Jusitification for my religious beliefs

The Hammer
The Hammer's picture
User is offlineOffline
Jusitification for my religious beliefs

Hello everyone. I wanted to post a defense of my Jewish beliefs.

1) The Tanakh: The Tanakh encompasses all of God's commands for daily life (ie Kosher laws, Sabbath restirctions or circumcision practices). It also contains the story of the Jewish people from the golden age of the monarchy, through the exile, through Greek and Roman conquests. The Tanakh contains depths of knowledge about human life in relationship with Hashem.

2) The Mishnah and the Talmuds: At times, the Tanakh is archaic and difficult to understand. Commandments that were applicable 3000 years ago no longer have practical significance today. The Mishnah represents Hashem's continued revealtion to the Jewish people through oral tradition. The Talmud updates the Torah to be more applicable to daily life in accordance with God's progressive revelation.

3) Failure of the Jewish monarchy: King Solomon built the incredible Temple in Jerusalem. However, Solomon was also essentially a henotheist. This practice of henotheism continued through the divided monarchy (see Chronicles). Their failure demonstrates the necessity for Jews to maintain worship in the one true God.

4) The survival of the Jewish people: My people faced constant persecution from the exile until the modern day (like the Holocaust denying bishops or the Israeli tennis player barred from Dubai). We faced Christian pogroms under the Roman Empire, Medieval kingdoms, and (to a lesser extent) Muslim kingdoms. We were falsely accused by Christians of host desecration, and the sacrifice of Christian children. All we wanted as a Diaspora people was tolerance. As emancipation began, with the enlightenment, we were hated no just for our religion, but for simply being Jews ethnically. Obviously, the Holocaust was the culmination of more then 2000 years of hatred, bigotry and ignorance. If you don't read anything else above, read this: I am a Jew because I cannot deny my heritage, my people and my God. We died for our beliefs, and we suffering because of our ethnicity. I am furious with God for allowing the Shoah. But the Jewish faith and tradition will not end with me.

5) Jewish Culture: Many Jews today don't believe in God. The majority of Israelis are non-religious. However, even if I didn't believe in God, I would still hold to the religious traditions of Judaism. Jewish practices such as holidays, the Sabbath and Kosher laws are an important part of who I am and where I came from.

Note: Don't assume that I have a literal Christian understanding of the Bible. Remember, my people wrote these books.

Also, just for better understanding...The Mishnah is the oral tradition of the Torah written in 200 CE. It is viewed as a holy text. The Talmud is commentary on the Tanakh and the Mishnah. Hamshem is a Jewish name for God. Finally, henotheism is the belief in many gods, with one god as the supreme god above the rest.

Finally, I would really appreciate it if no one used the divine name on this thread (YHWH). Don't spell it out please.

Eloise
TheistBronze Member
Eloise's picture
User is offlineOffline
The Hammer wrote:I really

The Hammer wrote:

I really didn't expect my request to be such an issue.

Really? You didn't think that imposing your God's rules upon a group of atheists would be an issue? mmmm... go figure.

Hammer wrote:

It's a simple request and I don't think I'm asking too much of you to respect it.

To adhere to the rules of the forum and not demand censorship subject to your participation, is also a simple request. Is it asking too much of you to respect that?

Hammer wrote:

I see that you're one of the leaders on this forum and with the RRS. Since you represent RRS leadership, that makes me worried that other RRS leaders won't respect my request either.

Hmmm, somehow I don't think that the RRS leaders will reciprocally profile other Jewish people with "worry" that they will not respect a request to have participants not impose censorship.

Moral High Ground:

RRS 2

Hammer 0

Hammer wrote:

If you keep writing the name of God, I'll have to leave the forum.

Your loss too.

Hammer wrote:

And I really don't want to do that. Besides, if I leave, what other religious Jews will you have left to debate with on these forums?

The ones who recognise the hypocrisy of your demand will do fine, it won't bother them.

Theist badge qualifier : Gnostic/Philosophical Panentheist

www.mathematicianspictures.com

deludedgod
Rational VIP!ScientistDeluded God
deludedgod's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:I mean relatives at

Quote:

I mean relatives at Auschwitz, holy shit. Hamby went a little far with that one.

I lost relatives at Auschwitz. I am Ashkenazic as well. Much of my extended family was in Warsaw in 1939, so I do understand why this is an emotional topic. My point is that Hamby was not being anti-Semitic in any way, and it is not acceptable to claim that he was.

"Physical reality” isn’t some arbitrary demarcation. It is defined in terms of what we can systematically investigate, directly or not, by means of our senses. It is preposterous to assert that the process of systematic scientific reasoning arbitrarily excludes “non-physical explanations” because the very notion of “non-physical explanation” is contradictory.

-Me

Books about atheism

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote: Quote:It

Hambydammit wrote:

Quote:
It seems as though he is well aware of what persecution is.

If he thinks having the name of his god spelled out is persecution, he clearly does not know.

You spell out his god's name and somehow he thinks we are going to gass him?

But, I am quite sure he's heard about all the times atheist have been equated to Hitler and Stalin and Po Pot. So if he wants to bitch about xenaphobia, I'd suggest he'd get in line and take a number.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

GermanMike
Blogger
GermanMike's picture
User is offlineOffline
deludedgod wrote:It's not

deludedgod wrote:

It's not possible that the last ancestor of all mankind lived 1,000 years ago. 1,000 years ago there were already established trade routes, full scale civilizations, and hundreds of millions of people.

trade routes put the most recent common ancetor closer to the modern day. Along those trade routes not just goods were transported but also genetic material. I could very well imagine one of those traders after a long journey having a good time with a farmers daughter in a forein land. The common child (that would be born after the trader is already on the way back home) and its ancestors would have a geneological link to a distant region.

I was very euro-centric when I claimed the MCRA just a few thousand years ago for all people but in Europe - where you had the Greek and the Roman civilisations with very loose moral standards when it comes to sexuality - genetic material should have been interchanged quite quickly between the civilizations.

-----------------------------------------------------

Who asks me inappropiate questions also has to live with the answers I may give.

Visual_Paradox
atheistRational VIP!Special Agent
Visual_Paradox's picture
User is offlineOffline
I think you're all just a

I think you're all just a bunch of islamophobes Sticking out tongue

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Visual_Paradox wrote:I think

Visual_Paradox wrote:

Is there a word for fear of mirrors? Every time I see my own face I get scared! MOMMY!

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Quote:I think you're all

Quote:
I think you're all just a bunch of islamophobes Sticking out tongue

I admit it.  I'm scared of Islam.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

Visual_Paradox
Visual_Paradox's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:Visual_Paradox

Brian37 wrote:

Visual_Paradox wrote:

Is there a word for fear of mirrors? Every time I see my own face I get scared! MOMMY!

You're eisoptrophobic Eye-wink

Stultior stulto fuisti, qui tabellis crederes!

Christos
Theist
Christos's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:Hambi is far

Brian37 wrote:

Hambi is far from anti semetic. He is against, like I am, taboos. If I can laugh at fellow atheist Richard Dawkins butt fucking Mrs Garrison on South Park, I am certainly sure, that this person can handle a mere refurence to the absurdity of "dont say his name".

Seriously

Would this same person always, even outside our presence, blindly obey us if we requested we say "RD" instead of "Richard Dawkins" "Don't say his name".

You just equated Richard Dawkins as the atheist god. That's hilarious. My evidence that the RRS is an atheist religion is mounting.

"A man can no more diminish God's glory by refusing to worship Him than a lunatic can put out the sun by scribbling the word, 'darkness' on the walls of his cell." (CS Lewis)

"A young man who wishes to remain a sound atheist cannot be too careful of his reading." (CS Lewis)

deludedgod
deludedgod's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:trade routes put the

Quote:

trade routes put the most recent common ancetor closer to the modern day. Along those trade routes not just goods were transported but also genetic material. I could very well imagine one of those traders after a long journey having a good time with a farmers daughter in a forein land. The common child (that would be born after the trader is already on the way back home) and its ancestors would have a geneological link to a distant region.

This would make it even less likely that a common ancestor of all mankind would be born 1,000 years ago. This is a fundamental statistical principle. Processes in which the population amplify always diverge as dictated by the Malthus equation. If I leave a population of bacteria in a supply of abundant food, it is possible to stain the initial colonies and watch them grow. Unless the bacteria are placed in a competitive environment, it is not statistically possible that over generations, the offspring of a single organism in the colony will produce the ancestors of every bacteria an arbitrary n generations later. It would be analogous to all the air particles in an arbitrary equilibrium state suddenly evacuating one side of the room and all moving to the other with the result of double the pressure on one side and zero pressure on the other. During evolutionary processes in which there is  common ancestor of a particular group of organisms undergoing a speciation event, this is only possible because gene flow is shut off. This is what allows for the process of speciation to occur. The existence of massive trade routes and civilizations of hundreds of millions is a situation of open gene flow, making it impossible that a single organism could give birth to every organism in the population approximately 25-30 generations later (1,000 years is about 30 generations).

"Physical reality” isn’t some arbitrary demarcation. It is defined in terms of what we can systematically investigate, directly or not, by means of our senses. It is preposterous to assert that the process of systematic scientific reasoning arbitrarily excludes “non-physical explanations” because the very notion of “non-physical explanation” is contradictory.

-Me

Books about atheism

Tapey
atheist
Tapey's picture
User is offlineOffline
Christos wrote:Brian37

Christos wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

Hambi is far from anti semetic. He is against, like I am, taboos. If I can laugh at fellow atheist Richard Dawkins butt fucking Mrs Garrison on South Park, I am certainly sure, that this person can handle a mere refurence to the absurdity of "dont say his name".

Seriously

Would this same person always, even outside our presence, blindly obey us if we requested we say "RD" instead of "Richard Dawkins" "Don't say his name".

You just equated Richard Dawkins as the atheist god. That's hilarious. My evidence that the RRS is an atheist religion is mounting.

I just you ask your self what a religon is. Presup I would suggest

Whatever goes upon two legs is an enemy.
Whatever goes upon four legs, or has wings, is a friend.
No animal shall wear clothes.
No animal shall sleep in a bed.
No animal shall drink alcohol.
No animal shall kill any other animal.
All animals are equal.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Christos wrote:deludedgod

Christos wrote:

deludedgod wrote:

This does not change the fact that it was completely ridiculous for him to call Hamby "anti-Semitic" on the grounds that he had pointed out that it was not acceptable for him to impose particular special requests on everyone here.

I don't disagree that Hammer can't impose those kinds of restrictions. I'm just saying, the Hammer seems pretty sensetive about the discrimination against Jews. I think he knows what persecution is fairly well. I mean relatives at Auschwitz, holy shit. Hamby went a little far with that one.

That said, this is probably the most times the word Yahweh has been used in an RRS thread.

No he did not. I have heard far more blasphemous things said to Christians, and seen Mary bleeding out of her ass on south park.

The problem is that people automatically assume that when you offend them, that means they hate you.

NO, everyone here in their life has had a friend or co-worker or loved one, who has made a claim(ON ANY SUBJECT) where we have thought, even if only to ourselvs, or vocally to the claimant, "That is bullshit"

No one need fear blasphemy. Everyone should fear taboos.

Part of being human is not only our disire to get along, but the need to bitch. What gets in the way of humanity merely seeing it as bitching, ARE LABELS.

I think it is fine when Christians Muslims or Jews bitch about atheists. WHY? Because I like to bitch too. I don't think that every theist who bitches about me hates me. I think they just want to bitch.

What prevents us from harming each other, are not blasphemy laws, but common laws. Like free speech, and the right to life and liberty.

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Quote:You just equated

Quote:

(While I'm in asshole mode...)

Speaking of shit that annoys the piss out of me, this is about third or fourth on my list.  (Accusations of bigotry are pretty much number one.)  No, you disingenuous twit, this is not equating Richard Dawkins as the atheist god.  He is a figure within the atheist community who has garnered great respect and is well liked by lots of atheists.

Let me explain how this works.

X is to Y as A is to B.  For this to be valid, there has to be a commonality between X and A which translates to Y and B.  For example:

Acorn is to Tree as Blackberry is to Bush.  You see, both acorns and blackberries are the reproductive unit for their respective plants.  Acorns grow on trees and blackberries on bushes.  Both trees and bushes are plants which reproduce by means of externally grown reproductive units.  While a blackberry is a berry and an acorn is a nut, they both serve the same function, and so are comparable.

Theism is to God as Atheism is to Richard Dawkins is not valid, for Theism and Atheism are not in the same class.    Atheism is, by definition, NOT theism.  Richard Dawkins is not comparable to God because Richard Dawkins is a man, and God is a god.  God serves the purpose of being the figurehead, alleged originator, arbiter, and dictator of a religion.  Richard Dawkins serves as a well respected colleague within a group of people who DON'T share a religion.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

Books about atheism

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Christos wrote:Wow Hamby,

Christos wrote:

Wow Hamby, you are an asshole.

No, an asshole expects you to blindly follow them without question and bitches a fit when you question them.

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
What amazes me is that if a

What amazes me is that if a rule has no basis to be followed, then people feel intitled to break the rule as often as they can that they wouldn't have done otherwise, if said rule wasn't proposed.

Ever tell a child not to say "fart" and then they keep repeating it 100 times?

Christos
Theist
Christos's picture
User is offlineOffline
I agree Hamby, theism is not

I agree Hamby, theism is not atheism. However, theism is not a synonym for religion. Buddhism is an example. Forms of Buddhism are an atheist religion!

Thus, the RRS doesn't need to believe in God to be a religion. Besides, there is a decent about of dogma here on the 'ol RRS. For instance, the dogma of theism as a mind disorder, or the fact that every atheist on this forum thinks that Jesus wasn't a historical figure. The only atheist I've ever seen to come out against Jesus mythicism was booted off the forums.

"A man can no more diminish God's glory by refusing to worship Him than a lunatic can put out the sun by scribbling the word, 'darkness' on the walls of his cell." (CS Lewis)

"A young man who wishes to remain a sound atheist cannot be too careful of his reading." (CS Lewis)

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Christos wrote:Brian37

Christos wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

Seriously

First off, I would appose any atheist putting any other human on a pedistle. If you are taking this as anything more than an example, you need help.

Idols are like gods, as usefull as heroin, but easly dismissed through reality as nothing more than an adiction.

GermanMike
Blogger
GermanMike's picture
User is offlineOffline
deludedgod wrote:Quote:trade

deludedgod wrote:

Quote:

This would make it even less likely that a common ancestor of all mankind would be born 1,000 years ago. This is a fundamental statistical principle. Processes in which the population amplify always diverge as dictated by the Malthus equation. If I leave a population of bacteria in a supply of abundant food, it is possible to stain the initial colonies and watch them grow. Unless the bacteria are placed in a competitive environment, it is not statistically possible that over generations, the offspring of a single organism in the colony will produce the ancestors of every bacteria an arbitrary n generations later. It would be analogous to all the air particles in an arbitrary equilibrium state suddenly evacuating one side of the room and all moving to the other with the result of double the pressure on one side and zero pressure on the other. During evolutionary processes in which there is  common ancestor of a particular group of organisms undergoing a speciation event, this is only possible because gene flow is shut off. This is what allows for the process of speciation to occur. The existence of massive trade routes and civilizations of hundreds of millions is a situation of open gene flow, making it impossible that a single organism could give birth to every organism in the population approximately 25-30 generations later (1,000 years is about 30 generations).

You forget that during most of its history mankind wasn't in a situation of free growth like a colony of bacteria in food. If you look at the charts of global population you will see that it stayed stable for quite a long time. It was stabilized by famines, pest and to a smaller amount by wars.

Thats also quite natural. Biological systems grow following exponential equations. But they can not grow indefinitly. At some point they meet a border that's usually defined by the natural resources the population dwells upon. For mankind that was for a long time the agricultural output. You need food if you want population growth. If you have several good harvests your population might even grow above numbers your soils may be able to sustain for a longer time, but that just means that you will experience massive famines when harvests drop to normal again.

You had massive population growths with the introduction agriculture about 12,000 years ago and then the population growth followed the advances in agriculture. The current world population of 6 billion people would be totally unsustainable without artificial fertilizers.

Lets do a bit math and go back 2500 years (about the time the Thora was codified) That are - taking your numbers - about 75 generations. If a couple at this time would have had on average 2.7 children and this line would have continued up to today, just this couple would nowadays have about 6 billion descendants.

Who asks me inappropiate questions also has to live with the answers I may give.

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Christos, you're just

Christos, you're just being annoying.  I'm not a mythicist, and neither is Brian.  The only atheists to come out against Jesus mythicism on this forum broke numerous forum rules, and were banned for it.  There are still quite a few members here who think Jesus probably existed, and they're free to say so.

Wiki wrote:
religion usually encompasses a set of stories, symbols, beliefs and practices, often with a supernatural quality, that give meaning to the practitioner's experiences of life through reference to an ultimate power or reality.[1] It may be expressed through prayerritualmeditationmusicand art, among other things. It may focus on specific supernaturalmetaphysical, and moral claims about reality (the cosmos, and human nature) which may yield a set of religious lawsethics, and a particular lifestyle. Religion also encompasses ancestral or cultural traditions, writings, history, and mythology, as well as personal faith and religious experience.

The term "religion" refers to both the personal practices related to communal faith and to group rituals and communication stemming from shared conviction. "Religion" is sometimes used interchangeably with "

faith" or "belief system,"[2] but it is more socially defined than personal convictions, and it entails specific behaviors, respectively.

Webster wrote:
1 a: the state of a religious <a nun in her 20th year of religion> (1): the service and worship of God or the supernatural(2): commitment or devotion to religious

faith or observance

2: a personal set or institutionalized system of religious attitudes, beliefs, and practices3archaic : scrupulous conformity : conscientiousness4: a cause, principle, or system of beliefs held to with ardor and faith

Religion is a set of beliefs.  Atheism is a lack of a set of beliefs.  There are no tenets to atheism.  There is no philosophy.  There is no holy book.  There are no rituals.  There are no pledges of faith.  

Buddhism is a religion.  It happens to believe that there is no god.  It is an atheist religion.  Notice that they are two separate words?  It is not Atheism the religion.  It is a religion that happens to be atheistic.

I'm not going to bother repeating myself again.  Save your breath.

Books about atheism

Jormungander
atheistScience Freak
Jormungander's picture
User is offlineOffline
Christos wrote:Besides,

Christos wrote:

Besides, there is a decent about of dogma here on the 'ol RRS. For instance, the dogma of theism as a mind disorder, or the fact that every atheist on this forum thinks that Jesus wasn't a historical figure. The only atheist I've ever seen to come out against Jesus mythicism was booted off the forums.

I don't support the Jesus mythicism campaign, and they don't kick me off. Maybe its my Protestant upbringing, but I think that Jesus was a real guy. It's just that after he died people wrote down some mythical stories about him and turned a man who was a political and religious dissisident into a messia that is god in human form. It's not even a big deal to me. I wouldn' be surprised if he was or was not a real man. I suspect he was real, but I'm not about to get banned from the forums for contradicting RRS dogma.

"You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their necks and we hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours."
British General Charles Napier while in India

deludedgod
deludedgod's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:You forget that during

Quote:

You forget that during most of its history mankind wasn't in a situation of free growth like a colony of bacteria in food. If you look at the charts of global population you will see that it stayed stable for quite a long time. It was stabilized by famines, pest and to a smaller amount by wars.

Yes, which makes it even less likely that a single person 1,000 years ago would have been the common ancestor of all mankind.

Quote:

Lets do a bit math and go back 2500 years (about the time the Thora was codified) That are - taking your numbers - about 75 generations. If a couple at this time would have had on average 2.7 children and this line would have continued up to today, just this couple would nowadays have about 6 billion descendants.

You are forgetting a fundamental Darwinian principle. Not all organisms survive to reproduce. Remember? Evo 101? This is the basis of natural selection. Let me stress this again. In events of cladogenestic speciation in which a group of organisms breaks off from another group to give a distinct lineage of organisms which could in principle derive from a single member of the group, this is possible only because there is no gene flow. If there was gene flow it would contaminate the cladogenestic split. It is not statistically possible in a situation of open gene flow for the population to converge. What you are proposing is just that.

-Me

Books about atheism

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Christos wrote:I agree

Christos wrote:

I agree Hamby, theism is not atheism. However, theism is not a synonym for religion. Buddhism is an example. Forms of Buddhism are an atheist religion!

Thus, the RRS doesn't need to believe in God to be a religion. Besides, there is a decent about of dogma here on the 'ol RRS. For instance, the dogma of theism as a mind disorder, or the fact that every atheist on this forum thinks that Jesus wasn't a historical figure. The only atheist I've ever seen to come out against Jesus mythicism was booted off the forums.

While the majority of atheists on this forum agree that Jesus probibly did not exist, what would it matter if he did?

Does that mean you have evidence that a disimbodied being with no DNA knocked up a girl? Does that mean you have evidence that human flesh survives rigor mortis beyond the mere claim of "poof" "God did it"?

The historians of this site can well verse you on this subject. BUT, even if they were to humor you for argument's sake, based on your claimed model that he did exist. SO WHAT, it still doesn't make Harry Potter litterally fly around on a broom.

But I will suspend judgment and await your AMA peer reviewed study of how spirits fuck girls and zombie gods reconstitute their flesh.

BTW, I can fart a full sized Lamborghini out of my ass.

WHAT? You say you don't believe me? It is an invisable Lamborghini, you just have to have "faith" that I can do it.

GermanMike
Blogger
GermanMike's picture
User is offlineOffline
deludedgod wrote:Quote:You

deludedgod wrote:

Quote:

Yes, which makes it even less likely that a single person 1,000 years ago would have been the common ancestor of all mankind.

Quote:

You are forgetting a fundamental Darwinian principle. Not all organisms survive to reproduce. Remember? Evo 101? This is the basis of natural selection. Let me stress this again. In events of cladogenestic speciation in which a group of organisms breaks off from another group to give a distinct lineage of organisms which could in principle derive from a single member of the group, this is possible only because there is no gene flow. If there was gene flow it would contaminate the cladogenestic split. It is not statistically possible in a situation of open gene flow for the population to converge. What you are proposing is just that.

I guess were are misunderstanding each other: genealogical descendance does not necessarily equal genetic descendance in all traits. To go back to the ancient trader in China: His genealogical lineage can survive but by the selection pressure (sexual selection) in the chinese societies a selection of his offspring against european traits could have taken place. So that after a thousand years every Chinese wouldn't be a billionth part descandant of his but - thanks to natural selection - to a much fewer part.

Christos
Theist
Christos's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hey, it's great to know that

Hey, it's great to know that some atheists on this forum are not mythicists. I gladly admit my error!

Here's the thing Hamby, I disagree with your definition of a religion. My definition of religion is as follows:

1) A discernment of ultimate reality relating to God. This knocks something like nationalism off my list. However, I do definte atheism as a discernment of God in its lack of belief in God.

2) A set of practices that pertain to a discernment (or lack thereof) of God. Therefore, I don't define general atheism as a religion. There are no common practices. However, here on the RRS, there are plenty of common practices. Take for example, the War on Christmas or the War on Easter or just posting thousands of times on the forums!

So based on this, I think you can make the case that the RRS, not atheism, is a religion. All Hail the Goddess of Reason!

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 It's not my definition.

It's not my definition. It's THE definition that's accepted by virtually all the major dictionaries, encyclopedias, linguists, and philosophers which address it.  Religion involves a code of beliefs and practices.  Atheism does not.

Have fun playing language games.  I'm not interested.

Books about atheism

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit

Hambydammit wrote:

Christos, you're just being annoying.  I'm not a mythicist, and neither is Brian.  The only atheists to come out against Jesus mythicism on this forum broke numerous forum rules, and were banned for it.  There are still quite a few members here who think Jesus probably existed, and they're free to say so.

Wiki wrote:
religion usually encompasses a set of stories, symbols, beliefs and practices, often with a supernatural quality, that give meaning to the practitioner's experiences of life through reference to an ultimate power or reality.[1] It may be expressed through prayerritualmeditationmusicand art, among other things. It may focus on specific supernaturalmetaphysical, and moral claims about reality (the cosmos, and human nature) which may yield a set of religious lawsethics, and a particular lifestyle. Religion also encompasses ancestral or cultural traditions, writings, history, and mythology, as well as personal faith and religious experience.

The term "religion" refers to both the personal practices related to communal faith and to group rituals and communication stemming from shared conviction. "Religion" is sometimes used interchangeably with "

faith" or "belief system,"[2] but it is more socially defined than personal convictions, and it entails specific behaviors, respectively.

Webster wrote:
1 a: the state of a religious <a nun in her 20th year of religion> (1): the service and worship of God or the supernatural(2): commitment or devotion to religious

faith or observance

2: a personal set or institutionalized system of religious attitudes, beliefs, and practices3archaic : scrupulous conformity : conscientiousness4: a cause, principle, or system of beliefs held to with ardor and faith

Religion is a set of beliefs.  Atheism is a lack of a set of beliefs.  There are no tenets to atheism.  There is no philosophy.  There is no holy book.  There are no rituals.  There are no pledges of faith.  

Buddhism is a religion.  It happens to believe that there is no god.  It is an atheist religion.  Notice that they are two separate words?  It is not Atheism the religion.  It is a religion that happens to be atheistic.

I'm not going to bother repeating myself again.  Save your breath.

From now on, I will not call you Hambydammit, I will sacradly refer to you as "HMBDMT"

Now, since I am respecting you, you must respect me by calling me "I Like Shiney Objects" or "ILSO"

Visual_Paradox
Visual_Paradox's picture
User is offlineOffline
I also do not hold the

I also do not hold the mythicist position, though I should add equally that I do not hold the just-a-mortal-man historicist position either. I find the subject interesting, but I do not particularly care which side has the story right.

geirj
geirj's picture
User is offlineOffline
The Hammer wrote:Our whole

The Hammer wrote:

Our whole history is marked by persecution.

Jews and atheists have something in common.

Nobody I know was brainwashed into being an atheist.

Why Believe?

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Brian, I like your idea.

Brian, I like your idea.  Let's run with it in the spirit of this thread.  From now on, let's all refer to Christos as a bigoted asshole.  We of course won't be using the standard definition.  We'll use our definition, which means, "Pretty ok guy, except that he redefines words to suit his liking."

All together now:  "Christos is a bigoted asshole!"

See?  Now we can go all over the internet and say that, and we'll be right, because we're using our definition.

Books about atheism

deludedgod
deludedgod's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:I guess were are

Quote:

I guess were are misunderstanding each other: genealogical descendance does not necessarily equal genetic descendance in all traits. To go back to the ancient trader in China: His genealogical lineage can survive but by the selection pressure (sexual selection) in the chinese societies a selection of his offspring against european traits could have taken place. So that after a thousand years every Chinese wouldn't be a billionth part descandant of his but - thanks to natural selection - to a much fewer part.

You are still misunderstanding the primary point. Geneological lineage implies that everyone is directly related to an initial ancestral organism by descent. Of course, we all are, but this person did not exist 1,000 years ago.

Let me try and articulate why this is not possible. An example will suffice. The spread of Y. pestis accross Europe from 1348-1352 would be an example of extreme selection pressure acting upon a very large population with open gene flow. One of the great mysteries of the spread of the plague to Europe was how the Venetian gallies managed to survive the trip from Caffa to Sicily, if they were infected gallies. It is possible that they had a variant of allele CCR5-delta 32, which is known to offer resistance against the plague.

Now, this rapid selection pressure would, by the Darwinian principle of natural selection, certainly increase the frequency of allelle CCR5-delta 32 within the gene pool. But today, it is not universally present, or indeed, present in particularly high frequencies. Why not? The reason is that the action of the pressure was very short lived. It occured in less than the course of a single generation. Once the pressure released, it would have resulted in a process called stabalization, in which the allele frequency dilutes because there is no longer selection process being applied to it. In order for an allele like CCR5 delta-32 to propogate throughout a population of open gene flow would have required a much longer time of selection pressure. The reason is, that the application of this pressure would have increased the probability that lineages with CCR5-delta 32 would have survived. In other words, the increase in frequency of particular lineages over competing lineages in populations of open gene flow requires the constant application of selection pressure in favor of the lineage in question. Otherwise, it becomes statistically impossible for that lineage to propogate massively in favor of other competing lineages. If we take our starting point to be the year 1000, there are many, many competing lineages which are propogating. What you are suggesting is that none of the other lineages survived the 30 generation gap. This is not possible for several reasons. One is because by basic principles of population growth, populations do not converge backwards. The other is that common ancestry of a group of organisms can only occur in the context of a cladogenestic split which isolates gene flow. Otherwise it is not statistically possible for this to occur.

-Me

Books about atheism

deludedgod
deludedgod's picture
User is offlineOffline
What the fuck is up with the

What the fuck is up with the italics? Hamby, I think one of your posts screwed with the formatting.

-Me

Books about atheism

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
This thread is full of so

This thread is full of so much fail from all sides, I don't even know where to begin.

First, I've seen plenty of people here re-define religion for convience.

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
lrn2[/i]  maybe somebody

lrn2[/i]

maybe somebody didn't close an italics tag.

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Quote:What the fuck is up

Quote:
What the fuck is up with the italics? Hamby, I think one of your posts screwed with the formatting.

That's a good question.  I checked a couple of common potential screwups, and it didn't help.  I'm afraid to delete the post because that will potentially delete replies.

I don't know what to tell you.

Pineapple, cite your sources.  Which atheist here has redefined religion to try to make a fallacious argument?  (And by who here, I mean which regular poster who wasn't then chided by another member for making a fallacious argument?)  Put up or take it back.

Books about atheism

Visual_Paradox
Visual_Paradox's picture
User is offlineOffline
I completely rewrote

I completely rewrote Hambydammit's post in an attempt to correct the problem, but for some reason it will not let me edit the post. I press Preview to check my changes, and it shows a preview and places in the edit area the original version. Strange.

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote:Pineapple,

Hambydammit wrote:

Pineapple, cite your sources.  Which atheist here has redefined religion to try to make a fallacious argument?  (And by who here, I mean which regular poster who wasn't then chided by another member for making a fallacious argument?)  Put up or take it back.

Well, first off, constant references to Japan as a non-religious society.

Japan is predominatly Shinto/Buddist, while they don't believe in God, that would make them atheist, not non-religious.

and then there's calling any dogma religions

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Oh no! Yahweh has visited

Oh no! Yahweh has visited his wrath upon us! We've been italicized for all of eternity!

Repent! REPEEEEEENNT!

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

- Leon Trotsky, Last Will & Testament
February 27, 1940

stuntgibbon
stuntgibbon's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple wrote:This

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

This thread is full of so much fail from all sides, I don't even know where to begin.

Not knowing where to begin is also a form of fail.

Renee Obsidianwords
High Level DonorModeratorRRS local affiliate
Renee Obsidianwords's picture
User is offlineOffline
The Hammer wrote:With that

The Hammer wrote:

With that Hamby, and everyone else on these forums, I'll get going. Thank you all very much for your time, and I wish you all the best of life in every way. Shalom!

Sorry to see you go.

Slowly building a blog at ~

http://obsidianwords.wordpress.com/

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Quote:Well, first

Quote:
Well, first off, constant references to Japan as a non-religious society.

Japan is predominatly Shinto/Buddist, while they don't believe in God, that would make them atheist, not non-religious.

and then there's calling any dogma religions

As I think back on all my references to Japan, I can't think of an argument that wouldn't hold up if I used the word non-theist in place of non-religious or atheist.  It may be sloppy, but it's not redefining to make a bad argument work.  While most of the Japanese population are members of a religion, they are almost entirely a secular society -- i.e. they don't have religious government or laws to any substantial degree.  My argument (the only one I can think of) that uses Japan is that secular societies are healthier than religious societies.  Japan counts.

Dogma has a very religious element to it.  Again, the word "religious" is not necessary to make the argument work.  We could say, "Dogma has many, most or all the same dangerous qualities as religion," and we wouldn't be calling dogma religion, but the point of the argument would still stand.

So, again, I'll ask, have any of us tried to make fallacious arguments by redefining religion into something else?

Books about atheism

stuntgibbon
stuntgibbon's picture
User is offlineOffline
 I tend to like big air

I tend to like big air skiing competitions over the shalom... but to each their own. 

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Once again, I'm on the

Once again, I'm on the opposite side of the spectrum from Alison.

This thread is brimming-over with win. Was that Hammer guy even for real?

YOU CANT USE MY MAGIC WORD YOU SONS OF BITCHES!!!

This thread has completely brightened my evening. I've never laughed so hard in weeks.

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

February 27, 1940

Wonderist
atheist
Wonderist's picture
User is offlineOffline
I think a better first step

I think a better first step in this whole YHWH thing would have been to point Hammer towards the Kill 'Em With Kindness forum. I doubt he thought of that option, and it wouldn't have hurt to suggest it to him.

In any case, I do agree that it was silly to expect us to give undue respect to his religion. I mean, that's what RRS is here to fight against. It doesn't take a genius to figure it out.

Wonderist on Facebook — Support the idea of wonderism by 'liking' the Wonderism page — or join the open Wonderism group to take part in the discussion!

Gnu Atheism Facebook group — All gnu-friendly RRS members welcome (including Luminon!) — Try something gnu!

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote:As I think

Hambydammit wrote:

As I think back on all my references to Japan, I can't think of an argument that wouldn't hold up if I used the word non-theist in place of non-religious or atheist.  It may be sloppy, but it's not redefining to make a bad argument work.  While most of the Japanese population are members of a religion, they are almost entirely a secular society -- i.e. they don't have religious government or laws to any substantial degree.  My argument (the only one I can think of) that uses Japan is that secular societies are healthier than religious societies.  Japan counts.

But Japan has religion in it's society. Even if the government doesn't force a religion, the society is still steeped in it. Hence it's still a religious society.

Hambydammit wrote:

Dogma has a very religious element to it.  Again, the word "religious" is not necessary to make the argument work.  We could say, "Dogma has many, most or all the same dangerous qualities as religion," and we wouldn't be calling dogma religion, but the point of the argument would still stand.

So, again, I'll ask, have any of us tried to make fallacious arguments by redefining religion into something else?

But even then the comparisons are iffy

For example, a religion usually involves worshiping a God

Now, the argument is that the leader of the dogma was worshiped as a God, but the problem is none of them are portrayed as creators of the universe or even remotely analogous a God in that sense.

RatDog
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Can you have no respect for

Can you have no respect for a person's beliefs and still respect the person?

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Now, the argument is

Quote:
Now, the argument is that the leader of the dogma was worshiped as a God, but the problem is none of them are portrayed as creators of the universe or even remotely analogous a God in that sense.

Take a look at the accepted definitions for 'God', Alison.

Only a few are so specific as to refer to the creator of the universe. It is hardly a stretch to say that Joseph Stalin was worshipped (by law) as a supreme being, which fits definitions 4 and 7 perfectly fine without anyone changing the definition to suit their own interests.

Quote:

February 27, 1940

stuntgibbon
stuntgibbon's picture
User is offlineOffline
RatDog wrote:Can you have no

RatDog wrote:

Can you have no respect for a person's beliefs and still respect the person?

Sure you can.  Tho, people on the receiving end rarely acknowledge those things are different.

GermanMike
Blogger
GermanMike's picture
User is offlineOffline
deludedgod wrote:Quote:I

deludedgod wrote:

Quote:

You are still misunderstanding the primary point. Geneological lineage implies that everyone is directly related to an initial ancestral organism by descent. Of course, we all are, but this person did not exist 1,000 years ago.

Let me try and articulate why this is not possible. An example will suffice. The spread of Y. pestis accross Europe from 1348-1352 would be an example of extreme selection pressure acting upon a very large population with open gene flow. One of the great mysteries of the spread of the plague to Europe was how the Venetian gallies managed to survive the trip from Caffa to Sicily, if they were infected gallies. It is possible that they had a variant of allele CCR5-delta 32, which is known to offer resistance against the plague.

Now, this rapid selection pressure would, by the Darwinian principle of natural selection, certainly increase the frequency of allelle CCR5-delta 32 within the gene pool. But today, it is not universally present, or indeed, present in particularly high frequencies. Why not? The reason is that the action of the pressure was very short lived. It occured in less than the course of a single generation. Once the pressure released, it would have resulted in a process called stabalization, in which the allele frequency dilutes because there is no longer selection process being applied to it. In order for an allele like CCR5 delta-32 to propogate throughout a population of open gene flow would have required a much longer time of selection pressure. The reason is, that the application of this pressure would have increased the probability that lineages with CCR5-delta 32 would have survived. In other words, the increase in frequency of particular lineages over competing lineages in populations of open gene flow requires the constant application of selection pressure in favor of the lineage in question. Otherwise, it becomes statistically impossible for that lineage to propogate massively in favor of other competing lineages. If we take our starting point to be the year 1000, there are many, many competing lineages which are propogating. What you are suggesting is that none of the other lineages survived the 30 generation gap. This is not possible for several reasons. One is because by basic principles of population growth, populations do not converge backwards. The other is that common ancestry of a group of organisms can only occur in the context of a cladogenestic split which isolates gene flow. Otherwise it is not statistically possible for this to occur.

I never claimed that one traders genetic lineage would overtake an entire population. At no point.

Lets go back to the European trader in China. When he injects his genes into the Chinese genepool the gene frequency of his will stay constant over generation just as long as their overall effect is neutral. Those genes of his, that give his offspring an advantage would increase in frequency within the Chinese gene pool over time, while on the other hand those genes of his that are disadvantagous would decrease in frequency.

One exampe: The Chinese society has other ideals of beauty than the European. So over time those of his offspring would propagate more who conform to the Chinese ideals of beauty - and therefore - would look very Chinese over a couple of generations.

To look at your example, if you carry the CCR5 delta 32 allelle you have to be related to someone who also carried it around the 14th century.

The inversion of argument that not carrying the CCR5 delta 32 allelle proves that you are not related to someone who carried it around that 14th century is on the other hand faulty.

As long as the effect of a mutation is neutral the frequency within the genepool stays the same. If a man carrying this gene has children with a woman who does not carry it the probability for each of his children to carry the gene is 50%.

Therefor you can't conclude that the amount of people carrying the CCR5 delta 32 allelle equals the number of people that are related to those who carried the genes in the 14th century.

Ciarin
Theist
Ciarin's picture
User is offlineOffline
Don't say the sacred word!

Don't say the sacred word! Ni!

Ciarin
Theist
Ciarin's picture
User is offlineOffline
The Hammer wrote:Don't you

The Hammer wrote:

Don't you want a non-Christian religious perspective every now and then?

Hello?