Of descendency and virgins

Psychosavant
Psychosavant's picture
User is offlineOffline
Of descendency and virgins

Quote:
Matthew 1:1

1A record of the genealogy of Jesus Christ the son of David, the son of Abraham:

Matthew 1:25

25But he had no union with her until she gave birth to a son. And he gave him the name Jesus.

Luke 1:26-27

26In the sixth month, God sent the angel Gabriel to Nazareth, a town in Galilee, 27to a virgin pledged to be married to a man named Joseph, a descendant of David. The virgin's name was Mary.

Luke 1:34-36

34"How will this be," Mary asked the angel, "since I am a virgin?"

35The angel answered, "The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Most High will overshadow you. So the holy one to be born will be called the Son of God. 36Even Elizabeth your relative is going to have a child in her old age, and she who was said to be barren is in her sixth month.

So how can Jesus Christ be a son of David, or the son of Abraham, if he was born of a virgin? O_o

Tapey
atheist
Tapey's picture
User is offlineOffline
 More importantly why

More importantly why wasn't Mary stoned to death when she and joesph  did have sex (I assume they did a some point) I doubt she would of shown signs of her virginity that night after having a miricale child.

Whatever goes upon two legs is an enemy.
Whatever goes upon four legs, or has wings, is a friend.
No animal shall wear clothes.
No animal shall sleep in a bed.
No animal shall drink alcohol.
No animal shall kill any other animal.
All animals are equal.

Christos
Theist
Christos's picture
User is offlineOffline
Tapey wrote: More

Tapey wrote:

More importantly why wasn't Mary stoned to death when she and joesph  did have sex (I assume they did a some point) I doubt she would of shown signs of her virginity that night after having a miricale child.

Actually, Catholics and Orthodox Christians hold to the doctrine of the perpetual virginity of Mary. They believe that mary and Jospeh never had sex. I definitely don't believe that. But it's very interesting how Catholics try to reconcile that fact that the Gospels, Paul's letters and Josephus reference James, the biological brother of Jesus.

"A man can no more diminish God's glory by refusing to worship Him than a lunatic can put out the sun by scribbling the word, 'darkness' on the walls of his cell." (CS Lewis)

"A young man who wishes to remain a sound atheist cannot be too careful of his reading." (CS Lewis)

Psychosavant
Psychosavant's picture
User is offlineOffline
The statement I've made is

The statement I've made is relevant to Biblical errancy. If you do not believe in the Bible I could understand your position, however that's not what this particular forum section is about. However, if you do, I'm interested in an explanation as to how you would interpret the quotations I provided where the Bible specifically states that Mary was in fact a virgin.

RespectfulButBe...
User is offlineOffline
Psychosavant wrote: So how

Psychosavant wrote:
So how can Jesus Christ be a son of David, or the son of Abraham, if he was born of a virgin? O_o
He was, in essence, adopted by Joseph.  The concept of adoption occurs several times in the Bible.  Indeed, Salvation itself is an act whereby Jesus adopts us as His children, as seen in Epehsians 1:4:

Having predestinated us unto the adoption of children by Jesus Christ to himself, according to the good pleasure of his will...

Tapey wrote:
More importantly why wasn't Mary stoned to death when she and joesph did have sex (I assume they did a some point) I doubt she would of shown signs of her virginity that night after having a miricale child.
Excellent question.  God did not penetrate Mary when Jesus was conceived; Jesus was conceived by the power of God, so she remained a virgin until after the birth of Jesus:

Then said Mary unto the angel, How shall this be, seeing I know not a man?And the angel answered and said unto her, The Holy Ghost shall come upon thee, and the power of the Highest shall overshadow thee: therefore also that holy thing which shall be born of thee shall be called the Son of God. Luke 1:34-35

It does not apply here, because Mary was no doubt a virgin when she gave birth to the Christ, but Deuteronomy 22:13-21 does not require a husband to demand the stoning of a wife who is not a virgin, it just gives him the option.  Moreover, in John 8:11, Jesus refused to have a woman accused of adultery stoned, merely sending her on her way to "sin no more."  In 1 Corinthians 11:1, the Apostle Paul instructs us Be ye followers of me, even as I also am of Christ.  If Christ chose not to stone an adulteress, I think I'll follow his model and not stone permarital fornicators. 

Christos wrote:
Actually, Catholics and Orthodox Christians hold to the doctrine of the perpetual virginity of Mary. They believe that mary and Jospeh never had sex. I definitely don't believe that. But it's very interesting how Catholics try to reconcile that fact that the Gospels, Paul's letters and Josephus reference James, the biological brother of Jesus.
That one is a puzzle to me, too.  I'll let Catholics and Protestants speak for themselves, but there is in my mind no doubt that Mary had sex with Joseph after Christ was born.

Once an athiest, now a believer, and always ready to debate issues respectfully.