Israel pulls out of Gaza

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
Cpt_pineapple's picture
Posts: 5487
Joined: 2007-04-12
User is offlineOffline
Israel pulls out of Gaza

http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2009/01/21/israel-gaza.html

 


Not only that they also took out the U.N headquarters which provides critical aid to civilians

 

 

 

 

 

 


Vastet
atheistBloggerHigh Level ModeratorSuperfan
Vastet's picture
Posts: 10725
Joined: 2006-12-25
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Israel pulls out of

For another month, anyway.

Quote:
Not only that they also took out the U.N headquarters which provides critical aid to civilians

I wish I could say I was surprised.

Proud Canadian, Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.


Dracos
Posts: 106
Joined: 2008-12-27
User is offlineOffline
Gaza

I don't live very far from Canada.  Almost all the Canadians that I have met are friendly, smart, educated and agreeable.  I think most of my neighbors feel that way.  But imagine how upset we would become if they started launching missles into our neighborhood.  We know most Canadians are OK but some are firing missles at us.  I believe that is the situation that Israel finds itself in.  I would like to hear some intelligent ideas, so I'll ask you fellow athiests.  What can be done?


Cpt_pineapple
atheist
Cpt_pineapple's picture
Posts: 5487
Joined: 2007-04-12
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:Quote:Israel

Vastet wrote:

For another month, anyway.

 

Or until they re-load

 

Quote:

Quote:
Not only that they also took out the U.N headquarters which provides critical aid to civilians

I wish I could say I was surprised.

 

I've always thought that U.N and international forces are the best way to resolve this, which is why I'm glad the first article indicated that European forces can come in.

 

At least they have better aim.


 


Dracos wrote:

What can be done?

 

 

I think both Israel and Hamas should be held accountable for their actions.

 

 

If a Hamas leader orders rockets into Israel hold him accountable.

 

If an IDF general orders an attack on a civilian complex hold him accountable.


 

If either of the leaders refuse tough beans. U.N intervention to drag their ass to the Human Rights Committee

 

 

 

 

 


Dracos
Posts: 106
Joined: 2008-12-27
User is offlineOffline
Gaza

Great idea.  Who is going to bell the cat?


Genejack Factory
Genejack Factory's picture
Posts: 2
Joined: 2009-02-18
User is offlineOffline
One solution would be to

One solution would be to build a Time Machine and go back to the end of the First World War and prevent the seperation of Palestine. We can't do that unfortunately.  Considering the indiviual Israel recently declared Prime Minister is opposed to a two-state solution with a shared capitol in Jerusalem, it seems unlikely anything can be accomplished anytime soon.

 

Against such abominations, we organize our defenses on the principle that one strong and able mind can shield the many.


Cpt_pineapple
atheist
Cpt_pineapple's picture
Posts: 5487
Joined: 2007-04-12
User is offlineOffline
Genejack Factory wrote:One

Genejack Factory wrote:

One solution would be to build a Time Machine and go back to the end of the First World War and prevent the seperation of Palestine. We can't do that unfortunately.  Considering the indiviual Israel recently declared Prime Minister is opposed to a two-state solution with a shared capitol in Jerusalem, it seems unlikely anything can be accomplished anytime soon.

 

 

If I had a time machine, I would have just kept Lebanon in the hands of the French so Lebanon would have just surrendered so the conflict would be half over.

 

 

 

 

 

 


Vastet
atheistBloggerHigh Level ModeratorSuperfan
Vastet's picture
Posts: 10725
Joined: 2006-12-25
User is offlineOffline
Dracos wrote:I don't live

Dracos wrote:

I don't live very far from Canada.  Almost all the Canadians that I have met are friendly, smart, educated and agreeable.  I think most of my neighbors feel that way.  But imagine how upset we would become if they started launching missles into our neighborhood.  We know most Canadians are OK but some are firing missles at us.  I believe that is the situation that Israel finds itself in.  I would like to hear some intelligent ideas, so I'll ask you fellow athiests.  What can be done?

I think that the UN started all this back after the WW when they forced Palestine to be destroyed in order to house the new country of Israel. As dispicable as Hamas' goal of pushing Israel into the ocean is, it is the same as Israel's goal to increase the amount of land stolen from Palestinians in the first place, and force Palestine to live under Israeli occupation forever.

What can be done? It's sad that it's come to this, but there's only one way to fix it quickly and with a minimum loss of life now. A UN force, backed by every international military presence, forces its way into the entire region. Israel and Palestine are conquered, their power disbanded. Peacekeepers are stationed for a minimum of a generation, though two or three are probably going to be necessary. After the criminal acts of Palestinians and Israeli's cease(or are at least mitigated into obscurity), a measure of democracy can be restored. It'll be a long and nasty process, but it's the only option for a quick resolution left. Neither of the two sides has any interest in ending it themselves(despite what they'd have others believe), so the pressure must come from outside.

Proud Canadian, Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.


Dracos
Posts: 106
Joined: 2008-12-27
User is offlineOffline
Gaza, and beyond

Another great idea.  The cat is belled.  Do you recomend that The UN become more powerful than any one country?  You know in sci-fi when we find another planet its almost, not always, like Mars vs Earth.  Or planet X vs Earth.  But rarely the stripes vs the solids, on that planet.  Is it possible, and necessary, to unite our planet,  before we venture into the Cosmos?


marshalltenbears
marshalltenbears's picture
Posts: 223
Joined: 2009-02-19
User is offlineOffline
who cares

wow, they pulled out. Hamas, or whoever will just rearm, launch rockets, Isreal invades, UN says stop it, play nice, Isreal pulls out...........it will go on forever. And do a little research on the UN, they are not innocent either.

"Take all the heads of the people
and hang them up before the Lord
against the sun.” -- Numbers 25:4


aiia
Superfan
aiia's picture
Posts: 1923
Joined: 2006-09-12
User is offlineOffline
Israel already has a un, 2

Israel already has a un, 2 is not needed (if any).

 

The un had no business setting up shop in gaza; it is not recognized as a sovereign. gaza is israel

 

People who think there is something they refer to as god don't ask enough questions.


Vastet
atheistBloggerHigh Level ModeratorSuperfan
Vastet's picture
Posts: 10725
Joined: 2006-12-25
User is offlineOffline
Dracos wrote: Another great

Dracos wrote:

Another great idea.  The cat is belled.  Do you recomend that The UN become more powerful than any one country?  You know in sci-fi when we find another planet its almost, not always, like Mars vs Earth.  Or planet X vs Earth.  But rarely the stripes vs the solids, on that planet.  Is it possible, and necessary, to unite our planet,  before we venture into the Cosmos?

Under ideal circumstances, I could support that(with proper checks and balances of course). But we aren't there yet.

I do think think we need to unite to an extent, and find a common goal to persue, if we're going to go very much further as a civilization. The tactical problems with being internally divided if we should ever come across a species or problem that isn't are scary. Even if it's a faction derived from humanity. Perhaps especially so.

We don't need to be, and should avoid becoming, robots, but some common goals should be able to be found within our diversity.

At the same time...it's a bit too late to be unified while facing the cosmos. Debates on who owns space are prevalent. The US wants to ensure that noone has space militarized before them. China and Russia are persuing similar goals. I would imagine at least another half dozen nations are too. Hitler was broadcast into eternity back in the 30's, and our history has been available for anyone who had the ability and desire to listen since then. We're already playing the game. We just don't know if we're the only ones yet.

Btw, I'm unfamiliar with the term "The cat is belled.". Could you please elaborate?

Proud Canadian, Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.


Vastet
atheistBloggerHigh Level ModeratorSuperfan
Vastet's picture
Posts: 10725
Joined: 2006-12-25
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

 indicated that European forces can come in.

 At least they have better aim.  

Rofl

How did I miss that?

ROTF

 

Proud Canadian, Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.


The Doomed Soul
atheist
The Doomed Soul's picture
Posts: 2148
Joined: 2007-08-31
User is offlineOffline
I akin Israel to a Moose,

I akin Israel to a Moose, surrounded by a pack of wolves.

 

A wolf goes in for a bite, gets a hoof in the cranium, and is down for the count

 

Then you have the U.S/U.N/Nato who are the equivalent of an armed Hunter, watching over the scene.

Whats he hunting for? a trophy moose? or a trophy wolf? clear shot at either, hell, clear shot at both o_O

 

Im sure this will all be very interesting, 40years down the road, in history books...

What Would Kharn Do?


Dracos
Posts: 106
Joined: 2008-12-27
User is offlineOffline
Belling the Cat

A long time ago there was a house full of cats and mice.  The mice assembled a group to discuss the problem.  One observed.  "If the cat had a bell around his neck we would always know where he was and we would be safer.    The idea was put forward to the general population and all the mice agreed.  Except one {probably an athiest}  He said.  "And who will bell the cat?"  The moral,  The best layed plans of mice and men have often gone astray.


Vastet
atheistBloggerHigh Level ModeratorSuperfan
Vastet's picture
Posts: 10725
Joined: 2006-12-25
User is offlineOffline
Heh. I'm familiar with a

Heh. I'm familiar with a variant of that tale, though it doesn't come with a quote like yours does.

Proud Canadian, Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.


Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
Posts: 2406
Joined: 2008-03-25
User is offlineOffline
For Vastet & Dracos

Dracos wrote:

A long time ago there was a house full of cats and mice.  The mice assembled a group to discuss the problem.  One observed.  "If the cat had a bell around his neck we would always know where he was and we would be safer.    The idea was put forward to the general population and all the mice agreed.  Except one {probably an athiest}  He said.  "And who will bell the cat?"  The moral,  The best layed plans of mice and men have often gone astray.

             The tale is one of Aesop's and I think the moral was  something like don't waste time with great ideas unless you can carry then out.

              The quote is from a poem by Robert Burns; or about 2000 years after the fabel.

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?