The Ambivalent Sexism Inventory

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
The Ambivalent Sexism Inventory

When looking at another topic, I found this survey

Just take this short survey, it takes like 5 minutes.

http://www.understandingprejudice.org/index.php?section=asi&action=takeSurvey

My score:

Hostile Sexism Score: 3.27
Benevolent Sexism Score: 1.09

Apperently I score way higher than the average female [or male for that matter] on Hostile but way lower than average on Benevolent.

RatDog
atheist
User is offlineOffline
My score wasHostile Sexism

My score was

Hostile Sexism Score:  2.36
Benevolent Sexism Score: 1.55

greek goddess
Rational VIP!Science Freak
greek goddess's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hostile Sexism Score: 3.09

Benevolent Sexism Score: 0.45

I'm sort of similar to you Pineapple... I'm higher than the average woman or man for hostile, but wayyy lower for benevolent. Ok, so the second part means that I reject traditional gender roles, which is generally true for me. But my high hostile sexism score means that I loathe career women? That doesn't make much sense, since I pretty much am a career woman. I just don't think it's fair to make special concessions for people based on whether they have a penis or vagina. Somehow that translates into being against women in the workplace? I wonder if there's maybe a more thorough explanation somewhere on the site...

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 I can't take that test

I can't take that test honestly.  Many of the questions assume a worldview I don't hold.  For instance, #11 reads: "Women seek to gain power by getting control over men. "

Well, duh.  Of course they do.  Men seek to gain power by getting control over women, too.  Humans seek to gain power by getting control over humans.  It's not wrong or right.  It just is.  What that question wants me to address is whether women are consciously and willingly trying to do bad things to men by manipulating and controlling them, but I can't really do that since I don't believe in free will and I don't view morality as an absolute or manipulation as necessarily wrong.

In short, this test presumes its own model of hostile and benevolent sexism, and I don't share that presumption.  I'm not going to present my model of sexism because, well, that would be a chapter in a book.

In any case, I scored 2.36 on hostile and 1.18 on benevolent, but I'll go ahead and tell you why my results are skewed.  I answered "3" for all the questions I felt I couldn't answer as they were asked, so those answers weren't really answers, but placeholders.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
 I couldn't take the test,

I couldn't take the test, either. It was asking me questions that I couldn't answer on a scale. Some of them didn't even make any sense. How am I supposed to know if "all women" do one thing or another. As Hamby said, there are certainly women who try to gain power by manipulating men, but that statement applies to people in general. There are also men who do that to men, and women who do that to women.

I realize that it's an opinion poll, not a legitimate study, but that shit makes my skin crawl.

Saint Will: no gyration without funkstification.
fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

Renee Obsidianwords
High Level DonorModeratorRRS local affiliate
Renee Obsidianwords's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hostile Sexism Score:

Benevolent Sexism Score: 1.64

*shrugs

Slowly building a blog at ~

http://obsidianwords.wordpress.com/

DamnDirtyApe
Silver Member
DamnDirtyApe's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Shades of David Brent from

Shades of David Brent from the UK version of The Office, in the "formally prescribed acceptable thinking for the modern workplace" sense of the thing.  I couldn't finish the quiz.

"The whole conception of God is a conception derived from ancient Oriental despotisms. It is a conception quite unworthy of free men."
--Bertrand Russell

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
0.0 and 0.0 Man, picking

0.0 and 0.0

Man, picking the right anwers on that survey was waay too easy.

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Quote:0.0 and 0.0 Man,

Quote:
0.0 and 0.0

CHEATER CHEATER PUMPKIN EATER!!!

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

Books about atheism

anniet
Silver Member
User is offlineOffline
Kevin R Brown wrote:0.0 and

Kevin R Brown wrote:

0.0 and 0.0

I'm with Kevin on this one as I got 0.73 and 0.00.  They didn't even try to make subtle questions. 

"I am that I am." - Proof that the writers of the bible were beyond stoned.

Zymotic
Superfan
Zymotic's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hostile Sexism Score: 1.91

Hostile Sexism Score: 1.91
Benevolent Sexism Score: 0.36

I'm in an absolutely awful mood, so I was probably a little more hostile than I normally am.

My Brand New Blog - Jesu Ad Nauseum.
God of the Gaps: As knowledge approaches infinity, God approaches zero. It's introductory calculus.

peppermint
Superfan
peppermint's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hmmm, these questions are

Hmmm, these questions are kind of ambiguous. For example, the first one asks about a man's worth depending on having a woman to love him. But I interpret that many ways. Love could be romantic, familial or friendly...

Also, "In a disaster, women ought not necessarily to be rescued before men" What about...it depends on age, circumstances, etc. ALL THESE DEPEND ON THE SITUATION.

But okay, anyway...

Hostile Sexism Score: 0.36
Benevolent Sexism Score: 1.45

*Our world is far more complex than the rigid structure we want to assign to it, and we will probably never fully understand it.*

"Those believers who are sophisticated enough to understand the paradox have found exciting ways to bend logic into pretzel shapes in order to defend the indefensible." - Hamby

peppermint
Superfan
peppermint's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote: I can't

Hambydammit wrote:

I can't take that test honestly.  Many of the questions assume a worldview I don't hold.  For instance, #11 reads: "Women seek to gain power by getting control over men. "

Well, duh.  Of course they do.  Men seek to gain power by getting control over women, too.  Humans seek to gain power by getting control over humans.  It's not wrong or right.  It just is.  What that question wants me to address is whether women are consciously and willingly trying to do bad things to men by manipulating and controlling them, but I can't really do that since I don't believe in free will and I don't view morality as an absolute or manipulation as necessarily wrong.

In short, this test presumes its own model of hostile and benevolent sexism, and I don't share that presumption.  I'm not going to present my model of sexism because, well, that would be a chapter in a book.

In any case, I scored 2.36 on hostile and 1.18 on benevolent, but I'll go ahead and tell you why my results are skewed.  I answered "3" for all the questions I felt I couldn't answer as they were asked, so those answers weren't really answers, but placeholders.

That's exactly what bothered me about the test. Wow, I got the lowest scores.

*Our world is far more complex than the rigid structure we want to assign to it, and we will probably never fully understand it.*

"Those believers who are sophisticated enough to understand the paradox have found exciting ways to bend logic into pretzel shapes in order to defend the indefensible." - Hamby

Nikolaj
Superfan
Nikolaj's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hostile: 1.82Benevolent:

Hostile: 1.82

Benevolent: 1.64

I was completely honest in all my answers, but I'm with Hamby and Will that the questions are unanswerable unless you hold the right world view.

For example, if I feel like I am incomplete without a woman in my life, but I don't think this does apply, or should apply to all men, so how do I answer the questions about men needing a woman in their lives?

It's what I feel, not what I think.

Answer with your feelings Nikolaj, because this is a psychology survey, and sexism is something that one feels.

Well, if I meet a selfactualized man, that's truly happy without a woman, then I don't feel at all like there is something wrong with him, and yet I myself feel like I would be more happy with the love of a good woman.

Sexism is about your expectations of other people, so I answer disagree on that, but not completely disagree, because after all, I do feel that way about myself.

Basically, I can't be sexist, because I don't expect men or women to behave a certain way. I expect the people I know to behave a certain way.

So if my brother's wife all of a sudden started staying at home with the kids, and cooking dinner, I'd feel like there was something wrong with her because I know her, and I know how much her career means to her.

And if my brother started working all day and never seeing his kids, and never cooking, I'd worry about him, because that is so not who he is. He lives for his family: everything else is just gravy.

But I know more "traditionally" minded people too, and if they changed their behavior dramatically like that, I would feel like there was something wrong too.

I couldn't help but think, for example, about the gay people I know, when I read questions like: "a person is not truly happy without a member of the opposite sex in their lives"

Well, some straight people may not be truly happy without a significant other, but gays are only truly happy because they don't have a member of the opposite sex in their lives.

Point is, much like Steven Colbert doesn't see race, I don't see gender.

I just see people.

People tell me I'm a man, and I believe them because I fart in public Eye-wink

Well I was born an original sinner
I was spawned from original sin
And if I had a dollar bill for all the things I've done
There'd be a mountain of money piled up to my chin

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 I had to jump through some

I had to jump through some remarkable hoops to answer those questions.  For each one, I had to think, "If I were a less informed version of myself, what would I think about this question?"  I was trying honestly to get to "the real me" but it was just too much pretzel logic on some of the questions, so I just answered 3 on them in the vain hope that 3 means ambivalence.

Books about atheism

anniet
Silver Member
User is offlineOffline
Nikolaj wrote: For example,

Nikolaj wrote:

For example, if I feel like I am incomplete without a woman in my life, but I don't think this does apply, or should apply to all men, so how do I answer the questions about men needing a woman in their lives?

One more thing I forgot to mention earlier - I don't think the people making this test thought of homosexuals.  While fag hags seem to be a nice accessory, I don't think they're absolutely necessary for gay guys.  Do let me know if I'm wrong.

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hostile Sexism Score:

Hostile Sexism Score: 5.00

What do I win?

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hostile Sexism Score: 1.18

Hostile Sexism Score: 1.18
Benevolent Sexism Score: 1.36 

Quote:

Is that, a real score?

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

The Doomed Soul
atheist
The Doomed Soul's picture
User is offlineOffline
Answers in Gene Simmons

Answers in Gene Simmons wrote:

What do I win?

Sensetivity Seminar?

edit; i know, i know... im one to talk, right? >.>

What Would Kharn Do?

Wonderist
atheist
Wonderist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hostile Sexism Score: 

Hostile Sexism Score:  1.73
Benevolent Sexism Score: 1.09

I found the survey to be rather 'sexist'. They define 'sexism' as: negative feelings toward women; a knight-in-shining armor ideology that offers protection and affection to women who conform to traditional gender roles. What about negative feelings toward *men*? Or an ideology about traditional *male* gender roles?

This would be like a survey about racism that solely focused on racism towards 'blacks'. The hidden assumptions are glaringly obvious, like a cat hiding under the rug.

Also, like others, I found the questions ambiguous and misleading.

And what do questions about 'feminists' have to do with sexism? What if the feminists of the world really *were* out for power and made unreasonable demands on men? Would it make me sexist to point this hypocrisy out?

The survey assumes what it presumes to investigate.

Wonderist on Facebook — Support the idea of wonderism by 'liking' the Wonderism page — or join the open Wonderism group to take part in the discussion!

Gnu Atheism Facebook group — All gnu-friendly RRS members welcome (including Luminon!) — Try something gnu!

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Yeah, it might as well

Yeah, it might as well ask

"Are you aware you're a sexist pig?"

I don't think you can say anything without being labeled a sexist, racist, homophobic bigot these days

Anyway, I'll be in the kitchen.

greek goddess
Rational VIP!Science Freak
greek goddess's picture
User is offlineOffline
natural wrote:And what do

natural wrote:

And what do questions about 'feminists' have to do with sexism? What if the feminists of the world really *were* out for power and made unreasonable demands on men? Would it make me sexist to point this hypocrisy out?

Yeah, I agree - it's a poorly written survey. While I am quite supportive of my fellow woman, and always love to see women make strides in traditionally male roles, I do think the feminist movement has gotten out of hand in the past. During the peak of the movement (burning bras, etc.) it was almost as though they were advocating a role reversal - which would lead to the dominance of women over men. And in fact, many feminists even today advocate making special exceptions for women to "equal things out," and still seem to want to blame today's men for setting up a patriarchal society centuries ago. I don't necessarily agree with this, and thus I don't label myself as a feminist, but rather as egalitarian. My answer on the survey reflected this, but could have been - and probably was - miscontrued to mean that I am against womens' progress.

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 I think one of the

I think one of the problems with sexism is that there are real differences between the sexes, and they can never be truly equal in many ways.

For example, when I owned a bar, I always put a good looking male bartender behind the bar that was visible from outside.  Why?  Because good looking male bartenders attract females, and a bar with more females than malesattracts more customers, both male and female.  Women keep coming in because the bartender's hot, and men keep coming in because there are lots of girls.  On the other hand, if you put a hot female bartender near the door, a dozen men come in and turn the bar into a giant sausage party.  Groups of girls aren't interested in going into a bar with just men.  They don't want to immediately be hit on because they're the only girls.  Men are also not interested in going into bars with just men.  So, your crowd stops building on itself, and you have a shitty sales day.

That policy is clearly sexist, as I was favoring one sex over the other for a particular job, and it was to my advantage to do so.  But isn't it also to the advantage of all the bartenders that the bar be as full as possible?  The placement of the male near the door is a positive move for all the employees, but it is based on gender inequality.  Am I a sexist for that?

Is it sexist to promote a male to regional sales manager because I know that the only qualified female is planning on having a baby soon and won't be able to work for several months, and won't have as flexible a schedule after the baby is born?  Maybe it is, but is it unreasonable?

That's the thing.  Many feminists treat the word sexism as if it a universal bad word.  It's not.  Differentiating between sexes and treating them differently can be good, neutral, or bad.  If I'm walking down a sidewalk with my frail petite girlfriend, and she is consistently getting jostled about by people walking the opposite direction, is it wrong for me to switch places with her so that she is walking next to the wall, and I am now in a position of shielding her from physical harm?  Should I refuse to be sexist and insist that she continue walking where she is and just suck it up?  Doesn't the answer to this question depend on what she thinks is appropriate, and not what some feminist ideology proclaims?

Books about atheism

DamnDirtyApe
Silver Member
DamnDirtyApe's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote: I think

Hambydammit wrote:

I think one of the problems with sexism is that there are real differences between the sexes, and they can never be truly equal in many ways.

For example, when I owned a bar, I always put a good looking male bartender behind the bar that was visible from outside.  Why?  Because good looking male bartenders attract females, and a bar with more females than malesattracts more customers, both male and female.  Women keep coming in because the bartender's hot, and men keep coming in because there are lots of girls.  On the other hand, if you put a hot female bartender near the door, a dozen men come in and turn the bar into a giant sausage party.  Groups of girls aren't interested in going into a bar with just men.  They don't want to immediately be hit on because they're the only girls.  Men are also not interested in going into bars with just men.  So, your crowd stops building on itself, and you have a shitty sales day.

That policy is clearly sexist, as I was favoring one sex over the other for a particular job, and it was to my advantage to do so.  But isn't it also to the advantage of all the bartenders that the bar be as full as possible?  The placement of the male near the door is a positive move for all the employees, but it is based on gender inequality.  Am I a sexist for that?

Is it sexist to promote a male to regional sales manager because I know that the only qualified female is planning on having a baby soon and won't be able to work for several months, and won't have as flexible a schedule after the baby is born?  Maybe it is, but is it unreasonable?

That's the thing.  Many feminists treat the word sexism as if it a universal bad word.  It's not.  Differentiating between sexes and treating them differently can be good, neutral, or bad.  If I'm walking down a sidewalk with my frail petite girlfriend, and she is consistently getting jostled about by people walking the opposite direction, is it wrong for me to switch places with her so that she is walking next to the wall, and I am now in a position of shielding her from physical harm?  Should I refuse to be sexist and insist that she continue walking where she is and just suck it up?  Doesn't the answer to this question depend on what she thinks is appropriate, and not what some feminist ideology proclaims?

Please don't mention the bar.  I miss that place so much.  I used to get so fucking drunk there...

"The whole conception of God is a conception derived from ancient Oriental despotisms. It is a conception quite unworthy of free men."
--Bertrand Russell

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple wrote:Anyway,

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

Anyway, I'll be in the kitchen.

Make me a sandwich while you're in there, and get me a beer.

Saint Will: no gyration without funkstification.
fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

anniet
Silver Member
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote: Is it

Hambydammit wrote:

It is unreasonable if you are just making assumptions and have not talked to her about her changing circumstances.  You don't know that she will be the primary caregiver for the child and how that will affect her work capabilities unless you ask.  And you need to do the same for anyone whose partner is about to give birth.  It would also be a good time to reevaluate the expectations of the job and make sure they are something 1 person can do and still have a life.  Neither men nor women should have to be slaves to their company and give up whatever it is outside of work that they enjoy in order to work 60 hours a week forever.  Bad capitalist!

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Quote:It is unreasonable

Quote:
It is unreasonable if you are just making assumptions and have not talked to her about her changing circumstances.

It would be... umm... sexist... wouldn't it, to presume that the male boss didn't talk to his female employee before making the decision, would it not?

I know you're just playing devil's advocate, and I'm not trying to give you a hard time.  I'm just trying to show you that we're all sexist.  Consider the impact that feminism has had on the scenario I mentioned.  Suppose I am the boss of a small company, and I need to promote someone to regional manager.  I have only two candidates who have the qualifications -- a man and a woman.  I have heard from her own lips that the woman plans on becoming a parent very soon, and since she's worked for me for a long time, I also know that she loves the idea of raising children, and that her husband is a workaholic.

In a perfect world, I would feel morally compelled to talk to her, tell her that she was in line for the promotion, and ask her thoughtful questions about whether or not her parenting would interfere with her ability to do the job precisely as effectively as the other candidate, who is childless and unmarried (or at the very least, has never shown any compulsion for putting family over work).

In the real world, I realize that if I even mention her as a candidate, and then for whatever reason opt for the man instead, I am potentially setting myself up for a discrimination lawsuit, and with the economy like it is, I can't afford to even consult a lawyer, much less engage in a lengthy suit and pay back wages to someone I didn't want to promote in the first place for a reason other than the one I'm being sued for!  (Remember, bringing a suit is easy.  Tying it up in court is easy.  Winning, maybe not, but just the threat of it is a major deterrent for bosses.)

The safe thing, of course, is for me not to even consider her as a candidate.  If I simply manipulate the work environment so that the man has the best qualifications by the time I make the decision, I'm in the clear.  Sure, the woman will probably notice what I've been doing, but there will be no way to prove that I did it preemptively to prevent her being considered for promotion.  She'll know I'm discriminating, and I'll know I'm discriminating, but legally, she will have no recourse.

So, the legal system, by putting measures in place to prevent discrimination, has encouraged it in at least some cases.  (Be careful not to read too much into what I'm saying.  I'm not suggesting that we do away with laws promoting equality in the work place.  I'm pointing out the problems with the ones we have.)

The thing is, and this is what I was saying earlier, there are sex differences.  It's fine to talk about what an awesome world it would be if men and women were equally willing and equally expected by society to raise children in a utopian frenzy of love and happiness, but that's not the way humans work.  Men's brains really are different than women's brains.  No matter how much you promote the concept of equality, if you show me a group of a thousand twenty five year old childless women and a group of a thousand twenty five year old childless men, I'll show you a group of nine hundred ninety men who are going to be working full time at thirty five, and perhaps six hundred or so women who will be balancing a scaled down career against motherhood.

You read my piece on designing arms races, right, Anniet?  You know that the human workplace is part of the arms race, where men compete with each other for status so they can impress females.  If we are to have a hope of creating as much equality as possible (I really can't fathom how total equality is possible) we must find a way of acknowledging that businesses themselves are competitors, and if you're going to enforce anything less than open market competition, you must account for the fact that the overall effect on individual businesses will be negative!

(Again, don't call me a capitalist pig.  I'm not advocating unregulated market economies.  I'm elucidating the problem with trying to enforce regulated economies.)  Listen, I'm the first to admit that I'd love to work twenty hours a week and have plenty of leisure time.  Hey, if I'm able to do that, and still have enough money to live comfortably, what a catch I'll be for the ladies, right? (See... competition.  Arms races.)  The thing is, ladies get tired of eating at the Olive Garden when their men are only working twenty hours a week.  "Gee, honey, why don't you put in another few hours so we can get that new car, or we can take a trip to New York and eat at Anthony Bourdain's old restaurant?"  Good enough isn't good enough because we're not logical creatures.  We're competitors in an evolutionary landscape, and any attempt to regulate this fact is an attempt to regulate evolution.  It's not impossible, of course.  It's just an uphill battle all the way, and if we lie to ourselves about what we're really regulating, we have little or no hope of getting it right.

Books about atheism

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
No "neutral" selection, I

No "neutral" selection, I can't take the test. At least, not honestly.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

anniet
Silver Member
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote: Quote:It

Hambydammit wrote:

Quote:
It is unreasonable if you are just making assumptions and have not talked to her about her changing circumstances.

It would be... umm... sexist... wouldn't it, to presume that the male boss didn't talk to his female employee before making the decision, would it not?

Actually, I think that would be along the lines of classist more than anything.  At least that's what I was going for.  I am glad you could see that I'm just going for a devil's advocate situation here. 

You do make valid points regarding how sexism can actually be a rational position in some situations.  What I am trying to note is how a portion of the negative aspects of capitalism can turn rational sexism into something irrational in the workplace.  While I think that you personally probably are not going to make decisions regarding your employees based purely on assumptions, plenty of business owners and managers do.  In those cases there are unreasonable decisions being made due to sexism.  And this is something that occurs in the real world far too often still. 

I purposely did not use a strong term like "capitalist pig" as it was not my intention to insult you, just to show some of the limits and pitfalls of the argument you gave.  Please do reread my previous post with a friendly, smiling, slightly chiding tone as that is what I was trying for.  Sorry for what made you think otherwise.

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Quote:I purposely did not

Quote:
I purposely did not use a strong term like "capitalist pig" as it was not my intention to insult you, just to show some of the limits and pitfalls of the argument you gave.  Please do reread my previous post with a friendly, smiling, slightly chiding tone as that is what I was trying for.  Sorry for what made you think otherwise.

Not at all.  I wasn't in the least insulted.  I guess I could have put a smiley in there somewhere.  Basically I was trying to demonstrate that the label of sexism doesn't really line up with the reality of sexism.

Yes, there is sexism in the workplace, but no, it's not all "bad sexism" and some of it is quite functional.  Sexism is not an evil of humanity.  It's part of the dynamic process of the evolutionary arms race.  As such, you're never going to erase it.  Like every ingrained human instinct, it must be directed.

In other words, we can hope to encourage bosses to use their best employees without arbitrarily favoring one sex over another, but we can't hope to stop bosses from using sex as a determining factor in all decisions, as in the practice of putting males next to the door in bars.  Some decisions really do have something practical to do with sex.

From another very real point of view, the well informed boss in our example would not be "sexist" in the worst sense of the word for choosing the male to be regional sales manager.  If the woman did indeed plan to have a child, and did hope to be able to be significantly involved in the childrearing, she is NOT the best candidate for the job.  That is neither the fault of her, nor the boss.  It is the reality of the job description.  The fact that she is female is irrelevant.  The fact that she anticipates having less time and energy to devote to work makes her less desirable.  The reasons are extraneous.

So, I guess what I'm saying is that it is a false premise that "sexism is bad."  Certain incidents of sexism -- those that are arbitrary except for sex -- are certainly something to avoid, but until we ditch the stigma attached to the word itself and start examining our interactions in terms of the reality of gender relations, not the normative prescriptions of non-scientists, we're not going to get far.

Books about atheism

Dennis Castanares (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
Survey

0.82 on both scores, but the questions seriously need improvement and more gradation.

Luminon
SuperfanTheist
Luminon's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hostile Sexism Score: 1.09

Hostile Sexism Score: 1.09
Benevolent Sexism Score: 2.73

It's true, I prefer benevolent sexism ( courtesy ) because it feels right, but it probably only shows how little I know about women Smiling

Beings who deserve worship don't demand it. Beings who demand worship don't deserve it.

Marquis
atheist
Marquis's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hostile Sexism Score: 4.55

Hostile Sexism Score: 4.55
Benevolent Sexism Score: 2.64

Is that good or bad? Or is it just veeeeeery funky?

"The idea of God is the sole wrong for which I cannot forgive mankind." (Alphonse Donatien De Sade)

http://www.kinkspace.com

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
The title of this thread is

The title of this thread is reminiscent of Big Bang Theory episode titles. lol.
Since it's been dragged up again, and I have nothing better to do...
Hostile Sexism Score: 2.09
Benevolent Sexism Score: 0.27

Barely above the average female on hostile, and apparently so far off both sexes on benevolent as to make me invisible. However, there were a couple questions I didn't really have an opinion on, and was forced to take one side or another as there was no abstain option.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yeah - it's a bit directional...

Hostile 1.55

Benevolent 2.64

I got around some of my problems by strongly agreeing men could be complete without women and strongly agreeing men couldn't be complete without women.

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck