Information request!

Novar
Novar's picture
User is offlineOffline
Information request!

First, i ask sorry for my bad english and ignorance regarding this subject!

In my country(Portugal) there is a religion(evangelical christians!) that my mother and brother belongs,  which belives in Revelations and Visions. My concept of reality regarding this issue, is that it is a delusion and has scientifical explanation(biochemestry and psychology!?), or with the evolution of the human species, and the consequent evolution of the technologies and scientific knowledge, more and more accurate awensers will apear ! If possible, i would be thankful for information regarding scientific studies/documents regarding it, or where to find them?

Best Regards,

Novar.

Proud to be an individual of my Species...

spike.barnett
Superfan
spike.barnett's picture
User is offlineOffline
I would say you're correct

I would say you're correct in thinking it is a hallucination. I tried searching for it, but all I could get were religious people claiming to have had them. I suspect Deluded or Hamby will be able to scare something up. Speaking of Science Freaks, has any one heard from BobSpence?

After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him.

The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.
MySpace

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Well, I'm a little short

Well, I'm a little short on time this afternoon, but I did write an article about NDE's (near death experiences) which touches on some of what goes on during a particular kind of hallucination:

For New Atheists: Is This Really All There Is?

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

Novar
Novar's picture
User is offlineOffline
 I could say that "there

I could say that "there is will be a war, and many people will die!", or "there will be an natural disaster and many  peole will die" or even that "someone  will pass by a bad moment."(break a leg or something!), and i could call it a "vision/revelation/prophecy", by my personal analysys it would be sometinhg  not acurate to say ,that happens commonly, as an  "universal truth" and  that depends of the individuals "interpretation of reality". Is this rational/logic?

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
Novar wrote: I could say

Novar wrote:

I could say that "there is will be a war, and many people will die!", or "there will be an natural disaster and many  peole will die" or even that "someone  will pass by a bad moment."(break a leg or something!), and i could call it a "vision/revelation/prophecy", by my personal analysys it would be sometinhg  not acurate to say ,that happens commonly, as an  "universal truth" and  that depends of the individuals "interpretation of reality". Is this rational/logic?

That may be what's known as "confirmation bias", where people ignore when a prophet is wrong, and only remember when he was right. I'm not sure what confirmation bias would translate to in Portugese.

Saint Will: no gyration without funkstification.
fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

Novar
Novar's picture
User is offlineOffline
I think i understood the

I think i understood the concept you refered to, by the meaning of the phrase. In any case i will reseach it!

Thank you very much!

Luminon
SuperfanTheist
Luminon's picture
User is offlineOffline
Novar wrote: I could say

Novar wrote:

Such a revelations are better to ignore. They can be a result of a catastrophic syndrome. Every great change, crisis or tension in the world brings a lot of doom prophets, who are obviously false, as the time shows. These visions are a result of the fear, and the people dependent on the old state of things are afraid of changes.
Furthermore, unless there are specifics, like names of places and people involved, there is no easy way to verify them, or rather identify an event with it's prophecy. Which war? Which leg? Which disaster?

I know about some revelations about a political and global events which later got fulfilled, I can give more info on this, if I'll be asked. However, an original, related "explanation" for them is not a scientific explanation and involves a tons of  incomprehensible woo-woo. 

Beings who deserve worship don't demand it. Beings who demand worship don't deserve it.

Novar
Novar's picture
User is offlineOffline
theyr woo-woo makes me sick!

theyr woo-woo makes me sick! they want me believe in it without scientific evidence... The last article taht i have read (sciam i think!) describes theyr neurological dynamic resemblant to a individual that likes gambling. It is quite anoying to live with them!