Theists vs. Fanboys

JanCham
User is offlineOffline
Theists vs. Fanboys

Are thesits the loyal followers of some deep truth, or they just God's fanboys?  At least Trekkies have have every season of the origional and the next generation, as well as all the movies.  Theists have only two books and seem to vary on just how rabid they are in living within their fictional narrative.  Fundies, however, are the worst.  Fundies are fanboys that you desperately want to run away from, even when you meet them in a convention.  It's a short point, but an amuzing one.  Life fandoys, fundies live in their own little story worlds... at least most fanboys still know it's just fiction.

SmallChristian
SmallChristian's picture
User is offlineOffline
 When I was a theist, and

When I was a theist, and FANatical about Jesus, I was very serious about it but always considered "fanboys" more of a term used to bash an opposing opinion on things like the best video game or what game system is better than the other.   Which OS is better.  For example I think Google Chrome pwns firefox, so a firefox fanboy would call me a "chrome fanboy" or something.  I dunno, with religion it seems too deep for the fanboy thing, but I guess it could be extended to religion; why not?

Stosis
User is offlineOffline
Why not call them fanboys?

Why not call them fanboys? If they were fanatical about anything else that's what people would call them. It just goes to show that you can get that deeper meaning and warm fuzzy feeling from more than one work of literature.

Yaerav
Bronze Member
User is offlineOffline
I don't think any Christian

I don't think any Christian fundy will even as much as blink when being called "fanboy"- rather, he will devoutly look up to the sky, fold his hands and have some sort of religious orgasm right in front of you Eye-wink

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
The term has been

The term has been commandeered by the gaming industry. Fanatic is the term to be used with religion. Nintendo/Sony/Microsoft fan boys may be crazy stupid, but they aren't dangerous. Unlike the christians/jews/moslems....

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

peppermint
Superfan
peppermint's picture
User is offlineOffline
I don't know...I feel like

I don't know...I feel like mainstream Christianity has become the stereotype of religion. Buddhism, for example, is far more about inner peace than worship. Even theistic religions can have depth to them and ideals that help people get through life, though sadly religion in general is also full of repression, bullshit and lies.

Respectively, religious texts DO contain some fascinating literature and interesting psychological observations. That being said, taking them literally is just as silly as taking Peter Pan as our nation's history.

*Our world is far more complex than the rigid structure we want to assign to it, and we will probably never fully understand it.*

"Those believers who are sophisticated enough to understand the paradox have found exciting ways to bend logic into pretzel shapes in order to defend the indefensible." - Hamby

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yaerav wrote:I don't think

Yaerav wrote:

I don't think any Christian fundy will even as much as blink when being called "fanboy"- rather, he will devoutly look up to the sky, fold his hands and have some sort of religious orgasm right in front of you Eye-wink

"Orgasm" is not in the fundy vocabulary. Their mission in life is not to have fun, but to "enjoy" kissing their daddy's butt. What better way to spend your life than to suck up to a claimed fictional being who's mission for you is to make him the center of the universe.

I find it morally reprehensable to claim that something should be followed merely "because".

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog