Sir David Attenborough comments on Christianity and Creationism

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sir David Attenborough comments on Christianity and Creationism

LINK

Sir David Attenborough gets my respect for calling a thing what it is and standing up for science:

Quote:
Telling the magazine that he was also asked why he did not give "credit" to the Lord, Sir David continued: "They always mean beautiful things like hummingbirds.

"I always reply by saying that I think of a little child in East Africa with a worm burrowing through his eyeball.

"The worm cannot live in any other way, except by burrowing through eyeballs."I find that hard to reconcile with the notion of a divine and benevolent creator."

Attenborough also mentions getting hate mail from Christians:

Quote:
"They tell me to burn in hell and good riddance," Sir David said during an interview with the Radio Times about his latest documentary on Charles Darwin and natural selection.

I'm trying to think of something interesting to say about this, but honestly, how many times can we see this little drama play out and still find it novel or even noteworthy?  This is what a large portion of Christians believe.  End of story.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

JillSwift
Superfan
JillSwift's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sir David Attenborough

Sir David Attenborough wrote:
"They tell me to burn in hell and good riddance"
Yeah, there's that wonderful love-thy-neighbor thing at work.

I don't much mind the credulity, the decision by emotion, the unchanging and unquestioned dogma, the pick-n-choose biblical morality and hypocrisy, or even the loud and annoying proselytizing. I'm fine with the willful ignorance and the shunning of science and intellectual pursuits. It's... It's just that they do all that and vote, too.

"Anyone can repress a woman, but you need 'dictated' scriptures to feel you're really right in repressing her. In the same way, homophobes thrive everywhere. But you must feel you've got scripture on your side to come up with the tedious 'Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve' style arguments instead of just recognising that some people are different." - Douglas Murray

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
I don't think I can thank

I don't think I can thank you enough for that. I do David Attenborough impressions for the amusement of my friends and family (and they may be amused because it's a terrible impression - I don't know) so Sir Attenborough has had a place in my heart for a long time. It's good to know he's on the side of not-crazy.

Saint Will: no gyration without funkstification.
fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
What loving god would sit by

What loving god would sit by and watch the BTK killer string up a little girl on a pipe in the basement like a peice of meat, and watch the killer masterbate over her dead body? What kind of loving magical security guard in the sky and allow such a horror on his watch to happen?

What about Caley Anthony, found murdered in a garbage bag?

What about the children in Africa who starve to death by the millions every single year?

Maybe there is no magic to life and there is no god loving or cruel and bad things happen, even though we dont want them to happen. Maybe if we would study this things instead of consulting rabbit's feet or cross our fingers and summon Superman vs Kriptonite, maybe instead of making up magical reasons for why bad things happen, maybe if we would face them without superstition we could as a species get on with minimizing the harm these real things cause.

We know now that volcanos are not beings, we know now that people with epelepsy are not deomond possessed, and everything from pediophilia to starvation, are not the products of immaginary pitchforks, but a reality better solved through facing reality.

It is time to shed immaginary super friends that dont exist. Just as the belief in the sun god died, so to can the myths of the Abrahamic gods. I am quite sure, that thousands of years from now, if we don't kill ourselves off and nature sustains us, that those societies will most definatly look at our present myth just as we today look at the Egyptian pantheon and Greek pantheons and see them for what they are. I only hope that future generations simply dont repeat history by replacing one myth with another and call it religion.

Scientology is now called a religion but the reality is that it is nothing more than a human invention of a fan of L. Ron Hubbard. How the hell it mannaged to be called credible demonstrates the continued human failure to face reality.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:What loving

Brian37 wrote:

What loving god would sit by and watch the BTK killer string up a little girl on a pipe in the basement like a peice of meat, and watch the killer masterbate over her dead body? What kind of loving magical security guard in the sky and allow such a horror on his watch to happen?

What about Caley Anthony, found murdered in a garbage bag?

What about the children in Africa who starve to death by the millions every single year?

Maybe there is no magic to life and there is no god loving or cruel and bad things happen, even though we dont want them to happen. Maybe if we would study this things instead of consulting rabbit's feet or cross our fingers and summon Superman vs Kriptonite, maybe instead of making up magical reasons for why bad things happen, maybe if we would face them without superstition we could as a species get on with minimizing the harm these real things cause.

We know now that volcanos are not beings, we know now that people with epelepsy are not deomond possessed, and everything from pediophilia to starvation, are not the products of immaginary pitchforks, but a reality better solved through facing reality.

It is time to shed immaginary super friends that dont exist. Just as the belief in the sun god died, so to can the myths of the Abrahamic gods. I am quite sure, that thousands of years from now, if we don't kill ourselves off and nature sustains us, that those societies will most definatly look at our present myth just as we today look at the Egyptian pantheon and Greek pantheons and see them for what they are. I only hope that future generations simply dont repeat history by replacing one myth with another and call it religion.

Scientology is now called a religion but the reality is that it is nothing more than a human invention of a fan of L. Ron Hubbard. How the hell it mannaged to be called credible demonstrates the continued human failure to face reality.

One loves all the little children of the world, of course.

<spits with contempt>

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin

deludedgod
Rational VIP!ScientistDeluded God
deludedgod's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Scientology is now

Quote:

Scientology is now called a religion

Scientology is not a religion. It's not a cult. It doesn't even deserve to be called a collection of beliefs. Scientology is an organized criminal syndicate.

"Physical reality” isn’t some arbitrary demarcation. It is defined in terms of what we can systematically investigate, directly or not, by means of our senses. It is preposterous to assert that the process of systematic scientific reasoning arbitrarily excludes “non-physical explanations” because the very notion of “non-physical explanation” is contradictory.

-Me

Books about atheism

spike.barnett
Superfan
spike.barnett's picture
User is offlineOffline
HisWillness wrote:It's good

HisWillness wrote:

It's good to know he's on the side of not-crazy.

I like that. I nearly choked. This place is out to get me. I'll have to stop drinking when I'm here.

After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him.

The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.
MySpace