2 personal issues that are troubling me

Adroit
atheist
Adroit's picture
User is offlineOffline
2 personal issues that are troubling me

I made sure to say that this is personal... It's not a deep thought, and its not really contributing to the forum. I don't have a question, i just have 2 things that I want to know if anyone can relate, or if they have opinions/information/advice...

Thing #1

I feel a large amount of pressure to always appear happy, and to never appear confused. Any time I stop being upbeat or I show confusion about life in general, then I feel like I'm giving any theist evidence that they are right. My parents especially.

I feel like theists assume people who are upbeat and happy are christians, this is a false assumption so I want to be able to prove it wrong 100% of the time instead of when I'm naturally happy.

Also theists assume people who are confused or not happy are lacking the spirit of God or something... If i show myself as unhappy when I'm unhappy I just feel like i'm reinforcing this ignorance.

Thing #2

I used to have like a "personal relationship with jesus christ" lol so basically I had an imaginary friend.

I think a side-effect of this is that after I deconverted I've been talking to myself out loud...

I answer myself, and its almost like I have 2 personalities in these conversations... One is really pessimistic and the other is just normal me.

know who I am and i'm not confused about that, I really think it is a side-effect of the whole christian thing though... because I had this idea of who God is. I was so certain that I used to pretty much answer my own questions that I would ask out-loud... Not like I was God, but that I was speaking for him.

It really bugs me and i don't know where else it came from, I cuss a lot while talking to myself and every now and then people catch me and it makes me feel like a crazy person.

Anyway if anyone can relate, or just if you have something to say please do.

Psychosavant
Psychosavant's picture
User is offlineOffline
Thing 1:To quote the movie

Thing 1:

To quote the movie The Last Dragon:

"Good! Confusion is a part of life!"

Anyways, I don't feel as though I should be obligated to prove how I feel to theists. I watched a YouTube video once that was entitled "Proof of God is in the Pudding". The person in this video simply asked the question that when we watch theists and atheists, who do we think is happier?

This is of course a non-sequitur. An individual's mood or personality has nothing to do with whether or not what they believe is true. I'd sooner make that argument to theists rather than try to change who I am. Then again, I have to admit, I'm a naturally happy guy anyways, so I don't really have this problem.

Thing 2:

Ack. I grew up a very devout follower of Christ. But I talked to myself then as much as I do now. I don't pretend to know why I do, but I'm not afraid to admit it. I don't find it embarrasing... much... really. Well, no seriously....

I'm wierd

Ok ok. But while you and I are obviously two different people I can't tell you why you've begun this habit. However, I can say that there's nothing wrong with it. It's never hurt me. In fact, hearing my voice has often given me the confidence I need to make the very statements later. Given me a sense of imagination and preparation. It also serves to increase the tangibility of ideas. Nothing wrong with that. Don't try to give up the habit. There's nothing wrong with it.

Ivon
atheist
Ivon's picture
User is offlineOffline
1) Emotions are human,

1) Emotions are human, anyone who appears happy all the time is merely a good actor.

2) Talking to yourself is a sign of genius, embrace it.

Free your mind.

Renee Obsidianwords
High Level DonorModeratorRRS local affiliate
Renee Obsidianwords's picture
User is offlineOffline
Thing #1Don't ever act happy

Thing #1

Don't ever act happy when you aren't...not for anyone. It isn't healthy and you would be lying to yourself - To quote a bit of Shakespeare "To thine own self be true..."  Eye-wink

Anyhow, if anyone says "OH poor adroit, you seem sad! You need some JESUS in your life"  Simply smash your heel onto their toe and as the pain creates some tears in their eyes say "OH you poor dear, you seem sad! Where is JESUS in your time of need?"   {i don't condone violence, this is purely for fun}

Thing #2

I don't talk to myself often. I do say outloud things that I need to get done  like "okay, i have to do the laundry, go to the grocery store, I can't forget to send the water bill..." You know, come to think of it I normally then look down at my dog and ask him what he thinks of my list...I talk to my dog, not myself. (I may be the strange one here Eye-wink  )

I have known quite a few people that talk to themselves it is from what I have observed normal. You will be fine! Hey, why don't you start writing down everything you talk to yourself about! That would be fun to look back at weeks, months or years from now!

Slowly building a blog at ~

http://obsidianwords.wordpress.com/

Adroit
atheist
Adroit's picture
User is offlineOffline
"Anyhow, if anyone says "OH

"Anyhow, if anyone says "OH poor adroit, you seem sad! You need some JESUS in your life"  Simply smash your heel onto their toe and as the pain creates some tears in their eyes say "OH you poor dear, you seem sad! Where is JESUS in your time of need?"   {i don't condone violence, this is purely for fun}"

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

"I have known quite a few people that talk to themselves it is from what I have observed normal. You will be fine! Hey, why don't you start writing down everything you talk to yourself about! That would be fun to look back at weeks, months or years from now!"

That would be kinda creepy lol.

anyway thanks everyone for the responses :>

Wonderist
atheist
Wonderist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Thing #1 will cause you

Thing #1 will cause you misery and mental illness (depression, anxiety, or some other). You are presenting a mask to the world, and hiding behind it. You are suppressing yourself for fear of what others might think of you.

Thing #2 is a manifestation of the same thing as thing #1. It's called 'the ego' in some circles (not to be confused with Freud's concept of the ego). Another name for it is the false self.

Essentially, you are creating a concept in your mind of 'who I am', 'who I should be', 'how I want to present myself', etc. And then you are identifying with that idea. You try to conform to that idea, and it ends up ruling your life (if you let it). I lived this way for many years, and only recently broke out of it. I'm still recovering from it.

So, my advice would be to stop feeding this ego (false self) and stop identifying with it. It is not you, you are not it. You are not the ideas you have about yourself. You are the conscious mind that has the ideas.

Do not conform to what you think others should see of you, or what they expect. Do not live behind a mask, a shell, a wall, or whatever metaphor you want to use. It is very difficult at first, but you must try to drop that mask.

The 'other voice' you have is a manifestation of this false self. It's the self-critical program you've constructed (probably with the help of your parents, siblings, teachers, and peers) that plays back its critical messages over and over again, trying to get you to conform to its expectations and judgments. The way to stop it is not to stop listening to it, but to stop *identifying* with it. It is not you, you are not it. You are the conscious mind that produces and observes it. Watch it from the outside. When you find yourself speaking in that negative, critical voice, take a moment to mentally step back from the voice and observe it. What did it just say? Does it even make any sense? Is it something someone from your past might say (parents, teachers, preachers)? Do you really *need* that voice making those comments? Probably not. And when you do, probably not in such a negative way.

For example (and I don't know you, so I'm going to use an example of my own), if you find yourself saying, "How can you be so stupid?" or "That guy's such a jerk, he must really have it out for me," or whatever, do you really need to be so negative to yourself? Maybe the guy really is a jerk, and maybe it's not worth associating with him, but do you have to make the assumption that it's personal, some sort of eternal grudge?

So, to boil it down to some platitudes, I'd say just let go of your ego/false-self. When it pops up, observe it, take a deep breath, and let it go. Don't hold on to it, as it will hold on to you, and cause you lots of suffering in the long term. Easier said than done, and it takes practice, but that's how I've found to manage it.

Wonderist on Facebook — Support the idea of wonderism by 'liking' the Wonderism page — or join the open Wonderism group to take part in the discussion!

Gnu Atheism Facebook group — All gnu-friendly RRS members welcome (including Luminon!) — Try something gnu!

shelley
ModeratorRRS local affiliate
shelley's picture
User is offlineOffline
I often pretend that I'm

I often pretend that I'm happy when I'm not.  It has nothing to do with theists though... I find that smiling and pretending that nothing is wrong is the least dramatic way to make it through public appearances.  Case in point - we had a large group party last year and early on someone pushed my chair a little to hard and down I went.  It hurt like hell but whatever, just smile and go on with the night. Smiling

So, I find it interesting that so many people think that pretending everything is okay creates anexity.  I think it minimizes it.

Wonderist
atheist
Wonderist's picture
User is offlineOffline
shelleymtjoy wrote:I often

shelleymtjoy wrote:

I often pretend that I'm happy when I'm not.  It has nothing to do with theists though... I find that smiling and pretending that nothing is wrong is the least dramatic way to make it through public appearances.  Case in point - we had a large group party last year and early on someone pushed my chair a little to hard and down I went.  It hurt like hell but whatever, just smile and go on with the night. Smiling

So, I find it interesting that so many people think that pretending everything is okay creates anexity.  I think it minimizes it.

If you're just putting on a happy face to curtail some drama, that's normal peace-making. But if you're living your life hiding behind a mask of happiness, as the original poster talked about, then you're going to end up making yourself suffer. It's a question of whether a behaviour is compulsive and pathological, or whether it's just a matter of balancing a random social situation. The OP, who spoke of feeling intense pressure to appear happy when he's not, is clearly in the compulsive/pathological category.

Wonderist on Facebook — Support the idea of wonderism by 'liking' the Wonderism page — or join the open Wonderism group to take part in the discussion!

Gnu Atheism Facebook group — All gnu-friendly RRS members welcome (including Luminon!) — Try something gnu!

geirj
geirj's picture
User is offlineOffline
Adroit wrote:I made sure to

Adroit wrote:

I made sure to say that this is personal... It's not a deep thought, and its not really contributing to the forum. I don't have a question, i just have 2 things that I want to know if anyone can relate, or if they have opinions/information/advice...

Thing #1

I feel a large amount of pressure to always appear happy, and to never appear confused.

Thing #2

I think a side-effect of this is that after I deconverted I've been talking to myself out loud...

What is the source of the pressure on thing #1? Self-imposed?

I've always been an atheist and I talk to myself. It's a great tool for working through problems, actually. Your brain is faster than your mouth, and sometimes you have to just slow down in order to figure something out.

Nobody I know was brainwashed into being an atheist.

Why Believe?

Adroit
atheist
Adroit's picture
User is offlineOffline
natural wrote:Essentially,

natural wrote:

Essentially, you are creating a concept in your mind of 'who I am', 'who I should be', 'how I want to present myself', etc. And then you are identifying with that idea. You try to conform to that idea, and it ends up ruling your life (if you let it). I lived this way for many years, and only recently broke out of it. I'm still recovering from it.

I read your post and I agree completely with it, I don't know how from my messy post you were able to say all of that unless it is somewhat common. (it must be)

It absolutely is "Who I am" and "Who I think I should be"

Anyway I agree completely, that is what it going on in my head and it makes sense now. Thanks a lot for that response.

There is one problem though, I think what my false self says is right most of the time, and I want to become "Who i think i should be"

For example: "Your fucking pathetic, she smiled at you, you wanted to talk to her, why the fuck didn't you?"
"well I didn't even know her"
"Well thats why you fucking talk to her!"
but I did want to talk to her and that should have been enough of a reason!! I agree with that "false-self"

or: "Your an idiot, what the hell were you thinking about? you didnt pay attention to any of that and you looked like a dumbass."
I should have been paying attention because I did just look like an idiot infront of the class

I even don't want to be a person who talks to myself so I end up saying
"And stop talking to yourself, you sound like a crazy person."
Wow Irony

I guess what makes this complicated is that I don't want to get rid of this false-self, I almost want to become it... I think I do want to become it. At the same time I don't want to talk to myself

But since it is just my ideas of myself and not really me then I can't just become it.

I am not a self-confident person, and I have attention deficit disorder. These things are a part of me.

Thanks, the solution isn't in thinking i should be someone different (Which is where I think this is all coming from)

The solution is probably to learn to accept and work with who I am,
I should learn to get self-confidence from myself or other people rather than thinking i need to be a naturally confident person, and I should try to stay engaged in activities rather than thinking i need to be someone who doesn't lose focus.

I think I need to use that mindset for the things i mentioned and all the other things this "false-self" has to say, and then I will be able to follow your advice... Thanks

geirj wrote:

What is the source of the pressure on thing #1? Self-imposed?

Yeah its self-imposed.... willingly

Its bullshit and i don't enjoy doing it, but i also feel somewhat of a fulfillment doing it.

I feel like im making a sacrifice to give atheism a better image.

mandescience
User is offlineOffline
I was the same way! I was so

I was so conditioned at an early age to conform to biblical principles and have a "relationship" with an unseen deity. it's the worse you can do to a kid, in my opinion. I went through that phase of, "well, all my telepathic thoughts i used to transmit to god were futile, who do i transmit my utmost requests to now?" so i had to replace it with another, and slowly detoxing myself from the wrath that religion bestows. so now, i'm just indifferent-- for i know it doesn't matter in the grand scheme anyway.  if it persists to an unhealthy degree, medication could help. 

“I don't believe in an afterlife, so I don't have to spend my whole life fearing hell, or fearing heaven even more. For whatever the tortures of hell, I think the boredom of heaven would be even worse.”

"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored."

Wonderist
atheist
Wonderist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Adroit wrote:There is one

Adroit wrote:
There is one problem though, I think what my false self says is right most of the time, and I want to become "Who i think i should be"

For example: "Your fucking pathetic, she smiled at you, you wanted to talk to her, why the fuck didn't you?"
"well I didn't even know her"
"Well thats why you fucking talk to her!"
but I did want to talk to her and that should have been enough of a reason!! I agree with that "false-self"

If you had a son, would you talk to your son that way when he made a mistake? Would you call him "fucking pathetic"? I hope you answer no. That would be abusive parenting. Now think about how you talk to yourself. You (actually, your ego) are being abusive to yourself.

You do not need to insult or denigrate yourself in order to learn from your mistakes.

Replace that negative self-talk with gentler, forgiving, and motivating self-talk.

I once heard, or read, some advice on how to think about self-talk. Imagine you're going on a walk to the store with a cute little kid, who is innocent but curious. As you're walking, the kid sees a butterfly and strays off the sidewalk. You could say, "Hey you stupid motherfucking dirtbag, get the fuck back on this sidewalk right now or I'll beat the living shit out of you!" All that would do is cause the kid to cry, hate you, cower in submission, all of the above, or possibly something worse. Or... you could say "Wow, that's a neat butterfly. We'll see it again on our way back home. Right now we're going to the store, so come on, let's go together." And you gently guide the kid toward the intended goal.

Either way, you get to the store. But one way you end up with a sad, miserable kid who hates you, and the other way you end up with a happy little kid who trusts you.

Actually, in this story, you are the little kid, and the 'ego' is 'you'. The ego is a tool. It is not really you. It thinks it is you, and it wants you to think you are it. But really, it's just the ego. The job of the ego is to defend yourself. It is always on the lookout for danger, and to correct your behaviour. It is based mainly in fear. If you begin to identify with the ego, you will end up living in a subconscious fear, known as dread.

So, think critically, learn from your mistakes. But there's no reason to do so negatively and without respect for your true self.

And, I guarantee you, you'll attract far more people when you take care of your inner self than when you beat up on yourself. So, it's a win win. You still get to the store, and when you get there, your inner true self is happy and confident, and the girl at the counter says "Hi there" with a big smile.

Quote:
or: "Your an idiot, what the hell were you thinking about? you didnt pay attention to any of that and you looked like a dumbass."
I should have been paying attention because I did just look like an idiot infront of the class

Okay, I already covered the part about being more forgiving and guiding to yourself. I want to focus on your obsession with how people see you or think about you. You need to let that go too. That's also part of the ego. What does it matter whether you happen to look foolish sometimes? Everybody does. And by the way, you're not perfect and there's nothing wrong with that!!!

If your self-worth comes from how other people see you, I have some very bad news for you: There will always be someone (even many people) who dislike you for one reason or another that you have no control over. You are surrendering your self-worth to people who are not fit to make that decision. You don't even really *know* them, and they are likely not even your *friends*! (And even friends and family are not necessarily good judges of your self-worth.)

I'll even admit that I'm not worthy to be the judge of your own self-worth. See? Only you can make that judgment. In fact, you are the one who's turning over that judgment to others. You are the only one who can take it back. You never gave up your own judgment of your self-worth in the first place! You just mistakenly decided to use your *imagined* ideas about what other people think of you to take the place of what *you* think of yourself.

And, I've got another piece of bad news: Your imagined ideas about what others think of you are probably way wrong anyway!

So, this whole business of obsessing about what other people think of you just doesn't make any sense, any way you slice it.

What it all really is is the ego coming up with more and more imagined reasons to criticize you. Just let that stuff go.

You are who you are, and there's nothing wrong with that. Nothing! In fact, this whole ego business I'm talking about... there's nothing wrong with that either. It's painful, it's annoying, it's self-defeating, but it's a natural part of you. You came with the machinery to conjure up a self-critical ego when you were born. There's no point blaming yourself for how you came to be.

So, you fear what others think of you. Okay. That's fine. So you fear it. No big deal. Fear is normal. But you don't need it, so just... let it go.

Trust me, I know this is not so easy to do what I'm suggesting. I am still plagued by fear, and still working at letting it go. I'm much much better at it, now that I've got some practice, but the initial act of acknowledging and letting go of my attachment to my ego was very difficult.

I even did a YouTube video on fear. Maybe it'll help you. Here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYsu7WIZWDw

Quote:
I even don't want to be a person who talks to myself so I end up saying
"And stop talking to yourself, you sound like a crazy person."
Wow Irony

Talking to yourself is not bad. Everyone does it. Most people do it silently in their thoughts. That's self-talk. Some people do it so subconsciously they are not even aware of it most of the time. But it's happening to most people most of the time.

Some people like to think out loud. Nothing wrong with that. Some people like to write it down. Nothing wrong with that either. In fact, writing can really help to clarify ideas, just by putting it down on paper or computer.

What's bad is when your self-talk causes you suffering, such as relentless negative self-criticism.

Quote:
I guess what makes this complicated is that I don't want to get rid of this false-self, I almost want to become it... I think I do want to become it.

It's an illusion, my friend. The ego feels good for a while. It feels powerful. It's like a drug. But then you get trapped in it and it all goes downhill from there. Life starts to become empty and you start to feel an endless need, like a hole you can never fill. I wouldn't be surprised if you've experienced this empty feeling already. For me it started when I was about 11 or 12, with signs of it at around 8. But I really bought into it around 11 or 12. It was a coping strategy for me. One day I was feeling sad and out of control, and I found a way to just shut off my emotions and let my 'shell' take over. It felt really good for a while. I was no longer ruled by that pesky sadness. Little did I realize that that 'pesky sadness' was my true self, which I had been trying to hide from everyone. I was too ashamed. I thought if anyone really knew the real me, they'd hate me. So I just locked the real me up in a box and shoved him into the basement. I didn't really let him out until about 3 or 4 years ago when my mental illness (anxiety and depression) finally made it impossible for me to work.

Quote:
At the same time I don't want to talk to myself

Don't worry so much about that. Take up reciting poetry or singing or storytelling, or something. Clearly your mind works better when you are vocalizing. Nothing wrong with that either.

Quote:
I am not a self-confident person, and I have attention deficit disorder. These things are a part of me.

Thanks, the solution isn't in thinking i should be someone different (Which is where I think this is all coming from)

The solution is probably to learn to accept and work with who I am,

That last part is right, especially the word 'accept'. It doesn't mean 'resign yourself with' or 'be complacent about', it means that you are who you are and there's nothing really wrong with that.

I just want to warn you on one last thing. It is possible to go the opposite extreme from relentless self-criticism to complacent fatalism. Both are manifestations of the ego. The latter is when you say, "Well, I'm never going to be good at anything anyway, so why bother?" Instead of trying to force yourself to improve with self-criticism, you just 'give up' and stop caring.

When you say things like "I am not a self-confident person, and I have attention deficit disorder. These things are a part of me." it reminds me a little bit of fatalism. "Well, I've got ADD, so I'll never learn anyway, so why bother?" "My problems are a part of me, so I can never fix them."

Stick with that word 'acceptance'. You are who you are, and that's okay. You can always improve in whatever ways you like, but whether you improve or not, you're still okay. You cannot change the past, and the future doesn't exist yet. The only sane thing to do is accept the present moment, which includes accepting yourself.

Yaerav
Bronze Member
User is offlineOffline
I think that one of the good

I think that one of the good things about not being bound to a religion or creed is that you can be yourself without fear of "being something wrong".

But I'll admit that I do not have to deal with people who would be shocked by my unbelief, so I may have it a lot easier then you in that respect...

PS: I do talk to myself quite a lot- sometimes I think so much so fast that it can be hard to keep track of all of the thoughts, and thinking out loud is my way of slowing them down a little. I am thinking about getting one of those bluetooth earpieces though, if only so that people may get the impression that I am in a phonecall rather then a nutcase Eye-wink

marshalltenbears
marshalltenbears's picture
User is offlineOffline
your normal, if not I'm crazy too.

I always talk to myself. I mean, I have full conversations and arguements with myself outloud. Of course only when I am alone. There is nothing unusual about it. And the feeling confused is normal too. The fact is that noone knows for sure what llies beyond this world as we know it.

Funny I'm going to bring this up here but I got it watching a Ray Comfort video. He made a good point. Imagine that we, or you as a human know exactly 1% of everything about the universe. Even that is high but just assume you know 1% of everything there is to know about everything. What about the 99% that you don't know.

It leaves alot to be confused about. That is why I do not call myself an athiest. Just because I renouced my faith does not mean I absolutly think there cannot be a god. I just no longer believe in the god that is from the bible as I have been taught all my life. I do have a hard time imagining that my conscience stops once I am medically dead.

Also alot of the christians who appear happy all the time are fake. That is something that deep down got on my nerves whenever I would go to church. They act like they are sooooooo glad to see you and all of that. But does that happiness carry on outside the church. Of course noone is going to go to church and act like a dick. Like I said in my first post, when I was a christian I felt the most miserable. I would always worry about if what I was doing was a sin. I would constantly wonder if the music I was listening to was christian of me. I would feel bad because I didn't talk to someone about god. Just constantly making myself feel bad. Now I don't believe in all of that stuff. I am much more stress free.

You are normal dude, don't sweet it.

"Take all the heads of the people
and hang them up before the Lord
against the sun.” -- Numbers 25:4

kariperry
kariperry's picture
User is offlineOffline
Thing 1.Give yourself a

Thing 1.

Give yourself a break.   Even christians are not happy all the time and if they try to act like they are, then they are lying.  Personally I am happier now as an atheist than I ever was as a christian.  Do you feel the same?  

Thing 2.

I talk to myself more too.  I remember when I was a christian thinking that "god told me" certain things.  Now I know it was my own common sense keeping myself out of bad situations.

Kari Perry

spike.barnett
Superfan
spike.barnett's picture
User is offlineOffline
Thingy 1 (might as well do

Thingy 1 (might as well do as everyone else )

It's been said before, it's not a healthy thing to do. If your angry or sad don't try to hide it, try to fix it. Your rational thought will aid you.

Thingy 2

I do that all the time, just not out loud. It's how we work out problems. I would think a lot of people have the whole inner monologue going. You just happen to vocalize yours and I don't see a problem with that. It's the people that don't think about things from multiple sides that you have to worry about.

After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him.

The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.
MySpace

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
I can't really comment on

I can't really comment on your first "thing".

However, I often talk to myself. I find it is often the best conversation available. I often view subjects in this way, presenting multiple arguments from multiple points of view, and arguing them against me. After discussing a subject in this way, I tend to feel more confident about it, and I have better knowledge of the way something works. The two subjects I've discussed with myself the most are religion and politics, in that order. I am now supremely confident in both(last year I couldn't have said the same about politics), though I still debate myself on occassion under the right circumstances.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Adroit wrote:I made sure to

Adroit wrote:

Thing #1

I feel a large amount of pressure to always appear happy, and to never appear confused. Any time I stop being upbeat or I show confusion about life in general, then I feel like I'm giving any theist evidence that they are right. My parents especially.

I feel like theists assume people who are upbeat and happy are christians, this is a false assumption so I want to be able to prove it wrong 100% of the time instead of when I'm naturally happy.

Also theists assume people who are confused or not happy are lacking the spirit of God or something... If i show myself as unhappy when I'm unhappy I just feel like i'm reinforcing this ignorance.

Thing #2

I used to have like a "personal relationship with jesus christ" lol so basically I had an imaginary friend.

I answer myself, and its almost like I have 2 personalities in these conversations... One is really pessimistic and the other is just normal me.

know who I am and i'm not confused about that, I really think it is a side-effect of the whole christian thing though... because I had this idea of who God is. I was so certain that I used to pretty much answer my own questions that I would ask out-loud... Not like I was God, but that I was speaking for him.

It really bugs me and i don't know where else it came from, I cuss a lot while talking to myself and every now and then people catch me and it makes me feel like a crazy person.

Anyway if anyone can relate, or just if you have something to say please do.

Yes, I can relate.

There is nothing wrong with facing reality, sometimes reality is depressing. It isn't that you are wrong in having these feelings. And they are lieing to you if they say they don't have doubts or troubles.

Their god, or any for that matter, is not needed to feel the full range, good or bad, of emotions that we naturally evolved with.

At work I constantly get criticised for my "negitivity"(their words), when I see it as postive pragmatism in thinking about what what can and does, often in life, go wrong.

My close friend, frequently smokes pot and drives, or drinks and drives. I love the guy, he has a huge heart. BUT, every time I explain that it will catch up to him, he treats me like I am a pesimist, or that I am going to "jinx" him.

It is ok to have down times. It is ok to have sad emotions. It is ok to think about things that might go wrong in life.

But the downside to that is that you can spiral into deep depression which is unhealthy. Christians, dispite what they tell you, are just as human as you are, and have as many joys and sadness as you do.

I would suggest in your more sad times, to seek like minded people. I know that when I have been too worried about my mom or my pets, getting on line with a fellow atheist and venting about life in general, helps me face the next day.

DO NOT let anyone fool you that they are "UP" all the time. Rich or poor, Christian, Muslim, Jew, or atheist, we all have the same emotions and incur the same joys and strife in life.

You are not alone, and they, nor we, or anyone, is perfect. Don't let their baggage about what they think you should be, consume you. Don't dwell on emotions, express them with someone you like, then get over them and move on.

You are not a clone of them, or me. Just be yourself.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Adroit
atheist
Adroit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Thanks

Hey I read everyones comments, but i'm too busy to respond to them all...

I was in a good mood today and my talking to myself has decreased about 90%

I think this is due to understanding what is going through my head thanks to these posts, also just knowing that i'm not the only one helped.

With #1 it didn't matter cuz i was in a good mood anyway Laughing out loud

Psychosavant
Psychosavant's picture
User is offlineOffline
Now you're happy. That makes

Now you're happy. That makes me happy. So we're happy. That'll make everyone else happy. Now let's all go get wasted! Yeah!

greek goddess
Rational VIP!Science Freak
greek goddess's picture
User is offlineOffline
   Sorry...  I just

Sorry...  I just couldn't resist

SSBBJunky
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
LOL Greek Goddess

Thing #2: though I cant be sure of your case, I do talk to myself quite a lot..(few times it will concern me insulting/correcting myself on something i did wrong. Mostly in social situations but sometimes when I cant figure out a challenge left by the Math professor ).

But most times, like others said, I do that when I cant keep track of my thoughts.

wow I must be crazy lol, I actually divide stuff I have to remember into categories and then say them out loud every 15-20 minutes so I dont forget them.. :/ and Im not sure what this affliction would be(if it is any) but I tend to make sure of stuff a lot, like if I close my bookbag i actually put my finger on the zipper thingies about 5-6 times to make sure that they are ALL the way closed <....(not exaggerating)

But I wouldnt consider myself crazy xD

''Black Holes result from God dividing the universe by zero.''

spike.barnett
Superfan
spike.barnett's picture
User is offlineOffline
SSBBJunky wrote:Thing #2:

SSBBJunky wrote:

Thing #2: though I cant be sure of your case, I do talk to myself quite a lot..(few times it will concern me insulting/correcting myself on something i did wrong. Mostly in social situations but sometimes when I cant figure out a challenge left by the Math professor ).

But most times, like others said, I do that when I cant keep track of my thoughts.

wow I must be crazy lol, I actually divide stuff I have to remember into categories and then say them out loud every 15-20 minutes so I dont forget them.. :/ and Im not sure what this affliction would be(if it is any) but I tend to make sure of stuff a lot, like if I close my bookbag i actually put my finger on the zipper thingies about 5-6 times to make sure that they are ALL the way closed <....(not exaggerating)

But I wouldnt consider myself crazy xD

Sounds like OCD to me.

Good one Goddess.

After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him.

MySpace

SSBBJunky
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Ohhh

spike.barnett wrote:

Sounds like OCD to me.

Good one Goddess.

I KNEW it was that lol. I was never really sure what exactly OCD was, but I suspected I had a small case of it.

EDIT: I think it might actually be OCPD. OCPD individuals will make lists of things to do.

but... ill...for..ge..t.

''Black Holes result from God dividing the universe by zero.''

spike.barnett
Superfan
spike.barnett's picture
User is offlineOffline
SSBBJunky

SSBBJunky wrote:

spike.barnett wrote:

Sounds like OCD to me.

Good one Goddess.

I KNEW it was that lol. I was never really sure what exactly OCD was, but I suspected I had a small case of it.

EDIT: I think it might actually be OCPD. OCPD individuals will make lists of things to do.

but... ill...for..ge..t.

I had a friend who suffered from OCDC. It was rather annoying.

MySpace