A bunch of crap that doesn't really matter to anyone

Brion
Brion's picture
User is offlineOffline
A bunch of crap that doesn't really matter to anyone

Hey all, been awhile since I've last posted.  To all those who remember my last topic I have been doing great.  And I thank each and everyone of you who had some good advice for me.  As another thank you I'd like to tell you about my thoughts, because I always I always come to you guys for answers, not giving any advice to you guys.

Now, these are my thoughts, and obviously aren't going to impact any new evidence to anything but I feel I need to get something off my chest and maybe it will spark some new thoughts in your heads.

So, first things first.

Christianity

They say he loves everyone of us.  Gives us free will, and loves us for who we are.  He's also all knowing.  Wouldn't an all knowing god know that I would become an atheist? And yet he's still going to send me to hell because I chose the wrong answer even though I have the free will to do whatever I want (within reason).  Somehow that doesn't seem right.

Homosexuality

I see no problem with Gays.  This also touches with religion.  God would know that they would be gay, yet he hates them anyway.  Not so much of a loving god anymore.  I don't see the need to hate gays.  It seems like straight guys would be glad there's gay people in the world.  Guys getting married or being together with other guys just means more girls for the straight guys.  And how come gay men get the good amount of hatred but women get little.  Then again that may just be me not noticing it as much with women.

Abortion

I am pro-choice.  But I do not think that abortion should be used as a form of birth control.  Again, this topic is together with religion and also people that think that our lives our planned.  "Getting an abortion is denying this child a life".  Well, could that not be the "child's" life?  To be an aborted "baby"?  And if that's a no.  Then wasn't the mother's life planned? Whoever of whatever planned this girls life must have put in his planner that on that day she would be getting an abortion?

My "theory"

I have no evidence for this theory.  In fact, I probably shouldn't be calling it a theory, but it's definitely a thought.

So, have you ever had that feeling where you'll think of someone and the person you're thinking of will call or text you?  I know I have.  Or another example, You'll go to a parent, friend, or lover, and say 'Hey, let's get some pizza!' and then they go 'Wow I was just thinking that!'? Again, I have.  So my thought is that two or more people think of something in common, our brains link together.

Pet Peeves

I hate guys that think they're all that and better than everyone else. - News flash, you aren't the best, get used to it.

I hate High School girls that date the asshole guys that cheat on them, but they're still together because the asshole apologized or said that he's changed.  - Wake up and smell the roses girls.

I hate the phrase 'Same Difference'.

I hate girls who look at magazine's and think that every guy wants the anorexic girl and then try to become that person. - They don't exist.

I hate people that judge me because of my musical tastes.  I'm guilty of this as well on a few occasions but I still hate it. - People have different interests and likes.

Video Games

This goes more into people that think that violent video games make violent children.  It's bullshit.  I play GTA IV, Saints Row 2, name a violent video game, I've probably played it.  Now, I admit that I have had a few tempers while playing video games, but I don't blame the video games. I blame myself, which is something people don't do anymore.  We always try to blame something else.  Now you're saying well what about School Shootings. They played GTA IV and listened to MM (Marilyn Manson).  Yeah? well so do I.  I haven't shot up a school, I haven't hurt anyone.  In fact when I had my little tempers I only hurt one person.  Myself. . . and a few walls.  These people need to stop blaming material things and look at the person or people.  How do their parents treat them?  What are their parents like? What do they do after school?  Stop blaming the video games and look at their brain / behavior.

That's pretty much it for right now.  Then again I'll probably think of some things to add later in the day.  You can go to my blog named "thoughts of an 18 year old" Trevorwilliams1.blogspot.com

"Give a man a fish, and he'll eat for a day. Give a man a religion, and he'll starve to death praying for fish." - Anonymous
"If God doesn't like the way I live, let him tell me, not you." -Anonymous

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brion wrote:Video GamesThis

Brion wrote:

Video Games

This goes more into people that think that violent video games make violent children.  It's bullshit.  I play GTA IV, Saints Row 2, name a violent video game, I've probably played it.  Now, I admit that I have had a few tempers while playing video games, but I don't blame the video games. I blame myself, which is something people don't do anymore.  We always try to blame something else.  Now you're saying well what about School Shootings. They played GTA IV and listened to MM (Marilyn Manson).  Yeah? well so do I.  I haven't shot up a school, I haven't hurt anyone.  In fact when I had my little tempers I only hurt one person.  Myself. . . and a few walls.  These people need to stop blaming material things and look at the person or people.  How do their parents treat them?  What are their parents like? What do they do after school?  Stop blaming the video games and look at their brain / behavior.

Yes! I feel all warm and fuzzy everytime someone says something like this. Smiling

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

Carpe_Omnis
Carpe_Omnis's picture
User is offlineOffline
 And how come gay men get

And how come gay men get the good amount of hatred but women get little.  Then again that may just be me not noticing it as much with women.

No, it's true that lesbians are in general more accepted in America than gay men. I think the main reason would be that lots of straight men find lesbian sex "hawt."

In fact, I probably shouldn't be calling it a theory, but it's definitely a thought.

Yeah... let's keep this in the "thought" category. XD

I hate High School girls that date the asshole guys that cheat on them, but they're still together because the asshole apologized or said that he's changed.  - Wake up and smell the roses girls.

Solution: graduate from high school.

I hate people that judge me because of my musical tastes.  I'm guilty of this as well on a few occasions but I still hate it. - People have different interests and likes. 

I listen to almost everything, and frequently encounter such bias. So yeah, I agree.

Video Games

All of this is pretty true. But the whole Marilyn Manson/Columbine thing happened like... uh... 423590825 years ago. Surely this isn't a huge controversy anymore. I hope?

Brion
Brion's picture
User is offlineOffline
I have graduated from High

I have graduated from High School, but the fact is that it still happens.  I have friends in high school and so that  is always in my head.

and yeah, Columbine happened awhile ago.  But people still tend to beat the dead horse on this issue because it does come up very often.  In fact there was a "massacre" in Portland, Oregon.  2 people were killed as well as the shooter and right away they found that he played video games.  They later found out he had been depressed for quite some time.

And yes, my thought is extremely insane but meh, it's enough to keep me interested cause it happens to me so often

"Give a man a fish, and he'll eat for a day. Give a man a religion, and he'll starve to death praying for fish." - Anonymous

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Carpe_Omnis wrote: Video

Carpe_Omnis wrote:

Video Games

All of this is pretty true. But the whole Marilyn Manson/Columbine thing happened like... uh... 423590825 years ago. Surely this isn't a huge controversy anymore. I hope?

I wish. But Thompson the fool is still making the rounds. Disbarred or not. It was almost a pre-election issue down there(or whatever you call the race within the parties). Sad

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hello.Brion

Hello.

Brion wrote:

Christianity

They say he loves everyone of us.  Gives us free will, and loves us for who we are.  He's also all knowing.  Wouldn't an all knowing god know that I would become an atheist? And yet he's still going to send me to hell because I chose the wrong answer even though I have the free will to do whatever I want (within reason).  Somehow that doesn't seem right.

It doesn't seem right at all. Certainly, Christians believe that God is omnipotent and desires for us to go to heaven. So, I often pose the question, why can't God grant us free will and make sure everyone goes to heaven?

Quote:
Homosexuality

I see no problem with Gays.  This also touches with religion.  God would know that they would be gay, yet he hates them anyway.  Not so much of a loving god anymore.  I don't see the need to hate gays.

Homosexuality is an abomination, and you need to stone gays to death.

Quote:
It seems like straight guys would be glad there's gay people in the world.  Guys getting married or being together with other guys just means more girls for the straight guys.

Ahahahahahaha! I never thought of that.

Quote:
And how come gay men get the good amount of hatred but women get little.  Then again that may just be me not noticing it as much with women.

Nope, it's not just you; gay men are hated much more than lesbians.

In fact, if you can recall that wise, anonymous quote...how did it go again? Something like, "Gay sex is okay as long as both girls are hot!"

Quote:
Abortion

I am pro-choice.  But I do not think that abortion should be used as a form of birth control.  Again, this topic is together with religion and also people that think that our lives our planned.  "Getting an abortion is denying this child a life".  Well, could that not be the "child's" life?  To be an aborted "baby"?  And if that's a no.  Then wasn't the mother's life planned? Whoever of whatever planned this girls life must have put in his planner that on that day she would be getting an abortion?

Hey, God always wants the baby to be born......except when there's a miscarriage......

Quote:
My "theory"

I have no evidence for this theory.  In fact, I probably shouldn't be calling it a theory, but it's definitely a thought.

So, have you ever had that feeling where you'll think of someone and the person you're thinking of will call or text you?  I know I have.  Or another example, You'll go to a parent, friend, or lover, and say 'Hey, let's get some pizza!' and then they go 'Wow I was just thinking that!'? Again, I have.  So my thought is that two or more people think of something in common, our brains link together.

ESP? Coincidence? Looking for nonexistent patterns?

Quote:
Pet Peeves

I hate guys that think they're all that and better than everyone else. - News flash, you aren't the best, get used to it.

I hate that too, except when the guy is me. I actually am the best, so it's not pretentious.

Quote:

I'm a lot angrier at the asshole guys. I kind of pity those girls, even though they're stupid. 

Quote:
I hate the phrase 'Same Difference'.

Haha.

Quote:
I hate girls who look at magazine's and think that every guy wants the anorexic girl and then try to become that person. - They don't exist.

Well, doesn't every guy want the anorexic girl? Lol.

Quote:

I definitely agree with you on this one. My taste in music is similar to my taste in food. For some reason, I can enjoy almost anything.

Quote:
Video Games

I can't really form a conclusion on this topic unless I examine the research myself. Then, even if a significant link is found between violent video games and aggressive behavior, it would simply be an average. It's not like you can predict whether a person will become a serial killer based on how many hours of GTA they've played.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

Brion
Brion's picture
User is offlineOffline
It would probably be even

It would probably be even less of a percentage than murderers that are Christian, or of some other religious belief.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
To be fair, there have been

To be fair, there have been studies showing that violent games can induce violence within certain persons. However, these studies are identical to those done on music 15-20 years ago, and television as well. Probably books too, though they are the oldest form of media currently available, so I guess they simply outlived the majority of their detractors.

Of course it can. That's why people can so easily believe in religion, people are impressionable. It does not mean that everyone or even a majority of people who are exposed to these kinds of media automatically become more violent. There have not been any studies done, to my knowledge, seeking to find if these people were pre-disposed to violent tendencies in the first place. Or to find if they were more impressionable than the average person. To be frank, not enough information has been garnered to say one way or the other for certain.

Yet there are numerous studies proving that even violent games provide a number of benefits, from greater critical thinking to hand-eye coordination to knowledge of current or past events and or trends. And these studies are very recent, so they've only uncovered the tip of the iceberg.

Thomathy
Superfan
Thomathy's picture
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:...so I guess

Vastet wrote:
...so I guess they simply outlived the majority of their detractors.
Oh, really?  Think about the last time you heard of people trying to get a book banned from school curricula.  Just recently a parent of some student actually managed to get the Toronto Secondary School Board to do a committe review of The Handmaid's Tale and decide upon it's acceptability to be taught, because the parent asks, 'And what about the foul language, the anti-Christian overtones, the violence and sexual degradation.  Don't they violate the Toronto board's policies of respect and tolerance?'

An excellent piece of literature and a great book for literary study being criticised by a parent upset with it's contents.  Look back ~20 years and wonder about the acceptance of homosexual books into Canada.  I don't think books have outlived their detractors.  Far from it.

BigUniverse wrote,

"Well the things that happen less often are more likely to be the result of the supper natural. A thing like loosing my keys in the morning is not likely supper natural, but finding a thousand dollars or meeting a celebrity might be."

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Thomathy wrote:Vastet

Thomathy wrote:

Vastet wrote:
...so I guess they simply outlived the majority of their detractors.

Oh, really?  Think about the last time you heard of people trying to get a book banned from school curricula.

Ah, but in every case of the banning of a book, the book is not banned because it is a book, or even a genre of books(with the sole exception of religious, or in rare cases, legal controversy). It's banned due to it's specific identity. Games are not always viewed even in that way yet. I have encountered many many people over the net and in person who have thought that games are bad, in all shapes and forms. Probably hitting the tens of thousands when referring to violent genres(which includes Super Mario 3's kind of violence). I may have encountered one or two people in my entire life who hated books. And it was simply due to the fact that they couldn't "fall in" to the story in a book, and didn't like non-fiction. They didn't actually have something against books. The closest books come to facing persecution is when they encounter controversy with religion, which is a fight that won't end until religion does. Video games are still fighting much more than religion, they are fighting for recognition as a viable media with a significant part of the population.

Fortunately it's made a lot of headway over the last 20 years. Things aren't nearly as bad as they were when I was a kid. But there's still a long way to go.

nigelTheBold
atheist
nigelTheBold's picture
User is offlineOffline
Thomathy wrote:An excellent

Thomathy wrote:

An excellent piece of literature and a great book for literary study being criticised by a parent upset with it's contents.  Look back ~20 years and wonder about the acceptance of homosexual books into Canada.  I don't think books have outlived their detractors.  Far from it.

Y'know, I wanted to add more. All I came up with was Catcher in the Rye and Naked Lunch. Why is that lame?

I mean, it seems there should be more, but drunk as I am, those are the only two examples. Fuck,  Die Hard was homoerotic, and very mainstream. Why Can't I come up with others?

"Yes, I seriously believe that consciousness is a product of a natural process. I find that the neuroscientists, psychologists, and philosophers who proceed from that premise are the ones who are actually making useful contributions to our understanding of the mind." - PZ Myers

spike.barnett
Superfan
spike.barnett's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brion I like your avatar.

Brion I like your avatar. Surprise, butseks!

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
nigelTheBold wrote: Y'know,

nigelTheBold wrote:

Y'know, I wanted to add more. All I came up with was Catcher in the Rye and Naked Lunch. Why is that lame?

I mean, it seems there should be more, but drunk as I am, those are the only two examples. Fuck,  Die Hard was homoerotic, and very mainstream. Why Can't I come up with others?

http://www.ala.org/ala/aboutala/offices/oif/bannedbooksweek/challengedbanned/frequentlychallengedbooks.cfm 

Quote:
The 10 most challenged books of 2007 reflect a range of themes, and are:

1. And Tango Makes Three, by Justin Richardson/Peter Parnell

Reasons: Anti-Ethnic, Sexism, Homosexuality, Anti-Family, Religious Viewpoint, Unsuited to Age Group

2. The Chocolate War, by Robert Cormier

Reasons: Sexually Explicit, Offensive Language, Violence

3. Olive’s Ocean, by Kevin Henkes

Reasons: Sexually Explicit and Offensive Language

4. The Golden Compass, by Philip Pullman

Reasons: Religious Viewpoint

5. The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, by Mark Twain

Reasons: Racism

6. The Color Purple, by Alice Walker

Reasons: Homosexuality, Sexually Explicit, Offensive Language,

7. TTYL, by Lauren Myracle

Reasons: Sexually Explicit, Offensive Language, Unsuited to Age Group

8. I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings, by Maya Angelou

Reasons: Sexually Explicit

9. It’s Perfectly Normal, by Robie Harris

Reasons: Sex Education, Sexually Explicit

10. The Perks of Being A Wallflower, by Stephen Chbosky

Reasons: Homosexuality, Sexually Explicit, Offensive Language, Unsuited to Age Group

I've read about half of these, and I always laugh at this chart, especially how Huck Finn has been at the top of the charts forever for racism. People are stupid. Mark Twain would've chuckled at the irony too.

Also, the Golden Compass is challenged for religious viewpoint, LMAO, and homosexuality is an explicit reason for three of these books.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

spike.barnett
Superfan
spike.barnett's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:The 1 most  should've

Quote:
The 1 most  should've been challenged books of 2007

1. The Holy Bible, by a bunch of crazy people.

Reasons: Racism, Sexism, Homophobia, Anti-Sexuality, Religious Viewpoint, Unsuited to Age Group, Extreme violence, Incest, Obvious internal contradiction, Intellectual dishonesty, and Overall questionable ethics.

I fixed that list for you. Let me know if I missed any reasons.

I am fully aware of the grammar errors. They are intended for humor's sake.

After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him.

The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.
MySpace

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
spike.barnett

spike.barnett wrote:

Quote:
The 1 most  should've been challenged books of 2007

1. The Holy Bible, by a bunch of crazy people.

Reasons: Racism, Sexism, Homophobia, Anti-Sexuality, Religious Viewpoint, Unsuited to Age Group, Extreme violence, Incest, Obvious internal contradiction, Intellectual dishonesty, and Overall questionable ethics.

I fixed that list for you. Let me know if I missed any reasons.

I am fully aware of the grammar errors. They are intended for humor's sake.

Well, all the reasons from the list above should apply, so, obviously.

Anti-Family (Luke 14:26), Offensive language, Homosexuality, Sex education, Sexuality.

The ethics of the Bible definitely confuses me more than anything. It condemns violence, but features God ordering the Israelites to stone each other for working on Sunday and to slaughter innocent women and children by the thousands. It condemns anything other than heterosexual monogamy within a marriage (actually, I'm not even sure if the OT supports monogamy at this point) but contains incest, adultery, homosexuality, polygamy, etc. While not explicitly mentioned, even Adam and Eve's children obviously had to have sex with each other and their parents to expand the population. It just goes on and on. The Bible, by itself, probably contains more questionable material than all the books in the top ten list combined.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Considering that the bible

Considering that the bible is technically a collection of stories, I'm not sure you should start with a warning on the cover. Start with the chapters/books within. Then once you've given each book a suitable warning, combine them as the cover page. It's not like there's a lack of space to do so. Not even a picture of the author. Smiling

Brion
Brion's picture
User is offlineOffline
spike.barnett wrote:Brion I

spike.barnett wrote:

Brion I like your avatar. Surprise, butseks!

You're the second person to say that, thanks.  I want to change it but I always find it hilarious when I see it

Brion
Brion's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ok I have more crap to

Ok I have more crap to add.

Online Dating

I don't see why this gets so much hate.  I would rather have a mental connection before a physical connection.  It seems like it's better than having 20 one night stands, risking a STI.  My girlfriend and I met online, WoW as a matter of fact, and I couldn't be happier.  I think one of the main reasons it gets so much hate is because it's new. 

TV

Why does TV suck now?  I remember good shows (opinion of course) Seinfield, Married with Children, Fresh Prince of Bel-Air (it's a good show shut up).  Now TV is just filled with this reality TV crap or infomercials.  I think we have American Idol and Survivor to blame for this.  The only shows that seem to be good are Dexter and U.S. of Tara is ok, not amazing, but it's watchable.  Scrubs has kinda gone downhill since it's the last season

greek goddess
Rational VIP!Science Freak
greek goddess's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brion wrote:I hate girls who

Brion wrote:

You know, this is a valid point. I have been so much happier ever since I stopped reading stupid chick magazines. As I've mentioned elsewhere in these forums before, I suffered from low self-esteem for the majority of my life, and it manifested itself in a number of ways, including eating disorders, depression, and panic attacks. I really question whether the "usefulness" of womens' magazines outweighs the insecurity they can cause.

It starts young, when 14-15 year olds start perusing the pages of Seventeen for fashion tips, boy advice, etc. It's really just like one giant commercial aimed at teen girls to make them go "but daaaaddyyyy I NEED these new shoes! And I promised Lauren that we'd go to the mall this weekend. Can't I have the credit card, pwetty pwease??" I wonder how much certain companies pay to have their products featured in the articles? "Must-have beauty products!" "The hair product you can't live without!" And for teen girls, it's a double-edged sword - there were times in high school that I considered stopping my subscriptions to these magazines. They cluttered up my space, made me feel inadequate, were a waste of paper.... but then how would I know what was fashionable? How would I know if so-and-so liked me or wanted me to be his girlfriend? How would I know what the season's hottest hairstyles were?? I realized the frivolity of the entire practice, but was too scared of becoming a loser if I wasn't aware of all the latest trends.

It continued on into college, when girls grow up and Cosmpolitan becomes their new "bible." Because Cosmo has a few sex articles per month, the implication is that if you are a reader of the magazine, you automatically have sex appeal. Maybe this is just among girls; I'm sure guys probably couldn't give less of a damn about which magazines are on a girl's night table. But still, they lure you in with the headlines - "What He's Dying for you to Do in Bed!" "Flawless Skin Every Day!!" "What his Mixed Signals Really Mean!" Exclamation points, exclamation points, exclamation points!!!1!11!!!

I finally woke up about 2 years ago. I realized a few things:

1) Most girls really don't pay attention to what magazines tell them. Oh sure, they read Seventeen from cover to cover, and they know what the latest trends are. But it doesn't matter whether high-waisted or low-rise jeans are in style, or if green is the hot color of the season... these girls won't actually wear any of it. They just wear their same nondescript uniform of jeans & t-shirts, do their make-up the same way they've been doing it for the last 3 years, etc.

If I made an effort to painstakingly recreate the make-up look featured in a magazine, or went out and bought a green shirt, the compliments I received were never, "hey, I saw that in this month's Seventeen!" Instead I got "I like when you do your eyeliner like that," or "Green is a nice color on you." I got the credit for taking a fashion risk; most of the time people were oblivious to the fact that I had actually been inspired by a magazine. So why did I need some stupid stack of paper telling me what to do? I realized that I like experimenting with what looks good on me, but I can figure out for myself what does & doesn't look good.

2) Girls that have no chance of having a sex life anytime soon buy Cosmo and think they're hot shit. That's nice, but do you tote your Cosmo with you when you go out to parties? No? Then stop flipping through the pages and go fix your hair and buy clothes that actually flatter you. THAT is how you get a guy's attention.

Plus, I soon realized that Cosmo is not as X-rated as they like to think they are. Most of the sex tips are useless or painfully obvious. (Guys like when you give them a blowjob? Gee thanks, I had no idea...) And again, most girls are going to read "How to Spice Up You Sex Life TONIGHT!" and then go have their usual vanilla sex with their boyfriend anyways.

3) Magazines force you to define yourself according to their categories. "If your style is girly, then wear this... if you're a glam girl, wear that..." "Which perfume is right for your personality? Take this quiz and find out!" But what if I fall into different categories? What if I don't like that perfume? I found myself questioning my own traits all the time. Maybe I should look like that model. I wonder if I could go blonde? That girl looks cute with short hair, maybe I should do that... Oh, if only I had legs like that.. Once I stopped bombarding myself with images of other people and stopped worrying about whether I was "cute" or "glam" a funny thing happened. I learned to accept the things that I'm stuck with instead of always pining for things that would never be physically possible given my genetics.

And then after they force you to overanalyze yourself, magazines will talk about "guys," seemingly under the impression that all "guys" behave the same and are the immature frat boys that I try so hard to avoid.

Anyways, after being away at college for about a year, my subscriptions to Seventeen, etc. expired. Since they had been delivered to my parents' house, my mom asked if I wanted to renew them, and I said no, since I was rarely around to read them anyways. I also realized how much money I was spending by buying magazines from the drugstore each month, and decided I would no longer purchase any unless it was really worth it. Every 6 months or so, I buy a fitness magazine, or a fashion magazine that has hairstyles I want to try or something. But I find I really don't miss them. I really don't miss worrying about whether I'm normal, or doing things right or wrong. Although I had been treated for my eating disorders, I still had lingering low self-esteem for 3 years after the fact. Once I stopped comparing myself to other people, I was able to accept myself much easier and with no insecurity.

I just don't see the point of magazines, especially those that target teen girls. You do a lot of developing during your teenage years, and a lot of self-discovery. Asking girls to categorize themselves or compare themselves against others during this crucial period is just bound to lead to anxiety and insecurity. And if you are a teen girl who is lucky enough to be secure in her own skin, then you're probably not going to jump on the bandwagon and do things just because some paper said you should. Basically, I don't see any purpose to these magazines other than to exploit the vulnerability of maturing girls during what is by definition an awkward phase of life. In my opinion, that is wrong and unhealthy.

However, several of the magazines that I read during my youth have since gone out of publication. Whether this is due to the bad economy or due to girls finally realizing the stupidity of it all, I'm not sure. But I'm hoping that it's a shift toward the latter, and that women will no longer feel the need to let a stack of glossy paper define them and dictate their lives.

greek goddess
greek goddess's picture
User is offlineOffline
butterbattle wrote:Hey, God

butterbattle wrote:

Hey, God always wants the baby to be born......except when there's a miscarriage......

No no no, you've got it all wrong... miscarriages are when Satan interferes with God's magnificent plan. Just think! Inside every uterus on earth, a battle between good and evil is being waged!

Brion
Brion's picture
User is offlineOffline
greek goddess wrote:Brion

greek goddess wrote:

Brion wrote:

You know, this is a valid point. I have been so much happier ever since I stopped reading stupid chick magazines. As I've mentioned elsewhere in these forums before, I suffered from low self-esteem for the majority of my life, and it manifested itself in a number of ways, including eating disorders, depression, and panic attacks. I really question whether the "usefulness" of womens' magazines outweighs the insecurity they can cause.

It starts young, when 14-15 year olds start perusing the pages of Seventeen for fashion tips, boy advice, etc. It's really just like one giant commercial aimed at teen girls to make them go "but daaaaddyyyy I NEED these new shoes! And I promised Lauren that we'd go to the mall this weekend. Can't I have the credit card, pwetty pwease??" I wonder how much certain companies pay to have their products featured in the articles? "Must-have beauty products!" "The hair product you can't live without!" And for teen girls, it's a double-edged sword - there were times in high school that I considered stopping my subscriptions to these magazines. They cluttered up my space, made me feel inadequate, were a waste of paper.... but then how would I know what was fashionable? How would I know if so-and-so liked me or wanted me to be his girlfriend? How would I know what the season's hottest hairstyles were?? I realized the frivolity of the entire practice, but was too scared of becoming a loser if I wasn't aware of all the latest trends.

It continued on into college, when girls grow up and Cosmpolitan becomes their new "bible." Because Cosmo has a few sex articles per month, the implication is that if you are a reader of the magazine, you automatically have sex appeal. Maybe this is just among girls; I'm sure guys probably couldn't give less of a damn about which magazines are on a girl's night table. But still, they lure you in with the headlines - "What He's Dying for you to Do in Bed!" "Flawless Skin Every Day!!" "What his Mixed Signals Really Mean!" Exclamation points, exclamation points, exclamation points!!!1!11!!!

I finally woke up about 2 years ago. I realized a few things:

1) Most girls really don't pay attention to what magazines tell them. Oh sure, they read Seventeen from cover to cover, and they know what the latest trends are. But it doesn't matter whether high-waisted or low-rise jeans are in style, or if green is the hot color of the season... these girls won't actually wear any of it. They just wear their same nondescript uniform of jeans & t-shirts, do their make-up the same way they've been doing it for the last 3 years, etc.

If I made an effort to painstakingly recreate the make-up look featured in a magazine, or went out and bought a green shirt, the compliments I received were never, "hey, I saw that in this month's Seventeen!" Instead I got "I like when you do your eyeliner like that," or "Green is a nice color on you." I got the credit for taking a fashion risk; most of the time people were oblivious to the fact that I had actually been inspired by a magazine. So why did I need some stupid stack of paper telling me what to do? I realized that I like experimenting with what looks good on me, but I can figure out for myself what does & doesn't look good.

2) Girls that have no chance of having a sex life anytime soon buy Cosmo and think they're hot shit. That's nice, but do you tote your Cosmo with you when you go out to parties? No? Then stop flipping through the pages and go fix your hair and buy clothes that actually flatter you. THAT is how you get a guy's attention.

Plus, I soon realized that Cosmo is not as X-rated as they like to think they are. Most of the sex tips are useless or painfully obvious. (Guys like when you give them a blowjob? Gee thanks, I had no idea...) And again, most girls are going to read "How to Spice Up You Sex Life TONIGHT!" and then go have their usual vanilla sex with their boyfriend anyways.

3) Magazines force you to define yourself according to their categories. "If your style is girly, then wear this... if you're a glam girl, wear that..." "Which perfume is right for your personality? Take this quiz and find out!" But what if I fall into different categories? What if I don't like that perfume? I found myself questioning my own traits all the time. Maybe I should look like that model. I wonder if I could go blonde? That girl looks cute with short hair, maybe I should do that... Oh, if only I had legs like that.. Once I stopped bombarding myself with images of other people and stopped worrying about whether I was "cute" or "glam" a funny thing happened. I learned to accept the things that I'm stuck with instead of always pining for things that would never be physically possible given my genetics.

And then after they force you to overanalyze yourself, magazines will talk about "guys," seemingly under the impression that all "guys" behave the same and are the immature frat boys that I try so hard to avoid.

Anyways, after being away at college for about a year, my subscriptions to Seventeen, etc. expired. Since they had been delivered to my parents' house, my mom asked if I wanted to renew them, and I said no, since I was rarely around to read them anyways. I also realized how much money I was spending by buying magazines from the drugstore each month, and decided I would no longer purchase any unless it was really worth it. Every 6 months or so, I buy a fitness magazine, or a fashion magazine that has hairstyles I want to try or something. But I find I really don't miss them. I really don't miss worrying about whether I'm normal, or doing things right or wrong. Although I had been treated for my eating disorders, I still had lingering low self-esteem for 3 years after the fact. Once I stopped comparing myself to other people, I was able to accept myself much easier and with no insecurity.

I just don't see the point of magazines, especially those that target teen girls. You do a lot of developing during your teenage years, and a lot of self-discovery. Asking girls to categorize themselves or compare themselves against others during this crucial period is just bound to lead to anxiety and insecurity. And if you are a teen girl who is lucky enough to be secure in her own skin, then you're probably not going to jump on the bandwagon and do things just because some paper said you should. Basically, I don't see any purpose to these magazines other than to exploit the vulnerability of maturing girls during what is by definition an awkward phase of life. In my opinion, that is wrong and unhealthy.

However, several of the magazines that I read during my youth have since gone out of publication. Whether this is due to the bad economy or due to girls finally realizing the stupidity of it all, I'm not sure. But I'm hoping that it's a shift toward the latter, and that women will no longer feel the need to let a stack of glossy paper define them and dictate their lives.

I don't mean to sound creepy but when I read this I wanted to give you a huge hug haha.  And pardon myself for feeding the know-it-all stereotype cause I hate being that way, but I'm in a Gender & Communication class where we've been learning about how the media treats men and women differently.  For women it's all about looking slim, doing whatever your man needs to, have big breasts, to be submissive to the dominating male.  You know, sick shit like that.

For men, however, we're taught to be strong, rugged, be ripped with muscles, have a huge penis.  That's all men are now, it's just a huge pissing contest to see who's the best.  How we're supposed to know how to weild, fix cars, hell fix everything.  I don't know shit about cars, and don't care to.  I try my best not to be a competitive male but sometimes I catch myself doing it and I hate it.  Although on the other hand it's good to have some competitive ego so you're not just a big push over like I was my entire High School career.

I don't know when magazines started to pick on each sexes self-esteem but it's no wonder teen depression is so high, especially for women.  Dove is doing some wonderful things with their commercials now, I don't have any links right now but you could probably go to dove's site and find some, or even youtube.  I think women are beautiful the way they are, none of this makeup shit, anorexic models cause to me that's disgusting.  I don't want to date a twig.  I also don't want a submissive significant other, I want a women with female cojanes that knows when to speak up.

/rant off

greek goddess
greek goddess's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brion wrote: I don't mean

Brion wrote:

I don't mean to sound creepy but when I read this I wanted to give you a huge hug haha. 

Aw, not creepy at all! *HUG*

Your class actually sounds pretty interesting, and you're right about how the media likes to reinforce gender stereotypes. I've seen so many people that are absolutely beautiful/amazing/intelligent succumb to societal pressures when there's nothing wrong with them. It just makes me really angry that we're stupid enough as a population to claim that we want "diversity," yet continue perpetuating such antithetical attitudes. Anyways, you sound like you're a kid with his head screwed on straight. Keep using that brain of yours!

Brion
Brion's picture
User is offlineOffline
*HUG* It's interesting, but

*HUG*

It's interesting, but being there for four hours on a monday, it can get extremely boring.