Atheist Bus Campagin Hits Toronto!

Thomathy
Superfan
Thomathy's picture
User is offlineOffline
Atheist Bus Campagin Hits Toronto!

Well, the bus ads that made news in London have been approved to appear on TTC vehicles.  Expect to see them soon.  Also, they'll appear in other Canadian cities!

Read the following articles:

Washington Standard: No Hope For Atheist Bus Ads

Life Sit News: Toronto Transit Commission Approves Anti-God Ads

The Globe and Mail: Toronto church leader denounces atheist 'attack ads'

BigUniverse wrote,

"Well the things that happen less often are more likely to be the result of the supper natural. A thing like loosing my keys in the morning is not likely supper natural, but finding a thousand dollars or meeting a celebrity might be."

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sweet! Can't wait to see

Sweet! Can't wait to see them!

anniet
Silver Member
User is offlineOffline
Congratulations!  I'm sure

Congratulations!  I'm sure you guys will enjoy seeing them around town. 

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
Thomathy wrote:Well, the bus

Thomathy wrote:

Well, the bus ads that made news in London have been approved to appear on TTC vehicles.  Expect to see them soon.  Also, they'll appear in other Canadian cities!

Read the following articles:

Washington Standard: No Hope For Atheist Bus Ads

Life Sit News: Toronto Transit Commission Approves Anti-God Ads

The Globe and Mail: Toronto church leader denounces atheist 'attack ads'

Now that I have read the article from the Washington Standard, I can see why the city is hesitant. If they are being fair about not allowing politics or religion on publicly funded transit, FOR ANYONE, then the city is really taking a neutral position. If atheists push this on city busses Christians will want to do the same. I think maybe Cannada might be living more true to neutrality than American cities.

Again, it might be best for both believers and atheists to seek adds on private transite such as taxis or privately owned billboards which can be next to public highways on privatly owned land. Private does not mean out of view, it merely means not added by or favored by the government.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
Change is good

I grew up in a small town in central Maine. I was born in an even smaller town in New Brunswick. So I can tell one and all it is great to live in the GTA (greater Toronto area). This is just one more reason why.

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?

Renee Obsidianwords
High Level DonorModeratorRRS local affiliate
Renee Obsidianwords's picture
User is offlineOffline
...If the atheist bus and

...If the atheist bus and the jesus bus pulled up next to one another, would you see them...or would they cancel each other out...

Slowly building a blog at ~

http://obsidianwords.wordpress.com/

SmallChristian
SmallChristian's picture
User is offlineOffline
Renee Obsidianwords

Renee Obsidianwords wrote:

...If the atheist bus and the jesus bus pulled up next to one another, would you see them...or would they cancel each other out...

They look so identical I wonder if anyone will.  If anything I just hope that the atheist bus campaign helps those realize that there are plenty of good people out there living a happy life without theism.  

The theist bus campaign is so misleading.  They're pushing "love one another" but any further look into christianity surely pushes a more "fear god or be damned" message; which is why the atheist bus is so much more loving.

So one really has love behind it, and the other doesn't.  

Thomathy
Superfan
Thomathy's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:Now that I

Brian37 wrote:
Now that I have read the article from the Washington Standard, I can see why the city is hesitant. If they are being fair about not allowing politics or religion on publicly funded transit, FOR ANYONE, then the city is really taking a neutral position. If atheists push this on city busses Christians will want to do the same. I think maybe Cannada might be living more true to neutrality than American cities.
The TTC (The 3rd largest transit authority in North America) is privately owned. It is only subsidized by the City of Toronto.  The types of ads it decides to display are up to it.  The Washington Post article speaks extensively about a contract clause between the authority and the ad vendor in Kingston (a small piss-on of a city).  No such clause exists in Toronto, and indeed, ads that are extremely controversial are often seen on TTC vehicles and property.  Further, is that ad space in the city often contains controversial material.  The city is extremely grit.  I'm proud to be here.

Quote:
Again, it might be best for both believers and atheists to seek adds on private transite such as taxis or privately owned billboards which can be next to public highways on privatly owned land.
The TTC is private... so anyone can approach it to display any advertising they like.

Quote:
Private does not mean out of view, it merely means not added by or favored by the government.
This is not America.  I mean that nicely.  We don't have a specific law that separates church from state.  Until 2008 the Parliament of Ontario still held a Christian prayer at the opening of parliament.  Now, there is still a prayer, but it rotates each session between some 12 faiths and a moment of silence for non-believers -to represent the diversity of Ontario.  Anyhow, this isn't the place for that discussion... chruch and state separation in Canada would be a lengthy conversation to be fully understood.

BigUniverse wrote,

"Well the things that happen less often are more likely to be the result of the supper natural. A thing like loosing my keys in the morning is not likely supper natural, but finding a thousand dollars or meeting a celebrity might be."

Thomathy
Superfan
Thomathy's picture
User is offlineOffline
SmallChristian wrote:They

SmallChristian wrote:

They look so identical I wonder if anyone will.  If anything I just hope that the atheist bus campaign helps those realize that there are plenty of good people out there living a happy life without theism.

Well, in Canada, I think it's a given that there are lots of Atheists and that it's okay.

BigUniverse wrote,

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
Quote: It is only subsidized

Quote:
It is only subsidized by the City of Toronto.

Right, so if a Christian citizen objects to the add as a taxpayer, they would be right. If they said, "If they can do it, I can do it" they would be right. BUT both are bad tactics and the better solution for anyone asking for government funds is to keep their business neutral as to avoid the conflict in the first place.

All have to either agree to let it all in, or keep it all out. I think the better solution for all is to do it on your own time with your own resources.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Thomathy
Superfan
Thomathy's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:Right, so if a

Brian37 wrote:
Right, so if a Christian citizen objects to the add as a taxpayer, they would be right.
Well, they wouldn't.  The city isn't funding the ad.  The ad is funding the TTC and the TTC also gets some of its revenue from the City.  Any objection to the material would have to be based on arguments from the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms and brought to the appropriate authority.  Who likely wouldn't hear them, because the ads aren't discriminatory.  Anyone is free to apply to purchase ad space and with the money to do so purchase said space.

Quote:
If they said, "If they can do it, I can do it" they would be right.
Of course, they could purchase ad space.  If the TTC wanted to give them the ad space, it could.  I don't know if any Christian organization here will attempt to purchase ad space.  I doubt it.

Quote:
BUT both are bad tactics and the better solution for anyone asking for government funds is to keep their business neutral as to avoid the conflict in the first place.
No one is asking for government funds.  The ads are paid for by the organization placing them and the money is revenue for the TTC.  The TTC can gets its revenue in any legal way it sees fit.

Quote:
All have to either agree to let it all in, or keep it all out. I think the better solution for all is to do it on your own time with your own resources.
I disagree.  It's a non-issue in this case.

BigUniverse wrote,

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
Thomathy wrote:Brian37

Thomathy wrote:

Brian37 wrote:
Right, so if a Christian citizen objects to the add as a taxpayer, they would be right.
Well, they wouldn't.  The city isn't funding the ad.  The ad is funding the TTC and the TTC also gets some of its revenue from the City.  Any objection to the material would have to be based on arguments from the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms and brought to the appropriate authority.  Who likely wouldn't hear them, because the ads aren't discriminatory.  Anyone is free to apply to purchase ad space and with the money to do so purchase said space.

Quote:
If they said, "If they can do it, I can do it" they would be right.
Of course, they could purchase ad space.  If the TTC wanted to give them the ad space, it could.  I don't know if any Christian organization here will attempt to purchase ad space.  I doubt it.

Quote:
BUT both are bad tactics and the better solution for anyone asking for government funds is to keep their business neutral as to avoid the conflict in the first place.
No one is asking for government funds.  The ads are paid for by the organization placing them and the money is revenue for the TTC.  The TTC can gets it's revenue in any legal way it sees fit.

Quote:
I disagree.

DUH! So if Jerry Falwell out competted Catholics for a bid for the buss add, what you are basically saying is that Jerry becomes the boss of the transit.

"The customer is always right". That means if a religious organization can monopolize the adds they, even though the system is privately owned, it is still subsidiesed by the government. If the government was not involved in it, both the customer and their dissentors could appeal to the business in the free market, and the government would not have to play either side in deciding to continue the funds or refusing them.

By proxy of the private business being funded, they cannot discriminate. The fact is that they do and will, and to minimize that influance peddling it is a bad idea for private business to be funded and accept adds for either theists or atheists, IF they want the funding. If they dont, then they can do what they want.

Thomathy
Superfan
Thomathy's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian, what I am saying is

Brian, what I am saying is that ABSOFUCKINGLUTELY ANYONE CAN PURCHASE AD SPACE FROM THE TTC.  That is, ad space.  The ads, as far as I know, are only appearing on buses.  And at that, not all of them.  Do you know how much it would cost to place a bid for all the advertising space on the TTC?  No one could possibly monopolize the ad space of the TTC.  The ad space is sold in time slots and volumn and location.  Whoever payed for the atheist ads likely did not even have to bid for the ad space, but just bought it.  It's not a matter of 'the customer is always right'.  They only bought some ad space.  Anyone could do it!

Brian, there is no official separation of church and state in Canada.  Stop using arguments about discrimination (in either public or private sectors).  Discrimination is all handled by the Canadian Human Rights Tribunal.  If anyone decides to claim that the ads are discriminatory or otherwise contravene the Charter, someone will lodge a formal complaint.  The thing is, the ads do not contravene any wording in the Charter!  It is not by proxy of the business being subsidized by the City that it cannot discriminate.  It's bloody illegal for anyone in Canada to discriminate.  The thing is, there's no discrimination going on.

Further, and I'll try to make this crystal clear, the Corporation of the City of Toronto is not playing to one side or the other because it subsidizes the TTC.  It has nothing to do with how the TTC sells its advertising space.  It must subsidize the TTC.

That's really the end of it.  You're making up this fantastical issue where it simply doesn't exist.  As I said earlier, this isn't America.

Edit: Also, Brian, it's not like there's never been a religious ad on the TTC.  Christian organizations put ads up all the time...

BigUniverse wrote,

deludedgod
Rational VIP!ScientistDeluded God
deludedgod's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:a small piss-on of a

Quote:

Kingston (a small piss-on of a city)

With an outstanding university.

"Physical reality” isn’t some arbitrary demarcation. It is defined in terms of what we can systematically investigate, directly or not, by means of our senses. It is preposterous to assert that the process of systematic scientific reasoning arbitrarily excludes “non-physical explanations” because the very notion of “non-physical explanation” is contradictory.

-Me

Books about atheism

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
Quote:Brian, what I am

Quote:
Brian, what I am saying is that ABSOFUCKINGLUTELY ANYONE CAN PURCHASE AD SPACE FROM THE TTC.  That is, ad space.

Tell me where I was desputing that? If you own a business anyone can buy add space from you.

BUT, if you ask for public funding, then you put government in the position of putting strings on that add space.

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:BUT, if you ask for

Quote:
BUT, if you ask for public funding, then you put government in the position of putting strings on that add space.

Arguably, yes. But as Thomathy has already said, there is no officially sanctioned seperation of church and state (grumbles...) in Canada, so this is a moot point. Stephen Harper could waltz into parliament tomorrow wearing rosary beads, crucifix necklaces and the robe & hat of the pope without breaking any laws within our constitution.

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

- Leon Trotsky, Last Will & Testament
February 27, 1940