PORN PORN PORN! A Christian Speaks On The Evils and Wrongs Of Pornography

Cory_The_Ration...
Posts: 50
Joined: 2009-02-12
User is offlineOffline
PORN PORN PORN! A Christian Speaks On The Evils and Wrongs Of Pornography

It's an issue that plagues both men and women, young and old, Christian and non-Christian. Many of you may already know my story. My old life of deceit and hypocricy: claiming to preach the gospel by day, but diving headfirst into my addiction to pornography by night. This message, however, is not about me. I'm free now. This message is for YOU. YOU who know you are trapped by this sin and truly want to be free. YOU who are ready to get out. If I'm talking to YOU, then please keep reading.

Before You Read This


You must understand that I do not claim to be an expert counselor or an export on the issue of pornography. What gives me the right to hit this issue is the simple fact taht I experienced it personally. God pulled me out of that filth so that I can help you come out of it too. It is my duty. (2 Corinthians 1:3-7)



The words you read are not just full of my opinion. These are instructions from God. Nothing I say will contradict that Word of God. In fact, throughout this entire process, I will refer you back to specific scriptures in the Bible.



Phase 1: Admission


The first stage in this process is to confess to God that you have sinned and repent (a changing of the mind) and ask Him for forgiveness.


Now you might be saying, "But looking at porn isn't a sin. The bible doesn't even talk about it!" While the Word doesn't specifically mention the word ' pornography,' God gives us plently of scriptures telling us it's wrong.



a) (Matthew 5:28) "But I say unto, That whosoever LOOKETH on a woman to lust after


her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart."



You can't tell me that when you watch porn you don't get any lustful pleasure out of it. Believe me, I was there once. I loved every minute of it. So you say, "What's wrong with LOOKING? It's not like I'm actually doing anything or acting it out."



b) (Proverbs 23:7) "For as he thinketh in his heart, so is he..."



So now you're thinking, "So technically I'm an adulterer. What's so wrong with that?"



c) (Exodus 20:14) "Thou shalt not commit adultery."



"Okay. I committed adultery, and that's a sin. But so what? What's so bad about one little sin?"



d) (Romans 6:23) "For the wages of sin is DEATH, but the gift of God is eternal life through


Jesus Christ our Lord."



"Oh no. I messed up. I know I've sinned. I don't want to go to hell. How do I turn my life around? How do I get this Jesus for myself?"



You're headed in the right direction. Confession is first. You've got to admit you've sinned, believe FORREAL that Jesus Christ came as God in the flesh and ask Him to be Lord over your life, confess Him as your ruler. (Romans 10:9) "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation."



If you're truly ready for a fresh start, pray this prayer (or something similar to it in your own words)

out loud

.



"Lord, Jesus. Come into my heart. I admit I've sinned. I know I messed up. I'm sorry for my sins. Please forgive me and make me new. I know you're God in the flesh, sent to die for my sins and be raised again. Please become Lord and ruler over my life. Change my mindset. I repent, Lord. Thank You for saving me. In Jesus' name I pray, amen."



If you

sincerely

prayed that prayer, out loud, then congradulations. You're saved now! You've got a clean slate. Go ahead and turn a backflip, run, scream, shout, dance, cry, get krunk, whatever. Just don't hurt anybody.



Phase II: Now What? - The Process


You showed great faith and courage by taking that first step. But guess what - it's not over yet. This is a PROCESS. There's more you have to do if you REALLY want to get rid of this porn thing.


If you're like I used to be, pornography has become a major hinderance in your life. It's a burden. It's like a disease attached to you. It interferes with homework, church, prayer, family time, relaxation, vacations, eating, sleeping, etc. It's like porn is your drug. You can't last long without it, right? Well it's time to get rid of it once and for all.



[Clean Out]



a) (Psalm 55:22) "Cast thy burden upon the Lord, and he shall sustain thee..."


b) (Matthew 11:28) "Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give


you rest."


c) (Hebrews 12:16) "...Let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset


us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us."



Simply pray, "Lord, please remove this sinful burden from my life. I can't go on like this."



Now, the Word tells us in (James 5:16) that "...the effectual fervent prayer of the righteous man availeth much." However, this is going to take more than prayer.



d) (James 1:22) "But be ye DOERS of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own


selves."



It's time for you to take action.


Get rid of the source(s) of your porn by every means possible. Smash your tapes, burn them, throw them in the dump, shred them. Deleter every pornographic file from your computer, burn the magazines. Delete your browsing history, disconnect your internet for a while if you have to. Do whatever it takes!



This includes PEOPLE who give you porn too.



e) (2 Corinthians 6:14) "Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what


fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with


darkness?"



Simply put: If your crew's always watching porn, inviting you to watch with them, have orgy's and group masturbation, giving you links to the latest free porn sites, etc....get rid of them! Stop kickin' it with that crew. You know your weakness. So stay away from it. (James 4:7) "Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you." I know it's not going to be easy. But you can do it. I believe in you!



[Temptation]



By the way, just because you're taking a stand now doesn't mean you're done fighting it. Satan isn't going to stop tempting you to look at porn. It's his job to screw your life up. (John 10:10) "The theif commeth not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy..."


You're going to be temped to watch again...immediately. You're probably being tempted even as you read this. But it's important that you do two things:



1.) Don't blame God. (James 1:13-14) "Let no man say when he is tempted, I am temped of


God: for God cannot be temped with eveil, neither tempteth He any man. But every


man is tempted when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed."



2.) Know that God will help you escape. (1 Corinthians 10:13) "There hath no temptation


taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to


be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to


escape, that ye may be able to bear it."



(Galations 5:1) "Stand fast therefore in the liberty wherewith Christ hath made us free, and be not entangled again with the yoke of bondage."



When you feel the "urge," find your escape route. Do something drastic. Get away from the computer, VCR, or whatever it is. What worked best for me was getting outdoors as quickly as possible. I got myself in front of people. I wouldn't dare look at porn or masturbate in broad daylight in front of a bunch of people. Find something that works for you. Do something else productive with your hands, ANYTHING! Also, pray while you're fighting it. (1 Thessalonians 5:17)



[Sustain]



1.) Tell someone about your new freedom. Get an accountability partner. Your paster, a friend, your sibling, SOMEONE. (James 5:16)



2.) Get more into your Word. (2 Timothy 2:15) "Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth."



3.) Pray more. (1 Thessalonians 5:17) "Pray without ceasing."



[Conclusion]



Congradulations again for making this bold change in your life in faith. My prayer is that you maintain your freedom and grow stronger in the Lord. To God be the glory, not me.


Cory_The_Ration...
Posts: 50
Joined: 2009-02-12
User is offlineOffline
I'm just curious to others

I'm just curious to others thoughts on this.

I thought it was a load of bullshit personally.


Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
Posts: 3142
Joined: 2007-06-24
User is offlineOffline
Quote:If we are not able to

Quote:
If we are not able to ask skeptical questions, to interrogate those that tell us that something is true, to be skeptical of those in authority, then we're up for grabs

I went over your post twice. Not once did you actually discuss any reason that porn is evil, unhealthy, wrong, etc. The entire thing is the equivalent of a Sunday morning sermon where Big Brother's list of immutable laws are referenced as though they, naked and alone, would constitute sufficient argument for your claim.

 

Are you joking? You're really that willing to bunch your liberties into a ball and discard them?

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

- Leon Trotsky, Last Will & Testament
February 27, 1940


Cory_The_Ration...
Posts: 50
Joined: 2009-02-12
User is offlineOffline
lmaooooooooooooooo I was

lmaooooooooooooooo

 

I was thinking the same thing, and I didn't write this.

It's from some Christian's Myspace Blog.

 

 


Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 13488
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is onlineOnline
What the fuck is this

What the fuck is this crap?

You think you are magically going to make us fall on our knees because you posted psudo psychicogical 12 step garbage?

I like to masturbate, and I like looking at porn. I will not be ashamed of my biology because of your ancient superstition.

Now, lets strip your magical lawgiver out of the equation and put some reality into the mix.

1. Are there adults and children exploited by others for the sale of  sex?

DUH! Thanks for the update. I hope you don't think because I dont believe in your magical puppeteer in the sky, that somehow I advocate sex slavery.

2. Do atheist advocate public orgies on public transet or in public schools?

Why yes. We also love Hitler and masturbate over posters of Stalin. How did you guess?

Here is a word you should look up in the dictionary, because I doubt you have ever run into it.

CONSENT!

The key is not getting rid of crime. I am with punishing anyone who seeks to harm others without their consent. But I am damn sure not going to stop masturbating over porn because of your OCD.

Your 12 step program is nothing but a crutch, a placebo diversion therapy that does nothing but replace one obsession with another.

It does not  take a rocket scientist to say, "Don't harm others". It does not take Allah to say, "Moderation and safety".

So take your prudish self centered "Look at me" fictional god and try peddling it to gullible people.

While you are doing that, I will be spanking my monkey over some hot babe.

 

 

 

 

 

 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


Cory_The_Ration...
Posts: 50
Joined: 2009-02-12
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:While you are

Brian37 wrote:

While you are doing that, I will be spanking my monkey over some hot babe.

 

 

OWNED!!!!

 


Cory_The_Ration...
Posts: 50
Joined: 2009-02-12
User is offlineOffline
I was going to reply to this

I was going to reply to this guy on Myspace, but my brain can't function good enough to disect this nonsense.

 

I was reading it like

 


Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 13488
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is onlineOnline
What the fuck is this crap?

What the fuck is this crap?

You think you are magically going to make us fall on our knees because you posted psudo psychicogical 12 step garbage?

I like to masturbate, and I like looking at porn. I will not be ashamed of my biology because of your ancient superstition.

Now, lets strip your magical lawgiver out of the equation and put some reality into the mix.

1. Are there adults and children exploited by others for the sale of  sex?

DUH! Thanks for the update. I hope you don't think because I dont believe in your magical puppeteer in the sky, that somehow I advocate sex slavery.

2. Do atheist advocate public orgies on public transet or in public schools?

Why yes. We also love Hitler and masturbate over posters of Stalin. How did you guess?

Here is a word you should look up in the dictionary, because I doubt you have ever run into it.

CONSENT!

The key is  getting rid of crime. I am with punishing anyone who seeks to harm others. But I am damn sure not going to stop masturbating over porn because of your OCD.

Your 12 step program is nothing but a crutch, a placebo diversion therapy that does nothing but replace one obsession with another.

It does not  take a rocket scientist to say, "Don't harm others". It does not take Allah to say, "Moderation and safety".

So take your prudish self centered "Look at me" fictional god and try peddling it to gullible people.

While you are doing that, I will be spanking my monkey over some hot babe.

(DISCLAIMER TO YOUNGER FOLK)

If you have sex, especially without a condom, you can get pregnant. BABIES COST MONEY. If you have sex without a condom, you can get diseases(even deadly ones). ORAL SEX COUNTS AS SEX.

There anal retentive 12 stumbler, was that enough of a compromise to keep you from preaching to me how I need GAWED to tell me how playing with my wee wee will make me go blind?

 

 

 

 

 

 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


Cory_The_Ration...
Posts: 50
Joined: 2009-02-12
User is offlineOffline
There anal retentive 12

There anal retentive 12 stumbler, was that enough of a compromise to keep you from preaching to me how I need GAWED to tell me how playing with my wee wee will make me go blind?

 

 

lmaoooooooooooooooooooooooooo


Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
Posts: 8657
Joined: 2006-10-22
User is offlineOffline
 Um...yeah...so, um...

 Um...

yeah...

so, um... anyway... um... 

sheesh.  I can't think of anything constructive to say about that.  Have a nice day and try not to look at any boobies... or something.

 

 

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism


Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 13488
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is onlineOnline
And because dense

And because dense cheerleaders like you excell at missrepresentation I have to needlessly add to my disclaimer.

Condoms only reduce risk. You can still get disease and get pregnant even while using a condom.

BUT, the attitude of the Chrisitian is much like the auto industry when skeptics suggested seatbelts and air bags. They realized that cars were not going anywhere, so why not make them safer. I don't hear Christians banning cars because people die in car accedents.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 13488
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is onlineOnline
Hambydammit

Hambydammit wrote:

 Um...

yeah...

so, um... anyway... um... 

sheesh.  I can't think of anything constructive to say about that.  Have a nice day and try not to look at any boobies... or something.

 

 

Hambi, you are the Martin Luther King of atheism and I am the Malcom X.  How you keep your distain for such absurdity restrained is beyond me.

 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


Cory_The_Ration...
Posts: 50
Joined: 2009-02-12
User is offlineOffline
How should I reply to this

How should I reply to this guy lol?

I destroy him in all of his other blogs, but this one...

I can't just say the whole blog is bullshit, even though it is, without giving reasons.

I did notice, however, how he didn't give any reasons or proof for pornography being wrong for "Non-Christians".


Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 13488
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is onlineOnline
Cory_The_Rational_Dude

Cory_The_Rational_Dude wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

While you are doing that, I will be spanking my monkey over some hot babe.

 

 

OWNED!!!!

 

I do have to admit I have ADD myself. Because of your post count and missunderstanding the clarity of the OP, I got the impression that you were a hit and run Christian. This website does get  many of those.

BUT, having said that. If you can find a less blunt way to post what I said on that forum, more power to you. I call them like I see them and I cant sugar coat it.

My apologies for the collateral damage.

 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


Cory_The_Ration...
Posts: 50
Joined: 2009-02-12
User is offlineOffline
lol.I've noticed the

lol.

I've noticed the hit-and-run Christians. I registered on this site like 2 weeks ago and just got my email to join...I've been checking the place out for about 4 months.

I love this place.

 


Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
Posts: 8657
Joined: 2006-10-22
User is offlineOffline
 Huh?  Are you talking

[EDIT: I just realized that the OP was not advocating this nonsense.  Consider the following as my response to whoever wrote it.] 

Huh?  Are you talking about me?

Here's some of my own writing to get you started:

What's So Great About Sex?

What Science Says About Human Sexuality

What Does Sugar Have To Do With Murder?!

On Myth, Sexuality, and Culture

Female Sexuality and Origins

Christian Morality (with pictures!)

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/2009/02/18/monkey-morality-and-the-problem-of-human-morality/

Morality: Absolute and Subjective!

Religious Indoctrination and an Atheist’s Moral Imperative

Grandparents, Parents, and Favoritism

Conspicuous Consumption

More on Sexual Selection

How would you design an arms race?

Evolutionary Psychology in Action

In order for us to even begin to talk about human sexuality, you need to have at least a rudimentary understanding of the scientific basis for it.  These articles will acquaint you with the basics of sexuality and human morality.  Once you understand the basics, we can start talking about the sociocultural effects of various sexual ideologies on individuals' self esteem, self image, and sexual health.

Until you display something above a Bronze Age understanding of human nature, there's no point in me trying to talk to you.

 

 

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism


Cory_The_Ration...
Posts: 50
Joined: 2009-02-12
User is offlineOffline
Re-read everything in this

Re-read everything in this topic lol.

I didn't write or agree with this "Pornography is wrong" thing.

Atheist attacking atheists

 


Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
Posts: 8657
Joined: 2006-10-22
User is offlineOffline
 I hope you saw my edit.

 I hope you saw my edit.  I gotta admit, about half way through that twaddle, my brain turned off, and I pretty much ignored the rest of the thread.  There's a certain amount of stupidity I just can't tolerate.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism


Cory_The_Ration...
Posts: 50
Joined: 2009-02-12
User is offlineOffline
hahahah I just saw it. 

hahahah

 

I just saw it.

 


anniet
Silver Member
Posts: 325
Joined: 2008-08-06
User is offlineOffline
This reminds me of the b.s.

This reminds me of the b.s. christians spout at drug addicts.  If you've got a problem in life because you can't control yourself you need to remove yourself from such situations, figure out a coping mechanism that doesn't cause you such problems, and actually address whatever is the underlying problem.  Covering the problem up with some deity isn't going to fix it any more than jacking off obsessively will.

The time and energy that christians will go to to get addicted to religion rather than actually taking the time to deal with the problems causing their desire to be an addict is amazing. 

"I am that I am." - Proof that the writers of the bible were beyond stoned.


Cory_The_Ration...
Posts: 50
Joined: 2009-02-12
User is offlineOffline
good reply  

good reply

 

 


Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 13488
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is onlineOnline
Hambydammit wrote: I hope

Hambydammit wrote:

 I hope you saw my edit.  I gotta admit, about half way through that twaddle, my brain turned off, and I pretty much ignored the rest of the thread.  There's a certain amount of stupidity I just can't tolerate.

Atheists can fall into the same trap, by virtue of being human, of filling in the gaps. We are all subject to the same flaw that causes someone to look at two ink lines on paper (based on angle) and falsely chose the one that seems smaller, when at a direct angle , the seemingly smaller line is in reality, by virtue of a ruler, is the longer line.

Now mind you, to our theistic readers and posters of this site, this is not a "Dumb and Dumber" "So you're saying there's a chance" advocation. This is a mere adimition that we fart, shit and will die like theists.

I jumped to the conclusion that the OP was a Christian, not because god is real, but because the pattern of hit and run theists was the default position, "law of averages".

Make no mistake about it. I may have had an itchy trigger finger, but because I missfired, that does not mean that Allah will provide you with a Harem, or that Jesus was a result of liitle green men, according to Tom Cruise.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
Posts: 8657
Joined: 2006-10-22
User is offlineOffline
 Among my top five favorite

 Among my top five favorite South Park episodes is the one where Stan's Dad goes to AA and learns that he has a disease, and then thinks the ass blood of the virgin mary statue has cured him.  When the pope rules that the bleeding statue is a miracle, Stan's dad has to face the reality that he controlled his drinking on his own without any miraculous help.

I haven't gotten around to writing a serious piece on porn, largely because it's such a politically charged issue, and there simply isn't a lot of good research on it.  One day, I'll do it.  Not today.

 

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism


Cory_The_Ration...
Posts: 50
Joined: 2009-02-12
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:Hambydammit

Brian37 wrote:

Hambydammit wrote:

 I hope you saw my edit.  I gotta admit, about half way through that twaddle, my brain turned off, and I pretty much ignored the rest of the thread.  There's a certain amount of stupidity I just can't tolerate.

Make no mistake about it. I may have had an itchy trigger finger, but because I missfired, that does not mean that Allah will provide you with a Harem, or that Jesus was a result of liitle green men, according to Tom Cruise.

 

lmaooooooooooooooo

 


Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 13488
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is onlineOnline
Cory_The_Rational_Dude

Cory_The_Rational_Dude wrote:

lol.

I've noticed the hit-and-run Christians. I registered on this site like 2 weeks ago and just got my email to join...I've been checking the place out for about 4 months.

I love this place.

 

Yea sure you love this place, but you havent read the terms of service. This site expressly forbids any man or woman being a member who plays with their private parts.

READ THE FINE PRINT!

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 13488
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is onlineOnline
Cory_The_Rational_Dude

Cory_The_Rational_Dude wrote:

There anal retentive 12 stumbler, was that enough of a compromise to keep you from preaching to me how I need GAWED to tell me how playing with my wee wee will make me go blind?

 

 

lmaoooooooooooooooooooooooooo

I know you were qoting me, but it does help if you learn the quote function so that people wont be confused as to who said what.

I have to admit in my speedy repies, sometimes I miss a subtle syntax and the post gets messed up.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


Cory_The_Ration...
Posts: 50
Joined: 2009-02-12
User is offlineOffline
Brian37

Brian37 wrote:

Cory_The_Rational_Dude wrote:

There anal retentive 12 stumbler, was that enough of a compromise to keep you from preaching to me how I need GAWED to tell me how playing with my wee wee will make me go blind?

 

 

lmaoooooooooooooooooooooooooo

I know you were qoting me, but it does help if you learn the quote function so that people wont be confused as to who said what.

I have to admit in my speedy repies, sometimes I miss a subtle syntax and the post gets messed up.

 

Thanks.

I have to get used to the posting format, it's different than what I'm used to lol


butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
Posts: 3701
Joined: 2008-09-12
User is offlineOffline
Love the dialogue with the

Love the dialogue with the imaginary masturbator.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare


Vastet
atheistBloggerHigh Level ModeratorSuperfan
Vastet's picture
Posts: 10497
Joined: 2006-12-25
User is onlineOnline
Cory_The_Rational_Dude

Cory_The_Rational_Dude wrote:

I'm just curious to others thoughts on this.

I thought it was a load of bullshit personally.

I'll say this much: You had me worried about you until I read your second post.

Proud Canadian, Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.


Vastet
atheistBloggerHigh Level ModeratorSuperfan
Vastet's picture
Posts: 10497
Joined: 2006-12-25
User is onlineOnline
Hambydammit wrote: Among my

Hambydammit wrote:

 Among my top five favorite South Park episodes is the one where Stan's Dad goes to AA and learns that he has a disease, and then thinks the ass blood of the virgin mary statue has cured him.  When the pope rules that the bleeding statue is a miracle, Stan's dad has to face the reality that he controlled his drinking on his own without any miraculous help.

I haven't gotten around to writing a serious piece on porn, largely because it's such a politically charged issue, and there simply isn't a lot of good research on it.  One day, I'll do it.  Not today.

 

I wouldn't bother if I were you. Porn, despite detractors, has been solid enough throughout the decades to have ensured the survival of: Television, VCRs/VHS, Betamax/BETA, the internet, DVD's, and Blu-Ray discs; to name a few products that continue to be of use to this day, as well as a few that are now outdated in most of the world. Porn will never be in danger of disappearing. The only thing that might pull off the slaying of porn would be humanity suddenly adopting a nudist policy globally.

*shudder*

Come to think of it, even then there'll be some poor guy/girl somewhere surrounded by 400 pounders....

Proud Canadian, Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.


Cory_The_Ration...
Posts: 50
Joined: 2009-02-12
User is offlineOffline
Vastet

Vastet wrote:

Cory_The_Rational_Dude wrote:

I'm just curious to others thoughts on this.

I thought it was a load of bullshit personally.

I'll say this much: You had me worried about you until I read your second post.

 

hahahhahhhaahahahahahah


fgneibarger
fgneibarger's picture
Posts: 18
Joined: 2009-02-17
User is offlineOffline
Hmm...thats a tasty lick.

More often than not, I find myself stunned by religion and its effect on people. I wish I could make a snarky comment about this or dis this guy, but...he did that to himself. I have nothing to say here.

I don't have the time to cater to your religious beliefs. Its much less time consuming to simply mock them, and, on occasion, give a reasonable explanation as to why I do so. But that's if I'm in a good mood.


Cory_The_Ration...
Posts: 50
Joined: 2009-02-12
User is offlineOffline
fgneibarger wrote:More often

fgneibarger wrote:

More often than not, I find myself stunned by religion and its effect on people. I wish I could make a snarky comment about this or dis this guy, but...he did that to himself. I have nothing to say here.

 

please do


fgneibarger
fgneibarger's picture
Posts: 18
Joined: 2009-02-17
User is offlineOffline
Cory_The_Rational_Dude

Cory_The_Rational_Dude wrote:

fgneibarger wrote:

More often than not, I find myself stunned by religion and its effect on people. I wish I could make a snarky comment about this or dis this guy, but...he did that to himself. I have nothing to say here.

 

please do

Alright...ummm...you know what, seriously, what the shit? Seriously, though, I don't know which is worse here--that the man was really convinced that easily that porn was a sin--if thats the case, we're ALL dead meat, you got that?--or that god, who has sent people to hell for saying "god damn it", is gonna forgive him that easily. BS? No amount of shit can describe this injustice.

I don't have the time to cater to your religious beliefs. Its much less time consuming to simply mock them, and, on occasion, give a reasonable explanation as to why I do so. But that's if I'm in a good mood.


Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
Sapient's picture
Posts: 7522
Joined: 2006-04-18
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote:sheesh.

Hambydammit wrote:

sheesh.  I can't think of anything constructive to say about that.  Have a nice day and try not to look at any boobies... or something.

 

Kellym78 Kelly O' Connor tits boob breasts

- Brian Sapient


Buy popular atheist books and support the Rational Response Squad at the same time on Amazon.


Cory_The_Ration...
Posts: 50
Joined: 2009-02-12
User is offlineOffline
How would you reply to this

How would you reply to this Lord Of The Atheists?

Damn.

 

Jesus himself would get an erection from those luscious titties

 


Cory_The_Ration...
Posts: 50
Joined: 2009-02-12
User is offlineOffline
How would you reply to this

How would you reply to this Lord Of The Atheists?

Damn.

 

Jesus himself would get an erection from those luscious titties

 


Vastet
atheistBloggerHigh Level ModeratorSuperfan
Vastet's picture
Posts: 10497
Joined: 2006-12-25
User is onlineOnline
And this is why you don't

And this is why you don't masturbate while posting on the net. You end up with double posts. Tsk tsk.

Proud Canadian, Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.


fgneibarger
fgneibarger's picture
Posts: 18
Joined: 2009-02-17
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:And this is why

Vastet wrote:

And this is why you don't masturbate while posting on the net. You end up with double posts. Tsk tsk.

OH! He caught you, Cory. Tsk tsk.

I don't have the time to cater to your religious beliefs. Its much less time consuming to simply mock them, and, on occasion, give a reasonable explanation as to why I do so. But that's if I'm in a good mood.


Ivon
atheist
Ivon's picture
Posts: 89
Joined: 2009-02-15
User is offlineOffline
Cory_The_Rational_Dude

Cory_The_Rational_Dude wrote:


 

b) (Proverbs 23:7) "For as he thinketh in his heart, so is he..."



I’m all for living a decent non-criminal life. You know, by not killing people or stealing or anything, but the one thing that really irks me about the religious view, it that whole “you thought it, you done it” part. Wow, if thinking about stealing is just the same as stealing then it’s no wonder they deem everyone a sinner. So here’s my porn question. Since I get lustful thoughts when ever I stare at a beautiful woman whether she’s in a dress suit or a dominatrix outfit, what does it matter whether or not I watch porn? A sin is a sin is a sin.

 

Perfect example: a few months ago, LeAnn Rimes was on the box of Kellogg’s Corn Flakes. Now I don’t know if any of you have seen LeAnn’s box, but let me tell you, she was hot! So there I was one morning with milk dribbling down my chin just staring at LeAnn’s box thinking of all the dirty things I wanted to do once I was done with that bowl of cereal. Ask any Christian, and they’ll tell you that as my tummy filled with corn crunchy goodness, my heart had filled with sin. Porn, billboards, magazine ads, simply meeting a girl you find cute, a sin is a sin is a sin.

 

Now the moral of this story if it were to have one, would be this. Why should I avoid the wonderful world of exotic documentary and sexual aids when I get the same strikes against me for not buying Malto-Meal?

 

Free your mind.


neptewn
Silver Member
neptewn's picture
Posts: 296
Joined: 2007-06-25
User is offlineOffline
Drug of Choice

I spent many years around drug addicts. My family was riddled with them, and one thing I know is they often house multiple addictions. For example giving up heroin only to discover an underlying alcohol addiction. Yes, this guy shedding his addiction to porn only achieves in advertising his opiatic dependency on religion. He has just changed his drug of choice...

 

Your mind will answer most questions if you learn to relax and wait for the answer. - William S. Burroughs


Todd Pence
Todd Pence's picture
Posts: 9
Joined: 2007-06-24
User is offlineOffline
A couple of months ago, I

A couple of months ago, I posted the following comments on another RRS discussion board. They are applicable here as well, so I am reposting them.

 

 Pornography has long been one of conservative fundamentalist Christianity's favorite scapegoats in public discourse. It is also an example of one of that brand of religion's most egregious examples of projecting (i.e. attributing one's own faults and shortcomings to another). To wit:

 

1. Religious fundamentalists claim that pornography fosters an unhealthy or unnatural attitude towards sex. In reality, it is religion and its influence on our culture that is primarily responsible for such attitudes.

 

2. Religious fundamentalists claim that pornography denigrates and degrades women. In reality, it is religious doctrines and traditional attitudes that do so.

 

3. Religious fundamentalists claim that pornography interferes with a male's ability to have a normal, fulfilling relationship with a real live woman. Really. How many virile young priests or monks have taken vows of celibacy?

 

4. Religious fundamentalists claim that pornography causes intense, debilitating feelings of guilt to those who use it. These guilt feelings exist precisely and only because they are instilled by the religion-based attitudes toward sex.

 

5. Religious fundamentalists claim that pornography is responsible for the development of sexual perversions, deviances, and even to sex crimes such as rape. In reality, it is the repression fostered by the religious attitudes toward sex that cause such things to fester. The epidemic of catholic priests who have been revealed to be child-molesters is ample evidence of this.


WBFL
Posts: 37
Joined: 2008-03-09
User is offlineOffline
Sounds to me like someone

Sounds to me like someone who cannot deal with his own problems.

Have you done the same for every sin in your life, eating is just as bad you know

Knowledge is power
Power leads to corruption
Corrution leads to crime
Crime doesn't pay
So if you study you'll go broke.


Anonymous17 (not verified)
Posts: 4294964979
Joined: 1969-12-31
User is offlineOffline
theism

I have a couple of questions. I hear plenty of people say that they don't believe in a god but I have never heard a good set of scientific facts supporting their views. Could some people provide this please? I am curious as to why you believe there is no god.

Also, this site (from what I have seen) seems to be just trying to get theist's to become angry and start posting which you then tear apart with (from what I see) a whole bunch of scientific babble which sounds a lot like art critiques just pulling shit out of their asses (maybe I just haven't read enough though).

 

Sorry, I'm not trying to be a troll, just want some actual answers.


Louis_Cypher
BloggerSuperfan
Louis_Cypher's picture
Posts: 529
Joined: 2008-03-22
User is offlineOffline
Intra Anal Canial Impaction

Anonymous17 wrote:

I have a couple of questions. I hear plenty of people say that they don't believe in a god but I have never heard a good set of scientific facts supporting their views. Could some people provide this please? I am curious as to why you believe there is no god.

Also, this site (from what I have seen) seems to be just trying to get theist's to become angry and start posting which you then tear apart with (from what I see) a whole bunch of scientific babble which sounds a lot like art critiques just pulling shit out of their asses (maybe I just haven't read enough though).

 

Sorry, I'm not trying to be a troll, just want some actual answers.

The notion that an invisible, intangible sentient being with magical powers 'somehow' caused the universe to come into existence is by no means the DEFAULT position. Thus 'no god' becomes the default.

Invisible, intangible and magical beings in and of themselves are an extraordinary claim, thus require extraordinary evidence.

Complexity, size or beauty, do not become evidence of invisible, intangible beings, no matter how much you wish it.

No, we can't prove what happened in the initial expansion of the universe from a point (or field, ala Hawking)... but you can't either. Since there is no evidence for magic or supernature, there is no reason to suppose that the Universe came about by magical or supernatural means.

No, we can't show the exact steps of abiogenisis, all we know for an absolute certainty is that evolution is a fact of nature, and thus far, Darwin's Theory of how evolution works is the best we have. Again, no evidence or reason to presume a supernatural cause.

The opinions of a small group of bronze age savages are not evidence. Their myths and folk tales are no better than any other group of savages and primitives spinning yarns to explain a world they didn't understand.

Virgins do not give birth. It takes a load of active semen and a fertile egg joining to produce an offspring.

Miracles are the least likely explanation for any phenomena.

Water to wine sounds like a cheap trick, miraculous cures are claimed and debunked all the time.

Unless you live in Canada, you aren't going to walk on water and from my personal experience with over 600 post mortim procedures, I can testify that a body that has lain around for 1.5 days will be in full rigor, all fluids will have settled to the lowest parts of the body, the skin will be blueish gray and marbled or black, depending on climate.

That body will NOT get up and push a rock anywhere. Further, that body will not fly off into the air.

I'm an Atheist because I simply do not believe a god exists.
I don't need to scientifically prove it any more than I need to waste lab time and space disproving fairies.

If you believe the extraordinary notion that an invisible, intangible being with magical powers exists in an alternative dimension and can use it's magic to control and effect change in the material universe then YOU are the one who needs to show proof, not I.

 

LC >;-}>

 

Christianity: A disgusting middle eastern blood cult, based in human sacrifice, with sacraments of cannibalism and vampirism, whose highest icon is of a near naked man hanging in torment from a device of torture.


cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
Posts: 3330
Joined: 2007-01-05
User is offlineOffline
Anonymous17 wrote:I have a

Anonymous17 wrote:

I have a couple of questions. I hear plenty of people say that they don't believe in a god but I have never heard a good set of scientific facts supporting their views. Could some people provide this please? I am curious as to why you believe there is no god.

Also, this site (from what I have seen) seems to be just trying to get theist's to become angry and start posting which you then tear apart with (from what I see) a whole bunch of scientific babble which sounds a lot like art critiques just pulling shit out of their asses (maybe I just haven't read enough though).

 

Sorry, I'm not trying to be a troll, just want some actual answers.

 

Assuming you are not a drive by ---

Please sign up for a real account and then the mods don't have to approve your every post.

First off - I have yet to see a speck of evidence for a god/s/dess.  No prayers are answered except for those by random chance.  When was the last time someone prayed for world peace and what did it get them?  Or a new Mercedes?  And how can people be okay with god/s/dess "answering" the prayers of one person and not another?  Shit happens - to good and bad people.  And really good things happen to good and bad people.  It is random.

And - there is nothing in this world that is perfect.  Not you, me, birds, trees, etc.  We are all good enough to survive and reproduce, but we are far from perfect.

And - no miracle healing that is unexplained by science.  Even the young person in Arizona who recently came out of his coma.  The doctor was wondering why he wasn't conscious yet as his brain seemed to be functioning just fine.  The doctor was not surprised when the young man woke up.  Show me a miracle healing - a real one.  You know, amputated limbs growing back, someone healed of MS or Cystic Fibrosis or Type I diabetes.  Then, be patient while I look for the research physician behind the curtain.

There no sign of ultimate good in the world.  There was a 5 year old girl sold by her mother for a drug debt.  November 2009 in North Carolina.  You can look up the news reports if you want.  The baby was raped and then strangled to death.  Just what kind of benevolent god/s/dess lets that happen?  How does that benefit anyone, especially that little girl?  If you try to tell me it was for her own good, you are dead meat.  No baby needs to be tortured to death.

There are people who attempt to do good and some even succeed.  But the good people are of all faiths and of no faith.  There are good people in this world and bad.  Sucks sometimes in a random fashion.

So, until said god/s/dess gets off their lazy butt and actually does some good in this world, shows me some sort of superpowers, I will choose to not believe in their existence.  I grew out of the need for imaginary friends a long time ago.  I prefer the real, warm, existence of my real, actual, loving friends.  You know, those who can give me hug and offer to make dinner.  Those kind of friends.

As for science.  If it is babble to you, you need to start reading.  Even watching PBS, Animal Planet, and so on can be a start.  Most of us post links to articles - even if it is just Wiki.  Wiki is not a bad source as long as the article is well footnoted and has plenty of non-Wiki references.  You know, research papers and such.  I don't have to struggle through an entire article to know that if it was published by Nature, Science, Pubmed or any other peer reviewed journal, it is probably safe to say it is the latest information we have on the subject.

Science and technology is how you can be typing on the computer and posting your opinion via the internet.  It can't be a huge waste of time or humans would never have managed to learn how to control fire.  The control of fire was our first, great, technological achievement.  We have come a long way since then.

 

-- I feel so much better since I stopped trying to believe.

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

"If death isn't sweet oblivion, I will be severely disappointed" - Ruth M.