Did your 'coming out' hurt anyone?

HecticSkeptic
HecticSkeptic's picture
User is offlineOffline
Did your 'coming out' hurt anyone?

Hello, this is my first post on these forums, I am somewhat new to the skeptical movement so I thought I'd share one of my first dilemmas. Apologies if this is in the wrong place, I had a hard tiem trying to figure out which forum was best.

Like the title implies, did your coming 'out' as an atheist (or anything else would work too I guess) hurt anyone?

If so how did you deal with it?

Was (is) there anyone who you did not tell on purpose because of this?

Why I ask is, my in laws.

My wife comes from a VERY fundamentalist Lutheran farming family from the heart of Michigan (for those of you not familiar with this area, it is about as stereotypical as you can possibly get).

Now, I typically don't mind speaking my mind or having potentially incendiary conversations over Easter dinner. But, when this news breaks about us, they will 100% unequivocally think we are doomed to hell. And it will 100% unequivocally color every interaction we have with them.

Which considering we live in the South (another prime source of stereotypes about Americans) wouldn't be a problem.

However, her parents, especially her father, are really advancing in age. I am worried that this man (who really is a good man he just can't get past his 60+ years on indoctrination) is going to die thinking his youngest daughter is going to hell. I really do not want to be the source of that.

Should we come out? On the one hand I think an honest and open dialogue is healthy for relationships and the species as a whole. I think skepticism suffers when people do not want to discuss taboo subjects. If a member of my family were to be going through a radical change, whether or not I agreed with it, I would want to know and have a honest dialogue about it.

On the other hand, this man spent his whole life trying to protect his children form hell (and yes I realize that the better protection would have been to dispel the myth of it) should we undo what he spent his whole life creating during his final years? :ask:

Thank you for taking the time to read this and thanks in advance for any replies,
Greg

Joemailman
User is offlineOffline
JoemailmanThe answer to the

Joemailman

The answer to the last question is YES. The religious mind set is constantly in turmoil whether you see it or not so you are not doing anything unethical nor unfair.  IOWs you are not the sourc of any turmoil whatsoever. If you are really an atheist you will know that when he passes there is no more worry on his part. In his passing if he is truly religious he will not get angry. He will only feel sorry that he will not greet you in heaven (if he can find you or is even interested in whether or not you are there).

Besides all of that just think how much damage this guy has done to his own family...intellectual, emotional, and psychological. Do yourself the favor of not telling anyone who is predictably unsane where you stand on the subject. You may be honest and feel that honesty is the best polocy but predictably it can only bring you grief if you do not do when in Rome as the Romans do. Religion is at the very least ignorant and at the most very dangerous.  Keep that in mind as you contemplate the "coming out of the closet". Your Constitution can keep you from being sued by religious nuts but it can't keep that bullet from penetrating your brain.

Ivon
atheist
Ivon's picture
User is offlineOffline
I've been an Atheist for 15+

I've been an Atheist for 15+ years and my Mormon family still doesn't believe me. They assume I'm just going through a phase and will some day come back to church. I've actually met quite a few people in my life who honestly just can't comprehend the idea of Atheism. That's usually when they say "but, look at the complexity of the eye..." at which point I tell them that they don't have a chance in hell of selling me anything by quoting Kirk Cameron.

Free your mind.

marcusfish
Superfan
marcusfish's picture
User is offlineOffline
HecticSkeptic wrote:On the

HecticSkeptic wrote:
On the other hand, this man spent his whole life trying to protect his children form hell (and yes I realize that the better protection would have been to dispel the myth of it) should we undo what he spent his whole life creating during his final years? :ask:

I can take one thing off of your plate of things to worry about: You won't change his views. Not under any circumstances, ever. So don't sweat that part.

anniet
Silver Member
User is offlineOffline
Is he just going to think

Is he just going to think you've dragged his baby off to hell or is he going to act on that and cause you guys some sort of real problems?  What level of negative fallout do you expect if you come clean?  Although you'll gain the ability to be fully honest, what is that worth in this setting and what exactly do you stand to lose?

"I am that I am." - Proof that the writers of the bible were beyond stoned.

HecticSkeptic
HecticSkeptic's picture
User is offlineOffline
anniet wrote:Is he just

anniet wrote:

Is he just going to think you've dragged his baby off to hell or is he going to act on that and cause you guys some sort of real problems?  What level of negative fallout do you expect if you come clean?  Although you'll gain the ability to be fully honest, what is that worth in this setting and what exactly do you stand to lose?

Thank you everyone for your replies.

The only real problems would just be making the holidays we spend with them even more difficult (holidays that my wife very much looks forward to).

The level of fallout would be something close to nuclear winter.  We'd survive but the ambient family temperature would definitely drop.

I am considering this because I think these conversations need to be had.  One of the reasons why religion has such a grip on people is because theses conversations aren't had.  People just assume we are amoral perverted heathens because they don't realize that we are everywhere, even across the table at Easter dinner (don't judge me I love ham!). 

These are people who avoid people like me, but now they have no choice, so why not represent, and break down some stereotypes? That's my dilemma.

Thanks for reading

Greg

A_Nony_Mouse
atheist
A_Nony_Mouse's picture
User is offlineOffline
Coming out has another meaning -- almost as socially taboo

Be that as it may, I came by it at 13, way to young to say it because I was old enough to know the hysterical response.

Years later with my own car but still at home for being in college I decided to "sleep in and go to a later mass." This was held at a neighborhood bar where I nursed a beer studying. One Sunday I went to a different one and there I see my mother's uncle and his friends doing the same as I was doing.

It was there I learned what I had picked up by osmosis. The men in the family were not religious but they avoided forcing the women to notice it. That is what I was doing. Maybe it is old time chivalry but I had picked it up from all the "don't tell your mother" secrets I had been told over the years.

After college off to a job in Washington and the first social question on the subject from the others was "do you go to church?" and a no was the end of it. No philosophical debate, no approbrium, no asking why. Discussion just moved on to another subject.

So I ask you to consider why you consider it a "coming out" that needs be announced? It is not like you need a coming out party and hold a black mass. Take it as it comes. I have never come across anyone who pushed for a reason why I did not go to church. The subject came up naturally eventually but it was just something to talk about over a beer not an inquisition.

Once the novelty is over you will find that socially people don't care about your beliefs on way or the other. That may not save you from the wandering preacher but just don't answer the door on Sunday.

In fact you will likely find it down right disappointing that no one cares.

You haven't killed anyone. You haven't had a sex change. You have simply come to a conclusion that has not changed you in the least save maybe an hour or two on Sunday or Saturday or Friday -- Tuesday if you were really strange. The most disappointing thing of all is that nothing has changed. You will get more comment on changing your favorite restaurant than on this. This is a big nothing to the world.

Of course when it comes to family, don't force your mother to know and your father won't get pissed at you unless he is a preacher. Don't bring it up. Don't ask, don't tell.

Above all do not get into debates. There are hundreds of canned arguments for belief most of which you have no heard and certainly do not have answers for. Most all of the initial reasons for turning from theism are shallow and not very good reasons at all. You are on the right path. Don't fall off it by testing yourself too soon.

Jews stole the land. The owners want it back. That is all anyone needs to know about Israel. That is all there is to know about Israel.

www.ussliberty.org

www.giwersworld.org/made-in-alexandria/index.html

www.giwersworld.org/00_files/zion-hit-points.phtml