Obstetrics versus midwifery

ragdish
atheist
ragdish's picture
User is offlineOffline
Obstetrics versus midwifery

Here's a topic I thought would be an interesting discussion among atheists. Does the practice of obstetrics dehumanize pregnancy and birth as per feminist dogma? And is the practice of midwifery which is "holistic" and not "medical" therefore superior?

When my wife was pregnant our obstetrician was a caring and intelligent physician. Our son was briefly managed in the neonatal ICU to rule out sepsis by a an empathetic neonatologist who was in charge of a team of very empathetic residents and medical students. And all of these team players were women whom thanks to feminism, have been given the opportunity to practice medicine. All of them were top notch and well versed in the basic sciences, pathology, pathophysiology and clinical medicine. Yet there seems to be IMO an irrational outcry among feminsts that the reductionism in medicine particularly in Obstetrics is somehow anti-feminist or misogynistic.

Midwifery on the other hand gives the impression that it is pro-woman with "natural" child birth without Pitocin drips, epidurals, episiotomies, fetal monitors, EKG etc.. What are certain feminists saying? Obstetricians (many of whom are excellent women physicians) treat pregnancy as a "disease" whereas midwives treat pregnancy as "healthy".

I personally think that pregnancy and birth should be in the hands of a caregiver well versed in science ie. anatomy, physiology, pathology, pathophysiology and clinical medicine. And if a midwife possesses that knowledge then why of course he/she ought to manage a pregnancy. Why should treating pregnancy in a scientific manner be considered misogyny? I find that a large portion of feminist dogma to be anti-science, anti-reductionism and not too dissimilar to Jehovah's Witnesses or any other irrational group that is suspect of the scientific practice of medicine.

Luminon
SuperfanTheist
Luminon's picture
User is offlineOffline
In this state was (and

In this state was (and probably still is for the most part) a dehumanized medicine. During the communistic regime, it was appropriate to work in pregnancy, after birth stop breast-feeding as soon as possible (maybe in three months, if I remember) and put the child into a creche, in daytime, to be able to work again.
The pregnancy and birth was treated like a disease. It took place in hospital, in the surgery room, with strong lights, with lots of people around, with nobody caring to calm their voice. The baby was took out, hanged by head down, smacked on it's back, and not given any time to spend with mother to form a bounds, often it was separated for days, for medical observation, weighing, immunization, and so on. Some hospitals boasts, how soon after birth they return the child to mother. Well, there is nothing to boast with, as they take them apart, in the first place! Other practices were also humiliating, if not misogynic. No privacy, shaving and clysms before the birth, no birth in a natural position (when a gravity helps it) and so on. I know that such things are considered necessary, but still it's nothing I'd wish the woman and child.
As for the immunization, that's a controversial thing. Some people says, that so early immunization is dangerous to the child. It seems like a common sense, that it isn't good to inject the body with an army of deadly bacteries in retirement, when it's not even nearly finished. The early vaccination is blamed for problems like allergia, dyslexia, dysgraphia, dyscalcullia, ADHD, and so on. I would personally decide to delay the immunization as long as possible.

However, I don't know if such a law is still here, but I had read something about it several years ago. It was about a compulsory vaccination of newborns, every rejected vaccination is punishable by a sum of 10 000 CZK (500 dollars), which is about my monthly salary and absolutely devastating sum for a young family. Such a family thus gets into a serious debts, can't pay their bills, can't take care of children, children are taken from them and put into a state care, and the family is destroyed. Just because they refused to participate on the state-enforced vaccination business. You see, the mafian ransom collectors have a lot to learn.

So obviously, I would strongly prefer an alternatives to obstetrics, like midwifery (birth assistant), birth houses, pre-birth exercises and preparation, and so on. In case of predictable diffculties with the birth, a doctor and a hospital would be necessary. In such a case I'd prefer an intelligent and caring doctor, who has some respect to the woman and doesn't just pull out the foetuses. Of course, the doctor or midwife must be educated in medicine and anatomy, that's obvious, I hope.

But what's actually the scientific treatment in pregnancy? The kind of obstetrics I described seems very sophisticated and technologic, but it's not scientific at all. The child is accustomed to a dark, cramped, warm, soft and silent environment, and is harshly pulled out into a sharply enlightened, vast space full of noise, is wrapped into a sand-paper-like towel, and separated from the mother. This must produce a great shock, which is a reason why so many people has a problems like migrene in their later life. My mother did a lot of regression therapy sessions with taking the client to a moment of their birth, where the problem was, the so-called scientific birth, which rather resembles a butchery.
The real scientific birth is more simulating the actual environment in womb, the low lights, warm air, silence, maximal privacy and minimal stress, no crowd of medical staff around. Alternatively, a birth in water pool is also an interesting choice, providing maybe even better circumstances.

A knowledge of traditional midwives may not be entirely unscientific, after all. There was a habit to give the woman a smell of a sweated man's shirt. Reputedly, some scientists observed, that a feromones in male sweat started to produce some hormones in woman's body which made the birth more easy and less painful. Thus, the presence of a husband at birth may be a good idea, or at least harmless and psychologically encouraging for the woman. Yeah, that's another thing which the local communistic medicine didn't like.

Beings who deserve worship don't demand it. Beings who demand worship don't deserve it.

ragdish
atheist
ragdish's picture
User is offlineOffline
Luminon, do you have evidence to back your claims?

Luminon wrote:

In this state was (and probably still is for the most part) a dehumanized medicine. During the communistic regime.....

What exactly does communism have to do with this? I suppose pregnancy in a capitalist regime based on profiting from healthcare is more humane? Furthermore, do you have any evidence that a practicing obstetrician would still have a license and not sent to court if he/she hung a baby upside down, smacked its back and delayed breastfeeding?

Luminon wrote:

As for the immunization, that's a controversial thing. Some people says, that so early immunization is dangerous to the child. It seems like a common sense, that it isn't good to inject the body with an army of deadly bacteries in retirement, when it's not even nearly finished....

Where is your scientific evidence to back this claim? In this day and age would you seriously tell a parent to delay vaccination without any conclusive evidence that vaccines lead to the conditions you claim? "Some people say..." is not science. It's just like "some people say God exists" therefore God exists, right?

Luminon wrote:
In such a case I'd prefer an intelligent and caring doctor, who has some respect to the woman and doesn't just pull out the foetuses.

If any doctor is not intelligent and caring and "pulls out the foetuses" then he/she should lose his/her license. Similarly any nurse, midwife, social worker, etc.. who is not caring, should lose their licenses. This statement says nothing about the science of medicine.

Luminon wrote:

The child is accustomed to a dark, cramped, warm, soft and silent environment, and is harshly pulled out into a sharply enlightened, vast space full of noise, is wrapped into a sand-paper-like towel, and separated from the mother. This must produce a great shock, which is a reason why so many people has a problems like migrene in their later.......

As a practicing Neurologist, I can stake my life on this that exposure to the post-natal environment does not increase the incidence of migraines. In fact, keeping a newborn in a dark environment would likely upset the plastic changes in the occipital cortex.

I find a lot of your statements driven more by an emotional negativity rather than by science. And mind you, the majority of obstetricians and their support staff take great pains to make pregnancy painless experience for a woman and the technology utilized based on scientific evidence is towards the safety of mother and child. If this is regarded as some malicious attempt by the medical establishment to inflict cruelty, then that is a statement of ignorance. If a midwife fully agrees with up to date scientific evidence towards the welfare of mom and baby and is a co-caregiver for a pregnant woman then hats off to him/her. Also I'm sure there are bad midwives just as there are bad doctors. Just likel there are bad politicians, lawyers, etc.. Just because it is under the banner of "feminism" doesn't automatically make it better.

anniet
Silver Member
User is offlineOffline
Here's my 2 cents.  I think

Here's my 2 cents.  I think what you are seeing is a situation with a pretty bad history that has made progress for the better.  Talk to your mother about her birth experience(s) and compare that to what you and your wife have experienced and you can see how doctors have gotten a bad reputation.  There has been a tradition of intervention when it was not necessary in order to make a birth conform more closely to some medical ideal of how it should go.  In reality, a birth can go many different ways and still be fine.  It's often better to take a hands off approach and allow the woman's body to manage the birth process rather than to actively intervene.  There are most certainly situations when intervention is necessary.  However, the approach of intervening only when truly necessary is relatively new in modern medicine.

Also, given that most doctors were men and women were not encouraged to obtain much education, what a woman had to say was not listened to very well.  The doctor knew better.  When you're trying to pop out a kid, being ignored and just told to obey isn't going to go over very well.  Fortunately, this has changed in most places, but old attitudes often linger in some places.  And pregnancy is natural and not disease.  It doesn't need to be cured, but helped along.  Yes, there can be fatal complications.  In those cases you do need to have the active management a fully trained physician can provide, but that is not how the majority of births go.

Finally, there is also a question of resources.  Doctors are expensive, and rightly so.  They have put more time and effort into learning more about the body as a whole than a midwife.  Sometimes that knowledge is needed, but often it's not.  An educated midwife specializes in how the body deals with birth.  She is generally more than knowledgeable enough to help a woman through the process.  She is cheaper and the doctor is not spending time on a routine birth when their expertise could be better utilized elsewhere.  Midwives make a great 1st line of medical care for childbirth.  We do still need doctors to attend to some births, but not as many as do now.

You will obviously find wackos at either extreme advocating that all births be attended to by midwives or all by doctors, but I get the feeling the medical community as a whole is transitioning more towards an educated midwife supported by doctor model.  Maybe that's just here on the West coast though.  Did you or your wife ever check out any midwives or non-traditional birthing centers when planning for the birth?

(Thanks for the topic!  Video games and blowing shit up are fun, but it's nice to read about something else for a change.    )

"I am that I am." - Proof that the writers of the bible were beyond stoned.

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Quote: Does the practice

Quote:
 Does the practice of obstetrics dehumanize pregnancy and birth as per feminist dogma?

I haven't been keeping up with my feminist dogma seminar.  I didn't know this.

Quote:
Yet there seems to be IMO an irrational outcry among feminsts that the reductionism in medicine particularly in Obstetrics is somehow anti-feminist or misogynistic.

Hmm... if true, they can outcry all they want, and until I hear a good defense of the claim, I would discount it for lack of substance.  I think it's a good idea to let the people who know the most about birthing help with birthing.  Duh.

Quote:
Midwifery on the other hand gives the impression that it is pro-woman with "natural" child birth without Pitocin drips, epidurals, episiotomies, fetal monitors, EKG etc.. What are certain feminists saying? Obstetricians (many of whom are excellent women physicians) treat pregnancy as a "disease" whereas midwives treat pregnancy as "healthy".

If this is the argument, then I suggest we eliminate cancer treatment facilities as well.  Have you ever been to one of those?  They're quite sterile and lack all the niceties of home.

Quote:
And if a midwife possesses that knowledge then why of course he/she ought to manage a pregnancy.

If you've got the money to have a professional come to your home for the birth, so much the better for you.  Homes are more comfortable than hospitals.

Quote:
Why should treating pregnancy in a scientific manner be considered misogyny?

By the way, I'd really like a link to some of this feminist dogma.  I've never heard it, and am interested to know who's saying it.  I'm just playing devil's advocate here.  The only thing I can think of is that reducing pregnancy to science could be viewed as "unweaving the rainbow" about female worship or the "magic" of being a woman.  I've met a few feminists who seem to believe that women have magic powers, or at least the natural equivalent of them.  Is that the kind of thing you're talking about?

I dunno.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

ragdish
atheist
ragdish's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote:  By the

Hambydammit wrote:

By the way, I'd really like a link to some of this feminist dogma.  I've never heard it, and am interested to know who's saying it.  I'm just playing devil's advocate here.  The only thing I can think of is that reducing pregnancy to science could be viewed as "unweaving the rainbow" about female worship or the "magic" of being a woman.  I've met a few feminists who seem to believe that women have magic powers, or at least the natural equivalent of them.  Is that the kind of thing you're talking about?

I dunno.

Here's a link to a google book on feminism and midwifery. I think you'll find Box 4.1 on page 45 of interest:

Pregnancy, Birth and Maternity Care: Feminist Perspectives

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 It says pages 17-50 aren't

It says pages 17-50 aren't available to me.  Can you cut and paste?

By the way, I've not really spent much time researching current trends in feminism because I prefer to build a case from the ground up rather than constantly trying to refute someone else's case, and because it's difficult for me to latch onto any one thing and call it feminism.  To my observation, saying you're a feminists contains about as much information as saying you play "alternative" music.

Is it your opinion that there is something which can properly be defined as feminism which contains a fundamental error that is destructive and needs to be addressed?  I ask because from where I sit, addressing feminists is about the same as addressing hippies.  The category is too broad to be meaningful.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

Books about atheism

ragdish
atheist
ragdish's picture
User is offlineOffline
anniet wrote:Here's my 2

anniet wrote:

Here's my 2 cents.  I think what you are seeing is a situation with a pretty bad history that has made progress for the better.  Talk to your mother about her birth experience(s) and compare that to what you and your wife have experienced and you can see how doctors have gotten a bad reputation.  There has been a tradition of intervention when it was not necessary in order to make a birth conform more closely to some medical ideal of how it should go.  In reality, a birth can go many different ways and still be fine.  It's often better to take a hands off approach and allow the woman's body to manage the birth process rather than to actively intervene.  There are most certainly situations when intervention is necessary.  However, the approach of intervening only when truly necessary is relatively new in modern medicine.

Also, given that most doctors were men and women were not encouraged to obtain much education, what a woman had to say was not listened to very well.  The doctor knew better.  When you're trying to pop out a kid, being ignored and just told to obey isn't going to go over very well.  Fortunately, this has changed in most places, but old attitudes often linger in some places.  And pregnancy is natural and not disease.  It doesn't need to be cured, but helped along.  Yes, there can be fatal complications.  In those cases you do need to have the active management a fully trained physician can provide, but that is not how the majority of births go.

Finally, there is also a question of resources.  Doctors are expensive, and rightly so.  They have put more time and effort into learning more about the body as a whole than a midwife.  Sometimes that knowledge is needed, but often it's not.  An educated midwife specializes in how the body deals with birth.  She is generally more than knowledgeable enough to help a woman through the process.  She is cheaper and the doctor is not spending time on a routine birth when their expertise could be better utilized elsewhere.  Midwives make a great 1st line of medical care for childbirth.  We do still need doctors to attend to some births, but not as many as do now.

You will obviously find wackos at either extreme advocating that all births be attended to by midwives or all by doctors, but I get the feeling the medical community as a whole is transitioning more towards an educated midwife supported by doctor model.  Maybe that's just here on the West coast though.  Did you or your wife ever check out any midwives or non-traditional birthing centers when planning for the birth?

(Thanks for the topic!  Video games and blowing shit up are fun, but it's nice to read about something else for a change.    )

There is no debating your excellent points. Historically, the fate of women at the hands of obstetricians was appalling. And I would argue that there is enormous scientific data supporting the non-interventionist management of pregnancy which is exactly what my spouse went through. My argument is that in our current age, the field of Obstetrics is based on scientific evidence. A medical student learns in detail reproductive physiology, biochemistry, anatomy, pathology, pharmacology, pathophysiology and clinical medicine. Do they learn all this purely to detect when something goes wrong in pregnancy? Is a medical student therefore less empathetic than a midwifery student? Don't get me wrong. I'm all for the practice of Midwifery just I am in full support of Nurse Practitioners and Physican Assistants who align themselves with physicians. My critique is that Obstetrics of today is considered dehumanizing because of scientific reductionism and Midwifery is humanistic because it is "holistic" or even "spiritual". And as an atheist, I think any health practitioner (nurse, physician, midwife, etc..) should be well versed in science.

Let's put in in a different context. Suppose you are being managed by an empathetic and caring health care professional. That individual is in touch with your feelings and approaches health in a holistic fashion. Also that person believes the earth is flat and that angels assist in your health care. Would you as an atheist continue that relationship? Or would you feel more comfortable with someone who knows their field and has a strong scientific background?

Notxian (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
Isn't "holistic" one of

Isn't "holistic" one of those words that points in the direction of baloney?

ragdish
atheist
ragdish's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote: It says

Hambydammit wrote:

It says pages 17-50 aren't available to me.  Can you cut and paste?

By the way, I've not really spent much time researching current trends in feminism because I prefer to build a case from the ground up rather than constantly trying to refute someone else's case, and because it's difficult for me to latch onto any one thing and call it feminism.  To my observation, saying you're a feminists contains about as much information as saying you play "alternative" music.

Is it your opinion that there is something which can properly be defined as feminism which contains a fundamental error that is destructive and needs to be addressed?  I ask because from where I sit, addressing feminists is about the same as addressing hippies.  The category is too broad to be meaningful.

Hamby, after much effort, I can't seem to cut and paste the appropriate tables and passages from the document. On my google, I'm able to view those pages.

In regards to your statement on feminism, I completely agree. There are probably more feminisms as there are flavors of ice cream. I agree that Ayn Rand could be considered a feminist. I even agree that our gorgeous busty RRS co-founder Kelly O'Connor could be a "feminist". What I am referring to is mainstream feminism that you'll likely find in Ms. Magazine or the folks at www.feministing.com/.

Sage_Override
atheistBlogger
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Isn't "holistic" one

Quote:
Isn't "holistic" one of those words that points in the direction of baloney?

Most people think "holistic" means "natural" because it's usually put in league with "holistic medicine."  It's a common misconception because "holism" is a multi-faceted word and means a lot of different things to different people whether it's doctors, sociologists, anthropologists or even educators.

Jormungander
atheistScience Freak
Jormungander's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote: By the

Hambydammit wrote:

Some feminists despise the fact that doctors deliver children. When I unfortunately had to take a genders studies class at my university (which was just a class on baseless feminsit dogma and nothing more) I did learn about how feminists really don't like it that midwives have been largely replaced by doctors. We read "Exorcising the Midwives" by Barbara Ehrenreich to learn a little about this. "Exorcising the Midwives" is an article rather than a book, so if you can find it online you can read about why Barbara doesn't like doctors.

I think someone here mentioned something about feminists (I'm talking about the feministing.com angry/bitter type) not liking science. In my gender studies class we spent maybe a fourth the time hearing a constant assault on science as being a biased, Western and masculine epistemology that can not be trusted. We read "The Egg and the Sperm" by Emily Martin which is an article about how biology textbooks distort their descriptions of reproduction in order to make it seem like eggs are feminine and sperm are masculine. Total bullshit. The excerpts that they show in "The Egg and the Sperm" are simple, factual descriptions of eggs and sperm, but feminists hate them because they were produced by western masculine science. That class was a waste of my time, and angry feminists need to stop assaulting modern science.

For the record, my mother is unable to give birth and required caesarians to deliver me and my brother. Had she been stupid and had a midwife in her home rather than go to a hospital, both her and I would have have died. Hell, she even told me that her heart stopped during the procedure and that they had to revive her. Thanks to, as my gender studies professor would call it, Western masculine science, I am able to be alive.

And Luminon: one thing that bugged my in your posts is that you keep claiming that the womb is silent. I remember reading that it is quite noisy in the womb. Infants hear their mother's pulse constantly. I remember reading that it is about as loud as a vacuum cleaner inside of the womb.

"You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their necks and we hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours."
British General Charles Napier while in India

anniet
Silver Member
User is offlineOffline
ragdish wrote:There is no

ragdish wrote:

There is no debating your excellent points. Historically, the fate of women at the hands of obstetricians was appalling. And I would argue that there is enormous scientific data supporting the non-interventionist management of pregnancy which is exactly what my spouse went through. My argument is that in our current age, the field of Obstetrics is based on scientific evidence. A medical student learns in detail reproductive physiology, biochemistry, anatomy, pathology, pharmacology, pathophysiology and clinical medicine. Do they learn all this purely to detect when something goes wrong in pregnancy? Is a medical student therefore less empathetic than a midwifery student? Don't get me wrong. I'm all for the practice of Midwifery just I am in full support of Nurse Practitioners and Physican Assistants who align themselves with physicians. My critique is that Obstetrics of today is considered dehumanizing because of scientific reductionism and Midwifery is humanistic because it is "holistic" or even "spiritual". And as an atheist, I think any health practitioner (nurse, physician, midwife, etc..) should be well versed in science.

Let's put in in a different context. Suppose you are being managed by an empathetic and caring health care professional. That individual is in touch with your feelings and approaches health in a holistic fashion. Also that person believes the earth is flat and that angels assist in your health care. Would you as an atheist continue that relationship? Or would you feel more comfortable with someone who knows their field and has a strong scientific background?

Oh, I totally agree with you, but that's because I pretty much understand what my doctor is telling me.  I've taken the time to learn the basics about body systems and cellular function.  How many people don't even know the basics of such topics?  A doctor may as well be speaking in a foreign language to such folks.  It's not in any way the doctor's fault, but the patient many times has no clue how to process what they're being told about their body and what to expect next.  I can understand your frustration with such irrational people who would rather see a quack than learn enough to make informed decisions about their care.  There is a real criticism here that should not be overlooked though.  The uneducated person's accusations gain credence due to the failings of the medical profession. 

Most people trust their doctors - they don't for themselves know exactly what the doctor is talking about, but place their trust in the doctor to proscribe the correct treatment or lack thereof.  When you hear your mother's stories of being bullied by obstetricians and their support staff, hear about pharmaceutical companies hiding data, or read about legitimate malpractice cases, it all undermines the trust that you have for any doctor.  There are some legitimate, rational criticisms that can laid at the door of obstetrics as a whole.  That some people take this too far and start spouting nonsense is not surprising.  I am heartened to see the response of many obstetricians and their hospitals in regard to the criticism they've received.  As long as the majority in the profession keep trying to improve their practices I don't think the crazies will be much more than background noise.   Even the most hippie people I know (and I do know a few) want medically educated midwives who are backed by classically trained obstetricians.  Even people who want to tap into Gaia's energy, or whatever, when giving birth want the backing of modern medicine.  It just needs to be given by providers they trust who can speak their own language.

I'm curious, did you find the attitude you described to be a substantial problem in your area, or is it just something you found in passing?  Does it seem to you like this form of irrational behavior is gaining popularity, or is it just one of the many low level irrationalities to examine?

anniet
Silver Member
User is offlineOffline
Jormungander wrote:Some

Jormungander wrote:

Some feminists despise the fact that doctors deliver children. When I unfortunately had to take a genders studies class at my university (which was just a class on baseless feminsit dogma and nothing more) I did learn about how feminists really don't like it that midwives have been largely replaced by doctors. We read "Exorcising the Midwives" by Barbara Ehrenreich to learn a little about this. "Exorcising the Midwives" is an article rather than a book, so if you can find it online you can read about why Barbara doesn't like doctors.

Some feminists take on dogma that they run with and spend time creating new irrational precepts for us to shake our heads at, for sure.  However, getting rid of midwives was a bad deal.  Women were then forced to go to doctors who often ignored the concerns of the women, dehumanized what to many men and women is a very special event, and turned the focus of childbirth from a somewhat community oriented event to something that focused more on fees and profit.  A trained midwife is all that is necessary for most births.  Obviously, some births (like your mothers' ) do need medical intervention and should be attended to by a more fully trained medical professional. 

National Geographic just had an article on midwives in India that goes more in depth into just how important widwives can be within a community that you may find interesting.  The help these women provide lies more within their ability to navigate community politics and know when they do need to get the help of a doctor than in the medical training they do have, not that I am trying to discount that aspect of what they know.    http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2008/12/community-doctors/rosenberg-text

I would be careful in dismissing the anger behind some of feminism so casually.  When the power over your body has been taken from you it creates a very powerful anger.  Now, of course, anger can be misdirected, but there is good in using that anger to affect change.  Yes, some feminist based material is rather crazy, but much of it is a 1st step at trying to solve millenia of oppression.  Good modes of change come from trial and error over time, not brilliant ideas conceived at the outset.

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Quote: We read "The Egg

Quote:
 We read "The Egg and the Sperm" by Emily Martin which is an article about how biology textbooks distort their descriptions of reproduction in order to make it seem like eggs are feminine and sperm are masculine.

That's just retarded.  The definition of male and female is sperm and egg.  We have to call them something, don't we?  Would it make them feel better if we called them "Milk" and "Cookies" instead of "Male" and "Female"?  What the fuck...

Books about atheism

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Quote:Women were then

Quote:
Women were then forced to go to doctors who often ignored the concerns of the women, dehumanized what to many men and women is a very special event, and turned the focus of childbirth from a somewhat community oriented event to something that focused more on fees and profit.

In all fairness, I think you may have a slightly rosier view of the history of midwifery than is warranted.  We westerners tend to romanticize small European style villages with little hearths and kettles and families huddling together for mutual support.  You'd be hard pressed to find many times in history when the family was more involved in births than since the invention of modern medicine and hospital births.  Most of what we popularly think of as "simpler," more natural times were restricted to the very, very well off, if they existed at all.

The simple fact is that most people throughout history have been tremendously poor, and life has been a lot more about just getting through the day than forming loving, self-actualizing bonds between extended family members.  Consider that even within the last three or four centuries, marriages built around idealized love have been the exception to the rule.

Quote:
Women were then forced to go to doctors who often ignored the concerns of the women, dehumanized what to many men and women is a very special event, and turned the focus of childbirth from a somewhat community oriented event to something that focused more on fees and profit.

When this has happened, it was not a problem with doctors, but a problem with the system in which doctors worked.  I know someone who photographs births and creates birth albums for new parents.  When I see these albums, I'm seeing families together, experiencing the birth as a family.  Sure, there are impersonal doctors, but don't kid yourself.  There were impersonal midwives, too.

While we're on the subject of midwives, did you know that midwives were the legal loopholes for infanticide?  It was common practice for families who couldn't afford more children to have midwives who would take a child into the other room and then "discover" that they had died suddenly and without explanation.  Let's also not kid ourselves about the very great temptation for biased or bigoted midwives to practice their own form of natural selection to suit their own tastes.

Quote:
A trained midwife is all that is necessary for most births.  Obviously, some births (like your mothers' ) do need medical intervention and should be attended to by a more fully trained medical professional.

I don't know about you, but I'll trade a safe medical environment and constant attention from a real doctor for my own cushions, and if it comes down to it, if I need my family to be around me at the hospital, they can pony up for a cab.  I just don't see any rational reason to have less than the best qualified person around for an event with so many potential complications.  Isn't a little bit of impersonal treatment worth knowing that you have the best possible chance of having a healthy child?

I'm sorry, but all of this sounds like emotional pleading without substantive content.

Quote:
National Geographic just had an article on midwives in India that goes more in depth into just how important widwives can be within a community that you may find interesting.  The help these women provide lies more within their ability to navigate community politics and know when they do need to get the help of a doctor than in the medical training they do have, not that I am trying to discount that aspect of what they know.  

India, especially rural India, is very much like pre-industrial Europe in many ways, and it is also subject to the same problems.  Sure, midwives can navigate community politics, but there's no reason to expect that they won't also navigate their own personal politics.  Every system has its problems.

Quote:
I would be careful in dismissing the anger behind some of feminism so casually.  When the power over your body has been taken from you it creates a very powerful anger.  Now, of course, anger can be misdirected, but there is good in using that anger to affect change.  Yes, some feminist based material is rather crazy, but much of it is a 1st step at trying to solve millenia of oppression.  Good modes of change come from trial and error over time, not brilliant ideas conceived at the outset.

You know I'm all about justified anger.  I would be very careful throwing around words without being really sure that they're justified, though.  Better to correct misplaced anger before it leads to bad social change, or so it would seem to me.  

Books about atheism

anniet
Silver Member
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote:In all

Hambydammit wrote:

In all fairness, I think you may have a slightly rosier view of the history of midwifery than is warranted.  We westerners tend to romanticize small European style villages with little hearths and kettles and families huddling together for mutual support.  You'd be hard pressed to find many times in history when the family was more involved in births than since the invention of modern medicine and hospital births.  Most of what we popularly think of as "simpler," more natural times were restricted to the very, very well off, if they existed at all.

The simple fact is that most people throughout history have been tremendously poor, and life has been a lot more about just getting through the day than forming loving, self-actualizing bonds between extended family members.  Consider that even within the last three or four centuries, marriages built around idealized love have been the exception to the rule. . .  There were impersonal midwives, too. 

I do understand what you're saying about poverty and the lack of ties that results from surviving rather than living.  My family alone has stories of children farmed out as labor and other practices that simply would not be tolerated today.  I'm not trying to state that the midwife system was perfect by any means.  However, one of the few areas of life where women had some control over their lives was taken away with the dismantling rather than reform of the midwife system.  I know this is a long shot, but have you ever read America's Women by Gail Collins? She doesn't spend a lot of time focusing on midwives, but the issue does come up several times.  I get the impression from this, other history books, and family stories that most women (excluding the very poor and very rural) had access to some sort of midwife within their community.  I'll admit that I may be wrong, but would ask that someone show me studies that show that access to even low-skilled midwives was not common.  Community does not have to be close-knit in order to serve a purpose.  Child birth generally is an event where a woman needs help, not fixing.  With the move of child birth to hospitals the attitude changed to one of fixing, even when that is not needed.  That has created its own set of problems. 

Hambydammit wrote:
While we're on the subject of midwives, did you know that midwives were the legal loopholes for infanticide?  It was common practice for families who couldn't afford more children to have midwives who would take a child into the other room and then "discover" that they had died suddenly and without explanation.  

I did know this, but it is good to point out.  Given the lack of access to birth control in former times, I don't have a problem with this.  Given the choice between a quick end and unending suffering due to outright abuse and/or starvation, a quick end sounds fine to me.  As you noted above, life used to really suck for many, many people. Fortunately, we have other alternateives today.

Hambydammit wrote:
I don't know about you, but I'll trade a safe medical environment and constant attention from a real doctor for my own cushions, and if it comes down to it, if I need my family to be around me at the hospital, they can pony up for a cab.  I just don't see any rational reason to have less than the best qualified person around for an event with so many potential complications.  Isn't a little bit of impersonal treatment worth knowing that you have the best possible chance of having a healthy child?

I'm sorry, but all of this sounds like emotional pleading without substantive content.

Well, we differ on this point.  I've known of too many people throughout my life who have safely given birth at home to see a non-traditional setting for the birth as a bad idea.  Child birth is an intense enough situation that I prefer a known environment where I can control as much of the situation as possible and be as comfortable as possible.  This allows me, as the person ultimately directing the birth, to focus as much as is possible on what I am doing without distraction.  I (and others) find a clinical setting distracting.  Keep in mind you're talking with someone who likes science here.  Imagine what women who are afraid of science see when entering a hospital.  How does that change their ability to function effectively during the birth?  In a good functioning birth it is the woman herself, not the doctor or widwife, who is doing most of the work.  All of her needs should be taken into account.  There does have to be a good plan in place for moving a woman giving birth to a hospital quickly should any complications arise.  I'll also agree that some women should be in the hospital from the start as they are high risk. 

You're right that there is an emotional appeal in my position.  The whole birth process is highly emotional, from the changing hormone levels to the relief in finally seeing the finished product be mad at having to change environments.  The emotional and physical comfort of the woman involved should not be ignored.  I would agree that this should take a backseat to any medical needs, but the woman cannot be pushed aside as has often happened. 

Hambydammit wrote:
India, especially rural India, is very much like pre-industrial Europe in many ways, and it is also subject to the same problems.  Sure, midwives can navigate community politics, but there's no reason to expect that they won't also navigate their own personal politics.  Every system has its problems.

Sure, hospitals and midwife systems both have their drawbacks because they are run by people.  I don't think midwives are perfect.  I just think using midwives is a better 1st plan of action in the health care system than traditional doctors.  And, don't forget that using a midwife, like using a PA or RN, frees up a doctor for a case that really does need his or her attention and expertise.  Whether the health care system is in a place like India or the US, that's a distribution of resources worth looking into.

Hambydammit wrote:
You know I'm all about justified anger.  

Just one of the many reasons I do like thinking about what you write!

Hambydammit wrote:
I would be very careful throwing around words without being really sure that they're justified, though.  Better to correct misplaced anger before it leads to bad social change, or so it would seem to me.  

Sure, if somebody is wrong, they need to be corrected.  I've seen enough people wanting to dismiss feminism entirely and completely ridicule it as a movement because of some of the errors committed along the way.  Again, there are certainly ridiculous ideas that have been proposed due to feminism, but the movement as a whole has benefitted me, my sisters, my mother, my grandmother, and pretty much any woman who lives in the western world.  I would hate to see the baby thrown out with the bath water (yes, bad pun intended! ) .

What do the women around you (family, significant other, pizza delivery girl, whatever) have to say about their preferences when it comes to this issue?  I know my personal experience and that of those around me very much color how I see various issues.  Does their perspective differ from mine, and, if so, in what way(s) ?

ragdish
atheist
ragdish's picture
User is offlineOffline
anniet wrote:I'm curious,

anniet wrote:

I'm curious, did you find the attitude you described to be a substantial problem in your area, or is it just something you found in passing?  Does it seem to you like this form of irrational behavior is gaining popularity, or is it just one of the many low level irrationalities to examine?

I found this attitude a problem in general with the public's perception of medicine. I am a practicing physician and I will be the first to acknowledge that Medicine is an imperfect science. It will never be equal in stature to say classical physics or chemistry. But allopathic medicine is based on the philosophical doctrine of reductionism and this is what gets peoples' goat. In our time, both from religion and non-religious groups there is a pervasive anti-science which unfortunately has permeated the mindset of feminists. And paradoxically, were it not for feminism we would not have brilliant women in science and medicine.

There is a distaste for reductionism particularly in biology and in medicine because whether we like it or not, we are all a collection of interacting cells. And each cell is the result of a complex biochemistry. There are even many atheists who find this view repugnant. And in medicine particularly in fields such as Obstetrics, there is a vocal opposition to any form of reductionist thought particularly when this leads to caring for a pregnant woman. I know feminists will consider this statement misogynistic but it is a statement of fact. A pregnant woman and her fetus are a collection of cells. All human beings are a collection of cells. And the foundation of medicine is understanding the cell. Hail to Virchow.

But here is what the opposition totally fails to grasp. Isn't it truly a feat of nature as to how those cells interact to create what we call human. Isn't it fascinating as to how an incredibly large collection of cells interacting in an electrochemical manner results in a mind. Only a very few (me included) are blown away in awe at this.

It is reductionism in medicine that people dislike and and yes in part because of bigotry. Despite the fact that much of our history is tainted with misogyny and racism, there has been great scientific work that has led to modern medicine.

The French Neurologist Paul Broca discovered a region in the dominant frontal lobe that results in an expressive aphasia when damaged. But Paul Broca had racist views of human cognition. There are countless examples similar to this. Should we therefore scrap Broca's aphasia because Paul Broca was racist. Instead of a Neurologist, why not send those patients with such a language disturbance to a caregiver who is anti-reductionist and denies the existence of discrete neural regions devoted to speech because of the racist history of Neurology. Why don't we just scrap Neurology and Neuroscience altogether.

And while we're at it, let's go further and deny biostatistics because it is the product of the eugenics movement. And therefore, we must scrap clinical trials. Let's deny transistors because Shockley was a racist. That's right all of you who are working on your PCs right now must destroy your computers because they are likely infested with racist transistors. Or maybe if your computer crashes you could take it to a holistic computer repair shop that denies the existence of transistors.

Luminon
SuperfanTheist
Luminon's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm sorry, a bad click

I'm sorry, a bad click deleted my post

ragdish wrote:
What exactly does communism have to do with this? I suppose pregnancy in a capitalist regime based on profiting from healthcare is more humane? Furthermore, do you have any evidence that a practicing obstetrician would still have a license and not sent to court if he/she hung a baby upside down, smacked its back and delayed breastfeeding?
I don't mean a communism as such, but a particular regime in this state. It was about the times, a different medical and scientific standards, vastly dehumanized (normalized) society, despising of ecologic and health limits, and so on. It was a time of grey dullness, half-empty shops, missing basic necessities, and so on. I mean this particular state, the period between 1949-1989. I believe that a lot of standards, including hospital care, changed since then to a better level, but still there should be an improvement, compared to the standards abroad.
For example, I had read it's unacceptable for a nurse to not knock on the door when entering a mother's room. Also, here the personnel remains anonymous, while in other countries women have a right to know a names of the staff who takes care of them. Seemingly a details, but they may have an effect on well-being or stress and thus on the birth.

ragdish wrote:
Where is your scientific evidence to back this claim? In this day and age would you seriously tell a parent to delay vaccination without any conclusive evidence that vaccines lead to the conditions you claim? "Some people say..." is not science. It's just like "some people say God exists" therefore God exists, right?
My point is about the corrupt law which is not present in other countries (western Europe, for example) and is not really necessary, but rather harmful. Compulsory immediate vaccination hopefully belongs to the past, the parents should decide, if they vaccinate the child against some 100 years erradicated exotic disease.
As for the medical dangers, it is well known that a vaccines has an immunity reaction. Sometimes this reaction is not just a red spot on a skin, but a sickness-like condition. I believe it was more often in past, with less sophisticated vaccines, maybe it was considered normal at the time. And I have no idea what happens if a day or a few days old immunity system is exposed to these bacteries.

ragdish wrote:
  If any doctor is not intelligent and caring and "pulls out the foetuses" then he/she should lose his/her license. Similarly any nurse, midwife, social worker, etc.. who is not caring, should lose their licenses. This statement says nothing about the science of medicine.
Hopefully yes, but in this state is everything possible and doctors can hire a lawyer as well. Should I share some scary stories from last years?

ragdish wrote:
   As a practicing Neurologist, I can stake my life on this that exposure to the post-natal environment does not increase the incidence of migraines. In fact, keeping a newborn in a dark environment would likely upset the plastic changes in the occipital cortex.
I'm sorry for the unprecision. The migraines may be actually caused by complications like getting stuck in a birth canal. My father was one of such a cases and he had most of his life a strong migraines. He decided to try the regression therapy and he was brought back to experience his own diffcult birth in a full consciousness. This was a very diffcult experience, but also amazing, and after he recovered, his migraine was gone.

As for the other problems, I had read that newborns in a friendly environment of birth houses cries less or not at all, and even starts to laugh sooner. Of course, there is no dark there, just a weaker light, which must be surely better than a strong light, together with other factors. Btw, what changes in occipital cortex do you mean?

ragdish wrote:
   I find a lot of your statements driven more by an emotional negativity rather than by science. And mind you, the majority of obstetricians and their support staff take great pains to make pregnancy painless experience for a woman and the technology utilized based on scientific evidence is towards the safety of mother and child. If this is regarded as some malicious attempt by the medical establishment to inflict cruelty, then that is a statement of ignorance. If a midwife fully agrees with up to date scientific evidence towards the welfare of mom and baby and is a co-caregiver for a pregnant woman then hats off to him/her. Also I'm sure there are bad midwives just as there are bad doctors. Just likel there are bad politicians, lawyers, etc.. Just because it is under the banner of "feminism" doesn't automatically make it better.

Yes, my statements are based on inferior care in hospitals during the past communistic era, terrifying scandals in contemporary local hospitals, and rumors. No matter how objective I'm trying to be, I still prefer an alternative to the hospitals - the birth houses, which provides more comfort, but also pre-birth preparation and they surely have a sufficient medical expertise. (otherwise they wouldn't pass the standards) From my point of view, this provides an ideal compromise. "The Stork's" birth house in Prague is the most significant local institution of that kind and even a hospitals are starting to accept more of such a practices and they abandon the model of a woman lying on her back with legs bonded to a stirrups.
On the homepage of The Stork's birth house there is more about a risks of the medical birth, but I don't feel like translating it at this moment.
Maybe just a small bit:
In Holland, where the birth at home is most frequent, why only 6% of births ends with a caesarotomy, and in other European countries (where the birth is almost solely in hospitals) it's 25%? Why in the same Holland is a death rate of newborns and mothers below the usual 10%?

(Of course, more statistics would be nice, but people probably doesn't care about them so much, and if they want, they can write them an e-mail)

Beings who deserve worship don't demand it. Beings who demand worship don't deserve it.

Jormungander
atheistScience Freak
Jormungander's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit

Hambydammit wrote:

Quote:
 We read "The Egg and the Sperm" by Emily Martin which is an article about how biology textbooks distort their descriptions of reproduction in order to make it seem like eggs are feminine and sperm are masculine.

That's just retarded.  The definition of male and female is sperm and egg.  We have to call them something, don't we?  Would it make them feel better if we called them "Milk" and "Cookies" instead of "Male" and "Female"?  What the fuck...

If you can find it, I would recommend reading this article. It is the best example of anti-science feminism that I have ever seen. The worst part about reading that article was discussing it in class with other students. It seemed to be that I was the only one that didn't accept the baseless dogma presented in it. Other students agreed with Emily Martin that the biology book excerps shown clearly try to impose cultural views of what it means to be female onto eggs and what it means to be male onto sperm. Of course every quote in the article from a biology textbook merely gives a plain description of a human egg or sperm. Since I was the only engineer in that class (it only had about 30 students) and since the class had no scientists in it, I was the only voice of reason. It still makes me sad that I was the only student in class that didn't accept the article's claims as fact.

"You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their necks and we hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours."

deludedgod
Rational VIP!ScientistDeluded God
deludedgod's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Compulsory immediate

Quote:

Compulsory immediate vaccination hopefully belongs to the past, the parents should decide, if they vaccinate the child against some 100 years erradicated exotic disease.

Do you realize how ridiculous this sounds? Do you know nothing about basic epidemiology and exponential growth mathematics? (This is a rhetorical question). The fundamental principle of epidemiology is that a given disease can propogate through a host population given a critical density of the population has the capacity to host the disease. The capacity of a disease to propogate through a population can therefore be measured. If within a given population density, the disease cannot propogate if the number of individuals who can host the disease is below a critical n% then if more than n% of people are carriers, the disease can survive within the population. It is for this reason that children who are not vaccinated are parasites. This is not meant in the derogatory sense. They really are parasites in the medical sense as their immunity relies on the sustained immunity of the population around them to prevent the disease from spreading into the population and thus of them contracting it. It is for precisely that reason that vaccinations are mandatory.

"Physical reality” isn’t some arbitrary demarcation. It is defined in terms of what we can systematically investigate, directly or not, by means of our senses. It is preposterous to assert that the process of systematic scientific reasoning arbitrarily excludes “non-physical explanations” because the very notion of “non-physical explanation” is contradictory.

-Me

Books about atheism

Luminon
SuperfanTheist
Luminon's picture
User is offlineOffline
DG, I see no problem in

DG, I see no problem in there. Our high percentage of vaccinated population allows us to withstand quite safely some immunitary parasitism. Thanks to the vaccined children all around, it is possible to delay the vaccination, if the parents are afraid what it would do to a newborn baby. There is no-one around who could catch or spread small-pox.
Did you ever wonder where did children today get these very high rates of dyslexia, ADHD, congenital defects or allergies?
I'd say that environmental pollution for the most part, but you can't blame the parents for sparing the child one less dose of potentially dangerous liquid, until they grow up a little.

There was an administrator of nursery school in TV, who refused to have an unvaccinated child in her daily care. The argument was, that "other children could get infected."
You see there is a bit too much hysteria about it.

deludedgod
deludedgod's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Our high percentage of

Quote:

Our high percentage of vaccinated population allows us to withstand quite safely some immunitary parasitism. Thanks to the vaccined children all around, it is possible to delay the vaccination, if the parents are afraid what it would do to a newborn baby. There is no-one around who could catch or spread small-pox.

Don't you get it? You're making a fallacy of composition! If every parent relied on the immunity of others, then there wouldn't be any immunity. That's why there are mandatory vaccinations. Measles is making a powerful comeback in the UK right now because the immunization rates are falling below the levels required to block the spread of the measles. The reason we don't normally give the smallpox vaccine anymore is because smallpox is gone (except soldiers. Soldiers still recieve the vaccine because smallpox is stockpiled for use in biological weaponry). But smallpox is unique for its ability to survive only in humans. Thats how we eradicated it. All the other diseases we vaccinate for cannot be defeated in the same fashion.

Quote:

Did you ever wonder where did children today get these very high rates of dyslexia, ADHD, congenital defects or allergies?

Most likely from improved diagnosticians criteria.

"Physical reality” isn’t some arbitrary demarcation. It is defined in terms of what we can systematically investigate, directly or not, by means of our senses. It is preposterous to assert that the process of systematic scientific reasoning arbitrarily excludes “non-physical explanations” because the very notion of “non-physical explanation” is contradictory.

-Me

Books about atheism

Luminon
SuperfanTheist
Luminon's picture
User is offlineOffline
deludedgod wrote:Quote:Our

deludedgod wrote:

Quote:

Our high percentage of vaccinated population allows us to withstand quite safely some immunitary parasitism. Thanks to the vaccined children all around, it is possible to delay the vaccination, if the parents are afraid what it would do to a newborn baby. There is no-one around who could catch or spread small-pox.

Don't you get it? You're making a fallacy of composition! If every parent relied on the immunity of others, then there wouldn't be any immunity. That's why there are mandatory vaccinations. Measles is making a powerful comeback in the UK right now because the immunization rates are falling below the levels required to block the spread of the measles. The reason we don't normally give the smallpox vaccine anymore is because smallpox is gone (except soldiers. Soldiers still recieve the vaccine because smallpox is stockpiled for use in biological weaponry). But smallpox is unique for its ability to survive only in humans. Thats how we eradicated it. All the other diseases we vaccinate for cannot be defeated in the same fashion.

And you are making an exaggeration fallacy. I don't mean every parent and I don't mean no vaccination at all. The vaccination industry is a bit too influential for my taste. A bit of freedom would be nice to let the child grow up a little before we give a necessary libation to this industry. 

deludedgod wrote:
Most likely from improved diagnosticians criteria.
Something doesn't seem right about it. I don't know how about a schooling diffculties, but allergies may be the case. Most of population lived in a rural environment, let's say 100-200 years ago. In that time, things like hay fever would make the person useless for the most of their lifetime, because people had to work with hay daily. They lived in places with grasses, mold, dust, mites, insects, cats, dogs and livestock around. A common allergic child of today would be like an invalid in such a place. I know that, I live in a house of rural origin and if there's some more work to do outside in the summer, I need pills or a lot of handkerchiefs.

deludedgod
deludedgod's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:And you are making an

Quote:

And you are making an exaggeration fallacy

There's no such thing as an "exaggeration fallacy". The principle I am trying to articulate is quite simple. People are not a hive mind. If you tell people they don't have to get a vaccination, you have no guarantee you'll have a stable immunized population. You have no guarantee that a sufficient percentage of people will get the vaccine.

-Me

Books about atheism

Jormungander
atheistScience Freak
Jormungander's picture
User is offlineOffline
Luminon wrote:Something

Luminon wrote:

Something doesn't seem right about it. I don't know how about a schooling diffculties, but allergies may be the case. Most of population lived in a rural environment, let's say 100-200 years ago. In that time, things like hay fever would make the person useless for the most of their lifetime, because people had to work with hay daily. They lived in places with grasses, mold, dust, mites, insects, cats, dogs and livestock around. A common allergic child of today would be like an invalid in such a place. I know that, I live in a house of rural origin and if there's some more work to do outside in the summer, I need pills or a lot of handkerchiefs.

They just spent their time being miserable. Now days we have the options of taking anti-allergy pills, but back then people just had the allergies and could do nothing about it.

Also: did you imply that vaccinations give ADHD and dyslexia? Come on, Luminon. We both know that is nonsense. That is as wrong as the people who say that vaccinations cause retardation. In the US that is the lie people use to try and convince others that vaccinations are bad: that vaccinations make children retarded.

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Quote:Also: did you imply

Quote:
Also: did you imply that vaccinations give ADHD and dyslexia? Come on, Luminon. We both know that is nonsense.

You forget rule number one of "Being Luminon."  If it sounds like a conspiracy, it's true.

Books about atheism

Luminon
SuperfanTheist
Luminon's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit

Hambydammit wrote:

Quote:
Also: did you imply that vaccinations give ADHD and dyslexia? Come on, Luminon. We both know that is nonsense.

You forget rule number one of "Being Luminon."  If it sounds like a conspiracy, it's true.
It's common for medicines to have a side effects. For example, the heart pills are like you have to decide if you like your heart or your liver more. Of course, I can't know if there are some consequences with vaccines if injected to too young babies, but there may be some. This is why I'd personally wait with vaccination for several months, or a year. Just to be sure. You know how it is with medicine, it's a quickly advancing science, what's extremely unhealthy one year, next year it is proven to be healthy under certain conditions and vice versa.

PorkChop
Rational VIP!SuperfanSilver Member
User is offlineOffline
A twist

Hi ragdish,

This is quite the debate in the world of birthing mothers.  Have you seen 'The Business of Being Born'?  It's available on netflix. 

The division of Midwife and Doctor is not so clearcut here in my world.  I do ultrasound in a midwifery clinic.  That, combined with monitoring, collecting motherly stats, and a doctor's supervision of the whole deal blurs the line that you mentioned.  These midwives even do their delivering in hospital.  I believe the main comfort that these midwifey women provide to the mothers is constant emotional support and non-judgemental attention to the wishes of the mom. 

As a photographer of birth, I have also had the opportunity to take part in a Home birth complete with midwife, candles, singing, and so on.  This mother still had prenatal care consisting of ultrasounds and data collecting.  She then had to secretly break the laws of this state and arrange her doula (midwife) to come to her house to deliver her child.  This doula had all manner of medical supply, knowledge, and even a fetal monitor!  This particular mother, from what I gathered in later conversations, had the ideal birth.  She even experienced what is known as 'Ecstatic Birth'...that is the onset of orgasm at the moment of childbirth!  She was SMILING as the head came out!!  It was amazing to watch her body move through the steps in such a pleasant, joyful way for her and her family. 

As far as the feminist dogma, I do believe that some folks have valid points (some hospitals/doctors push patients into things without proper information/decision-making) and that some folks just like to bitch.  The latter wouldn't be happy if they were given everything they say they want...they just cannot be satisfied.

Either way...I believe the mother should be completely informed and be able to make whatever decision she chooses.  I am a big fan of choosing.

ragdish
atheist
ragdish's picture
User is offlineOffline
PorkChop wrote:Hi

PorkChop wrote:

Hi ragdish,

This is quite the debate in the world of birthing mothers.  Have you seen 'The Business of Being Born'?  It's available on netflix. 

The division of Midwife and Doctor is not so clearcut here in my world.  I do ultrasound in a midwifery clinic.  That, combined with monitoring, collecting motherly stats, and a doctor's supervision of the whole deal blurs the line that you mentioned.  These midwives even do their delivering in hospital.  I believe the main comfort that these midwifey women provide to the mothers is constant emotional support and non-judgemental attention to the wishes of the mom........ 

From what you described, I see no distinction between obstetrician and midwife. What you described is analogous to a nurse practitioner or physician assistant who is working under the supervision of a physician. The monitoring and data collection is utilizing the methods of science for the care of mother and fetus. Like I said before, any health practitioner that fully respects science and strips their care of any spooky holistic/spiritual crap is truly maintaining the integrity of his/her profession. Once again, if an obstetrician does not provide emotional support and non-judgemental attention then that individual should not have graduated from medical school. The only possible distinction I see in the clinic you described is that the obstetrician likely has to care for multiple pregnant women and may not be able to devote enough time to a particular individual. Whereas, the midwife may have fewer. In this regard, for the sake of the woman's emotional comfort requiring the constant attention of a caregiver, I would give 100% support to a clinic in which doctors and midwives co-manage in a collegial manner.

ragdish
atheist
ragdish's picture
User is offlineOffline
Porkchop would you see a homeopathic obstetrician or midwife?

Just curious.

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Just to be really clear, I

Just to be really clear, I have no objection to births at home.  If you scroll up, you'll see where I said that it's great if you can afford it or happen to be tight with someone who'll do you a favor.  What I object to is giving women less than good care in the name of homeopathy or "natural" childbirth.

I think if we're going to be fair we have to separate the midwives of old from the nice if slightly hippiefied candle burning trained practitioners of today.  In most European villages before the industrial revolution, a midwife was your only option if there was to be an attendant.  Please remember that there wasn't even a midwife available all the time.  Many women gave birth without anyone to help besides her husband (if he hadn't left her -- abandonment was very common in the working classes) or children (who certainly weren't trained in obstetrics.)  Let's not pretend like we really think every woman had a gray haired wisened mother to help.  Many of their mothers were long dead from childbirth, which ranked up their with the black plague as one of the number one killers of women.

Please, let's not romanticize the past to the detriment of the present.  The most uncaring doctor in a hospital is at least twenty steps up from dying in childbirth or causing serious problems with the baby.  So, just to make sure I'm coming through loud and clear, I have no issue with home birth if the birthing assistants (no matter what we call them) are trained in obstetrics.  But I refuse to say that just because it's birthing, or that it's a female thing, that it's ok to have less science.

That's special pleading, and it's a fallacy even when it's about women giving birth.

Books about atheism

anniet
Silver Member
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote: Just to

Hambydammit wrote:

Just to be really clear, I have no objection to births at home.  If you scroll up, you'll see where I said that it's great if you can afford it or happen to be tight with someone who'll do you a favor.  What I object to is giving women less than good care in the name of homeopathy or "natural" childbirth.

Thank you for restating this.  I did think you were more opposed to some of the alternatives being explored recently.  I'm glad to see I was wrong- and probably should have known better, huh?  Smiling

Hambydammit wrote:
I think if we're going to be fair we have to separate the midwives of old from the nice if slightly hippiefied candle burning trained practitioners of today.

Absolutely.  The same as you would separate the doctor of those days from what we have now.  Both professions have used scientific knowledge to vastly increase their usefulness.

Hambydammit wrote:
 In most European villages before the industrial revolution, a midwife was your only option if there was to be an attendant.  Please remember that there wasn't even a midwife available all the time.  Many women gave birth without anyone to help besides her husband (if he hadn't left her -- abandonment was very common in the working classes) or children (who certainly weren't trained in obstetrics.)  Let's not pretend like we really think every woman had a gray haired wisened mother to help.  Many of their mothers were long dead from childbirth, which ranked up their with the black plague as one of the number one killers of women.

Definitely.  I think the difference in scenarios that you and I have envisioned comes from thinking of different times and places.  I had more 18th and 19th century settled areas of the U.S. in mind when I was writing about midwives in the past above.  I am under the impression though that women who did have access to midwives did fare better and had both lower levels of fatalities and complications.  I will admit that I could be wrong though.  Have you seen anything that shows that midwives were not beneficial, or are you also under the same impression?

Hambydammit wrote:
  Please, let's not romanticize the past to the detriment of the present.  The most uncaring doctor in a hospital is at least twenty steps up from dying in childbirth or causing serious problems with the baby. 

Yes.  I would assert though that even a total hippie midwife from today who lacks much of the training you would hope to find is far better than a doctor from the past.

I don't think most of us on this thread truly disagree with each other on any of the main points we have covered.  You are correct in wanting to make sure the past is not romanticized when looking at midwives.  I would like to point out the same when looking at doctors.  We lost a vital health care resource when both private and public players decided midwives were anachronistic and should be done away with rather than trained further as was being done with doctors.  Much of this was due to a cultural climate in which women and their intellectual abilities were not respected.  I don't think it does any good to harp on the past, but I do call myself feminist and like to see these behaviors from the past acknowledged so that they are not repeated even in small ways.  It is wonderful to see the options that women of my generation have in comparison to just the options our mothers had.  When you start comparing to grandmothers' experiences and further back the change is simply amazing and very meaningful. 

It's nice to be able to talk about substantive issues with people from other places.  Porkchop, I'm curious here.  What part of the country do you work in?  My sister was able to have a doula, but I had never heard of the option before her fairly recent pregnancy in a very hippie part of the country.  Are doulas and midwives becoming more mainstream options everywhere, or just mostly in areas where you find dreaded out citizens?

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Quote: Have you seen

Quote:
 Have you seen anything that shows that midwives were not beneficial, or are you also under the same impression?

No.  Midwives were certainly beneficial on average, if only because a person who isn't currently pushing a watermelon through a garden hose is much better equipped to handle emergencies.  In fact, I'm reminded of a piece of data I read about an outbreak of the plague in which a certain sect of Christianity fared substantially better than the surrounding country (I wish I could remember when this was... it's so foggy in my brain right now... it doesn't matter, though).  Of course, God was given all the credit, but it was much simpler than that.  For whatever reason, this particular group of Christians believed that God wanted them to keep plague victims as cool as possible and give them water.  In the surrounding country, the treatment for the plague was banishment outside of the city.

The Christians were right for the wrong reasons, but duh... they had a much better survival rate.

To call someone a doctor before about 1850 is to do a disservice to the modern meaning of the word.  Sure, they had a few things right, but for the most part, they were good at cutting off limbs and prescribing mercury and leeches.  All the history I've seen indicates that the main thing about having a doctor or a midwife present was that somebody was present and responsible for helping.

Quote:
Yes.  I would assert though that even a total hippie midwife from today who lacks much of the training you would hope to find is far better than a doctor from the past.

Without question, though I hardly see why the comparison is relevant.  You wouldn't suggest going to a 1700s doctor for anything else, either.  See what I'm getting at?  Comparing to the past is useless.  We have knowledge today that we have never had before, and any comparison between midwives of the past and doctors of today is meaningless.  All we can do is compare hospital births to midwife births today.  If the training and care are the same, great.  If they are not, then it's a bad idea.

Quote:
 We lost a vital health care resource when both private and public players decided midwives were anachronistic and should be done away with rather than trained further as was being done with doctors.

I can agree with that.

Quote:
Much of this was due to a cultural climate in which women and their intellectual abilities were not respected.

I'm not sure I totally agree with this.  Correlation isn't causation.  Remember, we let women teach in schools through some of the worst of our misogynist periods.  I think a little more digging might point more towards economic considerations than blatant sexism.  I'm not saying men weren't sexist during industrialization.  They were.  However, you have to remember that doctors were always men before, and the driving force behind hospitals was not an attempt to make women less meaningful in society.  (It wasn't as if they had much meaning out of the house anyway.)  It was an attempt to make things more efficient, more modern, and more like an assembly line.  That's what industrialization was all about.

Think about it another way.  Without thinking gender for a minute, think of all the jobs that were made obsolete by the industrial revolution.  Most of them were mens' jobs because most jobs belonged to men.  When we line up all the jobs that became obsolete between 1850 and 1950, we find that men were the main victims of technology.  Women get upset because midwives were one of the only respectable things they could be, but I can't find any historical evidence that the decision was primarily sexist.  This, in a nutshell, is what I think is the worst sin of feminism -- cherrypicking history to make things look sexist when they were not (or at least were not primarily).

If I'm wrong on that, I'll certainly recant.  This is not my specialty, but I've certainly read enough history to feel like I have a decent grasp on it.

Quote:
It is wonderful to see the options that women of my generation have in comparison to just the options our mothers had.

Like... being an obstetrician.

Books about atheism

PorkChop
User is offlineOffline
ragdish wrote:Porkchop would

Well.  That's a toughy.  I have chosen to not reproduce, so the real answer is 'neither'.  But, I will answer in hypothetical.

If I was having a child....hmmm.  I guess first you should know that, in general, I don't do things the way most folks do.  I have a tendency to 'customize' everything.  I don't mean that I have to have everything the most extravagant way possible, but that I generally see things from a different angle than most.  I've done school, relationships, marriage, money, diet, and everything in between in my own special way.

So.  I guess I'd probably aim for the homebirth situation...with a doc on call and friend/doula at my side.  I would not need all the hippy trappings (my time as a pseudo-hippy has passed) and such, but I like the calmness and time that is afforded the home birthing mom.  In a hospital, there is always an eye on the clock...nurses have to change shifts, docs have other patients, beds need to turn over, etc....  Often times, the pitocin is increased to get things moving when if you just waited a little bit, mom would have progressed on her own.  There is a whole cycle of medical needs that is put into effect when the first step is taken.  I don't care for that rushing of the mom.

Other than that, the hospital setting is not as sterile as it once was.  This birth thing is a money maker for hospitals...they have swanky birthing rooms now that feel like a nice house, and sweet nurses, and care packages, and all sorts of little bits that make mom feel special.  

Lots and lots of marketing.  That's hospitals!

ragdish
atheist
ragdish's picture
User is offlineOffline
PorkChop wrote:ragdish

PorkChop wrote:

Well.  That's a toughy.  I have chosen to not reproduce, so the real answer is 'neither'.  But, I will answer in hypothetical.

If I was having a child....hmmm.  I guess first you should know that, in general, I don't do things the way most folks do.  I have a tendency to 'customize' everything.  I don't mean that I have to have everything the most extravagant way possible, but that I generally see things from a different angle than most.  I've done school, relationships, marriage, money, diet, and everything in between in my own special way.

So.  I guess I'd probably aim for the homebirth situation...with a doc on call and friend/doula at my side.  I would not need all the hippy trappings (my time as a pseudo-hippy has passed) and such, but I like the calmness and time that is afforded the home birthing mom.  In a hospital, there is always an eye on the clock...nurses have to change shifts, docs have other patients, beds need to turn over, etc....  Often times, the pitocin is increased to get things moving when if you just waited a little bit, mom would have progressed on her own.  There is a whole cycle of medical needs that is put into effect when the first step is taken.  I don't care for that rushing of the mom.

Other than that, the hospital setting is not as sterile as it once was.  This birth thing is a money maker for hospitals...they have swanky birthing rooms now that feel like a nice house, and sweet nurses, and care packages, and all sorts of little bits that make mom feel special.  

I don't think you really answered my question. Let's set aside the midwife/obstetrician. Would you in general see a homeopathic health provider? For if you do, then you are accepting the supernatural and abandoning all science and reason for the sake of "better" care. I get the sense that the ultimate motivation for midwifery over obstetrics among the masses is the supernatural. It seems as though many women want spirituality from a midwife and not the science of medicine.

anniet
Silver Member
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Yes.  I would assert

Quote:

Hambydammit wrote:
Without question, though I hardly see why the comparison is relevant.  

Because I think you are painting a rosy picture of the role of doctors in childbirth.  From above:

Quote:

Hambydammit wrote:
If this is the argument, then I suggest we eliminate cancer treatment facilities as well.  Have you ever been to one of those?  They're quite sterile and lack all the niceties of home.
The main reason that I have seen for the increase in the use of midwives is that intervention is often not necessary in birth.  I'm going to assume that you would agree that intervention when unnecessary often leads to problems that otherwise would not have existed.  The role of a midwife is to assist in the birth, provide needed intervention up to a certain skill level, and get the woman to a more knowledgeable medical provider should she need it.  In your comment above you do ridicule this method of reasonable care.  Pregnancy and cancer are apples and oranges.  It is better to treat pregnancy as a body change that requires some assistance rather than a medical condition until and unless it crosses certain lines and does become a situation that requires aggressive intervention.

Quote:
Much of this was due to a cultural climate in which women and their intellectual abilities were not respected.

Hambydammit wrote:
I'm not sure I totally agree with this.  Correlation isn't causation.  Remember, we let women teach in schools through some of the worst of our misogynist periods.  I think a little more digging might point more towards economic considerations than blatant sexism.  I'm not saying men weren't sexist during industrialization.  They were.  However, you have to remember that doctors were always men before, and the driving force behind hospitals was not an attempt to make women less meaningful in society.  (It wasn't as if they had much meaning out of the house anyway.)  It was an attempt to make things more efficient, more modern, and more like an assembly line.  That's what industrialization was all about.

. . . Women get upset because midwives were one of the only respectable things they could be, but I can't find any historical evidence that the decision was primarily sexist.  This, in a nutshell, is what I think is the worst sin of feminism -- cherrypicking history to make things look sexist when they were not (or at least were not primarily).

Letting women teach in elementary schools is not an example of holding women in high regard.  Women were allowed to teach at the lower levels of the educational system as long as they stayed obedient to the stringent conditions imposed by the community in their personal behavior and didn't get married, not because they were trusted and respected.  Women were often used to teach because they would accept the low pay and harsh conditions that educated men often would not because a women with an education didn't really have any other option in many cases.  Who was going to hire a woman for more than the most menial of jobs?  Being allowed to teach had nothing to do with being respected enough to impart knowledge to children.  In fact, the wealthier families that could afford to spend on education hired male tutors and instructors.  That is a pretty good indicator of the regard in which women educators were held.

I do appreciate you bringing up the point of the role of industrialization as I had not given that as much consideration before as I should have.  Thank you.  However, I think you have a rosy view of the way in which society treated women in the past and their options for combatting the discriminatory mentality in existence at the time.  Since you have read a good deal of history you know how hard it was for a woman to get a decent education - almost to the point of impossible.  You know how few schools there were that would admit women.  You know how hard it was for women to obtain a medical education and then to practice upon graduation.  In this context industrialization affected men and women differently.  Midwives could not simply enroll in a medical school in order to advance their knowledge the same as a male doctor could do in order to meet the requirements of the changing system.  Given that women were expected to stay in the home if they could attain a standard of living that allowed this, were actively barred from education that could bring them in line with the changing nature of the medical system, and the low regard for the intellectual capabilities of a woman in general, yes, a case can be made for the decline of midwifery due to sexism. 

" . . . and common existing beliefs held that women were emotionally and intellectually incapable of learning and applying the new obstetric methods. Well-to-do families soon came to believe that physicians could provide better care than female midwives could and thus offered the best hope for a successful birth."

"Prejudice against the intelligence and capability of women, immigrants, black people and poor people was used to defame midwifery.

Midwives were not in a position of power; they made relatively little money, were not organized and did not see themselves as professionals."

http://www.midwiferytoday.com/articles/timeline.asp

The decline of the respect for midwives then led to their case loads being higher risk and therefore showing greater rates of fatalities and complications.  This hurt their chances at surviving even more.  "By 1900, physicians were attending about half the nation's births, including nearly all births to middle- and upper-class women. Midwives took care of women who could not afford a doctor." (same source)

Please don't misunderstand, I'm not trying to say that all doctors got together and said "Midwives are women.  Let's go persecute them!"  (Although I bet some such materials could be found by someone willing to devote time to offline research and look through newspapers, medical journals, and other writings around the turn of the 20th century. )  Due to the blatantly sexist environment in which they lived and worked, midwives as a whole did not have the ability to adapt to industrialization.  The causes of this inability were directly related to their gender.  That is a sexist causality.  

I can understand your wariness when it comes to such claims as a large enough portion of feminist literature is full on non-sensical cherrypicking.  It does pay to be skeptical of claims in this arena, but that does not mean dismissal without further review is warranted.  I haven't read enough of your personal views on feminism to know exactly what you do and do not agree with in this area, but I have read enough from other intelligent people who automatically dismiss feminism as unworthy of any review to want to highlight what the subject can teach us about the past.  Men are not the root of all evil.  Feminists are not just a bunch or irrational, emotional basket cases whining about the past as some people view do view those willing to lay claim to the name. 

I did do a bit of searching to see what further reading material I could provide on this subject.  There's not a whole lot online.  You might find this interesting (or maybe not) .  Smiling

http://midwifeinfo.com/articles/a-short-history-of-midwifery

http://www.midwiferytoday.com/articles/timeline.asp1920: Dr. Joseph DeLee, author of the most frequently used obstetric textbook of the time, argued that childbirth is a pathologic process from which few escape "damage." He proposed a program of active control over labor and delivery, attempting to prevent problems through a routine of interventions. DeLee proposed a sequence of medical interventions designed to save women from the "evils" that are "natural to labor." Specialist obstetricians should sedate women at the onset of labor, allow the cervix to dilate, give ether during the second stage of labor, cut an episiotomy, deliver the baby with forceps, extract the placenta, give medications for the uterus to contract and repair the episiotomy. His article was published in the first issue of the American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology. All of the interventions that DeLee prescribed did become routine. 

anniet
Silver Member
User is offlineOffline
ragdish wrote:I get the

ragdish wrote:

I get the sense that the ultimate motivation for midwifery over obstetrics among the masses is the supernatural. It seems as though many women want spirituality from a midwife and not the science of medicine.

I can only argue from personal experience here, but I don't think this is true.  I do know one woman who would ignore the science entirely and just look for some spiritually based new age whatever.  However, she truly is just 1/2 a step away from being committed to a mental institution.  Most women I've interacted with want a method that combines the medical knowledge we have available with an acknowledgment that birth is a life event that is special and does have an emotional component for them and their family.  They want medical intervention if it's needed, but they want the focus to be on the life event portion of birth to be primary if medical intervention is not necessary.  This would include women who are not very well educated and those with some education (defined as 2-4 years of college with a degree completed) .

Porkchop, given your job I'm sure your experience is much more relevent than mine.  Is this just what I'm seeing within my circle of acquaintances, or is this what you have found to hold true for a good portion of the women you see too?

Ragdish, is this an attitude you say in the other women in your wife's Lamaze (or whatever other similar) classes, or something you've found from research online?

PorkChop
User is offlineOffline
ragdish wrote:PorkChop

ragdish wrote:

PorkChop wrote:

I don't think you really answered my question. Let's set aside the midwife/obstetrician. Would you in general see a homeopathic health provider? For if you do, then you are accepting the supernatural and abandoning all science and reason for the sake of "better" care. I get the sense that the ultimate motivation for midwifery over obstetrics among the masses is the supernatural. It seems as though many women want spirituality from a midwife and not the science of medicine.

I guess I didn't understand.  But now I do Smiling

In general, I have a real doctor.  She is holistic in her approach, but not homeopathic.

I will have to disagree with you about the If homeopathic, then Supernatural argument, dear ragdish.  I think the folks that go the homeopathic route actually believe in the NATURAL.  It's all plant-based and body-mind talk.  It's about the power of the body, not a god.  I don't really think the women that seek midwives are looking for spirituality there...but rather support in Womanness. 

That's my take on the sitch, anyway.

ragdish
atheist
ragdish's picture
User is offlineOffline
How many of you honestly consider homeopathy valid science?

If anyone truly accepts the notion that diluting a substance to micro parts per million will increase its efficacy is just one step away from accepting intelligent design or the believing in the celestial teapot. If homeopathy isn't supernatural than neither is believing that Elvis is alive and works at a 7-11 in Knoxville, Iowa.

ragdish
atheist
ragdish's picture
User is offlineOffline
PorkChop wrote:In general, I

PorkChop wrote:

In general, I have a real doctor.  She is holistic in her approach, but not homeopathic.

I will have to disagree with you about the If homeopathic, then Supernatural argument, dear ragdish.  I think the folks that go the homeopathic route actually believe in the NATURAL.  It's all plant-based and body-mind talk.  It's about the power of the body, not a god.  I don't really think the women that seek midwives are looking for spirituality there...but rather support in Womanness. 

That's my take on the sitch, anyway.

What exactly is "Womanness" as opposed to "Manness". If you are implying that the field of obstetrics today reflects "manness" then you're insulting all those intelligent women physicians who practice obstetrics.

You do realize of course that homeopathy is based on the premise that diluting a substance increases its efficacy. And this simply violates the biochemical basis of drug action which is based on chemistry and then physics.

ragdish
atheist
ragdish's picture
User is offlineOffline
anniet wrote:Ragdish, is

anniet wrote:

Ragdish, is this an attitude you say in the other women in your wife's Lamaze (or whatever other similar) classes, or something you've found from research online?

This all stems from the broader public dislike of modern medicine with the rise of alternative therapies to be found in homeopathy, shiatsu, naturopathy, etc.. and of course, faith healing via prayer.

latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
User is offlineOffline
ragdish wrote:If anyone

ragdish wrote:

If anyone truly accepts the notion that diluting a substance to micro parts per million will increase its efficacy is just one step away from accepting intelligent design or the believing in the celestial teapot. If homeopathy isn't supernatural than neither is believing that Elvis is alive and works at a 7-11 in Knoxville, Iowa.

I don't know where you get your info Ragdish, but Elvis is not working in Knoxville, he is in missula, montana, working at a bar there, the baja bar.

Desdenova
atheist
Desdenova's picture
User is offlineOffline
I hate it when people equate

I hate it when people equate natural with health, just like when people call vegetarian diets ' healthy ' diets. Pretty much everything we use is ' natural '. Even if we force chemicals to bond artifically, those chemicals appear in nature, and are therefore natural. For that matter, uranium is natural, but I don't hear the new age nut jobs suggesting that you shove a chunk of U-238 up your ass to cure a headache.

At least medically approved treatments are regulated. Crystal waving herbologist dipshits seldom bother to tell their sucker patrons that too much corn silk can cause renal failure, that too much foxglove can stop your heart, and that too much willow bark can cause cardiopulmonary arrest. Street drug chemists show more accountability for the stuff they cut their dope with than the average tree hugging, spirit channeling, bead wearing, snake oil selling new age ' healer '.

< In my best Cartman voice > Goddamn hippies, go take a bath!

Now excuse me while I go chase down an Arctic hare for dinner, rip its throat out with my teeth, and season it with a dash of MSG.

It takes a village to raise an idiot.

Save a tree, eat a vegetarian.

Sometimes " The Majority " only means that all the fools are on the same side.

greek goddess
Rational VIP!Science Freak
greek goddess's picture
User is offlineOffline
You guys have make some good

You guys have make some good points so far. However, after taking all the input into consideration, I've decided that when I do have kids, it will take place here.

spike.barnett
Superfan
spike.barnett's picture
User is offlineOffline
greek goddess wrote:You guys

greek goddess wrote:

You guys have make some good points so far. However, after taking all the input into consideration, I've decided that when I do have kids, it will take place here.

That's the last thing I'd want to see.

After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him.

The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.
MySpace

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Quote: Because I think

Quote:
 Because I think you are painting a rosy picture of the role of doctors in childbirth.  From above:

Actually, that's not what I'm trying to do.  Obviously you've been around here enough to know I'm not a big fan of reproduction, and won't be doing it myself.  I think there are too many people as it is.  The mistake a lot of people make is in thinking that I am somehow anti-child.  I'm not.  Once a child is born, I am extremely adamant in my belief that the parents owe them the best upbringing possible.  In my mind, that includes the pregnancy and birth itself.  Anything less than the best birth possible for the sake of a "natural" experience is a crime in my mind.

I recognize that many pregnancies go off without a hitch, and that's great, but you never know until you're there, and if there is a hitch, the mother owes it to the baby to make sure that the best medical care is available right when it's needed.   I also realize that doctors often chemically speed up labor and so forth.  I'm not condoning any of that.  I think our medical system has a lot of problems.  I'm with you.  As I've said, I'm happy to say that in-home childbirth is fine so long as both the mother and the child are getting the best possible care first and the most comfortable care when possible.  It's a matter of priority.

Quote:
 The role of a midwife is to assist in the birth, provide needed intervention up to a certain skill level, and get the woman to a more knowledgeable medical provider should she need it.  In your comment above you do ridicule this method of reasonable care.

Umm... that first comment was not by me, and if you see ridicule in the second... um... you have a bias problem.  In fact, I'll get to the bias problem in a minute because I don't think you understand where I'm coming from.

Quote:
Letting women teach in elementary schools is not an example of holding women in high regard.

I didn't say it was.

Quote:
Women were allowed to teach at the lower levels of the educational system as long as they stayed obedient to the stringent conditions imposed by the community in their personal behavior and didn't get married, not because they were trusted and respected.  Women were often used to teach because they would accept the low pay and harsh conditions that educated men often would not because a women with an education didn't really have any other option in many cases.  Who was going to hire a woman for more than the most menial of jobs?  Being allowed to teach had nothing to do with being respected enough to impart knowledge to children.  In fact, the wealthier families that could afford to spend on education hired male tutors and instructors.  That is a pretty good indicator of the regard in which women educators were held.

This is all fine, but it's not relevant to my point.

Quote:
I do appreciate you bringing up the point of the role of industrialization as I had not given that as much consideration before as I should have.  Thank you.  However, I think you have a rosy view of the way in which society treated women in the past and their options for combatting the discriminatory mentality in existence at the time.

Here's where the bias problem happens in feminism, in my opinion.  Correlation is not causation.  Yes, I am very familiar with the way women were treated in the past.  I think it was awful.  I'm also aware of just how few options women had.  Half of what I love about evolutionary psychology is that it helps us to explain how and why humans are capable of this kind of thing, and it puts history in a much more understandable perspective.  To understand the psychology, one must understand the history.  Yes.  I am really very keenly aware of the historical plight of women.

However, I think it's important for us to separate our emotions from our intellect and to look at history as objectively as possible.  If it wasn't misogyny that caused a particular phenomenon, it's intellectually wrong to say it was.  Look, we can get together and spend hours talking about how awful it was that men treated women the way they did, and it might be emotionally cathartic, but the way to prevent things like that from happening again is to be absolutely clear on what happened and why and to apply them to the world today.

As I said, this is my primary gripe with most feminist literature I've read.  They take (very justified) anger at having been third class citizens for so long, and for still being second class citizens in some ways, and spread that anger to anything that looks remotely "anti-woman," even if it's only superficially anti-woman.

This is what I'm saying about doctors, hospitals and midwives.  It wasn't an anti-woman thing.  It was a pro-industrialization thing.  My example of teachers was not to say that it was a respectable career.  It was to point out that men didn't have to go out of their way to degrade "women's work" because it was already about as far down the respect level as it could get.  They weren't slapping women in the face by eliminating midwifery.  They were getting all the guys together, just like they'd always done, and building what would become the modern medical industry.  Midwives got swept to the side without much malicious thought because there was no need for them to be malicious about it.

Quote:
You know how hard it was for women to obtain a medical education and then to practice upon graduation.  In this context industrialization affected men and women differently.

Of course.  Men and women are different, though, and we have to expect that most things will affect them differently.  In this case, sure, it was bad for women because of scale.  Women had very little to begin with, and a very significant portion of what they did have was rendered useless by industrialization.  The point is that men also suffered in unique ways from industrialization within their own "man-ness."  Industrialization caused problems for everybody.  Sure, men were in the better position to begin with, but that didn't make their problems any less real or relevant to them.

Do you see what I'm getting at here?  Singling out females as "targets" creates a false sense of how culture works.

Quote:
Midwives were not in a position of power; they made relatively little money, were not organized and did not see themselves as professionals."

Again, I didn't say they were.  But you're going to have to choose which side you're on.  Were they crucial social facilitators within villages or were they insignificant unskilled labor?  If they were insignificant unskilled labor, why again are we trying to revive the tradition?  If they were crucial social facilitators, why would we expect them to have the same effect in modern America when there's little or no cultural resemblance to the time when they were important in this way?

Let me put this another way.  History and current feminism are loaded with emotionally laden preconceptions that usually don't do much to mend fences or promote rationality.  Are there problems with the hospital birth machine?  Sure.  Why don't we try to fix them without making appeals to a past that didn't exist the way we romanticize it?  Women can get into medical school very easily now.  There's no reason we shouldn't have lots of empathetic, caring women working in the birth industry, and there's no reason we shouldn't do everything we can do to make women comfortable and babies healthy.  Why don't we just look at what we have now and try to fix it where it needs fixing?  Why does it have to be about midwives being forced into irrelevance?  That isn't the issue.  The issue is that there are currently women who are having bad experiences with births.  This can be fixed, and part of the solution might be at-home births for women who can afford it.  But let's not kid ourselves.  The emotional satisfaction of "getting some of our history back" isn't the same as the practical solution to problems in the medical industry.

Quote:
Please don't misunderstand, I'm not trying to say that all doctors got together and said "Midwives are women.  Let's go persecute them!"  (Although I bet some such materials could be found by someone willing to devote time to offline research and look through newspapers, medical journals, and other writings around the turn of the 20th century. )  Due to the blatantly sexist environment in which they lived and worked, midwives as a whole did not have the ability to adapt to industrialization.  The causes of this inability were directly related to their gender.  That is a sexist causality.

Ok.  So... again, are we trying to right the wrongs of history or are we trying to fix the current medical industry?

Quote:
 It does pay to be skeptical of claims in this arena, but that does not mean dismissal without further review is warranted.

I hope you can understand my position better now.  I suspect you and I have the same goals in terms of the health and safety of mothers and babies.  I see no reason to make it a feminist issue.  So what if there were sexist motives behind the extinction of midwifery?  Do we have to make it a divisive issue now?  Why not ditch the feminist agenda entirely and make it a health agenda?  If births at home are a viable solution to existing problems, let's make it happen based on its own merit, not as a perceived "fixing" of historical wrongs.

It's sort of like Occam's Razor.  Can this problem be fixed without invoking feminist claims?  Sure it can.  So... why invoke feminist claims?

Quote:
 I haven't read enough of your personal views on feminism to know exactly what you do and do not agree with in this area, but I have read enough from other intelligent people who automatically dismiss feminism as unworthy of any review to want to highlight what the subject can teach us about the past.

I don't dismiss feminist claims because they come from feminist sources.  I just don't feel like feminists are as interested in unbiased progress as they are vindication.  That is a problem.

Quote:
Men are not the root of all evil.  Feminists are not just a bunch or irrational, emotional basket cases whining about the past as some people view do view those willing to lay claim to the name.

You've hopefully read enough of my articles on sex and sex differences to know that I don't pull punches when I discuss the negative aspects of being either male or female.

Quote:
1920: Dr. Joseph DeLee, author of the most frequently used obstetric textbook of the time, argued that childbirth is a pathologic process from which few escape "damage." He proposed a program of active control over labor and delivery, attempting to prevent problems through a routine of interventions. DeLee proposed a sequence of medical interventions designed to save women from the "evils" that are "natural to labor." Specialist obstetricians should sedate women at the onset of labor, allow the cervix to dilate, give ether during the second stage of labor, cut an episiotomy, deliver the baby with forceps, extract the placenta, give medications for the uterus to contract and repair the episiotomy. His article was published in the first issue of the American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology. All of the interventions that DeLee prescribed did become routine.

Again, if you'd like me to stand beside you and cry foul, I'll be happy to.  This was misogynist and sexist.  No argument.  Does it really have any bearing on the issue today?  Could we look forward instead of back?

To put it one last way, if there's something I'm missing, I'll be happy to reexamine my position, but I don't see how the ills of the past are particularly relevant to the discussion right now.

1) Are there problems with the hospital system's handling of births?

2) What are they?

3) What are the most scientifically (including psychologically!) sound solutions to these problems?

Is there anywhere in those three questions where we have an epistemological need for rehashing our sexist past?

Books about atheism

anniet
Silver Member
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote:Umm...

Hambydammit wrote:

Umm... that first comment was not by me, and if you see ridicule in the second... um... you have a bias problem.  In fact, I'll get to the bias problem in a minute because I don't think you understand where I'm coming from. 

I was referring to your comment, not Ragdish's.  Please forgive me if I've misunderstood what is sarcasm from you as "If this is the argument, then I suggest we eliminate cancer treatment facilities as well.  Have you ever been to one of those?  They're quite sterile and lack all the niceties of home." seemed sarcastic and ridiculing to me.  You're starting to confuse me as you've stated both that you're fine with the idea of home births, but that it is not the best option and therefore you're not ok with it. 

Hambydammit wrote:
Quote:
Letting women teach in elementary schools is not an example of holding women in high regard.

I didn't say it was.

OK?  Then what is "Remember, we let women teach in schools through some of the worst of our misogynist periods.  I think a little more digging might point more towards economic considerations than blatant sexism. " in response to "Much of this was due to a cultural climate in which women and their intellectual abilities were not respected." supposed to be telling me?  Again, I'm a bit confused as to your point here.

Quote:

. . .However, I think it's important for us to separate our emotions from our intellect and to look at history as objectively as possible.  If it wasn't misogyny that caused a particular phenomenon, it's intellectually wrong to say it was.  Look, we can get together and spend hours talking about how awful it was that men treated women the way they did, and it might be emotionally cathartic, but the way to prevent things like that from happening again is to be absolutely clear on what happened and why and to apply them to the world today. . .

This is what I'm saying about doctors, hospitals and midwives.  It wasn't an anti-woman thing.  It was a pro-industrialization thing.  My example of teachers was not to say that it was a respectable career.  It was to point out that men didn't have to go out of their way to degrade "women's work" because it was already about as far down the respect level as it could get.  They weren't slapping women in the face by eliminating midwifery.  They were getting all the guys together, just like they'd always done, and building what would become the modern medical industry.  Midwives got swept to the side without much malicious thought because there was no need for them to be malicious about it.

I am not looking for cathartic release or whatever here.  I sincerely do not see your point.  Yes, industrialization was a factor in most if not all societal changes seen during the same time midwifery declined.  All of society had to adapt to new ways of living.  Midwives were actively prevented from adapting due to their gender.  The profession almost died out completely because women were actively barred from functioning as professional midwives due to their gender, not market forces.  Industrialization did not bar women from higher education - a sexist mentality within society did.  Industrialization did not look down on the intelligence and therefore the capacity of women to be able to act as professionals - a sexist society did this.  Yes, this all happened within a framework of a society that was becoming more industrialized, but industrialization is not the cause of the decline of midwifery in the same way it replaced artisanal cabinet makers, cobblers, iron workers, etc.  You're right, they were not targeted for their gender, but because their skills were no longer valued in the marketplace.  Midwives did face problems simply beacsue they were women and women were not seen as capable entities.  It was not just a matter of replacing the job with better technology, but of a pervasice societal attitude saying women cannot be involved in something requires technical expertise because they are women and therefore not capable.  That is targetting based on gender.

Quote:
Do you see what I'm getting at here?  Singling out females as "targets" creates a false sense of how culture works.

I see what you're getting at, but I think you possible have not spent as much time thinking about this subject as you have on others.  Cultures most certainly can as have targetted one gender.  Mythology is not gender neutral.  The Abrahamic religions (and the societies that use them) are quite well known for targetting women for scorn and repression. 

Quote:
Were they crucial social facilitators within villages or were they insignificant unskilled labor?  If they were insignificant unskilled labor, why again are we trying to revive the tradition?  If they were crucial social facilitators, why would we expect them to have the same effect in modern America when there's little or no cultural resemblance to the time when they were important in this way?

Have you ever seen a dog that's been beat?  That dog can still have a number of useful skills, but not have any knowledge of its own worth.  Midwives seem to have played an important role within the communities that had them, but it was a role that was easily dismissed because they were women and women were not seen to be capable of much.  I'm not sure what you mean by the phrase "social facilitator".  They helped women with birth bith physically and mentally.  Today, they help women with birth both physically and mentally.  Of course the specifics involved in this have changed.  The knowledge regarding the physical has changed and the psychological needs have changed as women have changed.  You don't expect doctors of today to behave in the same manner and perform the same functions as doctors of 100-150 years ago.  Why would you expect midwifery to stay in some sort of stasis?

Quote:
Let me put this another way.  History and current feminism are loaded with emotionally laden preconceptions that usually don't do much to mend fences or promote rationality.  Are there problems with the hospital birth machine?  Sure.  Why don't we try to fix them without making appeals to a past that didn't exist the way we romanticize it?  Women can get into medical school very easily now.  There's no reason we shouldn't have lots of empathetic, caring women working in the birth industry, and there's no reason we shouldn't do everything we can do to make women comfortable and babies healthy.  Why don't we just look at what we have now and try to fix it where it needs fixing?  Why does it have to be about midwives being forced into irrelevance?  That isn't the issue.  The issue is that there are currently women who are having bad experiences with births.  This can be fixed, and part of the solution might be at-home births for women who can afford it.  But let's not kid ourselves.  The emotional satisfaction of "getting some of our history back" isn't the same as the practical solution to problems in the medical industry.

I think the focus is on the best possible method of giving birth.  You and I have gone off on a tangent regarding midwives in the past because we have different perspectives but do both care about how we got in the situation where we are today.  I like history.  I like being able to discuss issues from history with others who are well enough informed to be able to make me question my perspective.  That's why I'm still here.  Smiling  (I don't get this level of discussion with my 6-year old.  I'm hoping maybe someday, but that's definitely a ways off. )

This has nothing to do with romanticizing the past.  What worked in the past?  What didn't?  What have we forgotten?  What should we avoid?  These are all questions that historical study helps us answer.  We are at a place where women have been dissatisfied with the way births are handled for quite some time and they want better options.  Looking at midwifery in the past does help provide some ideas for how to handle birth in ways that work better for women while also utilizing the best medical technology has to offer.  What exactly do you mean by at home births for women who can afford it?  What is it that you're wanting them to be able to pay for?

Quote:
I hope you can understand my position better now.  I suspect you and I have the same goals in terms of the health and safety of mothers and babies.  I see no reason to make it a feminist issue.  So what if there were sexist motives behind the extinction of midwifery?  Do we have to make it a divisive issue now?  Why not ditch the feminist agenda entirely and make it a health agenda?  If births at home are a viable solution to existing problems, let's make it happen based on its own merit, not as a perceived "fixing" of historical wrongs.

It's sort of like Occam's Razor.  Can this problem be fixed without invoking feminist claims?  Sure it can.  So... why invoke feminist claims?

Sorry, but I'm actually more confused as to your position.  We do have the same goals, but are approaching the issue from different paths.  I sincerely do not think the problem can be invoked without looking at the history of the role of women in society.  There is a level of mistrust of anything associated with science amongst the general public that is simply appalling.  Do people still use technology?  Yes, but I don't see them trusting scientists or the services those who do understand science have to offer.  They know the results are likely to be beneficial, but they don't know why and they do know they've been lied to before.  Acknowledging the errors of the past does help deal with this broken trust.  Why not use some of the effort that has been put into feminism for good if possible?  Why not use some points from feminism if they are valid?  Would you not use an Islamic critique of Christianity in a discussion if appropriate simply because it is rooted in Islam?  I don't think so.  I think you'd use whatever is true and works.

I really do want to emphasize here that the whole birth experience is not just physical.  I know you understand that giving birth is quite difficult.  What I don't think you are seeing is the link between a certain level of mental preparedness and comfort and how that affects the ability of the women to perform physically during the birth.  Have you ever heard a long-distance runner talk about pushing through "the wall" to be able to finish their race?  I don't know of any other way to describe it but to compare it to that wall.  You have to be able to keep yourself focused and able to deal with the task at hand.  That is not some minor component of birth, but rather a central component.  This is an area where midwives are trained and classically trained obstetricians are not.  This is a good deal of why obstetrics is changing (looking at practices of midwives in the past) and why midwives and doulas are seen more and more as responsible alternative care providers.  It does not mean an abandonment of all that obstetrics has to offer, but a demand that obstetrics offer more. 

Quote:
1) Are there problems with the hospital system's handling of births?

2) What are they?

3) What are the most scientifically (including psychologically!) sound solutions to these problems?

Is there anywhere in those three questions where we have an epistemological need for rehashing our sexist past?

I think I've pretty much answered these, but am sure I've forgotten something.  My kid's movie is about to be over so I do need to stop for now.  Please do let me know what I haven't answered and I will get back to you just as soon as I can.  Thanks for being willing to chat.

anniet
Silver Member
User is offlineOffline
PorkChop wrote:This is quite

PorkChop wrote:

Thanks for the recommendation.  I finally got around to watching this today.  I'll admit I didn't expect much as it was a Ricki Lake project.  I was very pleasantly surprised.  I would recommend this movie to anyone.  Even people who don't plan on ever having kids are likely to know someone who will and it seems like a lot of users of this site do value knowledge for knowledge's sake.  Even my kid enjoyed this - that's mostly because he likes babies a lot though.