass windows.

Renaissance paintings and sculptures would have to be destroyed, in fact any piece of art depicting any god would have to go reguardless of how ancient it is, that includes the pyramids of Egypt and the Americas.

Of course Hindus,  who thrive on their religious imagry must be eliminated.

Not to mention surrendering our right to free speach without written consent from the nearest imam.

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?

Fanas
User is offlineOffline
aiia wrote:Who voted yes:

aiia wrote:

Who voted yes: http://www.eyeontheun.org/assets/attachments/documents/DR_VR.pdf

Y AFGHANISTAN
Y ALGERIA
Y ANTIGUA_BARBUDA
Y AZERBAIJAN
Y BAHAMAS
Y BAHRAIN
Y BANGLADESH
Y BARBADOS
Y BELARUS
Y BHUTAN
Y BOLIVIA
Y BOSNIA/HSNZNE
Y BRUNEI DAR-SALAM
Y CAMBODIA
Y CHAD
Y CHINA
Y COMOROS
Y CONGO
Y COTE DIIVOIRE
Y Cuba
Y DEM PR OF KOREA
Y DJIBOUTI
Y DOMINICA
Y EGYPT
Y EL SALVADOR
Y ERITREA
Y ETHI OPIA
Y FIJI
Y GUINEA
Y GUINEA_BI S SAU
Y GUYANA
Y HONDURAS
Y INDONES IA
Y IRAN (ISLAMIC R)
Y IRAQ
Y JAMACA
Y JORDAN
Y KAZAKHSTAN
Y KUWAIT
Y KYRGYZSTAN
Y LAO PDR
Y LIBYAN AJ
Y MALAYSIA
Y MALDIVES
Y MALI
Y MAURITANIA
Y MAURITIUS
Y MOROCCO
Y MOZAYIBIQUE
Y MYANMAR
Y NICARAGUA
Y NIGER
Y NIGERIA
Y OMAN
Y PAKISTAN
Y PHILIPPINES
Y QATAR
Y RUSSIAN FED [this doesnt make any sense to me]
Y SAUDI ARABIA
Y SENEGAL
Y SIERRA LEONE
Y SINGAPORE
Y SOUTH AFRICA
Y SRI LANKA
Y ST VINCENT-GREN
Y SUDAN
Y SURINAME
Y SWAZILAND
Y SYRIAN AR
Y TAJIKISTAN
Y THAILAND
Y TOGO
Y TUNISIA
Y TURKEY
Y TURKMENISTAN
Y U A EMIRATES
Y UGANDA
Y UZBEKISTAN
Y VENEZUELA
Y VIET NAM
Y YEMEN
Y ZIMBABWE
Y LI BERIA
Y LESOTHO
Y LEBANON

Phew, thank you "jesus", I'm not yet living in a country of f**in nitwits.

But I bet the result would be different if the vote was to make blasphemy against christianity illegal.

Jormungander
atheistScience Freak
Jormungander's picture
User is offlineOffline
Y CHINAWhat? China wants

Y CHINA

What? China wants blasphemy to be illegal? I guess that they just love cencorship so much that they would rather support religions than free speach. They oppress relgious minorities and then turn around and support a ban on even criticising religions.

If this passes it is good to know that the nations that voted 'no' will just ignore it and nothing will change. I suppose that is the good thing about the UN, it can never do anything that we don't like. We either veto the action if it is a security matter, or we refuse to follow the action if it is a general assembly matter. The system works people.

"You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their necks and we hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours."
British General Charles Napier while in India