Science confirms what we all knew anyway

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Science confirms what we all knew anyway

I've noticed several articles in the news recently dealing with dating, mating, and human nature.  Granted, they're nothing earth-shattering, but it's nice to see some actual science making the mainstream romance pages.  Here's a short recap of a couple of the more interesting ones:

Women are hard to figure out

Go figure, eh?  Anyway, neither women nor men could tell if a woman was interested in a man during a speed dating experiment.  Both men and women could tell when a man was interested in a woman, but a coin flip was essentially as accurate as both sexes at determining a woman's interest in a man.

The reasoning behind this is relatively simple.  Women have more to invest in a mate, so it makes sense for them to do things that prolong courtship.  This gives them more time to evaluate their potential mate and perhaps discover flaws that will be dealbreakers.  Men, on the other hand, have every reason to make sure women know they're interested.  Rule number 1:  If she doesn't know you're interested, she's not going to fuck you.

The Rules of Attraction

Want to know how attractive you are?  Do you really?  Here's how you can tell, scientifically:

1.  Symmetry will get you laid.  If you are very symmetrical, you're more attractive.  Period.

2.  Waist-hip ratio.  If you're a woman, and your WHR is 0.7, that's attractive.

3.  Face.  Estrogen-shaped faces tend to be smaller with softer edges.  Testosterone-shaped faces are more sharp with larger jaws, chins, eyebrows, etc.  Wonder of wonders -- straight men like estrogen-shaped faces and straight women like testosterone-shaped faces.

4.  Smell.  Women smell better during certain parts of the month.  Symmetrical men smell better than asymmetrical men.  Smell is a big deal in attraction.

5.  Pheromones... who knows...  

6.  Like attracts like.  Based on a set of heritable personality traits, similar genetics is 34% of a successful long term relationship.

7.  Love is more powerful than sex.  Even at the beginning.  Fidelity is a very big deal to nearly everybody.*

* Just to throw a monkey wrench in the works, we need to realize that fidelity is really important precisely because it's not that easy to find.  If everyone were faithful in relationships, nobody would think fidelity was that big a deal.  They could get it anywhere.  The fact that there's such a premium on it is all the evidence you need that humans are not primarily monogamous.  Now, as to the question of whether one should be faithful, this is another topic.  As far as the scientific description of humans, it's yet another nail in the coffin of the monogamy myth.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote:The

Hambydammit wrote:
The reasoning behind this is relatively simple.  Women have more to invest in a mate, so it makes sense for them to do things that prolong courtship.  This gives them more time to evaluate their potential mate and perhaps discover flaws that will be dealbreakers.

Oh you and your speculation. There are tons of reasons that women might hold back more. Fear, cultural pressure, their attitude towards social interaction, their past experiences with men ... "Women have more to invest in a mate" is a bit hasty.

hamby wrote:
Men, on the other hand, have every reason to make sure women know they're interested.  Rule number 1:  If she doesn't know you're interested, she's not going to fuck you.

Nuh-uh. Quite a number of women get driven into a tizzy by being ignored. That can't even be close to rule 1. That's like "low-grade tactic #43" or something.

hamby wrote:
Want to know how attractive you are?  Do you really?  Here's how you can tell, scientifically:

Why would I want to know how attractive I am to average women, when I'm only interested in the outliers?

Saint Will: no gyration without funkstification.
fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Quote:Oh you and your

Quote:
Oh you and your speculation. There are tons of reasons that women might hold back more. Fear, cultural pressure, their attitude towards social interaction, their past experiences with men ... 

Oh, you and your hasty dismissals!  Scientists account for these factors in their screening and data processing.  We're also probably talking about two different things.  I'm not talking about a woman being hesitant to have sex on the first date because she's been burned in relationships before.  I'm talking about unconscious visual cues and body language.

Quote:
"Women have more to invest in a mate" is a bit hasty.

Um... they do.

Quote:
Nuh-uh. Quite a number of women get driven into a tizzy by being ignored. That can't even be close to rule 1. That's like "low-grade tactic #43" or something.

Women get driven into a tizzy by being ignored by attractive men who have previously shown interest.

Quote:
Why would I want to know how attractive I am to average women, when I'm only interested in the outliers?

I trust you didn't read any further, right?  Save yourself now!  Avoid the science noid!

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

Books about atheism

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote:Oh, you

Hambydammit wrote:

Oh, you and your hasty dismissals!  Scientists account for these factors in their screening and data processing.  We're also probably talking about two different things.  I'm not talking about a woman being hesitant to have sex on the first date because she's been burned in relationships before.  I'm talking about unconscious visual cues and body language.

Okay, so you have a point. Also, I was basically giving you a hard time. It entertains me.

Hambydammit wrote:
Quote:

Women get driven into a tizzy by being ignored by attractive men who have previously shown interest.

Now that's something I'd like to test.

Hambydammit wrote:
Quote:

I trust you didn't read any further, right?  Save yourself now!  Avoid the science noid!

I kid! I kid!

I kid because I care.

fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Quote:Okay, so you have a

Quote:
Okay, so you have a point. 

Oh... I always have a point.  I always have a point.

Quote:
Also, I was basically giving you a hard time. It entertains me.

Well, I do enjoy being the center of attention... you should see me at karaoke parties.

Quote:

Now that's something I'd like to test.

It does beg the question... would you pass the initial screening and make it into this test?   Or would you perhaps be part of the 'control'?

Books about atheism

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote:Oh... I

Hambydammit wrote:
Oh... I always have a point.  I always have a point.

Was that done in a Yoda voice? I heard "You will be. You will be."

Hambydammit wrote:
Quote:
Also, I was basically giving you a hard time. It entertains me.

Well, I do enjoy being the center of attention... you should see me at karaoke parties.

I'm sure I would enjoy the seeing more than the hearing. Bah-dum-bum.

Hambydammit wrote:
Quote:

Now that's something I'd like to test.

It does beg the question... would you pass the initial screening and make it into this test?   Or would you perhaps be part of the 'control'?

Hmm. I'm a symmetrical guy attending a university filled with young women who'd love to date just such a symmetrical guy with his own place and car. I've been doing this test inadvertently for about two years now, and with young women, you can pretty much always tell if they're interested. Women my age, not so much. I'm thinking the older, the more mysterious. What do you think?

Renee Obsidianwords
High Level DonorModeratorRRS local affiliate
Renee Obsidianwords's picture
User is offlineOffline
So symmetry is

So symmetry is what?.....equal distance from eye to nose, lip to nose..are there certain proportions that a person must have? (measurements of the face?) Beyond the 'soft features' of a estrogen shaped face?

Slowly building a blog at ~

http://obsidianwords.wordpress.com/

nigelTheBold
atheist
nigelTheBold's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote:Want to

Hambydammit wrote:

Bah. You and your so-called "science." I already know how attractive I am. I see it every time I look in the mirror (which is pretty much 24/7):

I go to eleven.

"Yes, I seriously believe that consciousness is a product of a natural process. I find that the neuroscientists, psychologists, and philosophers who proceed from that premise are the ones who are actually making useful contributions to our understanding of the mind." - PZ Myers

Dracos
User is offlineOffline
Mates

It has been my observation that women want quality and men want quantity.  She wants a man who will stick around and help her come up with the 14 million calories it will take to raise a kid.  She is the one who gets pregnant.  Men generally want a healthy looking female who will have healthy kids, while he is off impregnating more healthy looking females.

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
Renee Obsidianwords wrote:So

Renee Obsidianwords wrote:

So symmetry is what?.....equal distance from eye to nose, lip to nose..are there certain proportions that a person must have? (measurements of the face?) Beyond the 'soft features' of a estrogen shaped face?

I can solve this dilemma easily. I'll send you some pictures of myself to show you what attractive is. That's attractive, and everything else is sub-par.

It's science. You can't argue with science, Renee.

Renee Obsidianwords
High Level DonorModeratorRRS local affiliate
Renee Obsidianwords's picture
User is offlineOffline
HisWillness wrote:Renee

HisWillness wrote:

I can solve this dilemma easily. I'll send you some pictures of myself to show you what attractive is. That's attractive, and everything else is sub-par.

Oooo ... when you talk science to me !!  Smiling

Slowly building a blog at ~

http://obsidianwords.wordpress.com/

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
Renee Obsidianwords

HisWillness wrote:

Haha - yeah, guys who are into themselves are sooooo hot. I'm sure you can hardly contain yourself.

spike.barnett
Superfan
spike.barnett's picture
User is offlineOffline
HisWillness wrote:Renee

HisWillness wrote:

HisWillness wrote:

Haha - yeah, guys who are into themselves are sooooo hot. I'm sure you can hardly contain yourself.

I know I'm having trouble...

After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him.

The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.
MySpace

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Not to interrupt the

Not to interrupt the levity, but it's all about horizontal symmetry  (if you're standing).  Your eyes should be equidistant from your nose, your nose should be straight, your ears the same size and location, an even smile, and so forth, all the way down to your little toes.

Interestingly, in another recent study, it was clearly demonstrated that accounting for familiarity, skill, and individual differences in orgasmic frequency, women who have sex with symmetrical men have proportionally more and better orgasms than those with asymmetrical men.  The kicker?  The differences in symmetry were tiny, such that the women were not consciously aware of them.

Books about atheism

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit

Hambydammit wrote:

Interestingly, in another recent study, it was clearly demonstrated that accounting for familiarity, skill, and individual differences in orgasmic frequency, women who have sex with symmetrical men have proportionally more and better orgasms than those with asymmetrical men.  The kicker?  The differences in symmetry were tiny, such that the women were not consciously aware of them.

Sigh. All this time spent honing my skills, and it turns out that my symmetry was the real edge in delivering those thousands of mentally crippling orgasms? This is terrible news. I feel devalued as an artist.

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Geez, Will.  When are you

Geez, Will.  When are you going to learn?  I said that accounting for those factors, women had proportionally more and better orgasms with symmetrical men.  Therefore, your symmetry added to your technical prowess.

Books about atheism

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote:Geez,

Hambydammit wrote:

Geez, Will.  When are you going to learn?  I said that accounting for those factors, women had proportionally more and better orgasms with symmetrical men.  Therefore, your symmetry added to your technical prowess.

Alright, fine. I admit that I'm awesome.

I don't think any other group of people has let me get away with such rambling bullshit for so long.

*sniff* I love you guys.

spike.barnett
Superfan
spike.barnett's picture
User is offlineOffline
HisWillness wrote:Alright,

HisWillness wrote:

Alright, fine. I admit that I'm awesome.

I don't think any other group of people has let me get away with such rambling bullshit for so long.

*sniff* I love you guys.

It's all in good fun. I find that humor will stack, causing higher levels of humor with each new peice.

After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him.

The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.
MySpace

peppermint
Superfan
peppermint's picture
User is offlineOffline
I don't know...there's only

I don't know...there's only so much we can "prove" about attraction, since it's all subjective and based on cultural teachings and personal preferences.

For example, in the US men are more likely to prefer women with lots of make-up, big boobs and a "doll-like" face, as opposed to other parts of the world that don't put as much emphasis on "Barbie-doll" women. This doesn't equal skinny, it equates with women with "curves in all the right places" that are shown off, who have nice hair and make themselves up.

Of course, taste is a big part of it, but generally speaking this girl is considered attractive to guys in the USA:

However, many guys might say she's "too skinny" or "fake-looking", and might prefer a more "natural" someone like this

Also, confidence, the way one carries themselves, articulation, status and social skills play a very big cultural role.

So I don't think we can completely deduce it scientifically.

*Our world is far more complex than the rigid structure we want to assign to it, and we will probably never fully understand it.*

"Those believers who are sophisticated enough to understand the paradox have found exciting ways to bend logic into pretzel shapes in order to defend the indefensible." - Hamby

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 It's dangerous to say that

It's dangerous to say that we "can't" deduce it when we haven't quite deduced it.  Culture is a big factor in what is considered "the most attractive," but on average, people pretty much hook up with people they are able to hook up with.  It's all about average attractiveness, not overall.  So yeah, you're right that we will probably never have the ability to completely deduce everything, but to say we can't make remarkably accurate predictions is to say we haven't done the science.  That's not a matter of inadequacy.  It's a matter of time and research.

Books about atheism