YEC Idiocy. It's not just for Americans anymore

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
YEC Idiocy. It's not just for Americans anymore

According to a recent Guardian article, over 30% of British students believe in either Intelligent Design or Young Earth Creationism.  What's worse, nearly 20% said they were taught some form of Creationism as fact in school.  We're not talking about specifically Christian schools either.

I suppose now I'm going to go back in all my writing and retract my statements that America is the only civilized country backward enough to even consider teaching anything other than evolution.

And here I thought maybe we were making progress.  So much for that.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

spike.barnett
Superfan
spike.barnett's picture
User is offlineOffline
I feel for you Hamby. I know

I feel for you Hamby. I know what it's like to lose that sense of social progress.

Bulldog
Superfan
Bulldog's picture
User is offlineOffline
Fundies are like a virus. 

Fundies are like a virus.  Anyone got any ideas for a vaccine?  I like the idea of building more stadiums and raising a boat load of lions.

"Erecting the 'wall of separation between church and state,' therefore, is absolutely essential in a free society." Thomas Jefferson
www.myspace.com/kenhill5150

Bulldog
Superfan
Bulldog's picture
User is offlineOffline
Just kidding.  I like to

Just kidding.  I like to tell that to people to see their reactions.

JillSwift
Superfan
JillSwift's picture
User is offlineOffline
Not to rain on your humor

Not to rain on your humor parade, Bulldog, but I do have a suggestion for a vaccine.

I doubt anyone will be surprised:

Classes in critical thinking and skepticism. Early on. I'm talking as soon as the kids have a pretty good grasp of language. That'd be 2nd grade or so (by US standards).

EDIT                                   

Oh, Hamby: Backsliding is often part of progress. Loose not hope until people are being regularly hung for teaching Darwinian Deamon Evolution.

"Anyone can repress a woman, but you need 'dictated' scriptures to feel you're really right in repressing her. In the same way, homophobes thrive everywhere. But you must feel you've got scripture on your side to come up with the tedious 'Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve' style arguments instead of just recognising that some people are different." - Douglas Murray

nigelTheBold
atheist
nigelTheBold's picture
User is offlineOffline
JillSwift wrote:Not to rain

JillSwift wrote:

Not to rain on your humor parade, Bulldog, but I do have a suggestion for a vaccine.

I doubt anyone will be surprised:

Classes in critical thinking and skepticism. Early on. I'm talking as soon as the kids have a pretty good grasp of language. That'd be 2nd grade or so (by US standards).

What?!? Teach kids how to think? Are you NUTS?

Those suckers ask hard enough questions as it is. I suppose the next thing you're going to suggest is that we stop beating the imagination out of them.

"Yes, I seriously believe that consciousness is a product of a natural process. I find that the neuroscientists, psychologists, and philosophers who proceed from that premise are the ones who are actually making useful contributions to our understanding of the mind." - PZ Myers

JillSwift
Superfan
JillSwift's picture
User is offlineOffline
nigelTheBold wrote:What?!?

nigelTheBold wrote:
What?!? Teach kids how to think? Are you NUTS?
Yes.

nigelTheBold wrote:
Those suckers ask hard enough questions as it is. I suppose the next thing you're going to suggest is that we stop beating the imagination out of them.
I may be nuts, but I'm no radical!!

"Anyone can repress a woman, but you need 'dictated' scriptures to feel you're really right in repressing her. In the same way, homophobes thrive everywhere. But you must feel you've got scripture on your side to come up with the tedious 'Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve' style arguments instead of just recognising that some people are different." - Douglas Murray

spike.barnett
Superfan
spike.barnett's picture
User is offlineOffline
I would have a couple

I would have a couple classes on it. One in Elementary, High school, and College. They would be required core classes, along with Mathematics as well. Mathematics won't cure theism, but I think it definitely helps develop logical thinking.

After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him.

The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.
MySpace

Badbark
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit

Hambydammit wrote:

According to a recent Guardian article, over 30% of British students believe in either Intelligent Design or Young Earth Creationism.  What's worse, nearly 20% said they were taught some form of Creationism as fact in school.  We're not talking about specifically Christian schools either.

I suppose now I'm going to go back in all my writing and retract my statements that America is the only civilized country backward enough to even consider teaching anything other than evolution.

And here I thought maybe we were making progress.  So much for that.

Here's a ton of surveys on religious belief in Britian. It's dying - slowly....

http://www.humanism.org.uk/campaigns/religion-and-belief-surveys-statistics

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Anyone got any ideas

Quote:
Anyone got any ideas for a vaccine?

Indeed. It involves shooting a hollow, sub-critical tubular mass of U-235 onto a solid spike of the same material... Sticking out tongue

Personally, I just think we should disallow those who propagate the idea that science gets us nowhere access to the products of said science. You think God has all of your answers? Fine. You can hand your home & other possessions over to someone else who appreciates them, ask God to feed you and keep you warm / entertained, and we'll see how well you fare.

Of course, fortunately for said creationists, the mast majority of scientists aren't nearly so cruel; I imagine that Jill's solution would be the one most welcomed.

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

- Leon Trotsky, Last Will & Testament
February 27, 1940

spike.barnett
Superfan
spike.barnett's picture
User is offlineOffline
Kevin R Brown wrote:Indeed.

Kevin R Brown wrote:

Indeed. It involves shooting a hollow, sub-critical tubular mass of U-235 onto a solid spike of the same material... Sticking out tongue

I'll have you know I've worked very hard to reduce my levels of U-235 to almost nothing. It wasn't very easy either.

After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him.

The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.
MySpace