question about our superior status as humans

marshalltenbears
marshalltenbears's picture
User is offlineOffline
question about our superior status as humans

I was pondering some things about evolution. If we are going by evolution to say that we are the most highly intelligent, highly evolved species on the planet, does it make sense to think that maybe we are not. What I mean is this. Us humans are self destructive by nature. We require alot more to live than most other species. Would it be right to say that something as simple as a cockroach is better evolved. They can survive without their freaking head.(I don't know if that is true or not) I don't know how to phrase my question correctly to make it sensable. I just think about how complicated humans are, then I look at a roach and think, am I really better evolved? I hope you can understand what I am saying. Please respond.

"Take all the heads of the people
and hang them up before the Lord
against the sun.” -- Numbers 25:4

Yaerav
Bronze Member
User is offlineOffline
To be honest I don't really

To be honest I don't really think that terms like "superior" and "inferior" matter much in this respect. The only thing that really matters to me is that we are here, and we -and the earth- will just have to deal with that fact.

But I also think that it would be good if people would let go of the idea that we are "the superior species" of earth. We are just one beautiful strand in a huge, ever changing tapestry of life. Maybe the world would be a better place if people would view nature in such a fashion, and truly keep in mind that nature is not just that green stuff on the other side of the window, but also on the side walks and highways, and in the offices and houses: we áre, also, nature.

Watcher
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Human Evolution

Well to be truthful, a chicken is just as highly evolved as us humans.  We just evolved differently.  The idea that humans have reached some pinacle of evolution is simply egoism and is patently false.

Also, a lot of studies suggest that Dolphins may be more intelligent than humans, the neurons in their brains are much more densely packed than our own.  Dolphins have names for one another and it has even been observed two dolphins talking about a third that is not present at the time.  Who knows how intelligent they really are?

Really the main thing that makes us humans such a pain in the butt of the animal kingdom is that not only are we an "intelligent" species with abstract thought, but we have also retained full use of our upper limbs when we have become bipedal (as well as evolving an amazing level of dexterity with our hands).  I have even read one auther describe humanity as a type of natural centaur since we only use our hind legs for locomotion and have our hands free to manipulate our environment.

The biggest problem with us humans is that our knowledge has advanced far more swiftly than our wisdom.  We're still a young species having only existed roughly 200,000 years or so.  The average lifetime of a mammalian species is 10 million years.  I'd be glad for us to survive for a thousand more years.  Maybe by then we can get off this rock and establish an independent colony on Mars or in a space station by then.

"I am an atheist, thank God." -Oriana Fallaci

marshalltenbears
User is offlineOffline
good point

Maybe the world would be a better place if people would view nature in such a fashion, and truly keep in mind that nature is not just that green stuff on the other side of the window, but also on the side walks and highways, and in the offices and houses: we áre, also, nature.

That is a good point. I never thought about cities and things as being nature also. Although I prefer the green stuff.

nigelTheBold
atheist
nigelTheBold's picture
User is offlineOffline
It's a little misleading to

It's a little misleading to say one species is "more evolved" than another. About the only thing you can do is say, "Better adapted to suit their environment." You might also say that a particular adaptation is "more primitive" than another, in that one may not have all the workings of the other. But really, it's all just life adapting to its environment.

It's the whole "God giving man stewardship of the world" from the Christian faith that leads to the idea that we are "more highly-evolved." In truth, there is nothing that special about us. We are more specialized in problem-solving skills, but really, that's no more highly-evolved or special than a cheetah's excellent running skills, or a Liger's skills in magic, or a giraffe's long neck.

We just do abstract thought better than most.

"Yes, I seriously believe that consciousness is a product of a natural process. I find that the neuroscientists, psychologists, and philosophers who proceed from that premise are the ones who are actually making useful contributions to our understanding of the mind." - PZ Myers

marshalltenbears
User is offlineOffline
thanks

I guess you have to rethink the definition of Intelligence. Me and my wife were discussing this and we determined that a better definition for intelligence should be measured by how well a species can live in harmony and balance with its enviornment. And that is when I thought about a roach being more intelligent than a human. They don't kill for sensless reasons. they only eat to live, not live to eat. etc...

Watcher
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Dolphins have been observed

Dolphins have been observed to kill juvenile dolphins from other groups simply to sharpen their hunting skills.  I don't think anything on this planet has become intelligent enough to live in harmony with all other life.

marshalltenbears
User is offlineOffline
I guess what I meant was not

I guess what I meant was not over doing what you need to survive. Like a rich person living in a huge mansion, having huge elctric bills, wasting alot of water. That is what I was getting at. In nature you don't see too much wasting going on.

Watcher
atheist
User is offlineOffline
marshalltenbears wrote:I

marshalltenbears wrote:

I guess what I meant was not over doing what you need to survive. Like a rich person living in a huge mansion, having huge elctric bills, wasting alot of water. That is what I was getting at. In nature you don't see too much wasting going on.

Well you don't see much philosophy, civilization, technology, etc. in nature going on either.  We could have stayed living like our distant ancestors and stayed nomadic hunter gatherers.  And we probably would have survived for millions of years.  The only problem is that we would have been confined to living day to day completely at the whim of any sort of devastation that may occur.  (meteor impacts, world wide volcanic eruptions, and so on)

I'm sure we would have made a good run of it, but where would we ever end up?  The Neanderthals had brains larger than our own, yet they failed to survive.  Maybe it was loss of habitat that did them in at the end of the last glacial period.  Maybe we helped push them into extinction.  Most likely it was a combination of factors that led to their demise.

Us Homo Sapiens are attempting something new here on earth.  Maybe this experiment will result in our annihilation.  But maybe we can progress beyond the confines of this one planet.  Who knows?  However, for the first time, among all the millions of species that ever existed (and which 99% of have already died out) we alone have at least the possibility of taking control of our destiny. 

We would never have that if we weren't able to move beyond just surviving from day to day.

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Quote:If we are going by

Quote:
If we are going by evolution to say that we are the most highly intelligent, highly evolved species on the planet

Take the word "highly" out of your evolutionary vocabulary.  It has no place.   The idea of being highly evolved is an anthropomorphic mistake.  Every organism on the planet is equally evolved, for we all started evolving at the same time.  We humans are (in some ways) much more complex than other organisms, but superior and inferior are subjective judgments that depend on the point of view of the observer.

Consider that humans are some of the most inferior swimmers of all the animals.  We can't hold our breath for longer than a few minutes at most.  We are very slow runners compared to many animals.  Try butchering a gazelle with your teeth and fingernails.  You might be able to do it eventually, but the lion's going to have the whole thing eaten before you get more than a few good mouthfuls.

Quote:
 Us humans are self destructive by nature. We require alot more to live than most other species.

Destroying our environment is not unique to humans.  There are many organisms, both plant and animal, that use up all of their resources and then starve to death, or that drive other species extinct through over-hunting.  Again, it is a mistake of human-centric thinking to suggest that we are unique.  We are not.

We don't require a lot more to live than most other species.  While a typical human can survive on a thousand or so calories a day (substantially less than a pound of food) a Sumatran lion can eat as much as 40 pounds of meat in one sitting.  The red throat hummingbird can consume more than its own weight per hour and eats more than five times its own weight in a typical day.

Quote:
Would it be right to say that something as simple as a cockroach is better evolved.

In some ways, yes.  If you want to go one better, go for ants.  The ant population of the earth is estimated in the quadrillions, meaning that for every human, there are probably two to three million ants.  If reproductive success is our measure of better evolution, then ants win hands down.

Oh, and let's not get started on bacteria.  Sometimes simple is better.

Quote:
I just think about how complicated humans are, then I look at a roach and think, am I really better evolved? I hope you can understand what I am saying. Please respond.

Absolutely.  Christianity (and a great many other philosophies) make the presumtion that humans are the pinnacle of existence, or that the earth is somehow here for our benefit.  The truth is, we're just hairless apes, and we're not really all that well adapted compared to many other species.  Rest assured, if the scientists are right and global warming is a serious problem, bacteria and ants will survive longer than humans.

Obviously, the evolutionary trick that has allowed us to flourish moreso than the other primates is our brain.  We're smart enough to manipulate our environment in ways that no other animal can, and it has allowed our population to explode, and for us to populate every continent in the world -- something even the ants haven't managed.  Without our brains, we're pretty damn fragile.

Complexity isn't necessarily a good thing.  It's the result of an evolutionary arms race.  Consider a single celled organism that has learned to absorb another type of single celled organism for food.  The predator just goes around absorbing prey, and soon, the prey is in danger of extinction, except that by chance, a small part of the population has developed a kind of hard cell wall, which makes it difficult to absorb.  The balance swings back for a while until the predator randomly develops the ability to produce a chemical which breaks down the cell wall.  The cell wall is still there, but it's no longer useful for defense.  Perhaps the next advance will be a bigger, better cell wall, or perhaps the cell wall will move inward into the interior of the cell, and the cell will grow to a size that makes it difficult to absorb.  In retaliation, the predator might learn how to gang up on the prey with two or more cells working in concert.

I'm just making all this up off the top of my head, but that's how evolutionary arms races work.  Complexity is usually a response to competition.  Would a peacock be better off without that long ass bright colored tail?  Of course he would!  It's a big fat sign that says "HELLO PREDATORS!!!! Big fat meal right here!!!!"  The thing is, once upon a time, peahens decided for whatever reason that they liked peacocks with big bright tails.  Once the males "discovered" what the females liked, the race was on, with new generations making even bigger and brighter tails, until now they have this monstrosity that takes up huge amounts of resources, makes it difficult to escape predators, and makes them much less efficient energy consumers.

The thing is, evolution is a very good proof against an intelligent creator because evolution isn't smart.  It makes thousands more mistakes than successes, and it doesn't know when to discard something because it's too big and bulky.  Whales still have remnants of their legs, and they haven't needed them for millions of years.

So, yeah, humans are really bad for the environment, they're terrible at a lot of survival tasks, and they're so freaking complicated that there are thousands of parasites and diseases that can kill them.  More bells and whistles means more things to break.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

deludedgod
Rational VIP!ScientistDeluded God
deludedgod's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:'m just making all

Quote:

Consider a single celled organism that has learned to absorb another type of single celled organism for food.

Slight nitpick before moving onto the real error. Take out the word "learn"

Quote:

Would a peacock be better off without that long ass bright colored tail?  Of course he would!  It's a big fat sign that says "HELLO PREDATORS!!!! Big fat meal right here!!!!"  The thing is, once upon a time, peahens decided for whatever reason that they liked peacocks with big bright tails.  Once the males "discovered" what the females liked, the race was on, with new generations making even bigger and brighter tails, until now they have this monstrosity that takes up huge amounts of resources, makes it difficult to escape predators, and makes them much less efficient energy consumers.

Eh...this is not how sexual selection works. Cast your mind back to basic evo. 101. There are four major processes in evolution. Mutation, gene flow, genetic drift and natural selection. By definition, natural selection is a process operating on the mutations which produce variations. Because natural selection operates on phenotypic variation, there are four central natural selection processes: Stabilizing processes, distruptive processes, directional processes and sexual processes. This should not be confused with the fact that there are technically three types of selection: Sexual, artificial and natural selection. Sexual selection is distinct from natural selection. Bear this in mind for what follows. Now, the problem with what you've written above is that you've made it sound as if sexual selection is arbitrary and based on the organisms in question "deciding" that they like certain sexually selective traits. This is very wrong. It is reminiscint of creationists asking how giraffes can "decide" they want to reach taller trees when the example of giraffe neck length is provided as an example of natural selection. In many sexual selection processes, the selectors (female) tend to prefer males with particular exaggerated morphology such as, well, the peacock's feathers. However, this is not arbitrary. Although the underlying principles behind sexual selection are not fully understood, theyre are two key hypotheses for why there would be sexual selection for morphologies that would probably be naturally selected against (remember, natural and sexual selection are not the same). The first states that such morphologies are indicative of resistance to disease, so the selector would tend to select a mate with these morphologies. As a consequence, a tug of war develops between the naturally selective processes which make a peacock an easy target for predators, and the sexually selective processes that make it more likely that the offspring of the peacock will survive. This is quite a common interpretation. The second major interpretation was proposed by the Israeli biologist Zahavi. Dawkins discussed it for a short while in TGD. Zahavi's handicap principle is that the ability of a male to survive despite the exaggerated morphology making it more likely the trait will be selected against is indicative of the fitness of the individual. In other words, for the individual to have survived despite the handicap indicates to the selector that he is a fit individual and therefore their offspring will have a greater chance of reproductive success. Any principle which attempts to explain why sexually selected exaggerated morphologies survive must account for the tug of war that will result between the naturally selective and sexually selective processes.

"Physical reality” isn’t some arbitrary demarcation. It is defined in terms of what we can systematically investigate, directly or not, by means of our senses. It is preposterous to assert that the process of systematic scientific reasoning arbitrarily excludes “non-physical explanations” because the very notion of “non-physical explanation” is contradictory.

-Me

Books about atheism

Dracos
User is offlineOffline
evolution

You may hear some smartass christian ask. "If humans evolved from apes,  then why are there still apes?  They are assuming that evolution is a god, with a goal.

Nope.  Evoulution is a process.  Doesn't care, doesn't know.

deludedgod
deludedgod's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:You may hear some

Quote:

You may hear some smartass christian ask. "If humans evolved from apes,  then why are there still apes?

Wrong word. A smartass is someone who shows off their cleverness by asking a clever question.

The correct word here is "idiot".

"Physical reality” isn’t some arbitrary demarcation. It is defined in terms of what we can systematically investigate, directly or not, by means of our senses. It is preposterous to assert that the process of systematic scientific reasoning arbitrarily excludes “non-physical explanations” because the very notion of “non-physical explanation” is contradictory.

-Me

Books about atheism

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 DG, I use the language of

DG, I use the language of intent metaphorically.  Admittedly, I didn't specify that, and I should have.  I'm familiar with both hypotheses.  I was just trying to illustrate the idea with very broad strokes.  I suppose "for whatever reason" makes it sound as if there are no hypotheses, and I should have at least mentioned that there are good guesses.

For what it's worth, I am much more familiar with the arguments for disease resistance than the handicap hypothesis.  Intuitively, the disease angle makes more sense to me.  Zahavi's hypothesis seems to skip a step somewhere.  It's fine that the effect of handicapping would be a positive in terms of picking the most vigorous males, but it seems that disease resistance has the added benefit of being a bonus to both the male and the female, while handicapping is not.

How does Zahavi propose that a female initially prefers a male with an obvious handicap that provides no useful benefit?  I understand that once the process gets going, it's hard to stop, but I have a hard time grasping the beginning.  Disease resistance is a lot more linear.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

Books about atheism

deludedgod
deludedgod's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:How does Zahavi

Quote:

How does Zahavi propose that a female initially prefers a male with an obvious handicap that provides no useful benefit?  I understand that once the process gets going, it's hard to stop, but I have a hard time grasping the beginning.  Disease resistance is a lot more linear.

I don't know. This is not my area of expertise (as you can imagine, this thread The Third Revolution is the one where I can discuss principles with the understanding of a specialist), but I subscribe to the other interpretation anyway.

-Me

Books about atheism

Ivon
atheist
Ivon's picture
User is offlineOffline
In my opinion, the most

In my opinion, the most "highly evolved" simply means that a species has the highest number of adaptations compared to the others. In that regards, it would be a misnomer to say that the most highly evolved is greater or worse than less evolved animals. If a chicken were the result of 1,000 changes to what it is today, and a human is the result of 500 evolutionary changes, then wouldn't the chicken be more “highly evolved?”

On another note, would perfection be obtained once a species reaches a level of adaptation where it no longer needs to change? I think it's the shark and the crocodile that have remained virtually unchanged for millions of years. Have these species reached a state of perfection or is it simply a perfect state of eating and breeding with no new hardships to spur a new adaptation?

I personally think that our superiority complex is one of our biggest downfalls.

Free your mind.

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Quote:In my opinion, the

Quote:
In my opinion, the most "highly evolved" simply means that a species has the highest number of adaptations compared to the others.

I wouldn't trot that definition out at dinner parties.  It's not what the average non-scientist thinks it means, and it's certainly not what the average scientist thinks either.  I think you'll just get blank stares from most people.

The total number of adaptations in a genome doesn't really have much to do with anything, at least not in this context.  Sure, it takes a lot of adaptations to get from a single cell to an elephant, but something that's still a single cell hasn't been evolutionarily stagnant.  Bacteria mutate all the time, and they have very short generations.  Many of the adaptations that propagate in the population are the result of adaptations in hosts.  That is, the bacteria infect the monkey, the monkey develops immunity, the bacteria adapts.  The thing is, it's not a linear progression "forward" or upward.  Supposing that a parasite  uses enzyme X to invade a host, and the host adapts such that X is no longer effective.  If the parasite develops enzyme Y that is effective, parasites producing X will either disappear or will be reduced to a small percentage of the population.  The host, after reproducing for enough generations, may lose the ability to protect against X.  (After all, X isn't around anymore, so that part of the gene will be gradually filtered out.)  When this happens, the parasite may very well "rediscover" the ability to produce X, and the host will have to "rediscover" the same or another way to defend against it.  (With props to DG, discover is definitely a metaphor.)  Evolution can definitely go in circles.

In other words, it's possible for thousands or even hundreds of thousands of adaptations to occur while little actual "forward progress" occurs in terms of complexity.  Think about it.  We still have bacteria, which are quite simple compared to elephants, and yet they've been around much longer.  Evolution most definitely does not have to move towards ever increasing complexity.

Quote:
 On another note, would perfection be obtained once a species reaches a level of adaptation where it no longer needs to change? I think it's the shark and the crocodile that have remained virtually unchanged for millions of years.

Well, there's no such thing as evolutionary perfection.  If you subscribe to the theory of punctuated equilibrium, you believe that there are periods of relative stasis in natural selection, but regardless of your position, there is no such thing as an end to evolution.  It is true that sharks and crocodiles have changed very little in recent geological time, and it's true that the primary reason for this is a lack of selection pressure, but regarding any point in time as an endpoint is foolhardy, unless of course that point is the total annihilation of life on earth.

(By the way, the debate between "gradualism" and "punctuated equilibrium" has been largely avoided thanks to the due diligence of a few writers who have exposed the fallacies inherent in the debate, which was largely invented by people who had no idea what they were talking about.  Daniel Dennett did a pretty good job of explaining it, but I can't remember which book it was in.  Maybe Darwin's Dangerous Idea?)

Quote:
Have these species reached a state of perfection or is it simply a perfect state of eating and breeding with no new hardships to spur a new adaptation?

Evolution is driven by pressure, but there are limits to how much pressure can be exerted.  Conservatively, ninety nine out of a hundred mutations are negative or neutral with regard to survival fitness.  In other words, most mutations will reduce an organism's reproductive success or have no effect.  Because of this, an organism can reach evolutionary dead ends of a sort.  The laws of physics prevent giraffes with 90 foot necks or cheetahs that can run three hundred miles per hour.  Furthermore, evolution can't backtrack.  In other words, human eyes are what they are.  If you gave an engineer the task of designing a better eye for humans, he could probably do it.  We have blind spots and poor night vision that could be corrected with better engineering.  The thing is, the eye is so complex that it's impossible for humans to regress to the point of starting a new eye from scratch.  So, we are stuck with myopia and cataracts, even though technically, we could have done better had we taken a different evolutionary track.  The evolution of the human eye is such that there is a real limit to how good our vision could get.  

It's not to say there isn't room for improvement.  There probably is, but as complexity is added, the odds of getting a significant improvement go down.  Consider a simple organism that has the faintest degree of light detection and tends to move towards light sources.  The light detection is very simple.  It's just one chemical in one cell (the precursor of a rod, perhaps) that reacts when exposed to light.  There are lots of ways we can improve on that, and each improvement would be highly significant.  If we allow for a single mutation that says, in effect, "make two light sensitive cells instead of one" we have effectively doubled the effectiveness of the rudimentary "eye."   This is a huge improvement.  The human eye, by contrast, has around 120 million rods and 6 to 7 million cones, which go with a very complex set of other optical mechanisms, like the lens, the iris, the cornea, etc, all of which work together to facilitate our vision, which is very complex in its own right.  (Note that you think you see a coherent full picture, but what you really see is an approximated conglomerate filled in "guesses," recent memory, motion detection, etc.)  If we add a few rods or cones, we're not really doing much.  In other words, the more complex the organ, the more specific a mutation has to be to cause a benefit significant enough to cause evolutionary selection pressure.

I say all of that to say that sharks aren't perfect.  They are, however, probably pretty damn close to the limits imposed by their own evolution and their environment at this time.  Could you build a better shark from scratch?  Probably.  Would a change in their environment produce selection pressure?  Yep.  And that would mean there was a new direction for evolution to take.

Quote:
I personally think that our superiority complex is one of our biggest downfalls.

I agree.

Books about atheism

deludedgod
deludedgod's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:In my opinion, the

Quote:

In my opinion, the most "highly evolved" simply means that a species has the highest number of adaptations compared to the others.

Que? This doesn't really mean anything.

-Me

Books about atheism

spike.barnett
Superfan
spike.barnett's picture
User is offlineOffline
nigelTheBold wrote:We are

nigelTheBold wrote:
We are more specialized in problem-solving skills, but really, that's no more highly-evolved or special than a cheetah's excellent running skills, or a Liger's skills in magic, or a giraffe's long neck.

I almost can't believe that nobody responded to this. This is damn funny.

After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him.

The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.
MySpace

A_Nony_Mouse
atheist
A_Nony_Mouse's picture
User is offlineOffline
marshalltenbears wrote:I was

marshalltenbears wrote:

I was pondering some things about evolution. If we are going by evolution to say that we are the most highly intelligent, highly evolved species on the planet, does it make sense to think that maybe we are not. What I mean is this. Us humans are self destructive by nature. We require alot more to live than most other species. Would it be right to say that something as simple as a cockroach is better evolved. They can survive without their freaking head.(I don't know if that is true or not) I don't know how to phrase my question correctly to make it sensable. I just think about how complicated humans are, then I look at a roach and think, am I really better evolved? I hope you can understand what I am saying. Please respond.

Evolution does not have a concept of MOST highly evolved. There is a concept of greater complexity but greater size is not greater complexity. Most intelligent is a reasonable measure IF it means adaptation to different climates and foods without having to physically evolve an adaptation to them. In the last two centuries it has also meant we do not have to wait to evolve natural defenses for fatal diseases. In that last century it has meant we can even out world food production to avoid local famines.

So you can look at intelligence as short cutting the evolutionary method of adaptation and increase in population.

If you really like the cockroach example you might as well add in rats. Like dogs they increase along with the human population. Both exist in the wild but no where near the population density because they do not have natural enemies in our homes except for the Orkin man. Dogs increase because we feed them. Dogs appear to have evolved to live on our food more omnivorous. Cockroaches and rats were omnivores from the beginning and happen to be able to survive as we do.

The thread in all of this is adaptation. Not more evolved but better adapted. Intelligence allows us to adapt without physical evolution.

[Cats showed up because we started farming and storing grain. Rats eat grain. Cats eat rats. Cats domesticate easily and don't get big enough to become dangerous if they do not.]

[A Russian experiment with foxes shows 12 generations of selection for docility is enough to domesticate them.]

Anyway, you are thinking about it wrong. We are the most adaptable species because of our intelligence. It replaces the need for physical evolution. So in about 100,000 years which is also about 7000 generations we have gone from equatorial Africa to the entire world. We have gone from maybe a max of 5 million to over 6 billion in the last 10,000.

One could say, it is all in the mind.

Jews stole the land. The owners want it back. That is all anyone needs to know about Israel. That is all there is to know about Israel.

www.ussliberty.org

www.giwersworld.org/made-in-alexandria/index.html

www.giwersworld.org/00_files/zion-hit-points.phtml

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Zahavi's handicap

Quote:
Zahavi's handicap principle is that the ability of a male to survive despite the exaggerated morphology making it more likely the trait will be selected against is indicative of the fitness of the individual. In other words, for the individual to have survived despite the handicap indicates to the selector that he is a fit individual and therefore their offspring will have a greater chance of reproductive success.

This sounds extremely reminiscent of Douglas Adams's extrapolations of why a common hand towel is among the most useful items one can have on their person while venturing into space. As a result I think I'm rather fond of it.

...Oh, sorry. You were discussing real science.

Carry-on.

Sticking out tongue

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

- Leon Trotsky, Last Will & Testament
February 27, 1940

peppermint
Superfan
peppermint's picture
User is offlineOffline
We are NOT superior. We're

We are NOT superior. We're different, but that could be because of the limited and biased way that we see and have learned to see the world.

One thing that always fascinated me is that our "greatest ability" is often our greatest shortcoming. For example, our capacity for complex reasoning has led to not only fabulous inventions but also extremely calculated acts of mass cruelty. Our complicated brain activity has led to many terrible mental illnesses unseen in other species.

*Our world is far more complex than the rigid structure we want to assign to it, and we will probably never fully understand it.*

"Those believers who are sophisticated enough to understand the paradox have found exciting ways to bend logic into pretzel shapes in order to defend the indefensible." - Hamby

peppermint
Superfan
peppermint's picture
User is offlineOffline
Watcher wrote:Also, a lot of

Watcher wrote:

Also, a lot of studies suggest that Dolphins may be more intelligent than humans, the neurons in their brains are much more densely packed than our own.  Dolphins have names for one another and it has even been observed two dolphins talking about a third that is not present at the time.  Who knows how intelligent they really are?

I've always thought that dolphins very well might be more intelligent. They too have language, something we often pride ourselves on.

Do they commit homicide? Do they torture one another? I'm not sure, but they seem to be doing very well and are capable of higher reasoning. I'd be interested to see more studies on their intelligence.

*Our world is far more complex than the rigid structure we want to assign to it, and we will probably never fully understand it.*

"Those believers who are sophisticated enough to understand the paradox have found exciting ways to bend logic into pretzel shapes in order to defend the indefensible." - Hamby

The Doomed Soul
atheist
The Doomed Soul's picture
User is offlineOffline
peppermint wrote:Do they

peppermint wrote:

Do they commit homicide? Do they torture one another? I'm not sure, but they seem to be doing very well and are capable of higher reasoning.

homicide/murder, yes i believe i remeber hearing something to that effect... but torture? the only thing that comes to mind is a pack of dolphins not willing to expend the energy required to fully kill off a shark / other dolphin, so they leave it, utterly broken , but alive >.> close enough?

What Would Kharn Do?

deludedgod
deludedgod's picture
User is offlineOffline
Here's something which may

Here's something which may lead the discussion in an interesting direction. I can't believe I didn't post this until now.

Although there is no eschatology to the evolutionary process, there is a fundamental limit on the biological complexity that the process can generate. That complexity limit is directly related to the random mutation rate. The concept of the molecular clock is based on the principle that all nucleotide sequences are subject to more or less the same probability of random mutation, and number of nucleotide substitutions in orthologous diverging sequences versus the time when the two populations diverged from their common ancestor therefore reflects the degree to which that sequence is conserved. In other words, its sensitivity to mutation in terms of how crucial it is for the survival of the organism (the steeper the slope, the more conserved the sequence is. A highly conserved sequence is therefore one which is highly resistant to point mutations because organisms incurring them tend to be eliminated by natural selection because that sequence is crucial to their survival. It is important to stress that these random point mutations are not the major driving force between descent genes in evolutionary processes, innovation of which is driven primarily by homologous duplication, recombination, and the shuffling of modular genetic sequences. Nonetheless, the study of conserved sequences indicates that low point mutation rates are crucial for survival of biological life. The process of evolution is a balance between adaptation and the preservation of genomic integrity. If the mutation rate is too fast, the organisms in question are rapidly destroyed. Too slow, and the population of organisms cannot adapt by natural selection and die out. The mutation rate of the germ line must be low to preserve the genomic integrity of the offpsring, and that of the somatic line must be low to preserve the functioning of the organism itself. The crucial point is that this balance is thought to put a limit on the number of coding sequence it is possible to maintain before the existence of so many highly conserved sequences makes the organism fall outside the fine balance of mutation rates. This limit is thought to exist at about 60,000 proteins (the human genome contains 30,000). A mutation rate four times as fast would mean that the evolutionary process would have halted in complexity at something like a mouse. 10 times as fast and it would have stopped at the fruit fly. Twice as fast and it would have stopped with us.

-Me

Books about atheism

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
peppermint wrote:Watcher

peppermint wrote:

Watcher wrote:

I've always thought that dolphins very well might be more intelligent. They too have language, something we often pride ourselves on.

Get this - nobody knows if they're more intelligent, but we seem to be able to tell that they're happier. Yeah, happier. Imagine the poor bastard doing that study:

"Hey, Bob, it turns out dolphins aren't as smart as we thought."

"Oh. Well I guess that makes sense. I mean, they weren't solving math problems or whatever."

"Yeah, but get this, they're happier."

"Happier?"

"Much happier, according to their dopamine balance. Also, the way they jump around and play, and they're constantly having fun ... y'know what, Bob? I fucking hate dolphins."

"Yeah, they're bastards. They've been rubbing it in our faces this whole time."

"Asshole dophins."

(From inside the tank) "Squeek squeek pop squeek pop" (Trans: "You can keep your opposable thumbs, dipshits! I practically come when I eat fish! Sad wankers!" )

Saint Will: no gyration without funkstification.
fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Quote:The crucial point is

Quote:
The crucial point is that this balance is thought to put a limit on the number of coding sequence it is possible to maintain before the existence of so many highly conserved sequences makes the organism fall outside the fine balance of mutation rates. This limit is thought to exist at about 60,000 proteins (the human genome contains 30,000). A mutation rate twice as fast would mean that the evolutionary process would have halted in complexity at something like a mouse. 10 times as fast and it would have stopped at the fruit fly.

Oooooh... That's a more precise way of saying what I was getting at earlier, that increasing complexity limits the available number of beneficial mutations.

Books about atheism

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Peppermint wrote:Do they

Peppermint wrote:
Do they {dolphins} commit homicide? Do they torture one another? I'm not sure, but they seem to be doing very well and are capable of higher reasoning. I'd be interested to see more studies on their intelligence.

They are quite fond of gang rape, for what it's worth.

Books about atheism

RickRebel
RickRebel's picture
User is offlineOffline
Watcher wrote:Well to be

Watcher wrote:
Well to be truthful, a chicken is just as highly evolved as us humans.  We just evolved differently.  The idea that humans have reached some pinacle of evolution is simply egoism and is patently false.

Ummm.....can a chicken get a squirrel to water ski? I didn't think so.  Until a chicken can get a squirrel to water ski then we humans will remain the supreme rulers of the universe. Case closed.

Rick

Frosty's coming back someday. Will you be ready?

Ivon
atheist
Ivon's picture
User is offlineOffline
RickRebel wrote:Ummm.....can

RickRebel wrote:

Ummm.....can a chicken get a squirrel to water ski? I didn't think so.  Until a chicken can get a squirrel to water ski then we humans will remain the supreme rulers of the universe. Case closed.

Rick

But a chicken, like every other bird, has a mouth that is equivilant to a pair of pliers stuck to it's face. Until we humans can stick a pair of pliers to our faces and then use those pliers to crack nuts and then separate the shell from the nut... how can we call ourselves supreme?

Free your mind.

RickRebel
RickRebel's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ivon wrote:But a chicken,

Ivon wrote:
But a chicken, like every other bird, has a mouth that is equivilant to a pair of pliers stuck to it's face. Until we humans can stick a pair of pliers to our faces and then use those pliers to crack nuts and then separate the shell from the nut... how can we call ourselves supreme?

Oh come on. Even a human can bust a nut with his pecker.

Rick

Frosty's coming back someday. Will you be ready?

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
RickRebel wrote:Ivon

RickRebel wrote:

Ivon wrote:

Rick

ROTF

Unfortunately for your argument, the female population outnumbers the male population in the human species. And the female population does not have a pecker. Therefore the chicken is greater, as both sexes have a beak.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

The Doomed Soul
atheist
The Doomed Soul's picture
User is offlineOffline
RickRebel wrote:Ivon

RickRebel wrote:

Ivon wrote:

Rick

oh god damn that was just to perfect >.<

What Would Kharn Do?

A_Nony_Mouse
atheist
A_Nony_Mouse's picture
User is offlineOffline
peppermint wrote:Watcher

peppermint wrote:
Watcher wrote:

Do they commit homicide? Do they torture one another? I'm not sure, but they seem to be doing very well and are capable of higher reasoning. I'd be interested to see more studies on their intelligence.

Every so often female chimps get together and kill off young chimps.

But as to dolphin if they are so damned smart how come they don't stay away from fishing nets?

The absence of homicide is not a marker. We evolved in a dangerous world. Our social groups have always found themselves fighting other social groups for the same reasons packs of other animals confront if not fight each other. Territory is marked for the resources they contain. Groups are always intruding upon each other's territory.

The groups fight. The group that wins the fight survives to pass on its fighting genes. The group that controls the greater resources survives to pass on its genes.

Our killing spirit comes with being human. We try to keep it under control for a peaceful social life in our non-family based towns and cities and countries. We are way ahead of most of our ancestors in keeping it under control. In ancient Greece there were always a few city-states at war. Today Greece has decades of peace between wars. There are always wars in our world but they are between small countries. Even if proxy wars the total body count is lower than if the primary countries were having at each other. The US/USSR proxy war in SE Asia may have killing off a few million people. If they had gone at war directly it would have been tens of millions.

I know our wars have some big numbers in comparison to past wars but you have to look at them in terms of percentage of the population. By the time the world wars came around the population of the world was some ten times what it had been only two centuries earlier. No matter how bad Dresden had it refused to surrender to Rome there would have been no survivors.

Jews stole the land. The owners want it back. That is all anyone needs to know about Israel. That is all there is to know about Israel.

www.ussliberty.org

www.giwersworld.org/made-in-alexandria/index.html

www.giwersworld.org/00_files/zion-hit-points.phtml