favorite bits of logic for and against god.

ifywar
ifywar's picture
User is offlineOffline
favorite bits of logic for and against god.

awwwwwright peeps, in this tread post your fav arguements for or against god.

my fav is one against god.

disproving all seeing, all knowing, all powerful god is possible with logic:

if god is all seeing, all knowing, and all powerful, can he see what he will do?

if so, can he change it?

if he can, he is not all seeing. sure, he could see all possible paths he could take, but if he cannot see exactly what he is going to do, he is not all seeing.

if he can see what he will do, and cannot change it, then he has no will power, and is therefore not all powerful, but stuck on a track, predestined by something else. this begs the question; what made this track? apply the piece of logic already stated to see why there can be no track, nor any all powerful, all seeing being on it.

just some food for thought. eat it up! omnomnomnomnomnomnom.

all hail the great and powerful sluffywinks.

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
User is offlineOffline
"The Babel fish,"

"The Babel fish," said The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy quietly, "is small, yellow and leech-like, and probably the oddest thing in the Universe. It feeds on brainwave energy not from its carrier but from those around it. It absorbs all unconscious mental frequencies from this brainwave energy to nourish itself with. It then excretes into the mind of its carrier a telepathic matrix formed by combining the conscious thought frequencies with nerve signals picked up from the speech centres of the brain which has supplied them. The practical upshot of all this is that if you stick a Babel fish in your ear you can instantly understand anything said to you in any form of language. The speech patterns you actually hear decode the brainwave matrix which has been fed into your mind by your Babel fish.

"Now it is such a bizarrely improbable coincidence that anything so mindboggingly useful could have evolved purely by chance that some thinkers have chosen to see it as the final and clinching proof of the non-existence of God.

"The argument goes something like this: `I refuse to prove that I exist,' says God, `for proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing.'

"`But,' says Man, `The Babel fish is a dead giveaway, isn't it? It could not have evolved by chance. It proves you exist, and so therefore, by your own arguments, you don't. QED.'

"`Oh dear,' says God, `I hadn't thought of that,' and promptly vanished in a puff of logic.

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=

darth_josh
High Level DonorHigh Level ModeratorGold Member
darth_josh's picture
User is offlineOffline
If a perfect being creates

If a perfect being creates something and it is imperfect then the perfect being could not be possible.

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server, which houses Celebrity Atheists.

Sheepdog
User is offlineOffline
This one only applies to

This one only applies to specific branches of Christianity, but still interesting.

Are people who have never heard of Jesus exempt from his judgment? If so, wouldn’t the BEST way to save people be to NOT spread the word of God? And indeed, if God wants EVERYONE to go to heaven, couldn’t he exercise this same loophole himself by not making Jesus known to us in the first place? I posit that either God a) doesn’t want us all to go to heaven, or b) will not save people who have just never heard of him.

Either way, God's an ass.

Badbark
User is offlineOffline
How can the most complicated

How can the most complicated entity within or outside our universe be the beginning? Where did this entity come from?

There is zero emperical evidence for the existance of anything supernatural.

fishpasteplay (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
The logic there is flawed

The logic there is flawed due to the subjectivity of perfection.

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
I saw this recently.  - God

I saw this recently. 

- God is something than which nothing greater can be thought.

- An entity is greater if it can accomplish tasks with a handicap than without a handicap.

- Thus, God must have the greatest possible handicap.

- Non-existence is the greatest possible handicap.

- Therefore, God doesn't exist.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
butterbattle wrote:I saw

butterbattle wrote:

I saw this recently. 

- God is something than which nothing greater can be thought.

- An entity is greater if it can accomplish tasks with a handicap than without a handicap.

- Thus, God must have the greatest possible handicap.

- Non-existence is the greatest possible handicap.

- Therefore, God doesn't exist.

I love that. *Saves*

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.